Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
LADD, J. B., was born on the farm where he now resides in Schuyler, August 13, 1821. He owns 150 acres of fine farm land. In 1846 he married Harriet Richardson, and they have four sons and two daughters. Two of his sons are teachers, one in Iowa and one in Schuyler. One of his daughters, Mrs. Emma Buchannan, is also a teacher. Mr. Ladd has been school superintendent, town clerk, and was also supervisor of the town for the years 1858, 1871-2. His father was Elisha Ladd, who came from Rhode Island.
LA DUE, Daniel W., Little Falls, is a native of Fulton county, N. Y., in which vicinity his father settled when he was a child. The family is of New England descent. Mr. La Due started the manufacture of cheese boxes in 1852, gradually working up the business to proportions of considerable magnitude, and in 1868 most materially added to its strength by purchasing the saw-mill, now a portion of his plant. Mr. La Due has served as trustee of the village and has furnished employment to a numerous force of hands. He is an Odd Fellow and identified with local, social and financial circles. His wife was Miss Mary E. Schuyler, by whom he has three children, one son and two daughters.
LALLY, Patrick, Little Falls, was born in Ireland March 10, 1837. He came to this country in May, 1855, and located at the Brockett's Bridge, now Dolgeville. After remaining here three years, Mr. Lally made a few changes and eventually located in Salisbury upon 280 acres of dairy land which he purchased. This farm he kept for five years, then sold. He continued to engage in farming in Salisbury and Manheim for several years. About four years ago he moved into Little Falls. In February, 1892, he was elected commissioner of highways upon the Democrat ticket. Mr. Lally married Mary Lally, and they have five children, as follows: John, James, Edward, Daniel and William.
LAMBERSON, J.F., was born in Salisbury township June 30, 1844. He received a good education in the public school of Dolgeville, after which he attended the Falley Seminary at Fulton, Oswego county, N.Y. Mr. Lamberson was engaged in farming until about four years ago, when he rented his farm of 210 acres and moved into Dolgeville. He has invested in real estate here, and expects to soon, with others, inaugurate a coal and wood business. Mr. Lamberson has served as assessor for several years, and is a thorough business man. He married Miss Jessie Loucks. They have one child, a girl.
LANNING, William B., Russia, was born in Russia, January 1, 1834, a son of John, whose father was Conrad, a native of New jersey, who married Martha Van Horn, a native of Duanesburg, Schoharie county, N. Y., by whom he had ten children. In 1819 he came to Russia and settled on a farm, where he died in 1849, and his wife in 1844. John Lanning was born on October 28, 1801, in Duanesburg. He married Betsy, daughter of John and Martha Forrest, natives of Ireland. Mr. Forrest was a glass-blower by trade and also a weaver, His children were: Mary, Betsy, William, John, Mark, James, Martha, Rosanah, Sallie and Rachel. The children of Mr. John Lanning and wife are: Martha, Rosanah, William and Mark. He died August 28, 1884, and his wife April, 1885. The subject of this sketch was educated at Cold Brook Select School, Prospect Academy and Fairfield Seminary. At the age of seventeen he began teaching school and continued for ten years. When he reached his majority he spent several months visiting the west. He spent two years in Philadelphia in the cheese market for Edward Partridge. In 1859 he married Catherine, daughter of Hilliard Broadwell, a native of Vt., and after he married became a resident of Trenton Falls, N. Y. He was a millwright and put up the first Hinkley Mills, which he ran for two years. Mr. Lanning and wife had two children: John and Sarah. His wife died March 10, 1863, and he married for his second wife Ann McArthur a native of Russia N. Y., by whom he had two children: Arthur and George. Mrs. Lanning's parents, Donald and Margaret McArthur, were natives of Scotland, who came in 1831 to Remsen, Oneida county, later removing to Russia. after the death of Mrs. McArthur, Mr. McArthur married Ann Morrison, by whom he had three sons and three daughters. He died November 18, 1873, and his wife in 1890. The parents of Ann Morrison were James and Ann Morrison, of Scotland. Mr. Lanning's second wife died October 17, 1869, and November 16, 1870 he Married Mary McArthur, half sister to his second wife, by whom he had ten children: Mary A., William, Frank, Linus E., Helen, Edward, Florence, Jessie E., Ray M., and Bertha. Mr. Lanning has been a cheese maker many years. He was in the factory at Prospect one year. In 1869 he came to the farm where he now resides and has since engaged in farming and cheese making. He is a Democrat in politics and he has many times been inspector of elections, and has held other town offices. He is a member of Russia Grange, No. 630.
