Synopsis of the Patents
Extracted from the History of Greene County, pages 25-28
By J. G. Beers, published in 1884
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
THE LANDS of this county were at first bought of the Indian proprietors by individuals, generally in comparatively small parcels. Later the Indian title was obtained by the provincial government. Grants from the latter were made to individuals or small companies. No town or manorial charters were granted. We shall here attempt to give only an outline of the many grants that were thus made. The enumeration of them is probably incomplete, but the list embodies all the patents or grants of land of which we have been able to obtain any reliable information. Without regard to chronology or importance it will be more convenient here to notice them in alphabetical order.
Athens, Land under water: Several tracts of land under water at Athens village were surveyed on their applications for Oliver Wiswall and others; Marshall Jenkins; Casper Claw; Thomas Dillon; and Thomas Lawrence and others; March 26th, 1803.
Aloon Grant: Three hundred acres in the town of Windham, adjoining the south boundary of the Batavia tract, were surveyed for Christian and others, March 28th, 1772.
Batavia Patent: This was an irregular shaped strip of land lying along both sides of Batavia Kill, mostly within the present limits of Windham, but extending into Ashland. It contained 4,200 acres and granted to Vincent Matthews and others April 24th, 1836.
"Bake Oven" Patent: This tract lay on the west side of the Katerskill, within the limits of Catskill. It comprised 885 acres in addition to about 3,000 acres which the grantees already held under the Catskill Patent. It was granted November 27th, 1771, to David Abeel jr., John Dederick, Jocobus Abeel and James Abeel.
John Bronk’s Land: A tract of abut 50 acres, lying on the north side of the Katskill, and bounded on the east, west and north by a "certain hill," was confirmed to John Bronk by Governor Cornbury, July 20th, 1705. It lay within the limits of the Catskill Patent, and is excepted in that patent. It had been given to John Bronk by an Indian named Schermerhorn.
Barker’s Patent: Two plains, called by the Indians Tagpohkight and Magquamsasick, lying on the Katskill, between two creeks, were granted to Elizabeth Barker in August (20th or 27th) 1691. The tract contained 400 acres, and lay above Potick, in the present town of Cairo.
Bronck’s Patent: The original Bronck’s Patent was given for a tract of land that had been bought of the Indians by January 13th 1662. It was granted to Pieter Bronck June 11th 1667, and comprised 252 acres, lying between Martin Garrettson’s Island and a "hook of land called by the Indians Koixhacking." A subsequent patent was granted for this, including also the north part of the tract granted to John Clute and others, besides additional land known as the Corlear’s Kill Patent. This second patent was granted to John Bronck and Martin Garrettson May 23d 1687.
Butrick’s Grant: A tract of 2,000 acres of town of Catskill was surveyed for George Butrick, "late Quarter-Master in his Majesty’s 46th Regiment of Foot," January 11th 1768.
Baker’s Grant: Two hundred acres in Catskill were surveyed under warrants dated March 1st 1769, and March 7th 1770, for William Baker, "later Sergeant in His Majesty’s 28th Regiment of Foot," September 24th 1771.
Black and Gregg Grant: One hundred acres, in Durham, were laid out for James Black and John Gregg March 24th 1775.
Beekman and Livingston: A patent was granted to Henry Beekman and Gilbert Livingston June 11th 1719, for a tract lying in the southern part of Catskill, Another patent had been granted to Henry Beekman in 1718. (See Kiskatomatje patent.)
Catskill Patent: This is the largest and most valuable patent ever granted for lands now entirely within this county. It embraced five "great plains," called by the Indians Wachachkeek, Wichquanachtekak, Pachquiack, Assiskowacheek and Potick, with all the land included in a sweep of four miles from the outer edge of the plains in all directions. It contained 35,500 acres. The five plains were the flats at what is now Leeds. The land was bought of the Indians July 8th 1678, by Sylvester Salisbury and Martin Garritsen (Van Bergen), and a patent granted by Governor Andross March 27th 1680. A confirmatory purchase was made of the Indians by Cornelius Van Dyke and Martin Garritsen June 13th 1684, and a corresponding patent was issued by Governor Dongan April 29th 1688. Several comparatively small tracts that fell within its limits were excepted.
