History of Greene County
1651 – 1800
J. Van Vechten Vedder
Originally published in 1927 by Authority of
the Greene County Board of Supervisors
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
Town of Hunter
(Information obtained from Catskill Mountain Reflector.)
Jan. 8, 1926, fire at Haines Falls destroyed much
property at the coal and lumber yard of W. I. Hallenbeck, and the drug store and
residence of John W. Rusk.
The snow fall in Tannersville Feb. 3d and 4th
was the heaviest of the winter, with high winds and drifts. The main roads were
opened in record time, and by working throughout Thursday night all roads in the
town were open by Saturday afternoon.
At Beaches Corners March 12th Richard Merwin
suffered a broken leg when his oxen ran away in the woods.
In March the bungalow of Miss Miriam E. Lester, outside of Tannersville, was burned.
Hunter Creamery was destroyed by fire May 31st, with loss estimated $35,000. The owner was L. B. Samuels of New York city, and the creamery had been in operation for about twenty-five years.
Early on Wednesday morning, July 14th, fire broke out in Twilight Inn at Haines Falls, and proved the worst fire tragedy Greene County had ever had, resulting in the death of twenty-two persons. In the cemetery of that place, near the Methodist Episcopal church, rest the personally unidentified bodies of fourteen victims, over which a shaft will be erected and their names inscribed upon it. The burial was an impressive scene, witnessed by a large number of sorrowing relatives and citizens, and in which those of the Lutheran, Methodist. Episcopal and Catholic clergy participated. Twenty members of Tannersville fire department, who had fought valiantly to save life and property, were pall-bearers.
In September the Police Commissioner of New York city, in company with four hundred members of the Police Department and their families, dedicated the new $500,000 Indian Head Hotel, chief unit of the police recreation camp at Platte Clove.
On the occasion of the worst flood Greene County has ever known (Nov. 16th). “At the northwesterly end of the main street in Tannersville, the water rose to so great a height that automobiles were forced to travel through the west road to Elka Park, in order to gain a single block of Main street. The first floor of the Reflector Publishing Plant was completely inundated, and at 4 o’clock the entire staff of employees waded about ankle-deep and made their exit through a rear window; the greatest distance of any of the employees’ residence is not more than two-thirds of a mile, and still they were compelled to travel from four to six miles to reach their homes.” The first floor of other stores and residences were inundated and filled with debris, and required sweeping, scrubbing and even shoveling when the water subsided. Through Kaaterskill Clove the road was torn away in places and otherwise made impassable, necessitating the use of the Catskill and East Windham roads to Tannersville.
Christopher A. Martin, former Supervisor of Hunter and proprietor of the Loxhurst at Haines Falls since 1899, died May 13, 1925, at the age of sixty-three years.
Mr. Martin was a native of the town of Hunter and highly esteemed throughout that section. Always allied with the Democratic party, he was Supervisor for that town in 1922-23. He was an active member of Mt. Tabor Lodge, F. & A. M., and of various other lodges at Windham and Tannersville.
He is survived by his widow and one daughter, Mrs. Henry Myer of Haines Falls. He was laid at rest in the Haines family cemetery.
Tannersville celebrated Independence Day by a parade of firemen, Girl Scouts, N. Y. City Board of Water Supply Police, and officers of the village, headed by the Community Band of Catskill. This was attended by a large crowd of people, and in the afternoon a ball game between Westkill team and Tannersville Juniors was played, the local team being defeated. At 1 o’clock a band concert was given in the village square. Then came another ball game between Southern Bells of Catskill and the big team of Tannersville, the latter again going down to defeat. In the evening there was a fine display of fireworks. The village was filled with tourists and traffic was very heavy.
(From Catskill Mountain Reflector, Tannersville)
Mr. Charles Voss, one of the most widely known and highly respected residents of this village and Greene county, died at his home on Friday morning, Feb. 18, 1927, at the age of seventy-eight years.
For many years Mr. Voss was a prominent figure in business and political activities of the county. He took a great interest in public affairs and was always ready to give his aid to any project that was a betterment to this community or for this county. He was behind the movement to have the Clove Road converted into a state highway, a plan for which he worked unceasingly until it was consummated.
The deceased was a lifelong Republican and for many years was closely identified with his party. He held several offices, among them being President of this village and Supervisor for the town of Hunter for two terms. In the year 1904 Mr. Voss was appointed postmaster, a position he held for eighteen consecutive years.
Mr. Voss was born in Holstein, Germany, February 14, 1849. His ancestors, however, were from Holland. When a young man he came to America, and forty-two years ago he settled in this village, where he has since resided.
The funeral took place on Monday afternoon at the Methodist Church, the Rev. John K. Benedict officiating. The burial was in the Fair Lawn Cemetery, Prattsville. The Mt. Tabor Lodge, F. & A. M., of Hunter attended the funeral in a body, and the Masons’ burial services were held in the church. The pall-bearers were from the Kingston Lodge. The large crowd attending the funeral, and beautiful floral offerings were evidence of the esteem in which the deceased was held.
Rev. John K. Benedict in his few brief remarks used the
words of Emerson, “What you speaks so loudly I can not hear what you say.”
No more fitting words could be used in the life of the deceased.
The immediate survivors are his wife, who was formerly
Miss Jane E. Haner of Prattsville; one son, Ralph Voss, and two daughters, Mrs.
Oliver Perry and Mrs. Edward Smith, all of this village.
Romaine A. Butts
Romaine A. Butts, former Supervisor of the town of
Jewett, died suddenly on Thursday morning, July 15, 1925, at his home in
Hensonville. Mr. Butts was a native of the town of Jewett, having been born
there October 29, 1845. His father, Justus Butts, was one of the original
settlers of that part of the county. On October 30, 1867, he married Lizzie S.
Barkley, who died in 1911.
Mr. Butts served the town of Jewett as Supervisor for two
terms, and while a resident of Hensonville was Assessor for the town of Windham
for twelve years, his term ending with the close of 1925.
He was also a member of the Farm Bureau and of the Official Board of the
Hensonville M. E. church.
It is said of Mr. Betts that “he was a natural trader
and lover of horses, a trait well evidenced by his splendid team,” and also
that “his is a record of a life well spent, and further comment could not add
thereto, but would rather detract.”
Town of Lexington
A reunion of the descendants of Peter H. Miller and his
wife Hannah was held at Lexington Sept. 4th. One hundred and five
descendants were present.
In December Norman Deyo of Westkill was fatally injured
while riding down hill, by an automobile driven by Harry Dunham of Westkill.
This sad accident was unavoidable on the part of Dunham.
During the freshet of Nov. 16th the Schoharie kill was the highest within the memory of the oldest inhabitant. Main street was covered with water and eight families were obliged to move out, while horses and cattle were removed to safer places. Chicken-houses and other farm buildings went down stream, while others were kept from following by being anchored to trees. In the general cash store in the village the water rose until it ran over the counters. Nearly every bridge between Westkill and Spruceton was swept away, and the roads beyond description.
Later the Supervisors voted $10,000 for the improvement of Lexington town roads.
On July 16th more than 250 women attended the Women’s Democratic Club picnic, held on Mrs. George Van Valkenburgh’s lawn.
Edwin L. Ford, M. D.
Dr. Edwin L. Ford, one of the oldest and best loved among the older generation of physicians in Greene County, died Saturday afternoon, March 19, 1927, at his home in Lexington. For fully half a century he ministered to the countryside, always greeting his patients with a smile and a pleasant word.
His daughter, Mrs. Frederick J. Zinck, wife of the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Lexington, and her three children are the only near relatives surviving Dr. Ford, but he is mourned by a host of friends throughout the mountains. Funeral services were held on Wednesday at the Baptist Church, Rev. George Rustin of Halcottville officiating, assisted by Rev. Ward Howlett, pastor of the church.
Dr. Ford was a son of David and Abigail Faulkner Ford and was born Oct. 13, 1842, on the farm where he always resided and which has been in the Ford family for over one hundred and twenty-five years.
When the Civil War broke our he enlisted as a private in
Col. F., 120th Regiment New York Volunteers, and served in the
principal battles of the war. He
was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg and after recovering was taken prisoner
at Mine Run, being held in Libby, Andersonville and other southern prisons.
Nearly a year later he was returned to the northern forces in a exchange
of prisoner. After receiving his
honorable discharge he returned to his home.
In the fall of 1866 he entered the Albany Medical College, from which he
graduated Dec. 22d, 1868. In 1872 he married his first wife, Frances Cox,
daughter of Rev. Leonard Cox, a Baptist minister and once a resident of
Lexington; she died at the age of forty. In 1887 he married Annie L. Dunham, and
of this union there were two children, Mrs. Zinck, who survives and Edwin, who
died in 1906.
Fire destroyed Edwin Vanderpoel’s garage and bungalow on Jan. 5th.
Four prize awards on five exhibits of eggs were awarded Francis W. Wardle during Farmer’s Week at Cornell.
New Baltimore was one of the towns which reached her quota of membership in the Farm Bureau.
At the State Firemen’s home on April 2d John Bortal of New Baltimore passed away. He was a member of Cornell Hook & Ladder Company of that village. He was seventy-eight years old.
Explosion of an oil heater in the laundry room of Miss Bertha Wade’s residence May 22nd caused fire which did considerable damage, but house was saved by the quick work of the firemen.
In September ground was broken for Echo Grange Community Hall by County Clerk Floyd E. Jones turning the first spadeful of earth.
Harry Omrisk and Thomas Williams were drowned in the river near New Baltimore June 15th.
June 22nd, W. D. Hull, principal of Dist. No. 10, committed suicide, owing to ill-health.
Byron Mansfield, son of Jehoikim and Maria Mansfield, a
highly respected resident of New Baltimore who spent his entire life of
seventy-five years in that village, passed on Jan. 24, 1925. He was an
instructor in New Baltimore and also in Castleton, retiring several years ago.
He was President of the Board of Education, Treasurer of the Baptist church,
Trustee of Chestnut Lawn Cemetery, and for more than twenty years Secretary of
Social Friendship Lodge. He had
also filled the office of justice of the peace. He was the last of his immediate
family, his parents and sisters dying several years since, and is survived only
by three cousins (Miss Ryder, who kept house for him; George Ryder of Albany,
and James Mansfield of New Baltimore). He will be missed in the church, the
lodge room and all walks of life, his best eulogy being such utterances as that
by the much younger man who exclaimed, “He was like a father to me.”
He was buried with Masonic honors, with interment in Chestnut Lawn Cemetery. School was closed for two days and the pupils attended his funeral in a body. A bronze tablet to his memory has been placed in the school building by the Board of Education.
Town of Prattsville
Superintendent of Highways, Harvey S. Olmstead, in January asked that the bridge over the Schoharie kill be condemned. During the summer it was wrecked by an automobile, and later a temporary bridge was built while a permanent structure was in process of building. During the flood of November 16th the temporary bridge was carried away. At the present writing (July 15th) the new bridge is nearing completion. It is 150 feet in length and runs diagonally across the stream, with deeply imbedded concrete abutments. Its roadbed is 22 feet wide and made of eight-inch concrete, and its strength is such as to meet future as well as present-day demands upon it. Its cost was about $118,000. The bridge which it replaced cost $12,000 in 1870, and the iron was hauled from Catskill by horses. The earliest bridge now remembered was a wooden lattice bridge and carried away by high water in 1869. This bridge served the people well until the coming of the automobile weakened it by increasing heavy traffic, and a year ago one of these machines put it out of business and a temporary bridge was put up until another should take its place. This lasted only about two months when the flood of 1926 swept it away, and the old bridge, having been strengthened, again became an active factor in crossing the stream. The plans for the new bridge were approved by recommendations of Supervisor Rosecrans.
The Prattsville-Ashland road has been re-surfaced by George E. Williams; a Booster club formed; the Methodist church wired for electric lights, the work under the supervision of Mrs. Elmer Hull, Claude V. White and Chester D. Conine.
Donald Osmar Rickard, aged one and one-half years, was accidentally drowned in a brook near his home on Clay Hill, July 9th.
During the storm of Nov. 16th “the tea room of Vernon Chatfield on upper Main street was threatened and only by prompt action on the part of those gathered there it would have been seriously damaged. Villagers carried the Frigidaire plant and practically everything else of value to a place of safety, and the building was chained to a large maple tree. All but one post was washed from under the building. Considerable damage was done to the barn on the Fred Hill farm on the Lexington road. He also lost a shed, stack of hay and a hog-house. Cellars were inundated, Carman’s garage flooded to the depth of twelve inches, and Edward Lutz was forced to move shingles and lumber to higher elevation.
(Taken From Windham Journal.)
