of the Valley
of the Hudson
River of Destiny
Published by the S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1931
Only biographies pertaining to Greene County individuals posted to this site. Contributed by Jerry Sterrit and transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
Rachel Jessie Van Vechten Vedder
Rachel Jessie (Van Vechten) Vedder, historian of the town and village of
Catskill and also for Greene county, has always lived in this part of the state
and in both the paternal and maternal lines represents old and honored families
of New York. Born in Leeds, Greene County, New York, September 29, 1859, she is
a daughter of Luke Kiersted and Nancy (Strong) Van Vechten, the former a native
of Catskill, born August 24, 1817, and the latter of Durham, Greene County, New
York, born July 17, 1818. They were married February 22, 1848, and Mrs. Nancy
Van Vechten died January 20, 1903. The Van Vechtens were originally from Vechte,
near Utrecht, Holland, and the genealogy of the family in that country dates
back to the year 1200. Dirck Van Veghten, the American progenitor of the family,
came to what was then Greenbush, New York, in 1638 in the ship “Arms of
Norway” with his wife, child and two servants.
He was the father of Dirck Teunis Van Veghten, who served as a captain
with the colonial forces in 1686 and 1689. He and his two sons, Johannes and
Teunis Jr., were at Skenesborough. Teunis became a captain in 1702 and in 1713
his commission was renewed. Another Teunis fought in the French and Indian war
of 1746, serving as first lieutenant of his company.
Samuel Van Vechten, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Vedder, was
commissioned captain by Cadwallander Colden in 1770. He was at Ticonderoga and
Fort Edward and was the bearer of important dispatches. Mrs. Vedder’s mother
came of Scotch-English ancestry and was of royal lineage on both sides of the
was descended from Richard Strong, also known as Strahn and Mc Strahn, whose son
John, born in 1605, sailed to America in the ship “Mary and John” in 1630,
and was one of the founders of the town of Dorchester, Massachusetts.
Thomas Strong, son of John and Abigail (Ford) Strong, was born in 1631
and in 1658 was a trooper at Windsor, Connecticut. His grandson, Eliakim Strong,
became a lieutenant and his son, Eliakim Strong, Jr., was also a lieutenant of
Durham, Connecticut, whence they removed to Durham, Greene County, New York, in
a son of Eliakim Strong, Jr., was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
Jessie Van Vechten pursued her education in the common schools and in Catskill
Academy and has always resided in the vicinity of Leeds.
On the 10th of January, 1884, she was married at Catskill to
Henry Fiero Vedder, a native of Leeds, New York. He was the son of Henry Mosier
and Rachel (Martin) Vedder and a descendant of Aaron Vedder, of Schoharie, New
York. Fraternally Henry F. Vedder was identified with the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. He passed away November 12, 1915, leaving a widow and two children.
Henry Martin, who married Mary Florence Blakelock and resides in Leeds;
and Mabel Nancy, now Mrs. Stewart W. Parks, of South Leeds.
Vedder has long been a faithful member of the Dutch Reformed Church and figures
prominently in political circles of this part of the state as republican
committeewoman in the district No. 7, town of Catskill. Ion 1926 she organized
On-ti-ora Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, of which she is
now the regent, and on the 7th of February 1929, she aided in forming
and incorporating the Greene County Historical Society. She has been historian
for the town and village of Catskill since 1919 and historian for Greene County
since 1922, through appointment by the board of supervisors, discharging her
duties with thoroughness and ability.
A lifelong resident of Greene county, Mrs. Vedder is well informed upon
matters pertaining to its history and has inherited the fine qualities of a long
line of worthy ancestors adding thereto the interest of her own personality.
George B. Evans
In most instances the men of prominence in the business world of today started in humble capacities, advancing through proved ability and worth, and it was as an office boy that George B. Evans made his initial step in the drug trade. Through his own exertions he has pressed steadily onward and upward until he now controls important pharmaceutical interests as president and treasurer of the McKesson-Gibson-Snow-Company, Inc., a part of one of the largest organizations of the kind in the country. His office is at 645 Broadway in the city of Albany and he resides at 130 Manning boulevard.
