Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
TABER, Frederick Frank, Newport, was a son of Walter M. and Elizabeth (Frank) Taber. His father was a son of Peleg Taber, a native of Herkimer county, who had five children: Adelaide, Frederick Frank, Louise, wife of Charles White; George R. and Charles W. The mother, Elizabeth, was a daughter of Frederick Frank, who was a resident of Fort Herkimer. Frederick Frank was born in the Town of Herkimer December 22, 1837. At the age of twenty-two he began for himself, following farming and teaming for several years, then began the manufacture of chairs, and in 1887 he purchased the hotel which he now keeps. He married Harriet C., a daughter of Walter P. and Harriet W. Griswold, and they have two children: Linda wife of Charles Parkhurst, and Walter G.
TABER, Peleg, Newport, came from the town of Danby, Rutland county, VT., and settled on the Turnpike, between Herkimer and Little Falls. He next moved on the first farm north of the County house, and then he and his son, Albert, purchased the first farm west of the County house, which they sold to Walter Taber, and bought the adjoining farm west. Peleg Taber married a Miss Cole, and their children were as follows: Hannah Cummings, William C., Albert, Walter and John, all residents of the county through life except Hannah. Albert married Nancy, daughter of Henry J. and Nancy Myers, and their children were William Henry (deceased); Helen L., John A. and Ira (deceased). John followed farming and married January 11, 1860, Annette, daughter of Robert and Nancy Stewart. Her father came here when she was young. Their children were Minnie, Stewart J., Etta and Bertie. John Taber started for himself as a farmer at the age of twenty. For six years he worked by the month, then on his marriage he rented a farm in Montgomery county, where he remained three years. Returning to Herkimer county he worked at the carpenter's trade, and then moved to Orange county, where he remained three years, working for his uncle, Samuel J. Stewart. He then moved to Fairfield, remaining thirteen years, for two years being in the hotel business. He was also an officer and made a specialty of collections. In 1881 he purchased his present residence. He has held the offices of constable for twenty-four years, deputy sheriff nine years, collector and chief of police of Middleville. Ira, son of Albert, was a soldier in the late war, enlisting in Company I, 121st N. Y. Volunteers. He was disabled and brought home from Frederick City.
TABER, Wm.I., was born in Herkimer, Herkimer county, in 1865. He received his education in the Utica schools, graduating from Utica Academy in 1883. After teaching school for one winter, he entered the Herkimer Bank as clerk, and has passed through all departments, being appointed cashier in 1892. Mr. Taber is treasurer of the Light and Water Commission of Herkimer. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is connected with the leading social and benevolent institutions of the village. His family is of Mohawk Dutch descent, and of Revolutionary antecedents of this State. They settled in New York during the seventeenth century.
TALLMAN, W. Akins, is a native of Schuyler. His father, Ebenezer Tallman, came from Schenectady, and was drafted in the war of 1812. He hired a substitute and sent in his place. In 1871 W.A. Tallman married Esther Willis, and they have five children, four daughters and a son. Mr. Tallman is a Republican in politics, and is a representative citizen. He has been poormaster of the town two years.
TANNER, Merritt W., Schuyler, was born in Schuyler, November 23, 1839. He engaged in farming and the butter trade. He was in business in Iowa for about five years. His father was Hiram B. Tanner, and his grandfather was William Tanner, who came here from Rhode Island. In 1861 Mr. Tanner married Libbie A. Frank, daughter of John C. Frank, of Fort Herkimer, and has only one son living, Almon M., who is also married and has two children: Blanche L. and Almon M. jr.
TAYLOR, J. R., Little Falls, the leading hardware merchant of Little Falls, is a native of Albany. He has spent most of his life in New York city, Michigan and Little Falls. He was engaged in the insurance business in Chicago for a few years. In 1886 he embarked in the hardware business in Little Falls, the firm being Taylor, Cooke & Co. In 1890 the name was changed to Taylor and Markham and in 1892 he assumed control of the whole business. He is essentially one of the leading men in Little Falls, judged by his ability and success. He is secretary and treasurer of the Little Falls Excelsior and Lumber Company, and has been of the Board of Health. He is a member of the Odd Fellows' Society and the Lodge of Elks and was captain of a military company at Port Huron, Mich., in 1874. He comes of an illustrious family which has resided in America for seven generations. His grandfather was John Taylor, Mayor of the city of Albany, 1824. He is connected with the Taylors of Albany, and the Richmonds of Richmond Manor and the Wotherspoons of New York.
