Livingston County NY GenWeb
Lost in History - Places and People


As this project develops, information and links will be added. The goal is to post articles and information about pioneers and places that have vanished into history.


Williamsburgh, Town of Groveland.

Williamsburgh has vanished into history on two occasions. Established ca. 1793, it was abandoned a few short years later. Life was renewed in the hamlet in the years 1815 and 1816 with the arrival of the Carroll family and the Fitzhugh family, respectively. Despite the arrival of new families and monies, the tiny hamlet was not able to survive. Over time the neighboring community of Mount Morris became the local center of trade, and Williamsburgh was allowed to slip into history.

Who is Mama Rachel?

A gravestone in Williamsburgh Cemetery is inscribed only with the words "Mama Rachel Aged 96". It is thought she was a slave brought from Maryland by the Carroll or Fitzhugh family ca 1815.

If you have information about "Mama Rachel" send an e-mail to Liz. I would be happy to learn more about her, and add the information to the Williamsburgh section.

Now, the only trace of the community is an obscure Historical marker, and a small rural cemetery. The only clue that noble and proud peoples occupied grand country estates, are the massive and highly-decorated gravestones found in the Williamsburgh cemetery.


Ridge in the Town of Mount Morris.


Ridge grew during the 1820s and 1830s into a busy little community.

A Baptist Church was built; a cluster of homes were erected; a cemetery was established; a Post Office and a trading center soon were added.

Like a lot of similar hamlets and fledgling communities, Ridge failed to flourish as its population drifted to more convenient villages such as Mount Morris and Geneseo. It was not long before Ridge ceased to exist as a community. All that reminds us of what was ... is a road sign and a dot on the map.


Shaker Settlement in the Town of Groveland


The only remnants of this community is a roadside Historical Marker in Sonyea near the prison, and a small cemetery with unmarked gravestones. One of the original buildings, built ca 1837, was moved to the Genesee Village Museum. The Shaker community once encompassed approximately 2000 acres in Sonyea, Town of Groveland.


American Indian Settlements in the Towns of Groveland and Leicester


Three villages existed near the current village of Geneseo. Little Beard's Town, Big Tree and Squawkie Hill. Another, near Mount Morris, called Deyuitga'oh. And, perhaps yet another across the flats near Hampton Corners.


Canawaugus.

A Seneca village two miles west of the village of Avon.

This native settlement is associated with leaders such as Red Jacket (Segoyewatha), Handsome Lake (Ganioda'yo), and Cornplanter (Gaiänt'wakê).


Gibsonville in the Town of Mount Morris.


Gibsonville was situated along the west bank of the Genesee River a few miles upriver from the village of Mount Morris. The location of the extinct village is within the confines of Letchworth State Park.

For more information, see Letchworth Park History.


Jacksonville in the town of Livonia.


Jacksonville was a rural village located on Big Tree road and Clay street north of the village of Hemlock. A historical marker stands on the former site.

For more information, see Jacksonville.


St. Helena in the Town of Castile, Wyoming County.


St. Helena was situated along the Genesee River a few miles downriver from the village of Portageville. The location of the extinct village is within the confines of Letchworth State Park.

Although St. Helena was not in Livingston county, I wish to place it's mention on this page. Letchworth State Park is within the bounds of both counties. And, St. Helena is one of the lost hamlets of Letchworth.

For more information, see Letchworth Park History.



More information to come at a later date.

If you would like to contribute, please e-mail Liz Cornish.


Return to Livingston County GenWeb Homepage

Last Edited Monday, 20-Aug-2012 19:32:52 MDT

© Copyright 2012
Livingston County GenWeb