Masonry in Cairo

FROM

1810 TO 1935

AN HISTORICAL SKETCH


 Published by Herald Press, Cairo, N.Y.


Transcribed by Scott Wichmann. Booklet in the archives of the Cairo Historical Society.


IN APPRECIATION

This printed copy of the report of the committee appointed to assemble historical data in relation to Masonry in the town of Cairo, is made available through the kindly offices of Worshipful Brother George W. Squires, who has generously provided one hundred and fifty copies for distribution to the members of Kedemah Lodge, in the hope that it may increase the interest in Masonic activities and prove of educational value.  Wilson Chadderdon, Master  

Morning Star Lodge

MASONRY IN CAIRO

 

The task of assembling historical data in reference to Masonic activities in the town of Cairo, assigned your Committee last May, though involving a considerable amount of work has proved highly interesting, and in submitting the result of our labor we offer no apology save our very limited literary fitness.

 Some might consider five months a long time to consume in gathering the few facts which are here presented, but when we tell you that our search for material carried us over a period of 134 years, and involved the reading of the minutes of more than a thousand regular and special communications of the Lodge, correspondence with the Board of General Activities of Grand Lodge, and digesting a mass of papers and letters that had been preserved in the files of Kedemah Lodge, we hope you will not charge us with undue slothfulnss. (sic)

We have attempted to record events in chronological order though you will find that in the pursuit of a particular subject we have often wandered among the years indefinitely, but the general aim has been to trace our way from 1801 to 1935 in a more or less orderly march.  Perhaps our greatest problem has been to decide whether this, or that, or some other happening should be included or omitted, and if considered of importance what value should be ascribed and whether to treat in detail or merely sketch.  One thing we definitely decided—to confine ourselves to recorded facts and when, in rare instances, we departed from this procedure every effort was made to establish the authenticity of hearsay evidence.

There had persisted a rumor that at one time a Lodge known as St. Johns existed in Cairo and we even find recorded in a history of Greene county published in 1927 a paragraph as follows:

“St. Johns Lodge, No. 196 F. & A.M..”  Organized in 1801 or 1802.  The Officers were John C. Burhans, W.M. Amos Cornwall, S.W. Rufus Byington, J.W.  Forfeited its charter during the Morgan Excitement.”

We do not like to disagree with recorded history but our investigation proves that there was at no time a regular chartered Lodge of this name or number, in Cairo.  Our proof is a letter from the Board of General Activities of Grand Lodge as follows:

            “R.W. Richard A. Austin, Cairo, New York.

Dear Brother Austin:

I am sorry to have to report no success in the search for information about St. John’s Lodge No. 196.  A careful examination of the Proceedings of Grand Lodge, 1789-1805, failed to reveal any Lodge by that name or number, or indeed any Lodge at all in either Cairo or Canton.  The Grand Lodge Warrant Book was also checked and no number as high 196 was given to any Lodge until several years after 1802.

The oldest Lodge in Greene County, as you probably know, was Freehold, No. 29, at Greenville, chartered in 1793.  The next two in your neighborhood were Friendship No. 116, at Durham, and Revival, No. 117 at Windham, both chartered in 1804.

[Haimsay Lodge No. 31 est. Catskill 1793] (hand-written note in margin)

I am sure there must be some mistake in the book in which you found your reference, or else the brethren mentioned sent in a petition and failed to receive a favorable reply.  In the latter case, it seems strange that the matter would not have been mentioned in the Proceedings.

I regret our inability to dig up more information on this subject.  I hope you will not hesitate to call upon us for any other lines of inquire along which you would like to have us make an investigation.

Fraternally yours,
(Signed)          W.K. Walker
Grand Lodge Library

Having disposed of St. Johns Lodge we come to Morning Star Lodge No. 199, the petition for which was dated August 6, 1810, designating James Gale as Master, John C. Burhans, S.W., Stephen Bentley, J.W.

The following information was furnished your Committee by the Board of General Activities of Grand Lodge.

MORNING STAR LODGE NO. 199
Cairo, Greene County

                        PETITION:     Dated: August 6th, A.L. 5810
                       
OFFICERS     James Gale, to be first Master
                                               
John C. Burhanse, Senior Warden
                                               
Stephen Bentley, Junior Warden

WARRANT

The warrant was dated December 6, 1811.

SIGNATURES                                                             James Goodrich
James Gale                                                                   Nathaniel Cooper
John C. Burhans                                                          Martin Burhans
Stephen Bentley                                                          Ebenezer Hall
Ezekiel Smith                                                              Ibzan Lacy
Alfred Munn  (?)                                                         Joseph Blackmor

RECOMMENDATIONS OF PETITION
FRIENDSHIP LODGE, NO. 116, Durham
Dated:  13 day of August, A.L. 5810

Signature:        Amos Cornwall, Master
                      
Zeno Allen, Secretary

FREEHOLD LODGE, No. 29, Greenville.
Dated:  14 day of August, A.L. 5810

  Signature:       Ashbel Stanley, Master
                               
Charles Griggs, Secretary.

ENDORSEMENTS ON PETITION

“Petition of a number of brethren to hold a Lodge at Cairo in Greene County to be called Morning Star Lodge, recommended by Freehold Lodge, No. 29”   $25.00

“5 June 1811, received and granted, Freehold Lodge having paid their dues.”

 “6 Decr. 1811.  Issued War. of this date & (sent) to W. Bro. Stanley:

 Issued *** Disp. to install Br. Stanley.”

 “No. 199.”

RETURNS

There are returns on file for the following dates:

            1811 to June 1st, 1814
           
June 1st, A.L. 5816 to June 1st, 5817:
           
June 1st, 5817 to June 1st 5818:
           
June 1st, 5818 to June 1st, 5819:
           
First day of June, 1819 to the first day of June, 1820:
           
First day of June, 1820 to first day of June 1821:
           
First day of June 5821 to the first day of June 5822:
           
First day of June 5822 to the first day of June 5823
           (1st) June 5823 to (1st) June 5824:
           
June first 5824 to June first 5825:
           
June first 5826 to June first 5827:
           
June 1st, 1828 to June 1st, 1829
           
First day of June 1829 to the first day of June 1833—being 4 years.

MEMBERSHIP

The following list of names is taken from the above returns:

John W. Welch

Ebenezer Hall

Nicholas Greene

Joseph Blackmarr

Samuel Adams

Rufus Byington

Jacob I. Bogardus

Ibsen Lacey

Luke Kirsted

Silas M. Shepherd

Alpheus Griswold

William Hubbell

Samuel Cornwall

Martin Burhans

Stephen Durfer

Ezekiel Smith

John Hendryz

Casper Dobbs

Noah Norton

David S. Schofield

Aaron Debol

William Hamilton

John Done

Lyn Peters

Daniel Mead

Samuel Dunn

Stephen Griswold

James Dedrick

Dan Campbell

John R. Osborn

Jeremiah Miller

Ira T. Day

Myron Osborn

Gilbert Yeoman

Neely Lawrence

Bennett Osborn

Judson Miner

James N.D. Mott

Daniel Morrison

Cornelius DuBois

Leman Pritchard

Hastings Castle

Standish F. Van

Seth Ten Broeck

Alexander Grandy

Ira Taylor

Thomas Bullock

Jesse Allen

Seneca Stewart

Samuel June

John G. Burger

John Walker

James F. Stotenburg

William Cowan

Oliver P. Ashley

Elisha Bishop

Hiram Comfert

Erastus Barnes

Isaac Vradenburgh

Jacob W. Nelson

John Watkins

Eleaser Miller

Pliny Barton

Stephen Jones

Asa June

Edmon T. Carbine

James Gale

Ezra H. Heney

John C. Burhans

George Meeker

Stephen Bentley

William P. Shepherd

Amos Cornwell

Isaac P. White

Elisha Blackmarr

Ezra H. Ferry

Ira Lucus

James R. Goodwin

James S. Showus

Calvin W. Hayes

William G. Mitchell

John D. Howe

Thomas Platt

Philip F. Amster

Cyrus Brainerd

George Wickes

Joshua Huftalen

John D. Hall

Zera Jenkins

John Olds

Truman H. Bagley

Thomas C. Brown

Benjamin P. Burhance

William Barker

Samuel Kirk

John Lennon

Amos Smith

Sherman Smith

David W. Taylor

Barzilla Barton

 

OFFICERS

The following are the officers for the years in which they are listed on returns and other documents:

1811, June 1—James Gale, Master; John c. Burhans, S. Warden; Stephen Bentley, J. Warden.

