Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
MABBETT, John J., Herkimer, was born in Oneida county, September 8, 1838. He was educated in the schools of this vicinity and Winfield Academy. After this he went to New York city and established a commission business on Forty-fourth street and Eighth avenue. After conducting this for nine years he moved to Mohawk, N. Y., and purchased the Mohawk House, which he conducted for twenty-three years. In 1884 he purchased the brick yards of Edward Hale, which he still conducts, giving employment to twenty men and several teams. Mr. Mabbett's ancestry located at Mabbettsville, Dutchess county, early in the seventeenth century, which locality received its name from his grandfather, who was chief justice of the Supreme Court of New York State. Mr. Mabbett's father was a prominent merchant of this county. J. J. Mabbett married Miss Elizabeth McChesney, by whom he has five children living, three boys and two girls. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, etc., and a staunch Republican in Politics.
MABBETT, Smith E., Mohawk, has been identified with the business interests of Mohawk for many years, twenty-five of which he has been interested in the hotel here. He died in 1889. His widow now conducts the hotel assisted by her son. Charles P. Mabbett is practically the manager of the house for her, and has good business ability. Mrs. M. L. Mabbett's other son, Frank W., is also a representative citizen. Mrs. Mabbett is a thorough American woman, who deserves great credit for keeping her family together and continuing the business here.
MAEYER, Father I. H. W., Salisbury is a native of Holland. He was educated in that country under the Jesuit Fathers, in Latin, Greek, and French. After spending seven years with these branches, he studied philosophy three years and theology six years. He then came to America and was ordained in 1853 by Bishop McCloskey, at Albany, N. Y. He was stationed at St. Mary's, Troy, N. Y., for two years, after which he was at Utica four years. Then under Bishop McFarland at Catskill for some time. Father Maeyer's health becoming much impaired, he returned to Holland, where he remained until 1870. He then returned to this country, and has been stationed at Salisbury Corners since that period.
MANG, Geo. L., Dolgeville, was born in Herkimer, January 22, 1865. He received a good education in the schools of Dolgeville and Salisbury, and on October 6, 1886, established his present grocery and drug establishment. Geo. L. Mang is one of a family of twelve children. His father a a man of sterling worth, and one of his brothers is engaged in business next door to Geo. L's establishment. His wife was Bertha Delamater, a daughter of Jerome Delamater. Mr. Mang is a member of the Masonic brotherhood, R. A., etc.
MARCY, Stoors, Russia, was born in Russia, July 28, 1828, a son of Alpheus Marcy, a native of Connecticut, who came to Trenton and in 1828 moved to Russia. In Trenton he married Harriet Barrows, a native of Connecticut, by whom he had four sons and three daughters. He died in 1882 at the age of ninety-three and his wife died in the same year aged eighty-four. The father of Alpheus Marcy lived and died in Connecticut. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Marcy was Lemuel Barrows, a native of Connecticut, and one of the pioneers of Trenton. In his day he was offered land for $1.25 where the city of Utica now stands. He died in Trenton, on the farm he settled, at the age of ninety. His wife was Miss Stoors, a native of Connecticut. Mr. Marcy married Betsey, a daughter of Charles Prindle, a son of Joseph Prindle, a native of Massachusetts and one of the first settlers of Russia. Charles Prindle was born in Russia. His wife was Clara Smith, by whom he had one daughter, the wife of subject. Mr. Marcy and wife have three children: Phares, a farmer in Russia; Sherman, a minister in the Baptist Church, who resides near New York City and is a graduate of Hamilton College; and Jennie, who lives at home. Mr. Marcy owns 345 acres of land, is a breeder of Southdown sheep and is the most extensive sheep dealer in Russia. He is a Democrat and member of M.E. church.
MARK, Morris, Herkimer, was born in Germany and came to this country before the late war. After clerking for about a year in New York city he joined the French Regiment as private, which was organized in the city then and was sent immediately to the seat of war. This regiment was cut to pieces and the few survivors were transferred to the United States Regular Army, Light Battery Division (or Flying Artillery). During his service here he participated in forty-two actual battles. After the war he went to Amsterdam,N. Y. He engaged in mercantile pursuits and established a small hoop-skirt factory. In 1872 he moved to Herkimer on account of water power and in connection with the hoop-skirt factory started a small knitting mill. Business has grown to large proportions and now employs 327 hands and supplies the wholesale trade through jobbers. The business is now a joint stock concern, of which Mr. Marks is president. He married Miss Annie Sannet of Saratoga and has four children.
MASON, Amos T., Warren, was born in Warren, May 27, 1870, a son of Joseph W. and Harriet R. (Tisdale) Mason. Amos T. received a district and academic education at Ilion and Mohawk. He married May 21, 1889, Florence E., daughter of William and Lydia (McDonald) Hardy, and they had three children: Mira L. and Josie H., one boy (not named). Mr. Mason is a Democrat in politics. He lived a year in Richfield Springs, running a livery, and has been also a dealer in cattle and sheep. After farming for a year in Mohawk he located on a farm near Jordanville, in the spring of 1891, a farm owned by his father Joseph W. After farming two years he moved to the old homestead, where he now lives. His farm is composed of 216 acres.
