Albert Chase Bloodgood
From The Capital Region of New York State, Crossroads of
Francis P. Kimball
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
Widely and favorably known in the legal profession and for his own work as a lawyer, Albert Chase Bloodgood is a member of the law firm of Osborn, Bloodgood, Wilbur and Fray, of Catskill.
Mr. Bloodgood was born November 23, 1871, in Hensonville, New York, son of Cyrus Edward and Lydia A. (Chase) Bloodgood. His family is an old and well established one on both sides of the house. His grand father on the paternal side, Jason F. Bloodgood, was a farmer in Greene County, and his paternal grandmother was Lucinda (Coe) Bloodgood, a member of the old Coe family. On the maternal side of the house, Albert C. Bloodgood’s ancestry dates back eight generations, according to family records, to Thomas Chase, who is on record as having come from Chesham, England, in 1636. Albert C. Bloodgood’s maternal grandparents were Albert and Laura Orinda (Woodworth) Chase, the latter a daughter of Abner and Betsey (Judson) Woodworth, who were married in 1844 in East Jewett, New York. His uncle, the Hon. Emory Albert Chase (q.v.), was a distinguished lawyer and judge. The father, Cyrus Edward Bloodgood (q.v.), was a merchant in Hensonville, though he removed to Catskill in 1898 upon being elected clerk of Greene County. He held other public offices, notably that of supervisor from the town of Windham in 1881 and 1882 and that of chairman of the board of supervisors in 1882.
Albert Chase Bloodgood attended common schools, and was graduated from the Eastman Business College, in Poughkeepsie, New York. Studying law, he took up the practice of his profession in Catskill, where he is today a member of the law firm of Osborn, Bloodgood, Wilbur and Fray. This firm, persisting through many changes in personnel and in community conditions, dates far back in Catskill’s legal history. With it have been associated from decade to decade, since the eighties of the last century, such eminent names as those of Judge Emory Albert Chase (q.v.), Frank H. Osborn (q.v.), W. Irving Jennings (q.v.), Howard C. Wilbur and John L. Fray (q.v.). In a grand procession these men and others of their colleagues have represented the legal fraternity in their district, each one a link in a vast chain constituting a splendid professional succession. First there was the law office of King and Hallock, in which Emory A. Chase studied in the late seventies. Then came Hallock and Jennings, in which Judge Chase was a law clerk before his admittance to the bar; then Hallock, Jennings and Chase, after July 4, 1882; then Jennings and Chase following Mr. Hallock’s retirement September 22, 1890; then, after Judge Chase’s elevation to the bench, in 1896, Jennings and Osborn, with W. Irving Jennings and Frank H. Osborn as partners. At Mr. Jennings’ retirement, May 1, 1898, the firm became Osborn and Bloodgood, when Albert Chase Bloodgood became a partner of Mr. Osborn. Howard C. Wilbur was admitted on January 1, 1905, after which the firm style was Osborn, Bloodgood and Wilbur, so continuing until John L. Fray’s entry, March 1, 1916, changed it to Osborn, Bloodgood, Wilbur and Fray, its present form.
Albert Chase Bloodgood, since his membership in this firm, had taken his full share of responsibilities for carrying on the legal work that arises in Catskill. He is highly regarded in Greene County, not alone for this service, but for his participation in business and community affairs. He is first vice-president and a trustee of the Catskill Savings Bank and a director of the Tanners National Bank of Catskill. As president of the Board of Education of the Union Free School District No. 1, of Catskill, he has further contributed to community welfare, and he is also president and a director of the Catskill Young Men’s Christian Association and a member of the Rip Van Winkle Club and the Presbyterian Church.
Albert Chase Bloodgood married, April 23, 1901, in New York, Annie Howland, daughter of Francis N. and Mary A. (Nichols) Howland. Mary A. Nichols was the daughter of Brigadier-General George S. Nichols, a veteran of the Civil War, and Ann (Foster) Nichols.