Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
SADLER, John B., Ingham's Mills, was born January 15, 1847. He received a liberal education and has been identified with the business interests of Ingham's Mills since his youth. He has conducted the grist-mill, hotel, cheese box manufactory for many years. He is justice of the peace and has been overseer of the poor, and has held the office of postmaster under several administrations. He is also identified with Little Falls Masonic Lodge, No. 181, Little Falls Chapter, No. 161, and Little Falls Commander, No. 26, also member Independent Order of Red Men, Ziyara Temple Noble Mystic Shrine, Odd Fellows, etc. His first wife was a Miss Horton, by whom he had two children, one now living. He married Frankie C. Staring. Mr. Sadler is a descendant of an old Revolutionary family.
SALISBURY, John E., Litchfield, was born in Wales, October 20, 1855, and settled in Frankfort. He came to this town about 1870, and in 1883 settled on the Marshall farm of 123 acres. He commenced the manufacturing of lime here in 1886. The limestone is quarried on the farm, and the kiln now in use he built that year. He also carries on farming. He married Mary E., daughter of Henry Goodier, who was a son of Rev. Aaron Goodier. Mr. and Mrs. Salisbury have four children: Ethel M., Harry G., Elma M. and Grace E. John E. is a son of Robert and Mary Salisbury. The latter died January 1, 1892, aged sixty-nine years.
SAXBY, William, German Flats, was born in Cheshire, England, December 27, 1843, and came to America in 1870. After working some time with Smith & Wesson, he came to Ilion in 1874 and entered the armory, where he remained till 1886, when he went into the liquor business in 1888, which he now devotes his entire attention to. In 1862 Mr. Saxby married Elizabeth Turner, and they have had two children. One son, Henry T. Saxby has charge of the repairing department of the typewriter in London, England, for Wycoff, Seamans & Benedict. He married Anna E. Brooker, of Worthing, England. From 1886 to 1888 William was in Schenectady, had charge of electric light plant for lighting city ten months. Afterwards worked for the Edison company. Returned to Ilion in fall of 1888 and bought a saloon.
SCHALL, Danial, Starkville, was born in Danube, April 16, 1814, a son of Wilhelmas and Eve, ( Kneaskarn) Schall. The Grandfather of Danial came from Germany prior to the Revolution, and settled at what is now Mindonville, Montgomery county. He was killed in the Revolutionart War and left one son and three daughters. Subject's fathwer was born in Manheim, June 18, 1769, and died September 29, 1826 He was a farmer and tailor by trade. His first wife was born in Minden, June 18, 1775. Her father was killed in the Revolution. She had fifteen children, thirteen of whom survived. Leah, Nancy, Catherine, John, Peter, William, Jacob, David. Henry, Eve, Danial. Jonas and Moriah. Danial had a common school education , and he earned his own living since his fathers death. At fifteen he began tailors trade. In 1834, he with his brother, established business at Starkville. About 1882 he retired from business. In 1851 was elected to the Legislature as a Free Soil Democrat. he was one of the original Republicans and served as supervisor; also held the office of postmaster from May 6, 1862 to July 17,1877; during the war was one of the active workers in seeing that his town furnished her quota of men for the army. He was twice married, first to Cornelia, daughter of William and Polly (Davis) Gibson. His wife died June 11, 1883. His second wife was Cora W., daughter of Richard and Lucinda (Smith) Wilson. They had one child, Dan W., biorn May 31, 1887. died January 9, 1889. Mr. Schall is a Universalist and his wife a Methodist. She was born at Herkimer.
SCHOOLEY, Andrew, Litchfield, is a machinist, carpenter, joiner and millwright. He was born in this town May 27, 1814, a son of James Schooley, a native of Pittstown, Rensselaer county, who settled in this town in 1804, and died December 8, 1863, aged seventy-four years. Andrew Schooley read law with Charles O'Conner of New York city in 1848. He married Emma Winegar, and they have three children: Warren H., Stella I., and James A. They have lost one son, Charles C. Stella I. married Dayton D. Prescott of Norwich Corner, and they have four children: Fanny F., Walter D., Arthur A. and Eva Estella. Mrs. Emma Schooley is a daughter of Isaac Winegar of this town, but he died in Genesee county, N. Y., he left eight children. James Schooley married Amy Young, they had six children: Andrew, Mary, Caroline, James L., Edward B., and Catherine Schooley, the last is dead, the others are living. Amy Young came from Rhode Island, town of Scituate.
SCRIBER, G. H., German Flats, was born in Oswego county August 8, 1837, and has been in the clothing business all his life. His father was George Scriber, and his grandfather was one of the old Mohawk Dutch. His mother was also of the same origin. Mr. Scriber is a Mason, a member of the Royal Arcanum, the A. O. U. W. and the Baptist church. He has been treasurer of the village and school trustee. In 1888 he married Miss Margaret Hotaling of this place.
SEAMAN, George I., Frankfort, was born in the town of Parish, Oswego county, January 24, 1850; he was one of eleven children of George and Mary A. (Crosby) Seaman. George, the father, was born in Vermont. Mary A. (Crosby), the mother, was born in Herkimer county, her ancestry being of Connecticut. George I. Seaman was married June 15, 1882, to Ella V. Waterbury, one of three children of W. S. and Abigail M. (Hager) Waterbury of Frankfort. They have two children, Frank and Hazel Seaman. Mr. Seaman came to Frankfort in 1869 and worked for C. B. Crosby, afterwards to W. S. Waterbury four years, when he bought the grocery and meat market from him; he also deals in cattle, hay and beef and continues the other business to this day. Mr. Seaman has served the town as supervisor four terms from 1882-85 and in 1891; he has been collector of taxes and also on the board of trustees.
SEAMENS, A. C., German Flats, was born in Winfield, February 8, 1822. After leaving the farm he was four years in a foundry and then came to Ilion. He was engaged in the canal warehouse and mercantile business for many years and subsequently was in the office of E. Remington & Sons. In 1852 he married Caroline M. Williams and has four children, Clarence W., Mary C., Frances M. and I. C. The sons are prominent associates with the typewriter company.
SEAVEY, Jerome L., Russia, was born in Russia, February 5, 1840, and is a son of Elijah and Ann (Sperry) Seavey. She was a daughter of Stephen and Fannie Sperry, residents of this town. Elijah and his mother settled in Russia, 1818. He is a carpenter and bridge builder by occupation. His children are: George K., a dentist, of Boonville, Oneida County, N.Y., and Jerome L., a dentist, of Poland. Jerome L., at twenty years of age, entered Smart Academy at Russia, and then studied with his brother at Boonville. In 1877 he commenced practice at Poland. He married Sarah L., a daughter of Richard and Matilda Millington. He has three children, Charles J., May, wife of Edgar Cruikshank, and Edwin M. He is a Republican, as is also his father, Elijah, who has been very active in politics, having been the first postmaster at Gravesville, also at Russia for thirteen years, town clerk for two years, justice of the peace eight years, highway commissioner seventeen years, twelve of which were consecutive, also excise commissioner twelve years.