MASON, Joseph W. Warren, was born in German Flats, September 5, 1837, a son of Alanson and Mary A. (Thomas) Mason. His grandfather, Isaac, was born at Adams, Mass, February 21, 1777, and came to Warren and bought 144 acres on Staley's patent. He returned to Massachusetts, and in 1804 came with his family to Herkimer county. He was twice married, first to Hanna Martin, born in Warren, R. I. She bore him ten children: Ama, Thomas, Alanson, John, Rhoda, Almira, and Harriet twins, Isaac, Apama, Sarah, and James. His wife died July 25, 1826. He married second Mary Chapman. Alanson was born in Berkshire county, Mass, August 17, 1803, died April 17, 1865. He was twice married, having by his first wife eight children; Isaac, Mary, Amos T., Electra J. Walker, Joseph W., Helen E. Morts, Hanna A. Coakley and Maria A. His wife died September 26, 1842, and he married second Adelia Slater, who bore him three children: Norman J., Almira V. Belshaw and Almena V. Bradt. Subject's mother was born in German Flats, a daughter of Amos and Jane Thomas, pioneers of German Flats. At twenty he began for himself at farming on shares. In 1865 he bought his first farm of sixty-five acres in German flats. Three years later he moved to where he now resides on 214 acres. He also owns another farm of 128 acres. He is a Democrat in politics. He married, April 13, 1858, Harriet R., daughter of Elijah and Helen (Shove) Tisdale. Harriet was born January 3, 1842. Her father was born in Connecticut, September 7, 1792, and died where his daughter now lives, April 6, 1869. He married first Ruth Palmer, born July 31, 1802, in German Flats, who bore him four children: Thomas H., George W., Henry S., and Quedett. He married a second time and raised three children: Harriet R., Lydia A. and Dorothy M. His second wife was born at Johnstown, February 3, 1822, died October 12, 1880. Subject's wife's grandfather, Ephraim Tisdale, was born in Norwich, Conn. His wife was Welthy Babcock. He died in 1854, age 85, and his wife died aged 91. Subject and wife had three children: Cory, died aged seven, Amos T. and Cary. Amos T. was born May 27, 1870. Married to Florence Hardy May 21, 1889. They have three children. Cary W. was born March 16, 1872. Married to Lulu Hardy November 22, 1892.
MATHER, J., Fairfield is one of the oldest a best known residents of the town of Fairfield. His early business years were spent in mercantile lines, and the last twenty-two managing his own and other dairy farms, amounting to 650 acres and 126 cows. He was postmaster at Fairfield for twelve years under Presidents Van Buren, Pierce and Buchanan. In 1844 he married Eliza Jones, and they have three children living, Albert B., Fred D., and Maria L. Mather. His father, Moses Mather, was instrumental in founding the Fairfield Academy, and Mr. Mather was its treasurer for twenty years, and an active trustee for about forty years.
MAY, William, Fairfield, is a native of England, and was born December 12, 1836. He came to America in 1851 and settled in Lockport. He first farmed for five years and then came to Fairfield. After which he returned to England, where he remained one year. He then came to Middleville and embarked in the meat business, which he has successfully conducted. He is a Mason and is popular socially. Mr. May has been twice married, his first wife being Ellen (Robbins) May of Middleville. They had two daughters, both married and living in Ohio. His second wife was Mary Stewart, born in Ireland; one son.
MAYNARD, John E., a native of the town of Litchfield, has lived in Frankfort fourteen years. He married February 6, 1878, Flora A. Bennett, of Frankfort; they have three children, Arthur B., Mabel A., and Ella Jenette. His place, "Valley View Stock Farm," of one hundred acres is as the name indicates, situated upon a hill which gives a fine view of the surrounding country. In 1890 Mr. Maynard built a very fine barn for dairy and stock purposes, it being thirty-six by seventy-two feet with twenty feet posts, and basement finely arranged for thirty cows, with stalls and box stalls for horses also, it being one of the notable buildings of the town.
McARTHUR, Daniel, Russia, was born in Russia, July 9, 1851, a son of Donald McArthur, a native of Nairshire, Scotland, born in 1793, who married Ann Rollo, a native of Scotland. They had one son and two daughters. In 1830 Mr. McArthur and family came to America and settled at Remsen, Oneida county, and after nine years moved to the farm now owned by Daniel. Here he spent the remainder of his life. Mrs. McArthur died in 1841 and he married second, Margaret Rollo, a twin sister of his first wife and to them one daughter was born. She died in 1846 and he married third, Ann Morrison, a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland by whom he had three sons and three daughters. Mr. McArthur was a mason and builder by trade, but followed farming. He was a Democrat and was assessor twelve years, and was also a Free Mason. He died November 17, 1875, and his wife December 6, 1890. The subject of this sketch has always resided on the farm where he was born. He was educated in the common schools and the Union School at Holland Patent. In 1876 Daniel McArthur married Rachel, daughter of Henry and Christina Fisher, of Ohio, N. Y., and they have had three children: Nellie E., William and Frank, all residing at home. Mr. McArthur keeps a large dairy and also owns a cheese factory, and makes about 67,000 pounds of cheese annually. He is a Democrat. His wife is a member of the Lutheran church of Ohio.
McCAMMON, George W., Manheim was born October 25, 1808, in Albany, N. Y. He received a liberal education in the schools of that city, after which he clerked in the Troy Iron and Nail factory for six years. At twenty-one years of age he was engaged for five years in Orange county as book-keeper at Cornwall Cotton factory; was appointed second officer of the steamer "North America," and two years afterwards was engaged in smelting ore in Canada, in connection with a Mr. Townsend, under the firm name of Townsend & McCammon. In 1839 he purchased his farm of 133 acres, near Little Falls, upon which he has since lived. Squire McCammon has held the office of justice of the peace and was appointed by the governor inspector of turnpikes in Herkimer, which position he held for thirty years. Mr. McCammon married Miss Mariah Cook and has eight children living.
McCHESNEY, H., is a native and life-long resident of Little Falls and has spent a long and active life at the blacksmith's forge. The result of fifty-seven years' industry is that he has secured to himself a comfortable competency and is able in his later years to live free from care and enjoy his well-earned repose. He is a man of fine intellect considering his opportunities, and has always been highly thought of in Little Falls. He was a member of the fire department for sixteen years and was a Democrat until1856, since which time he has been a Republican. He has two sons, Earl McChesney and Robert the latter deceased. Earl is an engineer on the New York Central and Robert was a conductor for twelve years on the same line.
McCHESNEY, Robert D., Russia was born February 27, 1836, in Little Falls, and is a son of Robert, whose grandfather was a native of Connecticut, of Scotch descent. He was killed in a powder-mill. He had eight children. Robert was born in Scotland. His wife was Betsy Swift, a native of Connecticut, by whom he had two sons. By a previous marriage Mr. McChesney had fifteen children. He lived at Fall Hall several years, and he died in Paine's Hollow in 1839, and his wife in 1870. Robert D. was reared on a farm until twenty-five years of age, when he learned the carpenter trade, which he has since followed. His brother William is a minister in the Methodist Protestant church in Minnesota, where he has resided twenty-seven years. In 1868 Robert D. McChesney married Ester Mykel, a native of Grant, and they have had three children. Frank, aged twenty-two years, is a telegraph operator and resides in Pennsylvania; James C., aged nineteen years, works in Little Falls. In 1888 Mr. McChesney married second, Lucy, a daughter of Daniel Garlock, of Cold Brook. At the age of nine years he came with his mother to Grant, and has since resided here, being now the only resident of the village that was living in it when he came to it in 1845 to live with his mother. Subject is a Democrat in politics and a deacon in the Free Will Baptist Church.
