Family Sketches


A
- B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.

GAGE, James E., Little Falls, one of Little Falls\rquote most enterprising and prosperous business men, is a native of this village. He, after receiving a sound education in the schools and academy here, entered active business operations in 1861 as a clerk, and after having been associated with several prominent firms in different positions of responsibility, in 1878 inaugurated his present flour and feed establishment, which has since its inception taken a leading position among the sound mercantile concerns of Herkimer County. Mr. Gage is identified both socially and financially with Little Falls\rquote best interests; he is a high-up Mason, a member of the Royal Arcanum and other organizations.

GARDINIER, Albert, Danube, was born on the old farm upon which he still lives and owns, April 19, 1834. This land was bought by his grandfather who lived and died upon it and is buried in the old burying ground on the farm. His father, John Gardinier, also lived, died and is buried here. Albert Gardinier received a good education in the schools of this vicinity and has served the town of Danube as assessor several terms. He married Fanny Burrell of Herkimer county and they have three sons and three daughters. He is a successful farmer and has about two hundred acres of fine dairy land and keeps on an average fifty head of cattle besides other stock.

GARLINE, Charles, Warren, was born in Verona, Oneida county, December 5, 1850, a son of Nicholas and Mary A. Garline, natives of Germany. The former came to the United States about 1843, and located in Oneida county, where he resided until his death, in the spring of 1883, aged seventy-three years. He is of Catholic faith, and a Republican in politics. He was twice married and had three children: Seaman, Charles and Mary. The latter died at nine years of age. His wife died in 1854. She was born in Germany and her father was a Mr. Miller, who came to the United States about 1835. Nicholas Garline married for his second wife Margaret Shoemaker, who came from Germnay. Charles Garline received a common school education and has made his own way in life since fifteen years of age. At twenty he began for himself on the canal, which he followed for two years. In 1873 he came to Warren, and in 1874 began as cheese maker, which he continued four years. In the spring of 1879 he bought the Cullen cheese factory, which he has operated since, making on an average 100,000 pounds a year. He is now assessor, and has also served as collector and constable. He is an active Democrat, and a member of the Royal Arcanum and the Grange. He married in 1876, Alice C. Ball, who was born in Litchfield, daughter of Horatio and Roxie (Manning) Ball, natives of Herkimer county. Subject has three children: William S., Leon F. and Charles

GARLOCK, William H., Russia, was born November 23, 1821, and is the son of Philip, who was a son of George P. Garlock, a native of Canajoharie, where he lived as a farmer, his death occurring at the age of eighty-six years. He had nine sons and four daughters. Philip Garlock was born in Canajoharie, was reared on a farm and received a common school education. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Adam Garlock, and they had six sons and one daughter. Mr. Garlock served in the war of 1812. He died in December, 1865, aged seventy-two years and his wife died in April, 1844, aged fifty-six years. Subject was reared on a farm and received a common school education, and married Elizabeth Woodin, a native of Russia. Her parents were Isaac and Sylvia Woodin, whom we have mentioned elsewhere in this work. In 1834 William H. came with his parents and settled in Russia, where he has since resided and followed farming. He has been a Republican since 1855, and has been justice of the peace thirteen years. He and wife are members of the Free Will Baptist Church. They have two sons, George and Corey, both residents of Grant, George being postmaster at the place and Corey being assistant. Corey has been deputy sheriff four years, and George justice of the peace eight years. For the past two years George has been agent for the Deering Company in Chicago. The Garlock family is of German descent, and came to this country in 1708, settling in Schoharie county. Adam Garlock on the maternal side was in the battle of Oriskany under General Nicholas Herkimer, and subject's great-grandfather on his father's side was Peter Garlock, who was over 100 years of age at the time of his death. Adam Garlock saved one of his neighbors from the scalping knife in the early days.

GARNER, George C., Danube, was born in the town of Danube, December 25, 1851. His grandfather, Jack Garner, settled in Jefferson county, N.Y. His father, Peter Garner, had a family of four children, three sons and one daughter. George C. Garner married Helen M. Waltmouth, they have no children. Mr. Garner owns 300 acres of land devoted to dairy purposes and forty head of stock. He is a member of the Grange and has served as excise commissioner of Danube.

