Family Sketches


A
- B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.

HACKLEY, Arthur C., Winfield , carries on the manufacturing of cheese boxes, and material for the same, also has a lumber mill and saw mill. He was born in Plainfield, Otsego countyu, February 6. 1850, and sett;ed in West Winfield in 1872. He commenced business here at that time, and was married in 1891. He is the son of Dr. A. Hubbard Hackley, a resident of Plainfield, whose first wife was Emaline, Daughter of Levi Carpenter, one of the first settlers of Bridgewater, and a native of Connecticut. Dr. Hackley had two children: Arthur C., and Alice M. The latter is studying medicine in the Women's Medical College at Philadelphia, Pa. Arthur C., married , in 1891, Jessie M. Casler, a daughter by adoption of A.B. Hagerty, of West Winfield. Mr. Hackley is the present master of Winfield Lodge, No. 581, F. and A.M. of West Winfield, which position he has held gor seven years , but not continually. He has been president of the board of education for three years, and a member for seven years.

HADCOCK, Dr. E. P., Newport, was born in the town of Newport March 26, 1831, a son of Adam and Barbara Ann (Vanslyke) Hadcock, of Middleville. Dr. Hadcock's early education was obtained in the latter town. At the age of eighteen he went to Utica and studied dentistry with G. N. Foster and William Blakesly, and after perfecting himself in the profession located in Newport in 1852, where he has since remained, and is regarded by the profession as one of the skilled dental surgeons in this locality. He has served as president of the village and was on the school board for nine years, president all this time, and is at present the only original member living of the Newport Lodge No 455 F. & A. M. He has been for thirty years a member of Oneida Chapter 57. October 7, 1850, he married Henrietta I. Fonda, a native of Troy and a descendant of General Fonda. Their five children are as follows: Charles E., M. D., a graduate of Harvard College, where he still resides and practices; Henry L., a druggist of Boston, and a graduate of the Boston Pharmacy; Annie, wife of George D. Hawkins of Newport; Helen F., and Mabel H. One son, Freddie B., died in 1868, aged two years and six months.

HALL, Dr. Horace, Little Falls, is a native of Princeton, Ind. His father was chief justice of the Supreme Court of Indiana and also Lieutenant-Governor of the State. Horace enlisted as private in the Fifty-eighth Indiana Volunteers, Company K, and after the close of the was was mustered out as captain of the company. Dr. Hall has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession of dental surgery since his graduation about twenty years ago. He married Miss Hattie E. Scutt of Almena, but has no family. His office is located at No. 596 East Main street. The doctor enjoys a leading patronage with the first families of Little Falls and Herkimer county.

HALL, H. Clay, Little Falls, is a native of New Jersey, and after many years of sea service entered the law office of Cummings, Alexander and Green, of New York city, and was admitted to the bar in 1859. In 1860 Mr. Hall accepted an important office in the United States navy, which he filled until October, 1861, when he resigned to enlist in the 1st New York Mounted Rifles, as private, from which he was mustered out in 1865 as first sergeant. Mr. Hall has a record in the war department for distinguished success. He also served in the United States army during the Mexican war and has during his earlier years had considerable experience on the sea, having filled every position, from cabin boy to captain. He has penetrated through Behring Straits as far north as 73 deg.35m. Mr. Hall was elected in 1885 commander of the G. A. R. for New York State. He has practiced law in this county ever since the close of the war, and no lawyer at the bar stands higher than he in the estimate of the judges of the Supreme Court of this district. He married Sophia Brown, of Franklin, and they have three children living.

HALL, John, Stark, was born in Stark June 13, 1838, a son of Alexander and Jane (Mount) Hall. The grandfather, Thomas, was born in Ireland, and came to the United States after the Revolution and settled in Stark with a brother, Robert. Later he moved to Onondaga county, and thence to California in 1859, where he died, over eighty years of age. He served as justice many years and was a Mason. His wife was Louise Sprague. They raised four children: Alexander, John G., Nancy and Martha. His wife died in Onondaga county. Alexander was born in Springfield, Otsego county. About 1830 he moved to Stark and engaged in mercantile business with his brother. In 1839 he moved where his son now resides and bought and operated a grist and sawmill, also growing hops largely. He served as supervisor and died in the fall of 1885, aged seventy-eight. His wife survives him. They had three children: Martha, John and Elizabeth. She was a daughter of John Mount, who came from New Jersey, and was an aid and captain under General Washington. At twenty-one John began farming where he now resides, also engageing in hop business until 1890. He is a Democrat and a leader of Fort Plain and Utica Commandery. He married August 7, 1861, Mariette Springer, born in Columbia, daughter of Martin L. and Charlotte (Kinter) Springer, of Stark. Martin L. Springer was in the 142d N.Y. Vols., lieutenant. He was twice married. His first wife had two children, Martha and Mariette. Martin L. was a son of Ludwick, who came from Rensselaer county. Subject has had four children, two living: Oliver and Jennie L. Cora died, aged thirteen, and one died in infancy. They attend the Universalist church.

HALLING, Theodore C., Little Falls, was born in Little Falls, February 7, 1862. His father was born in Germany and came to this country in his youth. He was for many years a leading tailor and draper in this village before his death. Theodore C. was educated at Little Falls Academy, and was for many years manager of a clothing store in Ithaca, N.Y. He married Rose Lampman, and they have one child. Mr. Halling is now conducting a tobacco, cigar and confectionary establishment opposite the Metropolitan Hotel, Little Falls.

HALPIN, Rev. James H., Herkimer, was born in Deposit, Broome county, N.Y., June 3, 1859. He received his early education in the St. Joseph Parochial School and finished at the High School in 1874, and graduated at the Niagara University in 1878, afterwards continuing his studies in the Grand Seminary at Montreal, P.Q. Father Halpin was ordained June 3, 1882. He immediately thereafter was stationed at Deposit, his home for three months, and from September of 1882 to December of 1885 was assistant in St. John's church, Albany, N.Y. In December of 1885 he received the Herkimer appointment, which has materially increased in prosperity under his able management, the church having been increased to twice its capacity and a new parochial residence purchased. The cost of St. Peter and St. Paul's church at Frankfort, which he erected, was $18,000. this being formerly a part of his district, or an outlying mission of Herkimer, was set apart as an independent mission in 1892. Father Halpin is of Irish-American parantage.

HAKES, Seward, German Flats, is a native of Ilion and a scion of one of the oldest familes in America. His grandfather, Solomon Hakes, was a native of Little Falls and was born in 1806. His great-grandfather was one of the first settlers of the county. Mr. Seward Hakes married Miss Marion E. Irlam, December 10, 1884, and they have three daughters. Mr. Hakes was one of the trustees of the village from 1889 to 1893 and conducts a large and prosperous floral business.

