Search billions of records on

Livingston County NY GenWeb
Death Notices & Obituaries G thru L

This project can grow with your help.

If you would like to contribute information,
please e-mail Liz Cornish.

Leland S. Gardner

Mount Morris Enterprise [Mount Morris, NY]. 22 Feb. 1956: 6. Print.

Asa B. Goff

From The Daily News, Batavia.

of Mt. Morris died yesterday, aged 78 years, Sep. 25, 1900.

Contributor: Diana Holland.

Mrs. Mary J. Goff

From The Daily News, Friday, Nov. 3, 1911.

Age 81 yrs, is dead in MT Morris.

Contributor: Diana Holland.

Andrew Gray

From Ontario County Times 15 April 1874

Andrew Gray, of Ossian, Livingston county, while hauling lumber on the 6th instant, attempted to stop his horses by seizing their heads as they were starting to run down a steep hill, when he lost his footing, was run over by the heavily loaded wagon and almost instantly killed.

Contributor: Darwina Michael, Ontario County GenWeb coordinator

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


Mt. Morris - Fred Gray, 78, died Friday (Oct. 24, 1952) at the home of his son, Chester Gray, in West Sparta following a short illness.

He was born in Groveland and spent his entire life in the West Sparta and Groveland communities where he was engaged in farming and operating a grain threshing outfit.

He leaves his wife, Cora; 12 children, Murray Gray of Dansville, Mrs. George Robinson of Elmira, Orville Gray of Groveland, Mrs. Charles Page of Batavia, Earl Gray of West Sparta, Lawrence Gray of Nunda, Chester Gray, Mrs. Joseph Owens of Salem, N.J., Mrs. Albert Loveland of Linwood, Carl Gray of Mt. Morris, Clarence Gray of West Sparta, and Mrs. Vincent Morgan of Linwood; three sisters, Mrs. Cora Kinney of West Sparta, Miss Ella Gray of Buffalo, and Miss Lillian Gray of New Jersey; five brothers, Ely Gray of Dansville, John Gray of Tuscarora, William Gray of Chippewa Bay, Glenn Gray of Groveland, and Clyde Gray of Detroit, Mich.; several grandchildren and nieces and nephews.

A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Martin Funeral Home in Chapel St. with the Rev. Maurice J. Verduin, pastor of the Mt. Morris Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial will be in Kysorville Cemetery.

[Taken from] News clippings found in Magee farmhouse on Groveland Hill. The newspapers are unidentified but appear to be local. These have been posted with the permission of Anne Magee and transcribed [and contributed] by Anne Magee Tanner.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1892

Theodore C. Green

The younger brother of Dr. L. E. Green, Theodore C. Green, aged 31 years, committed suicide by shooting himself through the head, at his former home in South Dansville, on the 20th instant. He was a successful physician at Hornellsville, very popular, and it is a matter of grave conjecture what caused him to commit the fatal act.

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.

Death of Mrs. Amanda Brayton Griffin.

Our citizens were pained to learn Tuesday, of the death of Mrs. Orville Griffin, who went to her reward on Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock. Mrs. Griffin had been a sufferer for some years, but since January was prostrated with consumption of the bowels, and at length finally succmbed (sic) to the disease.

Deceased was born in Hartford, in 1833, her parents dying when she was seven years of age. She was adopted by the family of Mr. Alanson Wiltsey of Adamsville, where she remained until her marriage. Mrs. John F. Whittemore of Hartford, was her sister. In early life Mrs. Griffin connected herself with the Baptist church, but some twenty years since severed her connection therewith, and became a believer in Spiritualism, and continued such until her death. She was a lady of a retiring disposition, devoted asiduously (sic) to her family’s cares, and was highly esteemed by those with whom she came in contact. She leaves behind her husband, and two boys, the latter aged tweny-one (sic) and fifteen years. Funeral takes place at 11 o’clock to-day and the remains will be laid to rest in the Union Cemetery.

Contributor: Anne Magee Tanner

Local paper. Died on Monday Oct. 23, 1882

By the death of Colonel D. H. Grover, we sustain the loss of one of the oldest residents, as well as one of the most influential business men of our town. Mr. Grover was born in Cayuga county of this State, in 1810, and came with his father to this town in 1816, and has been a resident for about 66 years. His early life was spent on the farm with his father, and as he became older, he made building the choice of his occupation. Very many of the older buildings now standing in town, were either wholly, or in part, built by him. He next began to associate with his trade, the furniture business, and few, indeed, are the home in this community, that do not possess a relic of his handywork. For about fifty years he has been the principal undertaker for the place. In 1856 he associated with Mr. Morris in the business of general merchandise, under the firm name of Grover and Morris, in which connection he has continued for thirteen years, since which time he has conducted his former occupation, to which he with his older son have added a general grocery and boot and shoe business, under the name of D. H. Grover and Son.

Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY Oct 26, 1882 and Livingston Rebublican p 3

Col. David H. Grover, one of the oldest and most repected citizens of Springwater died on Monday and was buried yesterday. His age was 78 years. He was a brother of late Col. Thos. C. Grover and the late Zadoc Grover

He was married to Miss Amanda M. Barnes in 1843, by whom he had three children, one daughter and two sons, who all live to mourn his loss. He lived to see his children settled in life, as well as in business and fairly prosperous.

