Taken from History of Herkimer County by George A. Hardin and Frank H. Willard, published in 1893.
WADELL, George C., Winfield, was born in Bridgewater, August 23, 1839, and came to this county to live in 1854. He enlisted July 29, 1862, in the 121st regiment, Company B., and was in the battles of Crampton Pass, Antietam and Fredericksburg, and was discharged for disability, March 10, 1863. He married, June 3, 1863, Sarah E. Bucklen. He is a son of Isaac E. and Jane Wadell, both natives of England. He has two children living: Charles R. and George S., and has lost two: Albert H. and Edward L. Robert Bucklen was born where he now lives, May 14, 1806, a son of Simeon, and Mary Bucklen, the first settlers on this farm, which came to Robert, his father, by buying out other heirs. There were twelve children in his father's family, only three now living: Robert, Isaac and Hannah. Robert married Luna, daughter of Dr. John Hackley, of Plainfield, Otsego county, and have an adopted daughter, Sarah E.
WADSWORTH, Joel, Winfield, was born in New Hartford, Oneida county, November 5, 1800. He was a son of Timothy, a native of Connecticut, one of the first settlers of Oneida county; who when he came to this locality found but two or three small houses. He settled in the eastern part of the town of New Hartford, where he died November 15, 1847. Lydia, his wife, died June 11, 1848. Joel Wadsworth settled in Winfield about 1833 and has lived in this town ever since. He has been strictly a temperance man all this time. He belongs to the First M.E. Church of West Winfield. His father had six sons and six daughters. They were all members of the Methodist Episcopal church. There are but three of them living: Joel, Nancy, and Maria. Mr. Wadsworth attends the M.E. church, having been a member since 1825, and is a very active worker. Joel Wadsworth married first, Sarah Goodier, who died January 22, 1861. She was the mother of four children: Hester Ann, who married Albert Crumb; George H., who married Henrietta Stout; Emily H., who married Alvin Day, and Lizzie H., who married Dr. Orrin Wilcox. He married second, Roxey (Beals) Dunham, who died March 6, 1883. His third wife was Lucretia Peck, the widow of Alexander Dewey. She was married to Mr. Wadsworth April 17, 1884.
WAGNER, Oscar, Frankfort, was born in Prussia, July 6, 1862. He was one of six children of William and Mathilde Wagner. He was educated in the schools of the city of Bromberg. In addition to the languages, etc., he was given the benefits of a scientific education. When twenty years of age he came to this country, locating in Frankfort, some nine and a half years. In 1888 he went into general contracting and building. In 1889 he erected a building, the first floor of which he occupies as a grocery and general store. It is a fine three-story building 30x80 feet, the upper floors of which are used as tenements. He also own four other dwellings arranged for two families each. He is one of the thrifty men of town. He was married March 10, 1886, to Bertha Koeppe, a native of Prussia.
WAINMAN, John, Warren, was born in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England, June 26, 1842, a son of Thomas and Sarah (Shepard) Wainman, who had seven sons and three daughters; Thomas, died in 1891 at Mohawk; Frank, died in 1884 at Richfield Springs; William, Alfred, Edward, Henry, John, Christiana, Sarah and Adelaide. The grandfather, Thomas, was born at Leeds, Yorkshire, a man well educated and informed. His wife was Christiana Yates, who bore him two sons, Alfred J. and Thomas. He died in England about 1835, and his widow came to the United States, with his son, Thomas, and died in New HArtford, Oneida county, before the war. Alfred J. was the first to come to the United States, about 1843, and settled in Utica. He was a close friend of Roscoe Conkling, and was in the tanner and currier business at New Hartford. He is now in the custom house in New York. Thomas Wainman was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, received a college education at Leeds and Cambridge, where he became a teacher. In July, 1847, he came to this country, and located in Utica, where he followed his trade; he also ran a hotel. In 1851 he moved to Newport and engaged in the shoe business. Four years later he went to Salisbury, and in 1870 came to Jordanville, and followed his trade until his death in April, 1888. He was a Democrat and was a promonent Forester in England. His wife survivies him. She was born in Kendall, Westmorelamnd county, England, daughter of Thomas Shepard, a farmer, who had ten children, three of whom came to the United States. John Wainman received a district school education, and at fifteen began to work on a farm by the month. In the spring of 1870 he located where he now resides, on 180 acres on the Robinson estate. He is an active Democrat, but has never married.
WAITE, Eben Britton.-The subject of this sketch was born in village of Little Falls, December 25, 1820, and is a son of Job and Rebecca Waite. His education, which began at an early age, was completed in the village schools, where he was a diligent and proficient student. Mr. Waite commenced his business career in 1836, acting as clerk for Jacob W. Dygert, who kept a store on the canal, near the Aqueduct. He remained in this position one year, when he accepted a clerkship with John Beardslee in a grocery and provision store on Main street. Holding this place three years, on April 1, 1890, he entered the canal warehouse of Page & Priest. In the spring of 1845 he rented a canal warehouse and grocery store of Major Frederick Bellinger, of Mohawk, located at the Herkimer upper bridge. The situation being undesirable, he returned to Little Falls in 1846 and took charge as manager of canal warehouse, and line of boats running between the place and New York city. In 1850 he left this situation, and traveled two years for health and recreation. In 1852 he formed he formed a co-partnership with William Page, to develop a water power on Seely Island and build a paper mill. In 1854 selling his interest in this enterprise to Mr. Page and his son, he bought and developed three water lots on the north side of the Mohawk river at the lower falls. The development of these lots was a work of considerable magnitude. A channel thirty-two feet wide and seventeen feet deep at the highest point was blasted through the solid rock, opening into the waters of the Mohawk. It was controlled by a bulkhead, and, with a portion of the old Inland Lock and Navigation Company's canal which was reconstructed, formed the mill canal. April 30, 1857 Mr. Waite formed a co-partnership with Seth M. and Alvin Richmond, under the firm name of E. B. Waite & Co., for the purpose of building and operating a paper-mill. This business was successfully continued until March 13, 1889, when the property was sold to the Little Falls Paper Company. Mr. Waite, since 1889, has lived a retired life at his residence, 320 South Ann street, in the village of Little Falls. He married, August 14, 1867, Miss Helen Case, daughter of Morgan E. Case, of Fairfield. They have two children, a son, Eben Britton, jr., born August 25, 1869 and a daughter, Cora, born February 16, 1872, both of whom reside at the family mansion.
WAKEMAN, Ward, Little Falls, a farmer, resides about three miles north of the village of Little Falls, and was born on the old Wakeman homestead, adjoining his present home. His grandfather came from Connecticut about the year 1800, and the family has resided here ever since. His father's name was J. B. Wakeman. Ward Wakeman married Ella J. Skinner, who died July, 1891.
WALKER, George A., Winfield, is a dealer in watches, clocks, silverware and jewelry, and makes watch repairing a specialty. He was born here and has been in business here since 1890. He is a son of the late Dwight B. Walker, a dealer in general merchandise, who was a son of Ira Walker, one of the first settlers of Winfield.
WALKER, L. N., German Flats, was born in New Hampshire, February 14, 1845, and has been a mechanic all his life. He came to Ilion in 1871 and entered the armory and during the past four years has been a contractor in assembling and finishing. In 1866 he married Kate E. Sartelle, daughter of Calvin Sartelle, Mr. Walker was captain of the celebrated Ilion rifle team, and is a prominent Mason.
WALLACE, Rev. P. F., Frankfort, pastor of St. Peter and Paul's Roman Catholic church, was born in Ireland, and educated at All Hallows College, Dublin. He came to this country in 1881 and entered St. Joseph's Seminary at Troy, N. Y., studying for the priesthood. He was ordained in 1886 and appointed assistant priest at St. John's church, Albany, where he remained for six years. Appointed to this parish by Right Rev. Bishop McNeirny of Albany, he came to Frankfort, April 19, 1892, he being the first resident pastor, Rev. James Halpin, of Herkimer, having officiated heretofore. A fine parochial residence is being erected beside the church, under the supervision of Fr. Wallace.
WALLIVER, D. H., German Flats, was born in Herkimer county, September 11, 1847, and has been a farmer all his life. He owns 237 acres of dairy land, and sells a large quantity of milk. He takes an active part in Democrat politics. In 1884 he married Miss Johanna Conkling. He is a Mason, a member of Iroquois Chapter and the Little Falls Commandery.
