Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
KAY, Artemas J., Litchfield, is one of the prominent farmers of Litchfield. He married Julia, daughter of Barnum Ball, who is a son of Elias B. Ball, one of the leading farmers of this town. Mr. and Mrs. Kay have four sons: Francis R., Bertram J., Simon R. and Unie C. Kay. Artemus J. is a son of John Kay, a native of England, who came with his parents when ten years of age, and settled in Frankfort. He married Elmira L. Matteson, of this town and they had five children, two of whom survive: Laurence E. and Artemas J. Mrs. Elmira L. Kay was a daughter of Stephen A. Matteson, who came with his father, Jesse Matteson, from Rhode Island, and settled early in this town. John Kay, died March 28, 1863, aged forty-nine years.
KAY, Cyrus, M. D., Herkimer, was born in the town of Frankfort January 10, 1857. He received his education in the public schools of Frankfort and Herkimer, and graduated from the Medical department of Columbia College in 1880, immediately thereafter commencing the practice of his profession in Herkimer. Dr. Kay has been solicited many times to accept public office. He now holds the office of police and fire commissioner, and has been the Republican candidate for president of the village and trustee of the village. He is trustee of the Odd Fellows, a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society, Royal Arcanum, Masonic Fraternity, Royal Arch Masons, charter member of Fort Dayton Hose Company, etc., and is identified with local social and political organizations. Dr. Kay married Miss Clara Hilts and has no family.
KAY, William E., Herkimer, farmer, is a native of Frankfort, but has been in Herkimer for twenty-six years. He is well educated and has a fine literary mind, contributing valuable articles to leading agricultural journals. He is a Mason, belonging to the chapter of Ilion, and the Commandery in Little Falls. He was regent of the Royal Arcanum for three years, and is a charter member of the Herkimer Grange, of which he has been master for three years, and is overseer of the Pomona Grange and a director of the Patron's Fire Association of Herkimer, also a director and charter member of the Y.M.C.A. He is a Republican in politics and a man of prominence and influence in this part of the county. Has been secretary and treasurer of Herkimer County Agricultural Society and commissioner of highways of Herkimer.
KELLAR, W., Fairfield, is a native of Fairfield, and has been a farmer all his life. His father, Abram Kellar, was also a resident of the town. Mr. Kellar owns 450 acres of land, and a herd of 105 milch cows. He married in 1876 a daughter of David E. Ransom, and has five children. In politics he is a liberal Democrat, and is identified with the grange at Little Falls
KELLER, Alexander, Manheim, was born in Manheim, March 9, 1820. He has followed farming all of his life, now owning sixty acres in Manheim near Manheim Centre. He married Miss Mary Marsh of this town, and has had seven children, all of whom are living. One of his sons, Geo. W. Keller, assists him at home. The other members of his family are Peter, Ann, Elisha, Libbie, Jacob and Ella. George W. is the youngest of the children. Mr. Keller formerly had a much larger farm, but disposed of a portion a short time ago.
KELLER, Amos, Little Falls, was born in the town of Little Falls. He received his early education in the schools of the district, and afterwards attend the Little Falls Academy, from which institution he was graduated. He taught school for four seasons, and for the six years following he was engaged in dairy farming. In February, 1858, he moved to the village of Little Falls and established a mercantile house and engaged in the sale of groceries and general provisions. This he conducted until 1883, when he retired from active business operations. Mr. Keller married Miss M.C. Goodell, of Fairfield, by whom he has two children, two daughters, one of whom married Mr. Gage, a prominent merchant of his village, and one is the wife of Glen P. Munson, of Herkimer, a merchant of that village. Mr. Keller has served four terms upon the board of trustees of the village and is an extensive real estate owner here.
KELSEY, George, Little Falls, was born at Fort Plain, Montgomery county, N. Y., November 18, 1865. He received a good common school education, and afterwards learned the trade of baker, at which trade he worked for several prominent establishments in Little Falls, and in the spring of 1892 established a wholesale business in this village. He supplies stores, Hotels, etc., and his goods reach all parts of this county. He gives employment to several skilled bakers, and supervises all operations himself. Mr. Kelsey married Alice A. Brigham, of Graefenburg Spa, and they have two sons, Leon P. and Charles H. Mr. Kelsey's manufactory is at No. 6 Mohawk street. He also has a retail store for the sale of fine home-made bakestuffs and confectionery at No. 321 Second street.
