Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Outline History Of The
Methodist Episcopal Church
Of
Catskill, N. Y.

And Embracing
A Complete List of Officers, Committees, Leaders and
Members to the Present
Catskill, N. Y.

"The Examiner" Steam Print, 1886


Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin from the original pamphlet located at the Catskill Public Library. This history covers the years 1800-1886. For the history of the church from 1887-1946 click here.


Introductory

Dear Friends:

In submitting this little Book to you we wish to say, first—

This is our Church, and because it is such we trust it may incite not only to a true appreciation of this work, but that you also may feel more energy and zeal in building the walls of Zion and in helping to make other valuable pages of history—pages perhaps that may be read when our probation here has expired and we have entered through the gates to praise before the throne, and the "glory of the Lord is upon us."

The Society is indebted to the Rev. Edmund Lewis, our former pastor, and to the Rev. Alfred Coons, now laboring with us, for valuable facts and services.

The committee recommend the study of you Class membership; and we say to every brother or sister in Christ, rally around your Leader by a faithful attendance upon this means of Grace.

F. A. Gallt, Orliff Heath,  Alfred Wardle,  Committee.


History of the Methodist Episcopal Church Of Catskill

The earliest record of which we have any account shows that "Freeborn Garrettson, in 1788, assisted by twelve young men, commenced his gospel labors in the State of New York. On Thursday, May 18, 1789, Conference met in New York. John Crawford was received on trial and appointed to Coeymans Patent, having a membership of ten whites." After much discouragement he found a private house opened to him for a preaching place and here laid the foundation of Methodism in this section of country. Rev. John Crawford was so successful that in 1791 a stone church was built at Coeymans. This church became the head centre of what was known as Coeymans Patent circuit, and then as Albany circuit. From this church Methodism branched out in its influences and in some way, unknown to us, reached Catskill about the commencement of the present century. The first mention we have in the records of the Albany circuit is in 1806, when a class is reported at Catskill with Aurie Ferguson as leader. The first record of anything paid for the support of the Gospel is at the Quarterly Conference held at the Stone Church, April 30, 1806, Aurie Ferguson, 50 cents. After this Catskill is regularly mentioned as a preaching place on Coeymans and Albany circuits down to 1823, from which time our own records furnish us quite a complete history.

From 1806 to 1819 Catskill was connected with Albany circuit, when it became a part of Coeymans circuit. During this period Dr. Thomas S. Barrett, an English Methodist local preacher and physician, made Catskill his home and engaged in wool carding and dyeing in the old building that still stands on the corner of Main street and Cooke’s alley. He seems to have been full of zeal for God and Methodism, for tradition says that immediately on his arrival in Catskill he sought a place to preach, and that this first sermon was in the Protestant Episcopal church of Catskill. After this the lower story of the Court House was procured as a preaching place. There were no partitions than as now, the whole South-East half being one large room without ornament or seats—the latter were provided by the society, and this place was, until 1823, probably, the place where Methodist services were held.

February 19, 1823, a meeting of the trustees is recorded as held in the regular place of worship, which doubtless was the Court House. The trustees were Ira Winans, Caleb Elmer, Daniel H. Sands, Mills Shortman, and John Hicks. They classified themselves, elected president, secretary and treasurer, and attended to an item of business amounting to seventeen shillings and seven pence. The probabilities are that this meeting was held shortly after the organization of the board, and that the end in view was the purchase of a lot and the erection of a church.

On the 13th of April of this year Richard Field deeded to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Catskill, N. Y., for the consideration of one hundred dollars, a lot on Thomson street nearly opposite the entrance to the public school building. The deed was recorded in the Greene County Clerk’s office, in Book H of Deeds, page 97, between the tenth and seventeenth of April, 1824. On this lot was a small school house which was called "The Academy," and which henceforth was used for the double purpose of school house and a place in which the social and business meetings of the church were held. Early in 1824 the talk about building a church began to take form, and at a meeting held March 17, Caleb Elmer was duly authorized to circulate a subscription for the purpose of raising money to build, and was allowed "a reasonable compensation for his time."

At a meeting held July 19, 1824, a committee consisting of Caleb Elmer, Curtis Graham and William Adams was appointed to purchase five feet more of land of Peter Bogardus, and to procure material for foundation and cause the same to be built. This committee purchased the five feet on July 27th 1824, for $37.50, the deed for which is recorded in Book H, page 225.

In July of this year a contract was made with Messrs. Thayer & Sherman for a building 34 x 44 feet, with 14 feet posts. It was to be erected, enclosed, prepared for lathing, baseboards down and without seats, pulpit or ornaments, to cost $660.

The contract of Messrs. Thayer & Sherman was completed early in December, the plastering done, and Mr. B. Gidions—to whom the contract had been awarded—had completed "a stoop" in front. The church was now without seats, and the same Mr. Gidions was employed to make side pews, which, with the seats that had been made for use in the Court House, it was decided to make answer their needs. With this small church and the school house in the rear, separated from it by a narrow alley, and an indebtedness of $600, the young and feeble society entered upon the second era of its history. The school house was hired for school purposes and was also used for social and business meetings. The trustees at this time were Whiting Race, John S. Walcot, Isaac Rugar, Seth Jones, Caleb Elmer and Curtis Graham. Whiting Race was secretary, and the records left by him are written in a beautiful hand and reveal careful business habits. During the building of the church—in 1823-4—Rev. Bradley Selleck was preacher in charge, but as he naturally resided in Albany and his labors were spread over a wide field, he probably gave the new enterprise but little personal attention.