SECKNER, Francis A., Winfield, has a hop, dairy, fruit and grain farm of about 240 acres; also a store in Chepachet, where he has been postmaster for about ten years. He was born in Columbia, March 4, 1848, a son of Jacob Seckner, jr., a native of Herkimer county, and he is a son of Jacob Seckner, born in Jacksonburg, September 13, 1780, died February 2, 1878, who was one of the earliest settlers of the town of Columbia. His wife was Elizabeth Crouch, born in Herkimer, July 7, 1792, died January 16, 1869. The father of Jacob, sr., was Conrad Seckner, of Germany. The great aunt of Jacob Seckner, Jr., whose name was Harter, was scalped by the Indians during the Revolutionary War and left for dead, but she recovered and lived many years after to relate her terrible experience. Chauncey, brother of Jacob, jr., has in his possession a spade used in Revolutionary days in building the fort at Herkimer. Jacob, jr., was born March 29, 1814, and died December 21, 1876. He married March 29, 1837, Mandana, daughter of Phineas Whitney, of German Flats, who died September 2, 1847, and his wife, Deborah Palmer, died March 24, 1858. Jacob Seckner, jr., had seven children: Irvin W., died June 8 1859; Phineas G., died March 21, 1876; Euphema, who married George H. Edick; Fanny, who married Newbern R. Myers; Almina, who married James S. Ginby; Alfred E., who married Laura Shaul, and Francis Seckner, who married Helen F. Tyson, November 7, 1870, and they have four children: Fanny L., Leon E., Helen F. and Bessie M., all living at home with their parents. Francis Seckner settled on the farm where he now lives in 1871. It is partly in Winfield and partly in Richfield, Otsego county.
SEEBER, Peter B. L, Little Falls, is not only one of the leading farmers of Little Falls, but comes from one of the most historic families in this part of the State. He was born in Herkimer in 1825, and has been a farmer all of his life. He married Emily Ackerman, and they have six children living. His son Henry is living with him and now owns the dairy farm of 103 acres. He is a promising young agriculturist. Both are Democrats. They have lived on their present farm for five years. They formerly lived in Danube, where Peter B. was overseer of the poor for some time, and Henry Seeber was town clerk for three years. The family have been in this part of the county for over one hundred years. Some of the ancestors of the family were prominent in the Revolutionary war.
SENIOR, Frank, Little Falls, is a native of that village. He was born in the year 1862. His father was of English descent and was a co-partner of Titus Sheard in the house of Senior & Sheard, manufacturers. Frank Senior was educated in the schools of this village and in 1876 commenced working for Mr. Sheard at three shillings per day. He worthily upheld the reputation of his house and after successively passing through all departments, was through merit admitted to a partnership in the Titus Sheard company, when but twenty-one years of age, of which he is now treasurer. Mr. Senior
SHALL, George W., Little Falls, was born in Danube, Herkimer county. He received his education in the schools of this vicinity, and worked upon his father's farm until twenty-four years of age. Then, after working at the carpenter's trade for two years, he started a restaurant in Little Falls in 1875, and in 1877 went into the Hotel Rockton, which he purchased and ran for eight years, and which property he still owns. While in the hotel Mr. Shall inaugurated a mercantile establishment here, devoted to sale of wagons, agricultural implements, hay, etc., at No. 536 Albany street. This proving a success he eventually rented the hotel property and devoted his time to the management of this enterprise. Mr. Shall's family are of Revolutionary antecedents and were also in the War of 1812. He married Mary C. Fox, and has one son. Mr. Shall has been a trustee of the village (1880-1881), is an Odd Fellow, Elk, K. of P., etc. In politics he is a Democrat.
SHANT, W.H., Little Falls, Herkimer County, was a native of the town of Danube. His father, Winslow Shant, was a farmer, and he remained on the farm for sixteen years. Thirteen years ago he embarked in business with his brother, B.J. Shant; they were together four years and six months and then B.J. sold out to C.W. Vosburgh; but five years ago the partnership was dissolved and each has since continued business alone, in the grocery, meat and fish line. In 1878 he married Sarah E. Bailey and they attend the Universalist Church. Between the time of leaving the farm and going into business he learned telegraphy and cheese making and was occupied two years in the former and five years in the latter line.
SHARER, John P., Little Falls, physician and surgeon, a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city.
SHAUT, Moses, Stark, was born in Stark, August 1, 1825, a son of Jacob and Mary (Fort) Shaut. His grandfather came from Germany and settled in Springfield, Otsego county, where his father was born. They moved to Stark and thence to Steuben county, where he died about 1850, aged about eighty-eight. Jacob had fourteen children and raised twelve: Jacob, Isaac, Joseph, Peter, Catharine, Betsey, Mary, Laney, Peggy, Nancy, Abram and Moses. Subject was raised on a farm, and has always lived in Stark. At seventeen he learned the carpenter's trade, and followed it seventeen years. He then bought ninety acres, and engaged in farming, making hops a specialty. In 1862 he located where he now lives, on 160 acres about four miles northwest of Starkville. He is an active Republican. He has been married twice, first in January, 1853 to Louisa, daughter of William and Catharine Waltz by whom he had four children: Ada, who died aged two; William, Minnie, wife of Charles Weeks, and Frank. He married second, Martha, daughter of Abram and Catharine Wagner.
SHEPARD, F. C., German Flats, is a native of Otsego county, and was born September 21, 1824. After clerking and being engaged in mercantile business for some years he came to Ilion as teller of the old Ilion Bank and was subsequently made cashier in 1859, which position he held until 1866. He was county treasurer one term, from 1863 to 1866. He was with the Remingtons as a financial manager for twenty years and for the past four years has been living retired. Mr. Shepard married in 1847 and has seven children living.
SHOLES, Nelson W. Winfield, was born in Jefferson county, May 22, 1822, a son of Roderick Sholes, who was born in Connecticut, where he lived until about four years of age, when he came, about 1802, with his mother and one brother and one sister, to Plainfield, Otsego county, and settled there. He married, about 1820 Zama Cole, a native of Otsego county, by whom he had four sons and two daughters, of whom four survive: Nelson W., Newton, Elijah C., and Julia. Two died, Mary and Roderick. Nelson W. Sholes came to Winfield, December 1, 1858, and married, February 2, 1860, Mrs. Almira M. Bardin, daughter of Ebenezer Morgan. She has one son, Parke M. Bardin. Nelson W. Sholes is a farmer and has been justice here about sixteen years. He was treasurer of the Odd Fellows' lodge at the time it was discontinued in West Winfield. He was elected one of the board of trustees of the West Winfield Academy March, 1874, and held that position until the school was graded. He was treasurer of the academy for a number of years, and also of the graded school. He was a member of the Board of Education for two terms, and now is one of the trustees of the West Winfield Cemetery Association, also its treasurer. Parke M. Bardin was the first station agent of the D. L. & W. R. R. at West Winfield.
SIBEL, George F., blacksmith at Cedarville, was born in Mohawk in 1848, and settled here in 1871, where he has been in business since. He married Carrie Sharrock, and they have three children: Maude A., George L., and Charlie E., all living at home. George F. is a son of Charles Sibel, a native of Germany. He settled in Mohawk about 1847. Mrs. Carrie Sibel is a daughter of Robert Sharrock, who was a native of England, and settled in Cooperstown. Charles Sibel married Katie Countryman, a native of Minden, Montgomery county. She was a daughter of George Countryman, a descendant of one of the first settlers of that county.
