Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
JACKSON, Henry Eugene, Middleville, was born near Middleville village, upon his father's farm. He was educated in the district schools of this vicinity and at Fairfield Academy. At nineteen years of age he entered the employ of W. W. Mosher, as clerk, and in 1880 he bought an interest in Mr. Mosher's business, which he managed under the firm name of W. W. Mosher & Company until 1892, when he, in conjunction with his brother, Mr. Deville G. Jackson, bought out the interest of Mr. Mosher in his general mercantile firm, which Messrs. H. E. & D. G. Jackson have since conducted with marked success. Mr. H. E. Jackson married Miss Emma Mosher, a daughter of Mr. W. W. Mosher. He has two children, a boy and a girl. Mr. Jackson is a Mason, a member of the Royal Arcanum, and identified with local social and benevolent institutions. His brother, Mr. D. G. Jackson, is also a member of the Royal Arcanum, and married Miss Hattie E. Mosher, also a daughter of W. W. Mosher, and has one child, a girl. The firm own their homestead farm of 250 acres in this vicinity.
JACKSON, I. E., Fairfield, is a native of Fairfield, born in 1855, and is a farmer. His grandfather, Elijah Jackson, came from Canaan, near Albany. In 1881, I. E. Jackson married Jennie Enos. Mr. Jackson belongs to the Grange, and own seventy-five acres of land, with a dairy of eighteen cows. His farm lies adjacent to Middleville.
JACKSON, James O., Little Falls, was born in this county. He was liberally educated in the Little Falls academy and the Academy at Fairfield, after which he engaged in farming in Fairfield and Manheim for several years, until the age of thirty-two years, when he sold his farm property and moved to Little Falls. After dealing in cattle for some time, he finally purchased the Grand Central Hotel property on Main street, which he conducted until 1887, when he disposed of it to Daniel Leahy and others. After this he purchased the Jackson House, which he has since conducted, on Albany street. Mr. Jackson married Emma Timmerman, and they have one son and two daughters. Mr. Jackson also conducts a livery and sale stable in connection with his hotel.
JACKSON, W. E., Fairfield, is one of the best known of the younger farmers of prominence in Fairfield. He is a son of Varnum Jackson, still living, who was born in 1823. They have 250 acres of dairy land, and sixty-seven cows. Both are Democrats, and Willard E. is a member of the Grange. His grandfather, Elipah J. Jackson, was one of the earliest settlers in this part of the county, and the family is an old one.
JACKSON, W.R., German Flats, is a native of Charlestown, Va., and was born November 26, 1858. He came to Ilion in 1868 and attended the school here five years. He was for some time a successful professional ball player and has been in the apiarist's business for several years. In 1882 he married Miss Helen E. Denel. He is a Republican. His father was John B. Jackson.
JACKSON, William W., Herkimer, and Ira E. Jackson bought out the interest of their father, Mr. Washington W. Jackson, in the old homestead and farm of 262 acres. They keep forty-two head of stock and cut about 200 tons of hay and are most successful farmers. W. W. Jackson is trustee of District No. 6, and pathmaster, also a member of the Grange. Both gentlemen are staunch Republicans. The family is one of the most prominent in this section and are of Revolutionary antecedents. Their grandfather, Asa Jackson, served throughout that war. Their father, Mr. W. W. Jackson, makes their place his home.