HAMLIN, Dr. C. W., Fairfield, is a native of Holland Patent, Oneida county, where in youth he attended the district school, after which he attended school at Whitestown Seminary and at the State Normal School at Albany, where he graduated in the spring of 1861. After teaching one term he took up the study of medicine under the instruction of Dr. D. A. Crane, of Holland Patent. In October of the same year he enlisted in Captain Throop's company of the Fifty-seventh Regiment, New York Volunteers, and was soon promoted to hospital steward of his regiment, and served three years, the last year in the First Division, Second Corps Hospital, Army of the Potomac. After the war he resumed his medical studies under the instruction of Dr. S. G. Wolcott, of Utica, and graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in the class of 1866. In 1868 he married Dora A. Varney, and they have two children, a son and a daughter. Dr. Hamlin is a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society, the New York Sate Medical Society, the Pan-American Medical Congress, and of several other societies, including the Masonic, in which he has taken the thirty-second degree, Scottish Rite.

HANCHETT, N. A., German Flats, was born in Oneida county March 31, 1845. He early showed a preference for the grocery business, in which he is now engaged. He came to Ilion over twenty years ago, and was for some time employed in the Armory. He has been in his present business for several years. Mr. Hanchett is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a member of the A. O. U. W. and the order of the Eastern Star. He has been trustee of the village two years. His father was Nelson D. Hanchett, also a native of Oneida county.

HARRID, George, Danube, was born in England, February 16, 1839; he has lived in this country about thirty-eight years and has owned his farm of forty acres of land, lying on the Odesa Creek, for nearly twenty-seven years. He married Mary Finale and they have four children, two sons and two daughters. He is an excellent farmer and a thorough and honorable man.

HARRIS, William, Litchfield, son of Martin, is a farmer and manages the Wilkinson estate, which farm has been occupied by that family since 1876. It was first settled by Selah Holcomb in 1791, amd Ira Wilkinson settled on the next farm north of this. William Harris was born April 10. 1847, and married Catherine Doyle, born April 14, 1849. They have eight children; Martin J., William B., Francis A., Edward B., Mary T., Maurice D., Matthew B., and Harry W.

HARRIS, William H., Middleville, was born in Fairfield, October 17, 1813, and learned the blacksmith's trade. His forefathers were prominent in the settlement of Rhode Island, with Roger Williams. The subject has in his possession the first charter given by Charles II. to Roger Williams and others. The father of William H. Harris came on foot and alone from Rhode Island to Fairfield in 1780, at the age of sixteen; at the age of thirty-two he married Rebecca Kimball, who bore him two sons and three daughters, as follows: John Harris, died in Newport in 1862, aged forty; Olive, married Lewis Hall, of Newport; Lydia, married E.J. Chassels, of Holland Patent; Sarah who married Rev. G.O. Phelps, of Potsdam; and William H., the subject, who married Miss M.E. Kellar. They have five children living. Mr. Harris owns 175 acres of dairy farm, stocked with thirty-seven cows. He is a Republican.

HARRISON, Horace L., Litchfield, who has been justice of the peace for twenty years in succession, has also been postmaster of Norwich Corners Cemetery Association for about ten years, since its organization. He was supervisor of this town for five years in succession. He taught school in this and adjoining towns twenty-four terms and holds a State certificate. He is now a farmer, owning about 125 acres. He was born May 3,1823, on the farm where he now lives. His father, Captain Josiah Harrison, came from North Brantford, Conn., about 1809. He was a captain of militia in the war of 1812 and was stationed at Sackett's Harbor. He died September 14, 1864, aged seventy-eight. Horace L. Harrison married Mary N., daughter of James Groves, of New Hartford, Oneida county, and they have four children: Jennie F., Hattie A., Henry E. and Gertie M. Lavina Harrison died October 20, 1870, aged eighty-seven years.

HARRISON, Thomas E., Winfield, was born in Litchfield, February 25, 1836, a son of Stephen Harrison, who came from England and settled first in New Hartford, and then in Litchfield about 1833. He married Mary Watson, and they had eight children, five living: John W., Thomas E., William H., Rosa R., and Elizabeth. The three deceased are Margaret, Mary Jane and Eliza. Thomas E. Harrison married May 24, 1885, Olive E. Alexander of Litchfield, and they have three children: Mary Eliza, Herbert Alexander and Leonard E. Mary Eliza was educated first at West Winfield Academy, then at the State Normal School at Albany, where she graduated in the class of 1888. She is now a teacher in Selden, Long Island. Herbert Alexander was educated at the West Winfield Academy, and graduated there; and then taught schooltwo years. He read medicine with the late Dr. E. S. B. Spencer of West Winfield, and entered the New York Homoepathic Medical College in New York City in October, 1891, and is still attending the college from which he will graduate in 1894. Leonard E. Harrison is now attending West Winfield Union School and Academy/ Mrs. Olive Qlexander is the daughter of Jacob and Eliza Alexander of Litchfield, had two children: Esther Jane, and Olive E. Alexander. Thomas E. Harrison had been justice of the peace for four years, and was reelected last spring.

HART, James., Little Falls was born in Johnstown , Fulton county, November 7, 1824. He completed his education at Fairfield Academy and taught schools in the towns of Salisbury and Little Falls. In 1851, he commenced the study of law in the office of Loomis and Griswold, and in 1854 he was admitted. He was deputy collector of inrternal revenue under R.J. Stubbins, United States collestor. e held several minor offices . He was a trusty and worthy citizen, and he died suddenly on the 4th of March, 1888, at his residence, leaving his son, James B. Hart and Edward S. Hart and Nellie Hart him surviving.

HARTER, Aaron, Herkimer, was born in New Herkimer, October 29, 1816. His father, Nicholas Harter, settled here in 1812. Mr. Harter owns 255 acres of farm land, besides a large amount of other property. He has fifty-five head of stock and conducts a dairy farm. Mr. Harter has been a very successful farmer. He has served as justice of the peace and is a staunch Democrat. His wife, who is seventy-four years of age, is an energetic and most careful lady and has aided him most materially in his successful tranactions in life. They live on the old farm on the Steuben road.

HARTER, Charles, German Flats, is a native of Herkimer, and was born March 20, 1844. He was engaged in the banking business for seven years, and then embarked in the lumber business for about thirty years, which he has recently disposed of. He is also interested in western real estate, particularly in Colorado. Mr. Harter is president of the Ilion National Bank, and his life has been entirely devoted to business, in which he has been eminently successful. His father, Benjamin Harter, was a native of Herkimer county. Mr. Charles Harter married Miss Ellen Brand in 1868.

HARTER, Chauncey C., Frankfort, born in Herkimer June 18, 1859. He was one of three children (the others being Charles N. and John S. Harter) of Nicholas and Mary A. (Crosby) Harter. Nicholas, the father, was born in Herkimer county, N.Y. Chauncey C. married December 23, 1882, Nellie A. Watson, one of six children of Oliver and Lucinda (Casler) Watson of Frankfort. They have one son, James M. Harter. Mr. Harter came to Frankfort when seven years old. He was employed in a grocery store for several years during his early life, manufactured cigars for a few years, and afterwards did a fire insurance business. About seven years ago he engaged in the railroad business, serving three years as freight clerk at Frankfort for the West Shore Railroad. He was appointed storekeeper for the same company November 1, 1888, having charge of all the supplies in the Motive Power and Car department of the West Shore Shops. He was elected president of the village of Frankfort in March 1892.

