Located in the Town of Athens on a vacant lot beside #31 N. Franklin St, in the Village of Athens. The stone is lying flat on its back and it is unclear whether there were ever other stones located at this site.
Transcribed by Sylvia and Britni Hasenkopf on June 30, 2002
From Beer's History of Greene Co, pub. 1884, page 184:
" It will be noticed that in the deed from John M. Van Loon to Isaac Northrup, conveying the farm on which the village of Athens now stands, the old family burying ground was reserved. This lot, which is on the east side of Franklin street, and north of the house of John Sanderson, is the last resting place of Jan Van Loon, the founder of the Van Loon family, and many of his descendants, but nothing marks their graves. The only tombstones with inscriptions, are those recording the death of Alice, wife of Matthias Van Loon (son of John M.), who died September 1793, and Marie, w/o John Folger, and her husband."
Home Table of Contents Cemeteries Home Page
Athens Cemeteries Home Page