Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
DADY, William J., Frankfort, was born in Canajoharie where he lived until nineteen years of age, when he came to Frankfort and engaged in the hotel business. His house was burned in 1892 and the present hotel, "The Grand Union" built in its place. It is a large fine building, containing eighteen sleeping rooms, and is fitted up in good style. It adjoins the offices of the West Shore railroad. Mr. Dady married, April 15, 1891, Maria T. Spellman of Newport, N. Y., one of six children of James and Theresa (Riley) Spellman.
DALE, William H., Little Falls, was born in Little Falls. He received his education in the village schools and engaged with his father in contracting. About fifteen years ago he and his brother, George B. Dale, formed a partnership, which has since existed. During this entire period no account has been kept between the brothers, each having implicit confidence in the other. Mr. W. H. Dale is one of the village trustees, a member of the Methodist church, and identified with social and benevolent circles. This house has contracted for and completed much important work here and in this vicinity, and worthily sustains a very high reputation. The Dale family originally came from County Antom, Ireland.
DANIELS, Ira W., German Flats, was born in Syracuse, January 1, 1844, and is a silver plater by trade. He came to Ilion from the Springfield armory in 1836, and entered the Armory here. He remained until the failure of the Remingtons, and has since been with Typewriter Company. Mr. Daniels married Susie Winnie in 1889. He is a Mason, a member of Iroquois Chapter, and Little Falls Commandery. His father was William Daniels a native of Boston.
DAVIS, Albert, Fairfield, is a native of Fairfield and a prosperous farmer owning 270 acres of fine dairy farm and eighty acres of timber land. He has herd of seventy-two milch cows and cuts about 125 tons of hay annually. Mr. Davis is a representative of the old and well-known Davis family of Fairfield. His father died leaving a comfortable estate which Albert and his brother Charles inherited and own.
DAVIS, George H., Winfield, was born in Winfield January 9, 1835, a son of Jeremiah Davis, who came from Rhode Island when he was a young man and worked as a blacksmith. He married Amy, daughter of Hawkins Bennett, who was among the first settlers of this town. George H. Davis married Harriet M., daughter of Stephen Howland, both natives of Rhode Island. Mrs. Davis died September 26, 1888, and he married second Ruth, widow of Ira Dayger. She is a daughter of Stephen Howland and a sister of Judge Howland of Auburn.
DAVIS, Henry H. Litchfield, is the proprieter of the North Litchfield cheese factory, and uses the milk from about 400 cows. He started making cheese March 28, 1892, and will close January 1. The estimate of cheese for 1892 will be about 140,000 pounds which sold from 6 1/2 to 10 1/2 cents. He is also a farmer and was born in Edmeston, Otsego county, November 5, 1834. He bought the factory and farm in 1890, it having been built by Joseph Kast, about 1885. Mr. Runyan bought the land and built the first factory here about 1862. Mr. Davis made cheese in Kentucky in 1870 and in 1871 made cheese for S.P. Goodier, then the owner of this property. He married Eliza G. Lindsay, and they have one son, George H., who is now making cheese at Warwick, Orange county. He married Lisetta Otterbin, and they had one son Harry.
DAVIS, R. Irving, Little Falls, is a native of Little Falls and was born on the homestead farm, near this village in 1863. The family is an old and honored one in this State, his ancestors having resided here since the year 1767. His great-grandfathers participated in the Revolutionary war. Mr. Davis entered Hamilton College and took a highly creditable course in that institution to the middle of his sophomore year, when other duties compelled him to forego the completion of his studies. He is a member of the Theta Delta Chi society of that college, also of the Royal Arcanum, The American Legion of Honor, the Red Men and the Grange, and has filled chairs in all of the societies. Mr. Davis is now actively engaged in the real estate and insurance business, and in the latter line represents companies whose capital aggregates over $3,000,000, including both fire, life and accident insurance companies. Mr. Davis is socially popular and stands high in the estimation of the business men and public generally of the county. He possess superior business abilities and has had educational advantages far exceeding those of business men generally, and all these combine to guarantee him a bright future, which he will undoubtedly attain.