Mr. Evans was born in Greenville, Greene county, New York, January 4, 1877, a son of James Evans, who was a native of the same place. The grandfather, David Evans, came to this country from Scotland, settling in the southeastern part of New York state, and was numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of Greene county. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Ingals, was also a native of Scotland and both died in Greenville. Their sons, James and John Evans, were Union Soldiers and their son-in-law, Frank Cathcart, also served in the Civil war. While operating a stage route James Evans carried the mail and he also followed the occupation of farming. His religious views were in harmony with the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal Church and in politics he maintained an independent course, refusing to follow the dictates of the party leaders. He married Elizabeth Purington, daughter of Joseph B. and Ann (Wright) Purington and a native of Scotland. Both Mr. and Mrs. James Evans passed away in Greenville, New York. The are survived by six children, four sons and two daughters, namely: George B; Arthur and Frank, of Greenville, New York; Louis, who lives in Scranton, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Gover Brown, a resident of South Westerlo, New York; and Mrs. Bert Griffin, whose home is in Greenville.
George B. Evans mastered the branches of learning taught in the public schools of his native town and in his youth drove his father’s stage-coach, which carried passengers and the mail from Coxsackie to Medusa, New York. Leaving home at the age of twenty years, he came to Albany and after recovering from an operation secured a situation as office boy with the firm of Walker & Gibson, wholesale druggists. Industrious, conscientious and thoroughly dependable, he was rapidly promoted and in 1914, when this firm was consolidated with the house of C. W. Snow, of Syracuse, and the Gibson Drug Company of Rochester, under the name of Gibson-Snow-Company, Inc., he became vice president, treasurer and general sales manager of the new organization. In 1928 this concern was merged with sixty other drug houses in the United States under the corporate title of McKesson & Robbins, Inc., of Maryland, and of this corporation Mr. Evans has since been a vice president. In addition he is serving as president and treasurer of the McKeeson-Gibson-Snow Company, Inc., as treasurer and a director of the Stratton Motors Company of Albany and as treasurer and trustee of the Albany College of Pharmacy. He has an unusual capacity for detail and is a capable, farsighted and resourceful executive, dominated at all times by an accurate sense of business exigency. For thirty-four years he has concentrated his efforts upon the one line of activity and there is no phase of the drug trade with which he is not thoroughly conversant.
Mr. Evans was married July 12, 1921, in Boston Massachusetts, to Miss Katherine M. Jones, who was born in New York city but was reared in Albany, acquiring a high school education. During the World War period Mr. Evans was active in the various Liberty Loan campaigns and in the Red Cross drives. In times of peace he has manifested an equally helpful spirit and as one of the energetic members of the Chamber of Commerce he is pushing forward the wheels of progress in Albany. In the affairs of the Young Men’s Christian Association he has long taken a prominent part and for fifteen years was treasurer of the local organization. Without party bias, he closely studies the political situation and votes as his judgment dictates. Fraternally he is an Elk, identified with Albany Lodge, No. 49, and both he and his wife are prominent socially. The latter belongs to the City Club and the Lotus Club, while Mr. Evans is a member of the rotary Club, the Albany Club, the Aurania Club, the Albany Country Club and the Empire State Drug Club. In trade circles throughout the country he is well known through his connection with the New York State Pharmaceutical Association, the Vermont State Pharmaceutical Association and the National Whole-sale Druggists Association. He is a trustee of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and an earnest advocate of those measures which make for the uplift of the individual and for the benefit of the community at large.
Robert H. McCormic, who has engaged in the practice of law in Albany for many years, winning state-wide prominence in his profession, was born in this city January 30, 1870. Of distinguished lineage, he represent the seventh generation of McCormic family in America and in each generation the eldest son has borne the name of Robert. The immigrant ancestor was born in Londonderry, Ireland, of Scotch-Irish parentage, and in 1725 came to the new world in company with John Woodburn, the great-grandfather of Horace Greeley. They were among the original settlers of Londonderry, New Hampshire, and later members of the McCormic family founded the town of Londonderry, Vermont. Mr. McCormic’s great-grandfather in the paternal line was a soldier of the Revolutionary war an served under General Stark in the battle of Bennington.
