Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men
J.B. Beers and Co.
Transcribed by Dianne Schnettler
The Swiss Home is pleasantly situated on the west side of Katskill Creek, near the village of Catskill. It was opened in 1869 by the present proprietor, Philip Plusch. Accommodations are furnished for 75 guests. Post-office address of proprietor, Catskill, N.Y.
JAMES H. BADEAU is the proprietor of a boarding house two and one-half miles west of the village of Catskill. The house is situated on a pleasant elevation, and is surrounded by a fine fare of 130 acres. The house was opened in 1873.
SUNNY SLOPE HOUSE was built in 1860 by Mrs. J. M. Williston, was rebuilt in 1878, and now has a capacity for 50 boarders. It is situated at Palenville, at the entrance to the Kaaterskill Clove, and within convenient distance of the principal points of interest in the Catskill Mountains. It present proprietor is P. H. Scribner.
THE PALENVILLE HOUSE was built by Daniel Center and Henry Palen, and was subsequently purchased by Henry Wynkoop. The present owner came into possession of the property in 1848. The house is pleasantly located in the Kaaterskill Clove. Pleasant groves and walks surround the place. The air is delightfully cool, and the water is pure. The house accommodates 20 guests. E. W. Trumpbour, proprietor, Palenville, N. Y.
THE MAPLE GROVE HOUSE, a delightful summer resort at the entrance to the Kaaterskill Clove, was built by the present proprietor, Philo Peck, in 1866. It is surrounded by a large, well shaded lawn, and furnishes good accommodations for 125 guests. It is situated one-half mile from Palenville post-office.
THE DRUMMOND’S FALLS HOUSE was erected by a man named Drummond, about the year 1803, and was rebuilt in 1869 by the present owner. The place is rendered attractive by magnificent views, cool air, pleasant walks and shades. The table is supplied from a farm of 110 acres, connected with the establishment. Hezekiah M. Dederick, proprietor, Palenville, N. Y.
OAKWOOD HALL was built by the present proprietor, in 1879, and is located at the entrance of the Kaaterskill Clove, about one mile from the Catskill Mountain Railroad station. From 25 to 30 boarders are accommodated here during the season. Edwin E. Goodwin, proprietor, Palenville, N. Y.
THE LAMOUREE HOUSE, one-half mile from Palenville post-office, was built in 1871, by Cornelius Dubois, and rebuilt in 1881. The Lamouree House is delightfully situated at the foot of Kaaterskill Clove, and furnishes accommodations for 15 guests. The place is especially attractive on account of the delightful breezes which are always to be found. Luman Lamouree, proprietor, Palenville, N. Y.
THE ECHO HOUSE, situated convenient to railroad station and post-office, near Black Crook Falls, occupies the site of a house built prior to the Revolution, and was erected by Newcomb Knapp, and subsequently owned by Dr. J. H. Blanchard, Messrs. Demarest and Myers, and by James Goodwin, who sold it to the present proprietor. The house furnishes accommodations for 30 guests. Forty acres of fine farming land are connected with the house. George Wynkoop, proprietor, Palenville, N. Y.
THE EDGEWOOD HOUSE, situated one mile from Leeds on the Kaaterskill road, was built by the present proprietor in 1855, and rebuilt and enlarged in 1879. About 40 boarders are accommodated here, and the table is supplied from a farm of 120 acres, connected with the house. Isaac Vedder, proprietor, Leeds, N. Y.
THE RURAL HOME of Harmon Cole is located on the old Susquehanna Turnpike, one-half mile east of South Cairo, and was built in 1843, by Benjamin Tundell. The Katskill Creek flows through the farm, affording fine fishing, boating, and bathing. The rooms are commodious and pleasant, accommodating about 30 guests. Post-office address of the proprietor is South Cairo, N. Y.
CALVIN C. WOOLHISER is the proprietor of a boarding house in the southwestern part of the village of Catskill, near the Sulphur Springs. The house was built in 1873 by Michael Decker, and was subsequently owned by J. Fiero jr., of whom it was purchased by the present owner. About 35 guests are accommodated during the summer season.
NATHAN B. FIERO is the proprietor of a boarding house about one-half mile east of South Cairo, on the old Susquehanna Turnpike, near the Katskill Creek. The house was built in 1866 by Peter Earl, and was bought by the present owner in 1870. Accommodations are furnished for about 30 guests. The waters of the creek afford good boating, bathing, and fishing.
THE RIVERSIDE FARM is located at Donahue’s Landing, on the Hudson River, five miles below Catskill. The boarding house was erected by Chauncey P. Schultis, in 1855, and its successive owners have been John Gould, Captain William Donahue, and the present proprietor, Phineas R. Finger. About 20 boarders are accommodated. The post-office address of the proprietor is Smith’s Landing, N.Y.
JACOB FIESTER’S boarding house on Bethel Ridge, six miles west of Catskill, was built in 1873 by the present proprietor. It is situated on a farm of 138 acres, and has the highest location of any boarding house below the mountains. The house accommodates 50 boarders. Post-office address of proprietor, Leeds, N.Y.
JAMES H. WOOLHISER is the proprietor of a boarding house situated near the Sulphur Springs, Catskill. The house was built in 1882 by the present owner. It is situated in an elevated and healthy location and has a capacity for entertaining 30 guests.
THE ELM SHADE HOUSE, one and one-half miles west of Catskill village on the south bank of the Kaaterskill Creek was built by its proprietor, Horace Barker, in 1872, and accommodates 15 guests. The waters of the creek afford good boating and fishing. Post-office address of proprietor, Catskill, N.Y.
THE UNION HOUSE, Catskill Point, was built by Hiram Van Steenburgh in 1878 and was bought in 1880 by the present proprietress, Mrs. M. J. B. Brooks. The hotel furnishes first-class accommodations for 75 guests. Post-office address of proprietress, Catskill Point, N. Y.
THE CONTINENTAL HOTEL is situated at the boat-landing at Catskill Point, and is owned and conducted by W. D. Hahn. The house accommodates 35 boarders. Telegraph and telephone offices in the building, also rail-road ticket office. Post-office address of proprietor, Catskill, N.Y.
ROBERT N. FULLAGAR is the proprietor of a boarding house near Leeds. The house is in a cool and healthy locality, and is surrounded by beautiful scenery. It has a capacity for about 40 boarders. The post-office address of the owner is Leeds, N.Y.
FAIR VIEW FARM HOUSE was erected by James Wetzel in 1833, and was subsequently owned by Messrs. Talmadge and Walter Pine. It is situated about six miles from the village of Catskill, on the Fair View farm. The post-office address of the proprietor is Kiskatom, N. Y.
KISKATOM MOUNTAIN VIEW FARM was built in 1871 by the present proprietor, Frederick Saxe, and is situated near High Falls and the Kaaterskill Clove. It furnishes accommodations for 45 guests. Post-office address, Catskill, N.Y.
THE CATSKILL PINE GROVE HOUSE was built in 1876 by its present proprietor, John Bergner, and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1880. It is located about one mile west of Main street, Catskill, at the junction of the Mountain Turnpike and the Saugerties road, and furnishes accommodations for 40 guests.
THE PINES HOUSE, built by Giles Griffin in 1854, is situated on the eastern border of a magnificent pine grove at Palenville, near one of the falls of the Kaaterskill, and is one of the oldest boarding houses in the locality. About 12 boarders are furnished with first-class accommodations for the summer season.
THE HAWVER HOUSE was opened in 1861, by the present proprietor, Peter Hawver. It is situated in a pleasant part of the village of Palenville, and surrounded with beautiful grounds and pleasant walks. The Hawver House accommodates 75 guests.
CHARLES H. TEALE opened his house at Palenville for the accommodation of summer boarders in 1850. Entertainment is furnished for about 20 guests. The post-office and telegraph office are in the house.
THE LEXINGTON HOUSE was built in 1883, by Van Valkenburgh & Clough, and is owned by John P. Van Valkenburgh. It is beautifully located near Crystal Lake, in the heart of the Catskill Mountains, and is surrounded with grand and varied scenery.
THE LEXINGTON HEIGHTS HOUSE is situated on an elevated plateau, 300 feet above and one-half mile from the village of Lexington. The house was first built in 1790 by William Faulkner. J. S. Thompson, the present proprietor, bought the house of Thomas Faulkner in 1865, and enlarged and rebuilt it in 1878. It has a capacity for 25 guests.
MARTIN’S HOTEL was built in 1863 by Horatio A. Martin, who, in 1883 sold it to W. B. Martin. It is situated on the north bank of the Schoharie Kill and has a capacity for about 60 guests.
THE WHITCOMB HOUSE was built by Robert Faulkner, and afterward owned by Hiram Faulkner, of whom it was bought by Horace Whitcomb, the present proprietor. It furnishes accommodations for about 30 boarders.
THE HILLSIDE FARM HOUSE is situated two and one-half miles west and about 500 feet above the village of Lexington, on Beach Ridge. It is owned by Schuyler C. Chamberlain, and is surrounded by a farm of 100 acres. Mr. Chamberlain commenced taking summer boarders in 1875. The house has a capacity for about 50 guests.
SHADY LAWN HOUSE is in the West Kill valley near the village of West Kill. It was built in 1875 by Christopher Riley, the present proprietor. It has a capacity for 40 guests.
THE MOUNTAIN RIDGE HOUSE was built in 1881 by John Bonesteel, who is present proprietor. It is situated on Mountain Ridge one mile west of the village of West Kill, and eight miles from Shandaken. There is a farm of 196 acres of land connected with the house. Accommodations are furnished for 20 guests.
THE MAPLE GROVE HOUSE was built in 1877 and enlarged in 1882. It accommodates 30 guests, and is conducted by George A. Van Valkenburgh.
THE BOARDING HOUSE of Wesley G. Van Valkenburgh is situated at the upper end of the Spruceton Valley. The surrounding scenery is exceedingly picturesque. Accommodations are furnished for 30 guests.
LIVINGSTON HOUSE, ATHENS.
Since the history of Athens was written, the old Livingston house was burned on the night of the 28th of December 1883. This house (referred to on page 158) which stood on the bank of the river about a mile north of Murderer’s Creek, on the site of the old Provoost house, was built by John R. Livingston about 1800.
GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL RECORD.
ABEEL FAMILY. – David Abeel, of Catskill, was a native of Holland, and came to America about the middle of the eighteenth century. He located about four and one-half miles west of the village of Catskill, where he owned 640 acres of land. He had two sons, Garret and Anthony, the latter of whom was captured by the Indians and taken to Canada, during the war of 1812. Garret married a lady of Ulster county, by whom he had five sons and four daughters. David Abeel 2d was the oldest son of Garret. He was born in 1783, and married Nellie Goetichius, of Catskill. They had nine children, five of whom, Charles C., Eliza C., Mrs. E. Person, Mrs. Christina Seeley, and Mrs. Fannie Winnie, are now living. Charles C. was born in 1817, and married Jennie Tolland, of Columbia county. They have six children. Mr. Abeel has followed mercantile pursuits during most of his business life, and is at present engaged in the manufacture of brick at West Catskill. His business furnishes employment for about 40 men, and 3,000,000 bricks are turned out in a year.