WALKER Brothers, Little Falls; this firm consists of Elon and Charles Walker, and was established in 1888. Charles Walker was born in 1860, and he married Nellie Blay. They have no children. Elon Walker was born in 1863 and is unmarried. The firm does a retail liquor business and enjoys a large trade, both members are very popular with the general public, and are enterprising and public spirited men.
WALKER, Dr. D. E., German Flats, was born in Dolgeville, November 17, 1855. He graduated from Hamilton College in 1879, and then studied medicine in Buffalo. He came to Ilion in 1865, and now taking a special course is the New York College of Physicians and Surgeons. Since 1889 he has been conducting the leading drug business of Ilion. He is a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society, and of the Summum Bonum Club. In 1888 he married Lizzie Heacock, and they have one daughter.
WALL, William R., Warren was born in Utica, March 16, 1838, and is a son of Edward and Caroline (Duell) Wall. His grandfather Wall came from England and settled in New Bedford, Mass. When a young man he came to Utica. He married Caroline Duell and had one child, William R., the subject. After his death his wife married William Acers and had one son, Frank B. Her third husband was Levi Gray. She died at the age of sixty-eight. William R. Wall began business life by working on a farm by the month. In 1867 he settled on the farm where he now lives, of twelve acres on which was a saw-mill. He now owns sixty acres, and is engaged in cattle dealing and butchering and hires several large farms. During the civil war he served as captain of Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-second New York Volunteers. He married in January 1866, Cornelia, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Bloomfield) Loomis, and they have two children, Edwin H. and S. Louis.
WALLACE, Peter, was born in Ohio May 19, 1843, a son of Patrick Wallace, who was a native of Ireland. The latter about 1828 came to Troy and married Ellen Riley, also of Ireland, and they had seven sons and four daughters. About 1842 Mr. Wallace moved to Ohio and settled on a farm, where he lived until his death in 1876. His wife is now living at Gray at the age of eighty-one years. Peter Wallace is a farmer. His first marriage occurred August 4, 1867, to Emma Colwell, daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Atwood) Colwell, and they had two children, Annie and Maggie. In 1873 Mrs. Wallace died, and in 1874 he married Jennie Bly, of Norway, daughter of Horace and Harriet Bly. They had four children, Emma, Hattie, Walter and Arthur. Mr. Wallace is a Republican and has been assessor four years in Ohio. He is now serving his second term as a justice of the peace of Wilmurt. He is a member of the G. A. R. of Poland, Johnson Post, No. 532, and a member of the North Star Grange, No. 686. In 1864 he enlisted in the 186th N. Y. Vols., Company K, and was discharged June 6, 1865. He was at the siege of Petersburg the assault on Petersburg, and was in the pursuit of Lee until his surrender. At the close of the war he returned to Ohio, where he resided until 1883, when he moved to Wilmurt. William a brother of Peter, enlisted in 1861 in the Thirty-fourth N. Y. Vols., in which regiment he was lieutenant. At the expiration of his term of office in this regiment he re-enlisted in the Second Veteran Cavalry. He was then transferred to the 186th N. Y. Vols. and promoted to captain. He was mortally wounded at Petersburg April 2, 1865. Thomas, another brother of Peter, enlisted in 1861 in the Eighty-first N. Y. Vols., and was killed at Fair Oaks May 31, 1862.
WALRATH, E. M., Little Falls, was born in the town of Danube, but has spent all his business life in Little Falls. He has been engaged in the grocery business for about eleven years. He is a member of the American Mechanics, and a Democrat in politics. Mr. Walrath comes of an old historic family. His mother was a great-grandniece of General Herkimer. His great-great-grandfather, Henry Walrath, was in the battle of Oriskany, and at the close of the battle, while still enveloped in the smoke, he, with several others, were standing together, talking of the incidents of the day, when one of the party was shot down and very soon another and another until all but two or three were shot before they found their assailant, who was a wounded Indian, lying beside an old log near by. His grandfather, Moses Walrath, was in the war of 1812.
WALRATH, Henry, Litchfield, was born in Jefferson county, November 23, 1837, and settled in 1838 in the town of Danube. In October, 1870, he settled on the farm where he now lives in Litchfield. It is selected as one of the representative farms on the town, and he is an excellent farmer. He married Martha Jane Eygbroat, of Minden, Montgomery county, in November, 1859. They have five children: Esther, Hattie, Henry H., Milton, and Lester. Henry Walrath is son of David of this county, who died in Danube in 1848. His wife, Barbara (Bort) Walrath, died August 22, 1882.
WALRATH, Jacob, Danube, was born in Danube, August 16, 1822. His father, Moses Walrath, participated in the war of 1812, and was at Sackett's Harbor. Jacob Walrath married Mariah Green, daughter of Lyman Green: they have five children, one son and four daughters. Mr. Walrath owns a valuable farm of 200 acres on the river road in Danube township, and is assisted in its management by his son. He has served as trustee, etc, and is one of Danube's most highly esteemed residents and property owners.
WALRATH, Levi, Stark, was born where he resides, September 19, 1827, a son of Adolphus H. and Sophia (Moyer) Walrath. The grandfather was a pioneer of Minden, Montgomery county, and raised two sons: Adolphus and Peter. Subject's father was born in Minden, and finally settled in Stark, where he owned 400 acres before his death. He died in November, 1863, aged eighty years. His wife died February 20,1864, aged seventy-seven years; they had ten children: John A., Jerry, Charity, Mary, Nancy, Sally, Joanna, Moses, Levi and Betsey, three now living. Levi Walrath owns 350 acres of land. He cared for his parents until their death. He runs a large dairy and has served in various town offices, being an active Republican. He married March 16, 1862, Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Pamelia (Hann) Zoller, and she died September 16, 1862. He married second, March 25, 1865, Anna, a sister of his first wife, by whom he had two children: John A. and Levi. Mr. and Mrs. Walrath are members of the Lutheran church.
WALRATH, Marvin, Danube, was born in Danube, April 9, 1845, and comes of old Revolutionary stock. A grandfather of Marvin was a captain in the patriot army, and was killed at Herkimer. Henry I., father of the subject, was a native of Minden, and followed his trade of merchant tailoring, combined with agricultural pursuits, until his death. Marvin owns a farm of 137 acres in Danube, is engaged in the wholesale bottling business, putting up cider, lager and cider vinegar, for a trade which extends throughout Herkimer county, St. Johnsville, etc. Mr. Walrath married Cordelia Ingersoll, and they have five children, four sons and a daughter. he has served his district nine years as trustee, etc., and is identified with the Masonic fraternity, Royal Arcanum, etc.
WARD, Henry L., Fairfield, is a native of Eatonville, and was born February 7, 1813. His father came there about 1792, and was among the earliest settlers of that part. Henry L. Ward has been a very successful man and has gained the highest esteem of all who know him. He was for many years a resident of Newport, and was supervisor of that town six years, and inspector of county house five years. In 1850 he married Bula A. Martin, and they have three sons living: H. Judd, Frank M. and Bela J.
WARD, Hiram, Stark, was born on the farm where he now resides, March 30, 1826, a son of John A. and Catherine (Shaffer) Ward; his grandfather was a pioneer of Stark, who was born March 20, 1744, and served in the Revolutionary War as a private. He raised four sons and three daughters, and died on the farm in 1822. John A. Ward was born October 17, 1792, served in the War of 1812; he was a Whig and a Republican. He died in 1857, aged sixty-five, his wife died in 1869, aged seventy-five years. They had seven children: Maria (deceased), Levi (deceased), Liza Ann (deceased), David, Hiram, Ephraim and Daniel are now living. Hiram lived with his parents and took charge of the farm which he now owns, buying out the other heirs. In politics he is a Republican. He married, December 31, 1857, Marinda Bronner, daughter of Frederick and Eliza (Shaul) Bonner. Her father served as a supervisor, was a Republican. They had eleven children. Her grandfather, Frederick Bonner, was a pioneer of Stark. Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Ward have had two children: Charles H. and Libbie M.
WARD, William E., farmer, Eatonville, is a native of this town-Little Falls-and excepting for a space of ten years, from 1875 to 1884, he has been engaged in farming here. During those ten years he was on the Pacific coast mining, road building, etc. He owns sixty-six acres of land, utilized for grass, hay and dairy purposes. In 1888 Mr. Ward married Harriet P. Van Buren. He is a Democrat in politics, and is popular and much respected by all.