JAMES, Philip, Russia, was born in South Wales, December 12, 1832, a son of Levi James, a native of Wales, born in 1802. The wife of Levi was Mary Evans, born in Wales in 1804, and by whom he had nine sons and four daughters. In 1840 Mr. James came to Russia and settled at Prospect. He resided in Oneida county until his death, September 28, 1884. Philip was eight years old when his parents came to Oneida county. For fourteen years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Grant. In 1859 he married Harriet Flansburg, a native of Ohio, N.Y., by whom he had two daughters, Minnie and Harriet. Mrs. James died September 28, 1865, and Mr. James married in 1881 Cynthia M. (Rust) Stone. Her first husband was George Stone, a native of Oneida county. He enlisted in the 117th N.Y. Infantry, Company H, and was killed at the battle before Richmond, September 29,1864. Mr. Stone and wife had two children: Clarence, who is a farmer in Russia, and Jessie, who resides on her farm in Russia. Mrs. James was a daughter of Hiram Rust, whose father, Abel Rust, was born in 1759, in Connecticut. He had eight children. Mr. Rust served seven years in the Revolutionary war. Abel Rust came to Russia in 1818 and settled on the farm now owned by Jessie Stone. He died in 1842, at the age of ninety-three. Hiram Rust was born July 4, 1794, in Kent, Conn. October 11, 1822, he married Mary Taylor, by whom he had four sons and four daughters. Hiram Rust was a farmer and geologist. He died February 3, 1886. He married Mary, daughter of Samuel and Cynthia Taylor, early settlers in Russia. Mrs. Rust died October 11, 1888. William P. Rust, the son of Hiram, was born in 1827 and was a brother-in-law of Charles Wolcott, of the U.S. Geological department at Washington. He was also a geologist himself, having procured several of the best individual cabinets in Central New York. He sold a fine collection of fossils to the State and has sent a great many specimens to Washington. In politics he was a Republican. He was identified with all movements for the church and was a liberal and earnest Christian. Mr. Rust never married, but his niece, Miss Jessie Stone, has been mistress of his home for several years.
JARVIS, David P., Russia, the younger son of Thomas and Mary Jarvis, was born in Canavashire, Wales, May 22, 1836; came to this country in 1841; 1843 came to George Pitman's, in Russia, where he lived until after Mr. Pitman's death, which occurred July 4, 1853. Commenced clerking in Prospect; February, 1854, came to Poland as clerk in union store, where he remained until November, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B. Ninth New York Cavalry. In 1862, while on the Peninsula in Virginia, was taken sick with typhoid fever and was removed to Patterson Park Hospital, Baltimore. As soon as he recovered sufficiently he took charge of a sick ward, where he served eight months. He was then given the position of mail agent for the hospital, and as such served until the expiration of his enlistment, November 22, 1864. July, 1865, he returned to his place in the Poland Union. In 1870 he became agent for the store, which position he still holds. Mr. Jarvis is a member of Newport Lodge, No. 455, F. & A. M., and of Poland Lodge, No. 185, A. O. U. W. In politics is a Republican. October, 1866, he married Lucia M., daughter of John and Thankful Gorton, who were among the early settlers of Poland, having come here from Massachusetts in 1820. They had one son and five daughters. Mr. Gorton was a manufacturer of axes and scythes; died May, 1863; and Mrs. Gorton in April, 1882.
JOHNSON, Gilbert J., Ohio, was born in Watervliet, Albany county, September 23, 1837, a son of Henry J., who was a son of Peter F. Johnson, a native of Long Island. The father of Peter F. came from Holland and settled on Long Island. Peter F. married Hannah Ball, a native of Long Island, by whom he had five sons and four daughters. He was in the Revolutionary war. Early in life he moved to Knox, Albany county. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson died at Knox. Henry I. Johnson was born in Knox, April 17, 1804. In 1834 he married Eliza Ferguson, a native of Watervliet, born March, 1811. They had seven sons and three daughters. April 2, 1850, Mr. Johnson went to Ohio and purchased a farm, where he remained until 1855. He then went to Ashtabula, Ohio. Here he resided until 1882, when he moved to Muncie, Ind., and died December 23, 1884. His wife is still living in Muncie, at the age of eighty. Gilbert J. Johnson was educated in the common and select schools and at the age of nineteen went to California and remained thirty-eight years, when he returned to Ashtabula, Ohio. In 1868 he went to Ohio, N.Y., and took a contract mail route, which he followed twenty-four years. He owned the grist-mill and store at Grant four years. November 1, 1865, he married Emily, a daughter of Albert Abeel, of Ohio, and they have two children: Fred P. and Hattie M. Mr. Johnson is a Republican, has been deputy sheriff nine years and was postmaster at Grant four years. He has been postmaster of Ohio City since January, 1892. He was assessor three years and notary public six years. He and his wife are Methodists. He is a member of Ohio Grange, No. 686.