Windham’s fire district was enlarged in 1926 with only two dissenting votes; $115,000 of taxable property added. The Windham Hose Co. voted to purchase and present to Windham fire district an electric fire alarm system and in May a new siren weighting 600 pounds was placed on top if the hose house by Foreman George McCoubrey and a force of men.
The Silver Lake property near East Windham was sold to T. M. St. John. It contains several hundred acres, and is being laid out in streets and sections by the purchasing company, of which Charles H. Belknap of Brooklyn is president.
Munson & Ferris of Windham purchased the store and stock of Patterson Brothers, one of the oldest concerns in Windham.
On Nov. 15th Edwin Probst, a World War veteran, was lost on South Mountain. On the 18th he was found dead by Roland E. Miles and brother of Hunter, having accidentally shot himself.
During the flood of Nov. 16th Windham residents became alarmed because of dangerously high water and storm accompanied by high wind. Cellars in stores and residences were flooded, putting out furnace fires and doing much damage. Charles Phelps lost several thousand feet of lumber. Clarence Marquoit was taken to safety by Harold Moore through waist-high water. The water was pumped from some of the cellars on Wednesday by the fire company pumper.
May 20th the Butts Hotel at East Windham burned to the ground with heavy loss to the owner.
Descendants of Miles Merwin (1623), David S. Merwin (1816) and Jan Winchell Merwin held a reunion on Independence Day at Ashokan Dam.
Osborn A. Cole
Osborn A. Cole, former Supervisor of the town of Windham, died at his late home near the village of Windham on Monday morning, November 8, 1926, aged fifty-two years.
Mr. Cole was born in North Settlement, in the town of Windham, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Cole. Form many years he conducted a boarding house which was very popular and never lacked for guests. Three years ago he developed Cole’s Glen Lake, making it a water sports resort, not only for his own guests but for the county—a far sighted, successful business venture.
He was Supervisor nearly twenty-five years ago, and again during 1924-25. At one time and for six years he was a successful Commissioner of Highways. An active democrat with hosts of friends. He as a member of the Methodist church of Windham, of Mountain Lodge, F. & A. M., Mountain Chapter, Windham, the Committee of Greene County Farm Bureau, and President of the Dairy Improvement Association.
Mr. Cole is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Tennie
West of North Settlement, and one son Millard. His funeral was largely attended
and conducted with Masonic rites.
Official List, 1926-27.
Harcourt, J. Pratt, Highland
Representative in Congress
Arthur H. Wicks, Kingston State Senator
Ellis W. Bentley, Windham Member of Assembly
William E. Thorpe, Catskill County Judge and Surrogate
James H. Reilly, Catskill Surrogate’s Clerk
Harrison I. Gardner, Greenville District Attorney
James Lewis Malcolm, Catskill County Attorney
Wendell S. Sherman, Catskill County Treasurer
Sada Haas, Catskill Deputy County Treasurer
Charles H. Arbogast, Catskill Sheriff
Andrew H. Speenburgh, Jewett Under-Sheriff
Floyd F. Jones, Cairo County Clerk
Irene Glennon, Catskill Deputy County Clerk
Sadie Durwin, Catskill Recording Clerk
Henry W. Barker, Greenville Superintendent of Poor
Harvey, S. Olmstead, Cairo Superintendent of Highways
Horace G. Baldwin, Hunter Coroner
Ichabod T. Sutton, Prattsville Coroner
William E. Brady, Athens Coroner
Mahlon H. Atkinson, Catskill Coroner
Thomas J. O’Hara, Prattsville Commissioner of Elections
Lincoln S. Hart, Catskill Commissioner of Elections
Ruth Whitcomb, Catskill Clerk Board of Elections
Thomas C. Perry, Catskill School Supervisor, First Dist.
Robert M. MacNaught, Windham School Supervisor, Second Dist.
Walter J. Decker, Hunter School Supervisor, Third Dist.
Harrold R. Every, Athens Chairman Board of Supervisors
Theron Lawrence, Jewett Clerk Board of Supervisors
James Lewis Malcolm, Catskill Referee in Bankruptcy
Pearl R. Simmons, Catskill Court Stenographer
Archie D. Clow, Catskill Sealer of Weights and Measures
Earl G. Brougham, Catskill Farm Bureau Manager
J. J. Bogan, Catskill County Veterinarian
Mary G. Rowan, Catskill County Nurse
Madge A. Morris, Catskill Child Welfare Agent
J. V. V. Vedder, Leeds County Historian
Allene R. Davis, Catskill County Librarian
Henry Van Dyke Smith, Catskill Court House Janitor
Greene Count is in the Third Judicial District, comprising of counties of Albany, Rensselaer, Columbia, Schoharie, Greene, Ulster and Sullivan.
It is in the Twenty-Ninth Senatorial District, which includes Greene, Ulster and Delaware counties.
Is in the Twenty-seventh Congressional District, made up of the counties of Greene, Ulster, Sullivan, Schoharie and Columbia.
Board of Supervisors.
Floyd L. Ives
Harrold R. Every Athens J. Frank Lackey Hunter
Herbert Bogardus Cairo Frank H. Haner Jewett
Clarence Travis Catskill Abram V. Roraback Lexington
Edward A. Webb Coxsackie Levitt C. Powell New Baltimore
William S. Borthwick Durham Frank Rosecrans Prattsville
Robert Van Houten Greenville Demont L. Chase Windham
Greene County Bar Association.
Incorporated Oct. 9, 1902.
Emory, A. Chase, President
Albert C. Bloodgood, Treasurer
Arthur M. Murphy, Vice President Jesse M. Olney, Secretary
Frank H. Osborn Clarence E. Bloodgood
Edwin C. Hallenbeck
William E. Thorpe, President
John C. Welsh,
Greene County Medical Society.
Organized in 1803; Dr. John Ely, President
Dr. Norman S. Cooper, President
Dr. William M. Rapp, Secretary
Organized in 1819; John Bagley of Durham, President.
The first annual “Fair and Cattle Show” was held at Cairo Nov. 2, 1819. The animals were exhibited in a field of Daniel Sayre, and articles of domestic manufacture, vegetables and fruit were displayed in an unoccupied store. The Society assembled at Osborn’s tavern for dinner, their hats adorned with heads of wheat and a green ribbon. The dinner cost them 31c. each.
The first year’s expense was $193.50; balance in the treasury in 1820, $126.12 ½.
Dr. L. L. Parker, President
George W. Squires, Secretary
Herbert Bogardus, Superintendent
Organized 1917 with
C. W. Gilbert, Manager
George M. White, President
Francis Wardle, Secretary Oliver Palmer, Treasurer
Charles Peck, President
Earl G. Brougham, Manager
Sheep Breeders’ Association
W. A. Finch, President
William S. Borthwick, Secretary
Guernsey Breeders’ Association
Floyd Miller, President
Jersey Breeders’ Association
Clarence H. Jennings, President
Henry R. Ingalls, Sec’y-Treas.
Fish and Game Club
Michael Cimorelli, Secretary
Charles Thorpe, President
Roy H. Freer, Secretary
Letter Carriers’ Association
Herbert Antus, President
Myron B. Van Schaack, Secretary
Committee for the Blind
Wendell S. Sherman, Chairman
Miss Ruth Hall, Secretary
Red Cross Society
J. Lewis Malcolm, President
Mrs. J. Lewis Malcolm, Secretary
J. Lewis Malcolm, President
Mrs. Champlin Clarke, Secretary
George W. Irwin, President
Miss Georgina Jackson, Secretary
Loren J. Hubbard, Agent
Board of Child Welfare
Harvey S. Scutt, Chairman
Percy W. Decker, Secretary
State Charities Aid Association
Morris, County Agent
Democratic Women’s Club
Miss Ruth Hall, President Mrs. Clifford B. Dykeman, Secretary
League of Women Voters
Mrs. Norman Cooper, District Leader
Mrs. Lauren Crook Secretary
Home for Aged Women
Mrs. James P. Philip, President
Mrs. C. Allen Hayden, Secretary
Greene County Horticultural Society
Organized Jan. 21, 1926
A. D. Gibson, President Thos. J. Riley, Secretary-Treasurer
Directors for One Year
George H. Hallenbeck, Athens Harvey Col, Cairo
Directors at Large
Charles Post, Catskill
William Albright, New Baltimore
Hiram Palmer, Catskill H. E. Utter, Durham
Otto Hille, Coxsackie O. P. Carey, New Baltimore
P. W. Stevens, Greenville
Greene County Federal Farm Loan Association
Organized June 25, 1926
W. M. Van Hoesen, Athens, President
A. Steele, Windham, Sec.
Greene County Bible Society
Rev. Andrew Hansen, President
Rev. Geo. W. Rockwell, Secretary
Miss Anna Gonnermann, Solicitor of Funds
Greene County Sunday School Association
Chas. F. Robson, President
Mrs. R. W. Plusch, Secretary
George Seward (Coxsackie), Treasurer
Greene County Ex-Supervisors Association
Established 1921 with 122 members, 17 of whom had died.
Edward A. Webb, President W. S. Borthwick, Secretary-Treasurer
Daily Improvement Association
Organized at Windham, March 29, 1926.
Osborn A. Cole, President
Raymond Meddaugh, Vice-President
Greene County Pomona Grange
George D. Hall, W. M.
Ralph Latta, Secretary
Catskill Mountain Electric League.
Harold N. Warden, President
Lester A. Minkler, Secretary
Greene County Boy Scouts
Athens, Troop 1
Edward Kisselberg, Scout Master
Cairo, Troop 1 Rev. Harl E. Hood, Scout Master
Catskill, Troop 1 C. Lauren Crook, Scout Master
2 H. C. Cowen, Scout Master
3 George F. Parks, Scout Master
4 Joseph Della Morte, Scout Master
5 John Cummings, Scout Master
Cementon, Troop 8 Horace Cross, Acting Scout Master
Coxsackie, Troop 1 Rev. Jerrold Potts, Scout Master
Greenville, Troop 1 Gerald Goff, Scout Master
Hunter, Troop 1 Lorenzo D. Edwards, Scout Master
Leeds, Troop 1 Otto Daucher, Scout Master
Prattsville, Troop 1 B. B. Blakeslee, Scout Master
Tannersville, Troop 1 George Woodworth, Scout Master
Windham, Troop 1 Rev. George F. Wells, Scout Master
The Columbia-Greene Council was chartered in 1924 with John MacLauren president. Greene County Council was chartered January 1, 1927, with J. Frank Lackey, president. Scout Camp Half Moon is one and a half miles from Cairo on Freehold road.
Greene County American Legion
Levitt Powell, New Baltimore, County Commander
Catskill-Palenville, No. 8231, calls for 8.25 miles beginning at village line on West Bridge street and connecting with state road leading from Saugerties to Palenville. To be concrete highway; Garrison Contracting Corporation of New York. Figures of contract, $471,482.50. (See Supervisor’s Report,* (* All references are to 1925 Supervisors’ Report) with map reference, pages 45 and 46)
Cooksburg-Greenville (See Supervisors’ Report, with map reference, page 55)
Greenville-Dormansville, No. 2858 (page 53, with map ref.)
Tannersville-Haines Falls ( page 41)
Coxsackie-Ravena (page 54)
Coxsackie-Ravena part 2 (pages 15-16)
Palenville-Saugerties (pages 15-16)
Catskill-Cairo, to be built in 1927 (9.19 miles) by Troy Paving Company.
Westkill-Spruceton, to be built 1927 (5 miles)
Town of Ashland
Census 1920, population 560
Census 1925, population 596
Floyd L. Ives
Supervisor Charles Tompkins
Arthur C. Lee Town Clerk Sanford Tompkins Assessor
Claude Tompkins Justice Peace Hugh Lee Overseer of Poor
Irving Tuttle Justice Peace Dwight Tuttle School Director
Melvin Wier Justice Peace Floyd Ives School Director
Frank Griffin Justice Peace Alvah Tuttle Constable
William Griffin Highway Supt. Lewis Case Constable
Ernest Patridge Assessor Claude Sutton Constable
One election district in the town, with polling place in
building used as Town Hall. No voting machines are used.
Ashland (Fourth Class) Francis L. Dodge, Postmaster
No. R. F. D. Routes
Mail carried form Ashland to Hunter; William Winter,
Prattsville-Cairo stage stops at Ashland; Chares Alle, owner
Co-Partner Dairy Corporation, Ashland, N. Y.
Organized for the manufacture of dairy products.
Co-Partner Dairy Corporation, Ashland, N. Y.
George A. Cobb,
Hugh Lee, Secretary
James A. Campbell, Treasurer
Ashland Community Club
Roy Cornell, President Frank Munson, Secretary-Treasurer
This club was organized Feb. 9, 1926, and now has (Feb.