WARNER, Robert, W., M. D., German Flats, is a native of Baltimore, Md., and was born January 23, 1859. He studied in Ilion academy and with Dr. Maben, and graduated in 1880 from Albany Medical College, the same year opening an office in Ilion. He is a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society; of Ilion Lodge, No. 591, F. and A. M.; Iroquois Chapter, No. 236, R. A. M. and Khorassan Grotto, No. 2, Veiled Prophets. He was coroner for six years and health officer for about the same length of time. He is now first lieutenant and assistant surgeon of the Thirty-first Separate company, N. G. S. N. Y. In 1886 he married Louise M Schmidt of Ilion.
WARREN, Halsey W., Little Falls, general insurance and newspaper correspondent, was born in Amsterdam, N. Y., February 9, 1857. He was educated at the Amsterdam Academy. He followed civil engineering for eight years and settled in Little Falls after the completion of the West Shore railroad, in which he was employed for three years. In 1884 he established a general insurance agency. His ancestors were prominent in the history of the country. The late Hon. Platt Potter, of Schenectady, was his grandmother's brother. Mr. Warren has been a trustee of the village for four years, 1889-1893, besides being elected to other political offices. While trustee he was foremost in all improvements to the place, among them being the lighting of the village by electricity. In 1883 he was married to Nancy C. Staring, daughter of Peter A. Staring. Her mother was the daughter of the late Gen. Abram G. Rosecrantz of State militia fame and a descendent of Capt. George Henry Bell, a brother-in-law of Gen. Nicholas Herkimer, who was wounded in the battle of Oriskany. Mr. Warren is a prominent member of the Odd fellows, B. P. O. elks, royal Arcanum and Improved Order of Red Men.
WASHBURN, Elisha, Herkimer was born in Westchester county, N. Y., near Sing Sing, upon the 13th day of august, 1832. His family removed into Otsego county when Elisha was about three years of age. He received his educational advantages here and in the town of Plainfield, and followed farming until 1857, when he sold his farm of 160 acres and bought the Temperance House of Herkimer of Eli Taylor. After keeping this house for some years he sold it to Messrs. Field & Curtis, and established a flour and feed store, and in 1864 bought the Bellinger flouring mills, with which Mr. Washburn has since been connected. In 1886 he sold out one half interest of the mill to his former manager, G. M. Helmer, and the firm name is E. Washburn and G. M. Helmer now. He is a staunch Prohibitionist and in politics, also a protectionist. Mr. Washburn is of English descent, and traces his ancestry in this country to before revolutionary times, with which they were identified, also the war of 1812. The Washburn family hold a re-union each year, which over 100 representatives attend. Mr. Washburn married Miss Eunice Newton rice of Otsego county, in 1834, a descendant of Sir James Newton Rice. They have two children, a boy and a girl.
WATERS, S. J., jr., Little Falls, was born in the village of Little Falls, and received his education in the schools here, graduating from the academy. He is a son of S. J. Waters, who was for over thirty years an express agent here, but who has for some time been retired by the company with a substantial pension for faithful services. S. J. Waters, jr., after leaving school was associated for some time with his father in the express office, which position he left to enter the National Herkimer County Bank. Commencing at the bottom, he has gradually worked up to the position of teller, which office he now most acceptably fills. He was elected county treasurer for three years, upon the Democratic ticket, and is the only democrat ever elected for this position in Herkimer county. He is at present also trustee of the village, and a member of the Masons, Elks, Red Men, Knights Templar, and other social and benevolent institutions. His father has served as supervisor, deputy sheriff, etc.
WATKINS, James H. J., Schuyler, a native of Wales, was born in 1843, and came to America in 1853. He was educated in Fairfield Academy and Madison University, and was ordained a Baptist minister in 1866 having charge of the Baptist church at Harpersvill for some time. He is now a journalist and a farmer. He has been clerk of the board of supervisors and justice of the peace for twenty years. In 1887 he edited the Frankfort Register. In 1868 he married M. I. Richardson, and they have two children, William C. B. Watkins and Grace Watkins.
WATTS, J. W., German Flats, was born in Scotland in 1866 and was brought to this country in his infancy. He studied at Whitesboro Seminary, and for the bar in office of Goodwin & Swan, of Utica, and was admitted to the bar April 20, 1889. He has fine abilities and has advanced himself to his present position at the bar by his rare energy. He opened an office in Mohawk in October, 1892, and still retains his office in Utica. His father James watts, resides in Whitesboro, and is an inspector of the New York Mills.
WAY, William H., Schuyler, was born in Amsterdam, Montgomery county, August 20, 1827. He moved to West Schuyler when a small boy, where he has resided over fifty years. In 1855 he married Margaret A. McGraw, who died in 1868. They had five children: Hiram A., William C., Herbert C., Frank A. and Cora A., who died July 8, 1871. June 21, 1870, he married Mrs. Julia E. Way, of Ilion. He is commissioner of highways and has been school trustee, and is one of the representative men of Schuyler.
WAYNE, William, Frankfort, was born in New Scotland, Albany county, June 12, 1849. His father was Anthony Wayne, and his mother Elizabeth (Reid) Wayne. His grandfather, George Wayne, was also born on the family homestead in New Scotland. His great-grandfather, Anthony Wayne, came from Derbyshire, England, about the year 1770. Soon after the close of the war he came to this country and settled in New Scotland. In 1785 he gave a half acre of ground for educational purposes and to-day a new school building stands upon the spot. William Wane was married January 10,1883, to Glenova Becker, of Central bridge, a daughter of Abram and Ellen (Wands) Becker. They have one son, Raymond B. Wayne. Since 1870 has done business as a carpenter and builder, living in Frankfort since 1884, engaging in building selling houses--employing some fifteen men in his business.
WEATHERBEE, Elias B., Warren is a son Brayton A. and Philena H. (Bell) Weatherbee. His grandfather was Alvin, who was a son of Lucius, who came from Bellow's Falls, Vt., about 1805 and built a tannery. He died in 1834, leaving one son, Alvin, born in 1798. He died in 1884 and his wife at an earlier date. They had four children: Brayton A., Alvin E., Emmagene, and Leona. Brayton A. Weatherbee was born July 16, 1820 at Page's Corners. At the age of eighteen he engaged in the grocery business, which he conducted till 1849, when he engaged in milling and tanning. He own 250 acres, grist mill tannery, with one of the best water powers in the country, coming from springs on the farm. The pond is well stocked with trout. He has a fine residence. He has also invented, made and had patented a stone gathering machine which works well. He is director of the First National Bank of Richfield Springs, a stockholder in and director of National Mohawk Valley bank, and was active in securing the railroad to Richfield Springs. He married in 1851, Philena, daughter of Joseph and Harriet (Patterson) Bell, who bore him four children: Rose P., wife of Walton D. Gregory, of Newark N. J.; Elias B., Willard R. and Hattie E., (deceased). Mrs. Weatherbee died in 1880. She was a member of the Universalist church.
WEAVER, Walter, Dolgeville, was born in Oppenheim, July 10, 1868. He received a good common school education, and was then engaged in farming for six seasons. After this he became clerk for a prominent house in Dolgeville, and after serving in that capacity for over two years, he established his present shoe and men's furnishing establishment. Mr. Weaver is of Mohawk Dutch descent, and of Revolutionary antecedents. He is a member of the Good Templars and Knights of S. F. I. He is an active member of the Methodist church, Epworth League, etc.
WEEKS, George S., Winfield is a dealer in lumber, lath and shingles, also runs a planning-mill and sash, door and blind factory, besides being and extensive farmer. He was born in West Winfield, May 3, 1836, a son of Charles Weeks, who came from Ashford, Conn., and settled in West Winfield, about 1825. He died January 31, 1874 aged seventy-two years. His wife was Abigail Snow, who died July 31, 1870, aged sixty-four. They had ten children, of whom four are living: C. Delos, George S., Louisa M. and Emma R. George S. married Phoebe D., daughter of David Burton, now of Ilion, and they have one daughter now living, Nellie L. Weeks. The business was commenced by Charles Weeks in 1857 and continued until 1860, when it became Charles Weeks & Son, remaining so until 1868, when George S. went into the mercantile business in West Winfield, and he then pulled down the buildings and erected what is now known as the Wheeler block. The lumber business and manufactories were run by Charles Weeks until 1870, when George assumed control and has conducted it until the present time.