The indebtedness was a constant source of embarrassment, so that in November, 1829, there was put forth an effort to reduce it as much as possible. There was probably a sufficient amount raised to relieve the immediate embarrassment, but of the success of the effort we are not positively informed. Through all these years revivals of religion were of frequent occurrence. Protracted meetings were held much of the time through the Fall and Winter months; sometimes they were carried on for weeks without the presence of the preacher. These meetings resulted in the conversion of many souls, some of whom remained to swell the ranks of the society, while others went to add numbers and spiritual life to churches in other denominations.

In 1831 Catskill and Saugerties became a circuit with J. Tackabury and D. Poor as preachers. The next year there were three, and the third and fourth years there were four preachers on this circuit.

In 1834 it was found that the funded and floating debt was accumulating and had increased to $557. Systematic effort was again put forth and the result was that the floating debt of $107 was paid.

In 1835 Catskill and Durham circuit was formed with Daniel I. Wright and P. Cook as preachers. This circuit included all of the preaching places between Catskill and Durham and those naturally counted with them. The successive preachers were: 1836, Daniel I. Wright and W. C. Hoyt; 1837, J. M. Pease and W. C. Hoyt; 1838, D. Devinne and A. C. Felds; 1839, D. Devinne and W. F. Gould; 1840, W. F. Collins and F. W. Sizer; 1841, W. F. Collins and W. Bloomer; 1842, O. G. Hedstrom, W. Bloomer and R. H. Bloomer; 1843, J. D. Bouton and R. H. Bloomer. At the end of this year the work was again narrowed and Catskill became the head centre of the work, and the convenient home of the itinerant preacher.

In 1836 Mr. Alfred Foote made his home in Catskill and immediately identified himself with the small and struggling Methodist Episcopal Church. He was then a young man of 24 years and had been but recently converted. He was a good singer and was placed at the head of the choir, which place he occupied until his death in May, 1884. He was possessed of good business habits and was wisely made, as soon as possible, a member of the board of trustees. It was at this time discovered that the board was not a legally organized body, and hence a certificate was filed in the county clerk’s office and other steps were taken to legalize the board. The accounts of the church were carefully audited and new business principles seemed to apply to the care of the church. We are not so informed in the record, but suspect that much was due to the zeal and business habits of young Alfred Foote. At this time J. M. Pease was preacher in charge of Catskill and Durham circuits. W. C. Hoyt and P. Cook were assistants.

Strange as it may seem to us, early in 1837 this struggling society solemnly resolved to put doors on their pews, which they did at an expense of $55, and then proceeded to rent them for $116. This renting of the pews was happily abandoned at the end of two years. In 1828 a brother Weed was employed as sexton for $5 a year, and the next year the amount is reported paid. We are not informed how long this was continued, but probably the responsibility of the care of the church was distributed among the brethren until 1837, when a contract was made with George B. Kelsey, one of the trustees, to perform the duties of sexton of the church for the consideration of $20 per year. This arrangement seems to have lasted only a year or two, for in 1839 they were without a sexton and hired a woman (Catharine Van Hoesen) to clean the lamps and sweep the church for 25 cents a week.

On the 11th of September, 1839, the Protestant Episcopal church of the village was destroyed by fire, and in the absence of the preacher, Rev. D. Devinne, and Mr. Thomas Reed who was secretary of the board of trustees, the officiary of the church assembled, and in a resolution expressed their sympathy for the members of that church in their loss and tendered "to them the occupancy of our house of worship on each Lord’s Day, and if desired, on other occasions for the purpose of celebrating Divine worship according to the ritual of said church." The invitation was concurred in by the pastor and gratefully accepted. For about a year the Episcopal rector occupied the pulpit morning and evening, and the Methodist Episcopal minister in the afternoon. This was also the first centennial of Methodism. On the 12th of May, 1739, the foundation of the first Methodist church in the world was laid with prayers and songs of praise at Bristol, England. It was recommended that the event be celebrated by paying church debts, repairing property and establishing funds for the more earnest prosecution of church work. Catskill Methodists determined to celebrate this centennial by the payment of their indebtedness, which, through all the years, had been a source of much perplexity and embarrassment. The accounts were carefully audited and found to amount to $690.85. This included a mortgage of $450 held by brother Jolly, of Coeymans, on which there was five years’ interest due.

On the evening of July 10th, 1839, a series of resolutions was passed which indicated that there was some question as to the ability of the church to raise money, but careful plans were laid and systematic effort was put forth, the result of which was full of encouragement. On Thursday evening, October 25, of this year, there was held what was called to discuss the financial condition of the church, and with hearts aglow with the influences of the Love Feast, they resolved to put forth effort to pay the entire indebtedness and proceeded to devise a plan for the prompt execution of their resolution.