The father, Robert H. McCormic, Sr., was born in Coxsackie, Greene county, New York, October 25, 1839, and as a young man he enlisted in the Union Army, winning a captaincy. After the war he engaged in the insurance business in Albany and here resided until his death. He figured prominently in the affairs of the Grand Army of the Republic, serving as assistant adjutant general in 1894, and was a member of Lew Benedict Post, No. 5, and also of L. O. Morris Post, No. 121. Fraternally he was identified with Clinton Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F., and was made noble grand of his lodge. His wife, Caroline (Van Ness) McCormic, was bone in Stuyvesant, Greene county, New York, a daughter of Isaac and Amanda Van Ness, and died August 20, 1874. Her son, Robert H. McCormic, Jr., represents the twelfth generation of the Van Ness family in this country. In the natural line he traces his ancestry to Cornelius Van Ness, who was a native of Havendyck, Holland, and came to America in 1642, settling at Greenbush, New York. The family spread rapidly and later generations settled upon tract of land in Columbia county, near Kinderhook. The family has produced many lawyers, contributing to the profession men of high legal attainments. Mr. McCormic’s great-great-grandfather, John P. Van Ness, was born in the Claverack district in 1770, studied law at Columbia University and was subsequently admitted to the bar. Elected to congress in 1801, he afterward became the mayor of Washington, D. C., and president of the Bank of the Metropolis. He had two brothers, William P. and Cornelius P Van Ness, who were also distinguished lawyers and jurists. Cornelius P. Van Ness was admitted to the bar in 1804 and later removed to Vermont. He became United States district attorney, collector of customs, assemblyman, chief justice of the supreme court of Vermont, was twice governor of that state, and served as minister plenipotentiary and envoy extraordinary to the court of Spain. William P. Van Ness was one of the leading lawyers of his time and became judge of the United States district court for the southern district of New York. He was a close friend of Aaron Burr and was chosen as one of his seconds in the famous Hamilton and Burr duel. His country home, known as "Lindenwald," was at Kinderhook and this beautiful estate he afterward sold to Martin Van Buren, who read law in his office. William P. Van Ness served with the rank of colonel in the War of 1812 and was a member of the constitutional convention in 1821. Mr. McCormic’s great-grandfather, Jesse Van Ness, served as a captain in the War of 1812. He was a prosperous farmer and owned a large tract of land lying between Castleton and Muitzeskill, in Columbia and Rensselaer counties, portions of which remained in possession of the family until quite recently.After the death of Mrs. Caroline (Van Ness) McCormic, her mother, Mrs. Amanda Van Ness, at once removed to Albany and tenderly cared for the two motherless children, Robert H. Jr., and Grace E. McCormic, the former a lad of four and the latter of two years of age at the time. When he reached the age of seven years the boy became a pupil in grammar school No. 12, from which he was graduated with honors, receiving a scholarship diploma and a certificate from the board of regents. In 1888 he completed a classical course in the Albany high school and held important offices in its Philologian Society. He spent a short time in his father’s insurance office, which he left in 1888 to become a bookkeeper for Joseph Gardner, a clothier, and when the establishment was closed he reentered his father’s business. While thus engaged he devoted his leisure hours to the reading of law books and on September 1, 1889, entered upon a regular clerkship under William A. Allen, a well known attorney who shared a suite of offices with Robert H. McCormic, Sr. On the 18th of April, 1891, Robert H. McCormic, Jr., became a minor clerk in the office of County Judge J. H. Clute and soon afterward was made managing clerk of the office. He was admitted to the bar September 15, 1892, and on April 1, 1896, shortly after retirement of Judge Clute from the bench, became his law partner, continuing as a member of the firm of Clute & McCormic until the death of the senior partner in 1902. In 1897 Mr. McCormic was elected alderman of his ward and in the same year became first assistant district attorney of Albany county, serving under John T. Cook and George Addington until 1908, when he was appointed attorney for the state comptroller. On the 1st of January, 1916, he became associated with the state legislative bill drafting commission and is now counsel for the commission. He renders to this body the services of an expert, being widely recognized as an authority on constitutional and statutory law. For over forty years he has been active in politics and has acted as counsel for the republican county committee for a quarter of a century.
Mr. McCormic was married October 31, 1894, in South Westerlo, New York, to Miss Estelle N. Lockwood, a native of that town and a daughter of Horace P. and Esther J. (Green) Lockwood, who are now deceased. Mrs. McCormic attended Greenville Academy, completing her studies in the State Normal School of Oswego, New York. Mr. McCormic belongs to the Aurania Club and is a Mason, identified with Wadsworth Lodge, No. 417, F. & A. M. he is a past grand of Clinton Lodge, No. 7, of the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows, a member of the Ojibway Tribe, No. 307, of the Improved Order of Red Men, and in the latter organization is a past grand sachem of the state. Bowling affords him relaxation and diversion during the winter season and for three years he has been commissioner of bowling in Albany. His city residence is at 285 West Lawrence street and his summer home is at Crystal Lake in the Catskills. While Mr. McCormic enjoys life, he has faithfully fulfilled its duties and obligations and ably upholds the high standards of his profession.