GERHART, Louis, Dolgeville, was born in Germany, June 28, 1852. He received a good education in the schools of Germany, and in 1870 came to this country. After working on a farm for some time, Mr. Gerhart learned the mason trade, and worked in this industry for seventeen years, after which he purchased a very desirable property in Dolgeville, opposite the Cottage Hotel, and established his present liquor business, which he has since most successfully conducted. Mr. Gerhart married Miss Wagner. They have two children, a boy and a girl.

GERSTENLAUER, Gottlieb, Norway, Herkimer county, was born in Germany, October 31, 1839. His parents were Michael and Dorothea Gerstenlauer, who had three sons and three daughters. Mr. Gerstenlauer died in Germany, May 9, 1862, and his wife December 21, 1860. Gottlieb was reared on a farm in Germany. In 1867 he came to America and worked twelve years for Hinckley & Ballou of Hinckley. In 1867 he married Sarah Brand of Morehouseville, Hamilton County, born April 5, 1851, a daughter of Frederick and Mary Brand, and they have three children, Dorothea, Clara and Grace. In 1880 Mr. Gerstenlauer settled on a farm in Norway, where he has since resided. He is independent in politics. He and his family are members of the German Lutheran Church.

GETMAN, Clark, M.D., Salisbury Corners, was born in Columbia, Herkimer County, November 14, 1854. His ancestors were of Revolutionary stock. He received an academic education in the institutions of Winfield and Cazenovia, and graduated from the Medical department of the University of Buffalo, N.Y. in 1883. He immediately thereafter commenced the practice of his profession here in Dolgeville where he remained for eight years, enjoying a large and lucrative practice, during which time he erected a fine block on Main Street, and other buildings, which he still owns. Dr. Getman then removed to Salisbury Center, where he is now practicing. He married Miss Cole, of Richfield, and they have two children, a son and a daughter. Dr. Getman is identified with the Masons, Odd Fellows, etc.

GETMAN, Mahlon, German Flats, was born in Columbia June 6, 1835, and was engaged in farming until 1867, when he embarked in the cheese business and is today one of the largest dealers and mauufacturers in the county.. He owns four factories and manages two others. The annual export of his own four factories averages about 400,000 pounds. Mr. German married Sarah A., daughter of Erastus Holmes, in 1858, and they have one daughter, Mrs. Truman Snell, of Manheim. Mr.Getman has been president of the village of Mohawk, and also held official positions in Columbia.

GETMAN, Sanford, German Flats, was born in German Flats, March 23, 1833, a son of Jacob Getman, a farmer. At the age of ten years Mr. Getman entered the Armory, at the old shop, and five years later he started the first bus line here. This he sold at the opening of the war and went into the flour and feed business. In 1860 he married Julia E. Lyman. He has always been an ardent Democrat, and has served as supervisor and assessor nine years.

GETMAN, Sanford, Schuyler, is a native of Columbia, Herkimer county, born May 13, 1826. He owns a grass farm of 106 acres. HIs grandfather came from Fulton county, nerar Fort Plain. His father was John G. Getman. In 1852 he married Lucy J. Burrell, and they have had five children, four of whom survive: Lewis G., William D., Haratio Setmour and Jessee S. Their oldest son Jay B. is dead. Mr. Getman has been a member of both the Masonic and I.O.O.F orders, and in politics is a prohibitionist. Also a member of the ME Church and class leader for twenty years.

GETTLEY, John., German Flats, was born in Germany and came to Ameica in 1854. He was a painter by trade, but went into the plumbing business two years ago, in the firm of Metsger & Gettley. Mr. Gettley is a master Mason, a member of the Royal Acacum and is a Republican. In 1861 he married Misss Mary A. Metsger and they had one daughter, Rachel B.

