Edwin L. Ford, M.D.
From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
EDWIN L. FORD, M.D., a prominent physician of Lexington, N. Y., and a veteran of the Civil War, was born on the farm where he now resides October 13, 1842, son of David and Abigail (Faulkner) Ford. His paternal grandfather, Joel Ford, who was a native of Connecticut, came to Lexington with an ox-team, bringing his wife and three children, and making his way by the aid of marked trees. He began life here in a log cabin, and after clearing a tract of land built a frame house. He was the father of thirteen children, none of whom are living.
David Ford, the Doctor’s father, was a musician. He was the organizer and for fifty years the leader of Ford’s String Band, and was familiarly known as "Uncle Dave." In politics he was a Democrat, and served as Tax Collector and Constable. He resided on the farm now occupied by his son, and died at the age of eighty. His wife, Abigail, was a daughter of William Faulkner, an Englishman. Her father was a shoemaker and farmer, and was prominently identified with political affairs, having been elected to Congress. Mrs. Abigail Ford died at the age of thirty-seven. She was the mother of three children, two of whom are living, namely; Edwin L., the subject of this sketch; and Jeannette, who married John P. Miller, of Jewett. The parents were members of the Baptist church.
Edwin L. Ford spent his boyhood and youth in assisting his father, and also in working by the month on farms near his home. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company F, One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment, New York Volunteers, for service in the Civil War. Among the engagements in which he took part were the battles of Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and Culpeper. He was severely wounded at Gettsyburg, and was in the hospital three months. When convalescent he was detailed as hospital nurse, and upon his recovery he rejoined his regiment. He was taken prisoner at Mine Run, and during his captivity was confined in Libby Prison, Belle Isle, Andersonville, Savannah, and Miller, Ga., where he was exchanged. Resuming active duty, he participated in the battle of Hatcher’s Run and the siege of Petersburg, was present at Lee’s surrender, and was mustered out in June, 1865. Deciding to enter professional life, he began the study of medicine with Dr. S. L. Ford, of West Kill, and later attended lectures at the Albany Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1868. Locating in Lexington, where he had already practiced to some extent, he acquired a large and lucrative practice, and has faithfully discharged his duties as a physician for the past thirty years. Being the only physician in town, he has a large practice covers a wide circuit.
In 1872 Dr. Ford married for his first wife Frances A. Cox, of Cambridgeport, Mass., daughter of the Rev. Leonard Cox, who was a graduate of Harvard University and a Baptist minister. Mr. Cox at one time preached in Lexington, but is now a resident of Virginia. Of this union there were two children, neither of whom is living. Dr. Ford’s first wife died at the age of forty, and in 1887 he married for his second wife Annie L. Dunham, of Lexington, daughter of the late Aaron B. and Mary (Bonestell) Dunham. Of this union there are two children—Edwin and Ethel.
Dr. Ford is a member of the Greene County Medical Society, and is Medical Examiner for the Phoenix, Mutual, Equitable, and other insurance companies. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic and the Knights of Pythias. Politically, he is a Democrat. He was Town Physician and a member of the Board of Health several years. He and his family attend the Baptist church.