SILLIMAN, George, Norway, was born February 8, 1826. His father was Daniel Silliman, a son of Justice Silliman, who lived and died in Connecticut. The wife of Justice Silliman was Ruth Jennings, who bore him ten children. Daniel Silliman was born in Connecticut, in 1795. His wife was Catherine Sherwood of Connecticut, born 1798. They had eight children. In 1822 Mr. Silliman came to Salisbury. He died in 1844 and his wife in 1891. George Silliman was educated in the common schools and in Fairfield Seminary. In 1852 he married Sarah E. Wood of Stratford, born July 18, 1832, a daughter of Daniel and Huldah (Jennings) Wood, early settlers of Stratford. They had six children. Mr. Wood died in 1881 and his wife in 1865. The children of subject and wife are: Charles D., Alice A., Edward G., Mary C., Dwight A., and Hiram D. When a young man, Mr. Silliman resided three years in Wisconsin. He afterwards resided thirteen years in Stratford. In 1864 he went to Norway and has lived there since, on a farm of 227 acres. Mr. Silliman is a prohibitionist and he and his wife are Baptists.
SILLIMAN, Gould, resides in Russia. He is a farmer but for many years was a contractor and builder of Ilion, and erected buildings in different parts of the county. He was born in Frankfort, April 26, 1834. He went to Winfield about 1850, where he learned the trade. In about 1864 he moved to Ilion, where he followed the same business, and from there went to Russia in 1881, where he now lives. He married Milla A. Hall, by whom he has four children; Frona, Horace G., Edith M., Daniel B. Gould Silliman is a son of Daniel Gould Silliman, born in Danbury, Conn., who settled in Frankfort about 1830, where he died August 9, 1849, aged fifty-nine years. Mrs. Milla A. Silliman was born in Watertown, Jefferson county, October 22, 1838, a daughter of Shubal Hull, who died aged thirty-four years. Daniel Gould Silliman, was born in Danbury, Conn., and came here with his father, Benjamin Silliman. The latter married Anna Gould, of Connecticut and moved to Delaware county, N. Y. Daniel Gould Silliman married Mrs. Polly Brockway daughter of Luther Cloyce, a native of Connecticut, who early settled in Frankfort.
SIMMS, Edward. Little Falls, farmer, was born in the town of Danube in 1833 and has been thirteen years in this town, at which date he purchased his fine farm. He owns 125 acres of land, which he utilizes for dairy purposes. He has a herd of forty cows. Mr. Simms is one of the best known agriculturists in the county and has held some important offices. He was clerk of the county from 1874 to 1880, and has twice been under sheriff of the county. He was also a justice of the peace for many years. In his earlier years he studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1855, at which date he cast his first vote. He is a Republican. In 1858 he married Emeline Churchill, and has a family of two sons and one daughter.
SKINNER, John W., is a farmer in Columbia, and a son of Gersham Skinner, also born here. He was a son of John Skinner, of this town, and his father was Gersham, a soldier of the Revolution. He was attacked by the Indians, receiving a number of wounds. He hid under the flume and was there while the Indians burned the mill. John W. married Sarah J. Skinner, who died in February, 1872. He married second Mary T. Casler, and they had three children: Leon C., Jacob W. and Ora B. Gersham Skinner married Jane E. Dygert, and they had six children: Mary E., Carmi M., Cornelia C., John W., Lucien F. and Lucius F. Mary T. Skinner is a daughter of Jacob F. Casler, born in Little Falls, and is still living in this town. He was a son of Frederick Casler, a native of this county, born the second year of the Revolution, in a house that was afterward a fort.
SMALL, Fred I., Little Falls, is a native of Herkimer. He graduated at Yale, in 1867, and in 1869 took his degree in Columbia College Law School. He was admitted to the bar at the General Term in February, 1869, and commenced practice in New York city. In the summer of 1871 he came to Little Falls, where he is now practcing his profession.
SMITH, Alexander, Stark, One of the represenative citizens of Stark, was born May 22, 1923, where he now resides, a son of Martin and Elizabeth (Nickolson) Smith. The Grandfather, Andrew, was a son of Johanah Smith, who was a native of Germany and came to this country during the French and Indian War as a soldier. After the war, he settled in Albany county prior to the Revolution, and came to this county about 1788 , where he built the first farmhouse in Starkville (where subject now resides) He married Margaret Basinger, by whom he had these children; Elizabeth, Catherine, Dolly, Mariah, Frederick, Susan, Chrtina, Abram, John and Andrew. Johanah Smith and his wife were Lutherans. Andrew Smith, the Grandfather, was born July 2, 1762, in Heidleberg, Albany county, and in 1798 brought out the other heirs, and held the homestead, where he died in October 1848. His wife was Madelina Betsinger. She had a sister who was captured by the indians in 1781 and carried to Canada where she married an Indian chief, and afterward when asked to return home preferred to remain with her adopted people. Andrew and his wife had four children: Della, Lana, Margaret and Martin. The later was born March 5, 1791, where his son now resides, and died here September 25, 1859. His wife was born February 2, 1798 and died August 11, 1864, and they had eight children: Lucinda, Julia A., Alexander, Almeda, Adaline, Almira, Martha and Rozeltha. Alexander received a district school education and owns the old homestead where he has always resided. He served as supervisor for three terms, besides other town offices. In 1870 he was elected sheriff on the Republican ticket In 1814 he voted for Polk; in 1846 he became a Free Soiler, and in 1856 was a Republican. July 9, 1877 he was appointed postmaster at Starkville, where he remained at the same position for many years. He is a leader in town affairs. January 1. 1850, he married Martha, daughter of Alexander and Jane (Mount) Hall. He had been a leading Mason since 1857 and belongs to Utica Commandery No. 3 He was one of the organizers of Starkville cheese factory.
SMITH, Bartlett, J., Winfield, one of the representative farmers of Winfield, where he was born April 1, 1827, and settled on the farm where he now lives April 1, 1851. He is a son of Samuel, who was born April 19, 1800, in this town and died October, 1880. He was a son of Deacon Larkin Smith, who came from Barre, Mass., and settled in Winfield in 1794. Subject's mother was Mary Ann, daughter of Jonathan Bartlett. She was born March 18, 1805, and is now living in West Winfield. J. Bartlett Smith married Cornelia, daughter of Samuel McKee, of Winfield, September 18, 1850, and they have three children: Samuel McKee, Ada C., and Flora A. Crossette.
SMITH, Charles A., Little Falls, was born in Schoharie January 14, 1857. After receiving a good education he worked on a farm for eleven years, then entered the grocery business at Fort Plain. After five years there he moved to Little Falls and went into the bakery and confectionery line. After four years he disposed of this business to engage in the bottling, and later in the Carpet Beating Works at Lockport, N. Y. After two years he again bought out the bakery business and has since successfully conducted it. Mr. Smith married Edith A. Devendorf of Fort Plain.
SMITH, Dr. Fred A., Herkimer, was born in Frankfort, August 15, 1870. He was educated at the Union schools of Ilion and Waterville, and also took a course at the Newark Business college. He eventually graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, dental department, in 1891. Dr. Smith was associated with his uncle, Dr. Cutler Smith, of Ilion, for a short time, after which he went West, settling in Des Moines. Upon the death of Dr. Barnes he returned to Herkimer and purchased the practice and office from the widow. Dr. Smith's father is in the service of the dairy commission for New York State. One of the ancestors of the family participated in the Revolutionary war, also the war of 1812. In the latter war his great-grandfather was a captain.