HARTER, P.P., Herkimer, is a native of Herkimer, and was born August 28, 1826. He has been a farmer all of his life, and has resided nearly all that time on his present farm. His father and grandfather before him lived on this farm. He married Miss May Kast, and they have two sons, Edwin and Frank. Mr. Harter has sixty-four acres of dairy farm and fourteen cows. He has never belonged to any organization, but his son Frank is a member of the Grange. They are all Democrats.

HARTER, Smith C., of Herkimer, is a native of that town, and with the exception of six years has lived there all his life. Those years were from eleven to seventeen years of age. He then took up contracting for the Remington Arms Company from 1863 to 1874. In 1877 he entered into partnership with C. W. Palmer. In their present enterprise, which has continued ever since, and their premises are double the capacity with which they started. Mr. Harter is a superior and enterprising business man and is well known throughout the county. He is a Mason, a member of the Blue Lodge and of the Veiled Prophets. In politics he is Democratic and active, but will not take office owing to the demand of his business upon his time. His people have been in America for generations. He married Miss Cornelia Palmer, also of an old American family.

HARWICK, Joseph, Stark, came from Rensselaer county and settled where our subject resides about 1790. He died about 1815. He was twice married, raised one son, Conrad Harwick, who was born October 10, 1774, and came with his father to Stark, where he died in October, 1862. He served in the war of 1812 at Sackett's Harbor. His wife was Sarah, daughter of Garett and Anna M. Brower. Subject's mother died in 1848. She had five children, three survived: Christina Snell, John P. and Anna M. Gaungs. John P. Harwick was born June 15, 1813, and has always resided here, owning 107 acres. He has been a Whig and Republican. He married in February, 1847, Julia A., daughter of David and Luvina (Brower) Kingsley, and they had one child, James K., born December 26, 1847, who lived with his parents and ran the farm. He married March 11, 1891, Effie, daughter of Berry and Lucy (Ward) Eckler. They have one child, John H.

HASLEHURST, Alexander W., Herkimer, is a native of Oneida county. He has lived in Herkimer county most of his life, and has been engaged in banking twenty-seven years, beginning as a clerk, and being promoted through all positions until, in 1884, he was appointed cashier of the First National bank of Herkimer, this bank being organized at that time. Prior to this he was teller in the National Mohawk Valley bank. Mr. Haslehurst is an experienced and successful financier and occupies a high position in all social and financial circles.

HAWKINS, Keith, Newport, was born in Newport, June 30, 1825, a son of Thadius K., one of nine children of Uriah and Mary (Keith) Hawkins. Uriah was a native of Rhode Island and one of the first settlers of Newport, coming thence in 1802. He settled and cleared the farm which Keith now owns. He served seven years in the Revolutionary war and drew a pension until his death, February 19, 1840. His wife died October 17, 1837. Thadius K. Hawkins was born in Rhode Island February 12, 1800. He was a mason and a farmer. He married Sophrona, a daughter of David and Lydia Foster, natives of Connecticut, and early settlers of Norway, N.Y. Mr and Mrs. Hawkins had three sons and two daughters. He was a Republican and died in June, 1875, and his wife March 9, 1872. In 1849 Keith Hawkins married Lucy Marcy, a native of Newport; they had one child, Ellen, born November 15, 1849. Mrs. Hawkins died March 15, 1850. In 1852 Mr. Hawkins married Hannah Upright, of Newport, by whom he had four children, Frank M., Frederick U., Millard J. and George K. He is a mason by trade but for many years has followed farming. He is a Republican and has been highway commissioner and is also a member of Newport Lodge No. 455, F. and A.M.

HAWTHORNE, Wilson, Schuyler, was born in Oneida County, in the town of Deerfield, April 22, 1825, and has been a farmer all his life. His father, William Hawthorne, came from Ireland in 1812, coming up the Mohawk valley on a flat-boat. In 1856 Mr. Hawthorne married Mary Ann Conlin, of Deerfield, and they have six children: Wilson, Jane, Charles, James, William, and Minnie. Wilson married Ruth Ladd, daughter of S.P. Ladd. Mr. Hawthorne has been poormaster, and has held other positions in the town.

HAYES, John L, was born in Otsego county, N.Y., March 3, 1850. He received a good education in the schools of that county, and was appointed to a position in the assembly chamber at Albany. About fourteen years ago he established his present liquor business here in Little Falls. Mr. Hayes has served as constable two years. His wife was Lida Upright, and they have two daughters and a son.

HAYES, William E., M.D., Frankfort, was born in Frankfort, October 14, 1867. He is one of three children of Isaac and Emma (Parker) Hayes, the others being Lillie E. and Cora F. Hayes. Emma (Parker) Hayes, the mother, was born in New Hampshire. Jeremiah Hayes, the grandfather of William E., was of German descent, his wife, Jane (Harvey) Hayes, being of Scotch descent. William E. Hayes was married Februrary 22, 1888, to Blanche A. Travis, of Canastota, she being one of seven children of John and Ellen (Brooks) Travis. They have two children, Lillie E. and Charles A. M. Hayes. His medical education was obtained at the University of the City of New York, where he graduated in March, 1891. After practicing in New York and Brooklyn, he in February, 1892, established himself in his native town and engaged in the practice of his profession. Benjamin Harvey, ancestor on the father's side, was a Revolutionary soldier, who fought under General Schuyler, and who died at the age of 112 years.(The original name of the family is \b Hay\b0 , but through an error at some period the "es" has been attached, which is wrong.)

HEACOCK, S.G., German Flats, was born in Buffalo, March 1, 1857. His father was Dr. Grosvenor W. Heacock, a Presbyterian clergyman, who died in 1877. S.G. Heacock studied in Hamilton and graduated from that college in 1880. He then took a two-years' theological course in Auburn Theological Seminary. Then he went to Mohawk and was in the drug business there and in Ilion for some time. He came to Ilion and was appointed postmaster there two years later. He is largely interested in the oil wells near Findlay, O. In 1880 Mr. Heacock married Ida, daughter of Dr. E. S. Walker of Ilion.

HELLIGAS, E. B., Fairfield, a native of St. Johnsville, Montgomery county, came to Fairfield at the age of seven. He owns a fine dairy farm of fifty-three acres, and raises thoroughbred Jersey cattle, the only farmer in the town making a speciality of this breed. In 1873 he married Ada V. Willard, a descendant of one of the first settlers of the town. They now occupy a portion of the farm cleared by her ancestors, and have four children: Mary T., Ward W., Charles J. and Clara A. The mother of Mr. Helligas was a native of Manheim, and his father was born in Jefferson county.