WEEKS, Hiram, Stark, was born in Amsterdam, May 23, 1825, a son of Levi and Jane (Hollenbeck) Weeks. The grandfather, Levi Weeks, was born on Long Island, and died at Stark. He married Anna Arnold, a sister of Benedict Arnold. Subject's father was born in Montgomery county, and in early life was a carpenter. In 1833 he came to Stark, and bought 140 acres, later added 140 acres more. Served as supervisor and justice. Had fourteen children and raised thirteen: David, Louisa, Hiram, John, Jane, Ann, Solomon, Mariam, Benedict, Laura, Willard, Mariah, and Albert. He died in February, 1890, aged over ninety-one. His wife died February, 1884, aged eighty-four. Subject's mother was born in Stark, daughter of Isaac Hollenbeck, who had four sons and five daughters. Hiram was raised on a farm, received a district school education, and at twenty began for himself as a carpenter, which he followed more or less all his life. He has kept hotel at Starkville, and located, where he now lives, about 1867, on five acres. He owned adjoining 100 acres, his property now comprising three farms of about 400 acres. He served as commissioner on the Republican ticket. He married July 4, 1850, Margaret Lepper, who was born in Amsterdam, a daughter of Jacob and Martha (Paddock) Lepper, natives of Warren and Amsterdam respectively. Her father was a soldier of 1812, and she was one of nine children: William, John, Mary A., Effa, Hanna, Deborah, Elisabeth, Martha A. and Margaret. Jacob, son of Frederick Lepper, was of Holland Dutch decent. His mother was taken prisoner, with two children, by Indians during the Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. Weeks have four children: Harlan, Jennie, died aged twenty-five, Charles and Edwin. They are attendants of M. E. Church.
WEEKS, James N., Warren, was born in Greene county, August 22, 1819, a son of Townsend and Hannah (Nelson) Weeks. His grandfather, Solomon, came from Rhode Island, to Greene county, where he died. He raised a large family. Townsend was born in Greene county in 1796, and moved to Canada on Lake Ontario, where he resided until his death. He had four children: James N., Rob, George amd Rachel A. Subject's mother was born in Greene county, a daughter of James and Berzilla (LaValley) Nelson. He served in the war of 1812, and earlier in the British army. He left a widow and two children: Hannah and Betsy. Subject's mother married for second husband John Lawton, by whom she had one child, Robert. Our subject went with his parents to Canada where he remained two and a half years, then came to Albany county. Since the age of twelve he has supported himself. He had a district school education, and at the age of eighteen began the blacksmith's trade in Greene county, and worked at Albany and other places until 1840, whn he came to Warren and followed his trade at Little Lakes. In 1861 he bought and located on 212 acres where he resides, and carried on farming. He now owns 196 acres, and has served as justice nine years, and assessor many terms, as a Democrat. He married July 28, 1841, Martha, daughter of Joseph and Julia (Tunnicliff) McChesney, by whom he has seven children: Hannah, Conkline, John of Michigan, Nelson who enlisted in the Ninety-second New York Regiment and was killed at Petersburg, Ira of Iowa, James, George, Ida wife of W. Vibber, and Charles. Subject's wife died September 28, 1891, aged seventy-three years.
WEEKS, Levi, Stark, was born at Ford's Bush, Montgomery county, September 9, 1799. In 1820 he was married to Jane Hollenback. When twenty-one years old he began farming at Amsterdam. In 1833 he located where his son Willard now lives. He died February 3, 1890, and his wife about five years earlier, aged eighty-five years. He served as supervisor several terms, and as justice several terms. He was a Democrat. In 1856 he became a Republican. He raised thirteen children: David H., Dr. Benedict A., Hiram, John, Solomon, Willard and Albert, who served in the First N.Y. Light Artillery, and died, aged nineteen, about three weeks after being mustered out of service; Louisa, Jane, Anna, Marion, Laura and Marie, the three latter living. Willard Weeks was born where he now lives, December 11, 1842. He received a common school education and owns his father's homestead of 120 acres, also another farm adjoining of 110 acres. He served as supervisor two terms and justice one term. He is a Republican. He married, August 29, 1882, Samantha Whited, who was born in West Troy, daughter of George W. amd Eleanor (Lyon) Whited. They have two children living: George L. and Clara A. They are members of the M.E. church.
WEIGAND, A. E., German Flats, was born in Berlin, Prussia, April 6, 1853 and there learned the trade of designer and wood carver. He came to Ilion in 1876 and has since been a contractor in the armory, doing all the ornamenting and cheqering on the gun stocks. He was the first to educate women in this art and employ them in America. In 1878 he married Sarah Miller, daughter of Adolphus Miller, a clergyman of Cleveland, O.
WELDEN, Thomas, Stark, was born in Ireland and was a pioneer of Stark. James D., son of Thomas, was born in Stark, November 15, 1796 and lived in Stark all his life. He was in the war of 1812, going as a substitute for David Elwood of Stark. He married Margaret, daughter of John and Christina Cramer, (subject's mother died in April 25, 1860, aged seventy), and reared three children, Moses, Maria and Peggy. He died February 19, 1878. Moses Welden, the oldest, was born May 9, 1822, in Stark, where he has resided since, except one year. He furnished a substitute in the late war in the person of Ephraim Birch. He taught school in District No. 4 of the town of Stark six consecutive winter terms at eleven and twelve dollars per month of twenty -two days and boarded himself. His average daily attendance was from thirty-three to thirty-eight scholars. December 29, 1853, he married Caty, daughter of Abram and Christina (Cramer) Roof. They have four children: Fayette, the eldest, a farmer in the town of Lysander, Onondaga county; Charles a justice of Stark; Frances, wife of Herman Bauder, of stark. They have two children, Dora and Oscar Bauder; and Christina, wife of John L. Cramer, of Lysander, Onondaga county, and they have two children, Welden and Arthur Cramer. The subjects of this sketch have 240 acres of land in the home farm in Stark, 200 acres lying on Oak Flats in Stark, 145 acres lying in Danube, eight-five acres in Minden, Montgomery county, a house and lot at Bookman's Corners, in the latter county, 180 acres in Garoga, Fulton county, forty acres in Constantia, Oswego county and 158 Acres in Lysander, Onodaga county. They also have two lots in Utica, Oneida county.
WELDON, John F., is a native and resident of Schuyler, and was born October 1, 1857. He was first a carpenter, but subsequently turned his attention to farming. His father was John J. Weldon, born in Newport, Herkimer county, and his grandfather was Abel Weldon. In 1883 John F. married Carrie E. Bridenbecker, and they have two children, Bertha M. and W. Raymond.
WELLER, W. F., German Flats, was born in Ilion, August 23, 1863, and after clerking for sometime established his grocery and meat business here in 1889. In 1887 he married Miss Cora Acker; they have a family of three daughters. His parents were John and Anna (Horner) Weller.
WESTERN, Benjamin E., Norway, was born in Norway May 12, 1840. He is a son of Joseph and Hanna Western. (See Samuel J. Western's sketch). Benjamin E. was educated in the common schools. He is a farmer and lumberman. His wife is Sarah M. Wood, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Wheelock and Hannah Wood, who have four sons and six daughters. The children of Benjamin E. Western are: Jennie, Charlie, Cylvina and Walter. Mr. Western is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church at Black Creek.
WESTERN, Samuel J., Norway, was born in Norway November 8, 1830. He was a son of Joseph Western, a son of Samuel Western, one of the first settlers of Norway. Joseph Western spent most of his life in Norway as a carpenter and lumberman. His wife was Hannah Hall, of Norway, by whom he had seven children. Mr. Western was a Democrat. He held the offices of assessor and justice of the peace. He and his wife both died in Norway. Samuel J. Western married Ann Comstock, of Ohio, a daughter of Samuel and Sybil (Cummings) Comstock. Their children are Ella, William, Lillie and Frank. Mr. Western has always been a farmer and lumberman.