SMITH, Frederick, Norway, was born in Norway January 9, 1826. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common and select schools. He clerked in Norway about six years and then followed farming. In 1871 he went to Herkimer and was deputy county clerk for five years. November 20, 1851, he married Maria E. Service of Norway, born September 5, 1830, who bore him five children: Ida E., Zena B., Arthur I., Ruth and Phebe D., all of whom are living. In politics Mr. Smith was an Abolitionist, a Republican, and is now a Prohibitionist. He has been overseer of the poor, justice of the peace, town clerk, and supervisor of Norway. He was census enumerator of Norway in 1865 and Salisbury and Norway in 1870. He published the Norway Tidings for four years, beginning January 1, 1887. He has been correspondent of the county press and Utica papers for over thirty years. He and his wife are Methodists. Mrs. Smith is a daughter of Jacob and Eliza Service. The parents of Jacob Service were Wm. W. and Asenath Winegar, who settled in Norway in 1880. The father of Fred Smith was Johnson Smith, a son of Jared Smith, jr., whose father was Jared Smith. Jared Smith, sen., was born in Huntington, Conn., July 25, 1741. August 20, 1761, he married Dorcas Beecher. She was born in Huntington June 15, 1744. She was a great-aunt of Henry Ward Beecher. The children of Mr. Smith and wife were four sons and one daughter. Dorcas Smith died August 20, 1779, and May 5, 1783, Mr. Smith married Mary Johnson of South Britain, Conn. Mr. Smith died March 13, 1813, in Salisbury, Conn. His second wife died July 17, 1815. Jared Smith, jr., was born at Southbury April 11, 1766. January 14, 1787, he married Dorcas Johnson of the same town. In 1797 Mr. Smith and family came to Norway The family of Mr. Smith and wife consisted of one son and five daughters. In politics he was a Whig. In 1816 he was appointed justice of the peace and held the office eight years. He was lieutenant and afterwards captain of a military company. He died in Norway March 26, 1845. His wife died May 16, 1851. Johnson Smith was born in Norway October 30, 1798. January 13, 1825, he married Sarah Salisbury, born in Fairfield September 6, 1798. They had six children. In politics he was a Whit, Know Nothing, and afterwards a Republican. He held minor town offices. He was a member of the M. E. Church. His wife died in 1844 and Mr. Smith married Harriet Hine of Norway, a daughter of Russell and Allie Hine. His second wife died in 1892. Mr. Smith died in Norway March 30, 1869. He was a kind parent and good citizen.
SMITH, George A., Frankfort, one of five children of Alonzo and Samantha (Cutler) Smith, was born in Otsego county September 29, 1842. Alonzo, the father, was a son of Daniel Smith of Connecticut, who was a soldier of the War of 1812. Samantha Cutler, the mother, was a daughter of David Cutler, who was a noted Baptist minister of Vermont, who in 1827 emigrated to New Berlin, Chenango county. He afterwards settled in Plainfield, Otsego county, where he died at the age of eighty-seven. George A. Smith was married January 2, 1868, to Lucinda Holmes of Unadilla Forks, one of nine children of Asa and Eliza (Rood) Holmes. They have two children, Fred and Jesse Smith. In 1862 Mr. Smith began cheese-making with his uncle, C. W. Smith of Exeter. They founded one of the first cheese factories in Otsego county. They came to Frankfort in 1867 and bought the old cheese factory and built a large cheese business. In 1872 he sold out his interest to his uncle, James Smith, and bought a factory in North Winfield which he sold in 1875, and bought another in Cassville, Oneida county, and ran it until 1888, at which time (1888) he was owner and lessee of four factories. In that year he again took up his residence in Frankfort, and was appointed on the New York State Dairy Commission, he being chief dairy expert for the commission; having charge of the instruction work in butter and cheese-making. One important object of the commission being to elevate the standard of butter and cheese-making in the State. Mr. Smith attends the Farmers' Institute throughout the State, giving practical instruction to many hundred men interested in this important industy.
SMITH, George L., Little Falls, the subject of this sketch, is a son of the head of the firm of Smith & Bushnell. He is a native of Little Falls and was born in 1864. At the age of nineteen he entered the mill with his father, and in 1887 they built their own fine stone mill, in which they manufacture shoddy and wool extracts. Mr. George L. Smith is manager of the mill, while his father looks after the outside business. He is popular in society and is a member of several organizations of this town.
SMITH, Hon. George W., Herkimer, is a native of Salisbury, and was educated at Fairfield Seminary, N. Y. He studied law with Capron & Lake and the late Judge Graves of Herkimer; he was editor of the Herkimer Journal in 1845, and was admitted to the bar in 1848. In that year he became editor and publisher of the Northern State Journal of Watertown, N. Y. In 1851 he removed to Boonville, Oneida county. In 1859 he was elected county judge of Oneida county and re-elected in 1863. From 1886 he was for several years leading editor of the Utica Daily Observer and also contributed largely to the columns of the Democratic press of Central New York. On January 1, 1870, he came to Herkimer and entered into a law copartnership with the late Samuel Earl under the firm name of Earl & Smith, succeeding Hon. Robert Earl, then taking his seat in the Court of Appeals. In 1876 he was elected supervisor of the town of Herkimer and the same year was put in nomination for Congress for the Jefferson, Lewis and Herkimer districts, but was defeated. In 1882 he was elected to the Assembly and was chairman of the canal committee. In 1886 he was again a candidate for congressman in the 24th district and was again defeated. He was delegate in 1880 to the Cincinnati Convention and gave the first vote in the New York delegation for General Hancock's nomination. Judge Smith married Miss Sarah B. Hadley, a daughter of the late Dr. Hiram Hadley of Salisbury, and they have three children surviving. He is now engaged in the practice of the law at Herkimer.
SMITH, Gersham, Stark, son of Peter G. and Catherine (Kinter) Smith, came from New Jersey as a blacksmith and settled on 260 acres in Stark. He married Margaret (Reese), by whom he had these children: Samuel, John, Dan, William, Peter, Ann, Rachael and Margaret. Subject's father was born in Stark, and died at Richfield Springs about 1880. He was twice married, his first wife bore him five children: Elija, Margaret, Viola, John and Gersham. The latter was born where he now lives, June 20, 1854, and married in February, 1875, Ella Shaul, a daughter of Richard and Mary (Fetterly) Shaul, and they have three children: Arthur G., Olin R., and Mabel E. Mr. Smith has served as supervisor two terms, is a Republican and a Mason.
SMITH, John H., Little Falls, was born in England, coming to this country when but four years old, with his parents. They located at Sandy Hill, Washington county. Here John secured his educational advantages and learned the paper-making trade. In 1852 he went to California where he was signally successful returning in 1860 to Little Falls and establishing a shoddy mill. In 1864 he commenced the manufacture of knit stockings; in 1864 he moved his plant to Watertown; in 1868 he sold the Watertown mill and returned to Little Falls, and 1887 built his present splendid plant on Moss island, which site he purchased. He employs fifty-five hands in the manufacturing wool extracts and shoddy and has two sons both assisting him in the management of the enterprise. He married a daughter of Col. Leonard Boyer of Little Falls and has four children living.