1814, June 1—Amos Cornwall, Master; John C. Burhans, S. Warden; Elisha Blackmarr, J. Warden;  Ebenezer Hall, Secretary; Joseph Blackmarr, Treasurer.

1817, June 1—Amos Cornwall, Master; Myron Osborn, S. Warden; William Hamilton, J. Warden; Cornelius Du Bois, Secretary, Ira T. Day, Treasurer.

1818, June 1—Rufus Byington, Master; Ira T. Day, S. Warden; Jesse Allen, J. Warden; Ibsen Lacey, Treasurer; Daniel Morrison, Secretary.

1819, June 1—Ira T. Day, Master; Erastus Burns, S. Warden; Pliny Barton, J. Warden; Elisha Bishop, Treasurer; Truman H. Bagley, Secretary.

1820, June 1—Pliny Barton, Master; Elisha Bishop, S. Warden; Truman H. Bagley, J. Warden; Benjamin P. Burhans, Secretary; Daniel Morrison, Treasurer.

1821, June 1—Elisha Bishop, Master; Jesse Allen, S. Warden; Pliny Barton, J. Warden; Truman H. Bagley, Secretary; Ira T. Day, Treasurer.

1822, June 1—Elisha Bishop, Master; Pliny Barton, S. Warden; Jacob W. Nelson, J. Warden; Truman H. Bagley, Secretary; Ira T. Day, Treasurer.

1823, June—Elisha Bishop, Master; Jesse Allen, S. Warden; Pliny Barton, J. Warden; Ira T. Day, Treasurer; T.H. Bagley, Secretary.

1924 (sic) June 1—Elisha Bishop, Master; Pliny Barton, S. Warden; Jacob W. Nelson, J. Warden; Ira T. Day, Treasurer; Truman H. Bagley, Secretary.

1825, June 1—George Wickes, Master; Ezra H. Perry, S. Warden; William P. Shepherd, J. Warden; Myron Osborn, Secretary, Ira T. Day, Treasurer.

1827, June 1—George Wickes, Master; Myron Osborn, S. Warden; Rufus Byington, J. Warden; Elisha Bishop, Treasurer; Pliny Barton, Secretary.

1829, June 1—John Lennon, Master; Benjamin P. Burhans, S. Warden; William C. Hayes, J. Warden; Elisha bishop, Treasurer, Myron Osborn, Secretary.

1833, June 1—Ira T. Day, Master; John Lennon, S. Warden; Calvin W. Hayes, J. Warden; Amos Cornwall, Treasurer; George Wickes, Secretary.

 

APPLICATION FOR CHARITY
on behalf of Jesse Allen

“Rec’d June 1, 1819.  Read in Grand Lodge June 2  $30 granted”

“To the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of the State of New York Morning Star Lodge No. 199 held at Cairo, County of Greene the fifth of May 5819 beg leave respectfully to represent that our worthy brother Jesse Allen of this place, present Junior Warden, is a cabinet maker and a young man (though he has a family) has just finished a building for a dwelling house and shop in which he had an excellent set of tools and considerable stock and some finished work on hand which included all or more than he is worth, which was consumed by fire on the eighth day of December last leaving him destitute of a home or shop or tools and as he is an industrious and prudent young man and a worthy brother we recommend him to the charitable notice of the Grand Lodge.

Approved in said Lodge and ordered to be signed by the Master and Wardens this fifth day of May, 5819.

                                                                        Rufus Byington, Master
                                                                       
Ira T. Day, S. Warden

Inquiry of Grand Lodge reveals the fact that there is no record of Morning Star Lodge having surrendered its charter, but they ceased to pay Grand Lodge dues after 1833.  The last mention of this Lodge was in the proceedings of Grand Lodge June 6, 1838, when it was listed among lodges being delinquent for five years.  There can be little doubt but that Morning Star faded during the Morgan Excitement.  Between this period and 1868 there appears to have been a suspension of Masonic labor in Cairo, but in February of that year the Craft seems to have been called from refreshment to resume their labors.  A petition for a dispensation to organize a Lodge in the town of Cairo is dated February 8, 1868, and reads as follows:

“To the M.W. Grand Lodge of the State of New York.

The undersigned petitioners being Ancient Free and Accepted Master Masons having the prosperity of the fraternity at heart and willing to exert their best endeavors to promote and diffuse the genuine principles of Masonry respectfully represent that they are desirous of forming a new Lodge in the town of Cairo to be named Cairo Lodge No. ______.  They therefore pray for letters of dispensation or a warrant of constitution to empower them to assemble as a legal Lodge to discharge the duties of Masonry in a regular and constitutional manner according to the original forms of the order and the regulations of the Grand Lodge.  They have nominated and do recommend brother Elias L. Dutcher to be the first Master, Brother Egbert Yeomans to be the first Senior Warden and Brother Edward Adams to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge if the prayer of the petition shall be granted, they promise a strict conformity to the constitution laws and regulations of the Grand Lodge.

            Cairo, February 8th, 1868

Names of Charter Members.

            Elias L. Dutcher of Catskill Lodge No. 468

            Egbert Yeomans, Catskill Lodge 468

            Edward Adams, Catskill Lodge 468

            Benj. H. Waldron, Catskill Lodge 468

            Luke Roe, Catskill Lodge 468

            Seymour Adams, Catskill Lodge 468

            Zanoni Beckwith, Catskill Lodge 468

            Edwin Lennon, Catskill Lodge 468

            George Dedrick, Catskill Lodge 468

            David S. Eckler, Catskill Lodge 468

            John Story, Catskill Lodge 468

            J.S. Miller, Mountain Lodge 529

            Elijah H. Utter, Downsville Dodge No. 464

            Thomas L. Wood, Cascade Lodge No. 427

            Noah B. Wood, James M. Austin Lodge No. 557

            Wm. W. Rider, Catskill Lodge No. 468

(A photostatic copy of the above was attached to the original report of the committee and is held in the archives of the Lodge.)

The following note was attached to the petition:

“To the Hon. James Gibson, M. W. G. M. of the F. A. & A. M. of the State of New York

“This is to certify that not having paid up my dues and getting my receipt from Ulster Lodge I hereby withdraw my name from the petition.

C.I. Elmendorf

Dated Cairo Nov. 20 A. L. 5868.”

The name of C.I. Elmendorf was accordingly crossed out in the original petition.

The recommendation of Catskill Lodge No. 468 is shown as follows:

“At a regular communication of Catskill Lodge No. 468 F. & A. M. held at St. Johns Hall on Thursday evening, February 20 A. L. 5868 it was unanimously resolved to recommend that the foregoing petition be granted and such recommendation is cheerfully given.

