on to DeKalb Co.
George F. Praul
William H. Wilsey
Contributed by Arlene Goodwin from "History of De Kalb
Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, 1885.
Gilbert Showers was born in Greene County, N.Y., March 11, 1828, a son of Solomon and Mahala (Greene) Showers. When he was four years old his parents moved to Michigan and five years later to De Kalb County, Ind., where he was reared and educated. He helped to build the first school-house in Richland Township. With the exception of three years, when he was engaged in the manufacture of lumber at Shower’s Corners, he has lived near the old homestead, and in 1864 settled on the home farm where he still lives. He was married Oct. 6, 1854, to Elizabeth, daughter of Charles and Barbara (Thomas) Chancy, who moved from Ashland County, Ohio, to De Kalb County, Ind., in 1853. They have three children---Ida, Gilbert M. and Almeta M. Mr. and Mrs. Showers are member of the United Brethren church. Mr. Showers is the only surviving member of a family of eight children. His father was born in New York in 1801, and was married to Mahala Greene in 1827. They moved to De Kalb County in 1837, there being at the time of their settlement but three other settlers in Richland Township. Their deceased children were---Catherine J., Jane M., Emily, Seth, Alfred, Rosetta and Solomon. Alfred died while in the defense of his country in the war of the Rebellion. Mr. Showers was a member of the first Board of Township Trustees of Richland, and a man universally respected. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren church. He died April 24, 1851, and his wife Sept. 1, 1884. The April following his settlement, his brother William, a bachelor, followed him to the township and became one of the most prominent citizens. He was the first Justice of the Peace of Richland, and a County Commissioner several terms. He died Aug. 8, 1861.
Contributed by Arlene Goodwin from History of Northeast Indiana; LaGrange, Steuben, Noble, and DeKalb Counties, Vol. II, under the editorial supervision of Ira Ford, Orville Stevens, William H. McEwen, and William H. McIntosh. The Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago and New York, 1920.
George F. Praul. One of the most complete and modern
farms in DeKalb County is the Maple Lawn Farm, a mile and a half north of Butler
in Franklin Township. Its proprietor is George F. Praul, and on the land
which, he cultivates today he was born November 19, 1869. He is a son of Edwin
A. and Sarah A. (Firestone) Praul, both of whom were also natives of Franklin
Township, the father born December 15, 1848, and the mother September 13, 1851.
The paternal grand-parents were Edward and Lucy (Thompson) Praul, the former a
native of Pennsylvania while the latter was born if Greene County, New York,
moved from there to
Pennsylvania and then to Indiana in 1845, locating in Wilmington Township and later in Franklin Township, where they spent the rest of their lives. Lucy Praul died March 13, 1885, while he died July 4, 1863, his death being the result of a rattlesnake bite. Of their twelve children five are still living, named Lucinda, wife of Nick Bucher, of Cincinnati; Nancy,
widow of Benjamin Walton, of Garrett; Hattie, wife of Charles Thompson; Minnie, widow of Watson Halabaugh; and Rachel, widow of Henry Workman. Edwin Praul grew up in DeKalb County in a locality and under circumstances, which prevented him from getting a good education. On July 3, 1868, he married Sarah A. Firestone, who was one of thirteen children, five of whom are still living.
George F. Praul was the only child of his parents and he has spent practically all his life on the home farm. As a boy there he attended the common schools. On December 27, 1893, he married Margaret A. McClintock. He was born in Troy Township, DeKalb County, February 18, 1873, a daughter of Jeremiah and Mary (Scott) McClintock. Her father was a native of Perry County, Pennsylvania, and her mother of Crawford County, Ohio. They were married in Ohio and in 1867 came to Indiana. Jeremiah McClintock was a Union soldier, having served three years in Company K of the Ninth Ohio Cavalry. In later yeas he was active in the Grand Army of the Republic and was an influential member of the republican party. In the McClintock family were four children, three of whom are still living: Elias, of
Auburn; Margaret and Mattie, wife of Vernon L. Kepler, of Troy Township. Mrs. Praul received her education in the common schools of Troy Township. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Praul lived on a rented farm two and a half years, then spent six years at Butler, and with that exception they have lived on the old homestead. Mr. Paurl has sixty acres of good farm land and he is also one of the directors of the Butler Farmers Elevator Company and a stockholder in the Arctic Cooperative Livestock Association. He has been active in the republican party and he and his wife are members of the Wilmington Grange. Both are affiliated with the Pythian Sisters, Mrs. Praul being past chief and a member of the Grand Lodge, His membership is with Butler Lodge No. 158, Knights of Pythias. Mrs. Praul
is a Methodist. They have three children: Sherley E. is a graduate of high school. Also
took advanced training at Winona and Angola, and for three years was a teacher. She is now the wife of Clarence T. Carson, and lives in Chicago. Bessie G. is a high school graduate, wife of D.A. Baker, of Butler, Russell E., the youngest, is still at home and attending school.