KENYON, Samuel P. (deceased), was born in Ira, Cayuga county, September 1, 1846, a son of H.B. and Betsy (Brown) Kenyon. Rev. H.B. Kenyon was a Baptist minister, and lived and died in Ira, Cayuga county. He raised a family of eleven children. Samuel P. received a district school education and began life as a clerk. He ran a store at Oriskany Falls, and traveled for Comstock Brothers, of Utica, for two years. For one year he was with Fonda & Bagley, of Albany. In 1873 he came to Warren, where he engaged at farming until his death, June 14, 1884. He was an active Mason, and was serving as justice on his second term at his death. He was an active Republican. In 1861 he enlisted in the Eighty-seventh Ohio Regiment and served four months. In 1863 he enlisted in Company E, Twenty-fourth N.Y. Cavalry, as first sergeant, was wounded in the leg before Petersburg, and carried the ball to his grave. He was sent to Harwood Hospital, Washington, D.C. For a time after his recovery he acted as clerk in the quartermaster's department. He received a medal of honor voted by Congress, for bravery displayed on the field of battle, and was discharged with the regiment at the close of the war. He married January 2, 1873, Rebecca Marshall, born in Warren, where she resides, September 9, 1852, a daughter of Daniel and Lucy (Green) Marshall. Mr. Marshall was born April 11, 1784, in Connecticut, and died February 22, 1862. He came to Warren prior to the war of 1812, and followed farming all his life. He had three children: Jeremiah, who died in childhood; Webster, who was killed at twenty while coasting, and Rebecca. Mr. Marshall was a member of the Masonic fraternity. Subject and wife had four children: Darwin B., Florence, Marshall and Floyd. Mrs. Kenyon owns the homestead. She received her education in the distict school and Richfield select school.
KENYON, V.S., Fairfield, is a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. When an infant his parents moved to Middleville. After filling various positions of trust and responsibility, Mr. Kenyon was appointed general agent of tickets, freight and express in Middleville. In 1883 he married Jennie Hancock, and they have one son. His grandfather was born in 1800 and his father in 1823, they being both of the same name, V.S. Kenyon, which is also the name of Mr. Kenyon's son.
KERIVAN, John T., was born in Ireland in 1844. He came to this country with his mother when five years of age. When eight years of age he went to work for the William Gates Match Works, but later went boating on the Erie Canal, returning in 1865 to the William Gates Match Works where he has since remained, rising to the position of superintendent of the Diamond Match Works which position he now occupies (the Diamond Match Company being successors to William Gates' Sons). On February 2, 1865, he married Miss Mary A. Gaffney of Frankfort; they have four children living: John, Mary, James and Frederick. Mr. Kerivan was elected supervisor of the town in February, 1892.
KERR, Neil, German Flats, was born in Oswego city August 19, 1847, and came to Ilion October 7, 1868. He was a contractor in the armory for about a year, and has been with the type-writer since its inception. In this establishment he does all the assembling and employs about sixty men. In 1875 Mr. Kerr married Maggie Creighton Bain, and they have one daughter, Laura Creighton Kerr, aged twelve years. Mr. Kerr's father, Angus Kerr, was a Scotchman, and his wife's people also were Scotch.
KILTS, Willard, Fairfield, son of Peter and Caroline Kilts, was born August 18, 1863, on the homestead farm in the town of Fairfield. The Kilts family settled early in this town, William, great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, assisting in clearing up the farm now known as Kilts Hill, which his father purchased in 1788 at ten shillings per acre. William served in the War of 1812. His son, Conradt, who inherited the property, assisted in the construction of the old stone bridge on Ann street at Little Falls, which is now being replaced by an iron one. Conradt and his son Peter, made additions to the property from time to time by the purchase of adjoining lands. Conradt died about 1879 in his eighty-fourth year. Peter died August 16, 1885, aged sixty-three, leaving his wife, Caroline, whose father was the late Abram Keller, three sons and two daughters surviving. Of his sons, Herman, the eldest, was accidentally drowned in the Erie Canal near Little Falls in 1891; Seymour is a farmer at Cortland, N. Y.; Willard has always lived at home, with the exception of a few years while engaged in teaching school and keeping a grocery store in Utica. He married, February 10, 1892, Cora Bellinger. His sisters are Marietta, wife of H. A. Crofoot of Norway, and Carrie, unmarried, living at home.
KINGSLEY Brothers, Little Falls. John S. Kingsley was born at Cranberry Creek, Fulton county, September, 1858. He learned the business of shoe-peg working from his father, S.W. Kingsley, who conducted this branch of industry here for forty years prior to the Kingsley Brothers assuming charge about four years ago. John S. Kingsley married Fanny Bloodaugh, and they have one son. E.B. Kingsley was born at Cranberry Creek, Fulton county, November 8, 1861, and also learned the business with his father and has been associated with his borther, John S., for the past four years. He married Carrie Brown, and they have one daughter. The Kingsley Brothers turn out from 100 to 200 bushels of shoe pegs per day and give employmnet to thirteen hands.
