Nelson O. Green
From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham
Transcribed by Celeste MacCormack.
NELSON O. GREEN, contractor and builder, of Tannersville, Greene County, N.Y., and a Civil War veteran, was born in Hunter, this county, May 25, 1844, son of Giles and Sarah (Warner) Green. His father was born in Hunter, May 23, 1800, and his mother, who was of Dutch descent, was a native of Conesville, Schoharie County. His paternal grandfather, Seth Green, who came form Connecticut, found his way here by the aid of marked trees, and was the third to settle where the village of Hunter is now located. Taking up a tract of land, he erected a log house and followed farming. He was quite prominent here in his day, and served as Justice of the Peace. He had a large family of children, six of whom lived to be over eighty years old.
Giles Green, father of Nelson O., obtained his education in the common schools, and in his youth worked upon the home farm. Later he had one hundred and twenty-five acres of the homestead property, upon which he erected a dwelling and engaged in farming, becoming well-to-do. Besides this property he owned a number of houses in Hunter. In politics he was a Democrat. He died at eighty-nine years of age. His wife, Sarah, died at the age of eighty-four. She was the mother of four children, three of whom are living; namely, Nelson O., Emma., and Gilbert. Emma E. Green is the widow of George Pollock, and Gilbert is a resident of this town. The parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Nelson O. Green began his education in common schools of Hunter. He resided at the parental home until he was thirteen years old, when he went to Romeo, Mich., twenty-eight miles from Detroit, where he remained two years, attending school and following various kinds of employment. Returning East, he enlisted in 1862 in the One Hundred and Twentieth New York Regiment, with which he served three years in the Civil War. He saw a great deal of active service, and was slightly wounded. He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg - at the last-named place the regiment losing one thousand out of fifteen hundred men in a short time - the battles of Mine Run, Spottsylvania, Tolapotamie, Chickahominy, Cold Harbor, and the siege of Petersburg, where on March 25, 1863, he was taken prisoner. He was confined in Libby Prison until paroled, when he rejoined his regiment in Washington. He was made Second Sergeant, but declined further promotion, and was mustered out at the close of the war. Upon his return he went to Saugerties, N.Y., where he was engaged in farming for two years. Later he worked in the chair factory at Susquehanna, and followed this occupation for twelve years in different towns. Coming to Hunter in 1874, he was employed in the chair factory for four years, and then turned his attention to carpentering, doing a considerable business in this line in towns along the Hudson for six years. When Onteora, Elka, and Twlight Parks were opened, he engaged in contracting for the building of cottages; and he has erected a number at each place, employing a large force of men.
In 1874 Mr. Green was joined in marriage with Alice M. Lester, of Hunter. They have had four children - Jeanette, William, Robert, and Jasper. Jeanette, who is a graduate of the State Normal School, is now engaged in teaching. Jasper died at the age of nineteen.
Mr. Green is a Republican in politics, but has declined public office. He is a comrade of A. N. Baldwin Post, No. 263, G.A.R., of Hunter, and has served as color-bearer for seven years.