GEYWITS, Adam, Warren, was born near Van Hornesville, town of Stark, December 18, 1846, was a son of Isaac and Lana (Springer) Geywits. The grandfather, John, was born in Stark. His father came from Germany in colonial days, and settled about a mile north of Van Hornesville, where he died. He owned 580 acres in Stark. He died in 1813. His wife was Elizabeth Fish, by whom he had these children: John, Adam, Isaac, Susan, Irena and Margaret. Isaac was born in Stark, December 19, 1813, a carpenter and builder by trade. He and C.T.E. Van Horne built the saw-mill at Van Hornesville in 1859. He died there May 17, 1887. He was a Whig and Republican, and was twice married. His first wife bore him nine children, four of whom survive: Adam, George, who died, aged twenty-one; David and Elizabeth Miller. His wife died in 1861. His second wife was Elizabeth (Chappel) Fort. Subject's mother was born in Stark, a daughter of Loadwick Springer, whose wife was a Miss Coon. Adam was raised in Van Hornesville, and received a common school education, and at eighteen he began for himself, working for O.A. Shipman & Son. At twenty-one he engaged in the cheese box business, with D.S. Tilyon, one year. He rented the saw-mill of his father for four years; then, in 1875, he engaged in furniture manufacture at Van Hornesville, continuing some ten years, the first and only factory of its kind in the village. In 1885 he located on 112 acres, where he now resides. He is a Republican. On December 30, 1878, he married Angeline, daughter of Cornelius J. and Rachel (Druse) Connine, natives of Springfield. Mr. Connine was a son of Cornelius Connine, who early came to Springfield, and whose father came from Holland. Subject has three children: George C., Charles W. and Calista E.

GIBSON, Burr, Ohio, was born in Ohio, September 1, 1865. He is a son of Samuel and Susan Gibson, whom we have mentioned elsewhere in this work. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools. In 1867 he married Addie Case, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of George and Mary Case, of Ohio. To Mr. Gibson and wife two children have been born, Willie and Nora, both living. Mr. Gibson is a farmer and Democrat. {Note:these dates do not make sense but they are verbatim from the book}

GINBEY, James S., Winfield, was born in Winfield August 27, 1850, a son of James Ginbey, who settled in this town in March, 1848, from London, England. His wife was Mary Ann Thomas, of Welch birth. They are both living in Winfield. James S. Ginbey married Almina Seckner, of Columbia, February 12, 1879. James S. Ginbey has a farm of 112 acres, on which he settled in 1876. He bought the farm from Sanders Dodge in 1882, and still owns it, having added many buildings and made it very complete. He has cleared a part of the farm from the woods and improved the remainder.

GIRD, Emma L., Litchfield, a native of this town, born on the farm where she now lives, is a daughter of John Gird, who was a native of Trenton. He came here about 1812, with his mother, from New York city. He was a son of Henry Gird, who was a publisher of a newspaper in New York city, who came from Wesford, Ireland, and was a colonel in the English army. He settled in Warrington, and bought a place of George Washington, which is still in the family and occupied by his granddaughter, Mrs. Frankland. The mother of John Gird, was Mary, daughter of Richard Smith, who settled at Cedar Lake farm, now owned by the Sewell Morgan estate. The mother of Emma L. Gird was Laura, daughter of Sylvanius King, a native of Monson, Massachusetts. He was a descendant of William King, who came over in the Mayflower. William King, one of that family, was the first Governor of the State of Maine. There are now living seven children of John and Laura Gird: Henry S., Mary H., Richard, Mrs. H.P. Martin, L. John, William K., and Emma L. Gird, the last of whom occupies and conducts the farm for the estate.

GLIDDEN, DR. Charles H., of Little Falls, was born in Orleans county, N.Y., in 1856, received his education at the Brockport State Normal school, graduating from the institution in 1875. He was principal of the Union school at Caledonia, N.Y., one year and of the academy at Avon Springs, N.Y., two years. He beacme a student in the office of Dr. E.M. Moore, of Rochester, N.Y., in 1878, graduated from the Medical department of Columbia College in New York City in 1881, and commenced the practice of his profession here in the same year. He is present city physician and has served several times as city health officer. He is a member of the American Medical Society and a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society. He married Miss Margaret C. Milne, of Orleans county, N.Y , in November 1991. Dr. Glidden conducts an extensive practice here.

GOES, Martin, Warren, was born in Root, Montgomery County, February 20, 1833, and is a son of David and Lydia (Hale) Goes. His grandfather, Derrick, came from Holland and settled at Kinderhook. The subject's father was born at Kinderhook, February 22, 1798, and after his marriage came to Root and in 1833 to Springfield, where he bought forty acres on which he lived until his death, January 22, 1858. His wife died in Schoharie, aged seventy-six. They had five children: Elizabeth, Rebecca, Augusta, Martin and Lydia. Martin Goes taught school seven years, and in 1858 bought 100 acres in Richfield. In 1864 he located where he now lives on 230, and is now the owner of 330 acres of land, devoted to hops and dairying. He is one of the founders and a director of the First National Bank of Richfield Springs, and was one of the original movers and a trustee of Richfield Springs Seminary. He is a Mason. He has been twice married: First, February 4, 1858, to Martha, daughter of Alonzo and Catherine (Springer) Bigelow, and had one son, Springer. Mrs. Goes died June 30, 1870, and he married Cornelia, daughter of James and Adeline (Bowker) Ferguson, who has borne him one child, Howard. They are both Presbyterians.

