John and Lewis Rose
Biography courteously provided by Joyce Riedinger, Delaware County Coordinator.
JOHN and LEWIS ROSE are well-know wagon-makers in the village of Hamden, where they have a firmly established trade. John Rose, the senior member of the firm, was born in 1859 in Sullivan County, New York; and Lewis Rose, the junior member, is a native of the same place. Their father, Austin Rose, who is now living in the town of Hamden, retired from agricultural pursuits, was born in Greene County, New York, in 1815, and although never possessing very vigorous bodily health, still retains the full use of his mental powers, being a bright and active man of nearly four-score years. He has been twice married.
His first wife, Harriet Carley, bore him one child, Edwin L. Rose, who, when a boy of sixteen years, enlisted in the Fifty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry (see www.56thnyvi.com/photos/thenpart4.htm) , and after the close of the war joined the band of adventurous and enterprising young men who sought their fortunes in the Black Hills. The father was also a soldier in the late Rebellion, having enlisted October 16, 1862, but, after serving a little more than a year, was discharged, coming home in December, 1863, physically disabled. The maiden name of his second wife, to whom he was married in 1857, was Harriet Haines. She was one of four children, two daughters and two sons, born to her parents, Lewis and Lucy (Congdon) Haines, neither of whom is now living. By this marriage the two sons of whom we write were the only children. In politics the father has been a life-long Democrat, and, although not in sympathy with the methods of the Prohibitionists, has never used intoxicating drinks. His wife is a consistent member of the Methodist church.
Tobias Rose, the father of Austin Rose, was for many years engaged in farming in Ulster County, removing from there to Greene County in 1819, bringing with him his wife and six children. Two more children were added to their household, and of these eight children three sons are now living. The parents subsequently returned to Ulster County where both lived until far advanced in years.
The life records of John and Lewis Rose have been very similar, both having left school at an early age to earn something toward their own support, entering the employment of J. B. Gardner at Fallsburg. Lewis began to sandpaper woodwork at the age of eight years, and to do odd chores about the shop. Two years later he was doing mechanical work, receiving twenty cents a day, and boarding at home, his brother John, who was then eleven years of age, getting twenty-five cents a day. After remaining thus employed for five years, they started out as journeymen; and from that time until the present day these sterling mechanics have worked continuously at their trade. They have been obliged to rely solely upon their own efforts, their father coming out of the army, poor, not only in health, but in purse; and the self-reliance thus early necessitated has contributed largely to their success in life. In February, 1885, Messrs. Rose bought out the business of E. B. Buckingham, and have since carried on a substantial trade in this village. They have without doubt had a wider experience in wagon-making than any other one of their years in Delaware County.
John Rose entered the matrimonial estate October 9, 1883, being then wedded to Georgiana Greif, of Delhi. Three children have been born to them, namely: Paul, who was taken away when only three months old; Gertrude E., born April 8, 1892; and Helen, born March 24, 1894. Socially, Mr. John Rose is a Knight Templar, belonging to the Norwich Commandery. He is a sincere worshipper at the Methodist church, and is superintendent of the Sunday-school. Politically, both he and his brother are stanch members of the Republican party. On November 10, 1887, Lewis Rose was married to Gertrude, daughter of John Griffin. Her father came to this country from Germany when a young man, and was here wed to Elizabeth Face, who is now a widow, and resides in Delhi.