CHARLES ABRAMS, a native of Greenville town, was born April 9th 1828. His father, Daniel Abrams, also a native of Greenville, was born near Freehold village, July 4th 1799. He was a son of Benjamin. At about nine years of age, he was bound out to Timothy Lake, and lived with him until of age. He married Alathea, daughter of Eli Drake, a native of Rutland county, Vermont, and they had three children, John, Charles, and Mary. Mr. Abrams married Miss Mary A., daughter of Henry and Sarah (Farley) Raselle, all natives of England, who immigrated to America in 1832. Mrs. Abrams was born in Susses county, England, January 20th 1831. Their marriage took place March 5th 1863, and they have four children: Sarah, George, Egbert, and Mary.
DARIAS ALLEN, son of William Allen, was born in Broome, Schoharie county, June 19th 1804, and came with his father about that time to Greene county. William married Mercy Stevens, a native of Connecticut. He was a native of Massachusetts. He located on a farm of 100 acres at the Hemlocks (Greenville Centre). He had 11 children, the oldest of which was Darias, who married Ann J. Boyd, of Greenville. They have two children, John H. and Sara A., now Mrs. David Powell. John H. lives in Sullivan county. Mr. Allen is one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of this town.
LABAN ANDREWS was born in Wallingford, Connecticut, in 1728. He immigrated to Jewett about 1785; was a public spirited man, a warm and faithful friend, and died January 24th 1813, aged 85 years.
LEVI ANDRUS a lifelong resident and merchant of Windham, was born in 1824. His father, Levi Andrus, was a native of Simsbury, Conn., and came to Greene county about the year 1797.
CHRISTOPHER ANGLE, of whom mention is made in the general history, was born in 1797, and was a life-time resident of the town of Lexington. His father, Daniel Angle, was a native of Germany and came to this country as a Hessian soldier under Burgoyne. He was captured by the Americans, and at once enlisted in their service, and was so active that Congress pensioned him. He came to Greene county in 1806, and took up land on what is now Beach Ridge. With him came his wife and children. He died in 1840 aged 107 years. Christopher married Amy Frint, daughter of John Frint, also an early settler of Lexington, and a native of Columbia county. By this union five children were born, but one of whom survives. He was long a prominent man, a gentleman of good logical mind, a strong democrat, and often filled with credit the various town offices. He died in 1882, and lies buried in the Angle grave-yard on the homestead. His widow yet survives him.
S. HENRY ATWATER, hardware merchant at Windham, was born in Jewett in 1854, and came to Windham in 1869. He married Lina Myers of Auburn by whom he has two children.
OSMAR R. AVERY, of Lexington, was born in the town of Windham in 1845; he married first, Miss Cynthia G. Bailey, of Jewett, second, Emma O’Neil, of Shandaken, Ulster county, NY. In 1870 he located in the town of Jewett as a carpenter and joiner, and in 1878, moved to Lexington, where he now resides. His business is carriage making.
THE BABCOCK FAMILY. – Isaiah Babcock was a native of Sherman, Connecticut, from whence he moved to Windham, Greene county. He had six children, one of whom, Levi, was born at Sherman, Connecticut, in 1771, and married Sabra Hungerford, by whom he had five children. His son, Almas M., was born in 1803, and married Emily C. Noble, by whom he had three children, Marcus S., of Catskill, Henry, and Francis E. His wife died in 1840, and he afterward married Ann Eliza Hanford, by whom he had two daughters, Mary E., and Louisa C. He died in 1872.
JAMES H. BADEAU, of Catskill, a native of Greenville, was born in 1834, and married Catharine, daughter of Henry Van Orden, of Catskill. His father was James A. Badeau, a native of Putnam county, who came to Catskill in 1844, and died in 1871.
ISRAEL H. BALDWIN, one of the oldest business men of Catskill, was born at New Milford, Conn., in 1813. He came to Catskill in 1834, where he has ever since been engaged in the business of marble dealing. He married Mercy Coggswell, of Litchfield county, Connecticut, who died in 1870, and by whom he had six children, three of whom are now living.
FREDERICK BARRINGER, farmer, was born in the town of Catskill in 1817, and married Eva, daughter of Hezekiah Person, of Catskill.
ISAAC BEACH, secretary and treasurer of the New Baltimore Mutual Insurance Company, has been a life long resident of New Baltimore. He was born December 16th 1824, and married Mary Ann Bedell, also of New Baltimore. He has served his town in the capacities of superintendent of schools, and town clerk; is a member of the Reformed church; and is engaged in farming.
FREDERIC BECKER, born October 6th 1829, married Mary C., daughter of Abram and Deborah (Persen) Brandow, June 17th 1850. His grandfather, Garrett Becker, and great-uncle, Harmon Becker, came from Holland, and settled on a tract of about 280 acres, near Freehold, the birthplace of three generations of the Becker family. Harmon Becker, the father of Frederic, had seven children: Rebecca A., Sarah, Garrett, Frederic, James, Harriet, and Henrietta. Frederic and Mary C. Becker have had five children: Josephine, William H., Ezra C. (deceased), Ward C., and Egbert L. Harmon Becker sen. died March 17th 1825, aged 92 years. Harmon jr., Frederic’s father, died March 16th 1848, and Rebecca, his wife, died May 1st 1834. Garrett Becker died December 4th 1846. Frederic Becker is a spirited and influential citizen of Greenville.
BEDELL FAMILY. – Jacob A. Bedell, now living on the summit of Bedell Hill, New Baltimore, is the son of Adam Bedell, who moved from Long Island into New Baltimore, with his father, in 1786. Jacob A., who now resides on part of the old purchase, was born July 15th 1796. His wife, Keziah Smith, was born in New Baltimore, October 10th 1801. They were married March 31st 1819. Both are now living. The result of their union was 8 children – 5 boys and 3 girls.
GILBERT BEDELL, oldest child of Jacob A., was born March 25th 1820. He married Rebecca, daughter of Thomas, and granddaughter of Peter H. Houghtaling, and is now living on part of the old Houghtaling purchase.
ALFRED J. BENNETT, painter, was born at Cairo, June 6th 1846, and was married to Mary F. Wickes, a native of England.
JOHN BERGNER was born in Saxony, in 1824. He came to Catskill in 1866, and ten years later, married Mrs. Emma Kraft, of Catskill.
CHARLES BISHOP, of Cairo, farmer and thresher, was born May 30th 1847, and married Hattie Miner, of Chesterville.
GEORGE BISHOP of Cairo, was born at Coxsackie, August 2nd 1842, and married Catherine Horton of Dutchess county. He is engaged in the business of farming, threshing, and hay pressing.
HENRY BLOODGOOD, stone cutter and mason, of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born at Palenville, April 2nd 1837, and married Cornelia Gardner of Catskill.
CHARLES C. BLOOM, a farmer of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born there February 1st 1862, and married May Sax. He is a son of James Bloom, who was born in Chenango county, March 4th 1822, and died in April 1870.
HENRY BLOOM of Kiskatom, Catskill, deceased, was born in Bavaria, September 29th 1820, and married Anna Mariah Cramer.
WILLIAM C. BODGE was born in New Hampshire, in 1839, and married Mary A. Stephenson of Cold Spring, New York, in 1868. They have three children. Mr. Bodge is superintendent of the ice house and farm of Benjamin Andrews, at Coxsackie.
JOHN BONESTEEL, of Lexington, son of Abram and Catharine Bonesteel, was born at Woodstock, Ulster county, in 1831. He is a farmer and boarding house keeper. His first wife was Miss Mary Van Valkenburgh, by whom he has a son. His second marriage was with Miss Lydia Van Valkenburgh. In the civil war he was the first volunteer from Lexington. He enlisted in the 120th New York volunteers, and served till the close of the war. He was at the battle of Fredericksburg, and many others.
EDMUND BRAND of Durham, is one of the few surviving members of the Brand family, that located in Brand Hollow during the early settlement of Durham. Samuel Brand, his grandfather, came from Rum Point, Long Island, and located in Windham town with his father and five brothers. None of that generation are [sic] now living. Of these brothers, one Samuel, was the father of Edmund. He married Miss Polly Morrell of Long Island, by whom he had six children, Edmund being the third. Edmund married Miss Jane, daughter of Samuel Mott, and they have six children. Mr. Brand has a farm of about 140 acres.
THOMAS BRAND of Durham (deceased), a native of Connecticut, was born at Stonington, in the year 1789. He came to Albany county with his parents, who located near Rensselaerville, about the year 1798. He married Miss Polly Frayer; she died, leaving four children, Hattie, Catharine, Sophia, and Delia. Mr. Brand again married Miss Caroline, sister of his former wife, by whom he had one son, ZELOTUS, who, with his mother, is living on the old homestead near Durham village.
RIENZA H. BRANDOW, of Jewett Centre, was born in Prattsville in 1847. He was formerly a farmer, but he is now a carpenter and joiner. His wife was Amy M. Johnston, of Jewett. He has held the office of assessor four years, and that of commissioner of highways three years. He is a member of Mountain Lodge, No. 529, F. & A. M.
CHARLES W. BRIGGS, son of Charles and Amanda Briggs, was born in Schoharie county in 1843, and came to Windham in 1867. He married Amanda H. Lent of New York city.
ISAIAH W. BRIGGS, a retired boatman of Coxsackie, was born in Albany county, May 4th 1813, and married Eliza A. Eaton, of Coxsackie. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Coxsackie.
HORACE B. BRIGGS, of West Kill (Lexington), one of the few practical business men, is well known throughout this section of the county. A native of Lexington, born in 1816, he represents what Lexington’s native talent is worth. He has been many times elected supervisor, town clerk, and to minor offices. He married Harriet E. Hare.
ALANSON F. BRYANT, of Norton Hill village (Greenville), is a native of Westerlo, Albany county, N.Y. He has been a resident of Norton Hill since 1872, having at that time purchased his present farm of 73 acres of Luman Ramsdell, being the old William Norton farm. Mr. Bryant’s grandfather, Fowler Bryant, was one of the first settlers of Durham, and located the present J. Bush farm, near East Durham, in the year 1777. Mr. Bryant has served as justice of the peace since 1878.
MUNSON BUELL, of Jewett, better known as Judge Buell, was a man of push and enterprise, and one of the best penmen of his age. Judge Buell has a large number of descendants in this locality. He died April 26th 1854 in his 84th year.
ABEL BUTLER was born in Greenville in 1808, and soon after moved with his father into the town of Coxsackie, where he has ever since resided. He married Lydia Webb, of Coxsackie, but has no children. His occupation has been that of a farmer.
RENSSELAER BUTLER, a farmer and the owner of 158 acres, was born in Lexington, his present place of residence, in 1840. His wife was Miss Catherine Lasher, of Lexington. In 1864 he enlisted in the 20th N.Y. volunteers, and served till the close of the war. He has been commissioner of excise, commissioner of highways, etc.
PETER R. CAREY was born in New Baltimore, December 8th 1822. He married Elizabeth J. Vanderpool, of New Baltimore. He is engaged in farming. He is a member of the Reformed church and is supervisor (1883) of the town of New Baltimore.
ALONZO W. CHASE was born in Lexington, his present place of residence, in 1829. His wife was Elizabeth Kelley. He is a farmer.
ALBERT CHASE, a farmer of Hensonville, was born in Jewett and was married to Laura O. Woodruff, also of Jewett. He served four years as magistrate.