TAYLOR, Joseph, German Flats, was born in Dutchess county, August 18, 1838, and learned the trade of wagonmaker. He enlisted in November, 1861, in the Thirteenth Connecticut Volunteers, and served under General Butler until 1866. In 1867 he came to Ilion and has been a contractor in the armory up to the present time. His is a Mason, having passed up to the command of a member of the G. A. R. In 1884 he married Amelia F. Myers. His father was Warren Taylor, a native of Middletown, Conn.
TAYLOR, Noadiah D., Winfield, farmer and dealer in cattle, wool, etc., is a son of Timothy C., whose father was Samuel Taylor, a native of Meriden, Conn., and one of the first settlers of Plainfield, Otsego county. Subject's mother was Clarissa, daughter of Timothy Walker, who settled in West Winfield and built the first grist-mill in 1808. He cleared a large tract of land where West Winfield is now situated. Noadiah D. was born at West Exeter, Otsego county, July 5, 1827, settled in West Winfield in 1856 and built his present house that year. He married in 1854 Lodema S. Brown, who died December 11, 1881, aged fifty-one years. She was a daughter of Hiram and Susan (Gorton) Brown.
THOMAS, Charles D., Winfield, attorney, was born August 15, 1861, in Winfield, a son of John M. and Dorcas G. Thomas. He was educated at West Winfield Academy and read law with George M. Aylesworth, of West Winfield, Sutton & Morehouse and Spriggs, Mathews & Spriggs, of Utica; was admitted to practice October 10, 1884. He immediately went to Watertown and formed a co-partnership with E. P. Webb, under the firm name of Webb & Thomas. This co-partnership was dissolved January 3, 1885, and shortly after he moved to West Winfield. On February 4 he opened an office in the Huntley block. He remained there until April 1, 1887, when he moved into the Mairs block, where he is now located. On August 5, 1883, he was married to Jennie M. Louden, of Rome.
THOMAS, George H., is a native of Middleville and was educated in the private schools of Connecticut. He first began business as a clerk in the employ of the State at Albany and was next in the employ of the United States. He subsequently came home and took charge of this business, which he has owned since his father's death in 1865. This tannery business is one of the oldest in the country, having been started by Mr. Thomas's grandfather in 1814. Mr. Thomas now employs seventy hands in the production of calf-skin leather. He is president of the National Bank at Newport and has been since 1874. In 1867 he married Miss Mary Kenyon and they have one child. Mr. Edward M. Burns is a partner of Mr. Thomas.
THOMAS, J. F., German Flats, was born in Herkimer, June 20, 1836. He was at first a farmer and then in the canal business. He then began contract work in the gun factory and remained there thirty-three years as master mechanic and contractor. He was also contractor for the State of New York for seven years and superintendent of section four of the canal. In 1883 he bought the Ilion Opera House, now the Thomas Opera House and has since devoted his attention to it and his real estate interests. He has been president of that village, trustee and water commissioner. In 1856 he married Miss Libby A. McChesney.
THOMSON, E. O. W., Herkimer, of the firm of Prowse & Thomson, is a native of Holland Patent, near Utica, and came to Herkimer in 1884, to enter the present partnership. He was educated at Holland Patent Academy, the Holbrook Military Academy, and at Fort Plain. He married Miss Addie E. Hubbard and they have one child. Mr. Thomson is quite a young man, having taken a half interest in this large business when just twenty-one years of age. He belongs to the Odd Fellows and the A. O. U. W., and is a Republican in politics.
THOMPSON, James W., Fairfield, is one of the bright young men of Herkimer county. He is a native of Salisbury and his father, W. J Thompson, was one of the substantial farmers of that township. Mr. Thompson owns 165 acres of land and a dairy of forty-five cows. His father died in 1885 and his mother in 1891, the former at the time his death being the owner of seven farms.
THORP, John J., Litchfield, proprietor of the Cedarville Hotel, was born in Rural Grove, Montgomery county, September 26, 1848, and settled in Danube in 1859. He is a son of Prof. Joshua Thorp, who spent most of his life in teaching. He was for some time principal of the academy at Onondaga Valley N. Y., and also of the High School at Watertown. He was a very successful teacher and lecturer, and was in the war of the Rebellion. He was a son of Ebenezer Deacon Thorp, one of the pioneer settlers of Root, Montgomery county. John J. Thorp married Ella Young, of German Flats, and they have four children living: Benjamin F., Raymond J., Mabel J., and Ethel Thorp. Professor Joshua Thorp married Miss Catharine Shull the daughter of Jacob Shull of Danube, Herkimer county, New York. She was the mother of John J. and Louisa Thorp.