Local paper Oct 28, 1882

The passing away of Col. D. H. Grover of Springwater, Monday Oct 23, 1882, at the age of 72 removes an old landmark. He came with his parents to this town when he was but six year old, when the smoke of the red Man's wigwam mingled with that from the early settlers's cabin. His father Captain Zadoc Grover, though but a stripling, made it warm for some of the Tories of the Revolution. Some of his brothers were in the war of 1812. He was, himself, a Colonel of Militia for many years, and for more than half a century in active business life as an architect, builder and merchant, and for more than fifty years the undertaker here. He died as he had lived, a firm believer in the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man, that the Good Shepherd who left the "ninety and nine" will not return until the last wander is found and return to the Father's house. He was the last, save one, of seven brothers this side of the "Mistie river," and two of his three sisters yet remain. few, if any among us will be missed more than he. the wife of his youth, two sons and a daughter, he leaves to loss of a dear friend. Many beautiful flowers, a tiny sheaf of ripened grain, and letters of regret were sent by friends from Buffalo and Rochester, also by a business house there, a casket of new design, made of cedar, draped with black. Nothing like it was seen here before.

"we bent to-day o'er a coffined form,
And our tear ell softly down;
We looked our last on the aged face,
Wih it's look of peace--it's patient grace,
And hair like a silver crown.

We touched our own to the clay--cold hands.
From life's long labor at rest,
And among the bossoms white and sweet,
We neted a bunch of golden wheat,
Clasped close to the silent breast.

The blossoms whispered of fadeless bloom,
Of a land where fell no tears,
He ripe wheat told of toil and care,
He patient waiting, the trusting prayer--
The garnered good of the years."

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY October 18, 1883

Eliza Grover

Mrs. Eliza Grover, relict of the late Zadoc Grover, died at the residence of Daniel Hanne at a late hour Tuesday night of heart disease. She was a sister L. B. Field, Esq., of West Sparta, and leaves a daughter, Mrs S. S. Hammond of Philadelphia, and a son, Mr. Leonard Grover, who during her illness was unremitting in his attention to her comfort. she had many acquaintance and friends in this vicinity who will be pained to learn of her death.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY Feb. 3, 1881 p. 3, col. 2

Caroline Grover

Mrs. Caroline Grover, widow of the late Col. Thomas C. Grover of Springwater, died at the residence of D. Bunnell on Church Street yesterday. She had been a sufferer for years, but since her visit to Washington a year or more she had been remarkably active. Two weeks ago she was prostrated by her sickness which proved fatal, her daughter Mrs. C. D. Hess being with her at the time of her death. Mrs. Grover had a large circle of friends in Dansville and in Springwater where she spent so many years of her life, as well as here. there will be many who will regret to learn that she is dead. The funeral will take place from the residence of B. W. Woodruff near the stone mill at one o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville Express newspaper Nov 9, 1894, p 3.

Fred Grover

Coroner Perime of this village held an inquest on Friday to enquire into the death of Fred Grover of Springwater, of which we made mention last week, and it was decided that he came to his death from natural cause. Grover was a hard working man who drank, and he was picked up on the street Wednesday night of last week and died soon after. Dansville Express newspaper Nov 16, 1894, p 3.

It is said that Fred Grover who was found dead in Springwater last week was under indictment for illegal fishing. He never will be tried now but we sure wish he could have been. These illegal fishing indictments are so often so gauzy that they won't hold water.

Shoe Cutter, 30 East, Nunda, NY 1891

Contributor's note: Did not have time read the following newspapers in Oct 2004 at Livingston Co. Historian Office, 5 Murray Hill Drive, Mt. Morris, NY 14510

Livingston Republication, Nov 9, 1899
Dansville Express, Nov 9, 1899, p. 3, col 2
Dansville Express, Nov 16, 1899, p. 3, col 2


Picket Line Post, Jan 25, 1907, p. 4
Mt. Morris Union, Jan 24, 1907 p. 3
Truth, Nunda, Jan 25, 1907 p. 1 col 6

Frederiek H. Grover "A casket trimmer was found dead in bed monday Morning (Jan 21, 1907), his death having occurred during the night. He was 55 years of age and unmarried.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Livingston Republic, Springwater, New York January 8, 1891, p. 2

John J. Grover

an old resident of Springwater died in his home at that place on Jan 5th. 1891. Mr. Grover was one of the old settlers of the town having resided there over 60 years. The immediate cause of his death was pneumonia which owing to his advanced years. He was unable to overcome. He leaves a widow and four daughters. He was generally respected.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Contributor's note: Didn't have time to read in Oct 2004 visting the Historical society.

Henry T. Grover died at Springwater Dec 19, 1903

Mt. Morris Union, Dec 24, 1903, p . 3
Livingston Democract, Dec 23, 1903, p. 3

Contributor's note: His wife below.

Dansville Breeze newspaper, Jan. 16, 1900, p. 2.

Mrs. Henry T. Grover

of Springwater died suddenly last Thursday. She was looking out of the window and saw a man fall from a ladder. She hastened to his assistance, then went to a store to inform the proprietor of the accident and hardly reached the store when she sank into a chair unconscious and died in a few seconds. She was 50 years of age. Her maiden name was Curtice.