Caaterskill Patent: (See Lockerman’s.)
Cantine Patent: This covered 58 ¼ acres of land under water, on the north side of the mouth of the Katskill, granted to John Cantine by the State May 8th 1795.
Corlear’s Kill Patent: This was granted to John Bronk and Martin Garritse May 23d 1687. (See Bronck’s Patent.)
Clute’s Patent: This was granted to John Clute, Jurian Tennisse and John Hendrick De Bruyn, for a tract joining upon the northern part of the Catskill Patent, May 5th 1667. (See Loonenburg Patent.)
Cockburn Grant: This was for 200 acres "at the Blue Mountains," on the north side of the Cader’s Kill, granted to William Cockburn September 16th 1802.
Coleman and others: A tract of land, lying in the towns of Catskill and Cairo, was granted to James Coleman and others April 13th 1768. It comprised 2,000 acres.
Coxsackie Patent: This was the northern part of the Loonenburg Patent that had been sold to Martin Garretse, and was included in the confirmatory patent to Bronck and him of May 23d 1687. (See Bronck’s, Clute’s and the Loonenburg Patents.)
Darby and Tice: Samuel Darby, Solomon Tice and Ephraim Darby petitioned for a tract of 603 ½ acres in the present town of Catskill. It was granted to Robert Fullerton February 28th 1687 and confirmed by patent to Thomas Fullerton January 19th 1692.
Fitch Patent: This was situated in the town of Windham, contained 400 acres, and was granted to Elnathan Fitch.
Frazer’s Patent: A tract of 2,000 acres, now in Durham, was granted to Lieut. Hugh Frazer (or Frasier) June 17th 1765, and surveyed for him June 16th 1767.
Greene and Biddle Tract: This tract was granted to non-commissioned officers and soldiers. It lies in the southwest part of the town of Catskill.
Green Co. Tract: This contained 108 acres and was granted to Walter Livingston, M. West and W. Morris.
Gravis, William: Two hundred acres, near the Great Imboght, were surveyed for William Gravis April 4th 1767.
Glassford, James: This petitioner asked for 299 acres adjoining the Catskill Patent, in the town of Catskill, January 18th 1769. He had been corporal in "His Majesty’s 27th Regiment of Foot."
Gillaspie, John: Petition was made January 13th 1772 by John Gillaspie, "late Corporal in His Majesty’s 27th Regiment of Foot: for 200 acres, in Durham.
Glevis, Matthew: Five hundred acres adjoining the south bounds of Batavia Patent in Windham, surveyed for him March 23d 1772.
Gilleland, William: A tract in the town of Windham, lying near Batavia, was located for William Gilleland February 27th 1797.