Gerald R. Hallenbeck
Gerald R. Hallenbeck, Catskill optometrist and owner of one of the oldest and largest jewelry houses in this part of the Hudson River valley, was born in 1907 in the community where he still resides. His father, Prentiss W. Hallenbeck, a pioneer business man of Catskill, worked in jewelry shops until he had mastered the trade and later became a watchmaker and optometrist. For twenty years he was associated with Joseph A. Hill, a well known jeweler, and, establishing himself in the old Willard store, he increased an already thriving business by methods direct and resultant. Mr. Hallenbeck remained active in control of the business until he became ill and then went to Saranac Lake, where he passed away April 6, 1929. His widow, Mrs. Mabelle A. (Darringer) Hallenbeck, then took charge of the business but died soon afterward, at which time her son, Gerald R., became head of the establishment, which is still conducted under the name of P. W. Hallenbeck & Son. The father belonged to the Catskill Chamber of Commerce and was one of its moving spirits. He was also identified with the Rotary Club, the Masonic order, the Improved Order of Red Men, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and other fraternal and social organizations.
Gerald R. Hallenbeck, an only child, was a graduate from the Catskill high school as a member of the class of 1926 and was next a student at Columbia University, from which he received his Bachelor of Science degree in optometry in 1930. In that year he became the proprietor of the Hallenbeck jewelry business, which in July, 1929, had been moved to the new location on Main street, where it occupies what is considered one to the finest stores of the kind in the town. Founded in 1802 by Horace Willard, the business has been in existence for one hundred and twenty-nine years and is one of the oldest commercial institutions in Catskill. At first jewelry, clocks, watches and silverware constituted Mr. Willard’s principal stock but in 1823 he added a line of military goods, including swords with brass, steel and leather scabbards, gold and silver lace, epaulets, white, red and black plumes, and horseman’s pocket pistols. Horace Willard’s son Charles, who succeeded him as owner of the business, added a stock of musical instruments, fishing tackle, and medicated compounds for stimulating the growth of hair. Howard Wilcox, son of Judson Wilcox, purchased the business at the death of Charles Willard in 1885, continuing it for thirty years, and the enterprise than passed into the hands of his son, Hiram. After the death of Hiram Wilcox the store and goods were purchased by Prentiss W. Hallenbeck, whose son, Gerald R. Hallenbeck, is now guiding the destiny of this pioneer jewelry house, steadfastly adhering to those high commercial standards for which it has ever stood.
In 1929 Mr. Hallenbeck was married to Miss Gertrude E. Teetsen, who also represents one of Catskill’s old and honored families. They have membership in the Dutch Reformed Church and Mr. Hallenbeck belongs to the Catskill Chamber of Commerce, the Catskill Country Club, the Rip Van Winkle Club, the Rotary Club, the Columbia Alumni Association, the Union College Alumni Association, and the Sigma Chi and Upsilon Psi Upsilon fraternities. A young man of ability and energy, he is successfully following in the business and professional footsteps of his father and his winning personality and genuine worth have established him high in the esteem of Catskill’s citizens, with whom his life has been spent.
John E. Lamouree
John E. Lamouree is a member of the well known drug firm of Paret & Lamouree, Inc., conducting successful and up-to-date drug stores in Tuxedo Park and Suffern. A native of Palenville, Greene county, New York, he was born November 2, 1885, a son of Luman and Anna (Haley) Lamouree. In the paternal line is descended from French Huguenots who settled in the United States as early as 1696. The paternal grandfather of John E. Lamouree erected a woolen mill in Palenville which he owned and operated for several years. Luman Lamouree, the father, was born in Greene county in 1858 and spent the greater part of his life within its borders as an agriculturist. In 1909 he removed from Greene county to Ulster county, locating in the township of Saugerties, where he purchased a tract of seventy acres upon which he grew fine vegetables and berries, and he made his home on the place until his death in 1926. He manifested an active interest in civic affairs and for many years served as a member of the school board. His wife, Anna (Haley) Lamouree, was born near Liberty, Sullivan county, New York, in 1854, and now resides in Saugerties, this state. Their children were six in number, the eldest being Adelaide, who graduated from the State Normal School at New Paltz and is now a teacher in the public schools of New York city. She is the widow of Owen Turtle. John E., of this review, is the second in the family. Alexander is mentioned at length on another page of this work. Emma is the wife of James H. Reilly, and attorney of Catskill, New York, and is the mother of three children. Adelbert acquired a public school education and then joined the New York National Guard. During the World war period he was in training at Spartanburg, South Carolina, and in 1917 went to France with the One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, a part of the Twenty-seventh Division. On the 18th of October, 1918, while serving in the San Quentin sector, he made the supreme sacrifice for his country, and Lamouree Post, No. 96, of the American Legion, was named in his honor. Henry A. Lamouree, who completes the family, is represented in another part of this publication.