GOLDEN, D.N., German Flats, was born in Columbia, April 14, 1830. His father, Benjamin, was a trunk maker. Mr. Golden was connected with various hotels during the many years of his life and had government contracts on the canal, of which he was at one time section superintendent. He has of late acted as traveling salesman. His marriage occurred in 1858, and he has three children: Cora E. Hilts, Harvey M. Golden, assistant cashier in the Mohawk bank, and Frank M., who resides in Chicago, Ill.

GOODALE, G.A., German Flats, was born in Mohawk, May 26, 1846. He first started in the grocery business in Richfield and was afterwards assistant shipper in the agricultural works in Ilion for fifteen years. He spent five years in the painting trade and conducted a meat market for four years. He has been in his present grocery and confectionery business in Mohawk about a year. In 1868 he married Anna M. Dodge. Mr. Goodale is a member of the I.O.O.F., and in politics a Prohibitionist.

GOODIER, Alonzo J., Litchfield, was born on the farm where he now lives November 12, 1843. He owns a grain and dairy farm of 100 acres. He married Carrie Tompkins, of Bridgewater, Oneida county. They have two sons, Floyd T. and Warren A. Alonzo Goodier is a son of Aaron Goodier, and he is a son of Aaron Goodier, a native of England, who came to this country with his brother Henry about 1794 and settled at Goodier's Corners. He built the stone house now owned by Marsden Goodier. J. Alonzo Goodier has held the office of school commissioner for two terms of six years.

GOODIER, Henry W., Litchfield, owns a grain and dairy farm of 120 acres, and has been one of the assessors of this town for five years past. He is a member of Sauquoit Lodge, No. 150, F. & A. M.; Oneida Chapter, No. 57, R. A. M.; and Fort Schuyler Council, No. 404 Royal Arcanum, also a member of the Litchfield Grange, No. 664. He was born in the same house in which he now lives, July 18, 1854, and married September 18, 1881, Xena V. Prior. They have two sons, L. Raymond, born September 7, 1887, and Harold Prior, born November 15, 1892. Henry W. was a son Henry Goodier, who was born on the farm north of this, which was settled by his father, Aaron Goodier, the first settler on that farm and one of the first of the town. Xena V. Goodier was born in Paris, Oneida county, September 25, 1864. She is a daughter of Philo Prior, who died at Cedar Lake December 31 1892, aged fifty-three years.

GOODIER, James G., Frankfort, one of eleven children of Aaron and Abigail (Kendall) Goodier, both of Litchfield. The grandfather, Rev., Aaron Goodier, clergyman, was born in England and educated for the ministry, preaching there for several years. He came to this country when thirty-five years of age and was during his active life a minister of the Gospel, living in the town of Litchfield, where he was a large land owner. Abigail Kendall, the mother, was a daughter of Ammi Kendall, contractor, a native of Massachusetts. James G. was married May 1, 1872, to Mary A. Slaughter of Litchfield. Until 1888 he lived in Litchfield when he moved to the village of Frankfort where he now lives. He is justice of the peace and does a real estate and collecting business.

GRAHAM, J. Schuyler, is a native of Deerfield, Oneida vounty, and was born May 7, 1826. His father was James Graham, also a native of Westchcester county, and his Grandfatheer was John Graham, of that county, who participated in the War of the Revolution and was connected with marine affairs. In 1849, Mr. Graham married Mary Gordon. He had been assessor of Schuyler for fifteen years, and is a staunch Republican.

GRAVES, George, M.D., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer. He received his education at the Fairfield Academy and Clinton Institute, graduating from the former in 1867 and from the Medical department of the University of Buffalo, class of '70. He commenced the practice of his profession in Ilion. After remaining there for two years he removed to Herkimer, where he has since located, enjoying a leading patronage from his townsmen. Dr. Graves has been treasurer of the Herkimer County Medical Society. He was at one time an assistant surgeon in the National Guard, State of New York, and United Sates examining surgeon for many years, and is now surgeon of the Adirondack & St. Lawrence Railway Co. Dr. Graves is identified with several fraternal and benevolent institutions, such as the Masons, A.O.U.W., Fire department, etc. He married a daughter of Sheriff Wetherwax, by whom he had two sons and a daughter.

