Number Eleven - Bagley Family - Carter Bridge - East Durham
Written by Joshua G. Borthwick and originally published
on March 20, 1880, in the Catskill "Examiner". Copy
provided by the Durham
Center Museum and retyped by Annette Campbell
In resuming these sketches, the writer wishes to express his sincere thanks
to the public generally, and to very many individuals in particular, for their
kind interest in the work; and for the assistance rendered by them. Hoping
that this may continue, we will resume our travels.
It will be remembered that our last sketch was concerning the early settlement
of Wright Street. We will now cross to the west side of the Catskill
creek. I do not know as there was a bridge at this early day---probably not.
The creek is fordable in several places; especially at a point about a mile
below the present Carter bridge, and quite likely this was a crossing for a
number of years, until Jacob Carter built the bridge which
went by his name. It was rebuilt at least twice as a wooden bridge, and in
1878 a substantial iron bridge was built by the town on it's original site,
which still goes by the name of the "Carter Bridge." This Jacob
Carter was a famous bridge-builder in his day, and finally lost his
life by falling off a bridge he was building near Mr. Isreal Brown's grist
mill. The region about East Durham was settled by about twenty families
from Cheshire and other places near New Haven, Conn., with a sprinkling of
Dutch families from the valley of the Hudson among them. Hence we find the
names of Robert, George and Samuel Hotchkiss,
John, Barnard and Thomas Bagley, Phineas, David and
Elisha Tyler, David, Francis, John, and Amos
Cleavland, William and James Evory,
Obed Hervey, Asa, Simeon and Asahel Jones, a family
of Barkleys, Joseph Adams, Col. Ezra Post, a
Mr. Boomhover and a Mr. VanLoan, Joel Lindsley,
a Mr. Ecklor, and a Mr. Howel, besides
several families who settled nearer the New Durham settlement, about which we
shall speak more particularly hereafter. The exact location of all
these families cannot now be given. They no doubt changed their places of
residence, and some of them removed to other parts of the country. The date of
settlement cannot be given, but there is no doubt in my mind about the
statement that fixes it at about the year 1784-5. Beginning at the South
side of the settlement, we find Mr. Howel located on the farm
now owned by George W. Russ, at Centreville; this was on the
West line of Barkers Patent as afterward surveyed by Deacon
David Baldwin, and just about midway between the Northern and
Southern extremes of that line. About one mile Easterly from Mr.
Howel's we find Mr. David Tyler located on a
farm now owned by J. W. Slater, on the Susquehanna Turnpike.
Following this turnpike toward East Durham, we find Joel Lindsley
occupying the place now known as Wallace's Hotel, on the
banks of the Bowery creek. Mr. Ecklor (formerly spelled
Eiklor) settled the present Ecklor place, "The
Willows." William and James Evory lived
where W. A. Sprong now lives, and the Barker
family located on the farm now owned by Rev. Aaron Rodgers.
This family was not related to "Patroon Barker" as
he was called, who was an Englishman), but they came from Connecticut at about
the time of this settlement was formed. The first Potashery was built by the Barkers
on this farm. John Bagley settled on the farm now owned
by John Moorhouse. He was the first Captain of Militia
in this part of the town. His farm was just on the line of Barkers
Patent, and a part of it was Government land and a part lease; and when Barkers'
Patent was surveyed by David Baldwin, Capt.
John held the whole of his farm by possession. Barnard
Bagley settled on the farm now owned by Abram Smith,
formerly by John Carr. John Bagley died
Aug 27, 1833, aged 74, and Olive, his wife died Oct 25, 1837,
aged 70. Barnard Bagley died Dec 16, 1838, aged 76, and Elizabeth
his wife died Jan 17, 1836, aged 67.
This John Bagley was a very energetic, enterprising man. He
built the first Grist Mill in this part of town. It was located on the Thorpe
Creek about a mile directly West of East Durham and South of the road passing Mr.
Harry Rockefeller's. Barnard Bagley became a
member of the Presbyterian Church in Durham on the 13th of Nov. 1831, while Elizabeth
his wife became a member of the same Church in 1801---thirty years
before. He died in the house now occupied by Amos Woodard,
leaving a nice property to his second wife and one son who still survive.
Table of Contents
Borthwick Papers Home Page
of the Towns Home Page Townships