DAVID CHASE, of Jewett, son of Zephaniah, was born at Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard, March 1st 1786, and was the fifth of twelve children. He was scarcely two years of age when his parents moved to this “far west.” In 1808 he married Abigail, a sister of Hon. Zadock Pratt, of Prattsville. He died August 27th 1871. Mr. Chase was the father of two sons and five daughters.
WEST CHASE, well known throughout the county, was born in the town of Woodstock, now Jewett, May 1797. He was the youngest son of Zephaniah. He married Julia M. Newton, and was blessed with a family of one son and five daughters. Mr. Chase kept an inn and the post-office at Jewett Centre for over 40 years. He died May 22nd 1880, aged 83 years.
ZEPHANIAH CHASE was born at Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard, March 25th 1748, and died May 30th 1828, aged four score years. Mr. Chase moved to what is now known as Jewett Centre in 1787.
ADDISON J. CHURCHILL, of Lexington, widely and personally known throughout the county as the ex-proprietor of the Houghtaling stage line from Prattsville to Catskill, and who also has been the county sheriff, was born in the town of Stamford, Delaware county, New York, May 7th 1836, and was a son of James and Elizabeth Churchill. He married Mary E. Houghtaling, of Prattsville. He is a present extensively engaged in farming and dairying, and is emphatically one of Greene county’s representative citizens.
GEORGE CLARK, of Greenville, is largely engaged in fruit raising; he raises the most Bartlett pears grown by any one producer in the western half of the county.
JOSIAH CLAWSON, of Lexington, came from Ghent, Columbia county, about the year 1800, located near where the village of Lexington now stands, and took up a farm there. His family, as was common in those days, was somewhat numerous. There were nine children that lived to grow up, only one, Jacob, is now living. Henry, now deceased, settled in the West Kill valley in 1822. He married Dorcas Cornish, and they had a family of five children, three yet survive. One, Richard, lives on the old homestead where the site of the old log cabin is still shown.
EDWARD D. COLE, a farmer, and a resident of Lexington, is the son of John and Electa Cole. He was born in 1843. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, 120th regiment, New York volunteers. He was in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, at which last he received a wound, in consequence of which he was discharged at Philadelphia in 1865. His wife was Miss Eva Ford of Lexington.
WILLIAM A. CONKLIN, a farmer of Greenville town, is the youngest of a family of six children of George W. and Deborah (Baker) Conklin. He married Miss Sarah E., daughter of John and Minerva (Butler) Miller, June 17th 1875. Mr. Miller was a native of Germany, a farmer by occupation, immigrated to America in 1837, and was for many years a resident of Greenville town. Mr. and Mrs. Conklin now own and occupy the Miller homestead, and have one daughter, Marilla, born February 23rd 1878.
LAWRENCE CONLEY JR., of Catskill, a native of Ireland, came to America in 1851, and has since that time resided at Smith’s Landing. He married Mary Richardson, by whom he had eight children, two of whom are deceased. His present business is superintendent of the National Ice Company.
CHARLES D. COLLIER, son of Morris and Mary Ann Collier, was born at Whitney’s Point, Broome county, New York. His first business was that of a farmer, for about 18 years; then at blacksmithing till 1882; now has farming connected with it. October 5th 1869, he married Ann Eliza, daughter of Samuel and Ann Eliza Daniels, of Cairo. He has recently purchased the Hill cottage and farm.
JOHN M. COONLEY, son of George and Hannah Coonley, was born in New Baltimore in 1812, and married Harriet Wolfe, of New Baltimore, by whom he has 10 children. George Coonley, his father, was a son of John Coonley, who came from Germany, and settled in New Baltimore at a very early period.
DANIEL CORNWELL came from Connecticut; built first house in Cornwallsville; at an early day was called Captain Daniel.
RICHARD CORNWELL, son of Henry and Sarah Cornwell, was born in Coxsackie, November 27th 1816. He is a farmer, beginning for himself at the age of 23 years. In 1839 he married Catharine, daughter of Jacob and Catharine Flansburg, of Coxsackie. They have three sons and two daughters.
MOSES COVELL, farmer and life-long resident of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born in 1846, and married Anna Bloom, also of Kiskatom.
SPENCER C. COVENTRY, a farmer of Coxsackie, was born at Hillsdale, Columbia county, in 1822. He married Ruth Yeomans, by whom he has five children.
ERNEST COWER became a resident of Lexington at the close of the rebellion. During the late war he was a soldier in the army of the Potomac, and participated in a number of engagements. Mr. Cower now resides near the village of West Kill, and is engaged in farming.
MELBOURN W. CRAPSER was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, April 29th 1858, and married Minerva Lewis. They have had two children: Percy L., born August 18th 1878, died December 11th 1881; and Charles M., born July 12th 1880.
WATSON CRAWFORD, wholesale dealer in blue stone, at Smith’s Landing, Catskill, was born at West Camp, New York, August 10th 1840, and married Rachel S. Weeks, of Saugerties.
CAPTAIN JAMES A. CROSS, a farmer in Lexington, and the owner of about 600 acres of land, was born in that town, in 1813. His wife was Rachel Fowler, of Columbia county. He was a captain of artillery during seven years, under the old military system.
THE DAY FAMILY. – Stephen, son of John Day, was born in Colchester, Connecticut, in 1746. In 1791, he removed, with his family, from Wallingford, Connecticut, to Catskill, and engaged in milling, at Leeds. He was one of the original builders of the Susquehanna Turnpike. He remained a resident of Greene county until 1820. His sons were Orrin, Philo, and Russell. Orrin, son of Stephen Day, was born in 1776, and married Mary Burr Hull, of Connecticut, by whom he had ten children, three of whom – S. Sherwood, George B., and Emily C. – are still living. Orrin Day was engaged in the mercantile and freighting business, and subsequently became a private banker. In 1831, he was chosen president of the Tanners’ Bank, of Catskill, which position he held until his death, in 1846. He wife died in 1862. S. SHERWOOD DAY, of Catskill, son of Orrin and Mary Day, was born in 1807. He has been twice married. His first wife was Catharine Deforest, of Huntington, Connecticut, by whom he had two sons, one of whom, Walter Deforest Day, is superintendent of the Board of Health of New York city, also professor in the College of Pharmacy. Mr. Day’s second and present wife was Cornelia E. Spencer, of Utica, by whom he has had five children, one of whom is deceased. Mr. Day has held the office of president of the Tanners’ Bank since 1846, when he succeeded his father in that position.
CHARLES DEDERICK, a life long resident of Catskill, was born April 11th, 1827, and has been twice married; first to Helen Myers, and second to Adelaide Coons. Mr. Dederick is a farmer and has served two terms as inspector of elections.
JACOB DEER, an engineer of Catskill, was born in Germany in 1843, and married Hannah, daughter of Jeremiah Young, of Catskill. They have had nine children, eight of whom are living. He served his country for more than three years during the war of the rebellion, first in Company A 20th regiment, N.Y.V., and afterward in the cavalry and navy.
C. DEYOE came into the town of Lexington with the early Dutch settlers that came here from Rensselaer county about 1780. He settled near where the present village of Lexington is now located, and he raised a family of nine children that lived to grow up. Most of them settled in the town. Christopher, the eldest, settled on what is known as Beach Ridge, and raised a family of nine children. His wife’s maiden name was Catharine Martin. All are living but one, and all residents of the town but one, Mr. Richard Deyoe, who lives in Illinois.
JAMES DEYOE came to Lexington previous to 1780 with the early Dutch settlers, and settled three miles west of the village of Lexington. He raised a family of nine children, four sons and five daughters, only one of whom, the wife of Jacob A. Clawson, survives. John Deyoe, the son, settled near the old home and married Mary Schermerhorn, a daughter of one of the first settlers. They had a family of seven children. All but two are residents of the county at this time, and four of them are non residents of the town. They are Daniel, James, Sarah, the wife of Thomas Powell, and Hannah, the wife of Walter George, Jacob, who lives in the State of Michigan, and Lucinda, at Grand Gorge, Delaware county.
NICHOLAS DEYOE, a farmer of Catskill, was born at Gilboa, April 2nd 1831, and married Catharine Christlebec, of Redhook, Dutchess county.
URIAL DEYOE, son of Christopher and Kate Deyoe was born on Beach Ridge, 1826. He married Cinderilla Johnson, daughter of Joseph Johnson, of Lexington. He has always been a resident of the town; filled the office of overseer of the poor for many years, and owns upwards of 900 acres of good farming lands.
WILLIAM DODD, of Catskill, deceased, was born in England, January 16th 1816, and died in 1873. His widow, Anna M. Dodd, was born in Catskill, January 2nd 1818.
J. RODNEY DOUGLASS, of Lexington, was born in Hunter in 1835. He married Miss Roxaline Hogaboom, of Lexington, by whom he had one daughter. He was identified with the manufacturing of chairs and mercantile business in Hunter. He was drowned in the Hudson, at the burning of the steamer Berkshire, on her downward trip from Catskill to New York. His body was recovered and buried at Hunter. His widow and daughter now reside in Lexington.
PETER M. DUMOND has been engaged in the manufacture of carriages, wagons, and sleighs, at Catskill, since the year 1857. He is a native of Ulster county, was born in 1832, and came to Greene county in childhood.
CLEMENT EARLE (formerly spelled Erle) was one of three brothers who came to this county about 1735, landing at New York. Clement eventually settled at Bangall, Dutchess county, the other two in Boston and Philadelphia respectively. Clement had several children. Two of his sons served in the Revolutionary war. Another son, Samuel, came to this county when about 30 years of age. His wife was a Miss Catharine Hallenbeck, and their children were: Wilbur S., Michael, Rufus, Solomon, John, Peter, Orrin, and James, now of Coxsackie, is the only one, 1883, living. His wife died. John married a Miss Harriet Habbice in Freehold, and had six children, two of whom, Gaylord and Wilbur N., served in the late war, where they lost their lives. Of those living, Joseph Earle, a farmer and extensive land-owner of Greenville, lives at Freehold. He married Miss Mary, daughter of James Mahan. Catharine lives at Gayhead. Elizabeth is a widow of William Wicks, and Louisa is Mrs. James Leroy Jacobs of Cairo.
B. F. EATON, dealer in agricultural implements, was born at Mount Pleasant, June 18th 1826, and married Elizabeth S. Knowles, of Greenville, New York.
HENRY EDGETT, a native of Connecticut, was born October 23rd 1761, and died February 8th 1835. He married Hannah Palmer, and they had a family of seven children. Their son, Reynolds Edgett, continued, after his father’s death, to occupy the old homestead of 103 acres near Freehold, Greenville. Reynolds married Hannah Baldwin, and they had seven children, but only one son, Henry, who now occupies the old homestead and is extensively engaged in the manufacture and sale of apiary supplies, and has a large apiary.
EDWIN L. FORD, M. D., son of David and Abigail Ford, was born in Lexington, and is a descendant of the early Fords from Columbia county. He enlisted (1862) in Co. F. 120th regiment N. Y. volunteers, in which he served three years. He was in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Petersburg, Hatchers Run, etc., wounded at Gettysburg, and taken prisoner and confined in the following prisons: Libby, Belle Isle, Savannah, and for nearly one year at Andersonville. When captured his weight was 174 pounds, when discharged it was but 84 pounds. He was discharged at Emory Hospital, Washington, D. C. 1865. He married Adalaide Cox, daughter of Leonard and Leonora Cox, natives of Massachusetts. The father was well known in the history of New England journalism.
