Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
EARL, Robert, 2d, Herkimer, was born in Herkimer December 22, 1867. He received his education in the Herkimer schools, St. John's Military Academy, Manlius, N. Y., and Union College, Schenectady, N. Y. After the completion of his studies he entered the office of D. H. Burrell & Company Little Falls, N. Y., and later the office of Saxony Knitting Company of the same place. May 1, 1892, he was elected assistant cashier of the "Old" Herkimer Bank, Herkimer, N. Y., which position he now holds, Mr. Earl is a trustee of the village of Herkimer, and has the distinction of being the youngest member ever elected to that board. He is a Mason and a member of several social organization. He is a son of the late eminent Samuel Earl and a nephew of Chief Judge Robert Earl of the Court of Appeals of the State of New York.
EASTON, Hon. Henry L., Stark, came from Connecticut and settled in Cedarville. He was an extensive farmer and manufacturer and represented his district in the Assembly in 1837. His wife was Elizabeth Deivendorf, by whom he had five children: Mahlon, Ellen, Charlon, Hannah and Frank. He died from an accident in the saw-mill aged seventy-five. His son, Charlon, was born in Cedarville. He resides at Richfield Springs, being a contractor and builder by trade. He is a Mason and a member of the Royal Arcanum. He married Mary, daughter of John and Hannah (Cronkite) Coapman of Hallsville, by whom he had two children: Fred E. and Maude M. Fred E. Easton was born December 18, 1861, in Cedarville, receiving a common and high school education. He taught school for three years. At fifteen he began the study of medicine. At eighteen he entered an office at Moravia, Cayuga county. In the winter of 1881-82 he took a course in the Albany Medical College, and was a student of Dr. A. Vandeveer. He graduated in 1884 from Long Island Hospital, at Brooklyn. In 1885 he located at Richfield Springs, and in July, 1890, removed to Van Hornesville. He was health officer at Richfield Springs three years, was four years clerk of Board of Education, and is health officer where he now resides. He is an active member of the County Medical Society and the Royal Arcanum. He is a Republican. He married, October 5, 1886, Celestia Edna, daughter of Barton and Melvina (Wood) Richardson, of Cayuga county. They are Universalists.
EATON, Irving, farmer, of Little Falls, was born on the farm where he now lives November 15, 1833, and his father before him was also born on this farm. He is one of the recognized leading farmers of the county, liberal-minded and intelligent, and in addition to farming 200 acres of land-his own property-also gives considerable attention to bees, of which he has about forty hives. In 1870 he married Amy Keyser, and they have two children, Belle L. and Grace L., the former nineteen, and the latter fourteen years of age. The family are members of the Universalist Church. Mr. Eaton is a Republican in politics, and liberal in his views.
EATON, Volney, Herkimer, is a native of Eatonsbush, this county, and is the son of a farmer. He is a direct descendant of Francis Eaton, who came over in the Mayflower. His father took part in the war of 1812 and served at Sackett's Harbor. General Eaton, of Revolutionary fame, was also an ancestor of Mr. Volney Eaton. Mr. Eaton has been in the saw-mill business for some years. Latterly he has retired from active business. He has twice been high sheriff, once of Herkimer County, once of Ionia, Michigan. In politics he is a Republican, and was one of the first organizers of the Republican party in this part.
ECKEL, Fred W., Herkimer, was born in Syracuse. After receiving a good common school education, he learned the machinist trade, at which he afterwards worked for thirteen years, traveling during this time extensively. Among the many States that he visited we may mention Texas, Kansas, Colorado, California, Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, etc. He followed mining for some time in California. Mr. Eckel took charge of the Mansion House, Herkimer, about two years ago. This hotel can accommodate about fifty guests, although as many as 160 have been provided for on especial occasions. Mr. Eckel's uncle, Philip Eckel, was chief of the Fire Department of Syracuse for twenty-five years, and was killed on duty. The family has served in the war of the Rebellion, and has been identified with the best interests of the locality.