Witness our hands and seal of the Lodge this 22’ day of February A. L. 5868

                        A. M. Osborn, W. M.

                        James Becker, Secretary Pro tem.”

Endorsed upon the folded petition was the following:

                                    “Petition & papers
                                   
accompanying
                                   
for a new Lodge at
                                   
Cairo Greene County

                                    ---------------------------

                                    Petition granted except the
                                   
name.  Call the new Lodge
                                   
Gera, or Kedemah
                                   
Or Hareth Lodge and
                                   
issue a dispensation
                                   
on payment of the
                                   
fee to G. L.
                                   
Dec. 28, 1868

                                    James Gibson
                                               
G. M.”

From the foregoing it will be noticed that in approving the petition for dispensation the Grand Master did not approve the name “Cairo” but submitted for the choice of the brethren three names, Gera, Hareth and Kedemah, of which Kedmah (sic), meaning “Eastward,” was chosen.  This answers the oft asked question “Where in the world did the name Kedemah come from and what does it mean?”  By consulting your Bible, you will learn further that Kedemah was the 13th son of Ishmael, who was the son of Abraham.  We owe a debt of gratitude to those brethren of ’69 for, had they chosen the name of Gera we would be compelled to say that the meaning was a bean, or had they chosen Hareth, it would have been indefinite for in 1st Samuel 22-5 we read, “Then David departed and came into the forest of Hareth,” which is the only mention of Hareth in the bible, and we would still be in the woods.

The dispensation signed by M. W. James Gibson, Grand Master, and attested by James M. Austin, Grand Secretary, was dated January 19, 1869, and the first regular meeting for organization was held on January 30, 1869.

            An excerpt from the minutes of this communication reads as follows:

            “Kedemah Lodge No. 693 of the most ancient and honorable fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons, organized as a regular Lodge of Master Masons January 30, 1869.

The Most Worshipful James Gibson, Grand Master of Masons of the State of New York, attested by James M. Austin, Secretary, under the seal of the Grand Lodge of the State of New York and the private seal of the most worshipful Grand Master, James Gibson.  And the said James Gibson nominated and appointed our worthy and beloved brother Elias L. Dutcher, Worshipful Master; Egbert Yeomans, Senior Warden; Edward Adams, Junior Warden of said Lodge.

And said Kedemah Lodge at a regular meeting held at their Lodge Rooms St. John’s Hall, Saturday evening of the third day of January, 1869, did nominate and elect the following officers:

                        Secretary, Luke Roe;

                        Treasurer, Seymour Adams;

                        Senior Deacon, J.S. Miller;

                        Junior Deacon, B.H. Waldron;

                        Senior Master of Ceremonies, Z. Beckwith;

                        Junior Master of Ceremonies, Thomas Wood;

                        Tyler, Edwin M. Lennon.

The following brethren present:  Wood, Eckler and Utter.

Lodge opened in due and ancient form on the third degree of masonry.

On motion, resolved that we be governed by the By-laws of Catskill Lodge, except the initiation fee and time of regular meetings.

On motion, Resolved that out initiation fee be twenty dollars and presentation fee ten dollars.

On motion, resolved that Luke Roe, B. Waldron, and S. Adams be a committee to prepare room.

Closed in due and ancient form.”

According to these minutes, the first meeting was held in, “Their Lodge Room, St. John’s Hall”, but nothing definite is included as to the location of the building.  Our information is that it was a room in the easterly portion of the original Walters Hotel.  The minutes of a later meeting confirm this by noting that a bill from A.L. & F.G. Walters for one years rental was ordered paid, the amount being $25.

It might be of interest to note that the petitioners were from five different Lodges, one of which was located in Delaware County and that the occupations of the several brethren were as follows:  nine farmers, two manufacturers, two mechanics, one physician, one hotel keeper and one conductor on horse drawn street cars.

The first petitions for membership were presented at the regular communication held February sixth and were George W. Mead, Jr., Francis G. Walters, Edward Pidsley, Daniel P. Tremain, Fred H. Ford, Henry Steele, Solomon Christian and Augustus Hill, sixteen others being received at subsequent meetings previous to receiving the charter in the Summer of the same year.  The first initiation was on February 20, 1869, when George W. Mead, Jr., F. G. Walters and Henry Steel were made Masons in due and ancient form.  The first work in the second degree was on March 13th, when A. Hill, George Wickes and Edward Pidsley were passed to the degree of Fellowcraft, and at a special communication held March 26th, A. Hill, George W. Mead Jr., and Henry Steele were the first three to be raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason in Kedemah Lodge under dispensation.  The first recorded visitor was J. M. Webber from James M. Austin Lodge, on February 13th.  The first affiliate was Reuben W. Greene from New Jerusalem Lodge No. 9, Washington, D. C., February 27th.  The first rejection noted was March 13th and there were four other rejections under dispensation.  How busy the brethren of those early days must have been to complete the work of organization, receive and act upon 29 petitions, confer the three degrees on 24 candidates, secure and furnish rooms and transact other business of the Lodge in the short space of four months.

The Lodge was duly chartered on June 5th, 1869, and on August 7th, 1869, the officers were installed, or as the minutes say, consecrated, by Deputy Grand Lecturer, Hiram Edgerton of Franklin Lodge No. 562, located at Franklin, New York, which at that time was a part of the 8th Masonic district comprising the counties of Delaware, Ulster, Greene and Schoharie.  For so important an event the minutes are very meager.  They simply give the names of the officers which had served under dispensation and announced the appointment of Bro. Edward Pidsley as Chaplain.  Among the facts gleaned from reading the minutes of those early years, we learn that the first furniture purchased was, as it should be, the Holy Bible, which remained on the Altar of the Lodge until October 17th, 1908 and is still one of its treasured relics.  At that time Bro. Thomas L. Wood, presented a new one which served the craft until April 15th, 1933, when the beautiful volume now in use was presented the Lodge by Right Worshipful John B. Earl, on the occasion of his home coming visit.

The first charity appeal was received from Mountain Lodge No. 529, October 16th, 1869, for aid of one of its members and on November 6th, the committee to solicit funds reported that they had received $26.00, which was ordered remitted to the Secretary of Mountain Lodge.

On April 15th, 1871, a stove was purchased for the munificent sum of $2.00.  How they managed to keep ward through the winter is not explained.  The Jewels and staves were purchased some time during the year 1871 and are the ones in use to-night.  The first waiver of jurisdiction appears in minutes of February 25th, 1871, and was granted to James M. Austin Lodge to confer the degrees on Moses M. Palmer.  The first dimit was issued to Bro. Pidsley, May 13th, 1871.

 On May 28, 1870, at a regular communication, two brothers were passed to the degree of Fellowcraft and raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason.  There is no evidence that a dispensation was asked for or received.  Presumably the brethren did not worry too much about a little matter of the constitution as the same procedure was followed on another brother in October, 1871.  Believing in the melancholy fact that as soon as we begin to live we begin to die, the Master on January 13th, 1872, appointed a committee to “procure necessaries for funerals.”  The first reported death recorded was that of Bro. R. H. Greene in November of the same year.  On April 13th, 1872, the present meeting nights were established.  The hours of meeting at that time were stated as 8 P. M. from April first to October first and 7 P. M. for the remainder of the year.  Trouble began early in 1873, meeting became irregular, discontent with quarters appeared and the rent was paid by a resolution to “cancel the dues of Walters Brothers for each year whilst using these rooms free from rent.”