EDWARD A. FRASER, a farmer of Catskill, is a son of Cornelius and Adeline Fraser, and was born in Gilboa, Schoharie county, in 1833. He married Antoinette Mackey, of Sauk county, Wisconsin. Mr. Fraser resided in Wisconsin five years, and returned in 1865, to Greene county where he has since resided.
HENRY FREDENBURG OF CATSKILL, son of Paul and Maria Fredenburg, was born in the city of New York, in 1839. His family subsequently moved to Cairo. He was married to Adeline Brandow of Catskill in 1861.
ASA GARDINER, (deceased) was a son of Luke Gardiner, one of the early settlers of Greenville. The records of the family cannot be found, and all that can authentically be stated regarding the family is that Luke had two sons besides Asa, John, and Louis, and one daughter, Annie, now Mrs. Leonard Youmans of Dutchess county. Asa married Amanda June, daughter of Samuel June of East Durham, March 1st 1849. Asa Gardiner died in July 1876, leaving a widow and two sons, George L., and John H., now living on the homestead of 112 acres near Freehold village.
J. W. GARDNER, of Norton Hill, Greenville, of the firm of Gardner & Smith, merchants, was a native of Durham town, and son of Wilkinson Gardner (deceased). He entered merchandising in the spring of 1870, at the present stand, which was for many years occupied by Nehemiah Ramsdell. In the spring of 1883, Fletcher Smith became interested in the business. Mr. Gardner is acting deputy postmaster, and is a partner with Lorenzo Hunt, in the Norton Hill Fruit Evaporator. Mr. Gardner’s father was a native of Long Island, and located in the vicinity of Norton Hill about the year 1800.
RENNIE GARRISON, farmer, of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born in Ulster county, November 10th 1856, and married Lucinda Funk of High Falls, Catskill.
LE ROY E. GEORGE of Lexington, the son of Walter and Hannah M. George, was born in 1859. His wife was Miss M. E. Mansfield of Shandaken, Ulster county. He is a farmer, and has 196 acres of land. His father, who was a native of Middletown, Delaware county, New York, came to Lexington in 1857, and located on the farm where his widow and his son, L. E., now reside. He died in 1882.
CHARLES GRIFFIN, a merchant and life long resident of Palenville, was born in 1847, and married Kate Dederick. His store is situated one-fourth of a mile from Palenville station.
GEORGE P. GRIFFIN is a merchant of Hensonville. He was born at Hunter in 1848 and married Frank Merwin of Hensonville. He was elected supervisor of the town of Windham in 1883, and is also a member of board of excise.
EDWARD GRIFFIN, a son of Miller and Christina Griffin, was born in Lexington, where he now resides, in 1856. His wife was Miss Elmina Kilpatrick, daughter of Robert and Thirza Kilpatrick of Roxbury, Delaware county, New York. He is a farmer.
WILLIAM N. GRAHAM, dealer in boots and shoes, wagons, horse-rakes, sewing-machines, &c., at Hensonville, was born in Schoharie county in 1838, and married Frances Vermilyea of Lexington.
JOHN F. HACK, a native of Bavaria, came to America in 1854, being at that time 20 years of age. He located in the town of Catskill, and was married in 1856, to Margaret M. Funk. His business is farming.
GEORGE W. HALCOTT, a time-honored citizen of Catskill, was born in Middletown, Delaware county, June 4th 1817. In 1837-8, he was engineer of the Frank, the first steamboat to ply between Catskill and New York. He was elected sheriff of Greene county in 1849. For fifteen years previous to his death, he held the position of United States Department Internal Revenue Collector. His son, M. K. Halcott, is a bookseller and stationer, in the village of Catskill.
EDGAR HALSTEAD, son of Henry and Mary Halstead, was born in New Baltimore, in 1828. He is now living on the old purchase of his grandfather, James Halstead, one of the first settlers in this part of the town. He has held various positions of trust; among others have been, town superintendent of schools, justice of the peace for 24 years, and supervisor of the town.
JOHN HALSTED, son of David and Sarah Halsted, was born March 22nd 1804, in the western part of the town of New Baltimore, where his father had settled soon after the close of the Revolutionary war. In 1818 he moved with his father into the town of Coxsackie, settling on the same farm where he now resides. August 17th 1823, he married Sarah, daughter of Israel and Betsey Titus of Coxsackie. The result of this union was six children, five sons and one daughter. Three sons and one daughter are now living. Mr. Halsted has been a life-long and successful farmer, noted for his uprightness and integrity. He was educated in the Quaker faith, to which he still adheres, but has always been a liberal contributor to other societies.
SMITH T. HALSTED, son of Smith and Sarah Halsted, was born in Coxsackie, July 26 1840, and is a farmer. He has been twice married. His first wife was Harriet, daughter of Paul and Betsey Saxe of Catskill. She died at the age of about 30 years. His present wife is Mary J., daughter of Aaron Butler, of Coxsackie. The result of this last marriage is two sons and two daughters.
HENRY I. HANER, of Lexington, is a farmer and the owner of 340 acres of land. He was born at Prattsville in 1833, and came to Lexington in 1851. His wife was Thankful Brumberg, of Lexington. They have two children.
JAMES W. HANER, son of Henry and Louise Haner, of Lexington, was born in 1856. His wife was Ida M., daughter of Jackson and Jane Thompson. He is a farmer and the owner of 100 acres of land.
HENRY HARDEN, a farmer of Stanton Hill, New Baltimore, was born at Duanesburgh, January 13th 1822. He has been married three times; first to Elizabeth Delamater; second to Hannah Carman; and third to Matilda Williams. Mr. Harden is a member of the Christian church at Medway. He has held the offices of supervisor and assessor.
RICHARD HARDWICK, of the town of Catskill, came from England about the close of the war of 1812, and settled at what was then called Madison, now Leeds. The place received its present name in honor of the place of Mr. Hardwick’s birth – Leeds, Yorkshire county, England. Mr. Hardwick established the first woolen mill at Leeds for the manufacture of satinet, flannel, etc. He married Betsey Grimshaw, of Leeds, England, by whom he had eight children, five of whom are now living. He died at Marlborough, Ulster county, in 1866.
RIVILO L. HARE, of Lexington, most favorably known as a gentleman of courteous bearing and of a refined character, is and always has been a resident of West Kill village, where he was born in 1825. He married Augusta E. Van Horn, daughter of David Van Horn, one of the village’s prominent tanners in its early days, as was likewise Mr. Hare’s father. Mr. Hare has retired from active life, though owning yet a large farm. He is an active member of Prattsville Lodge, No. 119, F. & A. M.
JOHN HART, of Greenville (deceased), was one of the old-time shoemakers of Greenville vicinity, a good workman, an industrious and upright man. He was born in Dutchess county, New York, June 5th 1793, came to Rensselaerville, Albany county, when a young man, where he pursued his calling, from house to house, doing family shoemaking. This method of shoemaking was known in early days as “whipping the cat.” He came to Norton Hill and opened a shop in the year 1819, and did a lucrative business. About the years 1820 and 1821 he kept a tavern on the corner opposite Norton Hill church, to the south. This is said to have been one of the first, if not the first tavern kept at the village. He married Miss Salome, daughter of Ezra Miller, in Freehold village. Mr. Hart lived to ripe old age, was a consistent member of the Christian church. He died April 20th 1868. James S., a prosperous merchant since 1845; Franklin A., a shoemaker for over 40 years; William B., a farmer; all of Norton Hill; John G. and Edgar, merchants of Greenville; and George A., a salesman of Albany, are his sons. All are men of temperate habits and are highly esteemed citizens. Mary A., a maiden lady, and Mrs. Hart, who is now 82 years of age, live at the old home at Norton Hill village.
ADDISON S. HAYES was born in the town of Windham in 1841. He has been twice married. His first wife was Adelia M. Garret of Durham, who died in 1875. In 1876 he was married to Eliza J. Allen of Schoharie county. Mr. Hayes has held the office of constable and is a member of the board of excise. He served nearly three years in the war of the Rebellion and received a wound in the battle of Gettysburg which deprived him of his right arm.
PETER HAWVER, proprietor of the Hawver House, Palenville, was born in Columbia county in 1810, and moved to Catskill in 1861, where he has since resided.
JAMES HENRYS, of Catskill, dealer in paints, oils, etc., came to Greene county in 1870, being at that time 27 years old. In 1882 he married Ella Bell of Catskill. Mr. Henrys was born in Tolland county, Connecticut.
WILLIAM H. HITCHCOCK, a manufacturer of Hensonville, was born in 1839. He was married to Evillo Bunyan of the town of Windham.
PLATT O. HITCHCOCK, son of Lucius Hitchcock, was born in the town of Windham in 1832 and was married to Emerett Atwater. They have five children. Mr. Hitchcock hold the office of magistrate.
JACOB HOGABOOM, of Lexington, long a resident of this town and many years captain of the artillery company, superseding the late Hon. Zadock Pratt, was born in 1813, and married Miss Diadanna Briggs, a daughter of Darius Briggs. Always a staunch Jacksonian democrat, he has held the various town offices with credit, representing the town in the board of supervisors four years. He has two children. Both he and his estimable lady are members of the Regular Baptist church.
ORSMAR HOLLISTER, one of the oldest residents of the town of Coxsackie, was born there in 1803, and married Rachel Bush, also of Coxsackie. He has served as lieutenant of State militia, also as town assessor.
HORTON FAMILY. – Among the early settlers of the town of Greenville, was David Horton, about 1814. His children were Samuel Y., John, Isaac, David, and Elizabeth. David occupies the old homestead and has three children, Ida (Mrs. Thomas Slade), Marcellus, and Ella R.; Samuel Y. lives in Cairo; Isaac is a traveling salesman; John and Elizabeth are deceased.
WALTER HOOS, of Greenville, is a grandson of Nicholas Hoos, an early settler in Greene county. His family consisted of four sons and three daughters. William, his second son, married Margaret Hallenbeck, daughter of Michael Hallenbeck. They had six children, one of whom was Walter, who married first, in 1836, Catharine Cole, of Durham. They had two children, Holmes V. and D. Albert. Mrs. Hoos died in 1876, and for his second wife Mr. Hoos married Eliza Hughes, by whom he has one son, Ward. Mr. Hoos is a retired farmer, and lives at Freehold village.
GEORGE HOLZMAN, a merchant of Catskill village, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1844, and came to this country when 23 years of age. He married Mary Harry, of Catskill, in 1872.
BERNARD O. HANLON, who located in Lexington in 1865, and engaged in the cooperage business, is a native of Belfast, Ireland. He came to American in 1852, locating first in Schoharie county, subsequently making a voyage to sea, during which he revisited his native town.
G. B. HOLCOMB, of Cairo, proprietor of hotel at South Cairo, was born in Windham, May 22nd 1848.
HENRY HOSFORD, of Jewett, one of the most prominent citizens among the mountains, was born in Wallingford, Connecticut, February 3rd 1784, and came to Woodstock, now Jewett, in 1782. He died, July 2nd 1861, at the advanced age of three score and 17 years.