McCLEAN, Simpson, Salisbury, was born in Ireland, March 1, 1845. His father, John C. McLean, came to this country when Simpson was a child. They settled first in Philadelphia, where the elder McLean followed the occupation of weaving. After three years they moved into Fairfield and took up land. Our subject was educated in the schools of the vicinity, and afterwards traveled for fifteen years for a well-known patent medicine house. About ten years ago he started a general store in Devereaux, which he has since successfully conducted. In 1861 Mr. McLean enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteers and served three years, participating in nineteen battles. He was discharged at Atlanta, Ga. He was severely wounded three times. Mr. McLean married Elizabeth Smith, by whom he had one son, Nathan, now an engineer. Some time after his first wife's death our subject married Fanny Case, and they have had three children. Mr. McLean is a member of the G. A. R. post at Salisbury Center. He owns the town hall, his store, and meat market, besides dwellings and lots in Devereaux.
McDOUGAL, Richard, Dolgeville, was born in Montgomery county, now Fulton county, July 3, 1829. He was brought up on a farm and worked thereon until his eighteenth year, when he was apprenticed to the cabinet trade. After completing this trade and working at it for a few years, he commenced to do stove pattern-making, at which he remained successfully for twenty-five years. About two years ago he started his present furniture and undertaking establishment in Dolgeville. Mr. McDougal is of Scotch descent, his great-grandfather settled in Fulton county early in the seventeenth century. His father also lived and died here, and is buried in Stratford. His ancestor participated in the war of 1812. Mr. McDougal is identified with local social and benevolent institutions.
McEVOY, Hon. P. H., Little Falls, was born in Ireland about thirty-seven years since and came to this country when quite young, and settled in the town of Salisbury. His early days were spent working for farmers in the town of Fairfield. His early education was obtained in the district schools of the county by doing chores for his board in the winters and attending school, and working out summers. Subsequently he attended school at Fairfield Seminary for six years and paid his tuition by working out for the farmers during vacation. He graduated in the five year course in 1868 and was valedictorian of the class. In the fall of 1868 he commenced the study of law in the office of Messrs. Hardin & Burrows (Mr. Hardin has been presiding judge of General Term for many years). He taught school in the "Old Brick Schoolhouse" on the creek road, near Herkimer, that winter, and in October 1869, was admitted to the bar. He soon after moved to St. Johnsville, Montgomery county at the invitation of Hezekiah Baker, who was district attorney of Montgomery county, to help him as district attorney, and remained there about one year. He afterward made a complete course of philosophy, moral and dogmatic theology at the University of Niagara. At an early age he espoused the principles of the Republican party and in every important election since 1868 stumped the county for the party, and frequently spoke in other parts of State for the state committee. He grew rapidly in public appreciation as a speaker and leader with the result that he was sent to the Legislature in 1887 by the unprecedented majority of 1,804, and in 1888 the Democrats nominated no one against him. While there he gained distinction for carrying through the celebrated elevator bill, that settled the important fact that the legislature has a right to say what charge corporation shall make for their public services. It has been contested in every court and recently pronounced constitutional by the United States Supreme Court. It had been introduced in the Legislature every year for the past eighteen years but never passed before. He is actively engaged in the practice of law at Little Falls.
McGOWAN, Captain James, Litchfield, who is serving his second term as assessor of the town of Litchfield has also held the offices of collector and overseer of the poor. He enlisted in company E., 152d N. Y. Vols., September 6 1862, as a private, and was promoted from orderly sergeant to first lieutenant, and then to captain of the same company and regiment. He served as captain until his discharge at the end of his service, July 14, 1865. He was born August 4, 1841, and settled in Litchfield in 1847, and on December 25, 1865 on the farm where he now lives. In 1881 he married Gordena Maxwell. They have three children, Mary Charlott, Florence Grace and William Delano. Mrs. McGowan was born in Scotland June 18, 1848, and came to this town in 1853, to the same house where she now lives.
McKEE, Samuel, Winfield, son of James and Currence (Jackson) McKee, was born in Arlington, Vt., December 14, 1804, and settled in Winfield in March 1826. He married Betsey C., daughter of Moses and Alice Eldred, in March 1829. Their children are: Cornelia J. Smith, Flora F. Crandall, S. James McKee, of Danville, Ill., Myron A. McKee, cashier of Richfield springs Bank, and Fannie A. Day. One daughter, Alice M. Houghton, died February 14, 1875. Samuel McKee held several town offices-inspector and commissioner of common schools, supervisor two terms, justice of the peace sixteen years, also vice-president and director of the West Winfield Bank several terms. He commenced in life a poor boy, has acquired a competence, and is now living a retired farmer Winfield.
McKENNAN, John, Herkimer, son of Alexander McKennan, is a native of the village of Herkimer, and was born November 10, 1821. He received his education in the schools of that time in the village and in Fairfield Seminary. He has been a farmer all his life. He has 193 acres of land used for dairy purposes and has a herd of twenty-three cows and raises about 100 tons of hay yearly. Mr. McKennan married Elizabeth Burlingham, and they have a family of seven children, Charles, Irving, Harry, Lizzie, Dora, John A. and Morell. He is of Scotch descent.
MCMILLAN, J. L., German Flats, was born in Cambridge, Washington county, April 8, 1859. He taught a year in the Putnam Institute, then was clerk for a time and subsequently engaged in manufacturing. He is the inventor of the type-setting machine and is manager of a company manufacturing them in Ilion. He has also invented a type-distributer. In 1889 Mr. McMillan married Miss Martha E. Weaver and they have one daughter. Mr. McMillan has been nine years in Ilion.