HELMER, Hannibal, Dolgeville, was born on the old farm in Manheim, near Dolgeville, May 30, 1847. His father, Samuel Helmer, is still living at the old homestead. Mr. Helmer, after leaving the farm in 1879, established a meat market in Dolgeville, where he has conducted a most successful business for a number of years. In 1879 he married Alice Sullivan, who left him two sons and one daughter. He married second Sophia Englehardt, and they have one son. Mr. Helmer is one of Dolgeville's most esteemed citizens.

HELMER, Henry J., Warren, was born where he now resides July 9, 1838, a son of Henry A. and Fanny (Rasbach) Helmer. His grandfather was Adam F., a son of Frederick A., who was a son of Lendert, who came from Palatinate, Germany, in 1710, and located first on the Hudson, and later came to Canajoharie. In the winter and spring of 1723 he located in Herkimer county, and received a deed of 100 acres in 1825, where he lived and died. Frederick A. Helmer was born in Herkimer August 16, 1725, and died March 5, 1804. His wife was Barbara Elizabeth Homan, born in Holland, and came to America in 1754. They had three children, Conrad, Margaret and Adam F. Adam F. Helmer was born at Herkimer July 7, 1770, and located on 100 acres, where our subject resides, in Warren, which he cleared and improved. His wife was Anna Margaret Harter, born near Fort Herkimer January 28, 1773, a daughter of Captain Henry and Catharine (Piper) Harter, both born in Herkimer county. Captain Harter was born February 17, 1730, and served as captain in the French and Indian War. In 1757 he and his wife were taken prisoners to Canada for one year. Their first child was born while in captivity. Adam F. Helmer raised eight children: Hannah, Henry A., Barbara E., Laurence, Catherine, Frederick A., Peter H. and Anna M. Adam F. Helmer died December 30, 1854. His wife died December 1, 1859, where subject resides. Henry A. Helmer was born September 7, 1797, on the farm (where subject resides) in the town of Warren, and where he died September 2, 1868. He owned 220 acres. He was a Democrat until 1856, when he and his brothers all became Republicans. They had eight children and raised seven: Adam H., Elizabeth, John R., James H. (died at six), Mary C., Anna M., Henry J. and Harriet P., all married except the oldest sister. Subject's mother was a daughter of John and Nancy (Moak) Rasbach, born February 19, 1800, in the town of Herkimer, and died November 2, 1872, in Warren. Our subject received a district and seminary education and spent four winters in teaching. After his father's death he took charge of the homestead, served as justice and was an active Republican. He married September 29, 1868, Lucy, daughter of Otis and Mary (Palmer) Ames, of Richfield, Otsego county. He was born October 15, 1843, in Richfield, Otsego county. Subject had two children, Fred A. and Ross D. Subject is a Mason and his wife is a member of the M.E. church.

HELMER, Philip, Dolgeville, was born in the town of Manheim, August 9, 1823. He received a good education in the schools of his native town, and has up to the time of his retirement been a successful farmer. He married a sister of Brig.-Gen. Spoffard, Emeline Spoffard. Mr. Helmer's grandfather participated in the Revolutionary war, and his father, Leonard Helmer, in the war of 1812. Mr. Helmer sold his farm of 200 acres to Alfred Dolge, who has located the new depot of the Little Falls and Dolgeville railroad thereon. Mr. Helmer still retains the old homestead, whcih is one of the most picturesque and pleasantly located homes of Dolgeville. They have one adopted daughter.

HELMER, Samuel, Dolgeville, was born in the town of Manheim, February 8, 1820, and has always lived on the farm which he purchased from his father. It contains 150 acres of fine dairy land and upon it he keeps about twenty-five head of cattle besides other stock. Mr. Helmer has four children living, two boys, Hannibel and Dwight, and two girls, Mrs. Annie Bracket, and Mrs. Eugene Snell. Helmer's ancestry is of German descent. His grandfather was in the war of the Revolution, and his father in that of 1812 at Sackett's Harbor. His son, Dwight Helmer, assists him on the farm, and his other son, Hannibel Helmer, is engaged in the meat business in Dolgeville. Both sons have received an academic education.

HEMSTREET, J. V., D. D. S., Little Falls, is a native of New York Mills and began the study of dentistry in 1877. In 1880 he opened his office here and has built up a large and influential practice among the best classes of the community. He manufactures a celebrated preparation known as Hemstreet's Dental Cream. Dr. Hemstreet is a Mason, belonging to the commandery, and also to the Royal Arcanum. In politics he is a liberal Republican.

HEMSTREET, John, Russia, was born in Russia March 13, 1828. His father was Richard I., son of John D. Hemstreet, a native of Montgomery county, served in the War of 1812. John D. Hemstreet came early to Ohio, where he engaged in farming and for many years held the offfice of justice of the peace. He had four sons and two daughters. Both he and his wife were Methodists. Richard I. Hemstreet was born in Montgomery countyin 1805. He was educated in the common schools of that county and then came to , then came to Ohio where he taught school for several years. He married Sarah, daughter of Jamed Caldwell, a native of Saratoga and a early settler in New York. To Mr. Hemstreet and his wife were born three sons and three daughters, four of whom are living. In 1840, he graduated from the medical couse at Fairfield Seminary, and for a short time practiced medicine in Ohio, then went to Cold Brook, where he resided five years. He next went to Poland and practiced his profession until his death in 1865. He was an active Republican, one of the original members of the County Medical Soceity, and also a member of I. O. O. F. of O\Poland. Mrs. Richard I. Hemstreet died in 1876. Subject of sketch (John Hemstreet) was educated in the public schools and reared on the old homestead near where he now resides. He assisted in his fathers business until the death of the latter. Her made a two years trip to Claifornia during the gold excitement. Mr. Hemstreet is a real estate owner in Herkimer county and during the last fifteen years has dealt largely in stocks. He is a Democrat, a member of the Newport Lodge No. 455, F.& A. M., a stockholder and director of the National Bank of Poland and one of its original members. He is a liberal in his religous views.

HENDERSON, John Dryden, Herkimer, was born in Norway, N.Y., July 13, 1846. He received his early education in Fairfield Seminary, and graduated from Hamilton College in 1868. He commenced the study of law with Benjamin Franklin, of Penn Yan, N.Y., and continued it, in the office of Robert and Samuel Earl, being admitted to the bar in 1869, and has, since March, 1872, practiced his profession at Herkimer. He was elected president of the village in 1876, re-elected in 1883, was corporation counsel six years, and was a member of the State Assembly in 1890, and Democratic candidate for State Senator in 1891 for the district embracing Herkimer, Otsego and Madison counties. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and treasurer of the Herkimer Fire Department, president of the D.K.E. chapter of Hamilton College, president of Philo. Society of Fairfield Seminary, and author of the "Village Charter," a work which ran through three editions. He was the poet at the Centennial Celebration of Norway, 1887, and poet at the Phil. reunion at Fairfield, 1884. He married Miss Fannie DuBois, of Norway, August 20, 1874. They have two children. Mr. Henderson's ancestors have been prominent in New York State for over two centuries. They have been legislators, soldiers, and men of affairs; and the name stands high in the annals of the county and State.