DAVY, John W., Danube, was born October 17, 1832; he received a good common school education and has always followed the occupation of farming. His great-grandfather, Thomas Davy, who settled here early in the seventeenth century was killed by the Indians while liberating some cattle belonging to a neighbor, which were stolen and fenced in a wood by these Indians. His grandfather, John Davy, and his father, William Davy, both lived honored lives and died in this county. He own about 330 acres of fine dairy land. He has been elected to office of justice of the peace and other offices, but would not qualify, preferring the "even tenor of his way" and having his hand full managing his own farms. He is much esteemed and respected by all.
DAVY, William F., Danube, was born at Davy's Corners, Danube, February 12, 1857. His ancestors located here early in the sixteenth century and participated in the Revolutionary war. William H. Davy received a good education and has been engaged in farming all his life. He owns 143 acres of fine dairy farm land, located between Davy's Corners and Newville. He married Libbie A. Klock; they have two children, both sons. He has served as commissioner of highways, etc., upon the Republican ticket, is a member of the Grange and is a thoroughly representative farmer of this county.
DAY, Almond, Winfield, was born in Winfield March 6, 1819, son of Eli and Aurilla (Toms) Day. His father Eli, was born in Winfield December 2, 1791, and died November 30, 1876. Aurilla Day was born April 8, 1788. Noah Day, father of Eli, came here by marked trees and settled near West Winfield, and was one of the first settlers of Winfield. He died October 3, 1845. He married January 27, 1791. Willia Graves, who born May 27, 1773 and died August 26, 1845. Eli Day left three children, Pamelia, Alvin G. and Almond. The latter is the only one living, and married first Clarissa Hosford, who died September 12, 1854, aged twenty-five years. She left one daughter, Ella F., who married Delos M. White January 19, 1875, and they have one son, Arthur D. White. Almond Day married second Sarah A., daughter of Chester and Nancy Parke and they have one daughter, Cora E., who married Horace H. Parkhurst. They have one son, H. Day Parkhurst. John Burgess, one of the sixth generation from the Pilgrims, was among the first settlers of Winfield. He married Urania Morey, and they have eleven children, one of whom Nancy, married Chester Parke and they had five children. Of these children Sarah A. married Almond Day, who is a retired farmer of Winfield.
DAY, Eramus W., Schuyler, is one of the notable men in Herkimer county. He was born October 19, 1815, and has been an active man all his life. He has always been a prominent farmer, and has engaged also in mercantile lines. In public life he has been prominent in Schuyler. From 1840-to1846 he was deputy sheriff, was supervisor of the town for several years, and was represenative to Albany in 1869. In 1838 he married Mary Ann Root, a daughter of Captain Root, who was celebrated in the War of 1812. They have three children, Warren E, Sheldon R, and Mrs. J.D. Leland of Washington, D.C. The grandfather of Mr. Day was commissionary in the Revolutionary War, and his father Dr. Wartren Day, was surgeon in the War of 1812. His son, Dr. Warren E. Day , was a surgeon in the late war, and for several years after the close of the war he continued in the employment of the government.
DECOSTER, Harry A., Little Falls, a native of state of Maine. His family is well and favorably known in the history of that state. Henry A. DeCoster received his education at Toft's College, Massachusettes, from which he graduated in 1885. He entered the Law offices of Judhe Sheldon in 1886 and was admitted to the bar in 1888. , immediately thereafter commencing the active practice of his profession. In 1892, Mr. DeCoster received the appointment of corporate attorney for the village of Little Falls. He married Miss Minnie Shepard of this county.