LARNED, Frederick G., was born in Poland, November 25, 1860. His father was Henry B., son of William H., son of Benjamin, whose father was Benjamin, son of Samuel, son of William, son of Isaac, whose father was Issac, a son of William Larned, who emigrated from England in 1682 and settled in Massachusetts. Benjamin Larned, the great-grandfather, was born near Springfield, Mass., and there grew to manhood. He married Sarah, daughter of James Willoughby, and had six sons and two daughters. In 1820 he came to Poland, where he died March 19, 1839, and his wife February 28, 1848. William H. Larned was born near Springfield, Mass., April 3, 1805, and died August 28, 1882, and his wife November 22, 1884. Henry B. Larned was born in Poland April 17, 1829, and attended Fairfield Seminary, where he took a special course in surveying. January 29, 1856, he married Laura A. Sprague, a native of Springfield, Mass., a daughter of Elijah Sprague and Charlotte Young, a lady of French descent. They had one son and five daughters. Mr. Sprague was an early settler of Batavia. His wife died in Steuben in 1872, and he now resides with his children. He died February 4, 1890, while with his daughter, Mrs. Larned, of Poland. Frederick G. Larned was educated in the common schools of Poland, and afterwards took a scientific and commercial course in Fairfield Seminary, graduating in 1879. He afterwards took a course in Eastman's Business College, from which he graduated March 14, 1881. Mr. Larned is a real estate owner in Herkimer county, Dakota, Nebraska and Denver, Col. He is secretary of Poland Grange, No. 607. He is vice president and eastern manager of the Empire Loan Trust Company of Haigle, Neb. Feb. 11, 1891, he married Mary E. Barwell, a native of Poland, born March 19, 1873, a daughter of Henry Barwell, of Poland. Mr. Larned and wife have one child, Lawrence F. Larned, born June 22, 1892.
LATHROP, Charles M., Stark, was born in Plainfield, N. Y., December 22, 1840, a son of Anderson and Marinda (Keller) Lathrop. The grandfather, Ariel, was a son of Jedediah, who was a pioneer of Stark and settled on the farm where Charles M. resides. He had two children, Arial and Dyer. Arial came to Stark with his father, and resided on the farm until his death. He raised six children: James, Daniel, Addison, Mahetable, Almira and Mariah. Addison was born in Stark and died in 1883, aged seventy-two; his widow survives him aged eighty. They had two children: Charles M. and Stanton D., deceased. Charles M. received a good education and resides at home with his parents. He married, January 31, 1862, Valence Potter, born in Herkimer county, daughter of Erastus and Jane Potter. They have three children: Anderson E., Hattie E. and Mabel A. His wife is a Universalist. Mr. Lathrop is an active Democrat, and his mother is the cousin of the wife of Senator Stanford of California.
LEACH, Adelbert Aaron, Winfield, was born on the old homestead, on part of which he now lives, May 10, 1849. He has a grain and dairy farm of about 135 acres, which is one of the representative farms of the town. He was the third son of Jacob Leach, who was born on the same farm and in the same house, and he was a son of D. Jacob Leach, who came from Massachusetts and settled very early. Aaron Adelbert Leach married Ellen H. Brace September 28, 1875, and they have two children: Seward A. and Lena A., both living at home and attending the West Winfield Union School and Academy. Mrs. Ellen H. Leach is a daughter of Deacon Henry L. and Pamelia (Holmes) Brace. Her father was a son of Captain Asahel Brace, who was a son of Deacon Abel Brace, who came here in 1793.
LEAHY, Dan M., Little Falls, is a native of Manheim, and is a moulder by trade, but has not followed this occupation for several years. He worked at it for ten years. He went into the saloon business and is still interested in the business conducted by his brother, John Leahy. He also is interested in real estate and has been for the past ten years. He has been prominently connected with the Hancock street property in Little Falls. Me. Leahy was appointed port warden by Governor Flower July 20, 1892. He is a prominent and active Democrat in this county and is a charter member of the Elks, the Erena Chemical Co., etc.