John E. Lamouree pursued his education in the public schools of Palenville and received his professional training in the College of Pharmacy of Columbia University, from which he was graduated with the degree of Ph. G. in 1907. Since 1904, when he came to Tuxedo, he has been active in the drug trade in Tuxedo Park, where he is now associated in business with his brother, Alexander Lamouree, Frank E. Paret and Frank A. Greene under the firm style of Paret & Lamouree, Inc. The partners also conduct a drug store in Suffern.
In September, 1910, Mr. Lamouree was married to Miss Mary McCreery, daughter of Joseph and Ellen (Page) McCreery, of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Mrs. Lamouree is of Scotch-Irish lineage, and by her marriage has become the mother of three children, as follows: Anna, born in 1912, who is a junior at Cornell University; Roger A., born in 1916, who is a high school student; and Clementine, born in 1920, who is also attending school.
Mr. Lamouree is an active worker in the local ranks of the republican party, now serving as town committeeman. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the Lorillard Lodge, No. 858, F. & A. M., of Tuxedo. Of which he was master in 1921. He is also affiliated with the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Orange County Society of New York city, and for sixteen years he has been a member and treasurer of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Genial and kindly, he easily makes acquaintances and throughout his home community he has won a host of warm and loyal friends.
Alexander Lamouree, a successful pharmacist of Southeastern New York, has since 1915 been a member of the firm of Paret & Lamouree, Inc., conducting two of the finest drug stores in the state, one at Tuxedo Park and one at Suffern. He was born in Palenville, Greene county, New York, January 24, 1888, a son of Luman and Anna (Haley) Lamouree. The father, who was an agriculturist by occupation, also manifested an active interest in civic affairs and for many years served as a member of the school board. He died in 1926, being still survived by his wife, who now resides in Saugerties, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Luman Lamouree were the parents of six children, as follows: Adelaide, who is the widow of Owen Turtle and is a school teacher in New York city; John, who is engaged in the drug business in partnership with his brother Alexander; Emma, who is the wife of James Reilly and lives in Catskill, New York, with her husband and their three children; Adelbert, who was killed in action in France during the world war; Henry, who married Lillian Myer and is serving as supervisor of Saugerties, New York; and Alexander of this review.
The last named acquired a public school education and subsequently entered the College of Pharmacy of Columbia University, for which he was graduated with the degree of Ph. G. in 1910. He was employed as a druggist during the succeeding five years and then in 1915 embarked in business on his own account in association with his brother John and another partner under the firm style of Paret & Lamouree, Inc. As stated above, they have since conducted two of the finest drug stores in the state of New York, one in Tuxedo Park and one at Suffern, carrying an extensive stock of drugs and druggists’ sundries and enjoying an enviable reputation as enterprising, reliable and progressive merchants.
In December, 1921, Alexander Lamouree was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Fitzpatrick, daughter of Andrew and Hester (Green) Fitzpatrick. In the maternal line Mrs. Lamouree is descended from a family that was established in New York prior to the Revolutionary war, in which the Greens were active participants. Mr. and Mrs. Lamouree are the parents of one child, Renee H. born in 1923.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Lamouree has supported the men and measures of the republican party, believing its principles most conducive to good government. In May, 1917, he enlisted for service in the World war as a private in the Medical Corps and after twenty-one months spent in France was honorably discharged in April 1919, as a first-class sergeant. He is a member of the American Legion and fraternally is affiliated with the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and with the Masonic order, in which he belongs to Lorillard Lodge, No. 858, F. & A. M., and to the Tall Cedars of Lebanon. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while his wife is an Episcopalian. Kindly and courteous in his social relations, he has long enjoyed to marked degree the confidence and esteem of the entire community.
Austin R. Newcombe
Rapidly expanding his interest, Austin R. Newcombe became one of the large oil operators of the Hudson River Valley and achieved a measure of success which now enables him to live retired in Kingston, although he is still connected with the petroleum industry. He was born in Windham, New York, February 21, 1873, and traces his ancestry back to Captain Andrew Newcombe, who was born in the north of England in 1618. A daring navigator, he came to America in his own sailing vessel, landing in Virginia in 1672, after which he operated a ship between Boston and ports of the Old Dominion. George A. Newcombe, the father of Austin R. Newcombe, was born in Union Society, near Windham, New York, July 8, 1848, and owned a productive farm in Greene county. He augmented his income during the summer season by providing accommodations for tourists and at times had as many as seventy-five boarders. He also engaged in business and in 1891 installed the first sanitary plumbing in his district. He married Lydia A. Avery, a native of Jewett Heights, New York, and a daughter of Daniel Avery, a farmer, who journeyed from Connecticut to the Empire state in the early part of the nineteenth century. George A. and Lydia A. (Avery) Newcombe were the parents of four children: Austin R.; Gover C. and George A., Jr., both of whom died when about ten year of age; and Marie W., who was born in Windham, September 18, 1885.