DEDICKE, Edward, Dolgeville, was born in Hamburg, Germany, February 22, 1854. When seventeen years of age he came to America and secured a position as porter in Alfred Dolge's New York store. Mr. Dolge recognized his worth, brought him to Dolgeville when he moved his felt mills to this place. Edward Dedicke rapidly acquired a through knowledge of this industry in all its departments, and has occupied the position of foreman in each. About two years ago he was appointed superintendant of the felt mills. Mr. Dedicke married Miss Barbara Stehr, and has three children, two boys, Henry and Carl, and a daughter Anna. He is Regent of the Royal Arcanum, vice-president of the School Soceity and of the Building and Loan Association, secretary of the Mutual Aid Association, a member of the I.O.O.F, president of the Volunteer Fire Company, etc..
DEIMEL, A., one of the leading coal dealers of Little Falls, is the subject of this sketch. He was formerly engaged in manufacturing operations and for the last ten years has been connected with the coal business. He has spacious yards here which have a capacity for storing two thousand tons of coal, and his enterprise and fair dealing have attracted a large patronage to his establishment. Mr. Deimel is well known and very popular socially, and is a member of the order of Red Men, the Elks, Odd Fellows, and the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a Democrat.
DEIMEL, H. A., Herkimer, is a native of Bohemia, Austria, and came to this country in 1854; after keeping a store at Herkimer until 1860 he became identified with the lumber traffic with which he has since been engaged. He has also been identified with other leading corporation here. He furnishes employment to about two hundred hands. He has held office of trustee of the village several terms, supervisor three terms, overseer of the poor, and delegate to the State convention twice. He has four children. Mr. Deimel is identified with leading social and benevolent institutions, as well as political, with which he exerts marked influence.
DEIMEL, Menning A., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer and received his education in the schools of Lansingburg and Albany. After leaving school he entered the office of Deimel & Snell as book-keeper. After six years' service therein he formed a copartnership with Mr. Snell in the Herkimer Manufacturing Company, of which he is the practical manager. This establishment manufactures spring beds, etc., and gives employment to about forty hands. Mr. M. A. Deimel is a son of H. A. Deimel, senior member of the firm of Deimel & Snell. He is a member of the Fire Department, elks, Odd Fellows, Red Men, etc., and connected with leading social and political organizations here.
DE LONG, L. M., German Flats, was born January 9, 1823 in Dutchess county. His father was Enoch De Long, and his grandfather Reuben De Long. The family came from France originally. In 1856 Mr. De Long came to his present farm in German Flats. In 1850 he married Lucy M. Paddock, and they have three children. Mr. De Long has been assessor for six years, and has filled other responsible positions.
DE LONG, Richard, Little Falls, was born in Little Falls. He received his education in the district and village schools of Herkimer county, and took one term at Syracuse University. Since leaving school he has been actively engaged in managing his extensive dairy farm of 284 acres. He keeps forty head of cattle and eleven horses and is one of Herkimer's most energetic and enterprising farmers. Mr. De Long is member of the Grange, the Masons, and of other social organizations of the town. several of his ancestors were soldiers in the Revolution, and at Sackett's Harbor in the war of 1812. Four generation of the family have resided on the farm. Mr. De Long's family consists of a wife and one daughter.
DEMPSEY, James, Frankfort, was born in the town of Salisbury, Herkimer county, October 1, 1857. He was one of nine children of Richard and Mary Dempsey. When nine years of age he went to live in the town of Schuyler, engaging in the business of buying and selling cattle and hay. He owns a farm of 125 acresin the town of Newport and one of 100 acres in Frankfort. He was married to Mary Davis, daughter of Andrew and Ella Davis of Little Falls. They reside in Frankfort village , where he owns fine property. He has a dairy of forty cows and is one of the enterprising citizens of Frankfort.