However, these matters seem to have been adjusted for later in the year the Lodge rented rooms of Walters Bros. for a period of 7 years at an annual rental of $70.00 per year.  Although the minutes do not definitely state the fact, it seems safe to say that this was the time that we moved into the Lodge rooms on the third floor of the old Walters Hotel which were until the erection of the present temple.  At the end of this year, 1873, the Lodge purchased new furniture, the purchase price being raised by subscription.  The chairs which still grace the officers stations were bought of B. W. Wooster, 81-83 South Pearl Street, Albany, New York, for the sum of sixty dollars.  The bills for this furniture are still in our files.  Strange as it may seem (?) the Lodge again appears to have been short of money in 0874, as we find that the Secretary announced at a special meeting August 15th, that an entertainment would be given on Saturday next to raise funds.  This is the first mention of raising money by entertainment.

            We believe that the beginning of what established a record for lapsed time between conferring the three degrees of Masonry marked the events of 1874.  On April 4th of that year Brother Levi Betts received his first degree and on May 2nd was passed to the degree of Fellowcraft.  Now began a long period of preparation to receive the sublime degree of Master Mason which was conferred on February 1st, 1902.  Just why twenty-eight years was required in the preparation the records fails to state.  It may have been to make suitable proficiency in the preceding degree, or as one of the brethren remarked, it may have been to learn to subdue his passions,--act on the square, keep a tongue of good report et cetera.

            Up to this point you have been burdened with a considerable wealth of detail which, however, seemed necessary from an historical angle.  From 1875 only the high lights will appear, largely a chronicle of events and happenings in more or less tabular form.

1875

May 15            Five dollars voted to “Dedication Funds,” Twenty-third Street Temple.

Oct. 2              On motion the brethren of James M. Austin were invited to “use our Lodge rooms while their Lodge rooms were in building.”

1876

July 1               Hard times had been knocking at the door early in the year and money had been advanced by Bro. A. Hill to pay Grand Lodge dues.  Repaid at this time.

1877

June 3              First regular Summer recess established.

Sept. 1             That Secretaries are subject to brain storms is shown by the fact that the minutes of that date were entered twice on the same page of the record book.

Nov. 17           Twenty-five dollars voted toward funeral expenses of a brother.

1878 and 1879 uneventful

1880

Mar. 6              A very peculiar incident—on that date the sum of $16.25 was voted to Bro. J. N. Smith, A Fellowcraft, for services as Tyler.  On April 17th this Brother was raised.  The historians
                         have solved the problem of how a Fellowcraft could receive wages of a Master Mason, but do not publish the result.

Dec. 4              On that date Wor. Bro. N. H. Griffin, of fragrant memory, was raised.  His zeal and attachment to the Lodge meant much through the years.

1881

Mar. 5              Committee appointed to solicit subscriptions for purchase of organ.  Later organ was bought of Thomas Bros. for the sum of $80.00.  Evidently the subscriptions did not come in an
                         avalanche for on May 7th, the committee reported that they had received $10.50.

Sept. 26           Lodge “in full regalia” attended Memorial services in the M. E. Church,” in honor of our Brother James A. Garfield, late President of the UnitedStates.  Wor. Master read the funeral
                        services for the house or church.

1882

Mar. 4              It appears that the Lodge gave Masonic burial to a Brother who had been suspended for non-payment of dues, whether by oversight or design is not recorded.  Evidently some one
                         questioned the procedure as a resolution was presented later stating in the preamble that failure to pay his dues was because of mental and physical disability and not willful
                         neglect and that dues were subsequently paid.

1883

Jan. 6               Motion made to surrender the charter.  Laid on table until next communication.  Action on the matter was postponed at subsequent communications until finally on April 7th “on
                         motion of Bro. Darby the former question of surrendering the charter be rejected:  carried.”

                        In the meantime a committee had been appointed to inquire into the financial and fraternal aspects of the subject.  The report of this committee was a masterpiece.  Their careful and
                        diplomatic analysis of the troubles leading up to the motion to surrended (sic) the charter and the recommendations and admonitions to the brethren are applicable to-day.              
           
            Therefore it is made a part of this sketch.

“To the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren of Kedemah Lodge No. 693.

The Committee to whom was referred the subject under the motion to surrender the charter of this Lodge to the Grand Lodge by whom it was organized and also to report a history of the Lodge from its commencement, the amount of money received by the Lodge and expended, the number of members received, suspended or dimitted, together with the reasons, if any, why we should at this time surrender the charter and allow the name of Kedemah Lodge, No. 693 to become a thing of the past.

“In entering upon the discharge of this duty your committee can but recognize the importance of the duty they have to perform, first as to the duty we owe to the great body of Masons throughout the world into whose fellowship we have been admitted and become members of, and if for any reason or fault of our own we cannot maintain and continue, we have proved ourselves unworthy of the trust committed to our care.  Secondly, if we have asked for and received a charter for a Lodge here located, maintained and carried on for fourteen years and now must be given up and disbanded for any wrong doing or want of that Masonic principle which is alone the true support of such institutions, then are we recreant to the trust reposed in us and are no longer worthy of that trust.  With these few prefatory remarks we present before you the result of our labors.

“Kedemah Lodge No. 693 received its dispensation on the 19th day of January, 1869 and its’ charter on the 5th day of June, 1869, and its first report to the Grand Lodge, May first, 1869, shows 38 Master Masons.

The report on May first, 1870, 46 Master Masons, 2 F. C.

The report on May first, 1871, 54 Master Masons, 1 F. C. 1 E. A.

The report on May first, 1872, 62 Master Masons.

The report on May first, 1873, 64 Master Masons.

The report on May first, 1874, 68 Master Masons, 2 F. C.

The report on May first, 1875, 73 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1876, 72 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1877, blank

The report on May first, 1878, 74 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1879, 64 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1880, 63 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1881, 59 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1882, 61 Master Masons, 1 F. C.

The report on May first, 1883, blank  

“There has been in the 14 years of its existence, eight brothers removed by death, nineteen by indefinite suspension of whom one has been restored to membership.  There were 16 charter members, 5 members have been received by affiliation, 69 by initiation, a total of 90 members that have belonged to this Lodge since its organization.

The cost of maintaining this Lodge since its organization, paid in for initiation and dues, has been about or nearly $2900.00, the furnishing of the room about $250.00, exclusive of the organ which was purchased mainly by voluntary subscription to the amount of $80.00, making in all $3230.00 that has been expended for the benefit of this Lodge.  Financially, the Lodge stands as follows:

There is due on the books

$79.00

Cash in Treasurer’s hands

25.00

 

$104.00

Indebtedness

None

Dues not good

22.00

Balance

$82.00

“There has been lost to the Lodge by non-payment of dues Dec. 1, 1882, $143.75 and we have paid to the Grand Lodge about $90.00 for dues of defaulting members, making virtually a loss of $234.75, showing conclusively that no small Lodge can afford to carry any able member that does not pay promptly his dues and your committee would recommend that all delinquent member able to pay be summarially (sic) dealt with, that the Lodge may be financially sustained.