Reared on the homestead, Austin R. Newcombe attended the district school of that neighborhood and also took a course in the Eastman business College. He assisted his father in the work of cultivating the farm for several years and in 1907 started out for himself, entering the oil business at Union Society. While residing in this locality he also became identified with public utility work and in 1906 installed the first electric light plant at Comeston Park, near Windham. Leaving the region of the Catskills in 1924, he located in Kingston and here engaged in the gasoline and oil business on a large scale. He opened twelve gas stations, owing these, and leased many more, while he also established tank and car stations. He operated under the style of the Newcombe Oil Company, Inc., which grew from a very small concern to a widely known corporation transacting an extensive ship cargo business. In its control Mr. Newcombe manifested executive ability of a high order and the scope and importance of his activities is indicated in the fact that in May, 1930, when he disposed of his oil interest to the Cities Service Company, he was operating one hundred and forty stations and had several hundred retail outlets for gas and oil from New Jersey to the Albany (N. Y.) district. Year by year his business expanded and he became recognized as one of the foremost independent oil men in this part of the country. He brought the first large oil tanker from Los Angeles, California, to Kingston. This boat had a capacity of seventy-five thousand barrels and before it could be brought up the Hudson river soundings had to be made from New York to Kingston. His company also owned smaller ships plying between Newburgh and Albany, these tankers having a capacity of eight thousand barrels of oil. Mr. Newcombe is an honorary member of the National petroleum Institute, vice president and a director of the State of New York National Bank. He has laid aside the burdens and cares of business life and represents the oil corporation in an advisory capacity. His time and attention are now chiefly occupied with the supervision of the Manor Lake Estate, which he purchased July 8, 1924. It was first known as the Schufelt Place, on which there was an old stone house, built before the Revolutionary war. When F. G. Schmidt, of New York city, acquired the property the original dwelling was demolished and on the site he erected a modern, pretentious home. It stands in the midst of spacious, well kept grounds and the lane which leads to the house is bordered on each side by beautiful trees which were planted more than two hundred years ago. An artificial lake adds to the attractiveness of the property and a modern dairy is operated on the estate. It embraces fifty-two acres and is one of the show places of the district.
On the 11th of February, 1908, Mr. Newcombe was married to Miss Luella Post, who was born in Catskill, New York, March 20, 1881, and traces her lineage to Jan Janson Post, whose surname, according to tradition, signified his occupation, which was that of mail carrier. Leaving his home at Harlingen, a seaport in the province of Friesland, Holland, he came to America and was numbered among the early Dutch settlers of New York. In 1679 he leased the Harlem farm of Lemens Janson and in 1684 removed to Kingston, where he spent the remainder of his life. He married Jannettie, a daughter of Francois and Jannettie (Hilderbrante) Le Seuer, and they were the parents Jan Post, who wedded Cornelia Jesselstine. Abraham Post, the next in line of descent, married Maria Schut, by whom he had a son, Peter Post, married Deborah Schoonmaker and he departed this life March 12, 1787. His son, Abraham Post was born November 3, 1769, and passed away February 22, 1848. In young manhood he married Catherine Dedrick, who was born July 9, 1780, and passed away November 12, 1857. They were the parents of seven children. Of these Amos Post, the father of Mrs. Newcombe, was born February 15, 1858, and died February 22, 1923. A versatile and resourceful man, he engaged in manufacture of soda water, was a dealer in gasoline and oil and also took contracts for drilling wells, prospering in all of his undertakings. He married Nettie Shoemaker, who was born Ashbury, near Saugerties, New York, May 25, 1860, and died November 30, 1927. She was of Dutch descent and belonged to a family that was founded in America by three brothers who came to this country during the formative period of its history. One of the brothers located in Philadelphia, another established his home in Albany and the third settled in Ulster county. Among their descendants were Peter Shoemaker, who valiantly defended the cause of American independence, fighting under General Washington, with whom he well acquainted, and was mustered out of the service April 28, 1777, as a private. On the 19th of September, 1780, he married Maria Wolf, by whom he had nine children. There were three children in the family of Amos and Nettie (Shoemaker) Post. Edison, the eldest, was born December 29, 1878, and died November 1, 1929. He engaged in the oil and garage business, also operating a cider mill. His wife, Mamie (Delmeter) Post, was born in Catskill, April 27, 1879. Henry Post, born October 4, 1883, also conducts a garage. On the 4th of October, 1905, he married Julia Clark, of Athens, New York, and Clark Amos, their only son, was born June 17, 1906. In April, 1927, he married Elizabeth M. Cummingham and their daughter, Betty Jean, was born December 8, 1927. Luella, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Amos Post, became the wife of Austin R. Newcombe, as previously stated, and they have two sons: Amos Richard, who was born May 15, 1920; and Lloyd Avery, born January 21, 1922. They are natives of Catskill and both are attending the public schools of Kingston. Mr. and Mrs. Newcombe are members of the First Dutch Reformed Church, and Mrs. Newcombe is a member of Wiltwyck chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Mr. Newcombe belongs to the Rondout Yacht Club and to the Twaalfskill Country Club. Fraternally he is a Mason, with membership in Mountain Lodge, No. 529, F. & A. M.; Mountain Chapter, R. A. M.; Rondout Commandery, K. T.; and Cyprus Temple of the Mystic Shrine of Albany. He is a worthy exemplar of the order and a self-made man whose example may well be emulated by all who aspire to a high level of accomplishment. Upon the firm foundation of integrity and honor he reared the superstructure of his success and well merits the respect that is uniformly accorded him.