9, 18279) seventy-nine paid members. Its purpose is to secure fire protection
for the town.
Church erected before 1799, and stood on present site of
Ashland cemetery. Its first pastor (1802-1806), was Henry B. Stimson.
Timothy Hubbard Elijah Strong Jarius Munson
Present church built 1842. Present pastor, Rev. John Entwistle.
Organized by Rev. (afterward Bishop) Philander Chase, May 11, 1799. First rector, Rev. Joseph Perry (1803-1817). First church built 1814. Present church built 1879. Present Rector, Rev. Pierre McD. Bleeker.
Ebenezer Osborn Eli Osborn John Tuttle
Benjamin Johnson Samuel Goodsell Eliphalet Wheeler
Almond Munson Amasa Tuttle Orange Munson
Jehiel Tuttle Jabez Barlow Samuel Merwin
Constant Andrews Justin Coe Daniel Merwin
Enos Baldwin Samuel Wolcott Ebenezer Johnson
Elisha Stanley Samuel Chatfield William Tuttle
1841, church built in 1842, first pastor, Rev. S. Lakin
Present pastor, Rev. Ralph S. Thorne
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic
No regular service
Church built about 1826, now a Windham charge.
No regular service.
Civil War Veterans
World War veterans not listed on Honor Roll at Catskill:
John Cleveland Riley Waterman John Zegel
Harry Titsworth and Raymond Rivenburg came to Ashland after war.
Town of Athens
Census 1920, population 2, 361
Census 1925, population 2, 505
Harrold R. Every
Emory E. Allen Collector
William J. Clark Town Clerk Charles Starke Overseer Poor
W. F. Hitchcock Justice Peace Fred Bock Overseer Poor
Peter Van Valkenburgh Justice Peace Robert Hosford Constable
J. K. Van Woert Justice Peace Charles Hitchcock Constable
Orin Q. Flint Justice Peace George Scott Constable
Wicks B. Spoor Assessor Lawrence Ford Constable
Willis Brandow Assessor Abram Post Auditor
Sylvanus H. Cooper Assessor Gardiner Clawson Auditor
Isabell Rainey School Director David F. Whiting Auditor
Luella Bard School Director
Places of General Election.
Dist No. 1---Village Building rooms of Wm. H. Morton
Dist. No. 2---Methodist Society Hall, Lime street.
Dist. No. 3---Village Building, rooms of W. C. Brady Hook & Ladder Co.
Voting machines used since 1901.
Athens (Third Class )
Clare Masten, Postmaster
Terminal, Athens Russel Page, Carrier
Vosenkill Road, Spoonburgh Road, Kings Highway, Athens-Coxsackie Turnpike, Schoharie Road and Leeds Road.
O. Gates Porter
Wm. H. Jamieson Trustee Edward Slattery Street Com’r
Thomas Lampman Sr Trustee Charles Hitchcock Police Chief
Wm. T. Van Loan Trustee William Boyles Constable
Garret S. Dollar Trustee George Scott Constable
Frank Nichols Treasurer Robert Hosford Constable
Claud B. Whiting Clerk
One election district in village. Election held in Village Building on third Tuesday in March.
Dr Noram S.
Dr. Alton B. Daley Washington Street
Dr. Edmund C. Van Dusen Franklin Street
Orin Q. Flint
O. Gates Porter Franklin Street
Clara P. V. Flint
Myrtle Hotaling Warren Street
Harriet Rainey Warren Street
Sarah Smith Washington Street
Mary Van Valkenburgh Washington Street
Bank, organized July 5, 1916.
Gates Porter, Vice-President
P. A. Carlson, Cashier
Capital Stock $25,000. Surplus, $5,000. Deposits first year $144,000.
Jacob H. Decker
Richard Lenahan William W. Rider George H. Hallenbeck
John Nichols Frank Nichols William H. Miller
Jacob H. Decker
Richard Lenahan Vice-President
John Nichols Vice-President
Samuel Appleman Cashier
Louis Kortman Teller
Isabel Van Loan Clerk
The Bank’s firs home was located in the Tremaine Building on the South-east corner of Second and Washington streets. A new Bank building was erected in 1925 on the north-east corner of Second and Washington streets.
Athens High School
John Severance, Principal
Dr. Evarts Memorial Library, erected 1907. Presented to the village of Athens by Daniel R. and Elizabeth Evarts.
Librarian, Jennie H. Van Woert.
Number of volumes, 5,535. Circulation 1926, 17,432 volumes.
No. 129, Knights of Pythias
Athens Lodge, No. 129, Knights of Pythias
Dec. 24, 1874.
Wm. E. Church
M. of A.
Edward Ashley V. C. William Dumary I. G.
Gordon W. Brady Prelate Richard M. Watson O. G.
George S. Seaman K. R. S. Albert Brown Trustee
Wm. J. Coffin M. of F. Henry True Trustee
Albert L. Whipple M. of E. George Clapper Trustee
Wm. E. Church
M. of A.
George Brady, Gordon W. Brady, Edward Ashley, Judson N. Cooper, Henry H. Van Loan, Richard M. Watson, Chas. F. M. Greene, Erastus Brady, Frank Edwards, Charles, W. Lyons, William Bogardus, Henry True, Geo. S. Seaman, Isaac H. Tice, Alvin G. Howland, Isaac Newton, Wm. C. Brady, Wm. E. Church, Rufus Watson, William Dumary, Wm. J. Coffin, Casper Brady, Albert L. Whipple.
Percy Brandow V. C. Benjamin Whiting M. F.
Norman Cooper Sr. K. R. & S.
Custer Lodge, No, 508, I. O. O. F.
Instituted March 7, 1889, and the following named officers installed by District Deputy Grand Master, F. S. Stahl and Staff from Hendrick Hudson Lodge of Catskill, N. Y.
Charles W. Roe
Grand Ezra Cooper
L. S. N. G.
John E. Palmatier Vice Grand Dr. A. H. Getty Conductor
George E. Bates Secretary Edmund Dickman Warden
George E. Gordon Treasurer M. Boyle Inside Guard
Harvey Kennedy R. S. N. G. Gustave Tertring Outside Guard
Ira Cooper L. S. N. G. W. A. Brady R. S. S.
Geo. E. Palmatier R. S. V. G. Louis Minerly L. S. S.
installation ceremonies, Past Grand George E. Mitchell of Hendrick Hudson Lodge
was called to the N. G. chair, and instructed eight candidates in the Degree.
Lawrence Palmatier Noble Grand Elmer Benn Financial
Harmon Borfitz Vice Grand William C. Brooks Treasurer
Chas. W. Hitchcock Secretary
Frances E. Willard Rebekah Lodge, No. 343, I. O. O. F.
Instituted May, 1905
Ida E. Mackey
Susie Peloubet Vice Grand Annie Fyfe Treasurer
Ida E. Mackey
Elective Officers 1926
Angeline Requa Noble Grand
Leah Clawson Vice Grand Fannie Boughton Treasurer
Florence Brown Recording Secretary
Teator-Guilfuss-Miller Post, No. 187, American Legion
Organized in 1919
Floyd Mackey Vice Commander John Ford Jr. Treasurer
Joseph Michael Vice Commander
W. Hallenbeck Vice Commander Leslie Delamater Secretary
C. Van Loan Vice Commander Floyd A. Mackey Treasurer
Soldiers and Sailors
(Died Sept. 17, 1926)
George W. Garrison (Died Jan. 28, 1926 George Spoor
Spanish War Veterans
From State Highway east to the Brick Row, Village of
Athens, by petition of tax-payers and resolution of Board of Trustees and
purchased from the American Briklath Company, price $500.00. Deed—Dated March
24, 1925. American Briklath Company.
Town of Cairo
Census 1920, population 1,487
Census 1925, population 1,816
Supervisor Frank Dorpfeld Assessor
James P. Post Town Clerk Barney Chichester Overseer Poor
N. M. Howard Justice Peace Frank Every Overseer Poor
F. C. Burnham Justice Peace Lysander Lennon School Director
Henry Chadderdon Justice Peace Wm. K. Hobart School Director
Ira D. Vail Justice Peace Peter Hood Constable
Guy E. Meddaugh Collector Benjamin Bennett Constable
Ross Ruland Highway Supt. E. W. Mangam Constable
Vernon Titus Assessor Elmer Sherman Constable
H. H. Bogardus Assessor Richard Baker Constable
No. 1, Schermerhorn’s Hall
No. 2 Masonic Hall
Voting machines first used in 1919.
Cairo, Third Class
L. P. Miller, Postmaster
Acra, Fourth Class H. Chadderdon, Postmaster
Purling, Fourth Class R. Palmatier, Postmaster
Round Top, Third Class J. M. Fiero Jr., Postmaster
South Cairo, Fourth Class J. Fiero, Postmaster
Cairo to Prattsville, Windham Road
O. E. Kelsey Potter Hollow to Cairo, Freehold Road
Elmer E. West Cairo to Catskill, Susquehanna Turnpike
Charles Vincent Cairo to Cornwallville, Durham Road
Vernon Arnold Cairo to Round Top, Purling-Round Top Road
Cairo High School, Charles D. Coutant, Principal
Ruth Isadore Baldwin
Elizabeth Canniff Anita F. Sutter Edsall J. Meddaugh
Dorothy S. Story
Ray Eugene Person, Physician
Ott Pfordte, Mining Engineer
Miles Chadderdon, Attorney
First National Bank of Cairo
Organized October 16, 1924
Ira T. Tolley
Norman N. Howard William H. Freese
Elliott A. Jones John Cryer Barney W. Freleigh
Herbert Bogardus Roscoe C. Lacy S. E. Cozine Jr.
Harvey S. Olmsted Lysander Lennon Charles H. Phelps
Harry C. Emens
Capital stock, $25,000; Surplus $5,000; Resources, $264,209.18.
Calvary Episcopal Church
Established August, 13, 1832
Eli Brooks and George Wickes, Wardens
Ira T. Day
Henry E. Hotchkiss
Amasa Mattoon Hiram Hine Harlow Hine
William C. Howell John Lennon
In 1924 the Rev. Culver B. Alford was appointed as rector, remaining until June 1, 1926, and resigning to become chaplain of the Actor Guild, in the Church of the Transfiguration, better known as the “Little Church Around the Corner,” located on 29th Street, New York City.
Present pastor, Rev. Harl E. Hood
Was first organized at Acra but moved to Cairo and established there May 1, 1899. The first business meeting was held in the “Meeting House” August 27, 1808. The early records and papers of the church were burned in the house of Daniel Sayre, Jan. 28, 1808. At this first meeting Abner Benedict was moderator and Daniel Sayre clerk. David Reed and Daniel Sayre were among the first deacons.
Rev. Andrew Imrie
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Society began in 1815 in the house of Mrs. Sally Stevens. The first “Meeting House” was built on land donated by Benjamin Hine, the building still standing on Bross street. The first regularly appointed minister was Rev. J. Ham in 1851.
Present church property built in 1866.
Rev. M. S. Ryan,
Sandy Plains Methodist Episcopal Church
This society was organized very early in the settlement
of the town. One of the first places where services were held was at the house
of Henry Weeks (or Wickes) on Indian Ridge, the circuit rider coming around
every four weeks. John Pine was the
second class leader. The first church was built in 1837.
Charles Grose, pastor
Wm. G. Wolcott
David Dunham Orlando Hopson Frederick Salisbury
S. W. R. Showers Platt Pine
Hawkshurst, pastor 1866-68
The second and present church stands near the north end
of South Cairo bridge, and is now a part of the Cairo charge.
The present church was built in 1905.
Round Top Methodist Church
This church was founded in 1838, by the following trustees: Peter Fiero, Samuel Jones, Harvey Stoddard, John Remsen (owner of the grove) and others
Present pastor, Rev. Samuel A. McCormick
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
Francis a Kelly
Organized in 1924
Richard A. Austin,
William Freese, Vice-President Norman M. Howard, Treasurer
Barney Freliegh, President Elliott Jones, Secretary
St. John’s Lodge, No. 196, F. & A. M.
Organized in 1801 or 1802. The officers were John C.
Burhans, W.M.; Amos Cornwell, S. W. ; Rufus Byington, J. W.; Forfeited its
charter during the Morgan excitement.
Kedemah Lodge, No. 693, F. & A. M.
Organized January 30, 1869. Its first officers:
Elias L. Dutcher W.
J. Seymour Miller, S.D.
Egbet Yumans, S. W. Benjamin H. Waldron, J. D.
Edward Adams, J. W. Levi K. Byington, Tyler
Luke Roe, Secretary Rev. Edward Pidsley, Chaplain
Seymour Adams, Treasurer Zanoni Beckwith, M. of C.