HERRICK, William A., Little Falls, was born in Herkimer county, August 8, 1845. After receiving a common school education he learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked for twenty-five years. About two years ago he purchased the dry-dock property here, and besides repairing canal boats, builds row boats, and in fact all descriptions of boats. He gives employment to several skilled ship carpenters and supervises the work himself. He married Eliza Aldrich, and they have one adopted daughter. Mr. Herrick's yards are located at Lock 37 on the Erie Canal. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., etc.

HICKS, Robert H., Salisbury, was born in Norway, July 14, 1858. He received an excellent education at Fairfield Academy, from which he graduated in 1882. After this he taught school for seven years. He was also associated with his father, Robert Hicks, at Salisbury Corners in a general store. In 1889 he bought his present establishment at Salisbury Center, where he does a thriving business in general merchandise. He is also postmaster of the village. Mr. Hicks married Ina Bliss, of Salisbury, and is identified with the Odd Fellows.

HIGBIE, William, Little Falls, was born in Oppenheim, March 24, 1822. His grandfather, George, lived with his parents on Long Island when the British Army occupied New York, and at the time of their evacuation in 1783, they took him prisoner to Nova Scotia. After peace was declared, George returned to Long Island, and finding his family scattered, came to Montgomery county, where he married Margaret McCredy, then removed to Oppenheim, then an unbroken wilderness, filled with bears and wolves. Robert, father of William Higbie, was the oldest son of George Higbie. Robert married Catharine Powell, at Oppenheim, in 1816. December 4, 1814, he went out with the militia from a place called East Creek, where the company rendezvoused, and went to Sackett's Harbor to defend this portion of the State from the British, through Canada. He stayed there until he received his honorable discharge, then returned to Oppenheim and settled down to keeping hotel and farming. William was the oldest son of four children. He worked upon the farm, and was educated at the common schools in Oppenheim and at Fairfield Academy. March 9, 1844, he entered the law office of Lake & Capron. October 19, 1847, after undergoing a severe examination, he was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New York State. January 8, 1846, he married Harriet, only daughter of Dr. Peter Yost, of Oppenheim. In the fall of 1847 he entered into partnership with Henry Link, which continued for a year, when he opened an office for himself, devoting his time to his profession and speculating in real estate in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Michigan, and to some extent in Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Higbie have two daughters, only one of whom survives, Hattie H., wife of Dr. H. M. Eddy of Geneva, where Mr. Higbie removed in 1866 for the purpose of educating his daughter, Mrs. Eddy. In 1886 he returned to Little Falls, where he is still practicing his profession and carrying on his real estate business.

HINES, Charles F., Norway, was born in Newport in 1867. His father is Benjamin Hines, a son of Charles Hines. Charles Hines was an early settler of Newport, where he resided many years. He settled the farm of 222 acres now owned by subject. Mrs. Hines died about 1873. Benjamin Hines was born in Newport in 1843. His wife is Harriet Holliday, by whom he has three sons and two daughters. In 1891 Mr. Hines moved on a farm in Oneida county, where he now resides. Charles F. Hines was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1890 he married Clara Hafer, of Newport, and they have one child, Grant. Mrs. Hines is one of thirteen children of John and Johannah Hafer, natives of Germany, now residents of Newport. The subject is a farmer and a Republican, and he and wife are Methodists.

HINES, Riley B., Norway, was born in Newport, August 4, 1867. He is a son of Benjamin and Harriet (Holliday) Hines. (see scetch of Charles F. Hines) The subject was educated in the common schools, was reared on a farm, and now follows the occupation of farming. March 27, 1889, he married Anna M. Haver of Newport, a native of Ohio , born in 1868, a daughter of John and Johanna A. Haver. The subject and wife have one child, Bertha M. Mr. Hines owns three hundred acres of land and leeps a large dairy 2 1/2 miles east of Cold Brook, on the state road to Norway, in the town of Russia. He is a Republican and he and his wife attend the M. E. Church.

HISTED, W. Duane, Litchfield, is a farmer., cheese manufacturer and merchant. The first cheese factory was built by William Ryder about 1867, and owned by him until 1885, when he sold it to Duane Histed.. He was born in West Exeter, April 22, 1853, and settle at this place in 1881. He is a son of William Histed, a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Histed married Cora A. Cole, and had three children; Nellie Estelle, James Edwin, and Robert Earl. Mrs. Histed is a daughter of Henry Cole, of West Winfield, a native of this county.

HITEMAN, brothers, Henry and John Kiteman, Winfield, are natives of Germany. Henry came to this country in 1863, John came in 1870. They landed in New York in debt for their passage. Henry was fifteen years of age and John about 16 years. Both worked at farming for a few years. Henry began the tannery business in 1869, and John in 1874, and then commenced the tanning business for themselves in 1884, and are still in business in West Winfield. They are sons of Conrad and Elizabeth Hiteman. Henry Hiteman, married Louise Mehner, of Ohio and they have two children: William E. and Gertrude M. John Hiteman married Mary Huber, who died in 1884, agwed 27 years. He afterward married Mary Gula, by whom he has had two children: George J., and Edna P. Both families are residents of West Winfield.

HODGE, Ira, Norway, was born in Winfield, Herkimer county, in 1840. He is a son of David Hodge, a son of Robert Hodge, one of the first settlers of Ohio, where he spent his life in agricultural pursuits. The wife of Robert Hodge was Rosa Pell, who bore him twelve children, five of whom are living. David Hodge was a farmer. His wife was Patience Hall, who bore him eleven children. Mr. Hodge spent most of his life in Ohio, where he and his wife died. The subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He married Mary F. Warner, of New York, and they had the following children: Nellie I., Jessie W., David O., Florence E., Benjamin F., Polly M. amd Nora O., all of whom are living except Nora O., who died in infancy. Mr. Hodge is a farmer and shingle maker. He, perhaps, has made more shingles than any other man in Herkimer county. In 1861 he enlisted in company C, Thirty-fourth N.Y. Volunteers, and at the end of two months was sent home for disability. In 1865 he was drafted and on account of disability was rejected. He did not recieve his discharge until 1892.

Hoefler, John, German Flats, is a native of Germany and came to America in 1849. He was an expert mechanic when he came, and for thirty-five years was a contractor in the gun works at Ilion. He is vice-president of the Ilion National Bank and has been connected with it since its organization. In 1854 he married Miss Elizabeth Eller of Utica, by whom he has eight children living. Mr. Hoefler is also vice-president of the Gas Company, director of the knitting-mill and is president of the board of sewer commissioners.

