Source: "Papers read before the Herkimer County Historical Society during
the years 1896, 1897 and 1898" compiled by Arthur T. Smith, secretary of the
society, Herkimer (N.Y.): Citizen Pub. Co., 1923?
Edward A. Brown.
Edward A. Brown was born at Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., October 30th, 1848.
He studied law with his father, Hon. Edward A. Brown, County Judge of Lewis
county, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1871, and commenced the
practice of law in Lowville.
He came to Herkimer in 1872 and was associated with Samuel Earl and George
W. Smith, under the name of Earl, Smith & Brown, which firm for a number of
years did a large and extensive law business.
This firm dissolved in 1876. Afterward and until 1887 Mr. Brown was
associated with Mr. E. B. Mitchell, under the name of Brown & Mitchell. In
1890 Mr. Brown was called to Dolgeville to act as counsel for the large
interestes of Alfred Dolge, where he remained for a number of years.
He came back to Herkimer in 1902 and was associated with his son under the
name of E. A. & E. M. Brown until his death, February 10th, 1912.
Mr. Brown was a Republican and a member of the Constitutional Convention of
1894, and always intersted in public questions and in public improvements,
and believed in doing things well.
He had a courteous and gracious manner and a genial disposition, and was
thorough in his work.
Controbuted by Lisa Slaski
Source: Hardin, George Anson "History of Herkimer County, New York :
illustrated with portraits of many of its citizens" Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason
& Co., 1893, 881 pgs.
Brown, Edward A., Dolgeville, was born at Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., October
30, 1848. He received an academic education and studied law with his
father, the Hon. E. A. Brown, county judge of Lewis county, and was admitted
to practice law by the first general term which sat at Rochester, September
3, 1871. After practicing his profession in Lowville for some time, he
formed a law partnership with Samuel Earl and Judge George W. Smith, of
Herkimer, the firm being known as Earl, Smith & Brown. This firm continued
till July 1, 1872, and did a very large business. Then Mr. Brown formed a
co-partnership with Judge Mitchell, of Herkimer, which continued till the
spring of 1887. Mr. Brown came to Dolgeville in 1890. He does a large
business here, having charge of Alfred Dolge's transactions in this line.
In 1888 Mr. Brown was a presidential elector for Harrison and Morton.
Douglass, Dr. A. J., German Flats, was born in Lewis county in 1837 and
graduated from the Long Island College Hospital in 1872. He has practiced
medicine in Ilion since 1875. He has also been prominently connected with
the school board, and has invented a blackboard crayon rack that is
attracting much attention among educators. In 1892 Dr. Douglas was elected
president of the village of Ilion. In 1872 he married Mary D. Chittenden.
They have one son, Adelbert C.
Contributed by Lisa Slaski
Source: Churchill, John C., " Landmarks of Oswego County, New York"
Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason, 1895, 1320 pgs.
Bulkley, Justus Lyman, M. D., was born in Fairfield, Herkimer county, N. Y.,
August 20, 1832, a son of Peter H. of the same town, whose parents were
Peter and Sally (Mapes) Bulkley. The original stock was Scotch-Irish. The
mother of our subject was Philenia, daughter of Russell and Mary (Stokes)
Sawyer. The parents of our subject removed, when he was a year old, to
Martinsburgh, Lewis county, N. Y., where ten years later the father died,
and the family was broken up and scattered. Justus received his education
in the academies of Martinshburgh and Lowville, and he began the study of
medicine with William S. Bulkley, his brother, beside whom he had one
brother, Daniel G., and two sisters, Lucy A. and Angeline M. Of these,
Lucy, now Mrs. Easton, and Daniel still survivie. In 1853 he continued the
study of medicine with his uncle, Dr. Lyman Bulkley of Sandy Creek, and
began practice in June, 1857, having received diplomas from the New York
Ophthalmic Hospital College, from the Oswego Medical Society, and later from
the Albany Medical College, and an honorary degree of B. A. from Madison
University. July 30, 1857, he married Frances M. Seeley, born in Sandy
Creek April 5, 1838, and they have four children: Minnie Estelle, born March
8, 1859, wife of Marshall C. Robbins of Sandy Creek; Lizzie English, born
October 8, 1861, wife of Cyrus V. Washburn, attorney of Brooklyn; Hattie
Scott, born December 18, 1864, wife of Wilson P. Hamilton of Los Angeles,
Cal.; and J. Lyman, jr., born July 16, 1876, who resides with his parents at
Sandy Creek. About 1866 our subject was appointed medical examiner for
pensions, serving four years. He served as coroner, and was member of
Assembly for the Third District of Oswego county during 1873-4. He was
elected sheriff in 1878, serving three years, and has filled the position of
justice of the peace for the past ten years. On May 10, 1894, Dr. Bulkley
was assaulted in his office by a madman, Francis G. Williams, who was just
released from the Ogdensburg Insane Asylum. The doctor threw off his
assailant after a long struggle, during which he was severely wounded, and
the madman shot himself on the premises a few minutes later. He was
president of the Oswego Medical Society, and one of its censors for many
Contributed by Lisa Slaski