James and John Gass
From "History of Macomb Co., MI", M.A. Leeson & Co., 1882, p. 868. Transcribed by Jeanne Gorlick
James GASS, P.O. Davis, youngest son of John GASS, was born January 6,
1823, in Lexington, Greene Co., N.Y.: his father was born in 1776, and had
fourteen sons; he came to Michigan in July, 1837, bought the property of Eli
WEBSTER on Section 30, in Ray Twp., where he died December 17, 1864, aged
eighty-eight; his wife was born September 25, 1846, and died in April, 1881.
Mr. Gass, of this sketch went to Osceola, where he lived eight years, and then
settled on the northwest corner of Section 32, and bought a store in Brooklyn
(Macomb Co., MI). He married, January 25, 1843 to Veloria M., daughter of
Orsel DUDLEY, of Washington (Twp., Macomb Co., MI); they had ten
children-Belle L., born June 12, 1844, died August 17, 1864; Lucinda V., born
June 15, 1846, died September 21, 1864; Rebecca, born August 23,1848, married
Rev. Alonzo WHITCOMB and resides at L'Anse, Upper Peninsula; North, February
10, 1851, married Florence BAKER and resides in Oakland County; Victoria E.,
November 3, 1853 married Charles E. WAFFLE of Evart Osceola County: East, June
19, 1856 married Elena MILLER (also from Greene Co., N.Y.) of
Macomb; South, June 15, 1860 died May 7, 1862; Lydia L., October 16, 1863;
South West, January 15, 1866; Kitty J., June 5, 1869. The three last named
reside at home. Until the civil war, Mr. Gass was a Republican, and since then
has been a Prohibitionist; was a zealous adherent of the anti-slavery element;
he has held the positions of Constable and Treasurer a number of years past.
Mr. and Mrs. Gass are member of the M.E. Church.