Thomas L. Wood, M. of C.
Other Charter Members:
George W. Mead
Reuben W. Green Francis G. Walters Solomon Christian
Edwin E. Darby Dennis M. Stewart John A. Mower
J. S. Miller Alvin B. Felt Robert Bridgen
Martin Smith A. L. Walters Lucius K. Byington
A. Timmerman D. S. Eckler Edward M. Lennon
John B. Earl,
Lodge, No. 604
Charters member: Mr. and Mrs. Ross J. Ruland, Mr. and
Mrs. Garrett Becker, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hotchkiss, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Vaughn,
Mr. and Mrs. C. P. Row, Mr. and Mrs. F. Bonesteel.
Fraternity Lodge, I. O. O. F.
This lodge was instituted at Leeds, Jan. 22, 1875; moved
to Cairo April 1, 1897, and housed was destroyed by fire Nov. 17, 1913.
George H. Warner, Noble
J. Martin Vedder, Vice-President
Charles C Teich, Secretary H. Fiero Vedder, Treasurer
I. O. O. F. Hall was deeded to the Odd Fellows by William
H. Ford May 28, 1918, and possession was given at once. Mr. Ford died in
Oklahoma Feb. 7, 1920, and was buried in Cairo Cemetery by Fraternity Lodge,
Feb. 14, 1920.
Lodge, No. 289, Knights of Pythias.
Established July 30, 1890, Pythian Period 27. First
meeting held in Walters Hotel. Moved to lodge rooms in Masonic Hall about 1913.
Dr. N. H. Griffin,
Charles Person, Prelate
George H. Lyons, C. C. Joshua Travis, Keeper of R. & S.
Francis G. Walters, M. of E. Selden H. Hine, M. of A.
W. Burr Hall, Inner Guard Johnson Smith, M. of A.
John C. Person, V. C. Platt R Weeks, Outer Guard
Other Charter Members:
J. H. Palen
J. W. Mulberry
E. E. Guthrie John Hahn John E. Greene
H. F. Williams J. C. Palmer J. H. Lent
Hiram P. Lacy G. B. Holcomb H. R. Wells
Richard Cartan H. S. Duncan C. H. Riesdorph
W. S. Stanley J. C. Lennon J. L. Jacobs
J. H. Cammer George M. Weed F. H. Ford
James H. Sheridan
Mohican Post, No. 983, American Legion
January 16, 1925.
Louis P. Miller,
Joseph Francel, Adjutant
Percy Mower, Vice Commander Herbert Knapp, Finance Officer
James Bonesteel Commander
Cairo Hose Company
William H. Freese, President
Louis A. Miller, Treasurer
Barney Freleigh, Vice President Moses Deyo, Foreman
S. Cozine, Second Vice President Nathan Fiero, First Asst. Foreman
Howard P. Crum, Secretary W. Walters, Second Asst. Foreman
Wm. H. Freese
Louis A. Miller
James A. Bonesteel Augustus Hof Barney W. Freleigh
Sidney Timmerman Samuel A. Cozine Jr.
Other Charter Members:
George Arnold Courtney Weeks James P. Post
Elliott Mangam Louis Egnor Julius Schad
George Holdridge Andrew Freese Seymour Haines
John Duncan Jr. William Simpkins Lucius Lennon
S. E. Elliott Howard P. Crum Oscar Horton
Frederick Barlow George Van Buren Walter P. Jones
Claude Story Harry Rasmussen John Turner
Joseph O’Connor, charter member, died 1924.
S. E. Cozine,
William Dyce, Secretary
John S. Betts Post, No. 348, G. A. R.
Meetings were held in the Lodge Rooms on the top floor of
Walters Hotel in the early establishment of the Post.
Jonathan B. Webster,
W. H. Rice, Vice Commander
William Howard, Vice Commander Isaac Howard, Delegate
Albert Weaver, Alternate
James Akeley—Born Sept. 3, 1846, member of 4th
Regiment, Heavy Artillery, N. Y. S. Vol. Enlisted
Aaron Betts—Entered service April 19, 1861, as Fife
Major in 20th Regiment N. Y. S. Militia.
Discharged Aug. 2, 1865; Re-enlisted as private in Co. E 91st
N. Y. Vol. Inft.
William Brandow—Born Dec. 20, 1840, enlisted in 15th
N. Y. Engineers, N. Y. Volunteer Regiment.
Isaac S. Howard—Born Feb. 13, 1839; died Dec. 31, 1923.
Enlisted Aug. 19, 1862; discharged June 29, 1865. Promoted Nov. 1, 1864; wounded
March 25, 1865. Enlisted in 20th Regiment N. Y. S. Vol., recruited in
Ulster and Greene Co.
Enoch Walters—Born Feb. 24, 1846. A member of the 100th N. Y. S. Vol. Inft. Enlisted at Kingston Oct. 3, 1864; discharged Aug. 28, 1865, at Richmond, Va. (Capt. Sam. Ely’s Co.)
At the breaking out of the Rebellion, Alanson Walters
with his four sons resided in Greene County. All five enlisted and the father
was shot and killed in the battle of Winchester.
One son died in Andersonville prison (Nelson), another was killed in the
battle of the Wilderness, a third lost his leg above the knee at Gettysburg, and
the fourth, Enoch, still living (1926) came out of the conflict uninjured. Moses
who lost his leg was keeper of the Four-Mile Point Lighthouse, in the Hudson
Prominent in the life of the John S. Beets Post, No. 348, G. A. R., was their commander, Jonathan Brown Webster, familiarly known to the Cairoites as Captain Webster. He was the descendant of a long line of military ancestors. His maternal grandfather, Jonathan Brown, after whom he was named, was a major in the war of 1812, and his great-grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier.
The paternal grandfather, a Connecticut man, was a Revolutionary soldier whose grandfather served on the three lists of the Colony in the Pequadsh war. On an old English coat of arms in the family, a five-pointed star on its shield shows military service of an oldest son, granted by the King, by whom he was knighted at Bosworth Field.
During the Civil War he was appointed captain in the 20th Regiment, Co., A, N. Y. S. M., April 31, 1861. The regiment was mustered into service at Kingston, N. Y.; the place of general rendezvous. He had been captain in the 28th Regiment of the 12th Brigade, 3d Division of N. Y. S. M., which appointment took place November 11, 1852, and he resigned to take command of the 20th Regiment N. Y. S. M., Co. A.
He was born in New York city in 1824, the son of Samuel Webster, born at Freehold, N. Y., where his father, Samuel Sr., a Revolutionary soldier, located from Connecticut after the war. His mother, Eliza Brown, daughter of Jonathan Brown of Morris county, N. J., a major in the War of 1812. Captain Webster was recommended by Colonel George H. Sharpe for the positions of Colonel or Lieutenant-Colonel in place of Colonel Pratt, who expected to resign, but later changed his mind. The recommendation is dated August 25, 1862. Mrs. S. A. Mangam of Cairo and New York city is his niece.
Town of Catskill
Census 1920, Population 7,670
Census 1925, Population 8,563
Clarence F. Travis Supervisor
Geo. W. Swartout Town Clerk Frank Durwin Overseer Poor
Mrs. Eva Swartwout Deputy Stewart Parks Auditor
Melvin Waggoner Justice Peace John V. Bogart Auditor
Paul R. Morrison Justice Peace F. C. Kniffen Auditor
W. J. Saxe Justice Peace Patrick Ryan Constable
Louis F. Teich Justice Peace John Hines Constable
Walter Dederick Collector Bernard Cummings Constable
Eugene L. Wolfe Highway Supt. Van Dyke Smith Constable
Oliver Palmer Assessor John Fitzsimmons Constable
C. J. Hammer Assessor W. S. C. Wiley School Director
George Badeau Assessor John V. Bogart School Director
Catskill Post Office (Second Class)
Wm. B. Donahue, Postmaster
R. F. D. Route No. 1 Elmer E. Palmer, Carrier
R. F. D. Route No. 2 Raymond E. Boomhower, Carrier
Route No. 1 goes up Spring street to Hamburg, crosses to
Lime Street, circles Green Lake and follows Spooky Hollow road to four corners,
from there goes through Leeds to Cairo Junction, returning on Five-Mile Woods
road to stone school house, then to Cauterskill bridge and Catskill.
Route No. 2 goes up Spring street, delivers mail on part of Allen street (not in corporation), crosses the concrete bridge to Cauterskill and Kiskatom, going south through High Falls, and back to Catskill.
Between Catskill and Palenville mail is distributed by Irving Saxe.
Between Catskill and Cairo by Vernon Vaughn.
Palenville Post Office, Third Class C. J. Hinman, Postmaster
Leeds Post Office, Third Class Harry C. Teich, Postmaster
This office has a Star Route, Leeds-Gayhead; Oscar
Catskill Hardware & Lumber Co.
Catskill Supply Co. Inc. 1910, consolidated Jan. 1, 1926, into Catskill Hardware & Lumber Company, to furnish “everything used in construction of buildings from foundation to final cost of paint and varnish.”
Welsh & Grey
Welsh & Grey Lumber Corp.
To supply contractors and builders with lumber, masons’ supplies etc. Office located on Water street, Catskill.
New Era Apple Products Co. Inc.
Incorporated April 30, 1926. Principal business office, Leeds N. Y.
Adolph L. Hausold, Hoboken
Adolph Schaefer, Leeds
Mayone Brick Co.
1916 at Glasco.
Took possession July 1, 1925, of Freeman property, West
Bridge street (Powder Spring Farm), formerly owned by Frederick Cooke. This
company operates yards at Athens and Glasco.
Catskill Creamery Co. Inc.
Edison Post, President
Thomas J. Riley, Vice
Mamie D. Post, Secretary and Treasurer
Incorporated April 24, 1925, for the purpose of buying tested milk, which after being pasteurized is shipped to New York markets (also home consumption).
Edison Post Apple Products Corporation.
Incorporated Sept. 29, 1924, for the manufacture of sweet cider and vinegar, and shipping of apples to New York city markets.
Rip Van Winkle
Golf and Country Club
Rip Van Winkle Golf and Country Club
Mrs. J. R. MacAllister, Secretary
Catskill Country Club
M. Edw. Silberstein, President Percy W. Decker, Secretary
Heights Improvement Society
Jefferson Heights Improvement Society
Mrs. Fannie I. Clay, Secretary
Earl C. Sandt
Elias Reynolds Assessor
George W. Irwin Trustee Irving Linzey Assessor
Champlin Clark Trustee Harry Millspaugh Assessor
H. C. Smith Trustee Patrick Ryan Police Chief
G. E. D. Parker Trustee Paul Morrison Police Justice
W. O. Edwards Clerk John Zitzsmimons Constable
James McNee Treasurer John Hines Constable
Mary A. Deady Collector Van Dyke Smith Constable
J. L. Malcolm Corp. Counsel Bernard Cummings Constable
Henry Shear Street Superintendent
Board of Water Commissioners
Harvey S. Scutt
Mrs. Mark McGovern, Bookkeeper
M. Edw. Silberstein William Shufelt, Engineer
Frank H. Cooke Joseph Bennett, Fireman
J. C. Beare, Superintendent William Saxe, Fireman
Counselors at Law
Attorneys and Counselors at Law
Josiah C. Tallmadge John C. Welsh Charles G. Coffin
Orliff T. Heath Lee F. Betts G. Howard Jones
J. Lewis Patrie Lester R. Smith John D. Whittaker
Ambrose Jones Clarence Howland
Osborn, Bloodgood, Wilbur & Fray Decker & Malcolm
Lyle B. Honeyford
Charles E. Willard
William M. Rapp
George L. Branch Mahlon H. Atkinson James B. Rouse
George R. DeSilvia F. W. Goodrich S. A. Holcomb
Leon L. Parker* J. J. Bogan (County Veterinarian)
(*Dr. L. L. Parker, veterinarian, has been assigned the towns of Catskill, Cairo, Athens, Coxsackie and New Baltimore. Dr. G. Clark DeWitt of Oak Hill, for Durham and part of Greenville. Dr. Frank L. Haner of Jewett, all mountain towns excepting Halcott and a portion of Prattsville.)
Tanners National Bank
This bank was incorporated under the name of Tanners Bank (safety fund) March 14, 1831, and re-incorporated under present name in 1865. Its firs president was Orrin Day; cashier, Frederick Hill; vice-president, S. Sherwood Day.
Charles L. Beach John Breasted
Edgar B. Day George H. Penfield John T. Mann
S. Sherwood Day Rufus H. King Joshua Atwater jr.
Francis Sayre Joshua Fiero jr. Francis N. Wilson
Is capital stock in 1831 was $100,000.