SMITH, Larkin D., Winfield, was born January 3, 1825, in Winfield, on the old homestead, and is a son of Samuel Smith, who was born on the same farm February 17, 1800, and died October 14, 1881. He was a son of Larkin Smith, who came to Winfield in 1794, and settled on the old homestead, now owned by one of his grandsons. He was born in Barre, Mass., October 13, 1770, and died April 19, 1842. Larkin D. Smith, enlisted in the War of the Rebellion September 5, 1862, in Company E., One Hundred Fifty-Second New York Volunteer Infantry, and served until his discharge for disability, September 12, 1864. He married Mrs. Maria R. Burdick, June 13, 1879. She was a daughter of Warren Williams, of Augusta, Oneida county. Mr. Smith bought the mills at Chepachet in 1865, rebuilt them and run them about eighteen years. He then removed to the farm where he now lives, known as the Kellogg farm.
SMITH, R. H., Schuyler, supervisor of Schuyler, is a native of this town, born April 6, 1850. In 1874 he married Lida Faulkner. He was elected supervisor of the town in February, 1892. He had always been an active Republican and a delegate to conventions, and has been assessor of the town. His father, Patrick M. Smith, was also a native of Schuyler. The great-grandfather came from Chatham in 1765.
SMITH, Wm., Herkimer, was born in Herkimer on the 9th day of September, 1814. He was educated in the schools of Utica and Fairfield and Union College, Schenectady, studied law with Gen. Gray of Herkimer, and was admitted to the bar in 1840. Mr. Smith soon gave up the active practice of his profession, his large mercantile and real estate interests requiring his undivided attention. In 1868 he was the prime factor in the establishment of Herkimer Bank, of which he is president. This bank, one of the leading fiduciary institutions of New York State, owes much of its success to his financiering. Mr. Smith is of Mohawk Dutch descent. He has in his possession the last will and testament of his ancestor, John Geo. Smith, which was drawn in 1730 in Albany. Four generations have since passed away, viz., Martin Smith, a son of John George Smith, John M., a son of Martin, and John Smith, the son of John M. Smith, and father of William Smith. Wm. Smith has held such local offices as trustee, school commissioner, supervisor, president of the village, etc., and has spent nearly all of his life upon the old homestead which descended to him from his ancestors.
SNELL, Joseph L. Ohio, was born in Rensselaer county, near Troy, in 1827. His father was Robert Snell jr., a native of Massachusetts, who came when a young man to Rensselaer county, and there married Maria Mykell, a native of Troy, and had five children. Mr. Snell was a millwright by trade. In 1843 he settled on the farm now occupied by the subject of this sketch, and there lived and died. He was a Democrat and a Mason, and was commissioner of highway three years. His death occurred September 8, 1872, and that of his wife February 20, 1867. Robert Snell, grandfather of the subject was in the war of 1812, and his great-grandfather was in the Revolutionary war. Joseph L. Snell was reared and educated in the city of Troy. At the age of sixteen he came to Ohio. October 14, 1849, he married Lana A. DeLong of Washington county, who bore him three children: Mary E., Harriet M., and Ruth A. March 30, 1858, Mrs. Snell died, and he married Violette Pooler of Russia, and had by her one child, Ella. E. Mr. Snell is a farmer, and also works at the carpenter trade. He is a Democrat and has been highway commissioner one term.
SNELL, Nathan A., Dolgeville, was born at Ingham's Mills, February 3, 1854. He early in life went to live with James P. Brockett, of Brockett's Bridge, in fact was brought up by Mr. Brockett until his eighteenth year, when he started in the cheese business, in which he continued eight years. At the expiration of this period he entered the employ of Alfred Dolge, with whom he yet continues. Mr. Snell first worked at the bench, making sounding boards for six years. Then he entered the felt department of the hammer shop (piano hammers). Mr. Snell has been noble grand master of Odd Fellows here for past two terms, director and secretary of the Dolgeville Electric Light and Power company, a member of the Building and Loan Association, etc. His wife was Miss Jessie Tanner, of Centerville, N. Y. They have one child, a boy. Mr. Snell's father died when he was but two years of age. His mother, who is living, was a daughter of Judge Nathan Brown, of Oppenheim, Fulton county, N. Y.
SNIDER, John R., Stark was born June 12, 1854, in Stark, a son of Moses and Anna Maria (Kinter) Snider. He was raised on a farm, received a district school education and academic, and at twenty-one began life for himself on the farm, working by the month. In the spring of 1879 he bought and located on 160 acres where he now lives. He also owns a store and residence. He is a Democrat in politics, and has lived in Stark all his life. He married, February 12, 1878, Rosa E. Shaul, born in Columbia, a daughter of David and Amanda (Bronner) Shaul of Stark. They have one child, Maud.
SNYDER, Albert E., Norway, was born in Norway, June 8, 1858. He is a son of George Snyder, whose father was an early settler of Boonville, where he spent his life as a farmer. George Snyder was one of a family of three sons and two daughters. He was born in Boonville in 1824, and followed the occupation of farming. His wife was Lydia Case, of Norway, who bore him five sons and two daughters. Mrs. Snyder was a daughter of Stephen Case, a native of Massachusetts, and an early settler of Norway, where he died. He was in the war of 1812. Mr. Snyder came to Norway at the age of seven years and there spent the remainder of his life. He was an active Republican and held the offices of deputy sheriff, collector, and constable. He and wife were Methodists. He died March 24, 1888, and his wife died April 13, 1877. Albert E. Snyder was educated in common and select schools and reared on a farm. April 20, 1883, he married Clarissa White, of Norway, born 1865, who bore him one child, Grace A. Mr. Snyder was formerly a farmer, but for the last five years has manufactured cheese. He is a Republican and attends and supports the M. E. church. He and wife are members of the Y. P. S. C. E. Mrs. Snyder's father was George White, a native of Germany, who at the age of six years came with his parents to America and settled in Deerfield. The wife of George White was Harriet Benjamin, of Norway. Mrs. White died in 1876, and Mr. White now resides in Deerfield.
SNYDER, H. P., Little Falls, superintendent of the Saxony Knitting Mills, is a native of Amsterdam, but has been in Little Falls for the past seven years. He has been in the knitting business ever since he was nine years old, except a year and a half at school at Catskill. He has been superintendent of the Saxony Mills for five years and is a thorough expert in his business. His family is an old and honest one in New York State and he a worthy representative of the name. He is a prominent member of the Elks, Redmen, and Royal Arcanum. In politics he is a Republican; is a member of the A. O. U. W.; also a member of the firm of Snyder & Fisher, manufacturers and patentees of quarter savers and stop motions for circular rib machines, also builders and patentees of circular rib machinery of the latest improved kind, with office and manufacturing works at Little Falls.
SNYDER, J. A., Middleville, was born in Somerset, Pa., September 4, 1855, moved to Illinois in the spring of 1864, and resided west until 1880, when he came to New York State and to Herkimer county in 1882, where he has resided ever since, with the exception o f two years spent in Albany and Montgomery counties. Mr. Snyder commenced working in the knitting-mill in Illinois at the age of thirteen, has followed the business ever since, and is now the superintendent of the Nelson Mill at this place. October 24, 1889, he married flora M. Casler of Little Falls, and they have one child, Moldred Eleanor, born October 15, 1891, at Middleville.