The pastor, Rev. D. Devinne, and brother Elmer, were requested to visit New York, Brooklyn, Hudson, Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Newburgh, Rhinebeck, Albany and Troy as soon as possible, and to write to any place or persons from whom it seemed possible to get money. Sisters Hester Gale Reed and Almeda Kellogg were commended in a resolution "for their most efficient services in procuring subscriptions and collecting money," and they were "affectionately and earnestly requested to continue their efforts not only on the West side of the creek but also throughout the village and vicinity." The pastor and chairman of the meeting were, however, to see the principal men in the village, and the chairman was to visit "Brother Jolly," the holder of the mortgage, and secure, if possible, some reduction from him. The school building needed some repairs, but it was resolved that no money be expended on this, but that the brethren divide among themselves the responsibility of each doing something, gratuitously, toward making this comfortable for the winter. The committee that waited on brother Jolly found him willing to settle the mortgage, which amounted to $607.50 for $300, which was done, and a vote of thanks for this great liberality to the church was entered on the records and a copy forwarded to him.

The financial effort proved a success and makes the first centennial of Methodism a bright spot in the history of the Catskill M. E. church. It was in this year that Benjamin Wiltse came to Catskill to engage in the foundry business. He was an enterprising young business man, had been converted and was an earnest worker and an official member of the M. E. church of Hudson. He was kindly invited to unite with some one of the more prominent churches of the village, but he frankly acknowledged his preference for the Methodist Episcopal church and unhesitatingly cast his lot with it, weak and struggling though it was. He helped to free it from debt as soon as opportunity offered, accepted a position in the official board, and has remained a steadfast pillar and one of its most liberal supporters for 45 years.

It took some time to collect the subscriptions that had been made to relieve the church of debt. Twelve dollars in bad money had been taken, one of the collectors had loaned a like amount and it could not be recovered, but financial relief had come and little if any embarrassment occurred again in the history of the church.

In the Spring of 1844 Catskill circuit was formed from parts of Coeymans, and Catskill and Durham circuits and manned by William Bloomer and John Davy. This circuit embraced Catskill, Cauterskill, Sandy Plains, Cairo, Woodstock, Cairo Four Corners, Coxsackie Landing, Collyer’s Class, Baltimore Corners, Union Corners, Old Greenville, Greenville Centre and Athens. The amount raised in all these appointments for pastors and presiding elder was $853.50, viz: for presiding elder, Valentine Buck, $47; William Bloomer, preacher in charge, $427; John Dorsy, the junior preacher, $379. Of this sum Catskill was apportioned $160, and had preaching at 2 o’clock in the afternoon of every Sunday. The amount paid the pastors at this time included $130 for house rent, and causes us to wonder how they could keep their horses and provide for their families on such a meager income, but their expenses were much less than they would be now because of the lower prices of supplies. Their salaries were supplemented by liberal donations and they were of necessity much of their time from home and the guests of member and parishioners; hence, it is probable that they lived about as well as the average of the people to whom they preached and ministered.

In 1845 the anti-rent troubles in this and the adjacent counties were at their height. There were to these troubles the law and order side, and beyond this those principles of justice and Divine right which lie back of and above human law. Some good men believe that certain conditions and circumstances justify revolution and rebellion. So some good conscientious Christian men upheld the anti-rent movement as appears for the record of the Quarterly Conference of this year, held October 18. The presiding elder, Rev. Valentine Buck, brought from Prattsville Quarterly Conference the following resolution, in which they asked the Catskill Quarterly Conference to concur: "Resolved, that we are opposed, and most decidedly, to such manifestations of lawless outrage as have for some time disturbed this and adjacent counties, and are prepared to co-operate in the administration of our discipline to discountenance them in any member of our church." This resolution was lost by six voting against it and only four for it.

The same year we have the first talk of a new church, a talk that did not take form until about twenty years after. In a meeting held October 26, 1845, we find the following: "Whereas, Mitchell Sanford, Esq., has offered to pledge himself in the sum of $1,500 for the purpose of building a M. E. church in the village of Catskill. Therefore, Resolved, that if the said $1,500 be raised by the said Sanford, that the trustees will feel themselves authorized to purchase a lot and to build the said church." The resolution was adopted by the meeting, but of it we have nothing further.

In 1846 Valentine Buck was the presiding elder and Eben S. Hubbell and Abram Davis were the preachers. Catskill and Coxsackie were then the head centres of the circuit, each paying $155 per year for the support of the preachers and presiding elder, and had service of the preacher every alternate Sunday afternoon. The responsibility for raising the amount of the preacher’s salary rested on the leaders, who were Alfred Foote, B. Ruland and C. Stewart.

In 1848 Stephen Martindale became presiding elder and Philip Hoyt and Samuel G. Stevens preachers. Catskill and Coxsackie each advanced $5 on their promise to pay toward the support of the preachers, and the Quarterly Conference added $25 on motion of Alfred Foote to their allowance.