ECKLER, Hendrick, Warren, with his family came from Holland and settled in Warren about 1765. He had a son Captain Henry, who was born in Holland, who received his father's homestead of 100 acres. He had four sons: Christian, John, Daniel and Henry. John Eckler was born in the homestead and spent his life there. His wife was Sophia Van Horne, who bore him five children: John, Thomas, Henry, Christina, Mary A., the latter the only one living. John Eckler was born on the homestead in September, 1810, and died September 9, 1876. He was twice married, first to Hannah Van Denberg, who bore him three children: Clarinda, Orange and Van Denberg (deceased.) His second wife was Hannah, daughter of Cornelius and Eva Cronkhite, who bore him four children: Foster (deceased), Mariette (deceased), Lester C. and Rose. His second wife died in 1872. Lester C. Ecker was born March 1, 1847, in Springfield, where Hendrick Eckler first settled. He added sixty acres to the original farm and lived there until March 1, 1886, when he bought the Hotel in Warren and has since conducted it. He received an academic education, is a Mason and a Republican, and has been postmaster under Harrison. He married, December 14, 1870, Julia, daughter of David and Christina (Harder) Johnson, and they have one child, Ralph J.
ECKLER, James, was born where he now resides October 2, 1813, a son of Christian and Hannah (Crine) Eckler. His grandfather John came from Germany in colonial days and settled on fifty acres, which he cleared and improved, and owned 100 acres before his death. His father, John, with three sons came to Warren. John Eckler married first a Miss Hoover, and they has these children: Peter, Jacob, Daniel, Henry and Christian, Betsey and Peggie. Christian was born on the homestead in 1790, where he died in 1841. His wife was a daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Hoover) Crim, and they had eight children: James, Elizabeth deceased, Peggy deceased, Hannah, Catharine, Lydia A., Eva and Angeline. Mrs. Hannah Eckler died June 20, 1876. James was raised on a farm and received a district school education. He has always resided on the homestead which he owns. He is an active Democrat.
ECKLER, Jeremiah, Warren, was born in Little Lakes, April 2, 1824, a son of Henry and Lydia (Conklin) Eckler. The grandfather was Peter, who came from Germany prior to the Revolution and settled on Otsquago Creek in Warren and served in the war as captain. He had many an interesting experience with the Indians, once having a wrestle with one of their chiefs. He also served in the war of 1812. He was twice married and had a large family. One son, Henry was born in Warren and served in the war of 1812. He died, aged sixty-five, before the Rebellion. His wife died in 1889. She was born in August, 1803, and they had ten children, nine of whom survived; William, of Iowa; Hannah, deceased; Jerry, Henry, of Stark; Jacob, of Otsego county; Lydia, Nancy deceased; Thomas, Mary, deceased; Mahlon. Jeremiah was reared on a farm and received a district school education. At the age of twelve he began for himself on a farm and at the same time assisted his family. In 1851 he located where he resides, and rented 250 acres. In 1861 he bought the place, to which he has added many improvements and fine buildings, and he now owns 280 acres. In 1872 he built a cheese factory, which burned in 1882, which he rebuilt, and now makes about 2,500 pounds per week. He is a Democrat in politics. His wife was Delia Osterhout, born in Warren, a daughter of Jacob and Polly (Devoe) Osterhout, who were early pioneers. Mr. and Mrs. Eckler have had six children, five of whom survive: Isaiah, of Mohawk; Delilah, wife of Horatio Mayer: Irvin, of Little Lakes; William, of Springfield; Ester who died young, and Harvey.
EDES, James, Manheim, was born in England in the year1835. In 1854 he came to this country and commenced to work on a farm, and after an industrious period he was enabled to purchase his present fine property of 190 acres of dairy land upon which he keeps 55 head of honed cattle, four horses, besides other stock. His wife was Miss Charlotte Boyce, and English lady, who died in April 1890. Mr. Edes has had six children, two boys and four girls. Mr. Edes is a through representative and prosperous farmer
EDICK, Henry, jr., Herkimer, was born in Columbia. His family are of German descent, but located here over one hundred years ago, where they have since continued to live, taking an active part in local business and political circles. In 1889 Mr. Edick assumed charge of the Tower House in Herkimer, changing the name to Edick House, which he and his father continued to run until they purchased the Waverly House in this village, and disposed of their interests in the Edick House. Mr. Henry Edick, jr., has held the office of constable, to which office he was appointed when twenty-one years of age, deputy sheriff for three years, collector of the town (Columbia) for one year. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and associated with local socials organizations. His wife was Miss Libbie Barber, of Columbia, and they have two daughters. His new hotel, the Waverly, has accommodations for from fifty to sixty guests.