TIBBETTS, William, M. D., Danube, was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., October 4, 1837. He received and academic education and eventually graduated in medicine from Bellevue Hospital College, New York, in 1867. He immediately thereafter located at Newville, Danube township, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. Dr Tibbetts Married Elizabeth Houpt; they have two children living, both of whom are sons. The doctor has served Danube as supervisor for the past two terms. He is a member of the County Medical Society and is a very skilled and thorough medical practitioner.
TILYON, Abram, Stark, was born November 25, 1838, two miles east of Van Hornesville, a son of Joseph and Rebecca (Kinter) Tilyon. The grandfather, Joseph, was a Frenchman and a pioneer of Van Hornesville. He died in Stark, aged over ninety. His wife was Elizabeth Druse, who died a year earlier. They had these children: Elizabeth, Charlotte, Joseph, Stephen, Carlisle, Mary, Charles Catharine and Alexander. Joseph was born in Stark September 19, 1807. He learned the cooper's trade, but was a farmer, owning 180 acres. He died March 25, 1882, and his wife in March, 1868. She was born April 13, 1807, and had eight children: Jonas, Catharine L., Abram, Edwin, Rensselaer, Leander, Daniel S. and Ellen C. Joseph married second Phebe Herkimer. Subject was raised on a farm and at age twenty-one began for himself buying and shipping stock. In the spring of 1864 he bought his first farm of 176 acres. In 1876 he bought the homestead of his maternal grandfather of 180 acres. He also owned another of 112 acres, which he sold. He was elected justice at twenty-three but refused to serve. He is an active Mason at Springfield Center. February 19, 1868, he married Hannah M. Turner, born in Warren, daughter of Appolas and Mary (Yule) Turner, natives of Grandvilla, Vt., and Warren, N. Y. When a young man he came to Warren and engaged in farming until his death, January 27, 1892, aged eighty-six. He was a Democrat. His wife survives him, aged eighty-one. They had three children: Sylvester of Minnesota; Nicholas, of Branch, Mich., and Hanna M. Subject and wife have had two children: Willard J., of New jersey, and Zula, who died, aged six years. Mr. and Mrs. Tilyon are Universalists.
TIMMERMAN, Ira, Manheim, was born in the town of Manheim, April 26, 1828. He received a good education in the schools here and has always followed farming, although in connection with his farm he had been engaged in other lines. He now owns a fine dairy farm of 120 acres. Mr. Timmerman erected a hotel at the "Corners," opposite his residence, which he and his son conducted for some time. He has been largely identified with the material progress of this community. His children are as follows: Ella, George H., William, Jeremiah, Izora, Melvin, Ida, Lester and Kittie, all living. Mr. Timmerman's ancestry for four generations have lived here, locating in Snell's Bush about 1709. Mr. Timmerman has served as assessor and held other offices, and is a representative farmer.
TIMMERMAN, L. & SON, Little Falls, coal dealers of Little Falls, are numbered among the representative men of Herkimer county. The father, J. Timmerman, is a native of Manheim Center and followed the occupation of farmer up to eighteen years ago, when he came to Little Falls and embarked in the coal business. He has taken a prominent part in local affairs in Little Falls, having been trustee of the village four terms or eight years, and has been president of the Y. M. C. A. for the past ten years. The coal firm was first Gillman, Brown, Loucks and Timmerman, then Gillman & Timmerman, until May 1, 1882, when Mr. Timmerman conducted it alone until February 1, 1887, when O. W. Timmerman was admitted to the firm, and it has since been conducted under the present name. O. W. Timmerman belongs to what may be called the younger circle of leading business men of Little Falls. He holds a high degree in the Masonic order, is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Shrine; of the Elks, the Royal Arcanum and other important organizations. His wife was Marguerite Eugenie Christman, of Herkimer, N. Y.
TINE, G. Frank, Frankfort, one of seven children of George and Catherine (Allman) Tine, was born in Herkimer, March 4, 1859. George, the father, was born in Bavaria, and his wife, Catharine, was born in Germany. G. F. was married December 29, 1881, to Cora Belle, one of six children of Daniel and Maria (Putman) Bridenbecker of East Schuyler. He worked for twelve years in the Remington works at Ilion, the last six years as tool maker. About six years ago he entered the employ of the West Shore railroad at their shops in Frankfort, where he remains, he being foreman of the tool department at the works. Since 1889 he has been engaged with his brother in running a news room, book and general notion store, under the name of Tine Brothers.