DENNISON, Allen W., Warren, was born in Warren December 2, 1841, a son of Abisha and Elizabeth (Weaver) Denison. Subject's father died in Jordanville in 1846. His wife died in March, 1870, in German Flats. They had two children, Allen W. and a daughter, who died, aged three. Allen W. was raised on a farm and has made his own way through life. He had a district and select school education, and at seventeen began the trade of painter, which he followed until about 1875. In April, 1861 he enlisted in Company E., Fourteenth New York Infantry, and was in the quartermaster's service. He was discharged from the hospital at Georgetown in April, 1862. Returning home he resumed his trade and worked in German Flats for five years, when he came to Warren and remained five years. In March, 1877 he bought sixty acres, where he now resides. He makes a specialty of hops, has served as collector, and for six years was assessor, also deputy sheriff six years. He is a Republican and a member of F. & A. M. at Richfield Chapter. He married December 13, 1867, Sara Loftus, born in Little Falls, daughter of Daniel and Jane (Ferguson) Loftus, both born in New York. He was a manufacturer of plaster, and had one son, Jolin, and six daughters. Subject and wife are of the Universalist faith.
DESS, Louis, Ilion, was born in Alsace May 1, 1846. He came to America in 1849. He began the gun trade with his father, and was subsequently in the army. He was with the Hammond Typewriter for some time, and has been three years with the Typewriter company, for which he has been superintendent this long time. He is the inventor of an aligner of great utility, performing what was long contended could be done only by hand. Several other devices and improvements on typewriters are to be credited to him.
DEVENDORF, Irving R., Herkimer district attorney for Herkimer county , is a native of the town of Danube, Herkimer county. and after a preliminary education he began the study of law in the office of the Hon. George W. Smith, of Herkimer, and was admitted to the bar in October 1880, and began practice in 1881, forming a partnership with A.J. Smith under the name of Devendorf & Smith. Mr. Devendorf was elected district attorney in 1888, and re-elected in 1891. He is proving eminently successful in his office, and as an indication of his fitness and ability, it might be mentioned that almost every indictment during his term has resulted in a conviction. Mr. Devendorf's ancestors have lived in this part since the early settlement of the State, and his great-grandfathers on both sides took part in the Revolutionary War.
DEWEY, Dennis A., Winfield, a son of Alexander and Lucretia Dewey was born in Plainfield, Otsego county. N.Y., June 7, 1841, and came to this town in 1877. He married Mary A., daughter of James and Mary Arling, February 24, 1870. She died April 12, 1888, and he married a second Aice Gorton of this town., December 17,1890, and they have one son Alexander. Mr. Dewey is one of the represenative farmers of Winfield. He elisted August 22, 1962 in Company B., One Hundred Twenty First New York Volunteers, and served about three years. He was in all the engagements of his regiment up until May 6, 1864, at the Battle of the Wilderness, when he was wounded and taken prisioner. His limb was amputated by the confederates, and he was imprisioned most of the time at Lynchburg, Va, and Libby Prison at Richmond for about five months. His father was born in Plainfield, Otsego county, and settled in this town in 1865. He held the office of assessor of this town and was supervisor for three years in succession in 1888, '89 an "90. He is a member of the S.G. Button Post. No. 364, G.A.R.
DEXTER, Henry W., Newport, was born in Fairfield, Herkimer county, July 16, 1823, a son of William B. and Sarah (Jewett) Dexter, who settled in Fairfield about 1819. His mother was a native of Connecticut and his father of Providence. The latter was a volunteer in the war of 1812, and was a Whig and later a Republican. He was very active in politics, and was a member of the Liberal church. He had four daughters and one son: Phoebe A. (deceased, Mary J. (Parkhurst), Henry W., Louisa A. (Deering), Elizabeth A. (Griswold) and Henry W. The latter married January 18, 1844, Mary E. Parkhurst, a native of Fairfield, and a daughter of Lyman and Susan (Enos) Parkhurst. They have two children, Addis S., wife of Capt. Thomas E. Merritt of the One Hundred Fifty-First Regiment Infantry, and at present auditor of the Adirondack & St. Lawrence railroad. He has also a son, Dr. Lyman C. Dexter, a physician and druggist of Newport. He married Gertrude Harris, daughter of Archibald Harris. Henry W. Dexter started in business as a farmer in the town of Newport, 1847, and continued until 1865, then speculated in livestock and produce until 1880. He was on the committee of the right-of-way of the H. N. & P. R. R. and was also a director unt'l 1890. Mr. Dexter is a 32d degree Mason, a member of Newport Lodge No. 455, Iroquois Chapter and attends the Universalist church. He is also director in the Newport National Bank.