WILLIAM HOUK, a farmer of the town of Catskill, was born in Westerlo, Albany county, in 1828, and married Deborah M. Wrightmyer, of Cairo. The Houk farm of 205 acres is now owned by his son, Sylvester Houk.
JONATHAN HOWARD, the present blacksmith of Lexington Flats, was born in Broome, Schoharie county, in 1829. He enlisted, 1862, in Company F, 120th regiment New York volunteers, and served to the close of the war. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Second Bull Run, Cold Harbor, etc.
JAMES HUBBARD was a turnpike contractor; he built the road on contract from Catskill to Canajoharie, Schoharie county, and was for some time part owner in the road.
ELI HUMPHREY, of West Kill, Lexington, son of Norman and Polly Humphrey, was born at West Kill in 1858. He was formerly a farmer, but in 1881 he succeeded A. M. Van Valkenburgh in the mercantile business. His wife was Miss Ida M. Hare, of Prattsville, daughter of William and Sarah Hare.
RANSOM INGALLS represents one of the oldest families of Norton Hill, Greenville. The family is extensive, and all descended from Joseph Ingalls, its founder in Greene county. He came from Rhode Island in early pioneer days with two sons, Jacob and James, and located just north of Norton Hill village. Jacob had five sons, of whom Truman was the fourth. Ransom is a son of Truman, and married Adaline, daughter of Hiram Losee. He has three children, Edgar, Truman, and Nellie. He owns a well conducted farm of 125 acres at Norton Hill.
ELIZA M. JEWELL was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, July 17th 1825, and was married to Jeremiah Jewell.
HENRY KAMM of Catskill, a native of Waldrick, Germany, was born in 1838, and married Caroline Johnson, also of Waldrick. They came to Leeds in 1872, where he is engaged in the business of blacksmithing.
LEVI KING, of Coxsackie, son of Joshua King, was born in Dutchess county, November 5th 1820. Since the death of his father, which occurred when he was but seven years old, he has cared for himself. He is a farmer, beginning for himself at the age of 25 years. He married Melissa, daughter of John and Abigail Lampman, January 18th 1846. The result of this union was 11 children, of whom six sons and two daughters are living.
WILLIAM P. KIRK, a farmer of Lexington, was born in that town in 1814. His first wife, by whom he has two children now living, was Maria Clough. She died in 1861. His second wife, who died in 1876, was Margaret Miller. Mr. Kirk has held the office of constable nine years.
FRANK KNOLL, son of Christopher and Ernestine Knoll, was born in Saxony, in 1843, came to America in 1869, and engaged in the manufacture of cigars, which business he still carries on at Catskill.
GUSTAVUS KNOLL, cigar manufacturer, of 252 Main street, Catskill, came from Saxony to America, in the year 1874, when fifteen years old.
ELEAZER KNOWLES, ESQ. Next to father Hotchkin there was no man in the new settlement whose influence was greater and more beneficent than his. Of Puritan stock, his ancestors emigrated from the south of England in 1640, and settled in Southbury, Connecticut, where Eleazer was born in 1737. From thence he removed to Greenville with his four sons, Eli, Liberty, John, and Eazer. Esquire Knowles was a man of great force of character, remarkably venerable in his personal appearance, “associated in my mind,” writes a correspondent who well remembers him, “with prophets and apostles, and the veneration with which I looked on him was deepened by the text of his funeral sermon: ‘Mark the perfect man and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace.’” The late Rev. Charles J. Knowles, of Long Island, one of the most cultivated gentlemen, able scholars, and estimable characters that Greenville has ever given to the world, was a grandson of the old chieftain. And it is not too much to say that his descendants, some of whom are with us to-day, while others are scattered abroad through the land, are not unworthy of their noble ancestor.
CURTIS LACEY is the merchant and postmaster of Freehold. He commenced life as a school-teacher. His industry, frugality, and temperate ways of life, have given him the prominent place in the county that he occupies. Hiram Lacey is a farmer by occupation. He is serving his second term as supervisor of this town (Greenville), which fact is an index to his popularity as a citizen.
ENOCH LACEY, of Greenville, came from Saratoga county to Coxsackie, in 1828. He was a son of Joshua Lacey, who came from England when a young man, and carried on blacksmithing in Saratoga county. His son Enoch learned that trade and followed it for a few years, making some money thereby, but soon abandoned it, and gave his whole attention to farming, first in Coxsackie, and later near Freehold, in Greenville, where he owns 88 acres. His wife was Lydia Butler, and they have had seven children: Cynthia A., Curtis, Abram, Hiram, John, Amos, and Mary.
JUSTIN LA MONT, son of Solomon and Hannah La Mont was born in Lexington in 1811. His wife was Hannah Dunham, daughter of Ephraim and Christina Dunham of Lexington. They had three children, two of whom are living. He was a merchant, was an active politician, a staunch democrat, and member of the Old School Baptist church. He was a musician in military service. He died in 1881.
LUMAN A. LAMOUREE, of Catskill, was born in Genesee county in 1818, and came with his parents to Greene county, when a child. He married Mrs. Amelia Bartholomew, in 1874. They have one child.
GEORGE H. LAMOREAU, blacksmith, was born in Windham in 1833. He married Adeline Adams of Durham, who died in 1879. He was married a second time to Rillie Adams of Durham, by whom he has one child. He has held the office of town clerk.
GEORGE LANE, a farmer of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born at Athens, April 14th 1830, and married Amanda J. Gardner, of High Falls, Ulster county.
JOHN S. LANE, of Lexington, the son of Richard and Elizabeth Lane, was born in Shandaken, Ulster county, in 1816, and came to Lexington in 1835. He was first a foreman in the finishing department of Fixby Tannery for six years, then a carpenter and wagon maker for the same firm during seven years. In 1845 he purchased the farm of 140 acres where he now resides, and became a dairyman. He is now a large capitalist and money broker. Mr. Lane was married, in 1840, to Harriet Robinson. She died in 1879, and in 1880, he married Mary M. Banks, daughter of Joseph and Polly Banks, of Ulster county.
CHARLES LASERTE, blacksmith, of Norton Hill, Greenville, a native of Canada, and of French ancestry, came to Norton Hill in 1871, and opened a shop in company with James Medeaugh, and continued with him four years, when they dissolved partnership. Mr. Laserte bought his present place of Mr. N. Ramsdell, where he has since that time conducted a successful business. He married in 1870, Miss Susan Palmeter, daughter of Joel Palmeter (deceased), for many years a resident of Norton Hill and vicinity.
CHARLES LINZEY was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, June 12th 1859, and was married to Esther H. Lasher of Germantown, Columbia county.
BENJAMIN C. LISK, president of the New Baltimore Insurance Company, was born in New Baltimore, March 15th 1820. He is a member of Ark Lodge, No. 48, f. & A. M., of Coxsackie.
WALTER M. LOCKWOOD, a farmer of Cairo, was born April 23rd 1836, and married Mary E. Cammer of Conesville, Schoharie county. They have one child, William M., born January 5th 1863.
JOHN LONGENDYKE, for many years deacon and elder of the Dutch Reformed church, was born in Ulster county, in 1817, and married Eliza Sax of Catskill. Mr. Longendyke came to Greene county about the year 1843, and located upon the farm in the town of Catskill, where his widow and family now reside.
BETHUEL LUSK. – Of the early settlers of the vicinity of Freehold, the venerable Bethuel Lusk is doubtless the oldest living representative. His father, Selah Lusk, settled in the northeast part of Durham town, on the Barker Patent, about the year 1788. His mother was Rhoda Finney, a native of Vermont. Bethuel is the fifth of a family of nine children, viz: Harry, Phineas, William, Rhoda, _____, Smith, Joel, Hiram, and Ira. Bethuel Lusk was born March 7th 1797, married Miss Sarah, daughter of Joseph Smith, formerly from Westchester county, and has had four children: Ursula, Adaline, Franklin, and Emily. The last died in 1858, at 22 years of age. The old Lusk homestead is located about midway between Freehold and East Durham villages, and still owned in the family.
FLETCHER MACKEY, a farmer, of Lexington, son of Daniel and Huldah Mackey, was born at Roxbury, Delaware county, New York, in 1834. He married Miss Jane E. Kilpatrick of Roxbury, and they have three children living. Mr. Mackey came to Lexington in 1867. He has served three years as commissioner of highways, and ten as overseer of the poor. He and his wife have long been identified with the Old School Baptist church.
JESSE MARTIN, of Catskill, was born at Kaaterskill, August 31st 1830, and married Elizabeth Osborn, of Leeds.
CAPTAIN PETER MARTIN, son of Frederick and Elizabeth Martin, is a life-long resident of Catskill, where he was born, in 1812. He married, in 1837, Eleanor Post, of Catskill. They have had eleven children, three of whom – Helen B., Frederick, and Calista – are now living. His wife died in 1882. Mr. Martin was captain of a uniformed company of artillery for seven years, a position which he resigned in 1842. He was at one time proprietor of the West Catskill Hotel, and is at present engaged in farming.
WILLIAM J. MCCLEAN, a retired farmer of Hensonville, was born in Ireland in 1836. He married Catherine Luckey, who died in 1877. In 1878 he was married to Mrs. Eleanor Hitchcock, of Windham.
MERRITT MCLEAN was born in Lexington in 1836, and married Rebecca Tuttle, of Ashland. He is a vestryman of the Episcopal church at Ashland.
JAMES MCLEAN, a retired farmer, was born in Windham in 1810, and married Jane Thompkins, of Columbia county.
WILLIAM H. MEAD, physician and surgeon of Windham, was born at Jewett in 1833. Dr. Mead is a graduate of the Albany Medical College. He practiced his profession in Ashland for ten years and moved to Windham in 1879.
DAVID S. MERWIN was born in what is now the town of Jewett in 1816. He is a descendant of Thomas Merwin who settled in this county soon after the close of the Revolution. He married Jennie Winchell, of Hensonville. He moved to Hensonville, where he now resides, in 1840. He has held the office of magistrate twelve years. He is also a notary public.
DANIEL MILLER (deceased) was one of the early settlers in that portion of Greenville town known as Newry. He was a tanner and shoemaker by trade, and came from Long Island, with his wife Betsey. He was a man of temperate habits, industrious and frugal, and succeeded in improving a fine farm, and raising a large family. Daniel S. Miller, the fourth born of the family, owns and occupies the old homestead of 140 acres, is a man not unlike his deceased father, of many excellent qualities. He married Miss Amanda Conklin, of Rensselaerville, and has two daughters, Isabella and Emma.
WILLIAM MOON, a native of Sussex, England, was born in 1832, and came with his parents to America in childhood. The family located at Athens, from whence he came to Windham in 1858. He married Laura Clark, of Windham.
ANSON R. MOTT, druggist and pharmacist of Windham, was born in Richmond county, September 11th 1846, and married Lydia W. Slater, of Jewett. He was elected town clerk in 1883.