We have no definite information as to the time when the Methodist Episcopal Sunday School was organized. It was probably about 1840. Tradition says the first superintendent was Mr. Andrews. The first Sunday School report was made to the Quarterly Conference in 1845, in which eleven teachers, thirty-one scholars, and two hundred volumes in the library are reported. Three years later Catskill reported fifty scholars and three hundred and fifty volumes in the library. In 1849 the preachers were William C. Smith, John K. Still and Thomas Smith. In 1850 W. C. Smith and John C. Chatterton were the preachers. Brother Chatterton was a good preacher and bid fair to be a useful man, but from ill health was obliged to leave the ministry, and afterward became a disciple of Emanuel Swedenborg. The exhorters at this time were B. Ruland and Nathaniel Kipp.

In 1852 Catskill had grown to such importance as to seek separation from the large circuit with which it was connected. The request was not granted as asked, but Catskill and Coxsackie, High Hill and Leeds were formed into a circuit, with Revs. James Birch and William Hale for preachers. Catskill raised $200 a year for the support of the gospel and Coxsackie $350, and every report seems to indicate about this ratio of difference between the two places. The circuit was supplied with two preachers, one making his home in Coxsackie and the other in Catskill. In 1854 the Rev. T. Ellis, who lived in Coxsackie, reported two Sunday Schools in successful operation, one in Coxsackie and the other in High Hill, and that they intended to keep them open through the Winter. Previous to this the Sunday Schools had only held their sessions during the Summer months.

From 1854 to 1860 but little of interest transpired, except that in 1855, Catskill, Leeds and Sandy Plains were formed into a circuit. Rev. Thomas Lodge being preacher, it was doubtless the result of his efforts.

The preachers for a period were, in 1856, J. W. Macomber; 1857, William Stevens; 1858-9, C. M. Eggleston; 1860-61, James Birch, he being the only man, as minister, who has served Catskill church for two terms; 1862-3, O. P. Matthews; 1864-5, L. I. Ferguson.

The society had grown to the feeling that a new church was needed, and the village was informally canvassed over and over again for a suitable lot on which to build. That occupied was too small and could not well be enlarged, and the location on the hill-side was so unfavorable for teams that the propriety of moving the site seemed beyond controversy.

In an official meeting held March 26, 1862, it was stated that a legacy of $1,000, left by Mr. A. Wicks, deceased, was about to be paid over, and in due form it was decided to offer that amount to the heirs of Dr. Greene for the lot near the head of Main street known as the "Greene lot." This offer was accepted with the condition that they should occupy the premises until the first of the following May and then have the privilege of removing the building from it. This acceptance brought things to a crisis, so when the first trustees met on the 30th of June, 1862, to take final action in regard to the premises, S. B. Ahreet and B. Wiltse voted in the negative, Alfred Foote and John B. Foote in the affirmative. H. L. Jennings was in the chair, and having the casting vote gave it with the affirmative, and the lot was purchased. There is no further record of a meeting until April 14, 1863, when arrangements were made to circulate subscriptions and procure plans for immediate operations. The five trustees were the building committee, and to them were added the pastor, Rev. O. P. Matthews, R. Ferrier and John Clow.

B. Wiltse, R. Ferrier and J. B. Foote were appointed a committee to visit New York city, consult architects and examine churches in order to secure a plan. Under the direction of Orange Judd, Esq., they visited a church at Flushing, Long Island, and returned home with so favorable a report, that Mr. William G. Van Loan was sent to take measurements and drew a plan substantially after that church. This plan, with a few modifications, was adopted October 1, 1863.

The contract for mason-work was awarded to L. S. & Wm. Smith for $3,700, and the carpenter-work to William G. Van Loan. The contract for the mason-work of the lecture-room was given to L. S. & Wm. Smith for $618, and John Clow was authorized to do the carpenter-work and bring in his bill. There were bills for grading, building front wall and fence, frescoing, painting and furnishing, in all amounting to about $12,000. About one year was occupied in building, so that on the 10th day of November, 1864, the church for which the society had waited with fond anticipation was dedicated by Bishop Simpson. Rev. J. B. Wakely was present, and as the bishop was late, he began the service, and was in the midst of the service when the bishop arrived. The bishop preached in the afternoon from Romans 14-7, "none of us liveth to himself." In the evening Rev. R. S. Foster preached from  Genesis, 49-10, "The sceptre shall not depart from Judah nor a lawgiver from between his feet until Shilo come." Efforts were put forth to free the new church from indebtedness, but without avail. The old church and lot were sold to Mr. Hiram Bogardus for $1,155, the deed of which sale is recorded in Book, 64, page 227, in the county clerk’s office, but the trustees were compelled to give a mortgage of $2,500 on the church.

Two years later occurred the centenary of American Methodism, and it was decided to celebrate the occasion by the purchase of a parsonage. After due deliberation a contract was closed February 1, 1867, with Mr. Francis Sayre, by which the present parsonage was purchased for the moderate sum of $2,000. The house was enlarged to its present capacity and convenience during the pastorate of Rev. J. K. Wardle.