John, Salisbury, was born in Germany October 28, 1831. He
came to this country in 1858, and has been engaged in Salisbury Corners
in blacksmithing ever since. He married Rachel Grisnol, and they have
one daughter. Mr. Snyder owns a wagon shop, blacksmith shop, residence
and ten acres of land. He employs help in his business and is
SNYDER, Lewis, Ohio, was born in Germany August 10, 1827. His father was George L. Snyder, born October 10, 1799. The later was educated in Germany and was a police officer there for many years. He afterward became a civil engineer. He married Mary Stephens, and had five sons and three daughters. Mrs. Snyder died in 1857, and in 1861 George L. came to America and lived with his son Lewis. He then went to California where he resided with his daughter until his death in 1881. Lewis Snyder was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He was twenty-one years old when he came to America and settled in Ohio, where he has since lived with the exception of two years in Russia. He was a poor boy and has made his own property. He now own 503 acres of land and keeps a large dairy. In 1853 he married Mary A. Sickles a daughter of Philip and Magdeline Sickles, who came from Germany when their daughter was eight years old. To subject and wife one child was born, Olin L. He now resides near his father on a farm. His wife is Annie E., daughter of Patrick Wallace. They have three children: Bertha L., Charles O. and Perry L. He is now salesman for No. 35 State Brand Cheese-factory of Ohio, which position he has held many years. He is a member of the North Star Grange No. 686, and with his wife attends the M. E. Church of Ohio.
SNYDER, Moses, Stark, was born in Stark January 26, 1825, a son of Daniel and Catharine (Backus) Snyder. The grandfather, John, was a pioneer of Minden, Montgomery county, served in the War of the Revolution and was in the Battle of Oriskany. He died in Minden. His wife was Catharine Countryman, by whom he had five sons: Abram, Benjamin, Jacob, Daniel and John, and several daughters. Daniel Snyder was born in Minden and located near Starkville on 600 acres, which he cleared. He died in Stark before the war, aged eighty-three. He served in minor town offices as a Democrat. He had thirteen children: William, Daniel, Moses, Joseph, Catharine, Lana, Margaret, Susan, Lucinda, Elizabeth and Mary A.; two sons, John and Solomon, died in childhood. Moses received a common school education and at twenty-five years of age began for himself, working a farm on shares. He bought 100 acres of land, which he has improved with substantial buildings, and owns another farm of 120 acres. He is a Democrat and has served as assessor. He married January 1, 1850, Anna M., daughter of John and Anna M. (Warren) Kinter, of Stark. Her father served in the war of 1812, and her grandfather, Richard Kinter, was a pioneer of Stark, and served in the Revolution. He married first, Elizabeth Barringer, who bore him three children, and second, to Rachael Cooper who bore him nine children. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have had four children: Ellen E. died, aged four; John R., ______, wife of George W. Fikes, and Eugene.
SOMERS, William C., Ohio, was born in Germany, June 13, 1855. His grandfather was a blacksmith in Germany, where he lived and died. His father is George F., a native of Germany. He is also a blacksmith and a farmer. His wife was Rosanna Timber, by whom he had twelve children, eight of whom are living. In 1856 Mr. Somers came to Ohio, where he has since lived, except two years in Poland. Mrs. Somers died May 23, 1888. William C. Somers was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. At the age of twenty-one he engaged in lumbering and jobbing. In 1885 he leased the William Ash saw-mill and in 1890 purchased the same, and farm in connection. He manufactures about 500,000 feet of lumber yearly. He has been town clerk two terms and commissioner of highways one term, elected by the Republicans. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
SPALL, Jacob, Russia, was born in Germany, August 17, 1840, a son of George Spall, a native of Germany, born 1810. The wife of George was Mary Spall, by whom he had five children. He came to the United States in 1884 and settled in Trenton, Oneida county. Here he remained two years and then went to Russia and settled on the farm now owned by Jacob. Here he remained until his death in 1882. The first wife of George Spall died in 1867, and his second wife in 1887. He was sixteen years of age when he came with his parents to America. In 1867 he married Lana Smeary, by whom he had six children: John, George, Henry, Jacob, Fred and Willie, all of whom are living. Mr. Spall has two hundred acres of land and keeps a large dairy, In politics he is a Republican.
SPELLMAN, E. J., Fairfield, is a native of Newport. James, his father, came to that town from Ireland in 1854. They own a dairy farm of 323 acres in Newport, and E. J. Spellman is proprietor of the Spellman House in Middleville. He was educated at Whitestown Seminary and came to Middleville in May, 1889. His father resides with him, his mother having died in April, 1889. Mr. Spellman is an active Democrat, and always a delegate. He holds the office of trustee of the village.
SPENCER, D. D., Ilion, is a native of Illinois, and spent many years in the banking business in Chicago. About twelve years ago he went to Europe, and resided in different countries until recently, when he settled in Mohawk, and has started a large and flourishing stock farm. The house in which Mr. Spencer lives contains some rooms of much historic interest, for in them Washington passed some time over a century ago. The old house has been preserved as part of the new structure for this reason.
SPOHN, Frank, Herkimer, was born in the town of Columbia, and educated in the schools of this vicinity, after which for some time he clerked in Ilion. In 1888 he established his present grocery store in Herkimer, which has proved a decided success. He gives employment to three men and delivers good to all parts of this town. He married Miss Cora Johnson of Columbia, and has one child, a boy, Raymond Spohn. Mr. Spohn's ancestors three generations back settled in Herkimer town, in which vicinity the family has since lived, being identified with local issues and institutions in a marked degree.
SPOOR, James H., Stark, son of Gilbert and Nancy (Link) Spoor, natives of Danube, was born September 9, 1844 in Danube. He received a district school education. At twenty he left home and began life on his own account. Lived ten years in Little Falls; and for the pat seven years has lived on 218 acres of land in Stark, which he works on shares. He is a Republican, and married July 8, 1864, Elda Jones, born in Stark, daughter of Jacob and Betsey (Snell) Jones, natives of Danube and Stark; who are members of M. E. church. They are parents of three sons and two daughters, and of English origin. Jacob Jones was a son of William, a pioneer of Danube. James H. has seven children: Frank, who died at nineteen; Nettie, Fred, Ada M., Nellie, Ross, and Callie, who died at seven months. They are Universalists.
SPRINGER, Frank, Warren, was born January 26, 1844, in Stark, a son of David H. and Sally (Acker) Springer. The grandfather, Loadwick, was born in Rensselaer county, and was a pioneer of Stark. He was captain of militia and took an active interest in politics, being a Whig. His children were as follows: Nicholas, Jacob L., Martin L., David H., Polly, Betsey, Lana and Katie. David H. was born and always resided in Stark. His wife was Sally, daughter of William Acker of Stark, and they had four children: Loadwick, Franklin, George and Daniel. He is a Republican and an active and liberal supporter of the church. His son Frank received a district school education and at twenty-seven bought and located on 105 acres in Warren, where he now resides, owning at the present 240 acres. He has served as assessor and town auditor on the Republican ticket. December 15, 1869, he married Amelia Shaul, born in stark, a daughter of Richard and Mary (Fetterly) Shaul of Stark, who raised six children: Diantha, who died leaving one daughter; Amelia, George, who died aged twenty-one; Ella and Marcella. Mr. and Mrs. Springer have three children: Lena M., Victor G. and David R.