TRENBETH, Frank, Herkimer, was born in Rochester, N. Y. His father, Henry Trenbeth, moved from Rochester to Herkimer when the subject of this brief sketch was but a child. He therefore received his education in the local schools, and afterwards was for four years connected with the Herkimer Bank. In June, 1888, he, in connection with his father, established their present grocery house. Frank Trenbeth married Miss Carrie M. French of Rochester, N. Y., and has two children, both girls. Frank Trenbeth is a Mason. Henry Trenbeth was born in England. At eight years of age he was brought to Canada, and at the close of the war he moved to Rochester, N. Y. In 1868 he again moved for the last time to Herkimer, N. Y., where he has since resided. His wife was Miss Mary Riddell of Ontario. Frank Trenbeth is his only surviving child. Henry Trenbeth is a Royal Arch Mason, a charter member of the A. O. U. W., and both members of the firm are associated with leading social and benevolent institutions.
TRENHAM, William T., Winfield, is one of the assessors of the town of Winfield, and the leading contractor and builder. His building operations extend over six different counties. He has followed this for forty years. William T. Trenham was born in Oneida county, September 14, 1833, and married Susanah Eames of that county, by whom he has two children: Mary E. and Gertrude B.
TUNNICLIFT, George E., Warren, was born on the farm adjoining the one on which he now lives, July 11, 1858, and is a son of Horatio N. and Augusta L. (Rathbun) Tunniclift. His grandfather, George, was born in 1790 and came to Warren when he was three years old, and there lived until he died at the age of seventy-three. His wife was Marinda Tilden, whose father was a cousin of Samuel J. Tilden. They had four children: Horatio N., Oran N., Mary E., and Damon G. Horatio N. Tunniclift was born October 11, 1820, and died November 5, 1855; his wife is still living. They had four children: Mary M. (deceased), Augusta L., George E., and Nelson H. George E. was educated at Richfield Springs Seminary and taught school one term. He operates his mother's farm of fifty-two acres and is a breeder of Hambletonian horses. He is a Republican.
TURNER, E. M., Mohawk, was born in Exeter, Otsego county, N. Y., January 19, 1851. He received an academic education, after which he engaged in farming for a few years. Then for four years ran a grocery in Mohawk, after this he was manager of a flour and feed establishment in Utica for a time, and also identified with the Getman Manufacturing Company of Ilion for three years. In September, 1892, Mr. Turner established a wholesale and retail bakery concern in Mohawk. He is doing a good business. Mr. Turner is identified with the board of education, etc.
TURNER, George R., Ohio, was born in Ohio, September 23, 1834. His father was Cornelius Turner, son of John Tuner. The latter was a native of Massachusetts, and early in life went to Greenbush, Westchester county. He afterwards went to Ohio, where he died. Cornelius Turner was a native of Greenbush, born January 17, 1794. He was reared a blacksmith and followed his trade fifty years. His wife was Deborah Ames, a native of St. Lawrence county, born November 18,1798. They had four sons and three daughters. In November, 1819, Mr. Turner and family came to Ohio and settled on the farm now owned by George R. and there lived until his death, November 5, 1875. His wife died September 2, 1879. They were members of the M. E. church. George R. Tuner was reared on a farm and educated in the common school. March 7, 1857, he married Eliza E. Paul, born July 22, 1841, a daughter of Franklin and Rachael (Vinton) Paul. Mr. Paul died in 1841 and Mrs. Paul resides in Illinois at the age of seventy-three years. Mr. Turner and wife had six children: Louisa, Deborah, Franklin B., Millard F., and George and Ada deceased. Mr. Turner is a farmer, a Democrat and has been town collector two terms, assessor two terms and overseer of the poor two terms. He is a member of the North Star Lodge, No. 686, of Ohio, and he and his wife are Methodists.
TURNER, Louis, Herkimer, was born in Germany, 1852. He came to this country July 5, 1869. He started at farming in Lewis county. Then he came to Utica, Oneida county, 1871, and started in the butcher business. He remained there for five years and married Miss Mary Everheart in 1883, from there he went to Mohawk in 1875 to 1877, and then to Herkimer, and in 1881 established a business for himself. In 1883 he was elected in the ranks of K. of P. In 1884 he became a member of I. O. O. F. His business has been successful and he has two sons. In 1890 he was elected as trustee of the village of Herkimer.