“As to the consideration of the question of surrendering the charter of this Lodge, your committee have endeavored to ascertain all the facts that might have any bearing upon the question in the affirmative and have by consultation with the members sought to find all and every reason that might go to show that it was best at this time to adopt the resolution as offered.  From these consultations and conversations with the brethren of the Lodge we find that the Lodge is masonically at a very low ebb, and we find the cause thereof to be:  First, that the members allow themselves to lose all interest in the Lodge for reasons so insignificant that your committee do not deem them worthy of mention here.  Second, that some absent themselves because they or the person of their choice is not elected an officer of the Lodge, this like the first, totally wrong and entirely unmasonic and tending to disturb the harmony and well doing of the Lodge.  Third, that there is the want of that perfect harmony, brotherly love, upright, manly, Masonic conduct that should ever be the rule and action of each one while members of this Masonic Lodge.  Fourth, that there is a want or lack of that true Masonic principle that should dwell in the breast of every mason and upon which each and every one has been received into this Masonic fraternity, pledged upon their honor as a man and their sacred obligation at the altar of free masonry.  Fifth, that we find that there is too much neglect of the little Masonic courtesies and etiquette among the brothers our of the regular communications of the Lodge; that the obligations of caution and secrecy are too lightly held by the brethren much to the injury of the prosperity of the Lodge.

That these embody about the substance of the reasons given by the different members of the Lodge with whom your committee has consulted and it can easily be seen by this that it is from the want of Masonic principle and virtue.

And we also find that it is the almost unanimous with of all the members consulted that the Lodge could be maintained in all that Masonic purity that can alone make it a Masonic Lodge as intended and as only it can be maintained.

Your committee would most respectfully recommend that: 

1st.  The brothers should be often instructed in Masonic law and principles, their duty as masons, in and out of the Lodge, and taught that it is not all of masonry to be initiated.

2nd.  That all causes that disturb the harmony and well being of the Lodge be removed at once and at any and whatever cost.

3rd.  That if these recommendations and precepts are truly and faithfully entered into and carried out to their full intent and meaning that if each and every member of this Lodge act well and truly his part in sustaining and maintaining the Lodge in all its Masonic purity, it can be sustained.  If not, then will come discomfiture, ruin and desolation to Kedemah Lodge.

4th.  Your committee would finally recommend that we as a Lodge and as members of honor enter anew upon the work set before us, seeking first the aid of that Great Architect to whom we have been taught to always look in all our undertakings and that we humbly bow to his will and teachings; that we remove one by one all the errors of out building that we may renew the structure and that every stone, pillar, column and part may again be put together, bound and cemented with brotherly love that shall remain until time shall be no more.”

                                                                                    E. E. Darby
                                                                                   
A. W. Patrie
                                                                                   
Fred H. Ford
                                                                                   
R. W. Greene
                                                                                   
J. B. Webster
                                                                                                           
Committee

As a sort of sequel to the whole charter discussion we find that on December 1st, one brother was granted a demit to Hudson Lodge No. 7, and six brethren were dropped from the rolls at their own request.

1884

Nothing of great interest, some brethren reinstated and a few dropped for non-payment of dues.

1885

Jan. 3               Again the need of funds became pressing as the minutes record a vote of thanks to Walters Bros. for free use of rooms for one year.

1886

April 3             A contribution of $10.00 to the Hall and Asylum fund was raised by subscription.

Nov. 7             Sold organ for fifty dollars.

1887

Apr. 18            Committee appointed to dispose of organ.  Evidently the same “instrument sold in the previous year, must have been a little off key.”

1888

                        This year witnessed the return of some of the brethren who left the Lodge in Y. D. (year of dissension).  In this year were raised two Masons still living, one Bro. Willard Story, since
                        demitted, and the other our own Wor.
Bro. Frank D. Cole, our most travelled member who has the distinction of having presided as Master of a Lodge in Edmonton, Canada.

1889

Apr. 24            Kedemah Lodge joined with James M. Austin Lodge and Catskill Lodge in church services at the Cairo Presbyterian Church.  The address was given by Rev. and Bro. J. Palmer.

May 4              The church, speaker and sexton were voted substantial thanks and the address given to Greenville Local, Catskill Examiner and The Recorder, for publication.

1890

                        Contribution of $5.00 to Gilboa Lodge, No. 650, to aid in rebuilding their Lodge rooms.

1891

Jan. 3               $11.50 voted for relief of widow of deceased brother.

Mar. 21            Sent communication to Grand Secretary that “We would be represented by delegation at the laying of the Corner Stone of the Home at Utica, on May 18th.”  No record of who
                         attended the ceremony.

Nov. 23           Contributed $2.00 for relief of a brother of Russell Lodge, No. 566, at Ravena.

1892

May 7              First visitation of D. D. G. M. to the Lodge when R. W. W. A. Wasson was received.  It might be of interest to note that the Lodge was at that time a part of the 11th District,
                         comprising the Counties of Greene, Schoharie, and Delaware.

Dec. 17            Contributed $2.00 to Cheedwick Lodge, No. 68, of Logville City, Oregon.  Purpose not given.

1893

June 17            A set of working tools presented by Wor. Bro. John K. Palen, Master of the Lodge, which have since remained in use.

                        In this year the Lodge had 43 members, several of whom resided in other jurisdictions and the trouble to find sufficient material for the various officers may be imagined by noting
                        that a brother raised on March 18th, was elected Junior Warden in December of the same year.

1894 and 1895

                        Nothing of interest.

1896

Apr. 4              Bro. James Post began his services as secretary.  Bro. Post served in this office altogether for 18 years, a longer period than any other secretary of the Lodge.  During this year the first
                         and only Masonic trial on charges of un-masonic conduct against a Bro. was held and resulted in expulsion.

1897

                        Uneventful

1898

Jan. 17             Bro. Henry B. Whitcomb presented the Lodge with a new membership register.

1899

Sept. 16           A petition was received for consent to the organization of a Lodge at Athens, which consent was given but for some reason no Lodge was organized.

1900

                        Without incident.

1901

May 18            Wor. Bro. Elias L. Dutcher, who was the first Master of the Lodge, presented a Masters’ gavel, which was afterward broken by some Masters over enthusiastic demand for order, or
                         possibly a loud “Be Gone.”  The remnant is in use to-night.

Sept. 21           Rev. and Bro. Philip Germond, Presiding Elder of the Kingston district, visited the Lodge, served as Chaplain and delivered a “beautiful tribute to the memory of our late Bro.
                         William McKinley, President of the United States.”  By an edict of the Grand Master the altar was draped for a period of 60 days.

1902

Apr. 5              Wor. Bro. E. L. Dutcher presented a group picture of three of the officers of the Lodge in 1870 and ’71.

Dec. 6              At a regular communication only two of the duly elected and appointed officers were present.

1903 and 1904

                        Nothing of special interest.

1905

Oct. 7              A contribution from the brethren present was made to Daniel D. Tompkins Memorial fund.  You will recall that this distinguished member of the Craft was Vice-President of the
                        United States, Governor of the State of New York and Grand Master.  Those who have visited the home at Utica will remember the beautiful Daniel D. Tompkins Memorial Chapel.

                        In this year the Lodge was honored by the appointment of one of its members R. W. Richard A. Austin, as D. D. G. M.  Later the Lodge presented R. W. Bro. Austin with a beautiful
                        jewel of the office.

1906 and 1907

                        Lacking in historical events.

1908

Oct. 17          Bro. Thomas L. Wood presented the Lodge with an altar Bible.

1909

Jan. 16             The matter of purchasing a site for a Masonic Temple was brought up for discussion and a committee appointed to secure data to be presented at a later communication.  At this
                         communication a committee was also appointed to institute proceedings for incorporation of the Lodge and on March 20th, the committee reported that the Lodge was duly
                         incorporated under the Benevolent Orders law.

                        Evidently no suitable site within our means was immediately available for nothing seems to have been done during 1910.

1911

May 20            Discussion in regard to purchasing the Sayre lot resulted in a resolution to purchase, if the Lodge, after being duly summoned approved.  A committee was appointed to enter into
                         negotiations with the owner.  This committee reported at the next June 3 regular communication that the lot could be bought for $600.00, and on motion the trustees were instructed
                         to close the deal as soon as possible. Thus was taken the first active step in the acquisition of the present temple.