William Palmatier, Cashier
Capital stock $150,000.00 Surplus $150.000.00 Undivided profits $85,434.45
In November, 1925, County Treasurer Wendell S. Sherman, who had been assistant cashier since 1912 and associated with the bank for nearly twenty-six years, was promoted to vice-president.
Catskill Savings Bank
This bank was incorporated under its present name April 1, 1868l. Its first president was John Breasted; Edgar Russell, secretary. It began business in the main room of the Tanners Bank, and there remained until January, 1909, when it moved to its own building.
Wm. W. Palmatier,
A. C. Bloodgood, Vice President
Addison P. Jones, Second Vice President and Secretary
C. Edsall Fiester, Assistant Secretary
Assets July 1, 1927, $6,484,804.29
Catskill Savings and Loan Association.
It has been stated that William S. Torrey and Charles A. Wardle fathered the Association, and its first officers were
Thomas E. Ferrier, President
W. E. Torrey, Secretary
P. Gardner Coffin, Treasurer W. W. Bennett, Attorney
John L. Kennedy was first to secure a loan.
Josiah C. Tallmadge, President
Thomas E. Jones, Secretary
Assets, $515,547.79 Loans $103,773.75
Christ’s Presbyterian Church .
Incorporated 1803. Church built 1808.
Rev. Andrew Hansen,
Rev. C. G. Hazard, Pastor Emeritus
First Reformed (Dutch) Church.
First Church built 1828, present church 1853
Pastor, Rev. Jacob Van Ess.
St. Luke’s Protestant Episcopal Church.
Rev. Walter E. Howe (1926)
St. Luke’s parish was founded before 1800; First church dedicated 1809; Corner stone of present church, 1883. Incorporated on St. Bartholomew’s Day, August 24, 1801.
Methodist Episcopal Church.
Pastor, Rev. Grant E. Robinson.
First church built 1824, present church 1864.
First Baptist Church.
Pastor, Rev. G. W. Rockwell
Church organized 1803. Present church built 1873.
St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church.
Established 1853. Present church built 1885.
Rev. John L. Smith, Rector. Rev. William Martin, Assistant
Second Baptist Church.
Pastor, Rev. Trussie Johnson.
The corner stone was laid July 26, 1925; its cost $9,000. Rev. George W. Rockwell of the First Baptist Church preached the dedicatory sermon from these words, “Thou art Peter, and upon this rock will I build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Dr. Hazard spoke in connection with the corner stone. A review of the church history was read by Mrs. Julia Gunnel, one of the founders. Mrs. Julia Cobb, organizer and president of the Silver Leaf Building Club, which inaugurated the drive for funds for a new church, also addressed the gathering.
Mt. Tabor A. M.
E. Zion Church.
Mt. Tabor A. M. E. Zion Church.
Pastor, Rev. J. H. Edwards Organized 1914.
Church of Science Church.
This church was started with a few members in 1917. The first meetings were held in the Sage Building, and from there in 1918 they moved to Clark street. In 1923 a church was built and dedicated on the corner of Broad and Livingston streets, and, free from debt, its service was held in September of that year. This church has two readers and six trustees.
Temple of Israel, Catskill.
Rabbi Benjamin Schwartz.
Leeds Reformed (Dutch) Church.
Organized as Katskill and Kocksackie 1732.
Present church built 1818. Rev. George D. Wood, Pastor.
Episcopal Church, Leeds.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Leeds.
Church built 1860. Rev. G.O. Wilsey, pastor
Roman Catholic Church, Leeds.
St. Bridget’s Roman Catholic Church, Leeds.
Established and church built in 1878.
Episcopal Church, Palenville.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Palenville.
Rev. Leslie G.
Gloria Dei Episcopal Church, Palenville.
Rev. Harl E.
Hood, in charge.
Roman Catholic Church, Cementon.
Catskill High School.
1927 High School Graduates
Ruth MacClain (H)
Beatrice Bartoo (H) Katharine Eckler Mildred Morehouse
Edith Bates (H) Francis Fowks George Parker
Mabel Beare William Freese Donald Rightmyer
David Chassy (H) Doris Heath George Rosengren
Harriet Cole Georgiana Heath (H) Irving Seeley
Orlando Craft George Holdridge Marian Silberstein
Carlton Coutant Mamie Kiebart Lena Smith
Naomi Decker Hertha Latimer Harry Townsend
Mary Vicevich Virginia Winans (H)
Mrs. Thomas C. Perry, instructor in the second grade, and
wife of Superintendent Perry, died at her home in Catskill, Marcy 17, 1926. She
was devoted to her work and greatly loved as a teacher.
Miss Helen Finnigan, instructor in the third grade, died at the Albany Hospital Jan. 30, 1926. She was successful teacher.
St. Patrick’s Academy
Marie Van Loan
Hebrew School, Catskill
Rabbi Schwartz, Instructor.
Town of Catskill
There are fifteen school districts having school buildings in the town. No. 1 (Catskill) is a Union Free School. Nov. 5 contracts with No. 1, and No. 14 contracts with Nos. 1 and 10.
Palenville (Rowena Memorial)
Alice E. Jones,
Arthur C. Lewis, Principal
John W. McMenamy, Principal
Catskill Public Library
Endowed by Andrew Carnegie, 1901.
George W. Irwin,
President Mrs. Frank
H. Osborn, Treasurer
Miss Emily Becker, Librarian, Mrs. Mabel Sommerville, Assistant.
Emory A. Chase Memorial Law Library
Percy W. Decker
Benjamin I. Tallmadge
J. Lewis Malcolm
Miss Allene Davis, Librarian
No. 468, F. & A. M.
Catskill Lodge, No. 468, F. & A. M.
Organized 1859. John H. Bagley, W. M.
The Masonic Order is closely connected with the early
history of Catskill village. It is first heard of during the years 1793-4 and
was then known as “Harmony Lodge.” Among those who instituted it were Thomas
Thomson, Jacob Bogardus, Hezekiah Van Orden, George Taylor, Rufus Stanley and W.
In 1818 Catskill Lodge, No. 302, which numbered among its members many of those formerly of Harmony Lodge, held meetings in Botsford’s tavern on the corner of Main and Thomson streets. Its charter was signed by Dewitt Clinton.
Charles J. Bagley,
Henry Layman, Secretary
Hendrick Hudson Lodge, NO. 189, I. O. O. F.
Instituted in Catskill Jan. 14, 1845. Its charter members:
William Bennett B. O. Wait Nathan Mack
James Johnson Peter Baurhyte William Adams
George Bell Peter Hamblin James H. Van Orden
A. D. O. Brower
The first death was that of John Lusk, in March 1848.
L. Fred Rockerfeller,
Leroy Hover, Secretary
Athabasca Tribe, No. 251, I. O. R. M.
Organized thirty-three years ago.
On Past Sachem’s night, 1926, four charter members were
present: R. J. Stahl, P. D.
Hitchcock, B. K. Van Valkenburgh and Charles Reinhart.
John Baker, Sachem
Scott, Keeper of Records
Catskill Lodge, B. P. O. E.
John C. Welsh,
Wm. C. O’Brien, Secretary
Society of Sts. Cosmo and Damien.
Joseph DiPerna, Secretary
Bayard Taylor Unit, S. S. A.
Organized by Edwin Schaefer July, 1919.
Robert Henke jr., Magistrate
Harold D. Bush, Secretary
Malaeska Lodge, Knights of Pythias
Instituted April 16, 1873. Charter Members:
J. F. Sylvester
A. D. Wilbur
F. P. Joesbury
William Joesbury J. P. Baird I. W. Van Gorden
E. K. Wilcox William B. Gay I. A. Penfield
B. F. Conklin Wheeler Howard Warren E. Egnor
George R. Olney J. R. Burgett David Mackey
Egbert Beardsley Gottlieb Fromer C. A. Weed
James B. Mitchell
Snyder, Keeper of Records and Seal
Knights of Columbus.
Organized Mary 30, 1901.
First Grand Knight, Thomas J. McLaughlin
P. D. Hitchcock,
James E. Wicks, Recorder
Wilfred Ford, Financial Secretary
Rip Van Winkle Club.
This club celebrated its fortieth birthday in 1925.
George A. Deane,
Lewis A. Freese, Secretary
Catskill Chamber of Commerce.
Herman C. Cowen,
Willis P. Goldin, Secretary
In April, 1925, the Health Association which had existed
for some time was merged in the Parent-Teacher Association with Mrs. Fred Fiero
Miss Alice Bobcock,
Mrs. John L. Fray, Secretary
L. L. Parker, President
D. Harold Bush,
Twilight Baseball League
Edwin J. Thomas, President
John J. Fitzsimmons, Secretary
Henry Place, Treasurer
Catskill Fire Department.
The village fire department had its origin April 1, 1797,
when an Act was passed “for the better extinguishing of fires in the village
of Catskill, County of Albany,” Trustees were empowered to appoint firemen,
not more than fourteen to each engine, giving certain exemptions for public
service, and in Section 4 it was further enacted in brief as follows: Trustees,
justices and constables were immediately to repair the scene of the fire with
staves and other badges of authority as should be ordained by a majority of the
trustees to be worn. They should assist in putting our fires and prevent goods
from being stolen. (Catskill Packet).
F. N. Wilson Hook & Ladder Co., No. 5.
seventy-second annual dinner, 1926.
Celebrated seventy-second annual dinner, 1926.
Howard Rightmyer, Secretary
A. M. Osborn Hose Co., No. 2.
Reorganized and adopted its present name June 7, 1886.
John J. Fitzsimmons,
John F. Cummings, Secretary
Wiley Hose Co., No. 1.
Henry F. Place,
Roy H. Freer, Secretary
Citizens Hose Co., No. 5.
Edward M. Henderson,
Gordon F. Wolfe, Secretary
Leeds Hose Company
The Leeds Hose Company incorporated April 3, 1925, owes
its beginning in 1923 to J. R. Person, who interested others in the project and
was the means of raising the firs money ($83) for the purpose of a fire truck.
This was purchased Oct. 26, 1923, and the company turned out to their
first fired at Mrs. E. R. Potter’s tenant-house Dec. 2, 1923. A fire alarm was
set up Dec. 30. 1924.
On Nov. 12, 1924, a lot was purchased of Marietta Harris, on Main street, for a hose house, and the plans of Otto Daucher accepted March 5, 1925. The building was completed during the year. Two additional chemical tanks were added to the equipment in 1926.
James, R. Person, President
Arthur F. Kamm, Foreman
Lewis Wolfe, Secretary Lawrence Wolfe, Assistant
Charles Bunce, Treasurer James O’Connell, Second Assistant
Board of Directors.
J. Fred Elting Harry C. Teich
W. L. Van Vechten
Lewis Wolfe, Secretary
Howitzer Co., 10th Regiment, N. Y. N. G.
The deed for the land upon which the Armory was built was dated Sept. 1, 1888, and was given by William J. Hughes, Geo. W. Holdridge and Hannah Holdridge, who had secured the property. The Company was then known as the Sixteenth Separate Company and the officers at the time the Armory was built were: Arthur M. Murphy, Captain; Frank E. Van Gorden, First Lieutenant; Chas. E. Nichols, Second Lieutenant.
The Armory was built by Contractor Geo. W. Hildridge for $18,673, and Mr. Holdridge was awarded a bonus of $1,000 for excellent work, for which he had been strongly commended by the architect, I. G. Perry.
Catskill Post 110, American Legion.
Nicholas Leone jr., Adjutant
Sullivan-Teator Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Henry V. D. Smith, Commander
William Scott, Adjutant
John W. Watson Post, No. 514, G. A. R.
Watson Post was named after one of the sons of Catskill,
Lieut. John W. Watson, youngest son of Judge Malbone Watson of that village.
Lieut. Watson was killed in the battle of Nashville. He enlisted in the 5th
Iowa Cavalry as a private in 1861, winning rapid promotion. Attached to the army
of General Sherman, he was in many perilous engagements of showed great bravery.
A more extended account of his life and service can be found at the G. A. R.
rooms in the Court House.
Geo. W. Holdridge*
Edward Martin (deceased)* J. B. Rouse, M. D.
W. W. Hull William Brandow
John Young Charles Trowbridge
Peter Overbagh Edward Carpenter (deceased)
Charles Wilday William Swartz
George Coons Aaron Betts
George W. Winans (deceased) Erick Walters
William Caniff, Commander (deceased) * Charter Members.
Commander Caniff received the appointment of Aide-de-camp
on the staff on Commander D. J. McMillian, Dept of New York State G. A. R.