AUGUSTUS MYGATT, the first of this much respected family in Greenville, located on the present Calvin Mygatt place, near Freehold, in 1834. Augustus was a direct descendant of Joseph and Ann Mygatt, who sailed from England, in 1633, in the ship Griffin, for the American colony that had been founded by Governor Winthrop, in 1630. Joseph Mygatt afterward became one of the first settlers of Hartford, Connecticut. Of the seventh generation of the descendants of Joseph, was one Isaac, and he was the father of Augustus. Augustus was the father of Calvin M., who was born December 12th 1818, and married Ann, daughter of Joseph Vincent, February 22nd 1849. They have two children: Alice, now Mrs. Ira F. Hunt, of Freehold; and Mary, at home.
ROBERT NELSON, a retired contractor of Coxsackie, is a native of Scotland. He was born in 1818, and married Harriet L. McKelvey, of Orange county.
CYRUS OVERBAUGH, was born at Catskill, September 20th 1845, and married Mary E. Garling, who was born in Catskill, February 9th 1844. They have had six children: Cyrus, born August 9th 1868; Anson, born February 11th 1870, died May 18th 1870; Lillie and Lydia, twins, born March 19th 1872; Delia, born March 29th 1874; and Henry, born November 12th 1878.
JEREMIAH OVERBAUGH, farmer and teacher, was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, July 1st 1828, and was married to Emily Rouse, who died in 1868. He was subsequently married to Sarah Lane. He has held the office of justice of the peace for twenty years.
JOHN H. OVERBAUGH, merchant and farmer, was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, in 1822, and has been twice married; first to Mariah Chidester, and second to Sarah M. Austin. He has served as commissioner of excise.
JOHN S. OVERBAUGH, of Catskill, son of William and grandson of Clement Overbaugh, who came from Holland and settled in Greene county at an early date, was
Born in 1822. His first wife was Almira Meeker, a native of Pennsylvania, by whom he had eleven children, five of whom are living. His first wife died in 1872, and in 1874 he was married to Mrs. Lucinda Overbaugh, by whom he has one child.
MATTHEW D. OVERBAUGH, farmer of Kiskatom, was born at Catskill, February 28th 1827, and married Elizabeth Layman, of Kiskatom.
WILLIAM C. OVERBAUGH, farmer of Kiskatom, was born November 28th 1855, and married Catharine M. Overbaugh, of Kiskatom.
WILLIAM L. OVERBAUGH was born at Kiskatom, September 20th 1819, and married A. Brandow. His present business is farming and boarding.
HILAND P. PALMER, Catskill, farmer and lime manufacturer, was born at Cairo, July 23rd 1843, and married Mary J. Powell, of Albany county.
HIRAM PALMER, of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born at Cairo, December 15th 1830, and married Anna M. Saxe, of Kiskatom. [He] owns a farm of 300 acres.
MOSES M. PALMER, popular merchant of Gayhead, and son of W. R. Palmer, one of Greenville’s prominent agriculturalists, first commenced business at Gayhead in 1870, and continued for three years, when he removed to Grapesville, New Baltimore town. He returned to his old stand in 1879. Mr. Palmer carries everything ordinarily found in the stock of a first-class general store, and his methods of doing business are such as to command a large and increasing trade. He is the postmaster of Gayhead. Further mention of the Palmer family may be seen elsewhere in this volume.
ROBERT PALMER came into New Baltimore from Dutchess county as early as 1792. He settled on the premises now in part owned by his grandson, Timothy Palmer. His original purchase contained 500 acres, and a deed now in possession of his grandson, Timothy, dated February 16th 1795, covering 245 ¾ acres, in consideration of 392 pounds, was given by Conrad and Abram Ten Eyck, of Albany county, and Anthony Ten Eyck, of Rensselaer county, to Robert Palmer.
TIMOTHY PALMER, grandson of Robert Palmer, now occupies a part of the original purchase of his grandfather. He is one of the enterprising and representative men of the town, has a large farm under a good state of cultivation, and has succeeded well in his business.
GEORGE PARKER, a son of Caleb Parker, who was a son of Major William Parker, a native of Wallingford, Connecticut, was born in Lexington in 1820. William P. came to Greene county in 1782, locating in the north east of what is now Lexington. Caleb was a veteran of the war of 1812. George married Emeline Finch. He is a prosperous farmer, owning a farm of 240 acres, which is in a good practical state of cultivation.
WILLIAM M. PEARY, a native of Columbia county, was born in 1825, and married Tabitha Ann Powell of New Baltimore. He owns a farm and mill near Grapeville in the town of New Baltimore. He has also been engaged in mercantile business, and throughout his life has been successful in business and respected as a citizen.
S. PELHAM, blacksmith, was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, November 12th 1828 and married Christina Saxe of Kiskatom.
ABRAM PERSON, farmer of South Cairo, was born at Cairo, June 14th 1814, and has been twice married; first to Ellen Hoos, of Greenville, and afterward to Helen E. Sherman, of Windham. Mr. Person has served his town in the capacities of constable and collector, and is a member of the Cairo Methodist Episcopal church.
CHARLES H. PERSON, farmer, was born in Catskill in 1847, and married Isabella Story of Catskill. They have three children.
JOHN PERSON, son of Hezekiah and Margaret Person, was born in Catskill in 1825, and was married in 1854 to Sarah Layman of Catskill. They have two sons and one daughter.
GEORGE S. PETERS, of Windham, was born in Cairo in 1808, and has been twice married. His first wife was Fannie Slater, of Cairo, who died in 1875. In 1882 he married Mrs. Sarah Hitchcock. His father, Samuel Peters, came to the town of Cairo prior to the Revolution, and established the first hat manufactory in that town.
SPENCER C. PHILLIPS, proprietor of the Catskill Market, is a son of Alexander and Sarah Phillips. He was born in Catskill in 1855. In 1880 he married Mary Millington of Brooklyn.
P. S. PINE, a life long resident of Cairo, was born March 26th 1816, and married Mary C. Wilson of Cairo. He is engaged in the business of farming and boarding.
ADDISON D. PLANK, president of the Farmer’s Mutual Insurance Company, was born in Catskill in 1822, and married Phoebe S. Miller of Leeds. He owns a farm of 220 acres in the town of Catskill.
WILLIAM M. PLANK, carpenter, of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born at Leeds, October 15th 1820, and married Sarah E. Layman of Leeds.
PHILIP PLUSCH, a native of Switzerland, and proprietor of the boarding house, known as the Swiss Home, West Catskill, came to this country in 1850, when he was 20 years old.
ABRAM POST, one of the older residents of Catskill, is a son of Abram and Catharine Post, who came to the town of Catskill about the year 1800. He was born in 1808. His first wife was Sally Hover of Columbia county, who died in 1877. By her he had four children, three of whom are living. In 1880 he married Miss Ellen Conklin of Catskill.
JACOB POST of Catskill, deacon of the Lutheran church was born in 1833. He has been twice married; first to Melissa J. Emmett, and afterward to Susan Fiero. He has three children. His father, Peter Post, was born in Catskill in 1800, and died there in 1866.
ELISHA C. POWELL, a farmer of Coxsackie, was born December 27th 1817, and married Harriet Butler of Greenville.
MRS. MARIA L. RAEDER of Cairo, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1811, and came to this country with her husband, John P. Raeder, in 1839. They have six children.
EZEKIAL RAMSDELL. The year 1790 brought him from Groton, Massachusetts. He located on a farm one mile north of the Prevost burying ground, where he lived the life of a good citizen and Christian, till at an advanced age, he was gathered to his fathers. On that same farm still lives his daughter, Rebecca, the oldest surviving member of the Presbyterian church.
GEORGE D. REA, superintendent of Brewers’ Ice Cream Company, was born in Coxsackie, April 1st 1852. He married Ida Truesdell of Coxsackie, by whom he has had two children.
JAMES REA, a farmer of Coxsackie, was born in Coxsackie, and married Ida Conine of New Baltimore. They have five children.
MARK RIGGS was born in Oxford, Connecticut, in 1807. He came to Greene county in 1837, and located at Hunter, where he worked at his trade, which was chairmaking. He is at present proprietor of a boarding house at Windham. His first wife was Jerusha Wells, of Connecticut, who died in 1862. He married Olivia Collins, of Jewett, in 1864. They have one child.
JOHN H. RORABACK of Lexington, was born in Rennselaer county, New York, in 1828. His wife was Miss Eliza Allen of Windham, and they have one son. Mr. Roraback was formerly a carpenter and joiner, but he is now a farmer. He and his wife are members of the N. S. Baptist church. He was three years a commissioner of highways.
HARRISON ROUSE, of Cairo, a miller, was born September 18th 1841. He enlisted in Company D, 122nd regiment, New York State volunteers, September 13th 1863, and was discharged December 28th 1863. He married Elizabeth Chatterdon, of Cairo.
IRA ROWE, famer, of Round Top, Cairo, was born May 23rd 1824, at Kiskatom. He was married to Margaret Lathrop, of South Cairo.
LUTHER ROWLEY was born in the town of Lexington, in the year 1819. He married for his first wife, Miss Laura Sanford, of Lexington, by whom he had one child. His second wife was Miss Delia Chase, of Jewett. His occupation has been farming. He has held the office of overseer of the poor four years. His parents were Daniel and Sarah Rowley. His father, Daniel Rowley, was a native of Columbia county, and came to Lexington with his parents in 1802.
RICHARD RUNDLE, of New Baltimore, came from Westchester county, New York, in 1791, and settled a short distance north of Robert Palmer, on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Luman Rundle. His deed, which he obtained from the Ten Eycks, is dated 1794, and covers 139 ¾ acres, in consideration of 22 [pounds], 8 shillings.
MRS. C. A. SAXE, of Catskill, was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, February 3rd 1831, and married John S. Saxe (deceased).
HENRY A. SAXE, son of Ira and Catharine Saxe, was born in 1844, on the farm where he now resides, in the town of Catskill. He married Betsey A. Cole, of Catskill. They have three children. He has been for several years deacon of the Dutch Reformed church of Kiskatom.
IRA J. SAXE, farmer, was born at Kiskatom, Catskill, April 10th 1831, and was married to Caroline Mower, of Kiskatom. They have two children, Luther R. and William M.
FREDERICK SAXE, of the Mountain View farm house Kiskatom, Catskill, was born September 17th 1828, and married Betsey Linzey, of Kiskatom.
JOHN L. SAXE, a life-long resident of Kiskatom, Catskill, was born December 25th 1827, and married Laura Jewell, of Dutchess county. His business is farming and milling. He has killed and trapped over 30 bears in the Catskill Mountains.
MOSES J. SAXE, of Catskill, was born August 8th 1840, and married Mary Ann Saxe. He owns a farm of 181 acres.
DAVID H. SCHOONMAKER, of Catskill, was born in 1822, and married Roxaline Schoonmaker. His parents came to Greene county in 1808.
ALEXANDER E. SCHULTZ, a farmer of Windham, was born there in 1819. He married Huldah McKean, of Delaware county. He has held the offices of assessor and auditor.
EDWIN SCOFIELD (deceased), for many years a farmer of Greenville, was born at Westerlo, Albany county, January 31st 1816, and married Caroline Simpkins, March 7th 1829. Their children were: James Edgar, Leander, Erastus, Robert Warren, Francis J., and Harriet E. Francis J. occupies the old homestead of 58 acres; Leander and Erastus have located near by. All are industrious men, and good citizens. The father, Edwin, died June 4th 1881, full of years.