GRAVES, Solomon, Russia, was born February 24, 1819, in Russia, N.Y., a son of John, who was a son of Russell. John Graves was born December 22, 1778, and came from Stephentown, Rensselaer county, to Newport, N.Y., at the age of sixteen, with his only property, an axe, on his shoulder, jobbing it in clearing land until he bought land of his own, which he cleared up and paid for by his own efforts. He first purchased 106 acres of land, on which subject now lives, afterwards adding 144 acres, making 250 in all. September 30, 1800, he married Abigail Munn, born December 27, 1780, by whom he had three sons: Crosby, Ezra and John R. She died December 27, 1816, and in 1818 he married Esther Smith, a native of Rhode Island, born December 19, 1784, by whom he had two sons and a daughter. Mr. Graves was sheriff of Herkimer county one term, justice of the peace, school commissioner, supervisor, and was twice elected member of the Assembly. He died in 1855 and his wife in 1860. Solomon Graves was educatd in the common schools of Russia, in Clinton Liberal Institute and Union College, graduating from the latter in 1842. April 27, 1842, he married Margaret Smith, a native of Williamsville, Erie county, born February 27, 1821, a daughter of Oziel Smith, of Clarendon, Rutland county, Vt., born April 14, 1784, and Phoebe Norton, born October 22, 1789, in Berkshire, Richmond county, Mass. Mr. and Mrs. Smith had four daughters and one son. He died January 3, 1836, and his wife, March 13, 1890 at the age of 100 years. To Mr. Graves and wife were born five children: Edward O., Crosby J., Charles A., William H. and Jessie, the latter two deceased. Mr. Graves taught school a short time, then engaged in farming on the old homestead, until 1850. He next purchased property in Geneva and resided there a short time, but soon returned to the old home, where he remained until 1873 when he sold out, and in 1876 went to Washington, D.C., and engaged in the manufacture of ornamental and architectural terra cotta work and sewer pipe for four years. In 1889 he bought back the old homestead, on which he has since resided. He was an early and earnest Republican and has been school commissioner a number of years and supervisor five years. In 1859 he represented the First district of Herkimer county in the Assembly. He is a member of Newport Lodge, No. 455, F. & A.M.

GRAY Alfred, German Flats, was born in Avoca, Steuben county, August 31, 1854/ His father was Henry Gray, a banker and merchant. He sold out two years ago and in September , 1892 opened his present grocery business. In 1876 he married Miss Alice Finch, of Syracuse, and they have one child. Mr. Gray's family has been in this part of the country for five generations. His mother was a Markell, a prominent family of St. Johnsville.

GRAY, C.B., Ohio, was born in Norway, March 29, 1845, a son of Lathan, who was a son of Lathan Gray, of Connecticut. The latter married Amy Brown in 1791 and had seven daughters and two sons. Lathan, jr., was born in Lebanon, Conn., April 21, 1800. His wife was Julia A.Pendleton, by whom he had two sons. In 1828 he went to Norway, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a manufacturer of lumber and furniture. In 1831 Mrs. Gray died and in 1836 he married Catherine, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Bensley, early settlers of Newport. Mr. Gray and wife had two sons and one daughter. Mr. Gray's second wife died in 1855, and he married third, Mary A., daughter of Asa Vickery, of Russia. Mr. Gray was a Democrat and a Free Mason, and was supervisor. The village of Gray was named in his honor. He died in 1884 and his last wife died in 1890. Subject received a common school education. In October, 1890, he married Melissa E. Figert, daughter of William and Jane (Elsie) Burberry, natives of England, who had eight children. In 1854 Mr. Burberry and wife came to America and settled in Ohio, N.Y., where Mrs. Burberry died on May 9, 1887. Mr. Burberry was a manufacturer of brick and tile, and died in Norway in 1870. The first husband of Mrs. Gray was Charles Figert, a native of Ohio, by whom she had one child, Charlotta. Mr. Figert died November 10, 1887. In 1890 Mrs. Figert graduated from the Cortland Normal school. Mr. Gray is a Democrat and has been supervisor three years. He is a member of Newport Lodge, No. 458, F. and A.M., of Little Falls, Commandery No. 26, Ilion Chapter, No. 236.