William Hull of Catskill, who recently passed his eighty-sixth birthday (June 7th) was a member of Company D, 120th N. Y. S. Vol., under Captain Lansing Hollister of Coxsackie, which took part in the battle of Gettysburg July 2, 1986. He enlisted at Ashland, Greene Co., August 22, 1862, and a little less than a year later, in the late afternoon of July 2d, with General Sickles’s corps advanced three-quarters of a mile beyond the main Union lines where the troops bore the brunt of the first charge.
“This,” says Mr. Hull, “was owing to the fact that Sickles disobeyed instructions and left a strong position to lead his men to the front where they were without protection.” When the order to fire came Hull shot with the rest but without result, as he saw nothing to shoot at, the company being drawn up at such and angle as to put the enemy on their left. A bullet went through his leg just above the knee, and it was with great difficulty he crawled to the rear, his only fear that of being made a prisoner. His captain was instantly killed, the second lieutenant lost his arm, and Stephen Hann of Prattsville was also killed and many others wounded. Most of Company D were from Greene county.
Census 1920, Population 2,994
Census 1925, Population 3,477
Edward A. Webb Supervisor George M. Lamb Assessor
F. P. Donovan Town Clerk Harvey A. Truesdell Assessor
E. C. Hallenbeck Justice Peace Albert W. Pierce Assessor
Wm. T. Haswell Justice Peace E. S. Anthony School Director
Wm. R. Palmer Justice Peace A. C. Fairchild School Director
Francis Worden Justice Peace John E. Cure Constable
Isaac T. Boyce Collector John Q. Adams Constable
A. C. King Highway Supt. Chas. H. Hill Constable
A. C. Fairchild
President Wm. T. Haswell
Wm. H. Salisbury Treasurer Arthur Spoor Trustee
Wm. E. Brady Clerk Guerney J. Wilson Trustee
Coxsackie National Bank.
Capital stock, $100,000
Surplus and undivided profits $121,347. 44
Philip A. Goodwin,
Henry A. Jordan, Cashier
O. L. Whiteman, Vice-President W. H. Salisbury, Assistant Cashier
L. Worden, Postmaster
West Coxsackie George Hubbard, Postmaster
Climax August F. Lubbin, Postmaster
Urlton Harold G. Haines, Postmaster
Physicians Attorneys Druggists
A. W. Van Slyke
Curtis & Warren
Jordan & Marsh
I. E. Van Hoesen
J. C. McClure
John L. Loutfian Dr. W. I. Sax Frank A. Yaguda
Rev. M. G. Nies, Pastor
Second Reformed Church
Christ’s Episcopal Church.
Rev. Jerrold C. Potts, Pastor
Methodist Episcopal Church
Rev. Emmett E.
Church built in 1917
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church
Church built in 1900
Bethel A. M. E. Church
Church in 1856.
Coxsackie High School
Class of 1927
Neal Brandow Mark Scully
Alice Truesdell Naomi Barlow Irving Van Dyck Sax
Louis Coment Eugene Bronk Vera Van Denburgh
Heermance Memorial Library
Miss Margaret V. S. Wallace, Librarian.
Mrs. Leroy Spoor
and Mrs. William Doherty, Assistants
Dr. A. W. Van Slyke
O. L. Whitman
Henry A. Jordan O. J. Greene
Ark Lodge, F. & A. M.
George Cornwall, Master
Geo. W. Barber, Secretary
Coxsackie Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 351
Grover Roberts, N. G.
W. H. Parslow, Secretary
Knights of Columbus.
Francis Dorlan, G. K.
Rod and Rifle Club
Geo. T. Morgan, President
Frank H. Wehrle, Secretary
Board of Trade.
George S. Marsh, President
D. Pen Dell, Secretary
E. C. Hall, Secretary
Village Improvement Society
Opened Rest Room
April 25, 1927
Florence Perkins, President
Mrs. H. L. Cooper, Rec. Secretary
Mrs. Marsh, Vice-President Miss M. Whitmore, Cor. Secretary
Mrs. G. I. Titus, Treasurer
Lyman Black, President
Chas. D. Pen Dell, Secretary
Veterans Fireman’s Association
Of thirty-eight charter members five are still living
(1927). E. C. Hallenbeck, Leland Smith, Matthew Moran, A. C. Thomas, Alonzo
Geo. H. Scott Hook & Ladder Co.
Chas. D. Pen Dell,
Wm. H. Parslow, Secretary
Coxsackie Hose Co.
Otto Mueller, Foreman
H. Hill, Secretary
D. H. Hamilton Steamer Co.
Leo Longthon, Foreman
William Latte, Secretary
Town of Durham
Census 1920, Population 1,211
Census 1925, Population 1,196
Wm. S. Borthwick
Ralph Ruland Assessor
Vernon Baldwin Town Clerk Romaine Spencer Assessor
P. A. Scott Justice Peace John E. Huyck Assessor
J. S. G. Baldwin Justice Peace Webster Morse Oversee Poor
H. E. Utter Justice Peace Wm. D. Hull School Director
E. L. Strong Justice Peace N. G. Knowles School Director
Harold Turk Collector Fred S. Anthony Constable
Judson Moss Highway Supt.
Dist. No. 1—Located at Presbyterian Hall, Durham village.
2—Located at Lawyer’s Hall, Durham
Durham Joseph Baldwin, Postmaster
Cornwallville Addison Z. Smith, Postmaster
East Durham Grace O. Meloy, Postmistress
East Windham H. Anable Butts, Postmaster
Oak Hill Ernest E. Ford, Postmaster
South Durham W. Gates Van Orden, Postmaster
Sunside Lillian Bush, Postmistress
Rural Mail Carrier Albert E. Smith.
Route begins at Cornwallville post office, then via Edmont and Hedges farms to East Durham; thence Carter Bridge to Wright Street, Dean’s Mills; thence to J. Albert Hollock’s Charles Jennings’s, J. W. Mulbery’s, Shady Glen, George Hull’s, Elisha Parks’s, Lewis Hill’s, Arthur Strong’s, Hervey Street, Hervey Street school house, the Boughton’s corner via Gideon Palmer’s, thence to Cornwallville.
Cornwallville Grain Threshers’ Association
Incorporated 1925, for purpose of threshing grain for farmers.
Latta, Secretary, Treasurer
10 and 14 contract. All are common
Duncan Sinclair, M. D.
M. Herbert Simmons, M. D.
Dr. G. Clark
Dewitt, Oak Hill, N.Y.
W. Mace Laraway,
Oak Hill, N. Y.
Civil War Veterans
Sherman, Cornwallville, N. Y.
Mrs. A. Z. Smith Secretary
Census 1920, Population 1,362
Census 1925, Population 1,394
Robert Van Houten Supervisor
Egbert J. Abrams Town Clerk Leroy Schofield Assessor
A. J. Cunningham Justice Peace Millard Felter Assessor
J. W. Hallock Justice Peace Jacob Cameron Overseer Poor
Elmer Story Justice Peace C. P. MaCabe School Director
Cornelius Bauman Justice Peace O. T. Losee School Director
Reuben Waldron Collector Clarence Boomhower Constable
Stanley Ingalls Highway Supt. Albertus Becker Constable
building formerly owned by David E. Powell, Greenville
Dist. No. 2—Parks Hotel, Freehold.
Dist. No. 3—Rooms of A. J. Cunningham, Greenville
Greenville Village (Third Class) Homer Hook, Postmaster
Freehold Village (Third Class) Olin D. Beers, Postmaster
Norton Hill Village (Fourth Class) P. R. Stevens, Postmaster
Greenville Center (Fourth Class) Mrs. Phelps, Postmistress
Gayhead (Fourth Class) Reuben Waldron, Postmaster
Surprise (Fourth Class) Robert Blenis, Postmaster
R. D. Route No. 1
Thurman Vaughn, Carrier
R. D. Route No. 2 Charles Newman, Carrier
Terminal of Routes Greenville
Charles P. McCabe, M. D. W. A. Wasson, M. D.
Gardner, Norton Hill, N. Y.
James M. Austin Lodge, 557, F. & A. M.
Its charter was obtained and its first meeting held in 1864.
John W. Hoffman,
Electus Ramsdell, S. W. David Turner, Treasurer
Humphrey Wilbur, J. W. A. N. Bentley
James Stevens, S. D. I. I. Van Allen
B. F. Hisert, J. D. Luman Ramsdell
Platt Coonley, Tyler J. E. Collins
W. P. Stevens,
Ralph M. Youmans, Secretary
Greenville Post, American Legion
Organized Sept. 18, 1919.
Lynn D. Wessels, Commander
W. P. Stevens, Vice Commander
Organized November 11, 1894
Spanish War Veterans
Christ’s Protestant Episcopal Church
Rev. Harl E. Hood, Rector
Organized April 4, 1825, at the house of Reuben Rundle.
built in 1852.
Rev. E. D. Van Dyck, Pastor
Organized by Beriah Hotchkins, 1790.
First sermon of Hotchkins was preached April 5, 1789,
Spees’ barn. Church erected 1872.
Methodist Episcopal Church.
Rev. A. P. Lakeberg, Pastor
Organized in 1825.
A church was
built in 1825 at West Greenville, removed to Greenville in 1856.
This church was burned and present one built in 1873.
Greenville High School
J. Kearney, Principal
Town of Halcott
Census 1920, Population 272
Census 1925, Population 268
Supervisor Sherman Ellis
Marshall Bouton Town Clerk Roswell Bouton Assessor
John Ballard Justice Peace Earl W. Jenkins Assessor
Arthur Gordon Justice Peace Hiram Avery Assessor
M. K. Morse Justice Peace Robert Van Valkenburgh School Director
Robert Van Valkenburgh Justice Peace Amos Avery Constable
John f. Van Valkenburgh Highway Supt. Sherman Ellis Constable Garfield Reynolds Constable
No. 1 Grange Hall, Halcott Center.
Halcott Center (Fourth Class)
F. Thorn Moseman, Postmaster
Methodist Episcopal Church
Rev. F. P.
Dedicated December 29, 1849
J. P. Van
Valkenburgh Travis Faulkner
Travis Faulkner Fred Bouton
J. L. Van Valkenburgh J. P. Van Valkenburgh
Mrs. L. Van Valkenburgh Myron Morse
Mrs. W. D. Griffin Lorenzo Van Valkenburgh
Mrs. J. C. Johnson J. C. Johnson
Mrs. Effie Kelly Mrs. Lemuel Kelly, Pres. L. A. S.
Mrs. B. A. Scudder Mrs. A. C. Johnson, Director
Sunday School Recreation
Halcott Center Creamery Company
Milk Plant, principal place of business, Andes, N. Y.
Walter Ostrander, Secretary-Treasurer
Greene Valley Grange, No. 882.
Organized Oct. 4, 1899
The Grange purchased the vacant Kaufman creamery and then
traded buildings with the Halcott Center Co-operative Creamery Company. This
trade was mutually advantageous. The former Co-operative
Creamery was remodeled for a Grange Hall and in addition to the uses of
the Grange has been used as a community hall.
K. Crosby, Steward
James M. Whitney, Overseer Wilbur Whitney, Assistant
Esther Jane Jenkins, Lecturer Maritta Peet, Assistant
Earl Jenkins, Treasurer Augusta Ballard, Pomona
Alexander Van Valkenburgh, Chaplain Lena Ballard, Ceres
Celestia H. Moore, Secretary Horace Peet, Gate Keeper
World War Veteran
Town of Hunter
Census 1920, Population 2,309
Census 1925, Population 2,925
J. Frank Lackey Supervisor
Geo. E. Sweet Assessor
Paul Fromer Town Clerk Harry R. Knight Assessor
Bert F. Baker Justice Peace Richard F. Haines Assessor
Owen Glennon Justice Peace Joseph Kissley Overseer Poor
George Griffin Justice Peace Frank White Overseer Poor
Joseph Farrell Justice Peace E. Delmar Smith School Director
Harry F. Thorpe Collector Helen T. Johnson School Director
J. E. Gillespie Highway Superintendent
Samuel D. Scudder
Mayor Andrew J. Hill Treasurer
R. Lee Rose Trustee Wm. G. Bynder Police Justice
Ralph Voss Trustee Frank North Street Supt.
Percy Wilson Clerk Fred Carn Collector
Edwin A. Ham Mayor
Max Iskin Treasurer
Frank Barkley Trustee Irving Boyarsky Collector
Fred Quick Trustee Claude Lake Police Justice
William Ryan Clerk Abraham Gordon Street Supt.