MARY SEARLES, of New Baltimore, wife of Cornelius Elmendorf, is the granddaughter of Caleb Searles, one of the early settlers. She resides on the original purchase of her grandfather, which she inherited from her father, John Searles, born 1816, and died August 10th 1881. The family residence is one of the finest in the central part of the town.
JOHN SEERY was born in Ireland, in 1838. He came in his childhood to America, and settled in Catskill, in 1857. He was married to Bridget Barrett, of Windham.
TRUMAN SIMPKINS came from Westerlo, Albany county, to Greenville, about 1833, and located on a farm of 77 acres, a little east of Freehold. He was the youngest of five sons. He married Sarah Powell, and their children are: Samuel L., Truman H., Robert L., and James H. Two live in Greenville, one in Coeymans, Albany county, one in Catskill, and one, James H., is deceased. Samuel L. married Mary E., daughter of Reynolds Edgett, a pioneer of Greenville, who is a thrift farmer.
“JONATHAN SHERRILL, the great tanner, the good neighbor, the ruling elder; the father of Lewis Sherrill, the great farmer and public spirited man, and Col. Eliakim Sherrill, the dear old playmate of the writer, the brave soldier, who fell mortally wounded on the field of Gettysburg, while cheering on his regiment. The three men named took rank with the very foremost of our citizens. I wish, too, that I knew more and could write more about that grand old man.”
LUZERN J. SMALLING, wagon maker, was born in Windham in 1834, and married Jane Shufeldt. He has been town clerk, also overseer of the poor.
ALEXANDER M. SMITH, farmer, of Cairo, was born in Potters Hollow, Albany county, July 2nd 1848, and married Jemima Richmond. Mr. Smith served during the Rebellion in the 7th regiment heavy artillery. He took part in the battles of Spotsylvania, Wilderness, and Cold Harbor, and in other engagements.
ELISHA P. SMITH, son of Robert and Phila Smith, residing at Freehold village, represents the New Home and the Singer Sewing Machine Companies in his locality. He is a son of Robert Smith, deceased, who bore an honorable record as a thrifty agriculturalist and a citizen. He raised a family of twelve children of whom two besides the subject are still living: Charles L., a farmer of Greenville, and Maria.
G. E. SMITH is doing a successful dentistry business. He learned his business with his brother E. C. Smith, who succeeded D. F. Wilcox, now of Catskill. Dr. Smith is a native of Springfield, Massachusetts, and has been a resident of Greenville since 1867, in constant practice of his profession. His reputation and business extend over a wide extent of northern Greene county.
ISAAC SMITH, son of Isaac and Judah Smith, was born in Coxsackie, October 16th 1828, and is a farmer. In 1869 he opened a boarding house with a capacity for 30 to 40 guests. He has been twice married. His first wife was Emily Day. She died in 1852, and in 1854 he married Miss L. A. Austin. Two sons are the results of this union.
JEREMIAH SMITH, a citizen of Freehold village, Greenville, and by trade a painter, is the third of a family of 10 children of Stephen N. and Peggy (Howard) Smith. They came from Dutchess county at an early day and located in the vicinity of Gayhead. Jeremiah was born July 14th 1833, married Catharine L. Simmons, March 14th 1856, and has two daughters, Angela and Luella.
FREDERICK A. STAHL, clothier and gents furnisher of Catskill, was born in Prussia in 1841, and came to America in 1865. Locating in Catskill, he engaged in business as a barber, which business he still carries on in connection with his store.
P. I. STANLEY, a physician of Windham, was born in Delaware county, August 11th 1825, and married Sarah E. Harper, also of Delaware county. He was graduated from Albany Medical College in 1853.
JOHN W. STORY of Coxsackie, born in Greenville, March 21st 1856, is a son of Matthew and Mary Ann Story of Greenville. He is engaged in agricultural pursuits. December 19th 1878, he married Lillie, daughter of Edwin P. and Mary Green of Greenville. They have two daughters.
CHARLES STEDMAN was born in Harford county, Conn., in 1822, and came to Windham in 1846. He has served two years as supervisor and has also held the offices of town clerk and overseer of poor.
J. W. STOVER is a farmer, and proprietor of the Stover Place, a summer boarding house in the town of New Baltimore.
BENJAMIN SPEES, the first merchant of the town of Greenville, was a farmer as well as a justice of the peace for nearly a quarter of a century, and an interprising man in all that concerned the welfare of the town and the church, of which he was a consistent member. A native of Boston, Massachusetts, his ancestors emigrated from England in the early part of the 17th century. They were seafaring men, owning and commanding merchant vessels.
SPENCER STEVENS, one of the venerable citizens of Greenville, is one of the oldest living natives of the town. He was born January 13th 1812, and is a son of Uriah Stevens, deceased. Solomon Stevens, who was the father of Uriah, was one of the early settlers of Greenville, a native of New Canaan, Fairfield county, Connecticut, and came to Greenville with his father, Abner, and located a tract of about 200 acres on the Coeymans Patent, about one mile north of Gayhead. Spencer is the oldest of a family of three sons and six daughters. He has been an active citizen, and prominently identified with the agricultural growth of Greenville town. He is leading a retired life at his home near Greenville Centre.
DENNIS M. STEWART was born in 1835, at Catskill, and married Hannah J. Holdridge of that place. He is a farmer, and owns 200 acres.
GEORGE E. TEALE, manufacturer of woolen goods at Palenville, was born in 1823, and married Miss S. J. Renne of Cairo. They have three children.
CHARLES H. TEALE, postmaster at Palenville, a position which he has held for many years, was born in Dutchess county in 1805. In 1829 he was married to Pauline Smith of Catskill. They have four children.
GREENVILLE M. THORP, a harness maker of Windham, was born in Durham in 1850 and married Emily Kingsley.
THOMPSON FAMILY. – The first man of this name in what is now Lexington, was Samuel, who was a native of Ireland and probably of Scotch-Irish lineage. He came to America about 1783-4, and, as a surveyor, employed by the Hardenburgh Land Company, surveyed 10,000 acres to the north of Lexington Flats, receiving in payment therefore one-tenth part of the land surveyed as recompense for services. Returning to Ireland, he is supposed to have died while there, and these lands reverting to his brother, Robert, he came with his family and settled thereon. His family consisted of his wife, a McVicker of County Derry, and children James, Mary, Nancy and John. James died unmarried, John married Sarah Deyoe, who bore him eleven children. He served as magistrate of this town for forty years, and in many other town offices. He died in 1879, an honored citizen. His children living are: Caroline, Emeline, John S., and George, of Lexington, James of Wyoming county, Martin, of Schuyler, Nebraska, Catharine, of Syracuse, Sarah, of Acra.
ELISHA THOMPSON, of Jewett, immigrated to this place from Goshen, Connecticut, in 1791. He was born in 1763, and died January 2nd 1838. He was a man widely known and beloved by all who knew him.
GEORGE THOMPSON, of Lexington, son of John and Sarah Thompson of the same town, was born in 1840. His wife was Emeline Angle, daughter of Peter and Dorcas Angle, of Lexington. They have two children. He is a farmer and owns 110 acres. He is also a commissioner of highways.
MINER TIBBALS, one of the older residents of Windham, was born there in 1806, and was married to Temperance Lamoreau, of Albany county, by whom he has had seven children, four of whom are living. His son, George, was killed at battle of Gettysburg.
E. W. TRUMPBOUR, of the Palenville House, was born in Saugerties in 1804, and married Mary A. Barton of Cairo. They have had seven children, three of whom are living.
BENJAMIN TRYON, of Coxsackie, was a native of England, and came to America with Captain Kidd as a soldier on board a man-of-war, and discarding the idea of joining Kidd as a pirate, he was given his liberty and was left on Long Island, from which he came to Greene county before the Revolutionary war. Locating in what is now the town of Coxsackie, he had two sons, Peter and Benjamin. Peter died at the age of 30. Benjamin was twice married. He had three sons, Stephen, Benjamin, and Peter. Benjamin married Mary Allen, by whom he had five children, three of whom are now living; Benjamin, of Coxsackie, and Mary and Susan, of New York city. The last mentioned Benjamin Tryon was born in Greenville, Greene county, New York, in 1813. He married Jane Smith, of Coxsackie, by whom he had one daughter and two sons (one of whom, Dr. Rufus Tryon, is now an acting surgeon in the United States Navy). Mr. Tryon has long been a member of the Dutch Reformed church, and Mrs. Tryon has been superintendent of the Sabbath-school of the same for 25 years.
JOHN S. THOMPSON, of Lexington, a son of Robert Thompson, is proprietor of the Lexington Heights House, situated three hundred feet above and one-half mile from Lexington village. It is a commodious farm boarding house, capable of accommodating 25 guests. The view from the spacious piazza encircling the house beggars description, combining mountain, hill, and valley into a picture partakes of the sublime.
WILLIAM H. THORN, farmer, of South Cairo, was born at Durham, May 7th 1853, and married Emma Place, also of Durham. They are members of the Christian church of Freehold.
NORMAN TICKNOR, fourth son of Benajah Ticknor, and widely known as Deacon Ticknor, was born in Connecticut, in 1794. In 1807, his parents and eight children immigrated to Windham. While his father and eldest brother were busily engaged clearing up a piece of ground, a tree fell on his father, killing him instantly. Mr. Ticknor, shortly after this event, came to the present town of Jewett, where he followed farming till he died, in 1870. He was a deacon of the Presbyterian church, Jewett Heights, for nearly half a century.
SEREPTA C. TIMMERMAN was born at Round Top, and married Peter Timmerman, a farmer of Kiskatom, Catskill, who was born in 1804, and died in 1870.
MOSES TIMMERMAN was born at Catskill, April 9th 1823, and died February 18th 1882. He married Jane Palmatier, of Catskill. He was engaged in the business of horticulture. His son Norman continues the business.
ISAAC A. TRAVIS was born in New Baltimore, in 1836, and married Mary E. Yeomans. He is engaged in farming. He has held the offices of assessor and collector.
CHARLES W. VAN BUREN was born in Schoharie county, June 7th 1852, and married Phoebe Knowles, also of Schoharie county. They have one child. His business is farming and boating.