EDICK, John C., Herkimer, was born in Columbia, upon the old homestead of 180 acres, which is yet in his possession and upon which his son, William Edick, resides. Mr. Edick married Miss Margaret Hewnerand, has a family of five daughters and two sons, all living. He is of Mohawk Dutch descent, his ancestors being identified with the war of the Revolution and that of 1812. This family is well and favorably known in Columbia, with whose best interests they have been associated for generations. Mr. Edick retired from agricultural pursuits some months since, and is now proprietor of the Edick House.
EDSALL, Dr. Irving S., was born October 15, 1858, a son of William and Jane (Swartout) Edsall, residents of Delaware county, N. Y. He attended Roxbury public school until eighteen years of age, when he entered the Albany Normal School, from which he graduated in 1879. He taught school for a time, then commenced the study of medicine, entering the Albany Medical College in the fall of 1882. He graduated in March, 1885, and settled in Middleville the same year. He is a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society, of which he was vice-president in 1890 and president in 1891. He is also a member of Newport Lodge F. &. M. No. 455; of Nehasena Tribe I. O. R. M. of Newport, of which he is a charter member; and also belongs to the Middleville Council royal Arcanum No. 1335, in which order he served as medical examiner. He is a Republican in politics and was appointed county physician in 1888. He is member of the Board of Trustees in Middleville and was one of its original trustees when it was incorporated, in 1890. In 1892 he was elected its president. Dr. Edsall is a member of M. E. Church, of which he is Sunday-school superintendent. September 11, 1885, He married Ella Sikes, adopted daughter of Harvey Sikes of Greene county, N. Y. They have one child, William born in 1890.
EGGLESTON, Oscar E., Winfield, was born in Winfield January 12, 1837, and married October 16, 1861, Hannah E., daughter of William and Lucinda (Smith) McLaughton. Her father was a son of David, who was the only child of William McLaughton, one of the first settlers of this town, and a thoroughly representative man, religious, publicspirted and upright. His life as a man and citizen is worthy of imitation. He had three children: William Milton, David L., and Hanna E., all living at the present time. Oscar Eggleston and wife have one child, William Seymour. Subject owns the old McLaughton farm. He has a combination of twelve cheese factories, which he runs; also is a breeder of fine horses.
ELLIS, Alanson, Russia, was born in Rome, Oneida county, July 22, 1828, and is a son of Daniel and Sallie (Coy) Ellis. The grandfather of Alanson was Asa, a son Daniel Ellis, who served in the Revolutionary War. Asa was a native of Connecticut, and came to Madison county, N. Y., where he lived and died in 1838. His wife was Lavina Ellis, who died in 1838, by whom he had two sons and two daughters. Mr. Ellis was in the war of 1812. Alanson Ellis was reared on a farm and received a common school education. In 1850 Sarah Cow, a native of Ireland, became his wife, and they had one son and five daughters, of whom two are living, Francis and Mary. Mrs. Ellis died in 1866, and in 1867 Mr. Ellis married Ruth Wheaton, of Rome, N. Y., by whom he had two children, Jennie and Emma. Mrs. Ellis died in 1879, and in 1882 he married Louisa Hazelton, of Middleville. For thirty-two seasons, beginning with 1847, Mr. Ellis was a boatman on the Erie Canal. In 1877 he went to Ohio, Herkimer county, where he and a brother bought a saw-mill, in which they were engaged six years. Mr. Ellis then went to Iowa, where he followed butchering and farming. From 1880 to 1881 he resided in Newport and then became a farmer of Poland. In 1886 he commenced butchering in Poland, which he has since followed. He is a Democrat.
ELLIS, Lorenzo, Russia, was born in Westmoreland, Oneida county, January 6, 1836, a son of Daniel Ellis, born in Slab City, Madison county, in 1802. He married Sallie Coy, a native of Madison county, by whom he had five sons and one daughter, Orrin, Alanson, Orlando, LeRoy, Lorenzo and Louisa. He went to Oneida county and followed farming, and later in life became a boatman on the Erie Canal. He died in Oneida county in 1858 and his wife in 1874. Lorenzo Ellis married November 12, 1858, Jane, daughter of Ozias and Emily (Jenkins) Wilcox, natives of Oneida county. To Mr. Ellis and wife seven children have been born: Frank W., Mary M., Walter and Eugene C., living, and Charles, Lewis and Alice deceased. Mr. Ellis was a boatman on the Erie Canal from 1847 to 1863. He then went to Newport, where he was engaged in lumbering on year and in the express and stage business eighteen years. In 1887 he went too Poland and engaged in the hotel business. In 1889 he purchased property now known as the Ellis House, of which his son Frank is proprietor. Mr. Ellis also has a good livery. He is a Republican.