Dansville Advertiser newspaper, Jan. 18, 1900. p. 3, col. 2.

Mrs. Henry T. Grover of Springwater died suddenly on the afternoon of Jan. 11. from her home she saw Chester Barbar fall from a ladder and strike on his head. She ran to his assistance and afterwards into the hardware store of Robinson Bros. & Co., where she gasped for breath and soon died, probably from heart disease. Mrs. Grover was about fifty years old, one of the most active of women in church and social cireles. She was greatly beloved and will be sadly missed. Her husband survives and three sisters, Mrs. N. A. Kellogg, Mrs. Ruth A. Marvin, of Springwater, and Mrs. Daniels of Chicago, and one brother, Charles F. Curtice of Springwater.

Livingston Republican Jan 18, 1900
Mt. Morris Union, Jan 18, 1900, p. 2., col. 4

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

May 15, 1905 local paper

Morgan Grover

after working in various stores in his native village for some years he went to Conenus, where he conducted a store for himself. He came to Avoca, New York in 1863 and had reside there since. His parents, a brother, Edward C. Grover of Rochester, and sister Mrs A. J. Nixon of Springwater , his wife and two sons Ledley, Wilson survive him.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville, Advertiser, Livingston Co., NY Feb 3, 1881 p. 3, col 2

Mrs. T.C. Grover

Death of Mrs. T.C. Grover. The serious illness of Mrs. T. C. Grover terminated fatal at 11 o'clock yesterday (Feb 2, 1881) But was not until the previous evening that her friends relinquished hope of her ultimate recovery. He disease was a sort of malarial fever accompanied with chills with which she has been periodically afflicted for the past nine years. Mrs. Grover's maiden nae was Caroline Lucy Chamberlain. She was born in Mass. June 26, 1808, and came to Springwater at ten years of age. Her life has since been spent principally in Springwater and Dansville. The 2d of Sept., 1827 she was married to Col. Thomas C. Grover, a prominent citizen of Springwater who died Sept 8, 1855. Of a family of six children, four are left, two sons, Leonard and Burr, and two daughters, Mrs. C. Dwight Hess and Mrs. Jay Rial. It was a great blessing and comfort to her that her daughter Mrs. Hess could be with her during the last few days of her life. Mrs. Rial who was in Conn., was telegraphed as soon as the mother's death seemed imminent and he is expected here this morning. Mrs. Hess had last night been unable to reach her husband or brothers by telegraph. The funeral services will be held from the residence of Mr. B. W. Woodruff tomorrow near stone mill (Friday) afternoon at one o'clock. Mrs. Grover is widely known in this section where she had many relatives and friends.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Resided: Fleming, Cayuga Co., Springwater, Wayland & Dansville, Livingston Co., New York

OBITUARY: Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY Sept 12, 1855

Col. Grover

Col. Grover has resided in our county three years, We learn that Col. Grover had been West looking for a location, during the past season, and while been absent, contracted a fever, from which he had only recovered sufficiently to bear the journey home, where the diarrhea intervened which rapidly terminated his days.

Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY Dec 22, 1852

Zadock Grover

On the 20th inst. ult., at the residence of his son, J. J. Grover of Springwater, Capt. ZADOCK GROVER, aged eighy three years. (1769) He was long a resident of Springwater, and was the father of Zadoc B. Grover, Esq., of this village, and of Col. T. C. Grover and brothers. He was cheerful, happy man, ever wearing a smile for every friend. Proverbially industrious and prudent.

Contributor's Note: OBITUARY; Newspaper R.D.D. Rundel Liberty, Rochester, New York Dec 25, 1852 p 3 col 3.
Zadock Grover is my GGGG Grandfather.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Newspaper: Danville Express, Livingston Co., New York Oct 14, 1886

Leonard B. Grover

Leonard B. Grover Last Friday afternoon died of Bright's disease in Springwater where some fifty-one years ago he was born. For some eighteen days he was ill before leaving Dansville, when he went to the home of Mr. Henry Ford of Springwater, being there nearly three weeks, up to the closing hour. The kindness and attention of Mr. and Mrs. Ford and friends during Mr. Grover's sickness and death were as unceasing and tender as through to the closest and dearest of kindship. Mr. Grover was only son of Zadock H. and Eliza O. Grover, there but one other child, Mrs. Spencer Hammond of Philadelphia. Some three or four years ago he gave up a three years residence and business as insurance broker in Philadelphia on account of the lliness and subsequent death of his mother, and since that time lived mostly in Dansville. The funeral services occurred at Mr. Ford on Sunday, the Rev. Mr. Huster officiating. The remains were brought here and laterred in Greenmount cemetery the same day at 1:30 p.m.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Dansville Express, Livingston Co., NY Dec 22, 1852

Capt. Zadock Grover

On the 20th inst. ult., at the residence of his son, J. J. Grover of Springwater, Capt. ZADOCK GROVER, aged eighy three years. (1769) He was long a resident of Springwater, and was the father of Zadoc B. Grover, Esq., of this village, and of Col. T. C. Grover and brothers. He was cheerful, happy man, ever wearing a smile for every friend. Proverbially industrious and prudent.