GREEN, Nelson K., Warren, was born in Danube, January 14, 1853, a son of Herkimer and Emily T. (Wolcott) Green. The grandfather, Dr. Felix Green, was a son of Ambrose, and was born in Rhode Island, a pioneer of Danube, where he lived nearly all his life. He married Elma Lester, and had seven children: John, William, Felix, Anna, Polly, Elizabeth and Ruth. He held various town offices. Felix lived on the Hudson River near Albany, in the town of Scodack, Rensselaer county, and early came to Danube. He was an active Whig and Republican, and served in nearly all the town offices. He was a Free Mason, and died July 18, 1857, aged eighty-one. His wife died in 1859. She was Lana Herkimer, (her sisters being Margaret, Alida, Catharine and Gertrude, her brothers, John and Joseph,) and was born in Danube, a daughter of George Herkimer, who was a brother of General Nicholas Herkimer, whose wife was a daughter of General Schuyler. Of thirteen children Felix reared ten: Alida, Jane, Mary, Helen, James, George, Charles, Herkimer, Augustus, John. Herkimer Green was born in Danube, November 20, 1811. In 1870 he moved to Cayuga county, having sold the old homestead, a part of the Herkimer estate inherited by his mother, and in 1882 removed to his present home in Warren, Herkimer county, on a farm of 250 acres. He has reared two children: John H., who was born in Danube August 11, 1846, married Nellie Wartman, daughter of Jacob and Mary Wartman, of Little Falls. Subject's mother was born in Shoreham, Vermont, daughter of Seaman and Huldah (Kellogg) Wolcott. Nelson K. Green was reared on a farm, and received a common school education, supplemented by a course in the academy at Little Falls. He has followed farming, is an active Republican, and married Mary O., daughter of John N. and Rebecca (Soule) Smith, of Sterling, Cayuga county. They had three children: George H., Elma R. and Emily E. John H. Green received his education at Little Falls Academy, and then at Hamilton College, graduating in the class of '74. He has taught school and was admitted to the bar in 1876. He has served in town offices as a Republican, and is now engaged in farming in Warren. He has the old lock of the door of General Herkimer's house, also a chair of his, and other pieces of furniture and relics which belonged to the general. George Green, brother of Herkimer, is a physician at St. Johnsville, and John Green is a prominent physician at Sharon Springs.

GREEN, Nelson L., Warren, was born in Danube, January 14, 1853, a son of Herkimer and Emily T. (Wolcott) Green. The grandfather, Dr. Felix Green was a son of Ambrose, and was born in Rhode Island, a pioneer of Danube, where he lived nearly all his life. He married Elma Lester, and had seven children: John, William, Felix, Anna, Polly, Elizabeth and Ruth. He held various twon offices. Felix lived on the Hudson river near Albany, and early came to Danube. He was an active Whig and Repubvlican and served in nearly all the town offices. He was a Free Mason, and died July 18, 1857, aged eighty-one. His wife died in 1859. She was Lana Herkimer, and was born in Danube, a daughter of George Herkimer, who was a brother of General Nicholas Herkimer, whose wife was a daughter of General Schuyer. Of thirteen children Felix reared ten: Alida, Jane, Mary, Helen, James, George, Charles, Herkimer, Augustus, John. Herkimer Green was born in Danube, November 20, 1811. In 1870 he moved to Cayuga county, and in 1882 removed to his present home in western Warren, on a farm of 248 acres. He has reared two children: John H., who was born in Danube in August, 1846, married Nellie Wartman. Subject's mother was bnorn in Shoreham, Vermont, daughter of Seamon and Huldah (Kellogg) Wolcott. Nelson K. Green was reared oa a farm and recieved a common school education supplemented by a course in the Academy at Little Falls. He has followed farming, is an active Republican, and married Mary O., daughter of John N. and Rebecca (Soule) Smith. They had three children: George H., Elma R., and Emily E. John H. Green received his education at Little Falls academy, and then at Hamilton college, graduating in the class of '74. He has taught school, and was admitted to the bar of Cayuga county. He has served in town offices as a Republican, and is now a farmer in Warren. He has the old lock of the door of General Herkimer's house, also a chair of his, and other pieces of furniture which belonged to the general. George Green, brother of Herkimer, is a physician at St. Johnsville, and John Green is a prominent physician at Sharon Springs.