JOHNSON, Horace M., Little Falls, was born in Schuyler. He received his education in the schools of this county, and early commenced actively the life of a farmer. His father was engaged in teaching school in Little Falls for a number of years, afterwards becoming engaged in agricultural pursuits. The Johnson family are of New England descent, membners of the family having served in the Revolutionary War, the great-grandfather of Horace M. having been at Sackett's Harbor. His father was born and reared at Eaton's Bush. The family now owns considerable land at Schuyler, where nearly all of them are located. Mr. Johnson's wife was Margaret Garry, and they have one daughter, who is the wife of Frank Robinson.
JOHNSON, Jesse W., Schuyler, was born in Windham county, Conn., April 25, 1806. He began to work in a factory at the age of six years, and his life has been an active one ever since. He came with his father's family to Schuyler in 1814. In 1841 he married Caroline M. Shepard, of Rome, N. Y. They had two daughters, Elizabeth W., and Charlotte M. (who died in 1868). Elizabeth W. married Lemuel E. Gilbert, of Brooklyn, N. Y., May 20, 1874, but since the death of her husband, in 1886, has, with her two children, Jesse Carolyn and Stanley, resided with her father, Mr. Johnson voted for the first Harrison, and has voted the Republican ticket ever since.
JOHNSON, Joseph A., was born at Fort Herkimer, N. Y., September 27, 1836, and was connected with the firm of E. Remington & Son's for thirty-four years, and with the exception of the first few years was a contractor. Since the collapse of that firm he has been engaged in the general insurance business and represents nineteen of the best companies in the world. Mr. Johnson is one of the most prominent Masons in the State, having held nearly all the offices in the various Masonic bodies, and is past grand commander of Knights Templar in the State of New York. He married, in 1858, Catharine M. Wildey, and has one son, Edmond A. Johnson, who is associated with him in business, and one daughter, who is the wife of M. Jesse Brayton, ex-county clerk of Oneida county.
JOHNSON, Samuel, Frankfort, one of the fourteen children of Richard and Sophia (Stannard) Johnson, was born October 22, 1828, in England. His parents emigrated to this country and settled in Utica when he was two years of age. He then moved to Litchfield in 1850, and in 1875 came to Frankfort, where he has since lived. He was married January 15, 1854, to Lovi H. Matteson, of Litchfield, one of ten children of Laban and Susan Matteson. They had three children, Wallace Myron, Alba and Ida (twins), all of whom are dead. Mr. Johnson runs a dairy farm, having at this time eleven cows. Mr. Johnson died November 23, 1892, aged sixty-four years, one month and one day.
JONES, Dennison S., Winfield, one of the representative farmers of Winfield, owns a dairy and hop farm of 212 acres. He was born in Litchfield March 8, 1832, and settled on this farm where he now lives in 1861. He is a son of William Jones, one of the first settlers in Litchfield, and his father was from Nova Scotia. Dennison S. Jones married, December 8, 1858, Alvira, daughter of Sewell Slade of Columbia, and afterwards Litchfield. Dennison S. and Alvira Jones have two children: Julius C., and Jessie E.
JONES, Hadley, Little Falls, was born in Danube, N.Y., and was later educated in the Little Falls academy and the Albany Law school, from which latter institution he was graduated in the class of 1850, and at once entered into active practice at Herkimer. He remained there until 1882, then removed to Little Falls and formed a co partnership with the late George F. Crumby, which firm was dissolved by the death of Mr. Crumby, in 1887. Mr. Jones holds high rank at the bar, is a Mason of high degree and is identified with leading social and political organizations. He married Henrietta Wilkinson, a niece of Judge Robert Earl of Herkimer, chief judge of the Court of Appeals of New York. Mr. Jones was elected supervisor in the spring of 1889. He has been solicited to accept other and more important offices of public trust, but has so far declined.