Oct. 21             Bro. H. S. Olmsted reported for the trustees that the deed for the lot had been signed and the purchase price paid.

1912

Feb. 17            A motion prevailed that the Master appoint a committee of three and that the past Masters of the Lodge act in an advisory capacity and in conjunction with the trustees.  Wor. Master
                         appointed Gaston Wynkoop, G. A. Story and W. H. Freese as a building committee.  The Past Masters, comprising the advisory committee were R. W. Bro. R. A. Austin,
                         Worshipfuls John H. Cammer, N. H. Griffin, Frank D. Cole, Floyd F. Jones and Wm. H. McGregor.  The trustees were Bros. H. S. Olmsted, Lysander Lennon and J. H. Cammer.

Apr. 20            The trustees by unanimous vote of the Lodge were authorized to issue bonds not to exceed the sum of $6,000.00 and secure the same by a mortgage on the land and building to be
                         erected thereon.

June 1              H. S. Olmsted was named treasurer of the building fund.

June 15            A vote of thanks was extended to Wor. Bro. Howard C. Wilbur of Catskill Lodge No. 468 for his services in all legal matters pertaining to the incorporation of the Lodge and
                         preparing all necessary papers in relation to the mortgage and bond issue.  For all this work Wor. Bro. Wilbur refused any compensation and his generosity was deeply appreciated
                         by the brethren.

Oct. 5              Wor. Master appointed Bros. W. C. Van Dyck, R. A. Austin and J. M. Allerton a committee to prepare papers, etc. to be deposited in the corner stone.  This stone was of granite and
                         donated by Bros. A. L. and F. G. Walters.

Dec. 7              The committee reported the completion of their work which was accepted by the Lodge, but unfortunately, we cannot find the copy of this report which enumerated the various
                         items deposited.

1913

                        Early in 1913 the temple was completed at an approximate cash outlay of $8,000.00.  Many of the brethren contributed by their labor in the excavation for the basement and assisting
                        in other parts of the work.  Six thousand dollars represented the proceeds from sale of bonds.  Thirteen hundred dollars was borrowed on a note of the Lodge and the balance was
                       
raised by voluntary contributions from the brethren.  At this time the Lodge had 91 members and it is quite evident that they must have been efficient workers as well as liberal
                        contributors.  Credit should also be given to Cairo Chapter, No. 380, Order of Eastern Star, who rendered valuable assistance.

Feb. 15            On this date the first class of candidates was raised in the new building. They were Bros. Clarence Phinney, Lucius Lennon, L. Gerald Blandin and Samuel E. Cozine Jr..  Dedication
                         services was (sic) announced to be held March 13th, and various committees were appointed to complete arrangements.

Mar. 1              Bro. Louis A. Miller presented the Lodge with a beautiful set of gavels, turned by his industrious hands.

Mar. 13            And no came the great event—the dedication—honored by the presence of the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Charles Smith, who conducted the ceremony.  An account of the
                         proceedings was published in the Cairo Herald of March 20th, which is made a part of this sketch.

                        From the Cairo Herald of March 20, 1913.

                        The Masonic Hall Dedication,

                        “ A long to be remembered event in Masonic circles took place on Thursday evening of last week, (Mar. 13) the occasion being the dedication of the new Masonic Hall.  That it
                         would be possible to get the Grand Master to come to Cairo for the occasion was at first doubted, but in response to a request he made it known that he would be very glad to come
                         and dedicate this new Hall which had been erected by Master Masons.

                        Not only was the Grand Master present but most of the Grand Lodge Officers as well.

                        The ceremonies were opened by the Grand Marshall, announcing from the East, that the Grand Master and his staff were about to enter the Lodge. Then the Grand Master, M. W.
                        Chas. Smith of Oneonta, assisted by Deputy Grand Master R. W. J. W. Feeter and R. W. Geo W. Vedder acting Senior Grand Warden.

                        R. W. William J. Thompson, Junior Grand Warden,

                        R. W. F. S. Craley, Junior Grand Deacon.

                        R. W. R. A. Austin, acting Grand Treasurer.

                        R. W. W. A. Wasson, acting Grand Secretary.

                        R. W. Isaac E. Cole, Grand Sword Bearer

                        R. W. J. McElroy, Grand Tyler.

                        R. W. Edward Fethers, Grand Marshall.

                        Bro. Octavius Edgelow, acting Grand Chaplain.

                        R. W. Ira B. Kerr, R. W. J. H. Sanford, R. W. Arthur Hart, Past District Deputy Grand Masters, entered the Lodge and took their respective stations and places.

                        The W. M., Geo. M. White, in a few well chosen words welcomed the Grand Master to Cairo, who responded in a very nice manner, counting it a pleasure to be present at the
                        dedication.

                        The dedication ceremony—the offering of corn, wine and oil, though simple, was very impressive and was listened to very attentively by the 150 Masons present.

                         Following the grand honors at the conclusion, R. W. R. a. Austin in a short but well worded speech presented the Grand Master with a silver mounted gavel, made 40 years ago,                          from a part of the deck rail of the U. S.F. Constitution.

                         The Grand Master responding, said that he had received many presents and momentoes on similar occasions, but this one with such a history attached would be prized above all
                         others.

                         Nearly all the founders of our country were Masons.  The father of his country, George Washington, was a Mason, as was Gen’l. Warren and Paul Revere, and the Boston Tea Party
                         was composed of Masons, the Continental Congress was composed entirely of Masons.  Therefore the gavel made from wood of the old Constitution was indeed a gift worthy to be
                         preserved.

                         D. D. G. M. J. W. Feeter then made his address, holding the attention of everyone for nearly a half hour.  In addition to the dedication, this was to be his official visit.

                         After the Grand Marshall had proclaimed from the S. W. & E. that the building had been dedicated to Masonic principles, adjournment was made to the public hall below, there an
                         agreeable surprise awaited them.\ The ladies of the Eastern Star were present and served an excellent buffet  luncheon.

Apr. 19            “Worshipful Brother N. H. Griffin, on behalf of Mrs. Fannie Palen, in an eloquent address presented to Kedemah Lodge a beautiful desk in memory of her late husband, Past Master
                         John K. Palen.”  This desk bearing a plate suitably inscribed has since that date been the Secretary’s desk for which purpose it was designated by the donor.

1914

Oct. 13             Brother Arthur Story acting for Wor. Fred Sutton of Mosaic Lodge of  New York City, presented to Kedemah Lodge a rough and perfect Ashlar, (See them in the East), which were
                         accepted on behalf of the Lodge by Wr. Master W. H. Freese.

1915

Feb. 20            The third degree was conferred on a class of candidates by the officers of Catskill Lodge, No. 468, in their beautiful dramatic ceremony.

1916—1917

                        Routine Work.

1918

Feb. 15            The letter “G” was placed in the East, and as no bills were presented for the work it must have been donated, but by whom we find no record.

May 18            By resolution the Lodge room was turned over to the Red Cross for a meeting and work room during the Summer recess.

1919

Oct. 4              The Lodge went into business by taking over the management of moving pictures and Wor. Bro. George W. Squires was appointer (sic) as manager

Nov. 11           At a special meeting the bronze tablet gracing the Eastern wall of the Lodge was unveiled.  This tablet was a gift to the Lodge from Bros. C. P. Byington and R. A. Austin.  On it are
                         inscribed the names of the members and sons of members who served in the World War.

