Elmer E. Pelham

From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham Center Museum.
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin


Elmer E. Pelham, proprietor of "The Kenwood," at Haines Falls, town of Hunter, Greene County, N. Y., was born near Palenville, this county, August 30, 1863, son of Snyder and Christina (Saxe) Pelham. His parents are natives of the same town, and his grandfather, Peter Pelham was a lifelong resident of the vicinity of Palenville. His father learned the trade of a blacksmith, which he followed near Palenville many years, and he is still living at his former place of business. He is a Republican in politics. His wife, Christina, was a daughter of Jeremiah Saxe, a farmer near Palenville. She is the mother of four sons, all of whom are living; namely, Jeremiah P., Harvey C., Elmer E., and Adam A. The parents attend the Reformed church.

Elmer E. Pelham was educated in the common schools of his native town, and remained at home until sixteen years of age. He then came to the Haines Falls House, where he was employed for twelve years, and at the expiration of that time he erected the present house, known as "The Kenwood," situated near the Haines Corners railroad station. It is located on high ground, is equipped with all modern improvements, and has accommodations for fifty people. Mr. Pelham has been in the boarding business nearly ten years, has been successful, and is well known throughout the county.

In 1888 Mr. Pelham was united in marriage with Elida F. Fatum, daughter of Henry Fatum, of Saugerties, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Pelham have one son, Fred E.


Home            Table of Contents    Biographical Review Home Page