LEARY, Patrick, Little Falls, was born in Ireland in 1853. He came to this country when a youth, and six years ago, in February, established a liquor business in Little Falls, which has been a financial success. He married Mary Marion, and they have two children living. Mr. Leary is identified with the Hibernians, etc.
LEGG, A.H., Russia, was born in Chenango county February 28, 1841, a son of Adna who was a son of Dewitt Legg, a native of Massachusetts, and a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Adna Legg was a native of Mendon, Mass. In 1828 he went to Chenango county and there spent the remainder of his life. His wife was Catherine Vosbourgh, a native of Spraker's Basin, Montgomery county, by whom he had three sons. He was a mason and cooper by trade. The father of Catherine Legg was Isaac Vosbourgh, one of the first settlers of Spraker's Basin. He and wife afterward moved to Chenango county where they died. They had eight daughters and two sons. A H. Legg was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. September 29, 1867, he married Josephine M. Brainard, a native of Norway, Herkimer county, by whom he had three children: Annie C., Charles D. and Edna. Annie E. is now Mrs. Jerome Wilt of Gray. She has one son and two daughters. Mr. Legg manufactured cheese for ten years and also followed farming a short time. In 1886 he went to Grant and purchased the Garlock House, of which he has since been proprietor. He is a Republican and has been deputy sheriff of county three years. He was also deputy sheriff of Chenango county. He is a member of Newport Lodge 577 I.O.O.F. He and wife are members of the Equitable Aid Union 327. In 1862, August 4, Mr. Legg enlisted in the 114th N.Y. Infantry Co. and served three years. He was at Fort Bisland, Franklin, Opelousas and the forty-one days fight at Port Hudson on the Mississippi, and his regiment was the first that went into the works. April 7, 1864, at Sabine Cross Roads Mr. Legg became a prisoner and was taken to Mansfield and held until July 28, when he was exchanged. March 7, 1865, he received his discharge. The parents of Mrs. Legg were Alanson and Maria Brainard, who had seven children, one of whom, David L., was one of the six survivors of the Greeley Expedition. He was a native of Norway, N.Y., and she a native of Massachusetts. Alanson was a son of Joshua Brianard, a native of Connecticut, who was a son of Samuel Brainard, an early settler of Norway.
LEHR, Gilbert N., M. D., Frankfort, was born in Oneida county, January 13, 1857. He was one of ten children of George and Catharine (Yordan) Lehr, the father, was born in Germany, and came to this country when twelve years of age. Catharine Yordan, the mother, was a descendant of the Holland Dutch, who emigrated and settled in the Mohawk Valley at an early day. Her father was a soldier of the war of 1812, and her mother was for many years a pensioner. Gilbert N. was educated at Union Free School, Boonville, at Whitestown Seminary, two courses medical department University of Michigan, and graduated at the University of New York city, with the class of 1880. He engaged in the practice of his profession for three years at Taberg, Oneida county, and in the spring of 1883 removed to Frankfort, where he has practiced since that time. He married September 16, 1880, Nellie G. Gue, of North Western, N. Y., one of four children of Jerome V. and Clara (Keech) Gue. They have one daughter, Sadie M.
LEIGH, J. T., Little Falls, is a native of Toronto, Canada, but has lived nearly all his life in the United States. He began his business career as a book-keeper, spent some time in teaching, and was several years in the Little Falls National Bank. He entered upon his present business in 1887 and has managed it so successfully that he now runs the largest canal supply store between Syracuse and Albany, as well as being senior partner in the large grocery and meat firm of E. M. Walrath & Company on Ann street. Mr. Leigh has also been connected with other enterprises, and was some years secretary and treasurer of the Superior Furnace Company. He is a man of good business abilities and held a seat in the board of education of Little Falls for several years. He has also served as police and fire commissioner, notary public, etc.