HOFFMAN, George, Danube, was born at East Creek, Herkimer county, April 8, 1851. He married Lizzie Killingback, and their family consists of five children: two sons and three daughters. Mr. Hoffman's grandfather, Isaac Wheeler, was with Gen. Herkimer at Oriskany. Our subject resides on the old homestead, known as the Herkimer Farm, which consists of 163 acres, and is located in Danube, near the Mohawk river. Mr. Hoffman is a member of the A.O.U.W., etc.

HOKE, Charles D., Danube, was born in Danube in 1854. He was reared on a farm, and before his death his father purchased a farm of about fifty acres, which he presented to Charles, and upon which the latter now lives. This place is adjacent to Newville. Chas. Hoke married Catharine Matice. They have no children.

HOKE, Solomon, Warren, was born in Minden July 1, 1827, and is a son of Peter and Margaret (Countryman) Hoke. Peter served in the war of 1812. He was a Lutheran and a Democrat and died in 1844. They had four sons and eight daughters. Solomon Hoke, the youngest son, at the age of seventeen began the carpenter's trade, which he followed ten years, when he began farming in Jefferson county. In 1856 he sold out and settled in Danube, and in 1869 moved to Warren, where he now owns 124 acres of land. In 1854 he married Catherine (Springer) Walter, and they had five children: Rosa, wife of Alpha Ball; Walter, died at thirteen; Carrie, died at two; Orville J. and Emma, wife of David Mixter.

HOLCOMB, Edward B., Litchfield, farmer and dealer in agriculture implements, was supervisor for 1891 and 1892. He is a son of William Holcomb, who was given this farm by his grandfather. It is a part of the old original farm first settled by Selab Holcomb in 1791. William Holcomb was a son of Alburn, who was a son of Seleb, who had two children; Alburn and Sally Crosby. Alburn had four children; Mrs. Pamelia Wright, William, Albert and Irving. William had two children; William L., and Edward B., who married Mary E. Christ, and they had two children; Ernest Seleb, and Edith May. Mrs. Mary E. Holcomb was a daughter pf H. H. Christ, of Winfield.

HOLDEN, J. P., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer and received his education in the schools of this village. He learned the trade of a machinist, at which he worked for about seven years, since which time up to the present he has been engaged in the hotel business. He has conducted hotels in Colorado, Pennyslvania, etc. During the Centennial at Philadelphia (1876) he conducted two hostelries. Mr. Holden now owns an elegant confectionery and restaurant in Herkimer, which he inaugurated in 1885. He also does a wholesale commission business in fruits and produce. He married Harriet J. Clemens, of Frankfort. Mr. Holden is identified with the local fire company, Red Men, Business Men's Association, an order of United Friends and is first sergeant of the 21st Separate Company Volunteers. He will also conduct a hotel at 130 West VanBuren Street, Chicago, during the World's Fair.

HOLLAND, George E., Litchfield, is a merchant, farmer and lime manufacturer, and has also held the office of postmaster since 1875. He was overseer of the poor, and was drafter during the late war, but paid $300. for a substitute. He was born in Bangor, Me., October 18, 1835, and came to Frankfort with his father, Dr, Richard Holland. wno built the Graffenburg water cure, which was named after the first water cure in Germany, and sucessfully conducted by him from 1847 until about 1864. He married February 1, 1860, Anna E., daughter of Elisha Wetmore, jr., whose father ca,e from Connecticut, and settled early in Paris, Oneida county, having bought five hundred acres of land in the woods. He came from Connecticut witn a sleigh and yoke of cattle. George E. and Anna E. Holland had three children: F. Adele. Jennie I., and Daniel. Dr. Richard Holland was born December 25, 1806, and is well and smart. He now lives in Watertown.

HOLMES, Brainerd O., Winfield, was born on the farm where he now lives, April 26, 1847. He is a son of Orange Holmes, born on the same farm, of which this is a part, December 25, 1803, and died December 13, 1864. He married Henrietta Brainerd, January 15, 1829, who died March 28, 1891. Orange was a son of Elijah Holmes, who settled on this farm at an early date. The house is one of the oldest in Winfield. Brianerd O. Holmes married Mary J. Hadley, September 21, 1869, and they have two children: Mabel M., and Harold B. Mrs. Mary J. Holmes was a daughter of Harry and Mary Hadley, residents and natives of Litchfield. Orange Holmes had six children: Pamela A., Leonidas B., Sarah R., Caroline E., Ellen C., and Brainerd O. Deacon Elijah Holmes came from Connecticut and settled in Winfield about 1794. He was the first shoemaker, and tanned his own leather, grinding the bark by horse power, and the ruins of his tannery are still to be seen at North Winfield.

HOOVER, John P., Fairfield, was born in Manheim in 1828 and has followed farming all his life. His great-grandfather came from Switzerland. His grandfather was Jacob Hoover and his father William Hoover. In 1861 Mr. Hoover married Catherine Ryan, a daughter of Joseph Ryan, and they have a family of eleven children, five sons and six daughters. Mr. Hoover is a Democrat. His father was at Sackett's Harbor in 1812 and was given a grant of government land. Mr. Hoover has 132 acres of land and a herd of twenty-four cows.

HOPKINSON, William, Warren, was born February 22, 1817, in Kerby, Leistershire, England. He came with his parents to the United States, and at the age of fifteen began working for Judge Cleland, in whose employ he continued for six years, his fatheer receiving his wages. At twenty one he bought 107 acres in Warren, where he remained until 1860, when his family becoming large, he sold out and moved on to a farm of 280 acres in Columbia, incurring a debt of $10,000, which he paid up in five years . He married October 14, 1840. Catherine, daughter of George and Catherine (Hoyer) Yule. They have had eight children; Catherine, George, James, William, Mary, Rosa, Clinton and Charles. His wife died in 1887, when he married Mary, widow of Clarke Sweet. Mr. Hopkinson has given to each of his children $3,500. and has plenty left to live upon.He is a connection of Samuel Hopkinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

HOPSON, Edwin R., Dolgeville. Alvarius Hopson came from Wallingford, Conn., to Salisbury in the spring of 1793. He purchased land, built a saw-mill and followed agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred on his farm southeast of Salisbury Center in the year 1825. He was the father of six sons and five daughters, all noted for their large symmetrical stature, physical strength, activity and determination. E. R. Hopson, a great-grandson of Alvarius Hopson, was born in Salisbury August 31, 1823. His grandfather's name was David, and he was one of the six sons of Alvarius, who came with their father from Connecticut. His father, James Hopson second, was born in Salisbury January 6, 1800. He was an influential farmer and filled many important public positions, and died in 1860. E. R. Hopson was married October 24, 1844, to Deborah Thompson, of Saratoga county, who died January 11, 1856, leaving two sons, viz.:
Elton J., born June 30, 1851, and George D., born December 30, 1855. On February 18, 1857, Mr. Hopson was married to Jane Lamberson, of Salisbury , by whom he has one daughter, Lizzie, who married Jesse F. Weatherwax, of Little Falls. E. R. Hopson is an extensive owner of dairy land, and is largely interested in the Cold Creek cheese factory, located near Dolgeville. His two sons are located on his farms, and he has personally managed the factory for the last thirty years. He has filled the position of trustee of Dolgeville since the organization of the town, where he now resides, and is treasurer and manager of the Dolgeville Coal Company.