                          Bro. Henry Chadderdon presented the Lodge with the American flag which covered the casket of his departed son, our Brother Joseph P. Chadderdon who lost his life in an
                          explosion of an oil tank, on the U. S. Submarine chaser, N. 297, in San Deigo Bay, California.  This flag reposes in a frame in the West.

Nov. 15           An occasion of interest—financial interest—to the Lodge was observed when each of the following brethren donated one bond to be cancelled:  James Feeney, R. A. Austin, C. P.
                         Byington, G. C. Bower and George M. White, thus reducing the indebtedness by $500.00, and providing a saving in interest to maturity of $800.00.

1920—1921

                        Uneventful.

Oct. 22             The Lodge voted a contribution to the fund being subscribed for the Memorial Fountain to be placed at the junction of Main Street and Jerome Avenue.  A member of this Lodge,
                         Bro. Ira T. Tolley, gave the site on which this was erected.

Now we skip to 1925

Mar. 21            The practice of presenting bibles to all initiates was put into effect and has been followed since that time.  The first presentation was to Entered Apprentice Seldon H. Elliott.

May 2              An event of more than passing interest occurred at this communication which was designated “Past Masters Night,” when in addition to the usual honors paid to the “has beens”
                         each living Past Master was presented with a Bible bearing on the fly leaf the names of candidates raised during his' administration.  Since this date each retiring Master has
                         similarly been presented with a bible.

1928

Feb. 18            The Lodge received an invitation from James M. Austin Lodge to pay' them a fraternal visit and confer the Fellowcraft degree.  The invitationwas accepted.  At this meeting also
                         Bro. Joseph J. Richards presented the' Lodge with the beautiful engraved picture of Washington at Valley Forge, which hangs in the East.  This picture of the Father of his Country
                         in the attitude of prayer is said to be the most entrancing likeness of that great man and Mason.

1929

Dec. 7              The third degree was conferred on a candidate by the officers officers (sic) of James M. Austin Lodge.  Their masterly dramatization of the second section was greatly appreciated.

1930

July 7               The Lodge was called upon, on this date, to mourn the loss of its last charter member in the death of Bro. Edward Adams, thus severing the final tie linking the Lodge of 1869 with
                         the Lodge of 1930.

Oct. 4             The Master announced that Wor. Bro. John B. Earl had been appointed Assistant Grand Lecturer of the Greene-Ulster district, an office which he held for two years with great honor 
                        to the Lodge and with pleasure and profit to the Craft,

                        Kedemah Lodge has apparently always been rather vigorous in the use of gavels for at this communication Wor. Bro. H. Edmund Brous, presented another set of beautifully turned
                        gavels, which have so far withstood the onslaught of time and use and still issue their call to labor and refreshment.

1931

Feb. 21            That none might plead ignorance, our worthy Bro. William Carman presented the Lodge with a history of Free Masonry in seven large                                         
                        
volumes, handsomely bound in leather.

Apr. 18            The Wor. Master accepted on behalf of the Lodge a very nice bookcase, the gift of Wor. Bro. John B. Earl

1932

                        In June, 1932, the Grand Master appointed Wor. Bro. John B. Earl, Dist. Dep. Grand Master of the Greene-Ulster district, an appointment that met with the hearty approval of every
                        Lodge in the district.  Kedemah Lodge is very proud of the honor of having furnished the Grand Master with this very able and distinguished representative in the district.  On 
                        October 4th at a communication attended by a large number of notables from various parts of the district the Lodge presented R. W. Bro. Earl with an apron indicative of the high 
                        office which he was destined to fill with such signal honor and ability.  On the occasion of his “Home Coming” there was present in the temple one of the largest and most
                        distinguished gatherings in our history, representing every Lodge in the district and Right Worshipfuls from the first and second Columbia-Dutchess and Otsego- Schoharie
                        districts.  As a token of the high esteem which he was held in the Greene-Ulster district, R. W. Bro. Earl was presented with a valuable gold watch suitably engraved.  It was on this
                        occasion that T. W. Bro. Earl presented the Lodge with the Bible which now rests on our altar and to which reference was made in an earlier part of this history.

1933—1934—1935

Uneventful historically.

                        Since Kedemah Lodge was instituted the following brethren have served as Masters:

Elias L. Dutcher, 1869—’70—’71—’72—’77; Augustus Hill 1873—’74—’78; George Wicks, 1875; Egbert Youmans, 1876; Albert W. Patrie, 1879—’80—’81; John H. Cammer, 1882—’83—’85—’86—’87—’88— ’89—’90—’91—’92 and 1906; Reuben Greene, 1884; John K. Palen, 1893—’94; Frank D. Cole, 1895-’96—’97—1904; Nelson H. Griffin, 1898—’99-1900; Richard A. Austin, 1901—’02—’03—’05; Floyd F. Jones, 1907—’08—’09; George W. Squires 1910-’11; George M. White, 1912—’13; William H. Freese, 1914—’15; Willard E. Van Dyck, 1916—’17; George A. Story, 1918; Walter P. Jones, 1919; John A. Cryer, 1920; Geo. W. Van Buren, 1921; Guy E. Meddaugh, 1922; Ralph T. Story, 1923; Alfred C. Webster, 1924; John B. Earl, 1925; Herbert Bogardus, 1926; Leroy W. Scofield, 1927; Herbert E. Knapp, 1928; H. Edmund Brous, 1929; William K. Hobart, 1930; Floyd H. Sutton, 1931; Rey E. Persons, 1932; Lester H. Story, 1933; Lucius Lennon, 1934; Wilson Chadderdon, 1935.

 Of the 34 who have been thus honored, 24 are now living, the oldest in point of service as well as years is our well loved Wor. Bro. Frank D. Cole, and the youngest both in years and service is Wor. Bro. Wilson Chadderdon, who still graces the East.

DISRICT DEPUTY GRAND MASTERS

                        The Lodge has furnished two Dist. Dep. Grand Masters:

                        R. W. Bro. Richard A. Austin—1905—‘06

                        R. W. Bro. John B. Earl—1932—‘33

In the pursuit of its labor your committee found many items which though interesting did not seem of sufficient historical importance to include in a paper of this scope, and they are aware that their lack of facility of expression has poorly served to give to the work the value it deserves.  It is their hope that some day surer hands, keener minds, and better masters of orderly composition may produce a history worthy of a place in the archives of the Lodge.

In conclusion, Kedemah Lodge is proud of the fact that in the sixty-six years of its existence there has always existed the most cordial fraternal relations with its sister Lodges.  This is especially true of the two Lodges whose jurisdictions are most closely touched, Catskill, No. 468, and James M. Austin, Mo. 557.  While Catskill Lodge must always be affectionately referred to as our Mother Lodge, having provided the majority of the brethren petitioning for a dispensation to erect a lodge at Cairo, James M. Austin, No. 557, is revered as a sort of stepmother or older sister.  In our early history there was scarcely a communication at which brethren from one or both of these Lodges were not present and their generous aid in the work, their loyal devotion to our needs, their kind advice and gently guiding hand furnished the inspiration to carry on, to uphold the traditions of the Craft, and to practice those virtues which are the foundation of the fraternity.  Let it be here recorded that, while not unmindful of the generous help and encouragement of the brethren of others, these two Lodges will ever hold a warm place in our affectionate fraternal regard.