McWENIE, William, Little Falls, was born in Whitesboro, Oneida county, in 1857. He received a good education in the schools of this place and about five years ago took charge of the Beattie House at Little Falls, which he has since conducted with success. Mr. McWenie married Emma Fenner, and has three children, two sons and a daughter. He is a member of the K. of H., Red Men, etc. He is identified with the local social, political and benevolent organizations of the town. In politics he is a Democrat.
MEAGHER, John, of Little Falls is a native of Ireland. He was born in 1835 and came to America in 1846. He learned the trade of tanner in Boston. In 1853 he went into business in Boston, which he gave up during the crisis of 1860. He then went west and took a position in Rockford, Ill. In 1875 he moved to Chicago, becoming superintendent for Ingle Brothers. Subsequently he was superintendent for Gray, Clark & Co. for five years. After filling other responsible positions he became superintendent for J. S. Barnett in 1888, and has done much toward attaining the high name the leather of this factory posses. In 1853 Mr. Meager married Mary Slattery and they have six children living, two sons and four daughters. Both sons work in the tannery with their father, Thomas F. having charge of the up stairs.is identified with local social, political and benevolent institutions such as Elks, royal Arcanum, fire and police commissioners, etc., and is an honorary member of the fire department. He married Elizabeth Herbert of Franklin county and has two children.
MERRY, Seward, German Flats, was born in Mohawk, January 7, 1846, and from 1860 to 1864 was a clerk in the post-office. He was subsequently American Express agent for twenty-three years. He went into the grocery business with his father when twenty-eight years of age, a business which he still continues. He was president of the Republican Club of Ilion for some time and is a Knight Templar in the Masonic order. In 1872 he married Miss Mary C. Myers, and they have three children, Flora R., Margaret L., and Lawrence L.
MILLER, Dr., Adam, Jordanville, was born in Columbia May 21, 1819, a son of William J. and Nancy (Haner) Miller. The Grandfather, John A., was a son of Andrew, who came from Germany and settled in Rensaelaer county, in colonial days. He was a Patriot in the Revolutionary War. He was the first man buried in the Columbia churchyard. His son John was born in Rensaelaer county . and was a pioneer of Colunbia , where he lived and died in 1842. His wife was Nancy Graner. Their children were: Andrew, John, William J., Christopher, Jacob, Susan, Barringer, Nancy, Chamberlain, and Catherine. William J. was born in Columbia in September 1796, where he resided until his eightieth year. He was captain of militia, and served as supervisor. His wife died in her eighty- eighth year. She was born in Columbia, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Kenter) Haner, pioneers of Columbia. Subject was one of ten children. Adam, John who died age nineteen, Jacob W., Philip, William, William, Mary E., Cornelia, Caroline, Catherine and Melinda. Dr. Miller was raised on a farm, received a district and select school education, and at nineteen began the study of medicine with Dr. Charles H. Easton. He graduated from Geneva Medical College in January 1844, and located in Jordanville , where he has practiced ever since. He also attended a course at the University of the City of New York. 1854-55 and has been the only physician in this town since 1881. He had been a member of the Hrekimer Medical Soceity since 1844 , and has served as its secretary, and also as school superintendant of Warren 1850-52. He was a Democrat and was postmaster from 1852-61, and takes an active interest in politics. He was assistant surgeon of the State militia in1843 and 1844 was appointed surgeon by Governor Bouck, and was appointed acting surgeon by Governor Bouck, and was appointed acting assistant Surgeon in the Government Hospital near Alexandra, Va., in 1862, which he held until sickness compelled him to return home. In January, 1863, he was appointed assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred Fifty Second New York Volunteers' and nine months later resigned on account of failing health. He is a member of F. & A.M.. and has been twice married, first to Mary Ann, daughter of Warren Mack of Herkimer. His wife died in 1875. She was an active member of the M.E. Church. His second wife was Mary A. Vining.
MILLER, Alonzo P., Winfield, was born in Frankfort, January 21, 1837. He owns a grain and dairy farm of 183 acres. He enlisted in the late war in Company E, 152d N.Y. Volunteers, September 11, 1862, was appointed corporal, September 21, 1862, and served as such until he became sergeant, December 2, 1864; he also served in the regiment band about one year. He was discharged July 13, 1865, near Washington D.C. His father was Riley Miller, who was born in Chatham, Columbia county, and early settled in this town. He was born May 6, 1805, and died October 6, 1874. He was a son of Nathaniel Miller, born July 8, 1775, and died July 24, 1856. Alonzo P. Miller married October 6, 1868, Hester A. Slade, and they have two children: Minnie E., who married James K. Armling, and Carrie L., a teacher at North Winfield. Hester A. Miller was a daughter of Samuel and Eliza Slade, of Litchfield.
MILLINGTON, Dr. Stephen R., Russia, was born near Russia village February 9, 1826, a son of Richard and Matilda (Robbins) Millington. Richard was the only son of Deacon Nathan Millington, one of the first settlers, for many years a justice, supervisor of the town and prominent in all local affairs. Richard was the second male child born in Russia. Matilda was the oldest daughter of Reuben Robbins, esq., of Cold Brook. both died the same week, in January 1881, at the home of their son, Stephen P., aged eighty-one and eighty years respectively. another son, Nathan R., died at Holland Patent in 1872, aged fifty years. An adopted daughter, Sarah L., is the wife of Dr. J. L. Seavey, of Poland. Stephen R. attended district school and entered Fairfield Academy; during the winters of 1842-3-4 he was in school, then he taught district school several terms. In 1845 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Walter Booth, of Russia. He attended lectures at Albany and at the Geneva Medical College, graduating at Geneva in the winter of 1847 and 1848. In 1848 he married Ada R. Walker, daughter of E. N. Walker, who died in July, 1852. In 1853 he married Harty L. Lamberson of Salisbury, daughter of Charles and Sarah Lamberson, and they have one son, Charles S. He practiced medicine thirteen years in Norway, where he was elected town clerk, school commissioner, supervisor, and to the Assembly in 1859 and 1860. He moved to Poland in 1860, and continued the practice of medicine until 1872. In the fall of 1872 he, with others, established a bank in Poland, and gave the business much of his personal attention. In 1880 he took an active part in the building of the Herkimer, Newport and Poland railroad, and continued as vice-president of the company until the road was sold and extended - now the Adirondack and St. Lawrence railroad. Charles S. married Allie, a daughter of J. R. Webster, in 1878, and they have three children: Maud, Harty and Ada. In 1872 he was made cashier of the first bank organized in Poland; has taken the active management of the business and is now the cashier of National Bank of Poland.