WETHERWAX, A. L., Little Falls, proprietor of the Rockton House, Little Falls, has been one of the greatest cheese dealers and manufactures of this State or country. He has made 4,500,00 pounds of cheese, and of this he made 3,500,00 in the Newville factory, which he conducted for eleven years. He took a prize for his cheese at the Centennial exposition in 1876. In 1869 he made for large cheeses for a Christmas dinner in London, England, weighing 980 pounds, and in 1870 made four more for the same party, weighing 1,380 pounds, and for all these got 24 cents per pound, when the best cheese was selling for 17 cents. He first made cheese in Oneida in 1864, and a year latter came to Manheim. In 1868 he came to Newville. In his commission business he was very successful, and in one day (September 10, 1887,) bought $12,700 worth of cheese for J. S. Martin & Co., of No.168 Chambers street, New York. Mr. Wetherwax is a native of this State, and his ancestors came from Germany about two centuries ago. He was born in 1831.
WHEELER, Charles D., Winfield, was born in Leonardsville, Madison county, April 18, 1859, and settled in Winfield in 1880. He was supervisor of Winfield in 1887. He is vice-president of the First National Bank of West Winfield, and is the senior member of the firm of C.D & H.H. Wheeler of the Unadilla Valley Stock Farm. He married, December 2, 1879, Fanny A. Spencer, and they have two sons: Henry Hill and Frederick Spencer. Charles D. is a son of John O. Wheeler, the cashier of First National Bank of West Winfield, and he is a son of Prentiss Wheeler. Charles D. Wheeler was postmaster of West Winfield from 1881 to 1884. He is a member of Winfield Lodge 581, F. & A.M., Richfield Springs Chapter 222, R.A.M., Utica Commandery K.T., No. 3, and the Syracuse Consistory. He was for some years editor and proprietor of the West Winfield News. At the age of fifteen he entered the West Winfield Academy and remained two years. In 1875 he entered the Grammar School at Clinton, and graduated in the class of 1877. His father, John O. Wheeler, present cashier of the First National Bank of West Winfield, was for several years cashier of the First National Bank at Leonardsville, Madison county. His mother was Rebecca E. Hardin, daughter of Dennis Hardin, a prominent banker and politician formerly of Brookfield, Madison county, N.Y.
WHEELER, Clarence J., lives on the farm first settled by Daniel Devendorf, being a dairy and stock farm. He was born in Cedarville, April 20, 1849, and settled on this farm in 1868. He married Jane L. Smith, and they have two children, Clara M., and Mary L. Clarence J. is the only son of Moses H. Wheeler, born May 31, 1823, who was a son of Lewis Wheeler, whose children were: Marcus L., Moses H., Whitney, Gaylord, Phoebe, Cornelia, Maria and Eliza. Lewis was born in Massachusetts, a son of Moses Wheeler, one of the first settlers. He came from Massachusetts and had six children: Moses, Lewis, Humphrey, Prentis, Artemus and James. Mrs. Jane L. Wheeler was born in Winfield in December, 1845, a daughter of Ansel, son of Levi Smith. Levi Smith came from Connecticut and early settled in Winfield. He died April 5, 1855, aged eighty-nine years. His children were: Henry, William, Ansel, Levi, jr., Laura, Sally, Chloe, Deliverance and Anna. Ansel Smith married Araminta Burdick, and they have four children: Levi C., Ansel A., Jane L. and Sarah. Levi Smith, jr., was born in Winfield and settled on this farm, 1834, and lived here until his death, May 27, 1881, aged 91 years. He maried Miss Elizabeth Howard of Winfield.
WHEELER, Henry H., Winfield, assistant cashier of the First National Bank of West Winfield, is one of the firm of C.D. & H.H. Wheeler, proprietors of the Unadilla Valley stock farm. He was for some time a member of the board of education of this town. He was born at Leonardsville, December 29, 1857, and settled in West Winfield, about 1870. He married Julia Tyler, and they have four children: Harry D., Louise W., Stuart T. and Agnes H. Wheeler. Henry H. is a son of John O. Wheeler, the cashier of this bank, and for many years of the bank at Leonardsville. He married Rebecca, a daughter of Dennis Hardin, who for many years was supervisor of Brookfield, Madison county. He was also a prominent banker and politician, having been member of Assembly from his district.
WHEELOCK, Clayton T., Winfield, farmer and cheese manufacturer, runs the North Winfield combination of cheese factories. No. 1 cheese factory, at North Winfield, makes annually about 250,000 pounds from about 600 cows. No. 2, at cedar Lake, makes about 170,000 pounds from about 450 cows, No. 4, in Litchfield, makes about 125,000 pounds, No. 5, in Marshall, Oneida county, makes about 75,000 pounds, during the six months that they run, from about 250 cows. No. 6, in Litchfield makes about 150,000 pounds from about 350 cows. This cheese is manufactured for export principally to London and Liverpool. Clayton T. Wheelock was born in Litchfield, October 28, 1836, a son of Samuel, who died December 9, 1864, aged seventy-one. He was a son of Alvin Wheelock, who came from Massachusetts in 1791, one of the first settlers of Litchfield, on the farm adjoining the one settled by Elijah Snow in 1786, called first Snow's Bush, afterwards Wheelock's Hill. Clayton T. married Sarah L., daughter of Benjamin Kershaw of Litchfield and the have two children: Samuel C. and May L. Samuel C. married Jennie Davis, and has three daughters: Nettie M., Mina D., Mabel E. May L. Wheelock married Dr. John H. Stephens, of West Winfield, and they have one daughter, Edna J. Stephens.
WHIPPLE, Benjamin A., Stark, is a son of Addison and Janette (McDonald) Whipple. His grandfather, James came from Connecticut, a pioneer of Springfield, Otsego county, and was twice married. His first wife bore him six sons and five daughters. Addison was born in Springfield, and was a farmer and manufacturer. He died in 1867, aged sixty-three, and his wife in January, 1891, aged eight-four. They raised five children: John J., Anna W., Joseph S., Eugene M. and Benjamin A. The latter was born in Springfield, February 7, 1847. At nineteen he began life for himself by farming on the homestead. At twenty-one he began the manufacture of cheese at Springfield, and a year later came to Van Hornesville, and ran a cheese factory two years. He then spent three years in Illinois in the sewing machine business. In 1875 he bought the cheese factory at Van Hornesville, and in the winter of 1876 came to this village and has had charge ever since. The factory was established in 1868. He was also engaged in mercantile business five years. In February, 1892, he was elected town clerk. He married October 14, 1868, Frances A. Drew, daughter of Chauncey P. and Elizabeth (Corbin) Drew of Springfield, and they have one child, Jessie B. He is a Democrat in politics.
WHIPPLE, William, Fairfield, was born in Fairfield, February 6, 1833. He has always been a farmer and a successful one. He owns 149 acres of land and a dairy of thirty-seven cows, besides owning property in the village of Fairfield. His father also lived in Fairfield, and his grandfather came from Rhode Island. One of his ancestors, Thomas Whipple, helped to throw the tea into Boston Harbor, and William Whipple signed the Declaration of Independence. These men were uncles of William Whipple's grandfather. Mr. William Whipple is a Mason, a member of the Grange, and a Democrat. He married miss Margaret Alexander in 1862, and they have one daughter, Addie J., who is living at home with her parents.
WHITE, Franklin, Warren, was born in Braintree, Mass., and is a son of Calvin and Margery White, who were the parents of four sons and four daughters. Our subject moved to Albany when young and engaged in the hotel business at the stock yards. In 1871 he located on a farm of 100 acres west of Little Lakes and now own 200 acres. His wife Ann E. Gallup, a daughter of Nathaniel Gallup, was born at Stonington, Conn., October 16, 1799, and died at the residence of our subject in April 1878. He was twice married. Mrs. Franklin White received an excellent education in Albany Female Academy, and graduated from a private academy in 1850. She is the mother of five children: Martha G., Frank H., Anna E., Alice and Helen. Mr. and Mrs. White are members of the Episcopal church. Their son, Frank H., who was born in Albany, May 26, 1863, has charge of the farm and is a breeder of Hambletonian horses.
WHITEFIELD, Walter, German Flats, was born in Manchester, England, in 1844, and came to America in 1850, settling in Ilion. He was for many years in gun shops here, in the pistol department. He entered the armory in 1859, but has been in the Typewriter company since its organization. In 1861 he enlisted in 101st New York Infantry, and served two years. Mr. Whitfield is a Mason, and a member of the Little Falls Commandery, No. 26. In 1865 he married Emily Iles, and they have three children living.
