Olden Time - Chapter Twenty-Two
Where the Red Man Trod
Transcribed by Arlene Goodwin. From the book entitled, "Ye Olden Time, as compiled from the Coxsackie News of 1889" written by Robert Henry Van Bergen, together with notations by Rev. Delber W. Clark, and edited by Francis A. Hallenbeck, 1935
Where The Red Man Trod - A Short Sketch in Early History.
D. Parks is in possession of a 1-cent individual shinplaster that was issued by Charles Titus in the year 1815, payable at his store. Mr. Titus was one of the first settlers of the county. He came from Dutchess county soon after the close of the Revolutionary war. Marked trees, or foot paths were his guide. Near the place now owned by Giles Moore he built a log house. One can imagine a ladder to go up stairs, oak stakes split out by hand to cover the chamber floor; the large wooden hooks attached to the big beam over the fire place, on which to hang the gun. A few years was spent in this mode of living; clearing up land and threshing for different parties for the straw with which to feed his cattle. About 200 rods in a westerly direction, across a swamp marsh, several acres of land was occupied and held by the large tribe of Indians. Their trail could be easily traced for years afterward in an easterly direction on the farm now occupied and owned by Alonzo Powell, at Stanton Hill, where their arrow flints were made. Wagon loads of chips can be seen there any time, and arrow heads and war weapons are being plowed to the surface year after year. Mr. Titus was very ingenious at all kinds of mechanical work. He soon bought a tract of land a short distance further north where he built a frame house, saw mill and blacksmith shop. In a few years a store was built and filled with all kinds of merchandise. He dealt in all kinds of lumber, barrel and hoghead staves, and soon purchased a dock at Coxsackie Upper Landing, where sailing vessels were loaded with lumber and shipped to New York. Marked industry and perseverance brought him in possession of a good fortune. He lived to be nearly ninety years old. These land are now owned and occupied by Charles T. Bedell.
S. P. T.
Home Table of Contents History of the Towns Home Page
Ye Olden Time Home Page