MITCHELL, Edwin B., Herkimer, attorney at law, Herkimer, is a native of Oneida county, N. Y., and was educated at Fairfield seminary and at Falley Seminary, Fulton, N. Y. He studied law with Adams & Swan in Utica, and was admitted to the bar in 1876. In 1878 he came to Herkimer and formed a partnership with E. A. Brown, which existed until January 1, 1886. He was elected police justice in 1887 and was twice re-elected. He has been a member of the Board of Education six years and also justice of the peace. He is an Odd Fellow, a member of the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Mitchell married Henrietta N. Townsend, daughter of H. Townsend of Utica, who is scion of an old English family.
MITCHELL, Thomas H., German Flats, is a native of England and was a steel spindle maker there. He spent two and one-half years in Russia and subsequently came to America in 1879. He worked in a rolling mill in Michigan and for eight and one-half years in Remington Gun Works. He has live in Ilion twelve years. He is proprietor of the Commercial Hotel. In 1870 Mr. Mitchell married Miss Mary J. Cheetham. Mr. Mitchell's father John C. Mitchell, is eighty-six years of age and lives with him.
David E., Warren, was born December 25, 1855, in Warren,
a son of Kiran A. and Martha (Kane) Mixter. The grandfather, David, came
from Massachusetts, and was an old settler of Warren, where he died, aged
fifty-four. They had eleven children: Daniel, Eliza, Mary, Laura, Hanna,
David E., Ira Orland, Alvaro, Kiran and Hulda.
MOLINEUX, Frank M., Fairfield, is a native of Middleville, and at the age of sixteen went to London, England, to learn the trade of painter. He remained in England six years and then returned to Middleville and embarked in business for himself and does the painting for this part of the county including all of that for the railroad. He is a Republican and an adherent of the Episcopal church of which his wife is a member. In 1882 Mr. Molineux married Miss Emily Clarke of Sheffield, England, and they have a family of four children. His father is engineer in the Middleville tannery and is an Englishman by birth.
MONROE, Thomas M., Herkimer, was born in Utica, N. Y. His father came to this country from Scotland when the subject of this sketch was but a child and settled in Utica. Thomas M. Monroe was one of twelve children. After receiving and excellent educations in the public schools of this vicinity, he engaged in the manufacture of cotton in Greene county until the outbreak of the war when he entered the navel service under Dupont at Hilton Head. In 1864 he re-enlisted in the Sixty-First Massachusetts, Company D, and participated in many battles and skirmishes. He was mustered out in June 1865. Mr. Monroe is an active and prominent member of the G. A. R. and also of the Masonic fraternity. He is engaged in the wholesale bottling traffic, his goods being sold throughout the State. His wife was Miss Amanda J. Lewis of this State. He has two sons, both engaged with him in business.
MONTGOMERY, William K., Winfield, was born in Fairfield, Vt., in 1832, and came to Winfield in 1862. He is by trade a carpenter and joiner, and has built many fine buildings. He is also a farmer in East Winfield. He was drafted in the late war and paid $300 for a substitute. He was a son of Cyril Montgomery, of Fairfield, Vt., and he is a son of William, a prominent man, a large land owner and capitalist. He was one of the stockholders and main movers in the "Old Cherry Valley Turnpike." He settled in this town about 1800. William K. Montgomery married in 1858 Juliatte, daughter of Hiram Burgess, of this town, who was also a thrifty farmer, quite an extensive hop-grower and dairyman. They have six children: John C. F., Rosie M., Edwin D., Lee L., Mary B. and Nettie M. They have lost one, Louisa A., who died March 18, 1880, aged sixteen years.
MOON, Clinton Abner, Newport, was born in the town of Russia, November 8, 1827, the oldest son of Abner and Emily (Millington) Moon, the latter a native of Russia, and a daughter of Jonathan and Susannah Millington, who were members and active workers in the Methodist church. Our subject attended school and prepared for college at Fairfield. He graduated from Union College at Schenectady, class of 1853. He then taught several terms and studied law in Newport with John A. Wooster. He married Frances M., daughter of Christopher Hawkins. Their two children are Jessie, wife of Frederick Holton, and Annie. Mrs. Moon died May 28, 1890, and he married second Harriet F. Gray of Rome, N. Y., a daughter of Col. Timothy Harvey Ferris and Eliza (Salisbury) Ferris, who were residents of Prospect, Oneida county, N. Y. Mr. Moon died May 11, 1892. He was a Universalist, and a Republican in politics. During the late war he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-first Regiment, Company C, and was captain of his company, but received an honorable discharge on account of poor health. He held numerous offices in his town, including that of district attorney and supervisor.
MOON, Dr. John, Dolgeville, was born in Oneida county, N.Y., November 6, 1825. He received a good education in the schools of this vicinity, and afterwards studied medicine with Dr. Hemstead at Poland. After attending lectures at Ann Arbor Dr. Moon commenced the practice of medicine at Greysville, where he remained four years. About three years ago Dr. Moon went to Salisbury Centre, but only remained there two years. He has been a resident of Dolgeville for the past year, having retired from active practice. The doctor has taken charge of the Adirondack Hotel here. His wife was Miss Adelia Hemstead. They have four children, one boy and three girls. His son, John R.Moon, has charge of the doctor's hotel in Deveraux.