DEXTER, Lyman C., Newport was born February 21, 1854. His early education was obtained in the public schools at Newport. At the age of fifteen years he entered Fairfield Seminary. He graduated from Hungerford's Collegiate Institute at Adams, N. Y., in 1872, and was employed in 1874 and 1875 in Utica, N. Y., as a financial agent for Alfred Putnam in the dry goods business. He then studied medicine with Dr. A. J. Brown, of Newport. He graduated from the University of Michigan in June, 1879, and then took a post-graduate course in Bellevue Hospital, New York city, from which he graduated in March, 1880, and commenced the practice of his profession in Newport the following summer. He started the first exclusive drug store in Newport which he now conducts. He is also a stockholder in West Brothers' knitting mill, and is a member of the Improvement, Agricultural and Herkimer County Medical Societies. He is a member of Lodge No. 455, F. & A., in which he has been junior and senior wardens; belongs to the I. O. R. M., the Phalitorian Literary Society of Hungerford Institute and of the Nonsaskin Literary Society. He is a Republican, and has been town clerk four consecutive years, health officer two years and is at present town physician of Newport. He married June 27, 1884, Gertrude B., daughter of Archibald and Annie (Coffin) Harris. They have three children, Henry Merritt, Burr Tiffany and Anna May.
DIEFFENBACHER, Jacob, Frankfort, was born in the duchy of Baden, Germany, March 18, 1845, he being one of eleven children of Engelhardt and Catherine Dieffenbacher. His father, ruined by revolution at home, emigrated to this country with his family in 1856, being assisted by William gates, into whose employ the family entered. During the Rebellion Mr. Dieffenbacher was employed in armories in the manufacture of army pistols and at the close of the war he engaged in the grocery and provision business at canal lock 45 in Frankfort, where he has since remained. He married, December, 1885, Pauline Bauer, a daughter of Frederick and Pauline (Bolza) Bauer, both natives of Saxony, who emigrated and settled in Utica. They have two children, Sarah M. and Theresa E.
DIETZ, Charles, Salisbury, was born in Germany, February 19, 1824. He came to this country in 1851. He has operated a tannery at Salisbury Center for the past nineteen years. Mr. Dietz married Christiana Pickett, a daughter of John Pickett, and they have three children, one son and two daughters. Mr. Dietz is a thorough and competent tanner and a reputable citizen. He gives employment to a number of assistants at different times.
DIEVENDORF, Jacob, German Flats, was born in 1814, and is one of the oldest inhabitants of the county. His life has been spent mostly in farming, and he has been very successful in every way. He is now president of the Mohawk National Bank, and formerly had various large interests that he has now centralized. His father was David Dievendorf and his grandfather Jacob, who came to this part 100 years ago. His nephew, R. M. Dievendorf, is one of the leading merchants of Mohawk.
DIXON & LEWIS, Litchfield, lime manufactures. The stone is taken out of the quarry near the kiln, and there are about 100 acres in the farm in connection with the kiln. They make about 20,000 bushels per year. Charles R. Dixon was born July 15, 1857 in Paris, Oneida county. He is a son of Henry and Clarissa Dixon, natives of Paris, Oneida county. Charles R. Dixon married first Cora Barnes, who died. He married second Sara P. Burdick, and they have three children, Harry A., Helen B. and Ruth. Fred Lewis was born in New Hartford, Oneida county, November 23, 1867. He married Edna Foss. He was a son of Thomas and Christiana Lewis.