Contributed by Arlene Goodwin from "History of DeKalb County, Indiana, 1837-1987", page 55, edited by Troas Wise, published by DeKalb Sesquentennial Inc., Auburn, Ind., 1987
Edward Praul helped to build the first Methodist church in Jarvis, later Butler, Indiana. He was a Methodist circuit rider who eventually brought his family to DeKalb County from Mercer County, Pennsylvania in 1845. Edward was born in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, 4 June 1815, and his wife Lucinda Thompson was born in Greene County, New York, 16 March 1817. The couple bought the Ocker farm for their ten daughters and one son. Edward died of a rattlesnake bite, 4 July 1863, and is buried in the Franklin Township Cemetery on County road 24 near 61, beside the grave of Ref. John McCurdy and his wife. Lucy died, 13 Mar 1885, and is buried in the Cosperville Cemetery north of Wawaka, Indiana.
Note: Found a Praul, ______, buried in Big Run Cemetery, d. July 4, 1863 age 43y. (Re: Cemetery Inscription book page 81)
Edwin Avilla Praul, son of Edward and Lucy Praul, was born 15 December 1848, in Franklin township and struggled to improve the farms as an only son with ten sisters. Edwin’s first wife, Sarah A. Firestone, also born in Franklin township, 13 September 1851, daughter of George P. Firestone who came to the township in 1836. George Francis "Frank" was her only child, born 1869, when he was seventeen she left and went to live in Seattle, Washington. She was called Grandma Whitney by her family. Her third husband never came back from the Yukon Gold Rush. Sarah maintained a boarding house. Se died in Seattle, 30 March 1921. One of her boarders, a railroad man, brought her back to be buried in the Butler Cemetery.
Edwin married Mary (Dirrim) Hagerty and their son Eugene was born at Maple Lawn Farm 25 August 1890. They lived in the log cabin home at Maple Lawn Farm until abut 1902 and then bought a farm south of Butler, which became Gene’s after Edwin died, 4 March 1919. Edwin is buried in the Butler Cemetery Mausoleum beside Mary.
Contributed by Arlene Goodwin from History of De Kalb County, Indiana. Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, 1885.
William H. Wilsey, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Greene County, N.Y., July 10, 1821, a son of Isaac and Jane (Carpenter) Wilsey, the former a native of New York, of Holland descent, and the latter of Puritan ancestry. When he was a child his parents moved to New Jersey, and in 1839 to Tompkins County, N. Y., where he lived till 1845, when he came to Indiana and entered forty acres of Government land in De Kalb County. He built a small cabin into which he moved his family, and began to make a home out of a tract of timber land. He cleared and cultivated his land, and by industry and good management has been successful, and has added to his land till he now owns 120 acres all well improved. He has erected good buildings on his farm, and has one of the pleasantest and most convenient homes in the township. He was married Jan. 25, 1843, to Ursula Jane Haskins, a native of Rutland County, Vt., daughter of Aris and Sarah (Warner) Haskins. They have had a family of eight children but four of whom are living---Mary Jane, wife of George W. Anstett; Elizabeth Ann, wife of Walter W. Crise; John W. and Henry E. Sarah M., Sarah H., Charles L., and Frank E. are deceased. He has served his township two terms as Trustee. Mrs. Wilsey is a member of the Evangelical church.