Lucius H. Doty
Lucius H. Doty, an officer of the Newcombe Oil Company, Inc., and an enterprising business man of Kingston, was born in Catskill, Greene county, May 25, 1876, and is a member of one of the prominent families of New York. He traces his lineage to Edward Doty, who was a native of England and on coming to America first located in Massachusetts. Lucius Robinson Doty, one of his descendents, was born in Windham, New York, and in his youth removed to Catskill, where he opened a dry goods store. He prospered in business and retired some years before his death. He became postmaster of Catskill, occupying the office for two terms. He was named for an uncle, Hon. Lucius Robinson, who served as governor of New York. The wife of Lucius R. Doty, Mary Rebecca (Van Gelder) Doty, was a native of Greene county, New York, and of Dutch ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Lucius R. Doty were the parents of three sons: Lucius H., of this review; William, who died in infancy; and Percival G., whose home was in Catskill. There he enlisted in the army, becoming a stenographer in the aviation department, and landed in France in May, 1918. While in the service of his country he became ill with influenza and died in October, 1918.
The educational advantages enjoyed by Lucius H. Doty were afforded by the public schools and Catskill Academy, from which he was graduated in 1893. He then entered his father’s store and was associated with him in the dry goods business for several years. Interested in military affairs, he joined the Tenth Regiment, New York National Guard, at Catskill, when a young man of twenty-one and rose to the rank of first lieutenant. When the nation became involved in the World war he offered his aid to his country, was in camp in Spartanburg, S. C., and went to France with the One Hundred and Sixth Regiment. For nine months he was on active duty and was stationed on various fronts. On the 29th of September, 1919, during the attack on the Hindenburg line, he received injuries which incapacitated him for further service and was sent to a hospital in England. Following his return to the United States he was in an army hospital from February until October, 1919, when he received an honorable discharge. At an earlier period in his overseas service he was in Liverpool, England, and as assistant provost marshal, had charge of military police.
On resuming the status of civilian Mr. Doty returned to Catskill and entered the employ of the Newcombe Oil Company as a bookkeeper in their local office, which was then situated in a residence. In the spring of 1920 the company leased a suite in the Post building in Catskill, there continuing until April, 1924, when they established their headquarters in Kingston. Progressing with the business, Mr. Doty was intrusted with the responsibilities of an executive and for some years was secretary of the company. Later he was elected vice president, and when A. R. Newcombe disposed of the business in 1930 to the Cities Service Company, Mr. Doty was retained as vice president and chosen as general manager. Through experience and ability he is well qualified for these important duties and is exerting every effort to further the interests of this extensive corporation, whose operations have placed it with the foremost organizations of the kind in the country. He had made a close study of matters relative to the business and there is no phase of the oil industry with which he is not thoroughly familiar.
On the 1st of May, 1917, Mr. Doty was married in Catskill to Miss Maude E. Garling, a native of that place and a daughter of Frederick and Carrie Garling, both of Dutch ancestry. The father, who is now deceased, was long a dealer in horses and also engaged in contracting in Catskill. Mr. Doty was chosen commander of the Catskill Post of the American Legion but now belongs to Kingston Post, No. 150, and is past president of the Kingston Kiwanis Club. He served as deacon of the First Dutch Reformed Church of which both he and Mrs. Doty are members. Engrossed in his work, he has never sought political preferment but has given ample proof of his loyalty and patriotism. His has been a life of quiet devotion of duty and in the fullness of time he has reaped the rewards of honesty, industry and unfaltering purpose. Mr. Doty’s address is at 71 Linderman avenue.