Contributor's Note: OBITUARY; Newspaper R.D.D. Rundel Liberty, Rochester, New York Dec 25, 1852 p 3 col 3.
My direct line.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

Cayuga Co, NY Cayuga Patriot newspaper 5 Jan 1843

[died] 9 Dec 1842 age 72 (1770) Early settler.

Livingston Republican, Dec 20, 1842, p. 2

Died age 77 (1765)

The Lima Recorder, March 8, 1888, page 1


Thurs. January 5, 1843; DIED: at Springwater Valley at the 9th? ult inst. (meaning Dec 9, 1842) at the residence of his son the Hon. John Grover in the 77th yr, of his age. He was a native of Connecticut & in 1796 he immigrated to that fertile region of this state now known as Cayuga Co. in the vicinity of Auburn (north of Fleming). With him came 3 Grover families. The place of location was called GROVER Settlement a name which it retains till this day. After remaining at that place for several years he removed to this village (Auburn).The place was then within the limits of the old town Aurelius of which the deceased was the supervisor for some 10-15 years. Grover Settlement is now within the town on the subdivision of the town of Aurelius when the embraced the present towns of Aurelius, Auburn, Fleming & part of Springport. When arrangements were being made to set off the town now called Fleming, it was proposed by the inhabitants of call it "GROVER" as a testimony of respect to the deceased one of its founders but (political considerations) named it Fleming. On March 30, 1779 (should be 1799) he was appointed by the council a Justice of the Peace & continued in that office most of the time till 1835, within the intermediate time he was elevated to one of important & orduous stations. He was for 36 years one of the Judges of Cayuga Co. & in 1806, 1807 he represented Cayuga as a Republican in the assembly He contributed much towards establishing the county seat in Auburn.

Source: Livingston Co Historical Society, New York - Newspaper Livingston Republic 12/20/1842 page 2 and Seymour Library, Auburn, NY History Room - In "Cayuga Patriot" newspaper holdings abstracts 1840-1847.

Contributor's Note: He was mentioned in his brother William Grover, Springwater, Livingston Co., New York., Will on 1/12/1841.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO

The Dansville Herald, Livingston Co., New York Nov 30, 1859

Hon. Salmon G. Grover

Hon. Salmon G. Grover died at the residence in Springwater on Tuesday Morning the 22nd instant in the 67th year of his age.

Mr. Grover's health had been infirm for some time, but he was able to be about and attend to his business till within a few days of his death. His funeral was attended at the Methodist Church on Thursday afternoon by a large company of relatives, and by the citizens of the town generally. . An impressive sermon was preached by Rev. J. L. S. Granden, pastor of the Methodist Church, front Gen. 5:27. A large choir, let by Professor W. W. Killip, of Geneseo, made music sweet, solemn and appropriate. After the sermon, Rev. W. Hunter, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, who has been acquainted with Mr. Grover for he last eighteen years, made a brief address in regard to his life and character. The following is the substance of Mr. Hunter's remarks:

"The presence of this large and respectable audience is evidence that death has removed from midst a prominent and highly respected citizen."

"Hon S. G. Grover, whose decease we all mourn, was born in Mayfield, Montgomery county in this State, on the 25th day of April, 1793. His father, Hon. John Grover, moved to Cayuga county when the deceased was about three years old. The place where he settled in the town, is still called "Grover settlement". Subsequently he moved to Auburn. He was for many years one of the Judges of Cayuga county, and at different times held several Cayuga county, and at different times held several other important offices. The people of Auburn named one of their beautiful street "Grover Street" in honor of Judge Grover. the deceased was the Judge's eldest sons. In Auburn, loveliest village 'of the plain' , now a city, he spent the early part of his life in the mercantile business. When he moved from that place he left behind many warm friends among its prominent citizens. One of his early acquaintances, with whom he always kept up a friendly correspondence, was ex-Governor Seward. The friendship existing between this distinguished Senator and the family of the deceased was early formed, and cemented by a peculiar and tender tie. Mr. Seward, when nearly twenty years old, was saved from drowing by the prompt and timely exertions of Mrs. Grover"

Mr. Grover moved to this place twenty-nine years ago. He soon won the confidence and esteem of the people here. He served the town as Supervisor and Justice of the Peace for several years. In 1834 he was elected member of the Assembly from this district. The duties of offices conferred upon him he discharged both with ability and fidelity.

The deceased inherited, from his father many noble qualities of mind and heart. He did not write much for the press. But his newspaper articles, which were oftener composed as a matter of pastime than otherwise; show that he possessed ability as a writer. He was a man of a social, kind and generous nature. His benevolent impulses inclined hi to help the needy and made his the friend and counselor of those in trouble. Not un frequently did he act and a peace-maker, and in his efforts as such, he was generally successful. As the law of kindness was in his heart, his disposition mild and winning, and his deportment courteous, it is not strange that he had no enemies. One thing may be said of him, which is an honor to any man, that is, that he loved little children, and was beloved by them. The children passing along these streets will miss his friendly greetings. Especially will his grand-children miss him, for he was never more happy than when in their society, and trying to make them happy.

Auburn Daily Advertiser, Auburn, New York December 20, 1859

Grover, Hon. Solomon G.,

died in Springwater, N.Y., Nov 22, in the 67th yr of his age. Worthy son of Hon. John Grover, one of the earliest settlers of Cayuga Co. Left this county some 29 yrs ago (1830) and had honorably filled many places of public trust in Springwater where he has lived and died.