ELLIS, Thomas W., Warren, was born in Albany, August 16, 1841, and is a son of Thomas Ellis and wife. The latter were born in Yorkshire, England, and settled in Albany in 1841, where he followed carriage making. In 1844 he came to Little Lakes and carried on a shop, employing from five to sixteen men. They had twelve children. Thomas W. Ellis at the age of sixteen began his trade in his father's shop, and has followed it since. He is a Democrat, and has been town clerk. He married November 17, 1889, Pauline Colyer, daughter of James and Corintha Armstrong. They have one child, Annetta.
ELLSWORTH, Myron K., one of two children of Myron and Martha (Kinney) Ellsworth, both of Litchfield, was born in that town June 22, 1845. The grandfather Thomas Ellsworth was a native of Vermont. The ancestry on both sides of the family is English, Sir John Kinney having been an ancestor on the mother's side. Myron K. married, December 3, 1868, Mary E., a daughter of Wm. H. and Elizabeth (Flagg) Van Dusen of Frankfort. They have three children living, Minnie, Helen L. and Elmer M. Mr. Ellsworth was a soldier, enlisting in the 2d Regiment, Company K, N.Y. Heavy Artillery, taking part in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Tolopotomy Creek, North Ann River, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, two raids across the James River and other engagements until the close of the war. In 1890, compelled by ill health to leave the farm, he moved to the village of Frankfort and engaged in the business of real estate and insurance. He was also a justice of the peace.
ELLSWORTH, Sylvester, Stark, was born near Penn Yan, where his father was a pioneer, and came to Stark, where he married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Hawick, of Ohio, about 1820, and settled at Richmond, Ohio, where he ran a hotel and grocery business. Owing to failing health he came back to Stark, leaving his family, and he went out to Saratoga, where he died in 1826, leaving widow and five children: Edith, Mulberry, Judiah, Sylvester H. and Nelson. Edith and Sylvester H. survive. His wife died here in 1864, aged sixty-seven. Sylvester Ellsworth was born in the State of Ohio, November 17, 1822, and came to Stark, with his mother, at the age of fourteen. He began working by the month on a farm at twenty-two with his mother. He bought sixty acres of land in town and began farming, adding to this 160 acres adjoining. He still owns 100 acres here. In 1864 he bought and located on 200 acres one mile east of Starkville, where he now resides, owning one-third of a farm of 100 acres. He served as supervisor five terms on the Democratic ticket, is a leading Mason, and a member of Utica Commandery, Mystic Shrine. Mr. Ellsworth married February 1, 1848, Betsey M., daughter of Warner and Margaret (Guyts) Nellis. They have five children: Ellen, wife of Anthony Roof; Clark, Charles, Frank and Martha, wife of Charles Ward. Charles and Frank are in San Francisco.
ELWOOD families, of America, are believed to have descended from Richard Elwood, an Englishman, who, with his wife, came to this country in 1748. He built, on the turnpike a short distance east of the present site of St. Johnsville, a stone house which he occupied, and which was afterwards used as a fort. The house is still standing. His children were: Richard, Benjamin, Peter, Isaac, Mrs. Van Allen, and Mrs. Scouten.\par \tab The son Peter was born March 5, 1754. He married Peggy Nellis and moved to Hallsville, Montgomery county, where he rented a farm for the consideration of an ear of corn an acre. He was frozen to death in the winter of 1831, having lost his way in a blinding snowstorm. Nine children survive him: Henry, Nancy, Mary, Peggy, Elizabeth, Richard, David, Peter, and George.\par \tab David Elwood, born January 6, 1794, married Nancy Baum and settled in Stark in 1813, where he died in 1859. They had these children: Daniel, Nancy, Moses, Henry D., Sally, and David, B. He was a man of influence in local affairs and a prominent man in the work of the church. Mrs. Polly Stringer Ecker, his second wife, now lives in Starkville.\par \tab The son, Moses Elwood, was born June 11, 1817. The common schools and the library gave him his education. In 1842 he married Mary C. Springer, who came from Rensselaer county and settled in Warren. Married life began on the farm where he now resides and which has been enlarged and greatly imporved. He has served as justice of the peace sixteen years, and as commissioner of highways. He is a member and trustee of the M.E. church and has always been a liberal supporter of it. Mrs. Elwood died in 1887. They had eight children: Isaac N., who died at Flint, Mich., was a prominent and leading member of the Detroit M.E. conference; Philip H. resides in Stark as is an extensive bee-keeper; Urias D. resides at home; Mary A. died at the age of nineteen; Mrs. Elizabeth D. Baird, of Amsterdam; Chas. A.; Jennie A., and Hattie F. now live at the old homestead.\par \tab Charles A. Elwood was born March 18, 1857. He received the advantages of a common school, and now has charge of the homestead. He is prominently concerned in church and Sunday school work. In 1888 he was an active and influencial member of the board of supervisors. In politics he is a Republican, as have been all the Elwoods of this town. February 20, 1878, he married Sarah D. Krum, daughter of William and Eliza Shaut Krum. The joy of their home centers in the two children, Gertrude M., a girl of fourteen, and Arthur, a lively and thoughtful boy of eleven years.