Hardenbugh Patent: This patent covers more than one-third of the county, embracing the entire towns of Lexington and Halcott, all but a very small corner of Hunter, nearly the whole of Jewett, and considerable portions of Prattsville and Ashland. It also comprehends considerable portions of Delaware and Ulster counties. Its boundaries were on the east the watershed between the Hudson and Delaware rivers, on the northeast a line drawn from the lakes on Pine Orchard to the head of the Delaware River, Lake Utsayantha, on the northwest and west that river, and on the south a line leaving the Delaware about twelve miles north of Port Jervis and reaching the watershed before mentioned by courses south forty-five degrees east and north fifty-three degrees east. This great patent contained about 2,000,000 acres, about 140,000 acres being in Greene County. This patent was granted under Queen Anne, April 23d 1708, to Johannis Hardenbergh, Leonard Lewis, Philip Rokeby, William Nottingham, Benjamin Fanuel, Peter Fanconer and Robert Lurting. It is supposed to have been more an accident than a design that so large a territory should be granted by this patent. Its upper boundaries were described by definite points in the absence of any survey or measurement, and it may well be conjectured that the grantors had an under estimate of its magnitude. We know of no purchase by these individuals having been made of the Indians previous to this grant, but the title of the latter was supposed to have been extinguished by treaties with the Crown. This territory had been within the jurisdiction of the Iroquois nation, and they, "by many acknowledgments, submissions, leagues, and agreements," had become the allies of the Crown, and the British arms had been set up in all their castles. This union of the Five Nations with the British Crown, which appears to have been entered into prior to 1697, meant to the Indians protection and strength in resisting their enemies, but the Crown it afforded a pretext for appropriating their lands. How ever great the discrepancy between the intention of the Indians and the interpretation of the English Government may have been, the Alliance was still further confirmed and strengthened by a treaty between the Five Nations and the Governor (Nanfan) at Albany in 1701 . In 1749 a general survey of the Hardenbergh Patent was begun. In this survey it was run into lots. As this was extended toward the upper part of the tract it caused much dissatisfaction on the part to the Indians that in 1750 the work was suspended. To quiet the Indians a purchase of this tract was made the following year. By this the Indians sold, for Pounds 149, 19s., to Johannis Hardenburgh., the tract "beginning at the head of Fishkill and from thence running with direct line to the head Catricks-kill, and from the head of Catricks-kill with direct line to the head of Popagonk river; and thence down the east side of the said river Papagonk to a certain place called Shokakeen, where the Popagonk river falls in the Fishkill; and then up the said Fishkill, including the same, to the head thereof or place of beginning." This upper part of this tract was divided into long lots, running from the northeast line of the patent in a southwesterly direction, extending beyond the present line of this county. Thus their length in this county was about twelve miles. (They were called Great Lots, and were divided and subdivided.) Beginning on the northwest line, Number 20 included nearly the whole of Halcott, a point of Lexington, and a large part of Prattsville; Number 21 included the eastern part of Halcott, a considerable part of Lexington, a part of Ashland, and the southeast corner of Prattsville; Numbers 22 and 23 ran across Lexington and Jewett, 22 taking in the southeast corner of Ashland; Number 24 took in the east side of Lexington, the west part of Hunter, and at the upper end covered nearly the width of Jewett; Number 25 ran across Hunter and made its northwest corner upon Jewett. Number 26 covered the east part of Hunter.
Hammond, Abijah: A tract of land north of Batavia was granted to Abijah Hammond July 9th 1790.
Hallenbeck Patent: A Tract of 1,000 acres was petitioned for by Johannes Hallenbeck, and a patent under Governor Hunter was granted for the same in 1717. It lies mainly in Greenville, but extends into Durham and Cairo.
Holland, Matthew: A tract was surveyed to him and others April 12th 1769, having been petitioned for April 6th 1768, situated in Catskill.
Hasbrouck, Elias: A tract of 200 acres, in the town of Windham, was located for this individual February 23d 1797. It lies on the Batavia Kill.
Kiskatomatje Patent: August 22nd 1718, a patent was granted to Henry Beekman, for 370 acres lying under the "blue hills," adjoining the Catskill Patent, in the south part of the town of Catskill. This grant was confirmed by patent of Governor Hunter June 11th 1719, to Henry Beekman, and Gilbert Livingston, including also an additional tract of 2,000 acres.
Koyamans Old Patent: This was granted by Governor Lovelace to Barent Peters, April 7th 1673. It was for a ‘kill" to the north of a place "by the Indians called Kaxkacxks," as far as the place where "Jacob Flodder did use to roll down his timber; " and the adjoining land as far into the woods as the right of the Catskill Indians extended. A condition of the grant was that Peters should erect a saw-mill upon the stream.
Loveridge Patent: The initial part of this tract was granted by Peter Stuyvesant to Peter Thumissen (Van Brunswyck) October 25th 1653. It was increased in size by an additional grant November 16th following. A patent for this was granted by Governor Nicolls May 16th 1667, to Eldert Gerberts Criniff and Harmen Harmens Gansevoort. William Loveridge, the owner in 1682, repurchased it of the Indians with an additional tract July 19th , and a patent for this enlarged tract was granted to his son William Loveridge jr. February 8th 1686. It lay in Catskill near the Great Imboght.