GREEN, William J., Winfield, a farmer and feed merchant, was born on the farm where he now lives, April 2, 1847, a son of Jared J., who was born in Winfield, September 17, 1804, and died May 20 1878. He was a son of William Green, who came from Connecticut, and settled in Winfield at an early day. The mother of William J. Green was Lucy P. (Randall) Green who was born April 17, 1809, and died October 27, 1891. William J. married Florence L. Jones, January 2, 1878. She was a daughter of Daniel Jones, of Brookfield, Madison county. They have one son, Fred J. The farm settled by William Green is in the northeastern part of the town and is now owned by to of his grandchildren, William J. Green and Nettie L. Brown

GREENE, Alonzo, Herkimer, Little Falls, was born in the town of Danube and received his education in the Little Falls Academy. In 1862 he was appointed deputy county clerk, which position he held three years. In 1866 he engaged in the general insurtance business, and the same year was elected to the office of police justice, the duties of which office he faithfully performed until 1874. In 1882, Mr. Greene was appointed postmaster under President Arthur and held this position four years. He has held various other positions of responsibily. As a member of the board of education, his perserverence and determination to place the schools upon the high plane they now occupy, had much to do with the magnificent school buildings that Litle Falls people are proud of. After a service of fifteen years, he retired from the board in 1892. His experience as a cival engineer has had very much to do with the progress of Little Falls. He married Mary P., daughter of the late Hon. Nelson J. Beach. Mr. Greene is of Holland descent on his fathers side, whose ancestor's originally settled in Dutchess county, N.Y. His mother was a grand- neice of General Nickolas Herkimer of Revolutionary fame.

GREENE, Willis, Danube, was born on the old farm in Danube, September 17, 1846. He received a liberal education in Fairfield Seminary and at Fort Edward. Mr. Greene owns fifty-four acres of land on the river road, Danube, and follow the occupation of market gardening, in which he has been very successful. His wife was Margaret Le Row, and they have one child, a son. This branch of the Greene family descent is traced from General Greene of Revolutionary fame.

GRISWOLD, G.W., Fairfield, was born in Fairfield, August 3, 1806, and has been a farmer all his life. His ancestors came from Saybrook, Conn., in 1780, and have resided in these parts ever since. His grandfather was in the Revolutionary war. In 1835 Mr. Griswold went to Newport, and fifteen years ago settled in Middleville. He has taken great interest in public and educational affairs all his life, and is a very intelligent and highly esteemed citizen. He is one of the oldest men in Herkimer county.

GROSVENOR FAMILY, Herkimer, of which the representatives now are Mr. Charles Gray Grosvenor and Mr. Thomas Walter Grosvenor, is one of the oldest families in the United States and one of the most prominent from an historical standpoint in Herkimer county. They trace their descent from ancestors who came over to England with William the Conqueror and their more recent ancestors came to America in 1653. In this country their ancestors on both sides were prominent in the Revolution. Their grandfather's name was Gray. (See Simm's History for full account of ancestors). Col. Thomas Grosvenor, of Sheridan's army, was their uncle. Charles Gray Grosvenor is a civil engineer by profession. In 1884 Thomas W. Grosvenor established a clothing and gent's furnishing business in Herkimer, and was joined in 1885 by his brother, Charles G. The latter gentleman was president of the village in 1888, and the water works were constructed during his term of office. Both are Democrats in politics and members of the Sons of the Revolution. Both are members of the Manhattan Athletic Club of New York.

GUENTHER, George, Dolgeville, was born in Germany, November 18, 1848. After securing a good education in the schools there he learned the machinist trade in Saxony, at which trade he worked for some years. In 1877 he came to America and entered the employ of Alfred Dolge as superintendent of the machinist department, which position he still holds. Mr. Guenther married Miss Annie Dolge, a sister of Alfred Dolge. They have one child, a boy. Mr. Guenther is a member of the school board, aid society, Royal Arcanum, Building and Loan Association, Odd Fellows, etc.

GUINEY, John & Company, Little Falls. This firm consists of John Guiney and Benjamin O. Sullivan, and was established in 1859, for the purpose of retailing liquors in Little Falls. Both members of the firm were born in Ireland and have, since establishing business here, made a host of friends and built up a large and lucrative trade. They are influential members of the A.O.U.W.