F. and William C.
From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham Center Museum.
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
Benjamin F. and William C. Platner, of Prattsville, N. Y., are sons of Cornelius and Laura (Parmentier) Platner. Their paternal grandfather was a native and lifelong resident of Hudson, N. Y.
Cornelius Platner was born in Prattsville in February, 1821. He learned the trade of hatter, which he followed here for many years, first as a journeyman and later in company with Theodore Rudolph, as a member of the firm of Platner & Rudolph. Their shop was at one time destroyed by a flood, but they rebuilt it, and subsequently continued the business. Their partnership being finally dissolved, Mr. Platner opened a restaurant in the building now occupied by his sons, and carried it on for some time. He held quite a prominent position in the community, took an active interest in town affairs, and served several years as Deputy Sheriff. He was also active in military matters, and was connected with the militia in early training days. In politics he was a Democrat.
His wife, Laura, was a native of Tannersville, N. Y., and a daughter of Winthrop Parmentier. Their family consisted of ten children, of whom six are now living, five being residents of Prattsville; namely Charles H., Chester A., Joseph E., Benjamin F., and William C. Charles H. Platner is the proprietor of a general store in Prattsville. Chester A. is engaged in the feed business, and has also a large interest in the Stanley Hall farm of five hundred acres. He keeps one hundred cows, and deals largely in cattle, besides having other extensive business interests. Joseph E. is a druggist in Prattsville. Gustavus A. is a farmer residing near Ashland. Mrs. Laura Parmentier Platner died in 1895, at the age of seventy years.
Benjamin F., and William C. Platner were educated in the public schools of the village, and have always resided here. They formed their copartnership February 1, 1885, both having had some previous experience as clerks. They have since conducted a very thriving general mercantile business. Their store, of which they are the owners, stands on what was formerly the old Platner homestead, and measures fifty by fifty feet, exclusive of the house and store-rooms. They carry the largest stock of general goods in this section, their boot and shoe department being the largest between Kingston and Catskill. They have been very successful, and their business is continually on the increase. Quiet, unassuming gentlemen, they enjoy a wide popularity.
Mr. William C. Platner married on June 5, 1895, Miss Marion Becker, of Grand Gorge, and estimable lady, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Wyckoff) Becker, then of that place, but now of Stamford village. He is a Democrat politically, but hitherto had declined office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business. He was formerly interested in the then proposed Kingston & Utica Railway, being secretary of the company. He is a member of Oasis Lodge, No. 119, F. & A. M., which he joined in 1888, and in which he has filled some of the chairs, being now Senior Warden. He and his wife belong to the Reformed church, which they attend and help support.