The Lindsey Patent: This covered the site of the present village of Catskill, and embraced 460 acres. It was purchased of the Indians, Cuspuwaen and others, by Gysbert Uytden Bogaert, July 26th 1684, but a patent was not obtained until August 22nd 1738, when it was owned by John Lindsey, to whom a grant bearing this date was issued.
Loonenburg Patent: A tract, called Caniskek, now mostly in the town of Athens, was purchased of the Indians by Johannis Clute, Jan Hendrick Bruyn and Jureaen Theunessen, April 20th 1665. A patent for the same was granted by Governor Nicolls, May 25th 1667. The northern part of this, down as far as the hill Stevesink, was sold to Martin Garretse, March 28th 1681, and was included in the patent to John Bronk and him May 23d 1687, which is spoken of under the head of Bronck’s Patent, and is also sometimes called the Coxsackie Patent.
Lockerman Patent: This lay at the Great Imboght in the town of Catskill. It was bought of the Indians April 5th 1686. A patent was granted for it by Governor Fletcher to Jacob Lockerman, November 21st 1695. It is sometimes called the Caaterskill Patent.
Lydias Patent: (See Rosenboom.)
Lamb, John: Two hundred acres, lying "under the Blue Mountains," in Catskill, were surveyed September 24th 1771, pursuant to warrants of March 1st 1769, and March 7th 1770, for John Lamb, "late Corporal in His Majesty’s 78th Regiment of Foot."
Lowace, Daniel: A tract of 50 acres was surveyed for him May 19th 1772, on the west side of the Kaaterskill, in the town of Catskill. He had been a private in the 55th Regiment.
McLean and Treat: (See Treat & McLean.)
Matthews, Vincent, Patent: A tract was granted December 20th 1731, to Vincent Matthews, John Cornwell, Samuel Heath and Abraham Looge. It contained 500 acres in the south part of Catskill.
Meales & Hayes Patent: This was for a "Vly" or meadow, partly in the extreme southern portion of Catskill, partly in Saugerties. It was granted to George Meales and Richard Hayes May 31st 1687, and contained 1194 ¾ acres.
Maitland Patent: This covered a tract of 5,000 acres, in Durham, surveyed for Lieutenant-colonel Richard Maitland June 16th 1767.
Moore, Thomas: For him and others a tract in Cairo, was surveyed April 12th 1769, for which petition had been made April 6th 1768.
McCarty, John: Pursuant to warrants dated March 1st 1769, and March 7th 1770, 200 acres, in two tracts, lying in the town of Catskill, were surveyed for John McCarty, "late Drummer in His Majesty’s 18th Regiment," September 24th 1771.
Millet, Thomas: This patent was surveyed for Thomas Millet and others March 9th 1772. It contained 600 acres, in two tracts, located in Cairo.
McIntosh, Daniel and others: Six hundred acres in Windham, adjoining the southwest bounds of the Batavia Patent, were surveyed for Daniel McIntosh and two other non-commissioned officers, March 28th 1772.
Morrison, Kenneth: A tract of 200 acres on the western side of the Kaaterskill, in the town of Catskill, was surveyed for Kenneth Morrison, "late Sergeant in the 55th Regiment," May 19th 1772.
Mushier, Jacob: Thirty acres of land under water, on the line between Catskill and Saugerties, were surveyed for him February 5th 1798.
Northrop, Isaac: To him was granted land under water at the village of Athens. Surveyed March 28th 1803.
Provost Patent: This covers 12,000 acres in Greenville and Durham, patents for parts of which were granted to Augustine Prevost, August 15th 1765, March 10th 1768, and another the same year.
