P. McCabe, MD
From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham Center Museum.
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
Charles P. McCabe, M. D., of Greenville, one of the foremost practicing physicians of Greene County, was born on August 11, 1856, in the house where his father, Bradley Selleck McCabe, M. D., now resides. His family is an old one in the county, having been prominent here since 1783, when Stephen McCabe, his great-grandfather, settled in New Baltimore.
Stephen McCabe was born in New Jersey in 1755. During the Revolution he enlisted and served for a time in the Continental army. At the close of the war he came to New Baltimore with his wife, Mary Farrar, and their family, his son Benjamin being then three years of age. There he settled on the estate now owned by Hiram Miller.
Benjamin McCabe, the third son, was married in 1812 to Sarah Gedney, of New Baltimore, and continued to reside on his father’s place till 1825, when he purchased and removed to the farm now occupied by Mrs. Cathcart. In 1834 he bought and removed to the farm now owned by Adam Lorenz. Benjamin’s wife, Sarah, was the daughter of Joshua Gedney, who was one of the pioneer settlers of New Baltimore, where he became the owner of a fine farm. He was born in Westchester County, of which his father was an early settler, and it was on his father’s land in that county that the battle of White Plains took place. Joshua Gedney and his wife, whose maiden name was Bennett, were zealous Methodists, and their descendants to the present generation have continued in the faith of that church. Mrs. Gedney died at seventy. She was born in Westchester County. Her children were: Peter, Bartholomew, Joshua, Samuel, Absalom, Sarah, Hannah, and Patience. Of Benjamin McCabe it has been written, "He was possessed of a discriminating mind and a sound judgment, and was never known to shed a tear nor to laugh audibly, so perfectly was his passions under his control." He died on November 6, 1855, surviving his wife only nine days. He was the father of the following named children: Caroline, Jane, Hamilton, Bartholomew G.; Bardley S., Philip E., and Mary. Of these Hamilton J., the eldest son, has for years been engaged in the tin and hardware business in Greenville village; and Bartholomew G., the second son, who was graduated in medicine, died at Deposit, Delaware County, N. Y.
Bradley Selleck McCabe, M. D., father of the subject of this sketch, received his medical diploma from the Albany Medical College in 1850, and shortly entered on the duties of his profession in partnership with Dr. Gideon Botsford, with whom he had begun the study of medicine some years before, after attending Greenville Academy. The late Dr. Botsford was a notable man of this time in Greenville, and had a very large practice. Dr. McCabe, who has been his worthy successor, is known throughout the county for his skill both in medicine and in surgery. He has been for a number of years a member of the Board of Trustees of Greenville Academy. He represented his town in the Board of Supervisors six years, was twice chairman of the Board. He has also represented the county in the State legislature.
He was married on June 26, 1850, to Mary L., youngest daughter of the late Dr. Amos Botsford Three children have been born to him—Amos B., Charles P., and George G. Amos B. McCabe, who had been in the sub-treasury in New York City since 1890, was born on September 17,1852, and during early manhood engaged in agricultural pursuits. He married Helen Kyle, of Albany, and has two children—John C. and Mary B., the son being now in the employ of the New York Life Insurance Company. George G. McCabe was born on June 26, 1860. He was formerly in the employ of P. Winne & Co., of this place, but is now carrying on a drug business for himself. He was Postmaster for eight years under Cleveland, and he is the present Supervisor of the town. He married Emmeline Stevens, the ceremony taking place on January 8, 1895. Dr. Bradley S. McCabe was Postmaster for four years under Franklin Pierce, and also under James Buchanan. He was formerly connected with the Odd Fellows, and was for some years an active worker in that organization.
Charles P. McCabe after attending the Greenville Academy went to Boston, Mass., and entered the Conservatory under the famous teacher, Petersilea, where he remained for two years. Returning to his native place, he taught music for some years, but in 1880 began to study medicine with his father. Subsequently he entered the Medical College at Albany, and in March, 1883, took his degree from that institution. After some time spent in the Boston hospitals and attendance on the clinics there, he came back to Greenville and settled to practice with his father, continuing in partnership with him till 1890. He has since practiced alone. He has patients in all the surrounding towns over a radius of fifteen miles and besides his extensive medical practice has many difficult surgical cases. He built his present residence in 1889.
Dr. Charles P. McCabe was married on September 10, 1884, to Helena F., eldest daughter of Robert Elliott, of Hunter, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Of this union three children have been born, of whom Clara, the eldest, died at the age of fourteen months, and Millicent at the age of five and a half years. One daughter is living, Dorothy K. In religious faith Dr. Charles P. McCabe is a Methodist. Both he and his wife are prominent workers in the church, and he has been superintendent of the Sunday-school and for many years one of the stewards. For many years he sang in the choir, and formerly he held the position of organist. He organized the Greenville Musical Union, a chorus of seventy voices, and so great was its reputation that at one time the largest hall in the town was filled on six successive evenings to listen to it. Mrs. McCabe was a teacher in the Sunday-school for many years, and also sang and acted as organist. She is a graduate of Kingston Academy and of Chamberlaine College in Randolph, N. Y. She was born in Hunter.
Dr. Charles P. McCabe is a member of the New York State Medical Society, and is now president of the Greene County Medical Society. In politics he is a Democrat. In 1893 he was elected and served as Supervisor, but he refused to accept the nomination a second time, and has uniformly declined to run for other offices, feeling that his practice needs his undivided attention. He is however, connected with various fraternal societies, namely: with James M. Austin Lodge of Masons, of which he was Master for three terms; with Zeus Lodge of the Knights of Pythias, of which he was Chancellor for two years, and of which he is a charter member and was the first commanding officer. He has unusual business aptitude. He is president of the Green County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and was formerly president of the Village Fire Association, which operates in Green, Albany, Delaware, and Schoharie Counties, and he is a director in both companies. Ever since the Greenville Board of Education was organized he has been one of its most active members.