ELWOOD, David B. (deceased) was born May 3, 1831, a mile south of Starkville, son of David and Nancy (Baum) Elwood. He received a district school education, and was twice married, first, September 22, 1852, to Sarah, daughter of John and Eliza (Hall) Smith, who died October 1, 1855. November 11, 1857, he married, second, Martha Springer, of Stark, born March 4, 1836, a daughter of Jacob L. and Mary (Dater) Springer. The grandfather was Loadwick Springer. Jacob L. was born in Stark. In early days he was a colonel of militia, and an active Whig and Republican. He died in 1834. They had eight childfen: Louis H., Philip, Catharine, Hannah, Elizabeth, Martha and Caroline. Mrs. Springer was born in Brunswick, a daughter of Henry and Christina (Fake) Dater. She died in 1884 in her eighty-sixth year. Subject's second wife bore him seven children: Edwin, who died, aged four; Sarah (Mrs. Hale A. Mixer), Willie E., died, aged two; Ellis D., Mary E. (Mrs. Willis Davis), John S. and Carrie D. Subject and his wife were members of the Lutheran church. David B. lived and died where his widow now resides on 225 acres. His widow and son retain the homestead.
ELWOOD, Jacob, a native of Holland, was one of the pioneers of Warren when he died. He had six children: Jacob, Benjamin, Joseph, John, Catharine and Elizabeth. Joseph was born in Warren January 27, 1803, where he learned the trade of wagonmaker. He married Betsey Cook and settled in Springfield, Otsego county. He died January 10 1890. He had four children: Theodore, Delevan, Caroling and Emeline. His wife died January 10, 1892, aged eighty-two. She was born in Springfield, a daughter of Peabody and Mary (Pickard) Cook. Delevan Elwood was born August 29, 1835, in Springfield. At sixteen he began for himself, working by the month on a farm. He worked in a machine shop in Van Hornesville for about ten years, then engaged in teaming. For the past fourteen years he has been farming. For two years he ran the Hotel American at Van Hornesville about 1854. He has served as deputy sheriff six years, town clerk two terms and has been supervisor. He is a Republican and a Mason. He married September 24, 1854, Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel and Catharine (Bachus) Snider, of Stark.
ELY, Lester, Warren, was born in Theresa, Feb. 15, 1834, a son of Alva and Harriet (Davidson) Ely. His grandfather was Samuel Ely, who was a son of Simeon, whose father came from England and settled in Mass. Simeon Ely was born in Mass. and came to Warren; his wife was Ruth, who bore him five children. Samuel Ely was also born in Mass., and died in Warren in 1851, aged seventy-seven; his wife was Fannie Cooley, who bore him five children; she died in 1861, aged eighty-nine. Alva Ely was born in Warren, Dec. 2, 1802, and married Harriet Davidson. He died in 1885, and his wife five years earlier. They had eleven children. Lester Ely was raised in Jefferson and came to Warren when nineteen. In 1862 he bought 126 acres of land where he now resides, and now owns 187 acres. He is a Democrat, and has been assessor. He married Jan. 1, 1861, Mary daughter of John and Susan Ousterhout, and has five children, Alice, wife of Rufus Backus; Mary, wife of Rev. D. D. O'Dell, a Baptist minister; George, of Omaha, William of Omaha, Opal.