DODGE, Ira, Litchfield, was born in Frankfort February 17, 1817. He has a dairy and grain farm of 122 acres. He was collector two years, constable seven years, and was also assessor and justice of the peace. He married Hannah Kellogg, of Litchfield, and they have two children, Charles M., of Auburn Theological School, who preached in Sennett last year, and returns there in June; and Frank L., assessor of the town of Litchfield. Ira Dodge is one of the sons of John Dodge, a sergeant in the Revolutionary War. He planted the United States flag on the wall of a fort and did not receive a wound, and from that incident it was said that he was bulled proof.
DOLGE, Carl O., Dolgeville, was born in Leipsic, Germany, August 29, 1859. He secured a good education in the schools of that town, and after serving three years in the German army came here in 1879, and entered the employ of Alfred Dolge, to whom he is related. By faithful and thorough service he was rapidly promoted, eventually reaching the position of chief clerk. After remaining with Mr. Dolge for ten years he started a grocery store in Dolgeville, which has proved a success, and to which he now devotes his entire attention.
DOLGE, Charles, Dolgeville, was born in Dessau, Germany. He received a good education in the schools of his native country and then went to England, where he engaged in the hotel business, then in Scotland. In 1885 he came to America, and after traveling extensively throughout all the States in the Union, decided to settle in Dolgeville, where he now conducts a leading hotel, which is patronized by societies and clubs, as well as by the general public. Mr. Dolge is a most popular caterer, and thoroughly understands the requirements of his patrons. He bought the hotel in February 1802.
DOLGE, Henry A., Dolgeville, was born in Germany on the 19th day of March, 1845. He was educated in the Gynasium College there, and in 1865 engaged in the commission business. Shortly afterwards he removed to South America , where he became identified with merchantile transactions, and in 1867 he operated a sugar plantation in the West Indies. The climate, not agreeing with his health, he came to New York City about 1870 and engaged for about twelve years in the real estate and the insurance brokerage business , which he relinquished to become identified with the extensive manufacturing industry of Alfred Dolge as resident manager at Dolgeville. He is also postmaster of the latter town. He married Miss E.W. Gunther, and they have one daughter living.
DONAHUE, Michael, one of the farmers of Litchfield, was born April 21, 1825, and settled in this town in 1853. He married Ann Paules, and they had six children, of whom five are living. The oldest is Rev. John F. Donahue, who was educated first at Manhattan College, New York, then Grand Seminary at Montreal, Canada, and his education was completed at St. Mary's Seminary at Baltimore. He was ordained priest March 30, 1883. He was sent one year to the Cathedral at Albany, N. Y., then to the parish of Rock City Falls of Saratoga county, where he remained about two years; then he was sent to Salem, Washington county, in 1887, where he still remains. The next son is Thomas P., who resides in Chicago. The third son, Edward, and fourth, Joseph P., are both residents of Chicago. The youngest is William, who is at home. The mother of this family, Ann Donahue, died July 23, 1880, aged fifty-two years. The only daughter, Julia A. Donahue, died December 8, 1878, aged twenty-three years.
DOOLITTLE, E. H., German Flats, Was born in Bradford, N. H., September 11, 1832. He came to Herkimer county in 1864, for twelve years was employed in the Remington Armory. In 1878 he was elected justice of the peace and held the office thirteen years. He has carried on a large business in real estate and insurance for several years. In 1857 he married Miss P. V. V. Groesbeck of Chittenango, N. Y., and they have three sons, W. G., Edward H. and Frank Hooker. Mr. Doolittle is a master Mason and has been justice of the sessions two years.
DOUGLAS, Dr, E.H.. Little Falls, was born in Saxonville, Mass., February 25, 1867. He received his preliminary education in the Litle Falls Academy, and was graduated from Dartsmouth Medical College in 1889. . He has since practiced medicine in Little Falls. Dr. Douglas is of Scotch extraction. His father Andrew Douglas, originally came from Scotland, and had for many years been identified with knit goods industries in Little Falls and Ilion. Dr. Douglas is a prominent member of the Arnanum, Elks, Red Men, Odd Fellows, and other leading social organizations. He is at present the Coroner of Herkimer county.