Henry A. Lamouree
Since 1926 Henry A. Lamouree has been active in public affairs, first filling the office of assessor, and is now representing Saugerties on the board of county supervisors. He was born in Palenville, Greene county, New York, July 5, 1898, and is a son of Luman Lamouree, whose father there erected a woolen mill, which he owned and operated for several years. Luman Lamouree was born in Greene county in 1855 and spent the greater part of his life within its borders, operating a quarry, while during the tourist season he also conducted a boarding house. In 1909 he removed from Greene county to Ulster county, settling at Blue Mountain, in the township of Saugerties, where he purchased a tract of seventy acres. On this farm he grew fine vegetables and berries, which he sold to boarding houses and to tourists, and made his home on the place until his death in 1927. His wife, Anna (Haley) Lamouree, was born near Liberty, in Sullivan county, New York, in 1854 and they became the parents of six children. John, the eldest, obtained his public school education in Palenville and continued his studies in Columbia University, graduating from its pharmaceutical department. Subsequently he engaged in the drug business at Tuxedo and Suffern, New York, with his brother, Alexander Lamouree, and Frank E. Paret under the style of Paret & Lamouree, Inc. Fraternally he is a Mason, identified with Lorillard Lodge, F. & A. M., of Tuxedo. He married Miss Mary Mc Crerry, of Perth Amboy, New Jersey, and they have three children: Anna, a student at Cornell University, and Roger and Clementine, who are attending the public schools. Adelaide was graduated from the State Normal School of New York city. She was married to Owen Tuttle, a teacher of vocal music, who maintained a studio in eastern metropolis until his death in 1925. Alexander, a graduate of the Catskill high school and the Columbia College of Pharmacy, was attached to Base Hospital, No. 15, during the World War and served on various fronts. He is also a member of the Lorillard Lodge of Masons. He married Miss Catherine Fitzpatrick, of Tuxedo, and they have one child, Renee, who is attending school. Emma is the wife of James H. Reilly, an attorney, who is a clerk in the surrogate’s office at Catskill, and they are the parents of three children, Eileen, Cecillia and Marie. Adelbert acquired a public school education and then joined the New York National Guard. During the World war period he was in training at Spartanburg, South Carolina, and in 1917 went to France with the One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, a part of the Twenty-seventh Division. On the 18th of October, 1918, while serving in the San Quentin sector, he made the supreme sacrifice for this county, and Lamouree Post, No. 96, of the American Legion of Saugerties, was named for his honor.
Henry A. Lamouree, who completes the family, attended the grammar and high schools of Saugerties and afterward had charge of the home farm for a time. In 1917 he enlisted in the United States Navy for service in the World war and was assigned to the aviation department. After eight months of hard training at the Great Lakes camp at Great Lakes, Illinois, he was sent to the Rockaway Point air station on Long island and detailed for duty with Dirigible C-10. There he remained for eighteen months, receiving an honorable discharge at the end of that time. With his return home he again took over the management of the farm, after which he taught for two years in rural schools of West Saugerties and Manorville, Ulster county. In 1926 he was called to the office of assessor, serving until 1929. In the fall of 1929 he was elected supervisor for Saugerties for a term of two years and took office January 1, 1930. As a public servant he has labored untiringly in behalf of his town, conscientiously and efficiently performing his duties, and his work has been strongly commended.
On the 19th of September, 1924, Mr. Lamouree was married to Miss Lillian M. Myer, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Myer, who reside on a farm in the town of Saugerties. Mr. and Mrs. Lamouree are faithful members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Blue Mountain and he is president of the Saugerties Sunday School Association. For two years he served as president of the Ulster County Christian Endeavor Union, of which his wife is now secretary and treasurer. He is a member of the Saugerties Club and in Masonry he has connection with Ulster Lodge, No. 93, F. & A. M., and Catskill Chapter, No. 285, R. A. M. In the affairs of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows he has taken a prominent part, serving as deputy grand master for the Ulster district during 1926, and is a member of Catskill Mountain Lodge, No. 487, I. O. O. F., and Thomas Wiley Encampment, No. 57, of Saugerties, while his wife belongs to Queen of Rebekah Lodge, No. 36, at Saugerties. He is likewise identified with Esopus Tribe, No. 482, Improved Order of Red Men, and Junior Order of United American Mechanics at Saugerties. Mr. Lamouree is loyal to the teachings and purposes of these fraternal organizations and faithful to every cause which he expouses and to every trust repose in him, whether of a private or public nature. Genial and companionable by nature, he enjoys the social side of life, and a wide circle of steadfast friends is indicative of his personal popularity.