HORN, Adolph G., Dolgeville, was born in Leipsic, Germany, March 27, 1862. He received a good education in the schools there, and came to this country early in the year 1880. He was engaged in following the printing business, which he learned prior to coming to America. He worked at his trade in this year, and eventually entered the employ of Alfred Dolge in 1880. Mr. Horn is now foreman of the shoe-cutting department, and is a skilled and valuable man in this department. He is one of the founders of the Turn Verein of Dolgeville, a member of the school society, an Odd Fellow and a member of the Mutual Aid Society. He married Miss Lizzie Heber. They have three children, a boy and two girls. Mr. Horn posseses some valuable real estate in Dolgeville.

HOSE, Wallace, was born in the old homestead of his grandfather, Henry Hose, in Kring's Bush, a farming district north of St. Johnsville in Montgomery county, N.Y. His parents soon after located in St. Johnsville. After receiving a good education in the schools of that town, he took a commercial course in Cazenovia Seminary. His early business experience was in mercantile transactions, he having been engaged in this line in St. Johnsville for two years, and at Fort Plain. In the year 1876 he entered the employ of H.M. Burch & Company, with whom he remained seven years. He then accepted a position with Titus Sheard & Company as book-keeper, eventually being admitted a member of the concern, in which he now holds the position of secretary of the company. Mr. Hose is a member of various local social and benevolent institutions. He married Edith I. Sheard, and they have one child.

HOSE, Wallace, Little Falls, was born in St. Johnsville, Montgomery county, N.Y., receiving an excellent education in the schools of this county and the Cazenovia Seminary. His earlier business experience was in mercantile transactions, he having been engaged in this line in St. Johnsville for two years, and at Fort Plain; after which he entered the employ of H.M. Burch, with whom he remained seven years. He then accepted a position with Titus Sheard as bookkeeper, eventually being admitted a member of the concern in which he now holds the position of secretary of the company. Mr. Hose is a member of various local, social and benevolent institutions. He married Edith I. Sheard and they have one child.

HOSFORD, William, Warren, and wife, Theresa (Jepson), came from North Adams, Mass., to Cedarville, Oneida county, where he followed the occupation of shoemaker. They had five children: Lorenzo, Matthew, William, Lot and Clarissa. He died in September, 1853, aged sixty-eight, and his wife July 4, 1861, aged seventy-five. Lorenzo Hosford was born in Bridgewater, Oneida county, May 22, 1812. He married Julia A., daughter of Henry and Christina Devendorf, who bore him four children: Seward, Alanson B., Israel and Frank. He died April 20, 1891, and his wife September 29, 1889. Frank D. Hosford was born at Cedarville October 13, 1852. He received an academic education, and at twenty-two left home and began clerking at Hemlock Lake, where he passed three years, then one year at Cedarville, where he began cheesemaking at the latter place. He married March 18, 1885, Clara L., daughter of David and Mary (Schooley) Evans, of Litchfield, and located where he now lives and manufactures cheese. They have one child, Mary E.

HOTALING, Reuben, German Flats, is a native of Albany county, and was born August 31, 1850. His father was William Hotaling, one of the leading men of Ilion in his day. He died in 1889. Mr. Reuben Hotaling is a member of the Ilion Steamer and Hose Company, and is a Democrat in politics. He married Miss Hattie M. Lawrence in 1879. Up to 1889 Mr. Hotaling was in partnership with his father, since which time he has conducted the business.

HOUGHTON, Clark, farmer, of Eatonville, is a native of Vermont and was born in 1818. At the age of seventeen he came to the town of Little Falls, where he has lived ever since. He was a carpenter for seventeen years prior to beginning his farm life. He owns 126 acres of land and has a herd of thirty cows. His father was also a native of Vermont and his grandfather was an Englishman. His father went to Canada with the American troops in 1812. Clark Houghton married Eliza Arnold, and they have one daughter, Mrs. Alexander Martin. Mr. Houghton is a Republican, and has voted for every president except Scott since the election of the first Harrison in 1841.

HOUGHTON, William L., Ingham Mills, was born in Fulton county, March 14, 1825. When twenty-one years of age he came to Ingham Mills, and was for nine years engaged in saw-mill business for the Inghams, after which he established himself in the blacksmithing industry, which he has carried on for thirty-seven years here in Ingham Mills. Mr. Houghton has lately retired from business, and is succeeded by his son, Geo. M. Houghton. Mr. Houghton has served as overseer of the poor for two terms, justice of the peace, etc., and is much respected by all who know him. He married Miss L. La Due, and has only one child living. Mr. Houghton's father, Richard Houghton, was in the war of 1812, and his grandfather in the Revolution.

HOUSE, H.A., German Flats, was born in Winfield January 25, 1858. In 1881 he came to Ilion and was with the Remingtons for four years. He then manufactured furniture for about four years. January 13, 1888, he established his present successful business. His premises have a floor space of over 10,000 square feet and his stock is ample and fine. He is a member of Ilion Lodge No. 591 F. & A.M., also of Iroquois Chapter 236 R.A.M. and Little Falls Commandery No. 26 K.T., and takes a great interest in all Masonic work. He is also a member of Khorassan Grotto No. 2 M.O.V.P.E.R. and Damond Lodge No. 125 K. of P. Socially he is a pleasant and obliging gentleman to meet and in his business is fair, upright and honest, and enjoys the full confidence of all his numerous customers.

HOUSE, Squire, Little Falls, was born in this county and received a common school education in the Jordanville district school. In 1861 he enlisted in the Thirty-fourth New York Volunteers and served two years in the Rebellion, participating in many of the leading battles and engagements which occurred during this period. He was engaged for two years after the war in cutting marble, and in 1865 he established a general merchandise store upon the canal. Mr. House gives employment to from ten to twenty hands cutting wood. He has cleared over three hundred acres of wood in this vicinity. He is of Mohawk Dutch descent and of Revolutionary antecedents. His wife was Cornelia Orendorf of Fort Herkimer, by whom he had two children, a son and a daughter. His wife died October 28, 1892.

HOWELL, W. B., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer. He received a good education in the schools of the village, and served an apprenticeship with his father in the furniture and undertaking business, finally succeeding him in 1866, and has since carried on an extensive concern with marked success. He has served the village as trustee, president, supervisor, etc., and is a member of the Electric Light and Water Commissions. Mr. Howell is also identified with the Masonic fraternity, having been master and part district deputy. He is also identified with local, social and benevolent institutions. He married Miss Mary S. Green, a daughter of Zenas Green and a descendant of General Herkimer. They have no family.

