Edward F. Tompkins
Biography courteously provided by Joyce Riedinger, Delaware County Coordinator.
EDWARD F.TOMPKINS, a very successful merchant of Union Grove, was born January 8, 1867, son of Daniel and Sarah (Turner) Tompkins. His paternal grandfather, a farmer, married Elizabeth Post, and had a family of seven children--- Daniel, John, Charles, Robert, Mary, Esther, and Libbie.
Daniel Tompkins was born at Roxbury, where he was educated and grew to manhood. When quite young, he commenced working at lumbering and to some extent in the tannery business. In 1862 he enlisted at Delhi in the Fourth New York Cavalry, and served throughout the war. While carrying dispatches, he was taken prisoner, and held for nine months. After his release, he met and married Sarah E. Turner, whose father was a large planter, of Portsmouth, Virginia. At the close of the was he returned North, buying a farm of one hundred and fifty acres in Canada Hollow, in Middletown, about six miles from Margarettville. Here he was very successful in his farming career. He and his wife became the parents of the following children: Edward F., the subject of this sketch; Margaret, who married W.C. Sanford, of New Kingston; Susan, who now lives at New Kingston; Charles, a farmer at Margarettville; Frona, who resides in Stamford; Chauncy, who resides at New Kingston; and Edna, whose home is also at New Kingston. Daniel Tompkins sold his farm, and removed to Arena, Delaware County, where his wife died October 31, 1887. He has since lived with his son Edward. He is a Republican and an active worker in politics, being also very liberal in religious views.
Edward F. Tompkins was educated at Jacksonburg, but when quite young commenced to work on a farm. At the age of eighteen he became a clerk in the store of D.A. Fletcher, in whose employ he remained for five years. HE then came to Union Grove, buying a store from Mrs. F.B. Mason, on the corner of River and Bakerboom Streets. He here carries a complete line of general merchandise, is always obliging and courteous to his customers, and has a very large patronage.
The wife of Mr. Tompkins is Flora, daughter of Warren and Elizabeth (Brower) Weaver. Peter Weaver, the grandfather of Warren was born in Dutchess County, and came to Delaware County, settling in what is now known as Weaver Hollow, where he owned a large farm. He married Sarah Phenix, by whom he had ten children. His son William, the father of Warren, was born on the old homestead, and was educated in the common schools. He married Eva Austin, and had four children: Warren, Angelina, Ira and Sarah. William Weaver bought a part of the old homestead, and lived there till his wife died. He then married Mary Travis, and went into a hotel at Lumberville, now called Arena, where he resided several years, and afterward bought a farm in Prattsville, but on account of his wife's ill health removed to the village of Durham, Greene County. In 1885 he came back to Delaware, and has lived with his son Warren. His second wife died in 1894. He is a Republican, and an esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal church. At the age of twenty-one, Warren Weaver, the father of Mrs. Tompkins, bought one hundred and fifty acres of land on the Delaware River, where his sister, Angelina, kept house for him for a few years. In 1866 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Louis and Mary Brower, and they have two children now living: Flora, who married the subject of this sketch; and Alma, who is at home with her parents. A daughter, now deceased was named Olive. In 1887 Mr. Weaver bought an adjoining upland farm, removed there, and now makes that place his home, while he still owns the farm on the Delaware.