DOTY, E.L., German Flats, was born in Onadaga, April 8, 1850, and came to his present farm in 1863. His father was Abner Doty who died in 1890. The family came from Connecticut about the beginning of the century and are decendants of Edward Doty who came to this country on the Mayflower. In 1875, Mr. Doty married Grace L. Howard, and they have one son and two daughters. Mr. Doty is a Prohibitionist, and a member of the A.O.U.W. He grows a large quanity of strawberries averaging over 50,000 quarts annualy.
DOUGLASS, Dr. A. J., German Flats, was born in Lewis county in 1837 and graduated from the Long Island College Hospital in 1872. He has practiced medicine in Ilion since 1875. He has also been prominently connected with the school board, and has invented a blackboard crayon rack that is attracting much attention among educators. In 1892 Dr. Douglas was elected president of the village of Ilion. In 1872 he married Mary D. Chittenden. They have one son, Adelbert C.
DOUGLASS, Dr. Allison O., Little Falls, was born in Oneida county, N. Y. He received an academic education in Rome and Whitesboro. He graduated from the Long Island Medical College in 1876. He began practice immediately thereafter in Gray, Herkimer county, from which locality he removed to Little Falls in 1888. Dr. Douglas has a brother engaged in the practice of medicine in Ilion, N. Y., and another in Lowville, Lewis county, N. Y. He is of Scotch descent. Dr. Douglass enjoys and extensive and lucrative practice here.
DOWNING, Zeno I., D.D.S., Winfield, was born in Westmoreland, Oneoda county, October 14, 1837, educated in the common schools and Rome Acadamy; commenced the study of dental surgury with Dr. David W. Perkins of Rome, and S.F. Tremain. He commenced the practice of denistry in Rome in 1860 and West Winfield in 1865 where he has remained since. Has been Town Clerk for the last twelve years. He has been secretary of Winfield Lodge, F.& A.M. about fifteen years. He is also a member of the A.O.U.W. No.99. of which he has been recorder for five years. He is past master workman of that lodge, past master of F. & A. M., Number 581, and is a member of Windfield Council No. 1,033, R.A., of which he was secretary for three years. He married Sarah E., daughter of Dr. E.F. Beals, June 29, 1868, and they have one daughter, Carrie L.G., and have lost one son Warren Zeno who died June 9, 1889, aged nineteen years.
DUDLESTON, Jos. J., jr., Frankfort, was born in England, July 25, 1842. He was one of six children of Joseph J. and Mary (Williams) Dudleston. They emigrated to this country in 1845 and settled in Oneida county in April, 1846. Joseph J., jr., was educated in the common schools and at Whitestown Seminary. He read law in the office of S. & R. Earl, at Herkimer, at the same time engaged in teaching school. He was admitted to the bar in 1865, and since that time has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Frankfort. He was married in 1865 to Hattie N. Smith, of Schuyler. She died in July, 1876, leaving one daughter, H. Estella Dudleston. He subsequently married Cora A. Williams, of Herkimer. They have two children, Joseph J. and Gladis Dudleston. Mr. Dudleston has served the town as president of the village and school trustee, and was district attorney from 1876 to 1880.