LEON, John, Little Falls, was born in the village of Little Falls December 19, 1861. He received an academic education, and at an early age entered the employ of Jacob Zoller, the well-known produce dealer. Here his services were soon appreciated, and he was advanced to more important departments, and soon developed characteristics which made his services very valuable to Mr. Zoller. Mr. Leon is now Mr. Zoller's right hand man and confidential clerk, and virtually manages the business. Mr. Leon married Sarah H. Cornell, and they have four children, three sons and a daughter: John, Harry, Irving and Sarah.
LEVEE, Richard, Little Falls, was born in Little falls, July 3, 1830, and like most young men in those days, worked summers and attended school winters, and on coming of age engaged in whatever occurred to make money at. In this way he gradually accumulated sufficient to start his trucking business, in which he has since been engaged. Mr. Levee has held the office of chief of the fire department for some years. He has also served the village as trustee two terms. He married a daughter of Peter Eysman, and they have two children, a son and a daughter. His son, who is in business with him, is also a popular and much respected citizen of the town.
LEWIS, David, Ilion, was born in Albany, July 5, 1835. He came to Herkimer county in 1853, and in August, 1856, he entered the Frankfort Bank as teller, and April 6, 1868, was elected cashier and held the two positions twelve years in all; and when that bank was closed the directors gave him a very flattering testimonial: Resolved, That said David Lewis, esq., the cashier of this bank, has, by his strict integrity and his careful and skillful management of the affairs of the bank for the past ten years, won the respect and esteem of the members of this board: and they think it proper and fitting that at this, their last meeting, they should in this manner express their sentiments and feelings toward him, and tender him their best wishes for his future happiness and welfare. In 1872 Mr. Lewis became cashier of the Ilion National Bank and has held the position ever since.
LEWIS, John, Schuyler, is a son of Harris Lewis, one of the prominent men of this State in the past generation. He was a member of Assembly in 1856-57, and was put forward by the Greenback party as their candidate for governor of the State. John Lewis was born in Schuyler, March 8, 1850, and has been recognized as one of the leading men of the town for many years. He owns a fine farm of 144 acres and has a dairy of forty-two cows. His buildings are commodious and modern, and his farm is one of the best kept in the county. In the year 1868 Mr. Lewis married Catharine Wilcox, and they have four children, two sons and two daughters, Harris, George, Libby and Emma. Mr. Lewis has never cared for public office, though he has served his party as assessor. He is a Republican and is a member of the Grange. His grandfather, Isaac, settled in Chenango county, where his father was born. Mr. Lewis is a man of strong genial personality, highly respected by all having his acquaintance.
LEWIS, Marshall, German Flats, was born in the town of Oswego, N. Y., November 7, 1829. After teaching four terms in district schools and in Falley Seminary, he turned his attention to book-keeping and was engaged chiefly for seven years with a manufacturing firm in Fulton, N. Y., and for nearly twenty-five years in the office of the Armory and the Remington Agricultural Company in Ilion, N. Y. Mr. Lewis married first Miss C. M. Loomis, who left a daughter, Calista M. His present wife was Miss Mary Carter, whose three living children are Dana C., a physician; Victor C., employed in the lumber business; and a daughter, Jennie F. A third son, Almon M., died in 1877, aged fourteen years.
LIMPERT, John, Frankfort, was born in Ilion, November 8, 1855, he being the only son living of John and Rosa (Vogel) Limpert, of Ilion, both of whom were born in Germany, emigrating to this country in early life. They met in Herkimer and were there married. John Limpert came to Frankfort in the spring of 1882 and engaged in the clothing and gents' furnishing business. He was married in 1879 to Sarah E. Feasel, of Frankfort, and they have five children, J. Valentine, Anna Louisa, Sara Elizabeth, G. Arthur, and Fred L.
LINTNER, W. H. H., Little Falls, was born at Minden March 28, 1840. He engaged in business for a few years in New Haven and Albany before the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the Albany Light Infantry. During the war the regiment was known as the 177th N. Y. S. Vols. Mr. Lintner was brevetted major for gallant service at the siege and capture of Port Hudson. In 1864 he came to Little Falls and embarked in the drug and grocery business, in which he made a great success, and through which he acquired considerable wealth. For several years he was assistant adjutant-general on the staff of General Priest, and also filled other important offices. He died July 11, 1892.