HUGHES, E. H., Russia, was born in western Oneida county, N.Y., September 20, 1839 His fatheer was John Hughes, a native of Wales, who when a young man came to Oneida county. By his first wife, Mr. Hughes had one daughter and two sons. His second wife was Jane Roberts, a native of Wales, by whom he had one son and three daughters. Mr. Hughes was a physician and had an extensive practice.. Subject of sketch was reared on a farm, and after the death of his father which occured when subject was six years old, he went to live with his uncle, William G. Roberts, and there resided until twenty years of age. He then farmed in Oneida until 1869, when he came to Russia, where he has since resided on the Hinckley farm. February, 1863, he married Jane Hughes , a native of Remsen, Oneida county, and a daughter of John and Laura Hughes. To E. H. Hughes and his wife have been born two children; Laura G., and Gardner, deceased. Mr. Hughes is a Republican.

HULL, Henry W., farmer and carpenter of Litchfield, was born in Watertown, Jefferson county, May 10, 1836, and settled in Litchfield in 1878. He married Eliza M. Jones, of this town, by whom he had two children: Herbert H., and Walter A. The former married Kittie, daughter of Benjamin and Jane Richards, of Litchfield. Henry Hull is a son of Shubel Hull, a native of Watertown, who married Sophronia Pierce, of Lorraine, Jefferson county, N.Y. Mrs. Ella M. Hull is a daughter of William and Elsie Jones, of this town. Shubel Hull was a son of John Hull, a mason contractor and builder, who was a native of Connecticut, and settled early in Jefferson county.{This is copied exactly from the book, is it Eliza or Ella M. Hull?}

HUMPHREY, B., German Flats, was born in Holland Patent in 1854. He was a farmer's son. His father was Griffith Humphrey, who died in 1890. Mr. Humphrey has been in the saloon business for several years. He formerly woprked in the armory. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Red Men and the Odd Fellows, of the Mount Encampment and was chief of police for four years. In 1879 he married Miss Eliza Mahanna, and they have one daughter, Alberta.

HUNT, Mrs. Mary, German Flats, is a native of German Flats, and her maiden name was Mary Ingersoll. In 1842 she married Dr. I.J. Hunt, who died January 22, 1875. She has two sons, James G. and Laton S., who is united States consul to Guelph, Ontario, Canada. James G. Hunt is a physician. Mrs. Hunt's father was John Ingersoll, and her grandfather, John Ingersoll, came from Connecticut to this county.

HUNT, T.E., of the township of Little Falls, owns one of the best farms near the village and is a prosperous and progressive farmer. He is also a veteran of the last war, having enlisted in the Tenth Missouri Infantry, but was subsequently transferred to the Fifteenth and then to the Seventeenth New York Regiments, and served with the Army of the Potomac. He is a prominent Grand Army man, and a member of the Grange. Mrs. Hunt was the first white child born in De Kalb county, Illinois.

HUNTLEY, Eugene P., Litchfield, was born in Winfield March 1, 1838, and settled in Litchfield in 1867, on the farm where he now lives. He married Annette Faulkner, a native of Columbia, by whom he had three children: James L., Ada M., and Elbert E. Eugene P. Huntley, is a son of Lester, a native of West Exeter, Otsego county, who was a son of James Huntley. Four of his children are living: Lyman, Elisha, Loren and Mrs. Myron Eldred. Lester Huntley, had seven children: Jackson M., Sara A., Eugene P., Alice E. Hay, Byron L., Josephine Stuart and J. Frank Huntley. One of the above children is dead.

HUNTLEY, Jackson M., Litchfield, was born November 9, 1834, at Exeter, Otsego county, and he married Almira Gitchell, by whom he has four children: Lester G., Lucy G., Carlson Le Grange, and Loren Grant. Mrs. Huntley was the only daughter of Benjamin and Palmyra (Hadley) Gitchell, natives of Winfield. Lester G. Huntley married Essie McKentry; Lucy G. married Gusta Carlson, and they have one son named Harold G. Carlson.

HURLBUT, George H., Newport, was born in the town of Norway, November 1, 1826, a son of William H. and Chloe (Hull) Hurlbut. She was a native of Newport and a daughter of Joseph Hull. She was born January 1, 1800, and died November 13, 1870. William H. Hurlbut came to Newport at about twenty years of age, but returned to Norway and remained til 1867. He died in Newport in 1887 in his ninety-fourth year. He had three children, William D., George H. and Horace L., all married. The grandfather and grandmother were Presbyterians, the former being associate judge of Herkimer county. William H. was a son of Daniel and Hannah (Cole) Hurlbut, who came from Connecticut and setled in Salisbury. George H. married Harriet O. Scott in September, 1852, and they ahve one daughter, Clara B. Mrs. Hurlbut died September 12, 1866, and Mr. Hurlbut married second, Mary L. Scott, on June 12, 1868. They have two sons, George E. and Harry H. The subject of this sketch is a merchant, also a member of Newport Lodge No. 455, of which he acted as secretary for nineteen years. He was also junior warden. He is a Republican and postmaster of Newport under Garfield and Harrison. He has held the offices of supervisor, town clerk, president and trustee of the village several years. He was a member of the Board of Education five years, and a member of the Republican county committee in 1891.

HURLBURT, J.W., Little Falls, is a native of Vermont, and has been three years in Little Falls. He is bookkeeper of the paper mills of the Little Falls Paper Company, and having spent all his life in the paper business, although but a young man, he is eminently qualified for the position. His family is an old one in New England, and his father was a well-known paper manufacturer in Vermont. Mr. Hurlburt is popular, both socially and commercially, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Royal Arcanum. In politics he is a consistent Republican.

HUYCK, J. Horatio, Herkimer was born in Herkimer, and has been engaged in the coal business for over thirty years. His office and yards are eligibly located on the line of the Central railroad, where especial shipping facilities are enjoyed. Mr. Huyck has served as trustee of the village for three terms. He was president of the village in 1882-84, and is now a member of the village board. He was supervisor of the town in 1885. Mr. Huyck is a Mason and identified with local social and benevolent associations. He married Miss C. Pryne, of Herkimer, and has a family of three children.

HYER, Otis H., Little Falls, is a native of Rensselaer, N.Y. He has been in the woolen manufacturing line for thirteen years and is an expert. He was five years in Pittsfield, Mass., and after three years' absence returned to the same firm. He was two years in Woonsocket and four years in Providence, R.I., then with the Rhode Island Knitting Company in Berwick three years. After a short stay in Fonda, N.Y., he returned to Little Falls and is one of the superintendents of MacKinnon's Mill. Mr. Hyer served his country in the war of the Rebellion in Company K, Thirty-fourth Massachusetts Regiment and participated in the battles of Petersburg, Lynchburg and Piedmont, in the last of which he was wounded and taken prisoner and passed eleven months in Andersonville prison. He was under fifteen years old when he enlisted. He is a Republican.