KINGSBURY, Edward H., is a native of Little Falls. He received his education in the schools of this village, and at an early age entered a mercantile house here, with which he remained four years. After this he was in the employ of E. B. Waite & Company, paper manufacturers, five years as book keeper. He then entered the employ of P. W. Castler & Company as head book-keeper, with whom he has been four years. Mr. Kingsbury is a descendant on his mother's side from General Herkimer. He married Frances Orendorf, and they have no children. He is at present one of the town assessors. He has also most acceptably filled the office of town clerk for two terms. He is a staunch Democrat of Jeffersonian principles.
KINGSTON, Edward S., Little Falls, shoe last manufacturer of Little Falls. The industrial life of Little Falls contains no more important representative than the subject of this sketch, not only because of his success and inventive genius, but also because he may be fairly said to be one of the pioneer manufacturers of the place, nearly every other existing industry here having started since he began operations twenty years ago. Edward S. Kingston is a native of Vernon, Oneida county, N. Y. His parents moved to Canada and he remained there eleven years. Since returning to this country he has been engaged variously. First he learned the printing trade, spending two years in this line. He then resided in Albany until 1872, when he came to Little Falls, and he and his brother were engaged in business until 1883, when he went to Utica and formed a partnership with George A. Reynolds in the manufacture of his patent metallic lasts, and he sold the patent to Mr. Reynolds for $12,000, and retiring from the business resumed the manufacture of wood lasts. In 1884 he started manufacturing in Utica. In 1885 he came back to Little Falls and started his present enterprise, which has proved a most gratifying success. His factory is thoroughly equipped with the best modern machinery, and he disposes of his lasts direct to the consumers. In politics Mr. Kingston is a Republican and is an attendant of the Methodist church. In 1879 he married Miss Cora Penner, daughter of Alfred Penner, and their union has been blessed with one son, Alfred, who is now in his twelfth year. Socially he is held in high esteem, and is an important factor in the industrial life of Little Falls.
KINGSTON, William, Little Falls, paper manufacturer of Little Falls, is a native of Tarrytown, N. Y., and subsequently went to Canada with his parents, but returned in later years to the United States and embarked in the manufacturing line. He came to Little Falls in 1872 and began the manufacture of shoe lasts. In 1879 he began to manufacture paper for building purposes, in which he has met with fair success. His mill is thoroughly equipped with all the latest and most improved machinery. He manufactures his paper from rags, putting it through all the processes on his premises. He disposes of his products in New York. Mr. Kingston is one of the pioneer manufacturers of Little Falls, and his name is highly respected in this part of the State.
KINNE, Jeremiah, 2d, Litchfield, is a farmer and cheese manufacturer. He built the first cheese factory here, in 1863, which burned down in 1887, and was rebuilt in 1888. He was born on the farm where he now lives December 6, 1821, a son of Jeremiah, a native of Connecticut, who settled here in 1803, and died February 27, 1861, aged ninety-one years. His wife was Chloe Wilcox, born September 27, 1783, and died June 25, 1857. Of their children four survive: Samuel H., Martha G. D., Mary J., and Jeremiah 2d. The latter married Mary G. Kenyon, and has four children living: Jennie M., Ella Lucinda, Eva Lavinda, and Mary I., all at the homestead except Jennie M., who married Daniel J. Whelan, and resides at Ilion. Mrs. Mary G. Kinne died April 1, 1888, aged sixty-four years. She was a native of Rhode Island, and a daughter of S. W. Kenyon.
KIPPLE, George, Litchfield, operates a saw and grist-mill and conducts a farm. He was born in Germany March 19, 1845, came to America in 1855 and to Litchfield in 1857. He came to his present place on the Gulf road in 1870. He bought the mill of William Jones, who had it since about 1850. It was built here at a very early day by David Beals, one of the first settlers of this town. George Klipple married Alice Ring, born November 18, 1837, in Germany; she died June 9, 1883, leaving five children: Henry, Augustus, David, Frederick and John. For his second wife he married Clara Meadel, by whom he had these children: Katie, Clara, Elma, George, jr., and Gustus. George Klipple is a son of George and Susanna Klipple, bith deceased. George Klipple, sr., died November 1, 1882, aged seventy-six years and Susanna Klipple died August 13, 1881, aged seventy-four years.