Until 1864 Catskill was joined with High Hill and had preaching only in the afternoon and evening, but at this date it was a "station," and Rev. S. I. Ferguson being pastor, it soon established regular morning and evening preaching.

The opening of the new church was the introduction of the third era in the history of Catskill Methodism. The minister grew in favor, the congregation increased, and during the Winter of 1867-7 there occurred a blessed revival, during which many were brought into the church.

In the Spring of 1867 Rev. Z. N. Lewis was appointed to Catskill. During his ministry and Albany "Praying Band" visited the church, but their visit was not followed by a general revival interest.

In 1870 Rev. J. Millard became the pastor. The indebtedness on the church had now increased to about $5,000. It had been a constant source of annoyance, so the pastor and people heroically determined that it should be canceled. The effort proved entirely successful.

In 1873 Rev. George Clarke became the pastor. He was genial and fraternal and entered heartily into an arrangement for a union revival meeting. The result was that many were gathered into the different churches.

In 1876 Rev. Thomas Lamon became the pastor, and the record of his faithfulness and the purity of his character as a minister and a man lingers in the memory of all who knew him.

In 1879 Rev. J. K. Wardle was appointed to Catskill. He was a good preacher and an earnest worker. Under his ministry many young persons were converted, and, as before stated, much needed improvements were made to the parsonage.

As the Conference of 1882 drew near a disposition was manifest to ask for the return of Rev. George Clark. Those who had the matter in charge supposed the disposition on the part of the people was unanimous, and accordingly sent a formal invitation to Mr. Clark to become pastor. This was accepted, but as an opposition was developed, Rev. Edmund Lewis was sent in his stead. Though many were disappointed in not having an old friend they gave the appointed pastor a hearty welcome and put forth united effort to aid him in making his ministry among them a success.

During the first year about $1,000 were spent in improvements on the parsonage and church. Those on the latter consisted in rebuilding the front fence, building a massive bank wall on the North-west side of the church, painting the front and building rear and side board fences and some little work in the interior of the church.

In April, 1883, the young men of the church organized themselves into a "Young Men’s Christian Association of the Catskill Methodist Episcopal Church." They asked and obtained permission to hold a prayer meeting an hour before Sunday evening service, and met in the lecture room, socially, and sought to attract to themselves other young men. They soon felt the need of a room more neat and attractive in which to meet, and asked of the trustees and pastor the privilege of raising a subscription of one hundred dollars or more and spend it upon a carpet, chairs, etc., for the old lecture room. When they had secured the needed amount and were about to cut their carpets and otherwise proceed with their improvements, the feeling in favor of a new lecture room had so increased that they were requested to wait until its reality and depth might be tested in an official meeting. Accordingly a meeting was called for June 11, 1883. At this meeting it was, on motion, resolved "that it is the sense of the meeting that we build a new lecture room, provided the report of the committee on plans be accepted." Some plans which had been prepared were rejected, and on motion of D. C. Mull, John B. Halcott, of Albany, was employed to draw up plans for a one-story building, and include in the plan a place for a pipe organ in the rear of the pulpit. The plans and specifications were duly drawn and placed in the hands of the different contractors for estimates. At a meeting of the full board, held on the 27th of August, 1883, J. H. Van Gelder offered resolution "that it is the sense of this official meeting that the church trustees be instructed to proceed immediately to build a new lecture room according to the plans and specifications already adopted." This resolution was adopted and the trustees, in a day or two, met and proceeded to open the bids for the contract. That of William Ruland was $3,175, or $25 below either of the other two, and to him the contract was awarded. Early in September the work of tearing down and excavating was commenced, and after the first Sunday in November the church was vacated, it was supposed for two weeks, and the pastor given a vacation for the length of time.

The Athenaeum Society, which had been in existence about two years and had accumulated about $800, arranged to purchase the organ, contracting that when paid for it should become the property of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Catskill. They first made a contract with Mr. Davis, in Buffalo, for $1,745, but through the failure of the firm the organ was not completed, and a new contract was made with Messrs. Steere & Tuner of Springfield, Mass., for $1,850, and the organ was set up about the middle of February, 1884. The Ladies Aid Society had on hand between $300 and $400, which was spent for cushions, pulpit furniture, etc. The spirit of progress increased until it was decided to paint the interior at an expense of $550 and put in a steam heater costing $1,000. As these improvements were fore-shadowed it was seen that the church could not be used for some time, so the Society procured Cowles’ Hall and held the regular morning and evening service in it for seven Sundays, or for the remainder of the year 1883.

As the lecture room was completed it was occupied for preaching after the first of January for seven Sundays, and the church re-opening and dedication of the lecture room fixed for Sunday, February 24.