VANDENBERG FAMILY. – Richard Janse Vandenberg married Tryntje Houghtaling, daughter of Matthias Houghtaling, November 13th 1699. He came to Coxsackie about the same time, and died about 1754. His children were: Maria, born in 1700; Antje, born in January 1703; Matthias, born in 1706; Rachel, born February 22nd 1708, married Caspar Collier; Dorothea, born in 1710, married Teunis Houghtaling; Lydia, born April 24th 1715, married Jan Bronk; Hendrick, born October 19th 1712; and Robert, born in June 1713. Hendrick Vandenberg married Catherine Houghtaling, November 21st 1743. Their children were: Catharine, Leah, Maria, Elizabeth, William, Richard, Matthias, and Robert. The children of Richard, son of Hendrick, were: Elizabeth, wife of Henry Houghtaling; Christiana, wife of _____ Van Hoesen; Henry, born in 1776; and Peter R., born in 1783, died in 1844. Peter R. married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Van Loon, and their children were: Richard, Henry L., Teunis, Isaac, Ann (wife of Jacob Van Loon, son of Major Nicholas), Catharine (wife of Elisha Miller), Rachel (wife of Henry Brownwell), Elizabeth (wife of Obadiah Lampman), Helen (wife of Peter Groom Brandow), Mary (wife of Barent Van Buren), Elsie (wife of Andrew Winans), and Christina. Richard, son of Peter R., married Sarah E. Brandow, and their children are: Warner, Jacob, Richard, and William. The latter married Sarah Kennedy, and has two daughters, Lucy and Edith J. Most of this family are living in Coxsackie. Henry Vandenberg, brother of Peter R., married Rebecca, daughter of Albert Van Loon, son of Jan jr., and their children were: Catharine, wife of Thomas Houghtaling (son of Peter); Albert; Hannah, wife of Jehoiachem Collier; Magdalen, wife of Henry Hallenbeck; Eliza, wife of Hiram Miller; Rachel; Christina; Maria, wife of Luman Miller; Richard, who has two sons, John and Edwin L.; and Christina, wife [of] Wm. H. Winans; Robert Vandenberg, son of Hendrick, and grandson of Richard Jans, married Margaret Brandow. They had three children: Maria, Christina, and Hannah. Maria married Anthony M. Van Bergen, whose son is Robert Henry Van Bergen. Christina married Dr. Abram B. Spoor. Matthias Vandenberg, son of Hendrick, and grandson of Richard Jans, married Elizabeth Tryon. Their children were: Christina (wife of John Lusk), Elizabeth and Henry M. The latter married Margaret Field, and their children were: Matthias, Samuel, Gilbert R., Catharine (wife of Robert Henry Van Bergen), Harriet (wife of William Chapman), Margaret (wife of William F. Terhune), and Isabella (wife of John R. Hallenbeck). Robert Vandenberg, son of Richard Jans, died about 1792. His children were: Elizabeth, born in 1765, married Benjamin Van Orden, and died in 1835; Catharine, married Judge Leonard Bronk; Wilhelmus; Richard; and John R., born in 1760, died in 1817. John R. married Agnes Storm, and had two children, Catherine and Robert I. Catharine married Rev. Robert Bronk. Robert I. married Laura, daughter of Roswell Reed, and their children were: Isabella, Angelica, Eliza, and Walter L. Walter L. is a lawyer of Amsterdam, N.Y.
THE VAN HOESEN FAMILY. – In the year 1645 Jan Franz Van Hoesen came from Holland and settled at Albany. From him descended Jurian Van Hoesen, and from him, Jan Jurian. Cornelius, son of Jan Jurian Van Hoesen, was born at Claverack, in 1714. Caspar, son of Cornelius, was born in 1760, and married Caroline Hallenbeck. By her he had six children, of whom only one is now living, Peter H., of Catskill, who was born at Leeds in 1806, and who married Jane Hallenbeck, of Columbia county. They have four children living.
THE VAN LOON FAMILY at Coxsackie Landing , are thus descended: Nicholas, son of Jan Van Loon, the first settler, had, among other children, a son Jurge, who had a wife Lena, and they had a son, Nicholas, who was born February 26th 1756, and died November 29th 1821. Nicholas, last mentioned, had a son, John M., who also had a son Nicholas, who died in 1883, leaving the following children: Lewis, John M., William, Elizabeth, Fanny, and Alice. John M., the father of Nicholas, also had children: Jeremiah, Matthias, Albert (of Fort Edward, N.Y.), Alice, Elizabeth, and Maria. Most of these are now living in Coxsackie.
JOHN I. VAN SCHAACK, was a son of Isaac Van Schaack, and married Hannah Groom, December 31st 1806. Their children were: Elizabeth, born October 21st 1807; Rachel, born October 18th 1810, died in infancy; Rachel, born January 2nd 1812; married Henry Mac Allister in 1833; John, born February 11th 1814; Hannah, born March 28th 1817; married Stephen Finch in 1840; William, born June 8th 1820; Abraham H., born February 14th 1822; Nicholas P., born December 12th 1823; Rebecca, born August 9th 1826; and Mary, born December 31st 1829. John Van Schaack married Eliza T. Fowler, March 25th 1840; their children were: John, Sarah E., Emily, William Fowler, Eliza L., and Charles, who is now living in Coxsackie. William Fowler Van Schaack married Elizabeth Spresser and has a family now living at Cornwall on the Hudson.
ORRIN VAN TASSEL, of Greenville, is a grand-son of the pioneer, Theodore Van Tassel, who first settled about 2 ½ miles east of Durham village where he raised a family of six sons and two daughters. His oldest son, Theodore, married Mary Holmes of Durham and they had ten sons and five daughters. Orrin, a son of Theodore 2nd, was born February 18th 1813, married January 4th 1848, Elizabeth Ann, daughter of John J. Hallenbeck of Cairo, and they have had three children; George W., John T., and Lucy E. The latter died in 1857, when two years old. Mr. Van Tassel has a farm of 55 acres near Freehold.
CAPTAIN JAMES M. VAN VALKENBURG, a merchant of Lexington, was born in that town in 1842. His wife was Miss Mary A. O’Hara, of the same town.
JOHN R. VAN VALKENBURG, of Lexington, a son of Nelson and Harriet Van Valkenburg, was born in Lexington, in 1846. The father, a son of Cornelius, was born in what is now the town of Halcott. John R. married Catharine Truesdale, of Lexington, from which union two daughters have been born. Both are members of the Methodist church.
WELCOME VAN VALKENBURG, of Lexington, was born in that town in 1844. He is a farmer, and the owner of 116 acres of land. His wife was Miss Theresa Parker, of Lexington. He is a member of the New School Baptist church.
CHARLES A. VEDDER, of Leeds, Catskill, was born on the Atlantic Ocean in the year 1839. He married Amelia Raeder of Cairo. He is engaged in farming and in the boarding business.
ADELBERT VAN WIE was born in Coxsackie, in 1852 and married Agnes Boyle of Kinderhook. They have two sons, David and Nathan. His business is farming.
ABEL WAKELEY, one of the earliest settlers in Greenville, was born in Woodbury, Connecticut, in 1760. His wife was Annas Hurd. They were married March 15th 1785 and came to Greenville in 1786, locating on the present Wakeley homestead, where they raised a family of seven children, of whom Russell, born March 14th 1800, was the 6th. He married Jane Ann, daughter of Ezekiel Stewart of New York city, born March 21st 1811. They have had two children, Almira F., now deceased and Charles Edward who owns and occupies the old homestead. Mr. Wakeley was highly esteemed in the community, was a justice of the peace twelve years and deacon in the Presbyterian church for over 40 years. His father, Abel Wakeley, served in the Revolutionary war, was at West Point at the time of Arnold’s treason, and was a Revolutionary pensioner up to the time of his death.
MOSES WALTERS, light-house keeper at Four Mile Point, was born at Coxsackie, November 30th 1843, and was married to Julia Marvin, of Athens.
OLIVER M. WEBBER, farmer, of Catskill, was born in the town of Greenville in 1826, and married Jane Ann Finch, of Greenville. His parents were David and Susan Webber.
W. M. WEED, a miller, of Cairo, was born at Hector, Seneca county, September 28th 1815, and came to Cairo when 10 years old. His wife, Caroline Sisson, was born at South Cairo, April 15th 1825.
ALBIN E. WEST, proprietor of the Glen House, Windham, was born in 1845, in Albany county. He was town clerk in 1880.
MOSES WHITE, of Windham, was born in Albany county in 1810 and came to Greene county in 1814. He married Laura Taylor, of Durham.
NOAH WHEELER came from Dutchess county and settled in New Baltimore about the first year of this century. He purchased 200 acres, and settled on what has since been known as the Wheeler property. He built the first hotel in the western part of the town about 1808, and carried on the business together with farming until his death in 1826. He left at his death five children, four boys and one girl.
WILLIAM H. WHEELER, of New Baltimore, grandson of Noah, who is now living on part of the old purchase, is one of the representative men of the town. He has been honored in various ways by his fellow townsmen, having held the office of justice of the peace for 20 years, and twice been elected supervisor. He is a large farmer, and as a business man has been successful.
GARRET WHITNEY, farmer, was born in the town of Catskill, March 24th 1824. He married Hannah M. Brant.
HORACE WHITCOMB, of Lexington, a son of Luman and Elizabeth Whitcomb, was born at Hunter, Greene county, New York, in 1823. He was formerly a farmer, but he is now a carpenter and joiner. His wife was Miss Helen J. Angle, daughter of Peter and Dorcas Angle, of Livingston. They have one daughter, Mrs. Minnie B. Haner.
ALEXANDER WHITFORD, a thrifty farmer of Greenville Centre, is a son of Daniel and Mary Wilson Whitford. Daniel was born November 21st 1802. He lived in Westerlo, Albany county, until 1851, and then located on present Whitford home. Besides our subject they had five children: Egbert (deceased); Elizabeth, now Mrs. George Cunningham, of Durham; Alexander; John W., and Lucy A. Alexander married Susan E., daughter of Abram Tompkins, of Westerlo. She died March 14th 1879, leaving Daniel T. and Eldora L. February 3rd 1883 he married Sarah E., daughter of Warren Titus, of Cairo.
JOHN T. WHITMORE, son of Coenrad and Susan Whitmore, was born in Coxsackie, February 7th 1820. For five years after his majority, he was employed as a farm hand, and has since resided where he now lives, engaged in agricultural pursuits. His first wife was Mariah, daughter of Henry and Sarah Cornwell, of Coxsackie. She died December 25th 1864. Their children were three sons and two daughters. December 25th 1866 he married Mrs. Jane Cornwell, daughter of Isaac and Anna Whitbeck, of Athens.
JOHN WILSON, of Coxsackie, a son of Christopher Wilson, was born at county Antrim, Ireland, June 14th 1827. In 1850 he married Jane Surgnar of same place. Nine children have been born to them. In 1863 they came to America and settled in Coxsackie. He is a farmer.
BENJAMIN WILBER, deceased, of Greenville, a native of Fishkill, Dutchess county, New York, was born October 31st 1791. He married Catharine Coonley, daughter of Jacob Coonley. She was born February 19th 1795. Mr. Wilber died June 30th 1856, and Mrs. Wilber, January 14th 1868. Their children were: George, Mary, Abigail, Ann, John, Humphrey, Louis, Coonley, and Albert. George, Louis, and Coonley are deceased. Mary is now Mrs. Stephen Gibson, of Wright Street. She brought up a large family. Mr. and Mrs. Wilber were Quakers of the strictest faith.
G. W. WINANS, farmer, was born at Catskill, January 10th 1842, and married Harriet R. Layman, of Kiskatom. He served in the United States navy during the last year of the war of the Rebellion.
D. L. WINTER, a blacksmith at Kiskatom, Catskill, was born at Jewett, in 1849. He married Margaret J. Setford, of Cornwallsville.
HORACE N. WINTER was formerly a teacher, and during twelve years of his life was a magistrate. He came to his present place of residence, West Kill, in Lexington, in 1865. He was born in what is now Jewett in 1802. His wife was Miss Elizabeth Mead, of Mentz, Cayuga county, New York.
AMOS G. WOLVEN, of Catskill, was born in Ulster county, in 1849. He has been twice married: first, to Miss Zana A. Tice, and second, to Mrs. Margaret Willard. Mr. Wolven is a mason and farmer. He served for six years in Company D, 86th regiment, home guards.
Home Table of Contents History of Greene County Main Page