Thomas W. Jeralds
From the Biographical Review, Volume XXXIII, located at the Durham
Transcribed by Celeste MacCormack.
THOMAS W. JERALDS, a retired business man and wealthy resident of Ashland, was born in Waterbury, Conn., August 28, 1839, son of Thomas and Mary (Brown) Jeralds. Both his father and his paternal grandfather, whose given name was Ransom, were natives of Bethany, Conn. Ransom Jeralds, however, removed from that town to Wallingford, same State, where he carried on a farm for the rest of his active period, his death occurring at the age of seventy-nine years.
When a young man Thomas Jeralds became a Methodist minister, and was attached to the New York East Conference for about twenty years. He was subsequently engaged in the silverware business at Meriden, Conn., until his retirement. He died at the age of forty-seven years. His first wife, Mary, who was a native of Burlington, Conn., died in early womanhood, leaving two children, namely: Ellen M., who married Henry Wooding, and is no longer living; and Thomas W., the subject of this sketch. For his second wife he married Betsey Parker, a sister of Charles Parker, a prominent manufacturer of Meriden and the first Mayor of that city. Of this union there were three children, two of whom are living, namely: Sarah R., who married John Ten Eyck; and Mary A., who married Mr. Morgan, of Meriden, Conn. Mrs. Betsey P. Jeralds is still living, and is now ninety-two years old.
Thomas W. Jeralds went from the Wallingford High School to the academy in Meriden, and his studies were completed at the Ashland Collegiate Institute. Entering mercantile business in his town, he continued it in Cheshire and still later in Wallingford, where he kept a general store for some time. From Wallingford he removed to Ashland, N.Y., where he engaged in active business until his retirement in 1890, and where he still makes his home. He has business interests in various places, and his time is now devoted to the care of his investments and to the management of his fine estate in this town. This valuable property, which is known a Crescent Lawn, consists of one hundred and fifty-five acres of desirably located land, used chiefly for dairy purposes and the cultivation of small fruits, and containing two substantial residences adjoining each other.
In 1860 Mr. Jeralds was joined in marriage with Frances A. Tuttle, a native of Ashland, daughter of Albert and Aurelia Tuttle. Albert Tuttle was a well-to-do merchant and speculator. He figured conspicuously in the public affairs of this town, and held all of the important local offices. He also served as Postmaster, and while a member of the Assembly he introduced the act incorporating the town of Ashland. He was the father of five children by his first union, and by a second marriage he had two children, one of whom became Mrs. Jeralds. Mrs. Jeralds, died January 9, 1898, aged fifty-eight years. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a lovely Christian lady. She left three children; namely, Caroline S., Hattie A., and John T. Caroline married Lorenzo R. Cook, of the White Sewing Machine Company, and a proprietor of a large dry-goods store at Wallingford, Conn. Hattie A. married Charles C. Carroll, a jeweller of Wallingford, and her children are: Barbara J., Frances W., and Doris J. John T., who is residing in East Haven, Conn., married Berta L. Whitlesey, of East Haven.
In politics Mr. Jeralds is a Republican. He held the appointment of Postmaster both in Cheshire and Yalesville, and served with ability as Supervisor in Ashland for the years 1891-92. His interest in the welfare of Ashland began some forty years ago, when he first engaged in business; and during the period of his residence elsewhere his attachment to the place was unabated. He is a member of and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, but has contributed liberally to the different churches. He takes a lively interest in Sunday-school work, and rendered valuable aid in securing and furnishing the rooms of the Young Menís Christian Association. Mr. Jeralds is an Odd Fellow, and formerly belonged to the Meriden Centre Lodge, Meriden, Conn.