SPRINGER, Loadwick, Stark, was born in Stark September 17, 1842, a son of David H. and Sally W. Eckler Springer. The grandfather, Loadwick, was born in Rensselaer county, and of Holland parents. His father, Jacob, was taken prisoner by the Indians during the Revolution and was a prisoner seven years. Loadwick died in June, 1857, aged over eighty, a captain of militia and a Republican. His wife died in 1820. They had a large family: Betsey, Polly, Jacob, George, David, Martin, Nicholas, Philip and Daniel. David H. was born in Stark where he always lived. His wife survives him, and is of the Lutheran faith. They had four children: Loadwick, Franklin, George and Daniel all living. Loadwick was raised on a farm, received a district school education, and lived with his father until after the war. He enlisted in August, 1864, in the navy and served on the Texas Coast. He was discharged at Brooklyn in June, 1865. He lived with his father for a couple of years, where he and his brother Frank bought 104 acres in Warren. Later he came to Stark and bought eighty acres. He finally located where he now resides, on 187 acres, also owning another farm of 205 acres in Stark. He made his own way through life, has served in town offices and is a Republican. He married January 1, 1867, Diantha, daughter of Richard and Mary A. (Fetterly) Saul of Stark, who had six children: Rose, Eltha, Ella, Amelia, Sallie, and George, who died at twenty. Subject and wife have three children: Ella, wife of Frank Harris: Carrie and Myrtia. They are of the Universalist faith.
SPRINGER, Oliver H., was born where he now resides in Stark, September 16, 1840, a son of George and Christina (Eckles) Springer. The grandfather, Loadwick Springer, was born October 12, 1774, in Brunswick, N. Y., married Mariah Coons, and about 1803 located in Stark; reared six sons and four daughters. He died in his eighty-fifth year. His wife died in 1820. Loadwick was a son of Jacob, who came from Germany, and had eight children: Henry, Loadwick, Fanny, Jacob, George, Mary, Martin and Katie. Subject's grandfather was one of the pioneers of Stark, and had four sons and four daughters. George Springer was born in Stark, in February 1803. He located on 250 acres, where his son, O. H., now resides. He died in Starkville in 1882, and was twice married. His first wife bore him two children: Martha Vedder and Oliver H. She died in September, 1865, aged fifty-six. His second wife was Juliet Gross. George was a Whig and a Republican, and served as a supervisor nine terms. In 1861 he represented the company, and was very active in raising troops and money. Oliver H. was raised on a farm; was educated at a district school and the seminary. In 1863 he took charge of homestead in addition to his own farm. He is a breeder of Holstein cattle, and is a hop grower; served four terms as supervisor, and is active in politics. He is a leading Mason, and a member of the Utica Commandery. He married, October 22, 1861, Elizabeth, daughter of Aleck and Jane (Mount) Hall.
SQUIRE, A. M., Russia, born January 3, 1819 in Russia, a son of John D., who was a son of Stoddard D. Squire, native of Woodbury, Conn., born November 8, 1758, whose grandfather was Rev. Anthony Stoddard of New England. About 1792 Stoddard Squire settled in Russia, and married October 24, 1781, Theodosia French, by whom he had three sons and one daughter. He moved to Manchester, Vt., with his father and in 1792 came to Russia with his father and died in 1833. For many years he kept an inn. He died at the age of seventy and his wife at the age of eighty-five. John G. Squire was born in Manchester, Vt., 1785, and came with his parents to Russia. His wife was Robby Smith of Fairfield, and they had four sons and three daughters. Mr. Squire was drafted in the war of 1812. He was a Whig. He was assessor and school commissioner several years. He and his wife were Episcopalians. He died in 1873 and his wife in 1851. A. M. Squire was reared on a farm and learned the carpenter trade. For many years he was a mover of buildings. L He has also manufactured sleighs and kept a repair shop. For forty years he has been engaged in the manufacture of cider. January, 1853, he married Sarah M. Shaw, a native of Cold Brook, born September 9, 1828. Her parents were John and Perces (Hulett) Shaw, early settlers of the town, who had five sons and seven daughters. Mr. Shaw died in 1830 and wife died in 1829. Mr. Squire and wife have had three sons and one daughter. Mr. Squire is a Republican.
STACEY, Irving E., Little Falls, cheese broker, is a native of Little Falls and began business as a clerk in 1881 in the office of Landt & Mesick. After two years he was given a percentage in the business and at the end of four years became a partner. In 1889 the firm discontinued and Mr. Stacey embarked in business for himself and has been unusually successful. He has become known as the largest home trade buyer in New York State ouside of New York city. He buys for the wholesale trade and ships to all points and into nearly every State in the Union. He is a young man about twenty-eight years of age and possessed of unusual business enterprise and energy.
STAHL, John L., Salisbury, was born in Fulton county, N. Y., September 25, 1846. His grandfather purchased land and settled in Fulton county early in the seventh century, participating in the war of the Revolution. John Stahl, father of John L., was also born here. He was a contracting carpenter. Mr. John L. Stahl was connected with his brother, Levi, in lumbering for about ten years, after which he was engaged in mercantile business in Fulton county for about nine years. In 1883 Mr. Stahl disposed of his interests in Fulton county, and purchased the mercantile establishment at Salisbury Corners, which he has since conducted, doing a large trade. His wife was Sarah M. Avery, of Gloversville, N. Y. They have had two children, a son and a daughter, Frederick and Minnie Stahl. Frederick Stahl married a daughter of Supervisor Warren H. Eaton.
STARING, Charles E., Frankfort, was born in Frankfort, October 22, 1834, he being one of eight children of Nicholas and Mary Ann (Sterling) Staring. Nicholas Staring, the father, was born in Old Stone Church, Fort Hunter, and his wife, Mary Ann, was born in the town of Schuyler. The grandfather, Adam Staring, lived in the town of Manheim. Charles E. Staring married, in October, 1861, Mary C., daughter of Abram and Catharine (Phillips) Grant, of Frankfort, and they have had three children: De Witt C., who died in September, 1892; Carmaleita and Mame. Mr. Staring has always lived in Frankfort. He learned the trade of carpenter and builder in early life, which he has always followed.
STARING, Gilbert, Stark, was born in Danube April 10, 1848, son of John A. and Elizabeth (Cristman) Staring. The grandfather, John, was a pioneer of Manheim, served in the War of 1812, and died aged eighty-eight. He was twice married and had children by both wives. John A. was born in Manheim and lived there until about fifteen, when he came to Stark, and then married and moved to Danube. In 1855 he returned to Deck, where he died November 16, 1887. He served in Company A., 152d N. Y. Volunteers three years, participating in twenty-six battles. He was wounded in left arm in the battle of the Wilderness, and had a sixty days' furlough, which was the only time he was off duty. He and his wife had eleven children: Lucinda Vedder of Nebraska; Menzo, who enlisted in Company F, 121st N. Y. Infantry, and was killed in the battle of the Wilderness; Gilbert, Mary Christman of Herkimer; Amanda Casler of Frankfort; Minerva Brown of Mohawk; Dan of Huntington, Quebec; Henry, died aged four; John, died aged two; Ellen Wells of Leipsic, and Ervin E. Gilbert was raised on a farm and received a district school education, and at fourteen began for himself working on a farm at $4.00 per month. At twenty-one he began cheese manufacture in Stark and was for thirteen years in Richfield. In 1890 he located on 150 acres of lad where he now lives. He is a Democrat. September 15, 1875, he married Hattie, daughter of John and Margaret (Mowers) France, and they have one child: Lela.