Bishop Harris and Rev. A. K. Sanford, D. D., arrived on Saturday evening and met the official brethren and pastor, and remained in session until 11 o’clock discussing the situation. It was found that the improvements aggregated $8,000, and that about $3,800 remained unprovided for. It was decided to raise this amount, and to this end the brethren subscribed liberally. Sunday was clear and beautiful, the congregation large and enthusiastic, and the bishop gave an excellent gospel sermon after which the pastor presented the financial condition and Rev. Dr. Sanford presented the collection, which soon amounted to over $3,400. In the afternoon the lecture room was filled to overflowing. The opening prayer was offered by Rev. B. B. Gibbs of the Baptist church, and fraternal addresses were made by Revs. Dr. Howard of the Presbyterian church and Dr. Thompson of the Reformed church. Money was solicited and about $225 raised, of which the three churches represented each gave $25. After this Mr. Alfred Foote, in behalf of the trustees, presented the new room to the bishop, who dedicated it to the worship of God.

In the evening a large congregation again assembled and listened to a good sermon by Rev. Dr. Sanford, after which the congregation was asked to contribute the $200 still in arrears. In a short time $400 were pledged, the Doxology was sung and happy greetings were exchanged by glad and thankful hearts. There were some difficulties connected with the drainage to be overcome in order to prevent the water running into the basement of the lecture room and wetting even the lecture room carpet. The church was pronounced beautiful by all who saw it. The congregation increased, a spirit of unity pervaded the church. On the 24th of May, 1884, brother Alfred Foote was buried from the church. He was greatly beloved in the community and many gathered at his funeral to lament the death of one who for more than two score years had carried the interest of the church upon his heart. As the pastor’s term drew to a close he received an invitation to Rhinebeck, and Rev. Alfred Coons was appointed to Catskill at the Conference of April. 1885.

The Rev. Alfred Coons, present pastor, succeeded the Rev. Edmund Lewis in 1885, according to the Annual Conference appointment. The year was a gracious one, both in the spiritual upbuilding of the membership and the in gathering of souls. Surely the Master pours out a great blessing at the hands of a faithful servant. Full of the love of Christ, with zealous and untiring energy, he led the special revival meetings, successive nights, week after week, still saying if there seemed to be no more penitents, that "there are still other souls to win," until more than one hundred seekers had found their way to the altar. Of this number about one hundred were received on the usual six months’ probation, and with those received by letter and those whose terms of probation had expired, one hundred new members have been received into the church. This is the largest accession, for the same period, in the history of our church. Need we say, "Well done, good and faithful servant?" There has also been a corresponding increase of interest in all the means of grace, a number of conversions occurring since the close of the revival and during the year 1886.

The interest in the Young People’s Meetings may be estimated, in a measure, from an average attendance of about 80; while the Sunday School will show an average attendance of about 200, the highest mark being 230.

During 1886 there has been added to the church property a convenient lot, on which have been erected a number of sheds, at a cost of $2,000. A much and long-needed improvement, on which only $400 remains unpaid.

The Y. M. C. A. of the church also increased its numbers very largely, and is a large and harmonious body of young men, active in the various departments of Christian work.

Class No. 1—Rev. John W. Gorse, Leader
Meets on Sunday, at 12:00 M., after Morning Service

Benjamin Wiltse

Esther A. Leeson

Sarah Holmes

Clarissa Wiltse

Ellen Overbaugh

Orpha O. Lewis

Daniel G. Beers

John D. Shepherd

Phebe E. Gorse

Eunice M. Beers

Mary D. Shepherd

Eveline Gorse

Olin D. Beers

Henrietta Shaler

Jennie H. Roe

Howard Beers

Ira T. Smith

Henry Fredenburgh

George W. Bates

Anna E. Smith

Fredenburgh

Sarah A. Bates

Charles T. Smith

Jennie Morehouse

William Burrows

Charles E. Slater

Phoebe Morehouse

Ella Burrows

Adda Slater

Mary C. Ostrander

Eliza Cook

Ellen Van Steenb’gh

Orlando Brooks

Mary Candell

Jas. H. Van Gelder

Edward Morehouse

Mary L. Caniff

J. W. Van Leuven

S. B. Ahreet

Mary F. Cuer

E. P. Van Leuven

Mary P. Ahreet

Margaret Conine

Amy Weight

Cordelia Ahreet

Cordelia Cuer

L. E. Woodworth

Lewis Jackson

Emory A. Chase

L. E. Woodworth

France Salisbury

Fannie Cole

Helen M. Snyder

Harriet Pettit

Mary E. Carpenter

Hannah J. Coons

Mary A. Manzer

Anna M. Earl

Joseph Keeler

Anna A. Manzer

Margeret Foote

Elizabeth Keeler

Lorinda Fuller

Henry Gaylord

Charles Covell

David Preston

Sally Gaylord

Sarah J. Olmstead

Harriet E. Preston

Frank A. Gallt

George W. Waters

Wm. Morehouse

Richard Hardwick

Mary E. Waters

Hiram Fredenburgh

Sarah Hardwick

Henry P. Light

James Leeson

Emma J. Light

   

Class No. 2—John B. Foote, Leader
Meets on Sunday, at 12: 00M., after Morning Service