                                                            Respectfully submitted by:

                                                                                    RICHARD A. AUSTIN,
                                                                                   
HERMAN E. STORY,
                                                                                   
THOMAS F. HATFIELD

                                                                                                            Committee

ROLL OF MEMBERS

*Elias L. Dutcher

*John S. Allen

*Egbert Yeomans

*G. C. Wicks

*Edward Adams

*Charles Dedrick

*Benjamin H. Waldron

*L. S. Brown

*Seymour Adams

*Lorenzo F. Stoddard

*Luke Roe

*Johnathan B. Webster

*Zanoni Beckwith

*Horace E. Stoddard

*Edwin M. Lennon

*Charles E. Fancher

*George Dederick

*John H. Cammer

*David S. Eckler

*James T. Meddaugh

*John Story

*Daniel W. Jennings

*J. S. Miller

*James H. Holdridge

*Elijah H. Utter

*John Guthrie

*Thomas L. Wood

*Nathaniel W. Mead

*Noah B. Wood

*Lancing S. Roe

*William w. Rider

*Fillmore Scott

*Reuben W. Greene

*William H. Brandow

*George W. Mead, Jr.

*George Lake

*Francis G. Walters

*P. Burnett Oakley

*Henry Steele

*E. P. Thomas

*Augustus Hill

*Isaac S. Howard

*Daniel P. Tremain

*Felix Miller

*George Wickes

*George Daniels

*Edward Pidsley

*William H. Plank

*Solomon Christian

*Milo Weeks

*Edwin E. darby

*Abram W. Traver

*Dennis M. Stewart

*Jacob Brandow

*John A. Mower

*Frank Feeney

*Levi K. Byington

*Levi Betts

*Robert Bridgen

*Hiram Bogardus

*Martin Smith

*Abram McCleary

*Ambrose L. Walters

*Albertus Becker

*Alvin B. Felt

*Frank T. Cochran

*Ambrose Timmerman

*Charles W. Carter

*John Lampman

*Henry D. Cornell

*Albert W. Patrie

*Eugene Carter

*Oliver Schermerhorn

  Alzemora B. Stevens

*Paul Raeder

*Jerome Thorne

*Robert H. Greene

*J. L. G. Ketcham

*Frederick H. Ford

*James N. Smith

*Joseph Earl

*Zadoc A. Pratt

*George H. Noble

*J. Leroy Jacobs

*John H. Stewart

*Nelson H. Griffin

*Henry B. Whitcomb

*Sherwood Dean

  Frank S. Decker

  Harvey S. Olmsted

*Edward C. Stevens

  F. Irving Turner

*Samuel B. Doty

  Burdette Whitcomb

*William B. Hoose

*C. Percival Johnson

*Elmer E. Snyder

*Edward Guest

*John H. Jerome

  William H. Freese

  Willard B. Story

  Jasper M. Allerton

  Frank D. Cole

*Lean Willsey

*John K. Palen

  James Clark Spaulding, Jr.

*William Charles Grubb

  Herbert John Butler

*Edwin U. Cammer

*Claude J. Goff

*Willis J. Olmsted

  Charles Arthur Dann

*Frank D. Sutton

*Lamont B. Miller

*Lewis H. Denton

*Edgar Armond Haines

*Loren J. Hubbard

*Willard C. Van Dyck

*James J. Russ

  Harol C. Harmon

*O. S. Evory

  Edward S. Freese

*Thomas H. Morrison

  Charles D. Van Orden

*Levi DuBois

  Samuel E. Cozine

  Richard A. Austin

*Sidney Marion Cole

*Arthur J. Lock

  William R. Longman

  Will E. Howard

  John Lind

  Floyd f. Jones

*Albert C. Schermerhorn

*Christopher C. Lock

  Harry Thomas Avery

*Levi Lawton

*George Arthur Story

*Preston Dayton

  Ralph T. Story

  Johnson Smith

*Luman B. King

  James P. Post

  Newman Finch

*John S. Alden

  Germaine Allerton

*John C. Hotailing

  William N. Anderson

*Gaston Wynkoop

  Peter C. Christensen

  George W. Squires

  Charles V. Story

  Frank T. Greene

  Herbert B. Hallock

*Harry B. Chown

*Charles H. Losee

  Lyle B. Honeyford

*Lysander Lennon

  Ulyses G. Warren

*James Feeney

  Alelbert C. Youmans

  George M. White

  G. Calvin Bower

*Adolphus Schleiermacher

  Henry Chadderdon

  Oswald H. Mortensen

*Cassius P. Byington

  Leroy W. Scofield

  James G. Simpson

  John W. Fiero, Jr.

  Louis A. Miller

  Egbert B. Meddaugh

*William H. Hayes

*William H. MacGregor

  Leon Edward Gray

  Andrew P. Freese

*James Douglas

  Walter Peck Jones

  Neil William Avery

*Frederick J. Zinck

  Michael A. Lembo

  Barney W. Freleigh

*Edwin Gomez

  William A. Brous

  Kenneth C. McElman

  John F. Whitman

  Andrew Jackson Jones

  Harry J. Fenwick

*Octavius Edgelow

  Floyd W. Simpkins

  Guy E. Meddaugh

  George B. Arnold

*Clarence S. Phinney

  James A. Bonesteel

  Lucius Lennon

  Frank G. Jacobs

  Llewellyn G. Blandin

  Seymour W. Haines

  Samuel E. Cozine, Jr.

  Mose Deyo

  Herbert Bogardus

  Herbert E. Knapp

  Herbert Antus

  Elliott A. Jones

  Harold W. Calder

  Horace Edmond Brous

*Francis H. VanVechten

  Harry E. Stammer

  Alfred C. Webster

*Newman Van Tassel

  Charles J. Ulrich

  Ray E. Persons

  John J. Calder

  Elmer E. West

  John  A. Cryer

  John H. Chadderdon

  Raymond D. French

  Frank Dorpfeld

  Louis H. Prigge

  Raymond W. Webster

  Dwight E. Webster

  Edward A. Bingel

  Edwin H. Huntington

  Fred Volker

  Floyd B. Whitebread

*Charles Muller

  George W. Van Buren

  Floyd H. Sutton

  Robert L. Jones

  Howard J. Allen

*Francis Arostegue

  Walter G. Peterman

  William L. Reed

  John T. Williams

*Ira T. Tolley

  Henry Doll

  George Makeley White

  William K. Hobart

  Vernon Titus

  Frederick W. Spohler

  Oscar Scheinen

  Oscar Bogardus

  Wallace Chadderdon

  A. R. Graves

  John B. Earl

  Harry E. Levers

*Joel M. Austin

  Lester H. Story

*Joseph P. Chadderdon

  Clinton M. Story

  Howard N. Lewis

  William Carman

  John Davis

*William I. Ralyea

*William H. Cole

  Floyd J. Webster

  James W. Webster

  Joseph P. Francel

  Norman M. Howard

*Seldon H. Elliott

  Leland S. Slater

  Frederick W. Dorpfeld

  Foster L. Ostrander

  Harry C. Emens

  Elliott W. Mangam

  Louis DeLuca

  Charles H. Hilts

  Percy J. Overbaugh

  Harry E. Morrison

  Edward T. Morrison

  George H. Holdridge

  H. L. Graves

  Martin L. Lawrence

  Lloyd Wood Simpkins

  Frederick G. Spohler

  Herman Zingerman

  Edward L. Bingel

  Russell R. Colton

  Joseph L. Wittman

  Louis Preston Miller

  Joseph J. Richards

  Paul C. Mothes

  Wilson Chadderdon

  Floyd H. Fox

  John Hatfield

  Heber Milton Chadderdon

  Chester A. Canniff

  Herman E. Story

  Thomas F. Hatfield

  Myers H. Butler

  Eugene Hatfield

  Harry Fritz

  George A. Cole

 

*Deceased


  Home            Table of Contents            Civil Records Home Page