JONES, Henry D., Winfield, was the first manager of the milk station called Cedarville, and started the business in 1889. They make both butter and cheese. The milk is bought here of the farmers and shipped to the proprietor in New York city. Henry D. Jones married Lillie C., daughter of Mrs. Eliza Hayes of Unadilla Forks. Henry Jones makes both butter and cheese.
JONES, Hiram, Winfield, was born on the farm where he now lives October 31, 1830, a son of Richard R. Jones, who was born in Danube, and died December 2, 1888, aged eighty-five years. His father was one of the first settlers of the town of Danube. Hiram Jones married, March 16, 1854, daughter of Conrad Folts of Frankfort. They have five children living: George C., Oliver R., Wallace H., Elva J. and Cora A. They have lost four children: James F., who died in infancy, October 7, 1857; Eva May, died October 9, 1864, aged about two years; Edith E., died September 9, 1875, aged about three years, and Mary E., October 17, 1879, aged about twenty-four years. Mr. Jones has served as assessor of Winfield.
JONES, William E., Schuyler, one of the leading farmers of Schuyler, was born on the farm he now owns July 18, 1845. His father was Richard Jones, a native of Wales. Mr. Jones has a large farm of 225 acres, under dairy and timber. He is a Republican in politics, and was commissioner of highways for six years. He is now serving his seventh year as assessor of the town. He has also been inspector of elections. Mr. Jones has two sisters living, Jennie Jones and Mrs. J.S. Davis.
JOSLIN, Aaron V., Frankfort, was born in Frankfort March 11, 1836. He as one of nine children of Lewis F. and Harriet C. (Vinton) Joslin, both natives of this town. The grandfather was Christopher Joslin, was born in Rhode Island, as was also his wife, Abigail (Hall) Joslin. They were among the early settlers of Frankfort. Aaron Joslin married, March 20, 1859, Rachel, daughter of William and Maria (Pruyn) Bridenbecker of Schuyler. She died March 13, 1874, leaving two children, Nellie, wife of R.C. Strachan and Lindley A. Mr. Joslin married second, September 16, 1875, Sarah Adams, of Frankfort. In 1858 he started in business as a merchant, keeping a general store, under the name of L.F. Joslin & Son. Since 1884 he has kept a dry goods and wall paper store.
JOSLIN, Merritt F., Frankfort, the only son of Sanford and Savally (West) Joslin, of Frankfort, was born in Litchfield, July 22, 1842. Sanford, the father, was the son of David Joslin (who was a soldier in the war of 1812) and Ruth (Mattison) Joslin. The great-grandfather, John Joslin, was born in Rhode Island, and came to Frankfort in early life (settled on the farm now owned by Merritt F.), where he lived and died at the age of over eighty years. His wife was Hannah Justin. Savally (West) Joslin, the mother, was a daughter of William and Olive (Cady) West, he having been a Revolutionary soldier. Her grandfather and grandmother were William and Nancy (Williams) West, the third generation from Roger Williams. Her great-grandfather was William West, at one time Governor of Rhode Island. Merritt F. was married September 12, 1866, to Hattie C. Norton, one of three children of Wilbert L. and Henrietta (Wilcox) Norton. They have two children, Minnie A. and Earl S. Joslin.
JOSLYN, George N., real estate dealer and farmer, was born in Plainfield, Otsego county, August 1, 1832. He came with his father and settled in this town in 1862. He is a son of Daniel and Eliza (Huntley) Joslyn, who both died in Richfield. George N. is one of the representative farmers of his locality, and one of the most extensive real estate dealers of this part of the country.