STARKWEATHER, Rufus G., Warren, a substantial farmer and stock breeder, was born August 15, 1846, and is a son of Rufus G. and Lucinda (Loomis) Starkweather. The subject traces his parental ancestry back to A. M. Starkweather, who immigrated from England in 1690 and settled in New England. The subject's father was born on the old homestead in Warren, September 23, 1815. He died October 15, 1848. He followed merchandising all his life and held several town offices. Rufus G., the subject of this sketch, was educated at Clinton Academy and Warren's Military school in Poughkeepsie. In 1873 he went to Beloit, Wis., and carried on a private bank three years. Returning he located at Little Falls and ran a bank until in 1878 he settled on his grandfather's homestead and engaged in breeding fine stock. He has been supervisor and is active in politics. He married Jennie Rankins, daughter of John and Matilda Loomis. No children have been born to Mr. And Mrs. Starkweather, but his wife has a daughter by her first husband. Mr. Starkweather is a Mason.
STEELE, J.A., Herkimer, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, May 20, 1840. He received his education in the schools of Rochelle, Illinois, and on May 6, 1861, was mustered in the United States service, becoming a member of the Sturges Rifles, a company of sharpshooters from Chicago. This company was sent to West Virginia, and Mr. Steele participated in the battle of Rich Mountain, Laurel Hill, etc., after which he was sent to Washington, and after the first battle of Bull Run, went with McClellan through the peninsula campaign, participating in all the battles and skirmishes. After the battle of Fredericksburg he was mustered out, and came to Herkimer, where he decided to study law. He entered the law office of Thomas Richardson, esq., of Frankfort, N.Y., and was admitted to the bar in 1864. He has practiced in partnership with Judge G.W. Smith and A.B. Steele, his son, Robert E. Steele, being now associated with him. He married Miss Mary E. Howell. They have four children, two boys and two girls. J.A. Steele is a Mason, a member of Aaron Helmer G.A.R. Post, of Herkimer, N.Y., which he organized and was commander of for six years. His wife's father was Lieutenant Howell of the Second New York Heavy Artillery.
STEPHENS, Frank E., supervisor of Columbia and postmaster of Cedarville, is also dealer in general merchandise. He was born at Frankfort Hill April 5, 1862. He married Mamie E., daughter of Jeremiah Myers. His father was Stewart Stephens, a son of Roswell, a native of Stonington, Conn., who married Sophie Connable about 1809 and came to Frankfort. He died in 1854. He served in the War of 1812, was wounded at Lundy's Lane July 12, 1814, and was discharged that year.
STODDARD, Wilbur, O., Newport, was born in Newport, Herkimer county, in 1857, a son of Orville J., whose father was Harvey, a native of Connecticut, born in 1796. In 1820 the latter came to Newport, N. Y., and settled on the farm now owned by his son, Orville J. He married Mary Daniels, a daughter of Eleazer Daniels (one of the earliest settlers of Newport, and in the war of 1812), by whom he had two sons and two daughters. By trade he was a carpenter and assisted in building the Norway Church, the church at Russia Corners and Middleville Church. In politics he was a Republican. He died March 10, 1869, and his wife died in 1878. Orville J. Stoddard was born in Newport on April 8, 1837, and has always been a resident of the town. August 19, 1855, he married Adelaide J. Minott, a native of Schuyler, born March 3, 1841. She was one of the four daughters of Colonel and Betsey (Farrinton) Minott, early settlers of Schuyler, N. Y. The children were Wilbur O., Mary A., wife of George M. Jones, of Newport, and Frank H. Wilbur O. was reared on the old homestead. He and his brother Frank are the leading honey producers of the county, and they also do an extensive business in pop-corn raising. He owns two blocks and a fine dwelling in Middleville, is a Republican and has been assessor one term. He has been bookkeeper and treasurer of the Hasenclever cheese factory seven years and has taught school several terms.
STONE, B. A., German Flats, is a native of Wilmington, Vt., and was educated at the Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass., and Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He then went into the pocketbook business at South Deerfield, Mass., after which he engaged in the same business at Philadelphia, Pa., where he still remains. He is now largely interested in the Mohawk Knitting company, of which he is president and is vice-president of the Mohawk Valley Knitting Mills, and a director in the Mohawk Valley National Bank. In 1872 he married Ella E. Crim, daughter of J.S.F. Crim of Mohawk, N. Y., and they have three children living: Louis T., Marjorie D., and Bertha D. Mr. Stone's father was Ashley and his grandfather was Ebenezer, both natives of Hinsdale, N. H.
STROBEL, Charles G., Dolgeville, was born in the town of Ohio. He was educated in the Fairfield and Cazenovia Seminaries; studied medicine in the University of Vermont and the Long Island College Hospital, of Brooklyn, N. Y., graduating from the latter institution in 1888. After practicing for a few months in Pennsylvania he settled in Dolgeville, where he now enjoys a large and lucrative practice. He married Nora L. Brown of this county.
SUITS, Hiram, was born in Minden, Montgomery county, November 14, 1830, son of Thomas and Laura E. (Hurlbert) Suits. His grandfather, Henry, was born near Stone Arabia. His father was a pioneer of Palatine, Montgomery county. Henry Suits came to Minden about 1828 or 1830, where he died at an advanced age. He served in the war of 1812. Subject and wife had these children: John, Thomas, David, James, Henry, Betsey, Margaret, Jane and Ann. Subject's father located in Minden about 1825, where he resided until 1841, when he located in Starkville as a blacksmith, later at Cramer's Corners. In the fall of 1856 he moved to Boone county, Illinois, where he died in 1871. His wife died in Lincoln county, Nebraska. He raised six children: Sara Flint, widow, living in Nebraska; Helen Miller, a widow living in Illinois; Hiram, Mary Peck, of Illinois; Henry, of Texas, who served in the secret service during the war, and went from Missouri under General Millroy. John died in Boone county, Illinois, about 1873, Hiram received a district school education, and at twenty began for himself at the carpenter's trade, which he followed ten years, when he leased the farm where he lives of sixty-three acres, which he now owns. He has another farm of 126 acres. He served as justice and is an active Republican. He married July 4, 1854, Margaret, daughter of James D. and Margaret (Cramer) Weldon, by whom he has one child, James, born April 25, 1860, in Stark, who married November 5, 1884, Libbie M., daughter of Hiram and Marinda (Bronner) Ward. They have one child, Clark.
SWEET, Burton J., Norway was born in Norway July 20, 1836. He is a son of Jesse Sweet, a son of Wanton Sweet, a native of Rhode Island, born October 6, 1776. When a young man Wanton Sweet came to Salisbury and there in 1800 married Olive Carr of Salisbury, born 1783. They reared twelve children. Mr. Sweet died February 2, 1850, and his wife died October 1, 1856. Jesse Sweet was born in Salisbury in 1802. March 10, 1831, he married Elizabeth Potter and had four children. While on a journey to the west looking for land he died in Ohio in 1837. Burton J. Sweet was educated in the common and select schools. He now owns the farm on which he was born. In 1871 he married Emily M. Crain of Evans Mills, Jefferson county, born 1843. Their children are Ward B., Arthur H., Bertha E., Jessie V. and Annie M. Mr. Sweet is a Prohibitionist. He has been highway commissioner three years and a member of Norway Grange 568. Mrs. Sweet is a Baptist. The parents of Mrs. Sweet were Isaac and Mertilla (Root) Crain. Mr. Crain died March 11, 1888, and Mrs. Crain died February, 1883.