[Contributor's note]: Came from [repository] Seymour Public Library, Auburn, New York From newspaper abstracts Vol 6 by Crosby & Daniells & Owasco D.A.R.

Buried at Mt. Vernon Evergreen Cemetery, west of Springwater on Kellogg Road.

Author Robert L. Grover, Independence, MO visit on Oct 6, 2004 took the tombstone photo "Salmon G. Grover, 1793 - 1859"

[Source]: Mt. Vernon Cemetery, Livingston County Records, FHL film 1432308

[Contributor's note]: Grover, Hon. Solomon G., is an uncle, a nephew of my Revolutionary War patriot Captain John Grover 1712-1806.

Contributor: Robert L. Grover

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


Honeoye—Mrs. Blanch Guldner, 80, died Sunday (May 18, 1952) at Granite Springs. She was born in Groveland but passed part of her life near Honeoye. She was the wife of Charles Guldner, who taught schools in the Honeoye area for several years.

She leaves two sons, William and Charles. There will be a committal service in Lake View Cemetery, Honeoye, tomorrow at 11 a.m.

[Taken from] News clippings found in Magee farmhouse on Groveland Hill. The newspapers are unidentified but appear to be local. These have been posted with the permission of Anne Magee and transcribed [and contributed] by Anne Magee Tanner.

Advertiser, November 15, 1916, Elmira, NY

Deaths and Funerals

Frank G. Hall

Frank Granger Hall, a former banker in Elmira from 1866 to about 1885, died early Saturday morning at the Jackson Health Resort in Dansville. Mr. Hall was born in West Bloomfield, July 6, 1843. The greater part of his life was passed in Elmira and in Dansville, which had been his home since 1884. He married Marion A. Angell, who died a few years ago. She was a daughter of Jesse Angell, a pioneer of Dansville. There were seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall, Mrs. W. S. Oberdorf, of Dansville, formerly Miss Katharine Hall; Hiland B. Hall, of Detroit; Francis G. Hall, jr., of Germantown, Pa., Cornelia Hall, who died in infancy; John B. Hall, of New York City; Edwin A. Hall, of Dansville, and Mrs. Owen Garnsey, of New York City, formerly Miss Florence Hall.

About 1866 the late Lewis M. Smith and Mr. Hall opened a bank in the corner of Baldwin and Carroll streets, where the Leavitt flower store is now located. About 1880 Mr. Hall opened a private bank in the Rathbun Hotel building, where the Swarthout jewelry store is now located. He failed in that venture about 1885 and later moved with his family to Dansville, N.Y. While in Elmira the family resided in the former Benjamin residence on the northeast corner of Lake and East Third streets.

In the days of the late Mark Twain and the Rev. T. K. Beecher, Mr. Hall was interested in the proposition to erect a monument in memory of Adam.

Mr. Hall held considerable property interests in Elmira and was here frequently.

The funeral services were held in the Angell homestead, 76 Main street, on Saturday, the Rev. Marshall Harrington officiating.

Contributor: Carole Knowlton


Anthony W. Haney (Haeney), b. 1839 in Co. Mayo, Ireland; left there in 1849 with his parents, and settled in Avon & Geneseo, Livingston Co., NY. d. 12 Apr 1886, age 47 in Saxville, Waushara Co. WI; survived by his wife and 7 children, 4 sons and 1 daughter [as submitted]. Bur. in Pine River Cemetery, Waushara Co., WI.

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


George Heywood Dies; Mt. Morris Publisher, D & C Correspondent

Mt. Morris, March 26—Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Monday for George S. Haywood, 53, of Mt. Morris, owner and publisher of the Mt. Morris Enterprise weekly newspaper for the last eight years and correspondent for The Democrat and Chronicle for nearly 30 years.

Mr. Haywood died unexpectedly this morning (March 8, 1960) in Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, of an internal hemorrhage.

The service will be conducted by the Rev. Ernest W. Kerrison, pastor of Avon Methodist Church, and the Rev. John Mair, pastor of Mt Morris United Church in J. W. Martin & Son Funeral Home, Mt. Morris.

Friends may call Sunday and Monday. Burial will be in Mt. Morris Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Haywood published a 24-page 85th anniversary edition of the Enterprise last Thursday. He also was a director of the New York State Editorial Assn.

Mr. Haywood was a life-long resident of Mt. Morris and was active in many of the village’s community organizations.

He began as a reporter and general helper at the Mt. Morris Enterprise when he was 19. It was run then by his father, the late Raymond Haywood.

He was active on the newspaper all his life and eight years ago became its owner and publisher. He also was a correspondent for The Rochester Times-Union more than 25 years.

Mr. Haywood was chief of police for 20 years from about 1930 to 1950. During the same time he was a Livingston County deputy sheriff and a cons . Earlier he had been fire chief for a two-year term. He was a past president of the Living Stream Hose Co.

In 1951 and 1952 he was president of the Mt. Morris Board of Education and was secretary of the village’s Community Chest for two years.

Mr. Haywood was president of the Mt. Morris Rotary Club in 1945 and 1946, was a past deputy of the Belwood Lodge 315, Odd Fellows, and at the time of his death was president of the Mt. Morris Cemetery Assn. He also was a member of the Keshequa Grange in Tuscarora.