Hunter Chamber of Commerce
Isidore Reiss, President
George J. Strenk, Secretary
Tannersville Chamber of Commerce
J. Frank Lackey, President
Clara E. Lackey, Secretary
E. Delmar Smith, Treasurer
Mountains National Bank
Capital Stock $50,000, Surplus $10,000, Undivided Profits $11,650.50
M. Lackey Jr., President Sam Golding, Vice-President S. D. Scudder, Cashier
Tannersville Fire Department
E. Delmar Smith, Chief
David E. Showers, Assistant
Jacob Fromer Fire Company
M. Lackey Jr., President
Samuel Greene, Secretary
Ernest Haines, Foreman Fred Wilson , Assistant Foreman
& Ladder Company
Citizens Hook & Ladder Company
Andrew J. Hill, President
Louis Hyser Jr., Secretary
Gordon C. Campbell, Foreman Thurber Kerr, Assistant Foreman
Hunter Fire Department.
Albert N. Taylor, Chief
Hunter Hose Company
August Strenk, President
Arthur J. Baldwin, Secretary
Walter J. Decker, Foreman Geo. J. Strenk, Assistant Foreman
Tannersville Boy Scout Council
J. Frank Lackey, President
Geo. B. Prosser, Secretary
George Woodworth, Scout Master
American Red Cross, Onteora Branch.
Greene County Chapter, Tannersville, N. Y.
Mrs. George D. Barron, Secretary
Miss Madeline Regan, Registered Nurse in charge
Health Center, Tannersville Red Cross Emergency Hospital
Bunt-Brewer Post, American Legion
George Prosser, Adjutant
Leo Squires Post, American Legion
Leslie Diston, Adjutant
Church of the Immaculate Conception Haines Falls, N. Y.
St. Frances De Sales Church Elka Park, N. Y.
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Hunter, N. Y.
Rev. William H. Sheridan, Pastor
Tannersville, N. Y.
Methodist Episcopal Church Tannersville, N. Y.
Rev. H. H. Black, Pastor
Methodist Episcopal Church Haines Falls, N. Y.
Methodist Episcopal Church Platte Clove, N. Y. Rev. L. C. Booth, Pastor
Methodist Episcopal Church Hunter, N. Y.
Rev. C. B. Livingston, Pastor
St. John’s Episcopal Church Tannersville, N. Y.
Rev. Alonzo Wood, Rector
All Souls Church Onteora Park, Tannersville, N. Y.
Rev. J. B. Warner, Pastor
Church of All Angels Twilight Park, Haines Falls, N. Y. Pulpit supplied
Union Chapel Twilight Park, Haines Falls, N. Y.
Rev. Wallace McMullon, Pastor
Kal Israel Anshi Hunter, N. Y.
Rabbi Hirsh Rapoport, Pastor
Congregation Anshi Tannersville, N. Y.
Rabbi M. Horowitz, Pastor
Onteora Lodge, No. 322, Knights of Pythias, Tannersville, N. Y.
Ernest Cole, Keeper Records
Onteora Temple.. No. 72, Pythian Sisters, Tannersville, N. Y.
Mabel Cole, M. E. C. Marian H. Showers, M. of R. and C.
Mt. Tabor Lodge, No. 807, F. & A. M., Hunter, N.Y.
Peterson, W. M.
Walter J. Decker, Secretary
Mt. Tabor Star Chapter, No. 284, O. E. S. Hunter, N. Y.
Walter G. Peterson, W. P.
Carries B. Lake, Secretary
Lockwood Lodge, No. 653, I. O. O. F. Hunter, N. Y.
George E. Sweet, Secretary
Tannersville, N. Y.
Gladys D. Pyer, Principal
Hunter, N. Y.
John S. Woods, Principal
Attorneys at Law
Dr. Horace G. Baldwin
Dr. Maurice Axelrad Dr.
Pharmacist and Druggists
Lackey & Lord Solomon Horowitz
Adolph Cohen Regina H. Lackey Charles Shuman
Rae Cohen Howard C. Matthews Hyman Angel
Dr. LeRoy G.
Harding Showers Morris S. Schapiro
Margaret F. Murray
Madeline Regan Olive Crum
Stanley D. Francis Tannersville
Frank G. Cosby
Horace G. Fromer Hunter Mary Bunt Elka Park
James H. Layman Haines Falls
Hunter Public Library
Hunter, N. Y.
Mrs. Herman Krom, Librarian
Haines Falls Public Library Haines Falls, N. Y.
Mrs. Charles B. Legg, Librarian
Town of Jewett
Census 1920, Population 883
Census 1925, Population 861
Frank H. Haner Supervisor A. D. Morse
Cyrus Carr Town Clerk Clayton Mead Overseer Poor
John Northrop Justice Peace Marvin Mulford Overseer Poor
Ralph Carr Justice Peace S. Clifford Hall School Director
Henry Distin Justice Peace J. Woodworth School Director
Benjamin Merwin Justice Peace Percy Cook Constable
John Merwin Collector Elmer Northrop Constable
Merritt DeLong Highway Supt. Wesley Gripman Constable
William H. Ward Assessor William Lawrence Constable
Frank C. Carr Assessor Arthur Barnum Constable
One election district.
Voting machine first used in 1919.
Jewett Heights (Fourth
William Rice, Postmaster
East Jewett (Fourth Class) Herbert Edson, Postmaster
From Hunter to Windham
Welcome Moore, Carrier
From Hunter to Lexington Samuel Loucks, Carrier
Jewett, N. Y.
Methodist Episcopal Church, East Jewett.
Rev. H. H.
Census 1920, Population 1,075
Census 1925, Population 899
Abram b. Roraback Supervisor
Robert S. Tuttle Town Clerk Everett A. Cross Assessor
Chris Riley Justice Peace Daniel C. Kirk Overseer Poor
E.E. Dunham Justice Peace Abram Truesdell Overseer Poor
Sidney L. Deyoe Justice Peace Edward Palmer School Director
Romain L. Kirk Justice Peace Edward Irwin Constable
Leslie Van Valkenburgh Collector W. S. Clawson Constable
W. E. Dunham Highway Supt. Alden Hyatt Constable
James Herdman Assessor R. Van Valkenburgh Constable
Dist. No. 1
Lexington House, Lexington Village
Dist. No. 2 Westkill House Pavilion Westkill
No voting machines used.
Lexington (Fourth Class) Eugene Bailey, Postmaster
Bushnellville (Fourth Class) Mary Kelly, Postmistress
Westkill (Fourth Class) Oliver L. Hare, Postmaster
Spruceton (Fourth Class) Bertha Riley, Postmistress
No R. F. D. Routes excepting one starting out of Prattsville, following the Prattsville and Lexington state rod to Mosquito Point, thence the Little Westkill section to Prattsville.
Star Route, Lexington to Hunter (8 miles) Samuel Loucks, driver
Star Route, Lexington to Shandaken (11 ½ miles) Alden Hyatt, driver
Star Route, Westkill to Spruceton (5 ½ miles) Ferris Herdman, drive.
Persons, Lexington, N. Y.
Lexington Creamery Co. Inc.
Incorporated for the purpose of manufacturing cream, cheese, etc., Office and principal place of business, 363 Cherry St., New York City.
L. B. Samuels,
Civil War Veterans
William Frayer, about eighty years of age, Lexington, N. Y.
The highway leading from the head of the Spruceton valley
and passing through t so-called Diamond Notch, leading to the Hunter town line
near Lanesville, was abandoned Nov. 26, 1924, by order of the Town Board of
Town of New
Census 1920, Population 1,536
Census 1925, Population 1,554
Levit C. Powell
Supervisor Herbert Travis Assessor
Lyles Z. Nelson Town Clerk A. L. Kniffen Assessor
Wyman Kniffen Justice Peace C. H. Burger Collector
M. W. Smith Justice Peace I. G. Tompkins Overseer Poor
A. L. Wheat Justice Peace Alfred Williams Constable
C. J. Lisk Justice Peace William Fink Constable
Charles Statts Highway Supt Charles H. Bronk School Director
Jurdenette Carr Assessor E. C. Vanderpool School Director
No. 1, Cornell
New Baltimore Village
No. 2, Town Hall Hannacroix No. 3 Hall at Medway
New Baltimore (Fourth Class) Platt S. Wheat, Postmaster
Hannacroix (Fourth Class) Clarence Albright, Postmaster
Rural Route No. 1, from Hannacroix Volney Titus, Carrier
To West Coxsackie Arthur Carr, Carrier
To Ravena E. C. Griffin, Carrier
Percy G. Waller Leland Winn
Laura A Carey, C. N.
Ella McCann, C. N.
Bertha Hotaling C. N.
Cornell Hook & Ladder Company
Levit C. Powell, Secretary
Social Friendship Lodge, No. 741, F. & A. M.
9, 1874, with 21 charter members.
Anthony H. Holmes Benjamin Hotaling
Dewitt A. Fuller
John Colvin Leonard Marshall Philo H. Backus
James H. Chase John A. Davis Stephen Mead
George W. Smith Jacob B. Holmes Edwin S. Colburn
A. V. S. Vanderpoel James B. Miller Horace Rennie
A. J. Vanderpoel Isaac Burns Geo. H. Johnson
Ira Wilson John H. Hotaling Stephen Springstall
The first officers were: Anthony H. Holmes, W. M.; John Colvin, S. W. ; James H. Chase, J. W.
John H. Hotaling is the only surviving charter member, and the late Byron Mansfield was secretary for twenty years.
Wyman C. Kniffen, W.
Arthur L. Kniffen, Secretary
A. O. Bliss Post, No. 305, G. A. R.
Organized Oct. 25, 1882. Its charter members:
John W. Wiggins, Commander Frank Green, O. R.
Robert Wilson, Vice President Elias Van Steenburg, O. D.
Henry W. Mead, Adjutant David Layton, O. G.
John Sullivan, Vice Adjutant Chas. C. Lowery, Chaplain
Joseph Smith Peter Van Hoesen
John F. Wright James L. Warner
James S. Frazier Norton Links
G. F. Hopper Sylvanus P. Eaton
Richard H. Burlingham, U. S. Navy, is only
Civil War veteran living.
C. V. Baldwin, W. M. Howard Forman, Secretary
Tuesday, Jan 25th, was opening night, when new home was dedicated.
Reformed (Dutch) Church
Elders (1834) Deacons (1834)
Tunis P. Van Slyke William Mansfield
Stephen Parsons Andrew Vanderpoel
Peter Matthews Fountain H. Slater
Dale S. Baldwin (Clerk)
Orlando Cary Dr. P. G. Waller
Paul O. Deitz Platt S. Wheat
Bronk Van Slyke Paul Van Slyke
Rev. Peter DeMeester, present pastor
Dr. Percy G. Waller
has served as treasurer for twenty-eight years.
Methodist Episcopal Church
New Baltimore was a charge on the Coeymans circuit, and a Mr. Hilton was the first known class leader. Its church was built during 1855-56, under Rev. J. D. Macomber; building committee was Alanson Scott, William M. Scribner, and William C. Hinman; its cost $1,400. The corner-stone of a second church was laid August 26, 1873; its cost $8,575.
Rev. N. J. Hess, present pastor.
Medway Christian Church
Organized in 1807, present church built in 1861
Rev. W. D.
First Baptist Church
This church was organized in February 1869, the church dedicated October 1870. Before the church was built services were held in the schoolhouse and afterward in the village hall. The cost of the church and site was $4,000. The first pastor, Rev. G. W. Slater.
Stockton, present pastor
Census 1920, Population 830
Census 1925, Population 817
Frank Rosecrans Supervisor
Warren D. Becker Town Clerk Roscoe Decker Overseer Poor
Lyman Alberti Justice Peace Mamie Peckham School Director
Cyril Thorington Justice Peace A. A. Disbrow School Director
William Traver Justice Peace Edmund W. Deyo Constable
Vernon Chatfield Justice Peace Floyd Decker Constable
Chas. W. Becker Collector Herbert D. Ives Constable
Jason Brandow Highway Supt Franklyn Marquit Constable
Willis G. White Assessor Charles W. Becker Constable
Charles Shoemaker Assessor
R. F. D. Route B. S. Disbrow, Carrier
Reformed (Dutch) Church
Established early in 1802 by Rev. Labaugh, who began preaching in houses and barns. He was followed by Rev. Cornelius D. Schermerhorn, under whom in 1804 a house of worship was erected.
Rev. J. D. Hopkins, present pastor.
Methodist Episcopal Church
Connected with Durham circuit 1823-34. The church was built about 1834, on land given by Colonel Pratt. First pastor, Rev. Thomas S. Barrett
Rev. Ralph S. Thorn, present pastor.
Protestant Episcopal Church
Services were held before 1843; Rev. Thomas S. Judd the first rector in charge. The church was built by Nelson Finch and consecrated Sept. 25, 1846, by the Right Rev. William Heathcote Delancey. No present pastor.
