John E. Lamouree
From the History of the Valley of the Hudson, River of Destiny, 1609-1930, Volume V, Biographical. Contributed by Jerry Sterrit and transcribed by Arlene Goodwin
John E. Lamouree is a member of the well known drug firm of Paret & Lamouree, Inc., conducting successful and up-to-date drug stores in Tuxedo Park and Suffern. A native of Palenville, Greene county, New York, he was born November 2, 1885, a son of Luman and Anna (Haley) Lamouree. In the paternal line is descended from French Huguenots who settled in the United States as early as 1696. The paternal grandfather of John E. Lamouree erected a woolen mill in Palenville which he owned and operated for several years. Luman Lamouree, the father, was born in Greene county in 1858 and spent the greater part of his life within its borders as an agriculturist. In 1909 he removed from Greene county to Ulster county, locating in the township of Saugerties, where he purchased a tract of seventy acres upon which he grew fine vegetables and berries, and he made his home on the place until his death in 1926. He manifested an active interest in civic affairs and for many years served as a member of the school board. His wife, Anna (Haley) Lamouree, was born near Liberty, Sullivan county, New York, in 1854, and now resides in Saugerties, this state. Their children were six in number, the eldest being Adelaide, who graduated from the State Normal School at New Paltz and is now a teacher in the public schools of New York city. She is the widow of Owen Turtle. John E., of this review, is the second in the family. Alexander is mentioned at length on another page of this work. Emma is the wife of James H. Reilly, and attorney of Catskill, New York, and is the mother of three children. Adelbert acquired a public school education and then joined the New York National Guard. During the World war period he was in training at Spartanburg, South Carolina, and in 1917 went to France with the One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, a part of the Twenty-seventh Division. On the 18th of October, 1918, while serving in the San Quentin sector, he made the supreme sacrifice for his country, and Lamouree Post, No. 96, of the American Legion, was named in his honor. Henry A. Lamouree, who completes the family, is represented in another part of this publication.
John E. Lamouree pursued his education in the public schools of Palenville and received his professional training in the College of Pharmacy of Columbia University, from which he was graduated with the degree of Ph. G. in 1907. Since 1904, when he came to Tuxedo, he has been active in the drug trade in Tuxedo Park, where he is now associated in business with his brother, Alexander Lamouree, Frank E. Paret and Frank A. Greene under the firm style of Paret & Lamouree, Inc. The partners also conduct a drug store in Suffern.
In September, 1910, Mr. Lamouree was married to Miss Mary McCreery, daughter of Joseph and Ellen (Page) McCreery, of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Mrs. Lamouree is of Scotch-Irish lineage, and by her marriage has become the mother of three children, as follows: Anna, born in 1912, who is a junior at Cornell University; Roger A., born in 1916, who is a high school student; and Clementine, born in 1920, who is also attending school.
Mr. Lamouree is an active worker in the local ranks of the republican party, now serving as town committeeman. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the Lorillard Lodge, No. 858, F. & A. M., of Tuxedo. Of which he was master in 1921. He is also affiliated with the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Orange County Society of New York city, and for sixteen years he has been a member and treasurer of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Genial and kindly, he easily makes acquaintances and throughout his home community he has won a host of warm and loyal friends.
Home Table of Contents Hudson Valley Biographies Home Page