He is survived by his wife, Freeda Kellogg Haywood; his mother, Mrs. Inez M. Haywood of Mt. Morris; a daughter, Mrs. John H. Bool Jr. of Glendale, Ariz; a brother, Kenneth C. Haywood of Mt. Morris; a sister, Mrs. Ernest W. Kerrison of Avon, and two grandchildren. (A picture is included in this clipping.)

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


Mrs. Winifred Richmond Haywood, 47, wife of Kenneth C. Haywood, Mt. Morris, died Jan. 7, 1960, in her home at 110 Stanley St., Mt. Morris, after a long illness.

Besides her husband she is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Vern Cuddeback; two sons, Raymond and Kenneth all of Mt. Morris; her father, George W. Richmond of Groveland; a sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Erwin of Groveland; three brothers, William and Donald Richmond of Groveland and Kenneth Richmond of Dansville; a grand-daughter and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral service was held Saturday in the Shepard Funeral Home. Rev. Ernest W. Kerrison of Avon, former pastor of the Mt. Morris Methodist church, assisted by the Rev. John W. Muir of the United Church of Mt. Morris, officiated. Burial was in the Mt. Morris Cemetery.

The Nunda Times, Thursday, September 3, 1891.


John Calvin Herrick

was born in the town of Ossian, N.Y., March 23, 1837, and died in the town of Perry, August 24, 1891.

During the sessions of the Silver Lake Assembly and the Temperance Camp Meeting, Mr. Herrick spent most of the time with his family in his cottage at the lake. All the family but his wife had returned to their home. On Friday the 21st of August he drove over, intending to return with his wife on Monday, the 24th. Monday morning came, and though everything was in readiness, on account of the rain, he concluded to wait a few hours. Seizing this opportunity he determined to call upon an old-time friend, who had recently moved from Michigan and taken up his residence in Perry. Ascertaining that the train had passed, he took his umbrella and cane saying to his wife “I think perhaps I will walk down to the village.” Owing to his deafness he always carried the cane with him when walking on the railroad track, keeping it in constant touch with the rail, which enabled him to feel the slightest vibration and thus would be warned of approaching danger. More than half the distance had been traversed, and a sharp curve in the road had just been passed, when there darted around the curve behind, a swith (sic) engine with a car in front of it, and all the train hands on the engine. Before the warning could be sounded the train was upon him. Suddenly, as the lightning flash, he was usherered (sic) into the spirit land. Though quite deaf, under the same circumstances any person of acute hearing might have met with the same accident.

Mr. Herrick began his business career in Nunda village when as a boy of seventeen he entered the jewelry store of his brother, Charles W. Herrick, to learn the trade. Completing an apprenticeship of four years, he went to Mt. Morris and opened a shop where he did business for six years. In 1864 he returned to Nunda and entered into partnership with his brother of whom he had learned the trade. Four years after the partnership was dissolved and he opened a shop of his own. For twenty-seven years he led an honoraple (sic) business life.

On September 6, 1860, he was married to Catherine Lemen, daughter of the late Capt. J. Lemen. Six children came to bless their home. Two are with him in the other world, and four, - James A., Edith, Virginia and Franc, - survive him.

Twenty-two years ago, during the pastorate of Rev. J. L. Edson, he was soundly converted. For a number of years, owing to his growing deafness, he has been unable to participate in, and enjoy the various church privileges. This infirmity deprived him of much social enjoyment, besides being a sore trial. Through all the changing scenes of life, however, he was “soothed and sustained by an unfaltering trust” in his Redeemer. He started to meet an earthly friend, and lo, the Saviour met him and said, “It is enough, come up higher.” “For him to live was Christ, and to die was gain.”

The funeral services were held in the Methodist Episcopal church, Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock, the pastor officiating. Beautiful flowers, typical of the new life just begun in the heavenly land, were arranged by the Epworth League and other friends. These bore testimony to the warm love and sympathy felt for the bereaved family.

The family in turn desire to express herein, their sincere appreciation of the kindness of the friends at the lake, who so gently broke the terrible news to Mrs. Herrick; to the Epworth League; and to the many other friends who so kindly rendered assistance in the hour of trial.


Contributor: Anne Magee Tanner

Hitchcock, Laura M. Coe

Mrs. Laura M. Coe, the wife of Solomon Hitchcock of Conesus, N Y., passed from this to the higher life on the 9th instant, aged 71 years. She was one of those sweet spirits that filled a large place in the home circle, and swept a wide influence for good in the community in which she lived… This was in accordance with her faith—the grand guarantee of progress and happiness. She did not merely believe in the goodness and mercy of God, and a family gathering and greeting on the other shore, but she nurtured it in her daily life. Truly, the church in which she was cradled has lost one of its most devoted, self-sacrificing and sweet spirits… The funeral services were held at her late residence—in the beautiful mansion which she had adorned and moved in the quiet rounds of domestic life for over thirty years… A large circle of friends and neighbors gathered in the spacious rooms, with the minister she requested to be present in that hour…in the cheering hope of a family gathering at last around the throne of God. As she was passionately fond of flowers, the floral offerings were appropriate and beautiful. Thus a devoted husband with whom the departed had walked in sweet communion for nearly fifty years, a faithful son (an only child) who had taken upon himself every office of filial affection, five brothers and sisters, and a large circle of friends and neighbors are left to cherish in sweet memory her unfaltering faith, deeds of charity and love.