MOON, William W., Newport, born April 20, 1843, in Cold Brook, N. Y., is a son of Jefferson Moon, who was a native of Petersburg, Rensselaer county, born November 26, 1801. His father died when he was ten years old, and he being the eldest, was obliged to support the family, and so his education was necessarily limited. August 13, 1820 he married Martha Philips. In 1822 he moved to Trenton, Oneida county, and purchased a farm known as the Camp Ground Farm, where he resided until 1833. He then went to Cold Brook, where he spent the remainder of his life. For some time he kept a hotel, was then in the distillery business, afterwards in the lumbering trade, and finally in cheese-box making. In 1863 he retired from the business. He was a Whig and a Republican. He was justice of peace twenty-five years and justice of sessions many years. By his first wife, who died in 1853 he had eleven children. His second wife, Sophia Nelson, of Newport, died December 8, 1858. He died January 15, 1875. William W. was reared in Cold Brook and educated in the common schools and Fairfield Seminary. He taught school five years, was agent of Cold Brook Union store three years and then engaged in the lumber trade with his brother Samuel three years. He and his brother then engaged in farming and dealing in cattle and horses. They are now extensive real estate owners in Herkimer county. On the 28th of January, 1866, he married Alice McVoy, of Grant, a daughter of Patrick and Deliah (Willoughby) McVoy, the former from Ireland, the latter of Newport, N. Y., a daughter of James Willoughby. Mr. and Mrs. Moon have two children, James W. of the firm of Forest & Moon, and Flora A. Mr. Moon is a Republican and was supervisor five years, chairman of the board in 1879, and he has been town clerk. He was one of the building committee of the Count-House and one of directors of the Poland National Bank.
MOORE, John D., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer county, December 26, 1855. After receiving a common school education he learned the carpenter trade, then was clerk for six years, after which he formed a co-partnership with Oliver H. Perry, which still exists. Mr. Moore was elected president of the village in 1885, trustee in 1889, and re-elected in 1890. He married Miss Libbie Davis, a daughter of H.R. Davis. They have three children, two boys and a girl. Oliver H. Perry was born in Herkimer, July 3, 1848, and has always lived here. He married Miss Nancy J. Moore, a sister of John D. Moore. They have no children. This firm has a Carriage and Harness Repository. They are large real estate owners, and have built up a section of this village. They also own a large dairy farm just outside of the village. They are energetic, enterprising, and reliable business men and citizens. Mr. Moore is also foreman of the Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company, of Herkimer. In the year 1880 was formed the co-partnership which now exists, of Perry & Moore. They were at that time and for some years after engaged in the manufacture of carriages, sleighs, etc., until factory work compelled them to go out of manufacturing and start a repository for the sale of new work, and finally to the exclusion of manufacturing, as all small concerns must do. At this time they were engaged in the milk business, but their supply not being large enough to meet the demand of their customers, they bought more land in the corporate limits of the village, in all about twenty-three acres, after which, in extending streets and laying out some new ones, there was added to the village seventy-seven village lots. This property made the firm largely interested in what was at this time the southern suburbs of the corporation. The school district comprises the whole corporation of the village. About 1878 there was a new school building erected, and a few years ago it was found inadequate for its purpose. The subject of enlarging its capacity was agitated and brought before a school meeting called for the purpose, when the subject was voted down. This firm having a large interest on the opposite side of the railroad (where about one-half of the children lived, who had to cross the railroad tracks), after three or four school meetings, was successful in getting a new school building placed below the railroad at a cost of about $20,000. The pleasant village of Herkimer has now a school-house second to no other in this section, and it may be said that it is largely owing to the influence of this firm. The firm besides selling lots have erected twenty-five new buildings on their own account, some of which they have sold to honest toilers, and some of which they rent.
MOORE, Milo, Russia, was born in Russia August 7, 1839, son of Orson and Thirza (Salisbury) Moore, whose children were Sarah A. (deceased), wife of Hon. Daniel Northrop; Jane E. (deceased), Lyman (deceased), John (deceased), Thirza (deceased), Loretta (deceased), Miles and Eliza, wife of Edwin Knight, and Milo. Milo attended district school until seventeen years of age, when he entered Fairfield Seminary. At nineteen he commenced teaching, which he followed for six winters. When twenty-six years of age he traveled through the West. From 1866 to 1867 he followed cheesemaking. January 6, 1870, he married Mary C., daughter of William and Susan (Millington) Buck, and has four children, William B., Jennie G., George O. and Charles M. He is a Republican, and had been overseer of the poor, town clerk and justice of the peace for the past sixteen years, and supervisor in 1881-82 and 1892. Orson was born in Brookfield, Mass., in August, 1801. He was justice of the peace sixteen terms, supervisor three years and a member of the Legislature in 1862. He died November 27, 1881, and his wife, Thirza, died in 1842. In 1843 he married Matilda Salisbury, a sister of his former wife. He was the father of eight children. His grandfather, Thomas Moore, was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary War.
MOORS, Alfred A., M. D., Winfield, was born in Plainfield, Otsego county, August 6, 1832, a son of Isaac L. and Mary S. Moors. He was educated at West Winfield Academy and at Pittsfield, Mass. He commenced reading medicine with Dr. J. M. Rose of West Winfield, then with J. H. Childs, of Pittsfield, Mass. He attended lectures and graduated at the Memphis (Tenn.) Medical College, and commenced practice at Salisbury, Herkimer county, remaining three years then moved to Medina, Orleans county for two years. He next went to Cedarville and was there eight years, and came to West Winfield in 1868, where he has been in practice twenty-four years. He married December 2, 1856, Mary Jane, daughter of Atwater cook of Salisbury, Herkimer county, and they have two children living, James A. and Maud M. They have lost one son, Harry who died February 26, 1865. Mary Jane (Cook) Moors died June 6, 1891.
MOREY, George C., M. D., Russia, was born in Eaton, Madison county, July 18, 1843. His father was Dexter A., a son of George Morey, a native of Connecticut and of Scotch descent, who married Electa Morey, by whom he had nine children. Mr. Morey and family came to Madison county and here he and his wife lived and died. Dexter A. was born May 7, 1818. He married Annie Meyer a native of Steuben, Oneida county, by whom he had a son and a daughter. In 1846 Mr. Morey went to Steuben and there lived and died. He was a Whig and voted for William Henry Harrison and also for his grandson, Benjamin Harrison. He died May 9, 1802, and his wife is still living in Oneida county. George C. was reared on a farm and received a common school education, supplemented by several terms in an academy at Rome, N. Y. At the age of eighteen he began studying medicine with Dr. Alfred Gillette of Steuben. One year previous he taught school and followed that during winter for several years. August, 1862, he enlisted, in Company B, One Hundred and Seventeenth New York Volunteer Infantry and was discharged in 1863. He then returned to the study of medicine, graduating from Vermont Medical College in 1865. He began practice in Grant and has since been very successful. In 1885 he married Lelia Vincent, a native of Cold Brook, a daughter of William and Jane Vincent. By a previous marriage Dr. Morey had two sons and one daughter. He is a Republican, a member of E. A. U., No. 327, of Grant, and G. A. R. Post Thomas, No. 39.