LINTS, Alonzo M., Frankfort, was born in Frankfort, April 22, 1856; he was the only child of Jacob J. and May E. (Muckey) Lints, both natives of this town. His grandfather was Peter Lints; his great-grandfather emigrated to this country from Germany. Alonzo M. was married in 1879 to May A. Crosby, one of three children of W. W. and Marillda (Harris) Crosby, of Frankfort. He is one of the enterprising young men of the town; he has served as town clerk and trustee of the village and was village president in 1884. He has also been occupied as general foreman and inspector for State work and canal repairs.
LINTS, Simon, Schuyler, was born in Schuyler, April 9, 1832. He conducts the butter and dairy farm. His father was Jacob Lints, and his grandfather, Peter Lints, who took part in the Revolutionary war. The family is descended from the old Mohawk Dutch. June 20, 1855, he married Mary Young. Mr. Lints is a Democrat, and a representative of one of the oldest and most honorable names in the county.
LINTS, Simon P., jr., Schuyler, was born April 4, 1857. He is one of the leading Democrats of Schuyler, and has been put in nomination by his party for supervisor. In 1881 he married Lillie Cramer. They are adherents of the Methodist church, in which church Mr. Lints sings. His father is Peter Lints and his grandfather had the same name. Mr. Lints is a practical cheese-maker and is also interested with his father in farming.
W. E., Schuyler, is one of the young, enterprising and successful
farmers in Schuyler. He was born January 11, 1861. His father,
William H. Lints, was born in Schuyler, December 25, 1832. Mr. Lints
owns 138 acres of land, used for dairying, raising also grass and grain.
In 1863 Mr. Lints married Dora Robbins, and they have one daughter, Gertie
LITTLE, Andrew, Little Falls, is a native of Scotland, and came to America in 1869, settling in Cooperstown. In 1876 he came to Little Falls and worked at his trade of carpentering for some time. In 1882 he began business in the planing-mill now occupied by him, which mill has the dimensions of 100 x 100 feet, and in which he does a large and successful business. He also deals in lumber. In 1886 Mr. Little married, and has two children. He is a Prohibitionist and a member of the Presbyterian church. He belongs to several societies.
LIVINGSTON, J.C., Little Falls, a leading lumber dealer of Herkimer county, is a native of Columbia county, N.Y. He was formerly located in New York city, but eight years ago came to Little Falls to reside, and built a mill at Stratford back in the timber region of the county. Here he gives employment to a force of men ranging from forty to one hundred in number according to the season. He comes of an old and honorable American family, some of his ancestors participating in the Revolutionary War, while Senator John Livingston, ambassador to France under President Taylor, was his grand-uncle. His ancestors had a large grant of land on the Hudson and one of them was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He lives on Garden street in the old residence of Judge Benton.
LLOYD, D. Frank, son of David J.Lloyd of Frankfort, N.Y., was born in Utica, N.Y., in 1859, and removed to Frankfort the following year, passed his boyhood days in that village and entered Hungerford Collegiate Institute, Adams, N.Y., as a student in 1873, from which he graduated with honors in 1876. In the following year he entered upon the study of law in New York city, and passed his final examinations and was admitted to practice in the year 1881. Immediately after his admission to the bar Mr. Lloyd was appointed by N.H. Decker, who was at that time the largest railroad contractor in the country, as his confidential adviser and attorney, and was placed in charge of all his railroad contract work, which was being carried on in this State as well as in the States of Illinois, Michigan and Indiana, and continuing with him until his death, about three years afterwards. Mr. Lloyd then resumed the practice of law in New York city, and became a member of the well known firm of Ingersoll, Carty & Lloyd; the firm enjoys a large and lucrative practice, having offices in New York, Washington and Philadelphia, representing several large estates and corporations. Mr. Lloyd, while yet a young man, is identified with several large corporations, being secretary and treasurer of the New York Cable Railway Construction Company and the American Visual Telegraph Company, and is president of the Westchester Automatic Lighting Company, as well as director of several other corporations. Mr. Lloyd was married in 1890 to Miss Anita Heinemann, of Berlin, Germany. He is a member of several clubs of the metropolis, and is well known to New Yorkers, as well as throughout Herkimer county.
