Round Top Methodist Church
Written by Ethel Ruland in 1976
Contributed by April Saccoccio
Retyped by Sylvia Hasenkopf
The Round Top Methodist Church was founded in 1838 by the following trustees: Peter Fiero, Samuel Jones, Harvey Stoddard, John Remsen, who was the owner of the property, a beautiful grove on which the church was erected. For several years the congregation sat on wooden benches with hardbacks. In 1893 the choir loft and chancel, with the vestibule entrance, and the tower were added. In 1900 the bell was installed in the tower.
In 1961, fire destroyed the original Round Top Methodist Church built in 1858. A few days after the church burned a group of the church members met and decided to erect a new church building. It was decided not to reproduce the old structure, but to erect a functional but simple building which would conform to present day architecture. Plans, models and designs were sought and presented and accepted and the building was ready for occupancy in the summer of 1963. On Wednesday evening, November 27, 1963, the new church was consecrated by Bishop Lloyd Wicks. Rev. Gerald Sutch was the pastor and paid tribute to the more than forty organizations and 350 individuals, families and businesses who had contributed gifts, voluntary labor and discounts on materials. John South presented the church for consecration. William Russell was the organist and Albert Meyer was the violinist. Rev. Richard Moore of Greenville blended his triumphant voice with the choir. The Bishop called the dedication a "Memorable night and a Miracle of Consecration."
In 1965 the Conference united Cairo, Round Top and South Cairo into one charge. Rev. William Rogers was the appointed Pastor. In 1969 he was transferred to the Overlook United Methodist Church in Woodstock and Rev. Ernest A. Droppa was appointed minister in charge of Cairo, Round Top and South Cairo.