Contributed by email@example.com
Scan of the page with William and Elizabeth Mackey's Hair.
One of the wreaths was hair that belonged to Ruth Mackey - she
and her husband, Abram Felter, are buried in Greeneville Cemetery. The
booklet belonged to her sister, Emily.
Emily Mackeyís Hair Book (b. 6 May 1813; d. 28 April 1900; m.
George Turner). The booklet was hand-stitched together from sheets of
paper, folded down the middle and stitched by hand.
Note: All of the hair locks were braided into wreaths and tied with a ribbon.
All of them are a medium to dark brown unless otherwise noted. A number of
Mackeyís origins are in Greene County (Athens, Cairo, Greeneville, Coxsackie)
- Mr William H. Mackeyís Hair My Father: It is true this flickering
pulse may cease, This frame sink down before me; Then may thine eyes be
closed in peace, but thou wilt níer be forgotten by me (note: Will of Wm.
H. Mackey, executed by Orrin Mackey and Abram Felter, was contested by his
daughter, Sally Ann Mackey Ten Eyck Ė all three of the Mackeys have hair
wreaths in this book, as does Abramís wife) [b. 1786; d. 1864]
- Mrs Elizabeth Mackeyís Hair My Mother: That almighty power above
Ė has ordered with the kindest care Ė That an untiring motherís love
Ė shall all our wants, our sorrows share. [b. 1796; d 1864]
- Miss Sally Kelseyís Hair My Grandmother (white locks)
- Miss Sally Ann Ten Eyckís Hair My Sister (dark strawberry blond;
note: b. 2 Nov 1817)
- Miss Lovisa Mackeyís Hair My Sister Who departed this life April
the 11th, 1842 (very dark brunette) [b. 1826]
- Miss Eliza Mackeyís Hair My Sister Who Departed this life January
the 23rd, 1844 (dark strawberry blond) (b. 1822; d. 1844)
- Miss Ruth Mackeyís Hair My Sister (note: Ruth Mackey [1820-1896]
married  Abram Felter [1820-1899] and is buried in the
- Miss Elmina Mackeyís Hair (ash blond)
- Mr Charles Mackeyís Hair My Uncle who departed this life January
the 16th 1850
- Miss Lucinda Mackeyís Hair My Sister (dark brunette) (b. 1824; d.
1853; m. Peter Edwards)
- Mr Orrin Mackeyís Hair My Brother (b. 1829; d. 1894; m. 1859
- Mr Reuben Mackeyís Hair My Brother (b. 1837, d. 1895; m. 1866
- Miss Desire Holmeís Hair My Cousin (strawberry blond)
- Mr William Kelseyís Hair My Cousin (strawberry blond)
- Mrs Charlotte Bushes Hair
- Mrs Esther Boutonís Hair
- Miss Sarah M. Boutonís Hair
- Miss Charlotte Boutons Hair
- Miss Pamela Boutonís Hair (ash blond)
- Miss Adeline Smithís Hair
- Miss Harriette Tannerís Hair
- Miss Maria Boutonís Hair
- Miss Mary Ann Jones Hair (ash blond)
Miss Margaret Algeers Hair
Table of Contents