ELY, Samuel, Warren, was born where he now live, near the south line of Warren, November 29, 1807 and is a son of Samuel and Fannie (Cooley) Ely. His grandfather was Simeon Ely of English descent and born near West Springfield, Mass. In 1805 he settled on the farm where the subject now lives, and died there in 1815, aged eighty-five. The subject's father was born in Massachusetts in 1774, and came with his parents to the present homestead in 1805. He died in 1851 in his seventy-seventh year and his wife died about 1862 in her ninetieth year. They had five children. Our subject has always lived on the homestead, has never been sued and has never sued, has not tasted liquor in fifty-three years, and has been a member of the M. E. Church fifty-four years. He married in 1831, Mary A., daughter of George and Betsy (Cooke) Snyder, and they have had seven children: Lorana, wife of James Pollard, dead, left one son: Ann wife of Ira Dunckel: Helen, wife of Rosell Warren; Wesley, Elizabeth, died unmarried; Fannie A., and Darwin who served three years in the 121st N. Y. Volunteers. Mrs. Ely died in 1880 in her seventy-second year.
EMERY, John, Russia, was born in Ohio, November 23, 1824, a son of Rowland Emery, born in Charlestown in 1786. He came to Ohio at an early day, one of the pioneer settlers, where he spent most of his life. His wife was Elizabeth Jones, by whom he had two sons and six daughters. His brother, Matthew, was in the War of 1812. Rowland Emery died in Ohio in 1849, and his wife died in 1842. In 1846 John Emery married Mary A. Curtis, borne in Schoharie county February 25, 1828, a daughter of Joseph and Amie Curtis, who about 1838 came from Duanesburg, Schoharie count and settled in Ohio where they reared four sons and sevens daughters. Mr. Emery at the age of nineteen years was captain in the militia under Governor Bouck. He was highly honored in his native town, being excise commissioner for four years, a member of the auditing board for four years, supervisor 1866-67, justice of the peace from 1866 to 1870, and was one of the members who incorporated the M. E. Church in Ohio. He held all the offices in that church in time, and was superintendent of the Sunday-school for fifteen years. He moved from the town of Ohio to the village of Poland, January 1, 1889, where he now lives. His grandfather, Robert Emery, was born in New York and early in life settled in Montgomery county. He died in Stratford, aged ninety-three.
ENOS, William P., Herkimer, was born in the town of Ohio, March 30, 1830. He received a common school education and after learning the machines trade, at which he worked for thirty years traveling to many cities and States in the prosecution this industry. He afterwards purchased his farm on the Steuben road of 140 acres of dairy land upon which he has since lived. He keeps twenty-five or thirty head of stock and cuts from sixty to seventy tons of hay. He married Miss L. Sherman and has a son and a daughter. The family is of New England descent. He was in the ordnance department of government service as inspector during the war.
EVANS, James H., Herkimer, was born in Granville, Washington county, N. Y., November 14, 1839. He received a good education in the schools of Cohoes, and at an early age entered the employ of the Ogden Mills there, later on assuming charge of the spinning rooms, and in 1869, became identified with the knitting industry in Cohoes. He came to Herkimer in 1877, and entered the employ of Morris Mark with whom he remained until the formation of Gem Knitting Company four years ago, of which he became the leading partner and practical head. The other members of the concern are H. A. Deimel, C. R. Snell, and M. A. Deimel. Employment is furnished to 150 hands, and Swiss Ribbed Underwear in cotton, wool and silk is produced, three hundred dozen being turned out per day. The factory is a large three-story brick building with basement and contains all modern improvements and machinery. The products are disposed of through their New York office at 48 Leonard street. Mr. Evans is a thirty-second degree Mason.
EYSAMAN, Horace, Little Falls was born in Little Falls in 1834. He is of German ancestry, the family three generations back having settled in this town. They participated in the War of the Revolution and in 1812 and have since been identified with the best interests of community. Mr. Eysaman owns a dairy farm of 180 acres, including a fine orchard and buildings. His wife was Mary E. Smith of Herkimer county, by whom he has three children, a son and two daughters. Mr. Eysaman has filled a number of acceptable local offices such as assessor, etc. He is a member of the Presbyterian church.