the Past - Research by the Windham Town Historian
Honor a Veteran Project, Part 1 - Windham's Civil War Book
a Veteran Project, Part
2 - Catskill Mountain Post No. 1545, VFW Renamed for Sgt. James F. Carty
Honor a Veteran Project, Part 3 - Windham's World War I Monument in Hensonville
Honor a Veteran Project, Part 4- Maplecrest's World War II Roll of Honor
a Veteran, Part 5 - Windham Township Honor Roll
Honor a Veteran Project, Part 6 - WAJ Roll of Honor, Graduates and Members of the Faculty
Honor a Veteran Project, Part 7 - National Bank of Windham's World War II Honor Roll Poster
by Patricia Morrow, Windham Town Historian
Originally published in the May 12, 2005, issue of the Windham Journal.
The Windham Township Honor Roll, honoring the citizens of this
community who served during World War II, was funded by private and civic
donations. It was erected on the front lawn of Windham-Ashland-Jewett Central
School where it was dedicated and unveiled on May 31, 1944.
Approximately three hundred people were in attendance as various town organizations assembled in the school building at 2 P.M., then marched into position around the Honor Roll. George W. Osborn, the Windham Town Supervisor, was Master of Ceremonies. The program opened with the audience singing the national anthem and the invocation given by Rev. William L. Comstock. This was followed by speakers Raymond L. French, Past County Commander of the American Legion, and Dr. Edwin G. Mulbury, Chairman of the Honor Roll Committee, who gave a history of the project. A musical selection by the school's ensemble and chorus, directed by Mrs. Charles Laubach, was followed by the dedicatory address given by Principal Burdette E. Woodworth. The monument was unveiled by members of the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, namely Helen Aeschbach and Margaret Newland representing the Hensonville and Windham troops respectively, and Patrick Madigan and Richard Miller of Windham Troop 51. The school orchestra, directed by Miss Althea E. Thompson, accompanied the singing of "America" and Rev. Arthur O. Stockbridge delivered the benediction.
The Honor Roll listed the following one hundred and ten names in six columns.
(Column 1) Levere Acker, Paul Finch, John Garraghan, Oscar Case, Richard Fancher, Hubert Bailey, Stanley Christman, Albert Rusk, Frank Haner, Orson Wetmore, Clinton Seeley, Dr. H. F. Weinauer, Ernest Furgason, Robert Boughter, Romaine Rusk, Elmer Munson, Earl Ostrander, Joseph Begley, Jack Fish, William Schuchman
(Column 2) Myron Hidecker, Fred Makely, Ross Spaulding, Douglass Goff, Elbert Chase, Donovan Brockett, Leslie Alberti, Sherwood Seabolt, John Ruiz, Clifford Planck, Robert Tompkins, Francis Barry, William Schwitter, Albert Hoyt, Edward Pond, Beatrice Wheat, Viola Soehl, Clifford Westley
(Column 3) John Darrin, Donovan Andrus, Elwood Morrow, Stephen Bernhard, Buell Woodworth, Thomas Hayden, Donald Crandell, Arnold Blazo, Frank Van Loan, William Spencer, Donald Bailey, John Chatfield, Stanley Burhans, Erwin Mattice, Jack Best, Edward Cocyout, Andrew Kmetz
(Column 4) Harold Hauser, Stephen Runyan, Wallace Jump, Ivan Alle, Paul Lamson, Fred Stead, Carleton Vail, Donald Finch, Clifford Andrus, James Weed, William Conley, Fred Solomon, Glenn Beers, Robert Rhoades, Joseph Gerlak, James Spencer, Leonard Barkley
(Column 5) Olive Thompson, Gerald Moseman, Raymond Lewis, Clinton Finch, James Barker, Lawrence Servis, Robert Mattice, Newton Ford, Sylvester Smith, Carl Beers, Anthony Trettle, Douglas Conine, Irving Lee, Frederick Andersen, Reginald Disbrow, Joseph Linindoll, Walter Vining, Jr., Claude Soehl
(Column 6) Thomas Haner, Robert Smith, Joseph Kapler, Franklyn Tompkins, Dorance Waterman, Victor Andersen, Conrad Colson, Gerald Schermerhorn, Clinton Drum, Joseph Valentino, Robert Rappleyea, Vincent Humphrey, Kenneth Cole, Lewis Higgins, Edward MacGlashan, Alexander Begley, S. Wallace Cammer, William Smith, Merrill Wheat, Frank Tancredi
The Windham Township Honor Roll withstood the elements for sixteen years until September of 1960 when flood waters from Hurricane Donna ripped it from the ground and carried it downstream. It was later found, damaged beyond repair, and taken to the VFW hall where the remains of this wooden sign ultimately disintegrated.
Home Table of Contents Greene County Overview Home Page