WHITEMAN, Henry, Little Falls, was born in the town of Thompson, Windham county, Conn., 1819. His father died when he was nine years old, leaving a wife and three small children. He and his sister were put to work in a factory immediately after his father's death. In the year 1830 his mother with her children moved to Utica, N. Y., caring for them by taking boarders. He was engaged in various pursuits until 1846, when he engaged in mercantile business, continued two years at De Ruyter, Madison county, N. Y. He was married in De Ruyter, in 1846, to Mary Jane Colkins, daughter of Washington Colkins, of Earlville, N. Y. He followed other occupations until 1854, when he removed to Little Falls, N. Y., where he has since remained. In 1869 he received the appointment of collector of canal tolls from a Democratic canal board, which position he held for four successive years. In 1873 he engaged as general agent for the Warrior Mower Machine Company, which position he held for about sixteen years. His business as general agent took him through all the northern States and territories. During his engagement with the Warrior Mower Company he made a fine geological collection, which will compare favorably with any private geological collection in the State. In 1870 he was appointed overseer of the poor of the town of Little Falls, which position he yet retains.
WHITING, A. L., Little Falls, was born in Middleville. He received his education in the schools of Ilion and Middlefield. After leaving school he was identified with mercantile transactions for some time, and in 1874 commenced with Victor Adams with whom he now holds the important position of general superintendent of the factory. Mr. Adams being also postmaster of town, which requires considerable attention. Mr. Whiting is an Odd Fellow, K. of P., and a member of other social organization. He married Miss Waldruff and they have three children.
WHITING, James F., Fairfield, was born in Oneida county, May 8, 1847, but moved to Middleville with his parents at the age of twelve. February 4, 1864, at the early age of seventeen, he enlisted in Company C., Second N. Y. Heavy artillery, which served as foot soldiers and participated in seventeen battles with the Army of the Potomac. In August,1864, he was appointed corporal; in October, 1864, sergeant, and in June, 1865, first sergeant of his company; was honorably discharged after the close of the war, the 29th day of September, 1865. In 1868 Mr. Whiting married Carrie Farrell and they have had six children, three sons and three daughters. Mr. Whiting started his tin, sheet iron and stove, hardware and plumbing business, and by strict attention to business has enlarged it each year.
WHITNEY, H. P., is a native and resident of German Flats, and is one of the trustees of Ilion; he was a farmer's son and taught school for twelve terms before going in business. He was principle of the Ilion school for a year and a half, and has been school commissioner and excise commissioner. He went into the boot and shoe business May 1, 1891. Mr. Whitney is a Mason. In 1860 he married Miss Phila West, and they have one daughter, the wife of George D. Richardson.
WHITNEY, Henry G., German Flats, was born in German Flats, January 28, 1836, and remained on the farm until about twenty-eight years of age, when he went into the livery business and remained up to the present year. He is interested in trotting stock. He is a Mason and an active Republican. In February, 1872, Mr. Whitney married Elmira L. Folts and they have one son, Frank C., who is a law student.
WHOLAHAN, John J., Winfield, who has been over overseer of the poor for three terms, was born in Clinton, Oneida county, November 26, 1854, and came to Winfield in June 1879. He married Nellie L. Wilcox, by whom he has two children: Olive M. and John W. John J. is a son of Michael Wholahan, who settled in Clinton about 1846. His wife is a daughter of Elijah Wilcox, a native of this town, who was a son of Hezekiah, one of the first settlers.
WICKS, J. D., German Flats, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., January 29, 1849, and learned his profession of electro-metallurgist in New York city. He has been in Ilion five years and does all the electro-plating for the Typewriter company. He is an Odd fellow, and a member of royal Arcanum and Knights of Pythias. In 1873 Mr. wicks married Ida A. Crissey and they have one son, Charles d. wicks. J. Leander Wicks, father of J. D., is a sea captain, and the family have all been seafaring men for generations.
WIGHTMAN, Abel G. (deceased) was born in Warren July 21, 1832, a son of Timothy and Phila (Bronson) Wightman. The grandfather was Allen, whose ancestors came from the Isle of Wright. Allen was born in Connecticut and came here about 1800, and settled east of Jordanville, where he resided until his death. His wife was a Miss Randall, and they raised four sons and two daughters. Timothy A. was born in Warren in 1800. He was a justice and was a Republican. He was twice married; his first wife bore him two children: Mary Mix and our subject. His second wife was Catharine Sanford, who died in July 1882. Subject received a district and academic education and was an active Republican. In early life he went to Illinois and Utah, and speculated in stocks. He was also a surveyor. He returned to Warren and engaged in farming: and in later days he followed the saddler's business. He died September 23, 1883. He married, January 5, 1865, Jane L. Sanford, born September 11, 1837, a daughter of Rodney and Catherine O. (Mix) Sanford, a descendant of the Sanfords who landed at Plymoth Rock. He was born at New London, and was a soldier in the Revolution. He was at New York at the evacuation and followed the sea for many years. In November, 1800, he came with his family to Warren, and located on ninety acres, one mile west of Jordanville. His wife was Lavinia Egerton, who bore him nine children: Joseph, Kingsbury, Asa, Giles, Ralph, Ezra, Rodney, Lavinia and Laura. Rodney was born in Connecticut February 17, 1794, and died in 1852, aged fifty-eight. He was a colonel of militia. He owned 160 acres at his death, and his wife survives. She was born in Columbia March 28, 1816, daughter of John and Margaret (Ovendorff) Mix of German Flats.
WILCOX, Charles, farmer, near Little Falls, is a son of Benjamin Wilcox, one of the largest farmers of the township. He owns a magnificent farm of 250 acres, used for dairy purposes and has a herd of fifty-five cows. In 1878 Mr. Charles Wilcox married Alice Ecker, and they have two sons, Arthur and George. Mr. Wilcox has devoted all his life to farming, and is a member of the Grange, and a Republican in politics.
WILCOX, Herbert H., Winfield, was born in Winfield, November 23, 1853. He married Florence O. Babcock; they have one son, Felmer. Herbert H. Wilcox is a druggist. He was twelve years justice and has been town clerk two terms. W. Wilcox of this town, who was a son of Hezekiah, native of Connecticut, was one of the first settlers of this town.
WILCOX, Newton Peleg, Litchfield, was born on the farm adjoining this, May 27, 1844. He is a son of Rodney, who was a native of Stonington, Conn. and settled in this town where he died, February 22, 1883, aged seventy-five years. His wife, Emily Davis, was a native of Newark, and died, February 20, 1884. P. N. Wilcox married Mary E. Hull, a native of Noble county, Indiana, and a daughter of Noah I. Hull They have four children: Glen Avery, Joe E., Mabel H. and Charles N.
WILLIAMS, J. K., Fairfield, is a native of Fulton county and started life as a farmer, working for J. W. Windecker. On March 25th, 1862, he began cheese making, making dairy cheese at home for J. H. Ives, near Fairfield village. He also works a 200-acre farm for Mr. Ives and has been doing so for seven years. In 1868 Mr. Williams married Miss Carney and they have seven children. The annual make of the factory is about 25,000 pounds.
WILLIAMS, Richard, a farmer, of Litchfield, was born in Wales, in November, 1845. He came to American in 1870, and settled in this town in 1880. He married Sarah Ann Lewis, and they have two children: William and Sarah Ann. Richard was a son of Robert and Mary Williams, residents of Wales. Mrs. Sarah Ann Williams, was a daughter of William Lewis, a native of Wales, who settled in this town on the Gulf road in 1853, and lived there until he died November 22, 1891, aged seventy-one years. William Lewis married Sarah Morris and they had seven children: William, jr., Sarah Ann, William Henry, Mary Jane, Margaret E., Traphena A. and Florence P. Robert Williams married Mary Peters, by whom he had seven children: Margaret, William, Ann, Lewis, Richard, Robert, jr., and John Williams.
WILLIAMS, Roger F., was born on the farm where he now lives, in Winfield, December, 18, 1840. He is a son of Anthony Williams, who was born in Rhode Island, in 1799, and came to Columbia with his father, from Rhode Island. They came with an ox team all the way, and built a log house, and cleared the farm. Here he lived until his death. Anthony Williams settled on the farm now occupied by his son, Roger, about 1830, where he died in 1873, aged seventy-four years. Roger Williams married Nelia Ginbey, and they have two daughters: Emma J., who married S. B. Cruikshank, and Ida H. Roger F. Williams is one of the representative farmers of Winfield and owns about 100 acres.