Abram Banks

Nathan L. King

S. Delia Whitbeck

Emma Banks

Mrs. N. L. King

Sarah Woolhiser

William W. Banks

Mary D. Mattice

Viola Wells

Lorinda Bands

Edmund R. Martin

William Morrison

Charles E. Bassett

Mary E. Martin

Rebecca Morrison

Violetta Bassett

Herbert Niklewicz

Mary A. Morrison

Margaret Brandow

Phoebe C. Nelson

Alice Mallory

Henrietta Brandow

Ann M. Oliver

Addie M. Powell

Henry G. Bates

Frank Oliver

Zalmon Austin

James Cumming

Cella A. Oliver

Alvaretta Walsh

Jane Cumming

Mary B. Osborn

Jerome Walsh

Elizabeth Cornell

William N. Paulsen

Etta Van Dyke

J. Wesley Cumming

Jane Ann Person

Douglas Van Dyke

Frances Denniston

Louisa Prindle

Emory Sage

Levi Egnor

Jane Palmer

Mary Robb

Caroline Foote

Sarah F. Plank

William Robb

John A Foote

Emma J. Perry

Alida May Price

Adella M. Foote

Jacob W. Ruland

Alice M. Price

Peter Fiero

Mary A. Ruland

Alice Price

Helena Fiero

Robert E. Scott

Anna M. Goetchius

May A. Foote

Jane A. Scott

Jessie M. Goetchius

Ella Greenwood

Eliza Smith

Carrie Heath

Richard Hopkins

Kate A. Stewart

Harriet Hammond

Phoebe Hammond

Sarah A. Teatzel

George W Heath

Martha Heath

Richard Van Hoesen

Alfred Foote

Annie M. Haines

Eliza J. Van Hoesen

Florence Foote

Chauncey Hinman

C. M. Van Hoesen

Selina Austin

Augusta Hinman

Henry Van Bramer

Jennie C. Fiero

Caroline King

Mrs. H. Van Bramer

Jennie Acroyd

Class No. 3—Charles Wetmore, Leader
Meets on Sunday, at 9:00 A. M., before Morning Service

Catherine Wetmore

Clarence W. Brooks

Angeline Brooks

Nelson Weight

Emma L. Brooks

Harriet Hadden

Edward Browere

Lucas B. Wood

Hattie Winans

Mary Browere

Martha J. Wood

Wm. Thorpe

Wm. H. Prindle

George M. Wood

Chas. W. Bedell

Angeline Prindle

Silas P. Wood

William Walsh

John R. Hicks

Cyrus Robbins

Margaret Walsh

Martha J. Hicks

John W. Ham

Wm. D. Wood

Carrie Ackley

William Bowdy

John Oakley

Jacob Hallenbeck

Chas. H. Hammond

Nancy Van Aken

Emily S. Hallenbeck

Mary H. Hammond

Mary E. Finch

Prudence Reade

Kate M. Gaylord

Mary E. Sweet

Hannah Story

Roswell P. Harris

Charles Smith

M. E. Finch

Emma A. Harris

Frank Traphagen

John Hardwick

Isabella Morse

F. P. Van Dyke

Mary Hardwick

Jacob Schekenburgh

John T. Heath

Edward Hebner

Peter V. Spencer

Sally Heath

Bronk Wolfe

Amelia Spencer

John Hulbert

Mary Wolfe

Hiram K. Price

Frances Hulbert

Rachel E. Myers

Adelia E. Banks

Geo. F. Smith

John Robb

James F. Scott

Imogene Smith

Isaac Van Hoesen

Harriet Snyder

Harriet Hadden

Lyman Chappell

Phoebe A. Van Hoesen

Milton Clay

B. Van Valkenburgh

Egbert D. Brooks

Chas. E. Carpenter

M. J. Van Valkenburgh

Lizzie Brooks

Theodore Castle

Minis Plank

Amanda Clay

 

Class No. 4—H. L. Jennings, Leader
Frank H. Russ, Assistant.
Meets on Tuesday, 7 P. M.

Mary Botsford

Catherine Overbaugh

Maria Wayne

Emma Bennett

Cynthia Overbaugh

William H. Finch

Mary Kapps

Philip Palmer

Mary E. Lieb

Charlotte Cole

Eunice Palmer

Loventia M. Daniels

Jacob Coffin

Mima Palmer

Betsey Ann Yeomans

Rhoda Coffin

James Pardee

Mary Mattice

Martha J. Clum

Barnett Ruland

Jeannette Rider

Harriet A. Decker

Oscar Ruland

Milton Snyder

Elizabeth Dederick

Rachel Ruland

Lottie Magee

Harriet Dunspaugh

Emma J. Ray

Olive J. Layman

Emily Egnor

Frank Russ

Alice M. Hill

Fannie V. Falkner

Esther Russ

Maud Goetchius

Emma S. Gilbert

Jane Stocking

Priscilla Finch

George N. Hill

Thomas Sutton

John W. Clum

Rosalie Hill

Mary E. Sutton

Harriet Miller

Angeline Hallenbeck

Rachel Stead

Ada J. Botsford

Myra Hallenbeck

Kate M. Shultz

Sarah J. Fanning

Ann B. Hallenbeck

Theodore M. Smith

Kate Farnham

Rachel Hay

Conrad Silvernail

Ann C. Miller

Washington Kennedy

Anna M. Silvernail

Celia J. Overbaugh

Emily Kennedy

Charles F. Smith

Mary J. Williams

Edward V. Layman

Frances Thompson

Willis Haines

Mary Myers

Margaret Willard

Middie L. Haines

Mary McManery

Mary T. Wetmore

Ella J. Conklin

Sarah Martin

Emma J. Wolfe

Oliver J. Layman

Alva Fredenburgh

   

Class No. 5.---John Smith, Leader
Meets on Sunday, 9 A. M., before Morning Services.