MOREY, L. A., Newport, was born in Fairfield, N. Y., November 14, 1845, a son of William E., who was one of twelve children of David and Annie (Parkhurt) Morey, natives respectively of Stephentown and Fairfield, N.Y. In 1793 Mr. Morey settled on a farm in Fairfield, and became an extensive land-owner. He died in 1860. William E. Morey was born in Fairfield, N. Y., May 4, 1817. He married Eliza, daughter of Low Carpenter, of Norway. The children of William E. Morey are: L. A. and Emogene F. The latter married C. G. Verney, who resides in Norway. In 1852 Mr. Morey purchased the farm where his son now resides, and here spent the remainder of his days. He was a Republican, and was assessor and excise commissioner. He was a member of Newport Lodge No. 455, F. & A. M., and died January 20, 1892. His wife resides with her daughter. L. A. Morey was educated in the Fairfield Seminary, and in Eastman's Business College, graduating from the latter in 1867. In 1868 he married Maria H., daughter of Henry D. and Clarissa A. Parkhurst, the former of Fairfield, and the latter of Norway. Mrs. Morey was born March 21, 1849, a native of Fairfield. Their children are: Fannie B., Will H., Anna B., and Clara E. Mr. Morey is a Republican, and a member of Newport Lodge No. 455, F. & A. M.
MOREY, Milo, Newport, was born in Fairfield, N. Y., August 7, 1847, a son of David H., who was a son of David Morey. David H. Morey was born in Fairfield, October 27, 1812, and on September 8, 1813, he married Elsie Buchanan, born October 10, 1813, a native of Little Falls. (Note: these dates are in the book) She is a daughter of Thomas and Mary (Churchill) Buchanan, who reared eleven children. Thomas Buchanan was a native of Little Britain, N. Y., and when six years of age came to Little Falls with his parents. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Morey are, Newel, Mary, Milo, and Annie. Mr. Morey was a farmer. In 1859 he came to Newport, but died the same year on December 10th. He was a Whig, afterwards a Republican, and held minor offices in the town. Milo Morey was educated in the common schools, in Fairfield Academy, and in the Clinton Liberal Institute. He is a farmer, and for the past thirty years has resided on the farm which he now owns. On the 21st of May, 1873, he married Kittie Averill, a native of Potsdam, St. Lawrence county, born March 28, 1856. She is a daughter of Theodore and Catherine Davis. Mr. and Mrs. Milo Morey have had two children, Grove and Belle. He is a Republican, and has been assessor five years, and a member of the school board eleven years. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, of Newport, No. 596.
MORGAN, A. D., German Flats, is a native of Ilion and was born December 6, 1859. He studied law with J. P. Rafter and was admitted to the bar in 1881. He opened an office in Ilion in 1883 but did not practice long as he was appointed postmaster by President Cleveland in 1885. On the expiration of his term in 1889, Mr. Morgan engaged in the coal, flour and feed business in Ilion, which he has since carried on. He is also, president of the Broomhall Milling and Malting Company of Mohawk. He married Miss Anna Chattaway in 1885 and they have one son. Mr. Morgan's father was Amos A. Morgan, well-known in Ilion in his day. He was one of the oldest residents of this place, having been born here in 1823, at which time the place was called Morgan's Landing after his father's family. He died January 31, 1891.
MORGAN, Franklin Dwight, Winfield, was born in Winfield March 20, 1842, third son of Newton Americus Morgan, who was the second son of Ebenezer, who settled first on the Hugh Davis place. Newton Americus Morgan, the second son, married Harriet, oldest daughter of Dennis Philleo. They had seven children, Laura A., who died at eight years of age; Eliza Jane, Theressa, Milton Taylor. The family moved to what is known as the Deacon Eaton farm, where two sons were born, Henry Curtis and Franklin Dwight. He then bought of Squire Green what was called the old Joe Walker farm, and moved to that house, where another son, Newton Philleo, was born. Newton Americus Morgan died March 2, 1861, aged fifty-five years. Franklin Dwight Morgan married Rosa R. Harrison, of this town, daughter of Stephen Harrison, a native of England, August 29, 1864. In September, 1867 they bought and settled on a farm in Pulaski, town of Richland, Oswego county. They have had one son, Frankie A. S., born November 21, 1867, who died August 18, 1875, in Pulaski, where he was born. The parents since the spring have rented their Pulaski farm, and have lived at and near Winfield. Mr. F. D. Morgan was superintendent of the Unadilla Valley Stock Farm from April, 1890, to March, 1892, when he gave up farming, and bought and settled in the Ira Walker house in west Winfield. He is now engaged in the livery business in West Winfield near Cottage Hotel.
MORGAN, Taylor W., Winfield, was born in Winfield, on the farm first settled by his father and grandfather, the latter one of the first settlers. Taylor W. was born on May 26, 1816. He married Abagail, sister of Col. Alonzo Wood, and they have one son living, Kendrick E., vice-president and manager of the Morgan Storage and Warehouse Company, of Chicago. He was educated at the West Winfield Academy and at the Hungerford Collegiate Institute, at Adams, N. Y., read law with Burrows & Palmer, Little falls, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar in 1876. Kendrick E. Morgan formed a partnership with Burrows & Palmer in 1876, and remained a member of that firm until July, 1888, when he went to St. Louis, and from there to Chicago, and is in business in both places. Alice L. Morgan was born June 16, 1844, and died April 1863. She was educated at the West Winfield Academy, at the Whitestown Seminary, and at the Ladies Seminary at Hamilton. Kendrick E. Morgan married Amanda M., daughter of Mrs. R. A. Alden, of Little Falls.