WILLIAMS, Stillman, Winfield, dairy farmer of Winfield, was born November 23, 1830. He is a son of Anthony Williams, a native of Rhode Island, born April 15, 1799, who came to this town with his father, Festus Williams, who was one of the first settlers of Columbia, near Miller's Mills. His father was John, a Baptist minister of the Revolution, and chaplain under General Washington. Stillman Williams married, 1860, Lydia King, and they have eight children living: Jane, Nellie, Mary, Hortence, Alberta, Ada, Stillman, jr., and Henry Williams.
WILLIAMS, Thomas, Ohio, was born in Remsen, Oneida county, 1n 1837, a son of Lewis R. Williams, a native of Oneida county, where his father was a very successful farmer. The wife of Lewis R. was Eleanor R., by whom he had eight children. He died in 1877 and his wife is still living. Thomas was reared on a farm and at twenty-one years of age started in life for himself. for a number of years he worked for Gardner Hinckley. In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-first New York Infantry, Company C, under Captain Moon, and served three years. He was in battles of South Mountain, 2d Antietam, Wilderness, Gettysburg, Shenandoah Valley, etc., and at the Wilderness he was wounded in the breast, but remained with the regiment. While with Sheridan he was wounded in the left shoulder and was taken to Saterlee Hospital, Philadelphia, and remained four months, and was discharged. At the close of the war he returned to Gang Mills and worked for Gardner Hinckley. He then went to Ohio and purchased a farm, on which he remained three years and returned to Gang Mills and worked for Hinckley & Ballou six years. In 1880 he returned to Ohio and has since lived on a farm. In 1872 he married Helen Hagadorn, a native of Morehouseville, by whom he has had these children: Alida, Ella, Mary J., Annie and Ira, all of whom are living. Mr. Williams is a Republican and has been highway commissioner and justice of the peace two terms. He is a member of G. A. R. Thomas Post at Prospect, N. Y.
WILLIAMSON, Norman J., was born on the farm adjoining the one which he now lives in Warren April 5, 1856, a son of Cyrus and Eliza C. (Dewey) Williamson. His grandfather was Garrett and his father Samuel Williamson. Cyrus Williamson was born where the subject now resides September 27, 1815. He died October 1, 1881. His widow survives. She is a daughter of Hubbard and Clarissa (Tanner) Dewey, of St. Lawrence county. N. J. Williamson received a seminary education, is a Republican and has been assessor. He owns the homestead of eighty-five acres. He married January 16, 1879, Louisa E., daughter of Stephen and Mary (Lombard) Edgett. They have two children, Mabel E. and Bessie H.
Daniel C., Russia was born in Newport in 1819. His father
was James, a son of Westel Willoughby. James was born in Massachusetts
in 1773. His wife was Annie Cole, a native of Massachusetts, by whom he
had two sons and ten daughters, of whom two daughter and subject only
are living. Mr. Willoughby came to Norway in 1795, where he built the
first house and barn. During the winter seasons he made spinning wheels.
His brother, Dr. Westel Willoughby, was one of original professors of
Fairfield Seminary, and was the founder of Willoughby College of Ohio.
He practiced medicine in Herkimer county many years. His wife was Sallie
Cole, an aunt of Daniel C. James Willoughby died in 1856, and his wife
in 1854 at the age of seventy-six years. Daniel C. has lived on the farm
where he was born sixty-eight years. In 1840 he married Caroline M. Carpenter,
a native of Cold Brook, born in 1823. Her parents were Daniel and Temperance
(Warfield) Carpenter, natives of Russia. To subject and wife were born
WILSON, A. C., Fairfield, is a native of the town of Manheim and was born in 1847. He works the Teall farm, owned jointly by Mrs. Wilson and her sister, Marion E. Teall, a farm of 200 acres and a herd of forty cows. In 1875 he married Miss Sarah C. Teall, daughter of S. Teall, and they have a family of three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. Wilson has been a successful man and has been commissioner of highways. He is a member of the grange and of the Republican party. His grandfather was a resident of Jefferson county and his father, Daniel C. Wilson, was a well-known citizen of Fairfield.
WINDECKER, Fred, is a native and resident of Fairfield, and a son of J. W. Windecker. He has farm of 165 acres and keeps a dairy. He was four years in Danube, and was road commissioner in that town for some time. In 1872 Mr. Windecker married Sarah C. Neely, and they have two children. He is a member of the Grange and an active Democrat.
WITHERSTINE, William, Herkimer, was born in the town of Herkimer September 25, 1853. His father, David Witherstine, who was a farmer, died on the 8th day of April, 1864, leaving a widow and five children; Charles, Horace, William, Margaret and Martha, being the only children of a second wife. The Witherstine family is one of the old families of New York State. His grandfather, John Witherstine, was a soldier of the Revolution, having entered the American army at the opening of hostilities in the Mohawk Valley and served with honor during the entire struggles of the colonies for independence. His mother, Margaret Petrie, was a granddaughter of Dr. Wm. Petrie, who amputated the limb of general Herkimer after he was wounded at the battle of Oriskany. Mr. Witherstine received his early education in the common schools of Herkimer and afterwards attended school at Fairfield Seminary, from which he graduated in 1878. After teaching school for some time he entered the law office of Smith & Steele, in Herkimer and began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar October 10, 1884, and the following May opened an office in the Democrat Block in Herkimer, where he is still engaged in a large and increasing practice of his profession. He has been twice elected justice of the peace and for five years has been a member of the Board of Education, of which he is now president. He has always taken a deep interest in schools, and is identified with all the social and benevolent enterprises of the village. In the spring of 1892 he was elected to office of president of the village by the largest majority ever given to candidate for that office, thus showing the high esteem in which he was held by the citizens of that village. Mr. Witherstine was married December 25, 1878, to Miss Mary Western of Norway, Herkimer county, N. Y., and has two children, Charles J. and Emma. He has only one brother now living, Dr. H. H. Witherstine, a prominent physician, also mayor of Rochester, Minn. Mr. Witherstine is a member of the Reformed church of Herkimer, and also one of the Y. M. C. A. of the same place.
WILSON, Sylvester, Herkimer, was born in town of Stark august 15, 1847. He received his education in the schools of Herkimer and commenced life as a painter and marble cutter, in which lines he has worked here for eighteen years, being engaged in one shop for nine years. In 1875, Mr. Wilson was elected constable and chief of police under the old board. In 1887 he was appointed chief under the new board of the paid department, which position he most acceptably filled until 1891, when he was elected sheriff of Herkimer count, being elected in a Republican county of 800 to 1,000 majority upon a Democratic ticket with a majority of 178. Sheriff Wilson is a leader of the celebrated Glee Club which has participated for so many years in political campaigns. His wife was Miss Jennie Hall of Norway. They have two children.
WINEGAR, Robert D., German Flats, was born in Ilion May 27, 1869, and learned with his father the art of rifling gun barrels. His father, Richard L. Winegar, was for thirty-three years a contractor in the Remington armory, and when he left to look after interests in the south, Robert D. Succeeded him, and is the youngest contractor in the armory. He is a Mason, a member of the Knights of Birmingham, and of the Veiled Prophets and Knights of Pythias. Mr. R. L. Winegar achieved fame by making the highest score in world at Creedmore, shooting 223 points out of a possible 225 at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.
WOLF, Frederick, Dolgeville, was born in Germany April 23, 1843. Prior to coming to this country, Mr. Wolf was engaged on the manufacturing business from 1858 to 1880 in Leipsic. In the latter part of 1880 he came to America and entered the employ of Alfred Dolge (who is his brother -in-law) as overseer of the lumber and felt departments. Mr. Wolf has been very active and influential in local affairs here. He was the originator of the German Club, also a member of Volunteer Fire Department for ten years, a director of the Aid Society, a member of the school board, also of the health board and of other associations both social and benevolent. His wife was Miss Horn, a sister of Mrs. Alfred Dolge, and Mr. Wolf has a family of five children living. His oldest son is an assistant in Mr. Dolge's New York office, and his oldest daughter is a teacher in Dolgeville Kindergarten School.
WOOD, B. W., assistant postmaster of West Schuyler, is a native of this town, and a son of Harvey Wood. His grandfather was Benjamin Wood, and his great-grandfather Thomas Wood, who came from Massachusetts in 1770. The family is on of the oldest in the town, and Mr. Harvey Wood was town clerk for many years. Mr. B. W. Wood conducts a general business in West Schuyler, and is assistant postmaster.