KIRBY, William, Herkimer, was born in the town of Herkimer and received his education in the schools of this vicinity. He has always followed farming. His farm consists of 200 acres of dairy land, upon which he keeps sixty head of stock, besides his own facilities for making cheese. He married Miss Rosalia Hall, of Herkimer, and has seven children. His farm is located on the Steuben road, near Herkimer village. Of Mr. Kirby's children, George, Richard and John are married, and one daughter. His mother, Mrs. Richard Kirby, is still living and makes her home with him. The family originally came from England in about 1835.
KITTAMS, James H., dentist, German Flats, is a native of Ilion and is a young man of high social standing. He studied for his profession at the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, and graduated D.D.S. May 6, 1892. He then opened his office here and enjoys a large practice. His father, G. H. Kittams, is an Englishman and came to America in 1855.
KLOCK, Peter, was born March 14, 1833, on the farm where he now lives. His father also was a native of this place, and his grandfather came from Germany in 1776. His grandmother was one of the old Mohawk Dutch. January 19, 1860, Mr. Klock married Louesa M. Jackson, and they have one son, Edgar Jackson Klock, a distinguished student. He was educated at Fairfield and Middleville, and belongs to the Philorhetorean Literary Society of the Fairfield Academy.
KLOCK, Reuben, Danube, was born in Danube August 11, 1818. His grandfather, George Klock, settled in this county early in the seventeenth century, and his father was John B. Klock, who lived to a good old age, reared a family and died in Danube. Reuben Klock married Barbara A. Bellinger, and has a fmaily of nine children living, four sons and five daughters. Mr. Klock has given his children much land, and still owns about 607 acres. His children are as follows: Byron, Irving, Elinor, Emmett, Walter, Ianthy, Maggie, Mary and Alice. Mr. Klock is a member of the Universalist church and is a staunch Democrat.
KNAPP, George, Schuyler, born January 15, 1848. He owns a thirty-two acre farm and rents other land. He does a general farming business, and raises considerable fruit. l His father was Horace H. Knapp. Mr. Knapp has been commissioner of highways and town clerk. In 1870 he married Maria Bradbury and they have seven children.
KNAPP, Wheeler, Dolgeville, was born in Greenfield, Saratoga county, January 25, 1835. He was engaged in the lumber business in Stratford for thirty years, after which he was for two years in the same line in Lewis county. In 1883 he came to Dolgeville, where he established his present saw and planing-mills. He does contracting, building, etc., and owns the cheese factory, besides dealing in real estate. He married Miss H.E. Crane, by whom he had five children. Some years after her death he married Marion E. Bliss, by whom he had three children. Mr. Knapp has served as assessor, commissioner of highways, inspector of election, and served on the board of supervisors five terms. Since coming to Dolgeville he has served as inspector of elections twice. Mr. Knapp is a high degree Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Knight Templar, etc.
KOETTERITZ, John B., Dolgeville, was born in Prussia, Germany, September 14, 1853. He was educated in the military schools of that country, and served as an ensign in Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. In 1872 he became second lieutenant and was stationed for seven years at Alsace-Lorraine, the provinces taken from France. In 1879 he came to America and has since been engaged in State and private service as civil engineer and surveyor. Mr. Koetteritz married Carrie Brockett, and they have two children; Lena, aged ten years, and Burt aged six. Lieutenant Koetteritz is one of the best informed and scientific civil engineers in the State, and has made the study of the Adirondack region a specialty. His large map of the Adirondacks is used by all the State departments as authority.
KRICK, John, baggage-master on the New York Central Railroad at Frankfort, is a native of Germany and came to America in 1861. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, 121st N.Y. Regt., and participated in many notable battles, among them the Wilderness, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and he was wounded and taken prisoner. He was honorably discharged in July, 1865, and then took his present position, which he has held ever since. He is a charter member of Frank Mann Post, and has been commander for two years. He married Mary Molk, and they have three sons and four daughters, one of the sons and all of the daughters being married.
KYSER, Jacob, Ingham's Mills, was born in Salisbury July 29, 1823. He is of Dutch descent, his great-grandfather having settled in this State early in the seventeenth century. His grandfather, after owning land in Salisbury and another township, finally settled in Manheim, and upon his death deeded his farm to his grandson, Jacob Kyser. Upon the death of Cornelius Kyser, father of Jacob, his estate of 200 acres was purchased by the subject of this sketch. This, together with other lands bought by him, makes a total of 540 acres of fine land in his possession. He married Eliza, daughter of Adam Bellinger, and has had eight children, seven of whom are living, three sons, A. C. Kyser, C. L. Kyser and S. B. Kyser, and four daughters. The latter was married and reside in this county. Mr. Kyser has always taken an active interest in local affairs and has held the office of assessor six years.