DUDLEY, William Henry, M. D., Newport, was born at Madison, New Haven county, Conn., January 1, 1855, a son of Lucian W. and Mary E. (Page) Dudley. Lucian W. was a son of David, and he of Roswell who was a son of David, a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. The latter was a son Deacon David, who was a son of Ebenezer and he a son of John who came to Guilford, Conn. from England, in 1673, and the same year married Martha French, of Guilford Conn. The subject was one of two children (the brother being George W.), and settled in Newport in November, 1888. In his youth he attended the common school, and a preparatory select school of the grade of an academy. At eighteen years of age he entered the employ of the father at Norwich, Conn., as a drug clerk, remaining five years, when he entered the office of Dr. W. S. C. Perkins of that city to study medicine. In 1879 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of New York, which is now the medical department of Columbia, and remained there one year. Then spent two years at the University of the City of New York, where he graduated March 9, 1882. He then returned to Norwich, Conn. and practiced medicine for three years, when he removed to Butte City, Mont., where he remained two years. At that time he received the appointment of surgeon to the Elkhorn Mining Company, of Jefferson County, Mont, where he remained two years more. December 25, 1886, He married Lillian T. Fillmore, daughter of Ralph H. and Elizabeth (Fitch) Fillmore. Ralph H. Fillmore being a cousin of ex-President Fillmore. The grandfather of Mrs. Dudley, Comfort D. Fillmore was a soldier in the war of 1812. His wife, Annice, drew a pension until her death, at ninety-one years. Dr. and Mrs. Dudley have had two children: Earl W., who died May 27, 1887 aged four months and Ray W., born April 14, 1889. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and his wife of the M. E. Church. Dr. Dudley and his father are both Republicans. The doctor is vice-president of the Herkimer County Medical society; also on the consulting staff of the Faxton Hospital of Utica, N. Y. He is health officer of Newport, and also belongs to the fire company. He is a member of St. James Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 23, of Norwich Conn.; Iroquois Chapter, R. A. M., of Ilion, No. 236; of Little Falls Commandery, K. T. No. 26 and Ziyara Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. Also belongs to I. O. R. M., being sachem of the Tribe. Dr. Dudley while in Montana traveled through the National Park as surgeon to the Butte City Liederkranz Society, and wrote and published a book on its wonders.
DUNCKEL, Peter J., Dolgeville, was born at Frey's Bush, Montgomery county, May 27, 1828. George Dunckel, his great-grandfather, came from Germany and settled in Montgomery county early in the 17th century. George G. Dunckel, son of George Dunckel, and grandfather of Peter J., was a Revolutionary soldier and was wounded at the battle of Sharron. John Dunckel, jr. son of George G. and father of Peter J., was born and always lived at Frey's Bush, Montgomery count, where he followed the occupation of farming and blacksmithing, where he died at eight-five years of age. Peter J. Dunckel has followed grist-milling for a number of years. He owns a farm of 180 acres, besides other valuable property. His wife was Miss Lucy Woolever, a daughter of Nicholas Woolever. They have three children living.
DUTTON, Ward, Winfield, was born on a farm where he now lives, October 14, 1859, a son of Puffer Dutton, a native of this state, who settled on this farm about 1830. He married Susan, daughter of Nathan Layton of Richfield, and they have five children; Ward, Charles, Flora E., Sarah, and Helen Dutton. Ward and Sarah being the only survivors. Ward Dutton married in 1883 Eugenia Vrooman of Richfield Springs. She was a daughter of Nicholas and they had four children, Bessie, who died August 24,1886, Ethel, died January 29, 1887, Christabelle and Henry Ward.
DYGERT, Daniel, German Flats, was born in Little Falls, in 1847 and has been in Ilion for twenty-two years, fourteen of which have been spent in the grocery business which he still is successfully conducting. Before embarking in trade for himself Mr. Dygert was occupied in clerking for some time. He has been six years in one stand and has a large and high class trade. Mr. Dygert is a Mason of high standing, a member of the Iroquois Chapter and the Little Falls Commandery. He also belongs to the Knights of Honor and was a member of the Ilion School for six years, being its president one year. In 1872 he married Miss Grace W. Butts and has a family of one son and two daughters. Mr. Dygert's father was Harvey Dygert, also a native of Little Falls, and his grandfather Daniel Dygert, came from Canajoharie. He is recognized as one of the leading business men of Ilion, being highly respected everywhere.