T. B.

Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe Co. NY, Fri. 20 Feb 1885

Transcribed on 17 Jan 2008 by Karen E. Dau of Rochester, NY

Hitchcock, Solomon

In the death and burial of Solomon Hitchcock, the town of Conesus has lost one of its oldest, ablest, and most respectable citizens. He died last Sunday morning after a long period of gradual decline, from Bright’s disease of the kidneys, nearly 77 years old, [unreadable] preaching a most fitting sermon. The deceased had been a life long Universalist, and had borne a character of unusual probity and worth. The death of his wife, about a year ago, a woman of rare excellence, added greatly to his burden of disease. To her efforts and gifts the society were mainly indebted for the new Universalist church. Mr. Hitchcock had a sunny nature, uniform brightness of countenance and cheerful presence, combined with firm will, prompt action and untiring perseverance. He was born in Dutchess county and came to Conesus in 1831, engaging at once in partnership with his brother Hector in the then-new enterprise of raising flue wool sheep. In fact, Hector Hitchcock brought, around 1828, the first flock of merino sheep ever seen in the towns of Conesus or Livonia. The venture proved successful and paid its pioneers handsome incomes. Andrew and Gardner Arnold and William Perrin soon followed suit, and Conesus became known for fine wool sheep, the breeding of which in late years has made parts of Livingston and Ontario counties so famous. In 1841 Mr. Hitchcock married Laura, daughter of John C. Coe, of Livonia. One son, Edward S., is the only child, inheriting a due estate and an honored name. The deceased was buried in the new [Arnold] cemetery. The bearers were Ezra W. Clark, Timothy Degraw, Patrick McNinch, B. F. McMillan, Jacob Albertson and Washington Durkee.

Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe Co. NY, Thu. 24 Jun 1886

Transcribed by Karen E. Dau of Rochester, NY


Mount Morris Union [Mount Morris, NY]. 30 Aug. 1917: 3. Print.


At St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester, on Sunday occurred the death of Mrs. Homer A. Hogmire, of Avon. Deceased was 55 years of age. She is survived by her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Edward A. Noble, of Avon; one son, Homer A. Hogmire, of Rochester; one brother, William Brothers, of Avon, and one sister, Mrs. Katherine Landers, of Mt. Morris.

Livingston Republican, April 12, 1945, page 5


- Mrs. Mary Burns Hume, 88, passed away Sunday, April 8, at the home of her sister, Mrs. William Gilmore. Born in North Ireland, Mrs. Hume came to Geneseo at an early age and has been a resident of this village since then. She was a member of St. James Methodist Episcopal Church.

Surviving, besides her sister, is a brother, Thomas Burns of this village, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services held at the home of Mrs. Gilmore, Wednesday, April 11, were in charge of the Rev. Edgar W. Sabin, nephew of the deceased, of Gorham, assisted by the Rev. Harold Blish of Geneseo. Interment was in Temple Hill Cemetery.

Elizabeth Johnson

Mount Morris Enterprise [Mount Morris, NY]. 22 Feb. 1956: 6. Print.


By Dr. James B. Jackson

Hon. Emerson Johnson, of the Jackson Sanatorium, died at the Brightside home at five o'clock Saturday, May 2nd [1896]. He died in the ripeness of years, falling asleep like a tired child at the close of a long summer day.

Mr. Johnson was born August 11th, 1812, in the Town of Sturbridge, Massachusetts. His grandfather, James Johnson, held the original grant of the homestead farm, and was one of the earliest original volunteers to enlist in the war of the revolution. His son, James Jr., father of Emerson, inherited the family estate, and was also a prominent citizen of Massachusetts, serving two terms in the State Legislature. Emerson was the seventh and youngest of his father's children. He received his education in the common and high schools of his town, finishing it at the celebrated Wilbraham Academy. He remained upon the homestead farm engaged in agriculture and lumbering until the year 1866. He was more than ordinarily successful as a business man, evolving out of the hard soil of his native town a considerable fortune. He filled many offices of trust in his native town, that of assessor for six years, for ten years a member of the school committee and as examiner of teachers and school visitors. In politics, Mr. Johnson was successively a whig, free soiler and Republican. In 1851 and gain in 1861 he was elected to the House of Representatives of Massachusetts, and in 1865 chosen to the State Senate. His influence won the vote, which turned to Charles Sumner, gave him one majority, and elected him to the United States Senate, a service which Senator Sumner gratefully acknowledged.

Mr. Johnson married in 1838 Miss Hannah Arnold, of Sturbridge. Three children were born of this marriage. James A., Katherine and Hannah. His son, James, responded to his country's call in 1861, and was killed at Spottsylvania Court House while commanding his company. The Grand Army Post of Sturbridge, Massachusetts, bears his name. Mr. Johnson married for his second wife, Miss Fanny L. Brown, a graduate of Mt. Holyoke Seminary, with whom he lived nearly fifty years. Mr. Johnson's daughter Katherine, married Dr. James H. Jackson, and Mr. Johnson came to Dansville to live with his children in 1866. He was very actively identified with the Jackson Sanatorium as steward, and superintendent of its out-door affairs. With faithful labor, great talent and money he materially promoted the growth and success of this great health institution. Mr. Johnson was shrewd, but kindly in all his business transactions, and interested in the intellectual and moral, as well as material welfare of the many workmen whom he employed. His private charities to these, and to others, were numerous and constant. He was filled with the spirit of public enterprise. His contributions were liberal to churches, and business enterprises promising good to Dansville.