LOFTIS, John, Frankfort, was born in Frankfort, September 8, 1844, being the youngest of six children of John and Bridget Loftis who emigrated to this country from the Emerald Isle in the year 1832. The subject of this sketch was but three years old when his father died, and the care of rearing and educating the children to frugality, respect and usefulness was the sacred heritage of their courageous and devoted mother, who surviving her husband for a third of a century, died in 1883, at the golden age of seventy-three years. Of this family James and Thomas were volunteers in the Union army, the former dying in the service of his country, while the latter now resides at Frankfort village. April 22, 1880, John Loftis was united in marriage to Catharine McCann, of Utica, N. Y. They have two sons: Charles W. and James F. Loftis. Early in life Mr. Loftis learned the carpenter trade, and for several years prior to 1867, was occupied as carriage maker, at which time he engaged in the mercantile business as a retail grocer. In 1876 he erected the large and commodious building he now occupies, the upper floor of which is Loftis Hall. By close attention and strict integrity Mr. Loftis has built up an extensive mercantile business, and now is one of the foremost merchants of Frankfort village. In politics Mr. Loftis is a Democrat and has served the town as supervisor during the years 1886-7-8.
LONGSHORE, Miles, M.D., Russia, born in Depeyster, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., September 3, 1847. He is a son of David Longshore, a native of Canajoharie, Montgomery county, N.Y. His father was Solomon Longshore, who came from Germany and settled in Buckland county, Pa., and later in life moved to Canajoharie, Montgomery county, N.Y., where he lived and died. He was a blacksmith by trade. In 1823 he married Margaret House, a native of Canajoharie, N.Y. She was born June 6, 1804, and bore him seven sons and five daughters. In later life Mr. Longshore became a farmer, and in 1837 he went to Depeyster, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., and settled on a farm, where he lived until 1864, when he went to Canton, of the same county, where he spent the remainder of his days. He was a justice of the peace, and supervisor of the town. He was a Free Mason and one of the oldest in St. Lawrence county. He died June 25, 1886, and his wife February 22, 1892. Dr. Longshore was reared on a farm, was educated in the common schools, and in Canton Academy, from which he graduated. He afterwards spent one year in St. Lawrence University. He studied medicine in the Albany Medical College, and afterwards in the Burlington University, from which he graduated in 1879. The same year he came to Cold Brook, where he has since been very successful in the practice of his profession. June 24, 1879, he married Mary B. Lovell, a native of Canton, N.Y. Her parents were Joseph and Samantha Lovell, natives of Utica. The father of Joseph Lovell was Horatio Lovell, a very early settler of Canton, N.Y. His wife was Fannie Makensie, by whom he had five children. The doctor and wife have one daughter, Florence, born March 31, 1880.
LONGSHORE, R. Clide, Herkimer, was born in Canajoharie, Montgomery county, and received a good education in the schools of this vicinity. He has been connected with several prominent grocery houses in positions of trust and responsibility, and from 1879 to 1883 was time-keeper for Morris Marks. After that, in 1883, he engaged with Prowse & Thomson, with whom he is at present engaged. Mr. Longshore was appointed some time ago to the position of town clerk, and at the following election received the Democratic nomination and election to this position, which he still holds. He is prominent in social and benevolent associations, being connected with the Red Men, K. P., O. U. A. M., A. O. U. W., O. U. F., Order of Aegis, and others.
LOOMER, Aaron R., Dolgeville, was born in Fulton county. His early life was spent on a farm, and he has always dealt in horses and cattle. Twenty-six years ago he became proprietor of the Empire House in St. Johnsville. This he ran for five years, then took charge of the Rickwood near Johnstown. This hotel he kept for three years, then moved to Little Falls and took charge of the Bettel hotel. After keeping this hotel one year he moved to Dolgeville and has since conducted with but one slight intermission the Loomer House. Mr. Loomer has been twice married and has three children, all boys. Mr. Loomer has served as justice of the peace six years, and is an extensive real estate owner, and owns a farm in Stratford.
