Before the advent of whites, this co., was the seat of several of the principal villages of the
Seneca Nation. Considerable advances had been made in the arts of civilization, and a large
quantity of land had been cleared and was cultivated. Corn, apples, and peaches were extensively
produced. The orchards were destroyed, and the whole region was laid to waste, by Gen.
Sullivan, in 1779. The co. Was included in the Phelps and Gorham Purchase, and in the Morris
Reserve. The latter tract was subdivided into several tracts, generally distinguished as separate
In Sept. 1797, a treaty was held with the Indians at Geneseo, at which they ceded all their
lands in this co. to the whites, except several small reservations. The first settlements were made
about 1790, previous to the extinguishment of the Indian title. The most prominent of the early
settlers were James and William Wadsworth, of Durham, Conn., who located at Geneseo, June
10, 1790. They were large land owners, and by a wise and liberal policy they greatly facilitated
the settlement of the surrounding region. The greater part of the early settlers were immigrants
from New England. York and Caledonia were settled principally by a colony of Scotch.
The Moscow Advertiser and Genesee Farmer, the first paper published in the co., was
commenced at Moscow in 1817 by Hezekiah Ripley. About 1821 it passed into the hands of
James Percival, who removed it to Geneseo and changed the name to
The Livingston Register. In 1829 Anson M. Weed and Allen Warner became
proprietors; an it was successively published by Warner, Percival, Elias Clark, Wm. H. Kelsey,
and Richard M. Miel. In 1835 Miel became sole proprietor. He was soon after succeeded by
D.S. Curtis. In 1837 its publication was suspended. It was soon after revived, and published for
a short time by Hugh Harding. He was succeeded by John Kempshall, who published it until
1840, when it was discontinued.
The Livingston Journal was commenced a t Geneseo in 1822 by Chauncey Morse.
Ashel Harvey was subsequently associated with him. In 1829 Levi Hovey became proprietor; and
it was successively published by Benj. Dennison, HF. Evans, Evans & Woodruff, and Wm. J.
Ticknor. Its publication was suspended in 1834 or '35. In the fall of 1835 the establishment was
purchased by David Mitchell and W. H. Kelsey, who revived the paper under the name of
The Livingston Democrat. It was continued until 1837, when its publication was
suspended. In the fall of that year S.P. Allen became proprietor of the press, and revived the
paper under the name
The Livingston Republican. In Sept. 1846, it passed into the hands of John M.
Campbell; and was successively published by Joseph Kershner and Chas. E. Bronson. In 1849
James T. Norton became proprietor, and is its present publisher.
The Dansville Chronicle was commenced in 1830 by David Mitchell and Benj. Dennison.
Dennison soon retired, and its name was changed to
The Village Record; it was soon after discontinued.
The Western New Yorker was published at Dansville a short time in 18-- by A. Stevens
and Son. It was succeeded by
The Dansville Wing, published by Geo. W. Stevens. Chas. W. Dibble was publisher
about a year, when it again passed into the hands of Stevens, who in 1848 changed the name to
The Dansville Courier. In 1849 or '50 it was passed into the hands of H. D. Smead, who
changed it to
The Dansville Democrat. It subsequently passed into the hands of Geo. A. Sanders, who
removed it to Geneseo and changed the name to
The Geneseo Democrat. In Oct 1857, it was returned to Dansville and published as
The Livingston Sentinel by H.C. page, the present publisher(1860).
The Livingston Courier was commenced at Geneseo in 1831 by C. Dennison. In 1832 it
passed into the hands of Henry F. Evans, and was discontinued in 1833 or '34.
The Livingston Courier was published at Geneseo in 1832 by A. Bennett
The Mount Morris Spectator was commenced in 1834 by Hugh Harding. In 1848 he
united it with the Livingston County Whig and changed its name to
The Livingston Union, under which title it is still published by Hugh Harding(1860).
The Dansville Times was published in 1835 by D.C. Mitchell.
The Nunda Gazette was started in 1841 by Ira G. Wisner. It was continued about 1 year,
when it was removed to mount Morris and its name changed to
The Genesee Valley Recorder. It was discontinued about 1843.
The Dansville Republican was published in 1842 by David Fairchild.
The Livingston County Whig was started at Mount Morris in 1843 by Geo. B. Phelps. It
subsequently passed into the hands of James T. Norton, and in 1848 was sold to Hugh Harding,
who united it with the Mount Morris Spectator.
The Geneseo Democrat was started at Geneseo in 1843 by Gilbert E. Shankland. It was
removed to Nunda in 1847, and in 1848 to Ellicottville, Cattaraugus co.
The Livingston Express, semi-mo., published at Mount Morris in 1843 by J. G. Wisner.
The Mount Morris Daily Whig was issued from the office of The Livingston County
Whig in June 1846, and discontinued in August following.
The Cuylerville Telegraph was started at Cuylerville in 1847 by Franklin Cowdery. In
1848 it passed into the hands of Peter Lawrence, who soon after removed it.
The Dansville Chronicle was soon after started in June 1848, by Richard son & Co., and
was discontinued in 1851.
The Nunda Democrat was started at Nunda in 1848 by Milo D. Chamberlain. It was
The Fountain, mo., was started at Dansville in 1849 by J. R. Trembly, and continued 2
The Dansville Herald was published in 1849 by H.L. & L.H. Rann. In 1857 it was
merged in The Livingston Sentinel.
The Nunda Telegraph was started in 1850 by Chas. Atwood. It was continued abut 1
The Nunda Times was started in Jan 1852 by N.T. Hackstaff. In July following the office
was burned and the paper discontinued.
The Lima Weekly Visitor was started at Lima in 1853 by A.H. Tilton and M.C. Miller. It
was subsequently published by Raymond & Graham and by S. H. Raymond, who changed its
The Genesee Valley Gazette. It was discontinued about 1856.
The New Era was commenced at Hunts Hollow in 1854 by David B. and Merritt Galley,
boys, respectively 15 and 17 years of age. In 1855 it was removed to Nunda ad its name was
The Young America. It was discontinued in about 1 years.
The Letter Box, mo. started at Glen Haven, Cayuga co., in 1857, by J. M. Jackson and
Miss H. N. Austin, was removed to Dansville in 1858, and is now published, by M. W. Simons.
The Dansville Daily Times was commenced in May, 1859, by W. J. Larue, publisher. In
June of the same years its title was changed to
The Dansville Daily Register; and it is still published by Larue; H.C. Page, editor.