Contributed by Sandie from Wisconsin. Extracted from "History
of Marshall County, Illinois" printed in 1983 Call Number
F547 H34 H57 1983
WEBBER - BRANDOW - MITCHELL - CALDER
Early WEBBERS of Marshall County
The roots of the Webbers living in Marshall County today have been traced back to Henry Webber born Feb. 13, 1729. Although his parents and birthplace are unknown, it is assumed that he came from the Netherlands. On May 17, 1775, Henry "Wabber", as he wrote his name, signed the Coxsackie Declaration, a local patriotic statement corresponding to the Declaration of Independence. He served in Capt. James Waldron's Co., 11th Regiment of the Albany County Militia during the Revolutionary War. The Webbers resided in Coxsackie, Green County, NY. Henry's wife, Elizabeth (BRANDOW) appears on the 1799 register of the Catskill Reformed Dutch Church as a widow. Two sons and five daughters were born to Henry and Elizabeth Webber. The eldest son, John, Married Lucy MITCHELL on September 16, 1789. Soon after their marriage they moved to the western portion of Coxsackie Township, now
referred to as Gay Head. Six sons and four daughters were born to them. One of the middle sons, Robert, married Harriet PITTS and practiced as a physician in New York. They were the parents of five sons: Lorenzo, William, Milton, Alanson and Addison Porter. In 1852 Alanson and A. Porter left Gay Head and came to Marshall County. Two years later their parents and brothers followed along with the Joseph and James CALDER families. They settled near Lawn Ridge, Illinois. Dr. Webber practiced medicine until his death in 1857. He and his wife are buried in Lawn Ridge Cemetery. Lorenzo, the eldest, was born in NY Jan. 10, 1823. He and his wife Phoebe are buried in the Lawn Ridge Cemetery with his parents and a son Loren V.
According to the 1860 census, he was a farmer living in La Prairie Township with a second wife and four sons. William Webber was born Dec. 15, 1824. He was also listed as a farmer in the 1860 census having a wife and two daughters. In 1888 William and his wife Clara left Illinois for Kansas. Milton Webber, born Aug. 16, 1826, purchased the SW 1/4 of Section 15 in La Prairie Township in 1854. In 1876 he married Anna Marie SMITH of Lawn Ridge. The following year they moved to Aurora, IL. In 1884 Milton, Anna and sons Bernard and Homer returned to Marshall County at Wenona where he died in 1905. In the 1870 census he is listed as a physician. Alanson and A. Porter are the ancestors of Webbers presently living in
Marshall Co. Alanson married Marion CALDER Feb. 13, 1850 and A. Porter married (Rachel) Naomi CALDER Dec. 28, 1858. The Calder sisters were the daughters of Joseph CALDER and Sarah DEDERICK who had been close friends with the Webbers in Greene Co. NY.
Alanson purchased a 160 acre farm in 1855 in the NE1/4 of Section 28 of Saratoga Township. There he resided until his death July 27, 1902. During the Civil War he left the farm in the hands of his wife and her brother James to serve as a musician in the 86th Illinois Infantry. During action at Kenesaw Mountain, Georgia on June 27, 1864 he voluntarily helped to repulse an enemy charge with his rapid firing rifle. For that action he was awarded the Medal
of Honor on June 22, 1896. After the war he returned to his family and farm. He served as postmaster of the Saratoga Post Office from August 27, 1878 to September 4, 1884. He was a
member of the La Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church, in the Whitefield circuit and was active in the establishment of the Saratoga Methodist Episcopal Church in which he served in various capacities. The 1873 Marshall Co. platbook records Alanson as the inventor and proprietor of the revolving plow fender. Alanson and Marion had five children: Newton, Miranda Clara (Mrs. Owen DOYLE), Orie (Mrs. Robert KELLEY), Myra (Mrs. Clarence WATT) and Allie.
Descendants of Miranda and Orie reside in Marshall Co. today. (See John and Wilma Doyle entry). Although his farm in Section 28 is no longer held by Alanson's descendants, those that Miranda and Orie own and farm other parts of Saratoga Township. Submitted by Gary Webber.
A. PORTER AND NAOMI WEBBER
A. Porter arrived in Marshall Co. in 1852. (See entry Early Webbers of Marshall Co). He married Naomi CALDER in 1858. Until 1867 they lived in Valley Township, Stark Co: then Mr. Webber purchased 100 acres in the SW 1/4 of Section 14 of La Prairie Township. He continued to farm for 40 years during which time he acquired additional property. After his marriage he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at La Prairie and was active as a trustee, steward, class leader, and Sunday School teacher. He was affectionately known as "Uncle Porter." He took an active role in the temperance movement and supported the Prohibition Party. He was
president of the Blue Ribbon Movement in the vicinity for some time. A. Porter and Naomi were the parents of six children: Alice (Mrs. Lewis WOOD), Mabel La Veta, Alma (Mrs. J. Webster GREENE), Lulu, Maude (Mrs. Linus ROOT) and Herman Isaac. The only son Herman attended Sparland High School and the Illinois Normal School at Dixon. On Sept. 24, 1895 he married Anna COLLINS, daughter of Patrick and Margaret MONIER Collins. (See entries under Collins and Monier.) Herman continued to farm his father's land and acquired
another 300 acres in Sections 14 and 23 of La Prairie Township before his death in 1953. The Webber farming tradition continues today in the descendants of Robert and Carl Webber, sons of Herman. The Webbers had nine children: Margaret, Robert C., Lawrence H., Wilford E.,
Florence N. (Mrs. Ernest SUMMITT), Carl P., Claude M., Alma B. (Mrs. Glen GRAVES), and Ralph J. The family attended the La Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church as the previous generation. Herman was instrumental in improvements to the church, namely the donation of an organ in a memorial to their daughter, Margaret, a victim of the Flu epidemic of 1918. Herman and Anna are buried in the La Prairie Methodist Cemetery with their parents. Today the church is a private residence but its cemetery, located further north, is still maintained by former members. Herman and Anna's fourth son, Carl Porter, was born July 22, 1907. On. Oct
20, 1928, he married Mary Jeanette GRAVES. (See Z.R. Graves entry). They are the parents of three children: Richard L., of La Prairie Township; Carolyn A. (Mrs. Gerald HOSKINS), of Steuben Township; and Gary G. of Lacon. Carl worked for Caterpillar Tractor Co. 17 years before he proceeded to farm. He farmed until 1965 part of what had been his father's. His son Richard now farms this land. Carl died June 30, 1982 and is buried with his parents, grandparents, a sister and two brothers. Carl and Mary's youngest son, Gary, graduated from Sparland High School and the University of Illinois. In 1965 he married Kathryn C. WIEDUWILT of Edwardsville. He has worked for Central Illinois Light Co. since 1965. they
are the parents of four children: Gary Jr., Andrew James, Mary Louise, students in Mid-County Jr.-Sr. High School and Elizabeth Anna. The family are members of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church of Lacon. Submitted by Gary Webber
Home Table of Contents Migrations Home Page