Oasis Loge, No.
119, F. & A. M.
Oasis Loge, No. 119, F. & A. M.
Organized in 1847 by Mr. Willard of Troy, N. Y., and the
following officers installed: C. K. Benham, W. M.; _____ Bouton, S. W.; _____
Scanlon, J. W. Previous to this
(1827) Aurora Lodge, F. & A. M., was instituted.
Ichabod T. Sutton, M. D., Prattsville, N. Y.
George H. Fifield O. C. Hays Chas. W. Bouton
& Cream Association
Prattsville Milk & Cream Association
E. W. Benson, President
Austin E. Hummel Secretary
Rod and Gun Club
Chas. W. Ives, President
Frank M. Layman, Secretary
Town of Windham
Census 1920, Population 1,246
Census 1925, Population 1,336
Demont L. Chase Supervisor
Henry Vining Assessor
Grant F. Morse Town Clerk B. S. Shermerhorn Overseer Poor
Geo. L Cook Justice Peace Sidney E. Payne Overseer Poor
Thomas Cryne Justice Peace E. A. Brainerd School Director
John Barlow Justice Peace G. W. Osborn Jr. School Director
J. F. Moseman Justice Peace Charles Garvey Constable
F. B. Thompson Collector Vance Fancher Constable
Frank Butts Highway Supt Howard Thompkins Constable
Roscoe W. Howard Highway Supt Daniel Deyo Constable
Julian Beers Assessor Harry Turk Constable
Hensonville (Third Class) Walter J. Pelham, Postmaster
Maplecrest (Fourth Class) S. A. Moseman, Postmaster
R. F. D. Routes
North Settlement; Old road, Brooksburgh. Starts and ends at Windham, Carrier, Donald F. Munson.
Star Route 7421; terminals, Windham and Hunter. Windham-Hunter road. Carrier, Welcome Moore.
Star Route 7422; terminals, Hensonville and Tannersville. Maplecrest-East Jewett road. Carrier, Clarence Tompkins.
Star Route 7415; terminals, Prattsville-Cairo on Mohican
Trail. Carrier Charles Alle.
H. H. Baker, Windham
Sidney L. Ford, Hensonville
Dr. W. E. Stevens, Dentist Benjamin I. Talmadge, Lawyer
Wallace M. Gill, Veterinarian
H. T. Avery, Druggist
First National Bank
Dr. S. L. Ford, President
G. Munson, Cashier
S. O. Robinson, Vice President Edward Miller, Assistant Cashier
F. A. Strong, Vice President
Seven common schools and one union free school (No. 3). No. 5 contracts with No. 3.
Windham High School
Class of 1927
Wesley Towner Frank Ryan
Harvey Brockett John Garraghan Margaret Munson
Edward Phelps William Davis Mabel Schermerhorn
Glenn Beers Elwood Hitchcock Nina Moore
Katharine Strong Arlie McGlashan Viva Jordan
Irene Clark Charles Holdridge
George Cook, Principal
Mountain Lodge, No. 529, F. & A. M.
This lodge originated in 1804 under the name of Revival
Lodge No. 117, which was instituted
in the meeting-house in Batavia, when there were present officers of the Grand
Lodge of the State of New York, among them Cadwalder Coldern. At this time
Samuel Gunn was designated Master; Thomas Benham, Senior Warden; George
Robertson, Junior Warden, IN 1807 this lodge organized under the title of
Harmony Mark Master Lodge, and in 1863 re-organized under the present title.
Geo. W. Osborn Jr., W. M.
Benjamin I. Talmadge, Secretary
Gem City Lodge, I. O. O. F.
Harry Lammond, N. G.
Arthur Sherman, Secretary
Windham Hose Company
Harold B. Moore, President
Richard G. Munson, Secretary
Hensonville Hose Company
Elbert O. Chase,
Walter J. Pelham, Secretary
Hensonville Cornet Band
George Radcliff, Jr., Secretary
John H. Hayes, Director
Benjamin I. Talmadge,
Fred M. Goslee, Secretary
Windham Public Library
Miss Margaret Osborn,
R. M. MacNaught, Secretary
Miss Hattie Coe, Librarian
First Presbyterian Church
Organized before 1800. First church raised Dec. 31, 1800;
enclosed the following year and completed in 1814. First pastor, Rev. Henry B.
In 1831 the church was divided, the eastern division building a church 2 ½ miles west east of the old one (1831), and the Center Presbyterian formed on the 29th of April, 1834, under the direction of Rev. David Porter, D. S. Present church dedicated Jan. 1, 1835. First pastor, Rev. Leonard B. Van Dyke, 1835-61.
Rev. John J.
McClelland, present pastor.
Methodist Episcopal Church.
Part of Albany circuit in 1805; of Durham circuit in
1823. Seth Crowell and Henry Stead were in charge 1805.
Rev. G. F. Wells, present pastor
Hensonville M. E. Church
Present church built in 1874; dedicated Feb. 17, 1875.
Built through the efforts of Rev. Seney Martin. Pastor in charge, Rev. H. F.
Odell. The bell was purchased by the Ladies’ Aide Society.
Rev. Harry Lammond, present pastor.
Free Methodist Church of Big Hollow
Organized June 24, 1871. Present church built in 1875
Rev. W. G.
Peterson, present pastor
Big Hollow (Maplecrest) Presbyterian Church.
Organized Dec. 10, 1822. First meeting-house burned Feb. 3, 1833; present church soon rebuilt. Erastus C. Peck assisted in building this church, hewing some of the timbers. He died in 1905, aged ninety-six years.
Lamond, present pastor.
St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church.
Dedicated Monday, July 26, 1926, by the Rt. Rev. E. F.
Gibbons of Albany. Dedication services preceded the Mass which was sung by the
Rev. R. J. Roberts, Troy, N. Y. there were twenty-five priests present.
The Bishop was assisted by the Rev. P. J. Dwyer of Philmont, and the Rev.
C. J. King of Ravena, N. Y.
Dist. No. Ashland Dist. No. Catskill
1 Edna M. Hall 1. George H. Chadwick, Principal
3 Wilma McMyne Florence Smith
4 Ada E. Smalling Marguerite L. Young
5 Alice E. Dorn Anna A. Eells
6 Catherine Morse Adelaide Lewis
Dist. No. Athens Lola F. Conklin
1 Michael A. McCall, Principal Mrs. Roy Coughtry
Elizabeth C. Slattery Anna M. Barlow
Isabelle C. Rainey Susan C. Deakin
2 John Severence, principal Florence T. White
Ethel Torgesen Henrietta Lewis
Marion Cooney Faith D. Avery
Mildred Strongman Beulah I. Timmerman
Katharine E. Widmann Elina C. Van Dyke
Gertrude Ellsworth Mary C. Timmerman
Frances P. Mangeot Katharine G. Slattery
Mrs. Marion B. Scudder Bessie R. Muller
Anna M. Ford Olive P. Kennedy
M. Blanche Smith H. May Ford
Mrs. Helen J. Wood Edna Maguire, librarian
3 Pauline Tompkins Teresa O’Shea , health nurse
4 Viva B. Clawson H. Leon Sheppard, physical director
5 Edrie Warner Eli Bartoo, agriculture
6 Elizabeth Scott
Dist. No. Cairo Alice L. Babcock, principal
1 Charles Coutant, principal Alice Ernst
Miss Crossley Anna H. Smith
Miss Davis Mabel Hughes
Miss Gurley May E. Van Valkenburgh
Mrs. Charles Coutant Pauline Davis
Leonard DuBois H. May Ford
Helen Chadderdon 2 Mrs. Verona A. Beare
2 Emily M. Dorpfeld 3 Alice E. Jones, principal
3 Ethel Ruland Virginia Blakelock
4 Albert Morrison 4 Ruth Steele
5 Ethel Bailey 5 Jessie Hevner
6 Esther H. Knapp 6 Lettie P. Holmes
7 Bessie Lee Jones 7 Ensey Bailey
8 Harlan G. Wiltse 8 Bessie C. Van Arsdal
9 Lauren M. Barker 9 Hazel Crocoll
10 Isabelle D. Lane 10 Arthur C. Lewis, principal
11 Ruth Van Hoesen Ferdina Timmerman
Julia M. Vedder Effie Bates
12 Mary O’Brien, principal 11 Ruby F. Rundell
Eva A. Dunn 12 Henrietta Morse
13 George P. Holmes 14 Contracts
15 John W. McMenamy, principal 15 Mary A. Foster
Frederick D. Johnson 16 Esther Van Tassel
Florence E. Cole Dist. No. Greenville
Elizabeth Worth 1 Harriett Spalding
2 Edna Story
Dist. No. Coxsackie 3 Harriet Wickse
1 Robert Chalone, principal 4 C. F. Kerney, principal
Mrs. Rebecca Bogardus Viola Light
Esther Barnes Cecelia Bliss
Mae Fitzgerald Alice Stevens
Mildred Campbell Mary Mabie
Rose M. Seenman Charlotte Story
Ellen Smith Helen Salley
Mrs. Alice Case Scott Ellis
Edith J. VanDenburgh 5 Alice Chesbro
Mrs. Mary Waters 6 Eva Evans
Mrs. Dudley Lyall 7 F. May Shaw
Mrs. Robbins 8 Irene Worth
Ella O’Brien 9 Contracts
Mrs. Nellie Lewis 10 Gladys Beylegaard
Viola Sabedra 11 Dorothy Irish
Miss Olmsted 12 Howard Story
Miss Hickey 13 Contracts
Mrs. Jessie Smith 14 Ruth Corley
Catherine Hotaling 15 Contracts
Josephine Cohan Dist. No. Halcott
2 Gertrude Tyron 1 Mrs. Leora Kittle
3 Mrs. Alma Simpson 2 Mary V. Griffin
4 Mrs. Bertha Hallenbeck 3 Ethel Sanford
5 Mrs. Frank K. Swartwout 4 Marjorie H. Todd
6 Jennie A. Whitbeck
7 Mrs. Beulah K. Roe Dist. No. Hunter
8 Mrs. Dorothy L. Brooks 2 John S. Woods, principal
9 Mrs. Wilema Conrad Helen L. Hann
Dist. No. Durham Mary V. Howard
2 Hannah Wheat Ada L. Purdy
3 Gertrude Murta Mrs. Ruth L. Strenk
4 Mrs. Lloyd Tompkins Mrs. Cecile Woods
5 Elizabeth Eldred 3 Doris Decker
6 Olin Haskin 4 Gladys P. Dyer, Principal
7 William A. Fox Mary Gormley
8 Mary D. Wade Agatha Flick
Dist. No. Hunter Dist. No. New Baltimore
4 James Flahive 1 Anna White
Leon M. Peters 2 Susie Cary
Muriel Prediger 4 Jessie Boyd
Mrs. Jessie Showers 5 Florence Wood
Annie Glennon 7 Lydia Smith
6 Jennie Downs 8 Lelita Mahler
7 Mrs. Miriam E. Lester 9 Contracts
8 Stewart W. Tuttle, principal 10 Caroline D. Shear
Mrs. Anna Tuttle 11 Grace Gibbs
Anne E. Stock 12 May B. Blake
Marianna Gorham 14 Hazel C. Bailey
9 Vera McLean
10 E. Delmar Smith Dist. No. Prattsville
1 Mary MacCoubrey
Dist. No. Jewett 2 Fred Russell, principal
1 Ernest F. Cole, principal Hazel V. Gregory
Vesta L. Tompkins Mrs. Dora E. Petherbridge
2 Lucile E. Woods 3 Mrs. Mary E. Peckham
3 Mrs. Hazel Wilson 4 Mrs. Katharine Bishop
4 Mrs. Dema Crosby 5 Mrs. Alta L. Hapeman
6 Nelson Griffith 6 Mrs. Nina L. Griffin
7 Mrs. Belle Cruikshank
8 Mrs. Gladys Peck Dist No. Windham
1 Dorothy Chase
Dist. No. Lexington 2 Edythe Vining
3 Margaret Dunham 3 George L. Cook, principal
4 Beulah M. Jennette Shirley D. MacNaught
5 Mrs. Alice Stiles Mildred Miller
6 Mrs. Olive Shoemaker Irene Michael
7 Mrs. Blanche Van Valkenburgh Abner Woodworth
8 Mary Bergin Raymond Moseman
9 Mrs. Iva O. Hand Alice Stevens
10 Mrs. Ruth West 4 Mary L. Duham
11 Mrs. Gladys Van Valkenburgh 6 Contracts
12 Mrs. Elsie W. Ellis 7 Alice Brandow
13 Mrs. E. Van Valkenburgh 8 Ellen MacGlashan