LOOMIS, Watts, T., Little Falls, is a native of Little Falls. He studied at Brown University, the Albany Law School, and with his father, and was admitted to the bar in 1856. He practiced law and civil engineering several years, but abandoned engineering when other matters became too pressing. He is a man of culture and refinement and one of the leading men in the county. He has never been an aspirant for political honors and has held no political offices, other than president of the village. He is and has always been a promoter of the enterprises connected with the improvement of the village in the construction of its mills, churches, bridges, water works, street lighting, the maintenance and care of its public parks and grounds and of all its important improvements. He is president of the Warrior Mower Company, the Superior Furnace Company, and the Electric and Power Company, and the proprietor of several mills. He is a Democrat in politics.
LOTRIDGE, George H., Little Falls, was born in 1811 and has lived on his present farm all his long life. He and his two brothers, both of whom are dead, lived on adjoining land for over half a century as men grown, and had everything in common. They owned 750 acres of land. Mr. Lotridge married, January 30, 1838, Mary Rankin, and they have four daughters. The youngest, Mary lives at home. One is the wife of Hamer Petrie, one the wife of R. M. Rankin and one of Mr. Houpt. Mr. Lotridge has been commissioner of highways and is a member of the Grange. His father and mother were born in Montgomery county, and his grandfather, Seeber, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The latter was wounded at Oriskany and was an invalid for the last twenty years of his life, though he lived to the age of 104 years. The parents of George H. came to these parts when the section was a wilderness, and he can relate many interesting anecdotes of their early experiences in the wilds.
LOUCKS, William P., Dolgeville, was born in Manheim, July 23, 1823. His grandfather, Peter, was second lieutenant in the Revolutionary war, under Captain Fox, and participated at Oriskany, after which he settled in this town upon 200 acres of land. William P. Loucks' father (also named Peter) was a justice of the peace for forty years in Manheim, and town clerk for twenty-two years. Mr. Loucks himself has held the offices of assessor three years, commissioner of highways one term, inspector of elections, constable, etc. He married Ann Kelley, and they have had three sons and two daughters.
LOVENHEIM, I.N., Little Falls, conducts a variety establishment in the village of Little Falls. His stock consist of dry goods, crockery, fancy goods, house furnishings, etc., and a good trade is enjoyed and several assistants are employed. The business was inaugurated in 1888. The senior member of the firm (which consists of I.N. Lovenheim & Brother), is in Europe at the present writing. His house enjoys a first class reputation for liberal dealing with the public of Herkimer county.
LUDDEN, Rev. A.P., Little Falls, was born in Ireland May 16, 1842, and studied at Castle Bar and St. Jarlath's College. In 1868 he was ordained priest for foreign missions, and was adopted by Cardinal McCloskey. His first church work was acting as assistant pastor in Little Falls for seven months. He then took charge of Mohawk, Herkimer, Ilion and Frankfort for a time, when he was sent to Hamilton where he remained eleven years and three months and built two churches and a parochial school and a fine cemetery. He came to Little Falls twelve years ago and has accomplished wonders for the Catholic cause there. He has paid off a debt of $51,000 with interest of $15,000 and has built a school costing $15,000 and a deanery that will cost $18,000 when completed.
LYON, Elisha E., Russia, was born July 17, 1826, and is a son of Dr. Benjamin Lyon, who early settled in Oppenheim. About 1812 he came to Russia, where he practiced his profession and superintended a saw-mill. His wife died in Oppenheim and he married, second, Rosina, daughter of Elisha Hall, a native of Connecticut, and a Revolutionary soldier. He came to Russia and settled on the farm the subject now owns. He and two sons, Elisha and John, owned 500 acres of land. He had two sons and three daughters. The sons always resided with their parents. One daughter at present resides at Russia Corners. Dr. Lyon and wife had two sons and two daughters. He was a Whig and died in 1826, and his wife died in 1866. Elisha E. was reared on a farm and received a common school education. In 1857 he married Helen, daughter of Nicholas A. and Nancy Hills, farmers of Herkimer, N.Y., and later of Connecticut. Subject and wife have four children: John, Emma, Cain and Bert, all of whom are living. Mr. Lyon has always been a farmer and now owns 900 acres of land. He is a Republican, a member of the Sons of Temperance, of Russia Grange 680. He and wife are members of the Regular Baptist Church of Russia.