Julia Smith

Ellen C. Plank

Susan A. Winans

C. A. Broadhead

Eugene A. Smith

Jennie Cammer

Mary Dodge

Carrie L. Smith

Gracie Hardick

Alida Driscoll

Fletcher B. Story

Fannie Fields

Geo. W. Holdridge

Libbie A. Story

J. Milton Coons

Hannah Holdridge

Douglas Thorpe

Wm. E. Van Dyke

Louisa Hulbert

Libbie Van Dyke

Charles Heath

Asaph Hulbert

Casper Villiger

Ida Heath

Phoebe Hulbert

George A. Wasson

Daniel Wentworth

Oscar F. Humphrey

Deborah Wolford

Sarah Wentworth

Mary A. Humphrey

Mary J. Fox

Mary E. Jenkins

George Kinnecott

Rachel J. Hass

Kate M. Embury

Ellen Kinnecott

Louisa Fisher

Carrie P. Smith

Emeline C. Lee

Mary E. Grant

Mary L. Gorse

Libbie Morehouse

Isaac Layman

Martha A. Venus

Hattie Morehouse

Charles G. Gorse

Helen Venus

Cynthia Oakley

John W. Gorse

John W. Venus

Bessie Hapeman

   

Class No. 6.—E. A. Browere, Leader
Meets on Sunday afternoon, after Sunday School

Mary E. Bedell

Ida H. Fiero

Charles H. Bunt

Sanford Denniston

Josie Smith

Home Russ

S. Elmer Davis

Emma Sweeney

Minnie Shaler

Mary M. Daniels

Ida Pierson

Lawrence Van Hoesen

Kate E. Dunn

Ella J. Mower

Sarah Overbaugh

Ada V. Falkner

Carrie Wardle

Jennie Wells

May E. Gaylord

Alfred Wardle

Nellie Hardwick

Carrie E. Gallt

Maggie Warrington

Lillie Bassett

Emma A. Harris

Melvin Van Aken

Clara Robbins

John A. Hallenbeck

Alice Heath

Mary M. Hopson

Orliff T. Heath

Mary E. Smith

Leelah Traphagen

Florence Layman

Lille Yeomans

Mary C. Warrington

Mary E. Nicoll

Emma J. Wheeler

Gideon Coons

Jennie Oliver

Herbert Cooke

Fanny Fuller

Frank Palmer

Annie DeGrote

Wm. Morehouse, Jr.

John Robb

Laura Walker

Grace Ashley

Elnora Nelson

   



1886

Rev. Alfred Coons, Pastor

Trustees:
Benjamin Wiltse 
E. A. Smith
John B. Foote 
L. E. Wentworth
John Hardwick 
E. A. Chase
Henry Gaylord
Charles Bassett
Charles Wetmore

Stewards:
John Robb, Sr. 
Thos. Sutton
Rec. Steward
J. R. Hicks 
John A. Foote
John T. Heath
J. H. Van Gelder
O. T. Humphrey
Dist. Bronk Wolfe
Geo. W. Holdridge 
Richard Hardwick
E. A. Browere

Leaders:
Rev. John W. Gorse
John Smith
John B. Foote 
H. L. Jennings
Charles Wetmore 
E. A Browere

Committee:
Missons—Rachel Hay, Frank Russ, J. H. Hulbert
Sunday School—Nelson Weight, Hattie Winans, Frank Gallt, J. R. Hicks, John T. Heath
Temperance—Mrs. Frank Oliver, Florence Wardle, J. B. Oakley, J. W. Gorse
Tract—May Foote, Jessie Goetchius, Minnie F. Shaler, Emma Wheeler, Frank Palmer
Education—H. N. Price, William N. Paulsen, Ella Burrows
Church Extension—Catherine Thorpe, Emma J. Light, John B. Shepherd
Church Records—Nelson Weight, Frank Oliver, the Pastor
Parsonage—O. T. Humphrey, Mrs. D. C. Mull, Mrs. Bronk Wolfe
Church Music—John A. Foote, E. A. Smith, E. A. Chase
Estimating—John Hardwick, John B. Foote, E. A. Smith
Conference Claimants—Chas. Wetmore, John Robb, Charles Bassett.

Services:
Sunday—Preaching: 10:30 A. M. and 7:30 P. M.
Sunday Classes: 9 A. M., 12 M., 4 P. M.; Tuesday, 7:30 P. M.
Sunday School at 2:30 P.M.
Sunday Y. M. C. A. Prayer Meeting, 6 P. M.
Thursday Evening Prayer Meeting, 7:30 P. M.


Home            Table of Contents          Church Records Home Page