Rosenboom Patent: This was a tract lying on the north limit of the Catskill patent, encroaching upon it, west of the Loonenburg Patent, in the towns of Athens and Coxsackie. The patent was granted April 12th 1751, to Jacob, John Jacob, and John G. Rosenboom. The latter conveyed his share (one-third) to John Henry Lydias, July 5th 1751, from which circumstance it is sometimes called the Lydias Patent.
Rightmeyer’s Patent: This lay mostly in the Schoharie county, but a portion of it lay within the northwest part of this county. It was sometimes called Dice’s Manor. A patent was granted May 6th 1754, to Ury Rightmeyer, containing 8,000 acres.
Scott, John Morin, Patent: This embraced two tracts, purchased of the Catskill Indians, in 1766, through Governor Henry Moore. This purchase and the subsequent patent included also a third tract not in this county. These two tracts lay in Cairo, one containing 3,160 acres, and the other 1,500 acres, and were granted by patent to John Morin Scott, Martin Geritsen Van Bergen and seventy-four others, January 2d 1770, surveyed May 2d 1768, and June 28th 1769.
Seaton’s Patent: Sir Henry Seaton, Baronet, received a patent July 18th 1767, for a tract of 3,000 acres of land adjoining the Manor of Rensselaerwick, It is in the town of Durham.
Stewart’s Patent: Two thousand acres, now in Durham, were granted to Lieutenant Walter Stewart, September 7th 1771. It adjoined Rensselaer Manor on the north and Frazer’s Patent on the south.
Schoonmaker, Henry: He had a grant of 200 acres, in Durham, near Dice’s Manor, July 16th 1800.
Swords, Harper & Spaight: A tract of land partly in Ulster county and partly in Hunter was surveyed for Thomas Swords, Josiah Harper and William Spaight, November 4th 1767.
Sutherland and Henry: A tract of 100 acres, lying "under the Blue Mountains," in the town of Catskill, was surveyed for George Sutherland and John Henry, "late private soldiers, " September 24th 1771.
Stephenson Grant: On the west side of the Kaaterskill, in the town of Catskill, 200 acres were surveyed for William Stephenson, "late Corporal in the 55th Regiment," May 19th 1772.
Treat & McLean’s Patent: The first tract lay diagonally on the north Hardenbergh line, mainly within the town of Hunter. The second tract lay above it and was granted to Donald McLean, Malachy Treat and Neal McLean, November 11th 1768.
Ten Broeck, Cornelius, Patent: About 800 acres lying on both sides of the Kaaterskill, in the southern part of the town of Catskill, was granted by patent to Cornelius Ten Broeck, November 29th 1749.
Ten Broeck, Wessel, Patent: A tract of 825 acres, lying on the Hudson River, in the southern part of Catskill, was granted to Wessel Ten Broeck, November 25th 1733.
Walter, Robert: A tract of 200 acres, lying on the west of the Katskill, in Cairo, was surveyed for Robert Walter, October 24th 1788.
Woodworth & Van Rensselaer: A tract of 600 acres on Batavia Creek, town of Windham, was surveyed for Robert Woodworth, John Van Rensselaer and their associates, June 8th 1796.
Williams, Elisha: A grant was issued to him April 12th 1813, for several lots of unappropriated land on the mountain at Pine Orchard, now partly in the town of Catskill and partly in Hunter.
Van Bergen Patent: What is called the Third Van Bergen tract lies in the northwest part of the county, extending into Schoharie county upon the mountains. It contained 35,500 acres, and was surveyed for Martin Garretson Van Bergen and others, June 23d 1767. Another tract in Greenville and Cairo containing 950 acres was granted to the same, June 12th 1741.
Van Vechten Patents: Derick Tunisse Van Vechten received a patent for land in Catskill from Governor Dongan March 21st 1686. Tunis Van Vechten received a grant for land under water (the Katskill) opposite to his farm, September 26th 1770.
Van Bremen Patent: Peter Stuyvesant, October 25th 1653, granted to Jan Van Bremen a tract of about 70 acres in Catskill. This was confirmed by a patent from Governor Nicolls, August 1st 1668, and was afterward included in the patent granted to Van Vechten.