From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham
Transcribed by Celeste MacCormack.
ANDREW G. BALDWIN, proprietor of one of the best dairy farms
in Gilboa, N.Y., was born in Greenville, Greene County, this State, December 11,
1827, son of Harvey and Eliza (Boyd) Baldwin. His father was born in Woodbury,
Conn., September 7, 1799, and his mother was born in Greenville, March 17, 1800.
His paternal grandfather, Andrew Baldwin, who was a native of Connecticut, and
lived there a number of years after marrying, removed with his family to
Greenville, and later from there to Mount Morris, N.Y., where he died. He was an
industrious farmer. He had six children. namely: Deborah, who never married;
Nancy, who was the wife of Judge Reuben Hine, of New York City; Harvey; Andrew,
who died while young; Hannah, who married James Conkey, of Mount Morris; and
Harriet, who married William Barnes, of Monmouth, Ill.
Harvey Baldwin, father of Andrew G., was fourteen years old when his parents
settled in Greenville. He remained there until 1837, when he removed to a farm
in Conesville, Schoharie County, where his death occurred on December 14, 1849.
He was the father of five children, two of whom are living, namely: Andrew G.,
the subject of this sketch; and William L. Baldwin, a lawyer of Breakabeen and
ex-district attorney. The others were: Ann Jane, wife of the late Dr. E. R.
Mackey, of Catskill, N.Y.; John H., M.D., who died in Olive City, Ulster County,
N.Y., in 1889; and James Harvey, who died at the age of ten years. The mother
died September 7, 1857.
Andrew G. Baldwin acquired his education in the schools of Greenville and
Conesville. He aided in carrying on the home farm until his father’s death,
and continued to reside in Conesville for five or six years afterward. Coming to
Gilboa in 1855, he was engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1861, when he
purchased a farm, on which he lived about three years. For the past thirty-four
years he has occupied a residence in the village, but still manages his
agricultural property, which consists of two farms, one containing one hundred
and ninety-seven acres and the other one hundred and twenty-three acres. With
the aid of hired assistants he carries on general farming and dairying. He has
dealt somewhat extensively in cattle, and at one time handled Canadian horses.
For more than thirty years Mr. Baldwin has served as Justice of the Peace, and
in that capacity he transacts most of the minor legal business in this vicinity.
During his four years upon the Board of Supervisors he was chairman of the
legislation and printing committees, and was a member of the committee on
accounts of County Treasurer. He has also held other offices. He was always
strongly opposed to slavery. His first Presidential vote was cast for the Whig
candidate in 1852. His allegiance to the Republican party dates from its
formation, when he assisted in perfecting the local organization. He has served
upon various committees, and has missed but one town election since becoming a
Mr. Baldwin married Charlotte E. Stryker, daughter of Peter B. Stryker, who came
with his parents from New Jersey in 1785, the Stryker family being the very
first to settle in this section. Mrs. Baldwin’s grandfather came from Holland.
Her father was quite active in public affairs, and prominently identified with
the Dutch Reformed church. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have had five children, namely:
Carrie E., who married William Hagarton, M.D., for twenty-four years a
well-known physician of Gilboa; Minnie E., who married Henry Carpenter, and is
no longer living; George S., M.D. who is now practising in New York City; Lewis
C., a dentist, who also practises in the metropolis; and Grace A., who is
Mr. Baldwin joined the Dutch Reformed church in 1865, and during his period of
membership has served as Elder, Deacon, treasurer, and superintendent of the
Table of Contents Biographical
Review Home Page