Samuel Jessup White, MD
Biography courteously provided by Joyce Riedinger, Delaware County Coordinator.
SAMUEL JESSUP WHITE, M.D., a successful physician of Franklin, although still a comparatively young man, has already achieved an honored position among his professional brethren, and built up a good practice in this locality. He was born on August 12, 1862, in Gilbertsville, Otsego County. His father, the Rev. Samuel J. White, D.D., now a resident of Walton, was born in Durham, Greene County, in February,1814, was graduated from Williams College in 1839, and studied theology at Union Theological Seminary in New York City. His first settled pastorate was over the Presbyterian church in Franklin, where he presided from 1844 until 1852. In the meantime he was united in marriage in 1846 with Mary A. Finch. Their family circle was completed by the birth of six children, one of whom, a daughter named Frances, died at the age of six years. The record of the living children is as follows: Mary, the wife of the Rev. T.D. Barclay, resides in Kent, Conn. William F., a leading light of the legal fraternity, and junior member of the firm of Fancher & White, of Walton, is District Attorney. Elizabeth M., the wife of Charles S. Hitchcock, lives in Fruitland, Fla. Sarah F., the wife of William R. North, is a resident of Goshen, Conn. Samuel J. is the subject of further mention below.
Samuel J. White acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Walton, going from there to Claverack Institute, and afterward fitting for college at Kent, Conn. After pursuing the course of study at Williams College, he entered the Medical University of New York City, from which he was graduated with an honorable record in 1888. The following year and a half Dr. White had a valuable experience as physician in the Bellevue Hospital. In November, 1889, he opened an office in the village of Franklin, and since that time has devoted his entire attention to the active labors of his profession with most satisfactory results to both himself and his patrons. On the 1st of January, 1894, prior to going South with his wife, who was out of health, Dr. White took as partner George H. Brinkman, M.D.
The union of Dr. White and Mary I. Hoag was solemnized on August 5, 1891. Mrs. White is the daughter of Mrs. Julia Hoag, of Franklin; and she has but one brother, Frank Hoag, of Franklin. Mrs. Hoag is the daughter of David and Isabel (Hotchkiss) Penfield, both of whom were born in the town of Harpersfield, this county, but settled in 1841, after marriage, on a farm in Ridgeville, and lived there seven years. Returning to the scenes of their youthful days, they bought a farm in Harpersfield; and on that they labored successfully until 1862, when they disposed of that property and purchased another farm, situated about two miles from Franklin. They were the parents of five children, one boy and four girls, namely: Julia, the mother of Mrs. White; Fanny Maria, a resident of Franklin, and the widow of A.W. Metcalf, who died in Otsego County in 1889; Mary M., the wife of David C. Shaw; Orrin L., a farmer, who resides on the old home farm; Ida Isabel, the wife of Alfred Ogden.
In politics the Doctor cordially endorses the principles of the Republican party. Religiously, both he and his estimable wife are consistent members of the Congregational church. With his other attainments, Dr. White is a fine musician, and with his cornet adds to the music of the best choir in the town of Franklin.
Table of Contents
Delaware County Biographies Home Page