Located on the south side of Route 26, in the Town of Greenville, 1/2 mile west of the intersection with Scutt Road. It is situated on a hillock behind a large white farmhouse. It is surrounded by a stone wall with an iron fence, although the wall has fallen down in many places.
Transcribed by Sylvia Hasenkopf on November 11, 2001
From Beers' "History of Greene County" Page 303:
Hardy Rundle opened a hotel here (East Greenville) as early as 1820, and in 1821 built a large cider-mill. Two years afterward, he commenced the manufacture of cider brandy, and in 1826 opened a store. In 1827 his distillery turned out 3,000 barrels of cider brandy, the largest production of any one year. The distillery was continued at intervals till 1855, though Mr. Rundle had previously been succeeded by his son George L., who, during this time, was also largely engaged in the manufacture of rectified cider, to which he afterward added elderberry and currant wines. An article published in the Windham Journal, October 1st, 1857, shows to what extent he was at one time engaged in the business:
"George L. Rundle, of Greenville, in 1851 sent a small quantity of elderberry and currant wines to the State fair at Utica, upon which he received a premium. He has made only small quantities since that time, until the present season, when he purchased, and had picked, in the county and suburbs of Albany county, 23 3/4 tons of elderberries, from which he expressed 3,000 gallons of pure juice. Of this enormous quantity, he used 500gallons of juice in distilling 40 gallons of liquor, to which he has given no name, but which is the condensed steam of the elderberry. He still has 2,500 gallons of juice, which will make 5,000 gallons of wine, and which Mr. Rundle will send into market at the proper time. Mr. Rundle also made 700 gallons of currant wine."
Mr. Rundle retired from the cider and distillery business soon after 1860, and at present no manufacturing or business, aside from farming, is carried on in the place.