WOOD, Henry W., Frankfort, was born in Newport, N. Y., November 23, 1842. He was one of four children of William H. and Jane (Perkins) Wood, of Herkimer county. His grandfather was George Wood, a native of Massachusetts. Henry W. Lived in the town of Fairfield until he enlisted September, 1862, in Company F., One Hundred and Fifty-Second New York Volunteers. He remained in the army until the close of the war in 1865, seeing service at Deep Bottom, Turkey Bend, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Ream Station, Weldon Railroad, and Burgess Farm. He married March 24, 1866, Margaret Mixter, one of ten children of John and Margaret (Ackerman) Mixter of Danube. In 1867 he engaged in the hotel business in Mohawk for one year; he was then a truckman for nine years; was a presser and shipper of hay for five years, and in 1880 he went into the hotel business at Frankfort, where he has since remained as the popular landlord of the Central House. He was elected president of the village in 1887 and '88 and March 1890, he was appointed superintendent of Section 4 of the Erie Canal (comprising thirty miles of canal, with twenty-two locks and fifty-two bridges). In the spring of 1892 he presented Frank Mann Post G. A. R. No. 604, with a Grand Army Memorial (costing $60), which act was deeply appreciated by the citizens of the town.
WOOD, D. R., Fairfield, is one of the prominent farmers of Fairfield, owing 625 acres of dairy farms. He raises a large number of young stock annually to keep his large herd of milch cows. His grandfather, John Wood, was a Revolutionary soldier in Rhode Island, but afterwards settled in this State. In 1844 Mr. D. R. wood married Lydia Emily Fenner, daughter of G. F. Fenner, and they have a family of four sons and five daughters. Mr. Wood is a Democrat and all of his sons except one are the same.
WOOD, John, Schuyler, is a native of Schuyler and one of its best known citizens. He was born March 14, 1845. His father was Calvin Wood, also a native of Schuyler. His grandfather, Thomas wood, came from New England. In 1867 Mr. Wood married Gussie Horton, and they have three daughters, Fanny, Mary and Mrs. Lawren Rose. Mr. Wood is engaged in dairy farming, but is widely known as one of the leading horseman of the State.
WOOD, Palmer M., Herkimer, was born in the town of German Flats, January 18, 1839, in which vicinity his ancestors located early in the century, originally coming from New England. Mr. Wood was educated in the schools of this vicinity and those of Columbia and Warren. He followed farming until 1880, having purchased 155 acres of land in the spring of 1860. In 1868 he married Jennie M. Ward, a daughter of Artemas Ward, and has a fmaily of four daughters and two sons. Mr. Wood has been identified with political matters in a marked degree, being the accredited manager of Warner Miller's campaign. In 1879 he was elected Herkimer county clerk, which office he held for six years. In 1881 he was chairman of the Republican county committee, holding this position until 1887, and in 1878 was chairman of the Board of Supervisors. Mr. Wood is a Mason and identified with other local and benevolent institutions. He is largely interested in real estate in Herkimer and also at Kettle Falls, Washington, and is largely engaged in the coal and wood traffic here.
WOODARD Brothers, blacksmiths and wagon makers. This firm is composed of Oscar B. and Alonzo B. Woodard, the business having been under this name since 1861, at which time they succeeded their father, Lyman Woodard, who had conducted a shop here since 1841 when he came from Augusta. The business has been run by this family over a half century. Lyman Woodard married Rachel Smith and they had nine children, of whom four are living, as follows: Oscar B., Alonzo B., Charles O. and John N. Oscar married Clara Eckler, who died November 28, 1882. She left no children. Alonzo B. married Aurrilla A. Brockway, and they have no children. Rachel Smith Woodard was born May 3, 1809, Lyman Woodard was born April 16, 1811, and died July 18, 1869. Rachel Woodard, his wife, died February 18, 1890.
WOODHULL, W.B., M.D., Russia, was born in Painesville, Ohio, May 12, 1858, a son of Josiah, a son of Richard Woodhull, a native of England, who came to Long Island, where he died, about 1830. Josiah Woodhull was born in Long Island in 1829, and was a contractor and builder. He married Amanda Strong, a native of Long Island, by whom he had two sons, W.B. being the oldest. He was educated in the public schools of Long Island and in St. Barnabas Hall Academy, graduating from the latter in 1873. He spent one year at sea, three years as clerk and one year as merchant. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine with Dr. H.M. Ives, at Hastings, and afterwards graduated from New York University in 1882. He immediately began practicing his profession, coming to Poland in 1885, where he has been very successful. In 1882 he married Mary, daughter of John and Helen (Sperry) Ackley, of Connecticut, and they have two children, Helen and Clarence S. He is a Republican, a member of Herkimer County Medical society, and a member of South Side Lodge, No. 493, F. & A.M., in Long Island.
WOOSTER, Daniel P. B., Newport, a native of Newport, is a son of Sherman and Cornelia (Smith) Wooster. His mother died in 1845. His father was a son of Sherman and Sallie (Buel) Wooster, who settled in Newport in 1804. Both the father and grandfather were Universalists in religious views and Democrats in politics. Daniel Wooster was born February 29, 1840. He married Caroline Kuhn, daughter of Gotlieb and Mary Kuhn, September 1, 1868.
WOOSTER, Joseph T., Newport, is a native of Fairfield, Herkimer county, and a son of Dr. Joseph and Nancy Pickert Wooster, who settled in Middleville about 1830 from Oneida county as a physician, which profession he followed until his death in 1846. His wife, Nancy, died in 1887. They had two children, Elizabeth, who died in 1884, and Joseph T., who was born in May, 1844. He entered the Newport National Bank as cashier in 1874, which position he has since held. September 27, 1888, he married Elda A., daughter of Elisha Smith. They have two sons, Joseph T. Jr., and Charles S. Mr. Wooster's mother was a native of Manheim, Herkimer county, N. Y.
WORDEN, Jefferson, Russia, was born in Remsen, Oneida county, March 23, 1838. His father was Isaac, a son of John Worden, who was for many years a resident of Oneida county, afterwards coming to Russia. His wife was Rebecca Clyde, a native of New England, by whom he had five sons. Mr. Worden died about 1848, and his wife died in 1862, at the age of 102. Isaac Worden was born in Oneida county, and there married Asia Nichols, a native of that county. They had eleven children. Mr. Worden was a farmer and lumberman. His wife died about 1840 and he married Desire Clough, by whom he had one child. Mr. Worden died in 1877, and his second wife in 1887. Subject came to Russia at the age of twenty-one. In 1859 he married Lavina Farley, a native of Prospect, born in 1843. They had six sons and six daughters. Mr. Worden is a farmer and lumberman. He has always been a Democrat.
WRIGHT, George A., Little Falls, was born upon the old Wright homestead, which has descended into his possession. It contains 116 acres of dairy land, upon which he keeps about twenty-five head of stock. His family are of revolutionary antecedents, and have lived for many generations in this town, and have been identified with its best interests, both political and social, ever since settling here. Mr. Wright has served as commissioner of highways, inspector of elections, etc. He married Julia Vedder, of Stark. They have one child, Dayton Wright.
WRIGHT, Grant B., Danube was born on the old farm of 100 acres at Paine's Hollow, which is still in possession of his grandfather, Isaac Wright. About five years ago they moved to Newville and established a general store, which they have since conducted. Grant B. Wright married Nellie Schuyler, a daughter of Lon Schuyler. They have two children, Bessie and Harry. Grant B. has served as tax collector, etc., besides which he is also postmaster of Newville. His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution.
WRIGHT, Isaac, Stark. For six generations the Wright family have lived and tilled the soil in this town. Isaac Wright's father was in war of 1812, and his grandfather was in the War of the Revolution. One brother and three nephews participated in the War of the Rebellion, one of the latter died in Andersonville, and his brother received a wound which ultimately resulted in his death. Squire Wright was born in1815 on the homestead farm. He married Catie M. Deck, by whom he has had seven children, four of whom survive. He owns a dairy farm of 100 acres and keeps twenty-five head of stock. Mr. Wright was elected justice of the peace, which position he held sixteen years. He also served as inspectors of election, commissioner of highways, etc.; inspector of schools in 1838, assessor and notary public.