MORSE, William H., Norway, was born in Lewis county, October 17 1842. His father was Nathaniel Morse, a son of William Morse, a son of Tankard Morse. The latter was a native of Germany and when a child came to this country with his parents. When seven years old the family was captured by the Indians. He and his sister were saved but they witnessed the massacre of their parents. Some years afterwards Tankard was stolen from the Indians by a white man, who gave to him his own name, Tankard. Mr. Morse was married, had four sons and died in Norway in 1830. Mr. Morse was born in Chatham in 1786 and married Lydia Bunnell of Ohio, born 1788. They had five children. Mrs. Morse died and Mr. Morse married Ann Cook, and they had five children. Mrs. Morse died February 11 1835, and Mr. Morse in 1869. Nathaniel Morse was born in Ohio and came to Norway when a boy with his parents. He married Eliza Wilcox of Westerly, R. I., born 1813, one of five children of Parker and Mary (Clauson) Wilcox, who bore him one son and four daughters.. Mr. Morse died September 19, 1883, and his wife, who is seventy-nine years of age, resides with subject. W. H. Morse was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and in Fairfield Academy. October 31, 1867 he Married Nancy B. Collins, of Russia, born May 18, 1843, a daughter of Benjamin and Almira Collins. Mr. Collins was a farmer. H was assessor and held minor offices. He died in 1873 and his wife in 1883. To subject and wife have been born one son, Allison D., who resides with his parents, and one daughter, Mary, who is now Mrs. Frank Nethaway, of Norway. She has two children, Nellie and Almira. Mr. Morse is a Republican and has been assessor seven years. His wife is a member of the M. E. church.
MOSHER, W. W., Fairfield, is a native of Oppenheim, Fulton county, born January 19, 1831. He came to Middleville at the age of seventeen and began life as a clerk. To-day he is a man of wealth and influence. In 1853 he embarked in the mercantile business, which he followed up to a year ago. For the past ten years he has been actively engaged in the quarry business which is very extensive. He is a thirty-two degree Mason and an active Democrat. He was supervisor of Fairfield four consecutive terms, and president of the Board of Education, which position he filled for years. In 1854 he married the daughter of Walter Griswold, and has two daughters, Mrs. H. E. Jackson and Mrs. D. G. Jackson of Middleville.
MUCKEY, Warner, Frankfort, the only son of eight children born to Jasper and Eve (Lints) Muckey, was born in Frankfort October 22, 1844. March 4, 1862, he married Emma Slomaker of Frankfort, one of three children of Daniel E. and Elizabeth (Cummins) Slomaker. They have two children living, Millie and Alonzo. Mr. Muckey has been in business in Frankfort during the past nine years, his present place of business being known as the Imperial Hotel, No. 71 Main street, a fine building which was erected in 1889 by Wallace Crosby.
MULLEN, Joseph, Little Falls, was born in Utica, N. Y. He commenced business in Little Falls, on Bridge street, in the old Iron Clad Clothing Store, in August, 1868. In 1883 he opened a store on Main street and built the Metropolitan Hotel and stores. In 1888 he built the Metropolitan Hotel in Utica, and since then has had branch stores in Albany, Troy, Syracuse, Watertown and all the principal cities of the State, having as high as eighteen stores running at a time. Mr. Mullen has also large interests in Jersey City, and New York. He is emphatically a self-made man, the architect of his own fortune and a man of great perception and executive abilities.
MUNSON, F.E., Herkimer, a member of the firm of E.C. & F.E. Munson, furniture manufacturers of Herkimer; E.C. being the father and F.E. the son. The elder Munson inaugurated this enterprise in 1860, as a lumber business, and they gradually extended and enlarged it until now they employ twenty hands and do a large business. Mr. E.C. Munson was formerly trustee of the village, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Both gentlemen are Democrats, and Mr. F.E. Munson is at present a member of the town board, and is a justice of the peace. His grandfather Eaton was a justice of the peace for twenty years, and his great-grandfather Eaton was in the war of 1812. His great-grandmother was a sister of General Herkimer. The family is one of the oldest and most highly respected in the town.
MURPHY, James A., Newport, was born in Fairfield, May 10, 1857. He is a son of Cornelius, who was a son of Cornelius and Margaret Murphy, natives of Ireland, who came to America in 1852. Cornelius, jr., was married in Fairfield, N. Y., to Mary Foran, a native of Ireland, by whom he had six children. Mr. Murphy purchased the Coe farm in Norway, and there resided twenty-six years. Mrs. Murphy died in 1865, and Mr. Murphy';s second wife, Mary Butler, died in 1890. He is a Democrat, has been highway commissioner and inspector of elections. He now resides with his son, James A. The latter was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He is a farmer by occupation. In 1884 he married Mary Maxwell, a native of Newport, who was born September 25, 1867, a daughter of James and Mary Maxwell, natives of Ireland, who came to America about 1862. Mr. Murphy is a Democrat and has held the offices of commissioner of highways and inspector or elections. He and wife are Catholics.
MURRAY Brothers, Little Falls. The firm of Murray Bros. consist of P. W. and James J. Murray, native of Salisbury, Herkimer county. They established business in Little Falls in 1887, conducting a reputable liquor business. P. W. Murray was born December 18, 1861. He received a liberal education in Fairfield Seminary, to which village his father's family had removed from Salisbury in 1868, after which he taught school eight terms and clerked in a grocery store for five years. His brother, James J. Murray, was born July 8, 1885. He is equal owner in the establishment with P. W. They are both identified with local institutions, such and Erina Fire Company, etc.
MYERS, F. H., Herkimer, is a native of Herkimer and has lived all his life on the old homestead, which he now owns. It consists of nearly 200 acres and a dairy of thirty-five cows, while he raises yearly about eighty tons of hay. His father was George H. Myers, who was also a native of this town. His great-grandfather took part in the Revolution as patriot. In January, 1982, Mr. Myers married Miss Maude Arnold daughter of the late D. B. Arnold of Fairfield, N. Y. He is a Republican in politics and a member of the Grange and Odd Fellows.
MYERS, J. H., German Flats, was born in German Flats April 16, 1831, and has been a farmer all his life, though he has also been engaged in other pursuits. He was in the brick business with T.E. Coe for some time, and for seven or eight years was a cheese seller. He has a dairy of about forty cows. In 1865 Mr. Myers married Anna E. Shull, and they have a son, John H. Myers, jr., and a daughter, Florence A. Mr. Myer's father was John H. and his grandfather Henry J., a native of Herkimer. His mother was Maria Bellinger.