Boarding Houses, Resorts and Hotels
Extracted from Beers, History of Greene County, by Annette
James H. Woolhiser is
the proprietor of a boarding house situated near the Sulphur Springs, Catskill.
The house was built in 1882 by the present owner. It is situated in an
elevated and healthy location and has a capacity for 30 guests.
The Elm Shade House, one
and one half miles west of Catskill village on the south bank
of the Kaaterskill Creek was built by its proprietor, Horace Barker, in 1872,
and accommodates 15 guests. The waters of the creek afford good boating and
fishing. Post office address of proprietor, Catskill, NY.
The Union House,
Catskill Point, was built by Hiram VanSteenburgh in 1878 and was bought in
1880 by the present proprietess, Mrs. M.J.B. Brooks. The hotel furnishes first
class accommodations for 75 guests. Post office address of proprietess, Catskill
The Continental Hotel is
situated at the boatlanding at Catskill Point, and is owned
and conducted by W. D. Hahn. The house accommodates 35 boarders.
Telegraph and telephone offices in the building, also railroad ticket office.
Post office address of proprietor, Catskill, NY
Robert N. Fullagar is
the proprietor of a boarding house near Leeds. The
house is in a cool and healthy locality, and is surrounded by beautiful
scenery. It has a capacity for about 40 boarders. The post office
address of the owner is Leeds, NY.
Fair View Farm House was
erected by James Wetzel in 1833, and was subsequently owned by Messrs.
Talmadge and Walter Pine. It is situated about six miles from the
village of Catskill, on the Fair View Farm. The post office
address of the proprietor is Kiskatom, NY
Kiskatom Mountain View Farm House
was built in 1871 by the present proprietor, Frederick Saxe, and is situated
near High Falls and the Kaaterskill Clove. It furnishes accommodations
for 45 guests. Post office address, Catskill, NY.
The Catskill Pine Grove House
was built in 1876 by its present proprietor, John Bergner, and was rebuilt and
enlarged in 1880. It is located about one mile west of Main Street, Catskill,
at the junction of the Mountain Turnpike and the Saugerties road, and
furnishes accommodations for 40 guests.
The Pines House, built
by Giles Griffin in 1854, is situated on the eastern border of a magnificent
pine grove at Palenville, near one of the falls of the
Kaaterskill, and is one of the oldest boarding houses in the locality. About
12 boarders are furnished with first class accommodations for the summer
The Hawver House was
opened in 1861 by the present proprietor, Peter Hawver. It is situated in a
pleasant part of the village of Palenville, and surrounded
with beautiful grounds and pleasant walks. The Hawver House accommodates
Charles H. Teale opened
his house at Palenville for the accommodation of summer
boarders in 1850. Entertainment is furnished for 20 guests. The post office
and telegraph office are in the house.
The Swiss Home is pleasantly situated on the west side of
Katskill Creek, near the village of Catskill. It was opened in 1869 by
the present proprietor, Philip Plusch. Accommodations are furnished for 75
guests. Post office address of Proprietor, Catskill, NY
James H. Badeau is the proprietor of a boarding house two
and one-half miles west of the village of Catskill. The
house is on a pleasant elevation, and is surrounded by a fine farm of 130
acres. The house was opened in 1873.
Sunny Slope House was built in 1860 by Mrs. J. M.
Williston, was rebuilt in 1878, and now has a capacity for 50 boarders.
It is situated in Palenville, at the entrance to the
Kaaterskill Clove, and within convenient distance of the principal points of
interest in the Catskill Mountains. Its present proprietor is P. H.
The Palenville House was built by Daniel Center and Henry
Palen, and was subsequently purchased by Henry Wynkoop. The present owner
came into possession of the property in 1848. The house is pleasantly
located in the Katerskill Clove. Pleasant groves and walks surround the
place. The air is delightfully cool, and the water is pure. The house
accommodates 20 guests. E. W. Trumpbour, proprietor, Palenville,
The Maple Grove House, a delightful summer resort at the
entrance to the Katerskill Clove, was built by the present proprietor, Philo
Peck, in 1866. It is surrounded by a large, well shaded lawn, and furnishes
good accommodations for 125 guests. It is situated one half mile from the Palenville
The Drummond's Falls House was erected by a man named
Drummond, about the year 1803, and was rebuilt in 1869 by the present owner.
The place is rendered attractive by magnificent views, cool air, pleasant
walks and shades. The table is supplied from the farm of 110 acres,
connected with the establishment. Hezekiah M. Dederick, Proprietor, Palenville,
Oakwood Hall was built by the present proprietor, in 1879,
and is located at the entrance of Katerskill Clove, about one mile from the
Catskill Mountain Railroad station. From 25 to 30 boarders are accommodated
here during the season. Edwin E. Goodwin, proprietor, Palenville,
The Lamouree House, one half mile from Palenville post
office, was built in 1871, by Cornelius Dubois, and rebuilt in 1881. The
Lamouree House is delightfully situated at the foot of Kaaterskill Clove,
and furnishes accommodations for 15 guests. The place is especially
attractive on account of the delightful breezes which are always to be
found. Luman Lamouree, proprietor, Palenville, NY.
The Echo House, situated convenient to railroad station and
post office, near Black Crook Falls, occupies the site of a house built
prior to the Revolution, and was erected by Newcomb Knapp, and subsequently
owned by Dr. J. H. Blanchard, Messrs. Demarest and Myers, and by James
Goodwin, who sold it to the present proprietor. The house furnishes
accommodations for 30 guests. Forty acres of fine farming land are connected
with the house. George Wynkoop, proprietor, Palenville, NY.
The Edgewood House, situated one mile from Leeds on the
Katerskill road, was built by the present proprietor in 1855, and rebuilt
and enlarged in 1879. About 40 boarders are accommodated here, and the table
is supplied from the farm of 120 acres, connected with the house. Isaac
Vedder, proprietor, Leeds, NY.
Calvin C. Woolhiser is the proprietor of a boarding house
in the western part of the village of Catskill, near the
Sulphur Springs. The house was built in 1873 by Michael Decker, and
was subsequently owned by J. Fiero, Jr., of whom it was purchased by the
present owner. About 35 guests are accommodated during the summer season.
The Riverside Farm is located at Donahues Landing, on the
Hudson River, five miles below Catskill. The boarding house
was erected by Chauncey P. Shultis, in 1855, and its successive owners have
been John Gould, Captain William Donahue, and the present proprietor Phineas
R. Finger. About 20 boarders are accommodated. The post office address of
the proprietor is Smiths Landing, NY
Jacob Fiester's boarding house on Bethel Ridge, six miles
west of Catskill, was built in 1873 by the present proprietor. It is
situated on a farm f 138 acres, and has the highest location of any boarding
house below the mountains. The house accommodates 50 boarders. Post office
address of proprietor, Leeds, NY.