Retyped from Beers' "History of Greene County", by Sylvia Hasenkopf
The subject of this sketch was a son of Peter O’Hara and was born at Fishkill, June 1st, 1816. As one of a large family, his education was strictly practical. Reared to the hardships of those early farm days, with more work than schooling, he, at majority, realized the reality of life. With a capital of 50 cents, and the clothes upon his back, he started to fulfill a contract made with an Albany merchant, with whom he was to serve an 18 months’ apprenticeship for $10 a month. Before the expiration of his time the merchant died, and, in the employ of the assignee, he commenced peddling and collecting, to close out the stock. After attending school in Freehold for one term, he made another 18 months’ contract with another party in the same business, after which he continued the business for himself for nine years. His circuit embraced the counties of Albany, Saratoga, Schoharie, Greene and Delaware, with occasional outbranching trips. December 10th, 1845, he married Charlotte, daughter of Darius and Mary A. Briggs, of this town (Lexington), where he has since resided, one of its influential and successful business men, occasionally in official positions for the town, and ever a sound practical citizen. For 42 years he kept the principal store at the Flats, with which he combined farming. Owning but a house and lot at his advent to the town, he is now the owner of one of the largest houses in this mountainous region. This house, planned and superintended by Mr. O’Hara, by its ingenious plan, is at once convenient and economical. In addition to this valuable property he owns the entire site of the Fixbee Tannery and grounds, and in all about 240 acres of these valuable village lands.
To Mr. And Mrs. O’Hara have been born: Mary Alice, February 14, 1847; Edgar B., May 7th, 1848; Arthur D., May 26th, 1850; George P., October 16th, 1852; Arrietta, May 11th, 1854; Ida C., January 7th, 1861; and Anna Belle, May 3d, 1863.
Mrs. O’Hara died December 10th 1880, and was buried at Greenville.