It was in his domestic and religious life that Mr. Johnson was at his best. A man of strong religious convictions, he struggled bravely against the stern theology of the early days of New England. He loved and studied the Bible, and committed to memory many favorite passages. He was a great reader of sermons and theological works, and studied out the knotty questions of life for himself. He lived to see the great preachers of the age standing on the advanced ground of liberal thought that he had reached in his early manhood, and to behold the austere faith of Jonathan Edwards, adorned with the graces of love and mercy. In a childlike confidence, this great strong man of majestic presence, lived and died. He was a faithful attendant upon christian worship, rarely missing the morning chapel exercises at the Jackson Sanatorium for fifteen years. Mr. Johnson will long be remembered by the citizens of Livingston county for his manliness, his gentleness, sterling character and intellectual and practical ability. His mortal body lies buried in Greenmount cemetery at Dansville.

From Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Meeting of the Livingston County Historical Society. Held at Geneseo, N.Y., January 19, 1897. Nunda, N. Y.: C. K. Sanders, Book and Job Printer. 1897. Pp. 84 - 87.

James Burroughs Jones

Born 6 Jun 1834, Mt Morris, NY. Married Melissa Amelia Wing there on 4 Aug 1859. 1876 to Michigan. Died Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan, to be buried Avondale Cemetery, Genesee County, Michigan.

Tuscola County (Michigan) Genealogical Society

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified Year: 1921

Michael Joy

- Michael Joy, a well known farmer of the town of Springwater, died at the home of his daughter, Winnie Perkins at Liberty Pole, Monday Jan 24th, at the age of 66 years. Death being due to cancer of the mouth, following the extraction of a tooth last June, and in spite of all that the advanced thought of Medical Science, including Radium and X-ray could do, while kind and loving hands made his last hours comfortable, death came quietly and peacefully Monday noon. Michael Joy was the son of Michael Joy and Ellen Sullivan and was born in the town of Springwater, Dec 26, 1854. In October, 1877 he was united in marriage with Exie Dieter, to them two children Winnie and Charles. were born. Mr. Joy has been engaged in farming all of his life and was a man of large acquaintance. He is survived by one brother, John Joy of Rochester, his widow Exie Joy and one daughter of Liberty Pole and one son Dr. Charles Joy of Sonyea. Funeral Thursday at 2pm at the home of his daughter, Mrs Erwin Perkins . Interment at Liberty Pole cemetery.

Contributor: Louis Michael (Mike) Joy, great-grandnephew.

Adelbert H. Knapp

Mount Morris Union [Mount Morris, NY]. 1 Apr. 1915: 3. Print.

Dansville Express 6-25-1936

Clarence Knowlton

Dansville - Private funeral services for Clarence Knowlton, 77, who died suddenly from a heart attack Saturday morning, were held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Babcock in Pine Street, Monday afternoon. Interment was made in Greenmount Cemetery. Mr. Knowlton was stricken as he was sitting on the lawn at his daughter's home where he resided. For many years he was associated with his father, the late Frederick Knowlton, in operating the Knownton Paper Mills at Poag's Hole. In later life he engaged in monument salesmanship. Surviving are his daughter, Mrs. Babcock, and two sons, Paul of this village, and Guy of Buffalo.

Contributor: Sally Carrier

Letter, dated 9/27/89 from M.H. Meade, Deputy Historian, Livingston County. Includes an abstracted obituary. Letter in Lake Family File, Historian's office, Mount Morris, NY.

Mount Morris Union, May 25, 1899, p. 3 col 3

Death of Orrin Lake

Oldest citizen of this town . . . a fall left him weakend . . . before that he was a vigorous and active man.

His father, Rev. Warren (sic) (Warner) Lake came from Ct. in 1797 with a cart and a pair of steers to Kortwright, Del. Co . . . then 1815 to Springport, Cayuga Co, until 1830 to Mount Morris. He was a Baptist minister there for over 40 years. Warren (sic) Lake died 9/29/1848, wf. Elizabeth (Williams) died 9/24/1834. She was b. 1/5/1767.

Orrin was 25 when he came with his father and mother. In 1837 was elected Supervisor of Mt. Morris. In 1844 and much later in 1877 he represented Mt. Morris in the County Legislature.

His business was farming until he became in 1861 the assistant Assessor for Int. Revenue Service for the 25th Dist. (Livingston, Ontario & Yates Counties) -- for 10 yrs. His politics were Republican and before that, Whig.

Three times married: 1) Sarah Gunn, son Jerome d. 1898. Sarah d. 1849 and he married her sister, Martha Gunn 2) and 3) Mrs. Elmira Meade, who survives. Grandchildren surviving: Orrin C., Harry and Sarah, all of Groveland.

Contributor: Liz Cornish

The Lima Recorder, March 1, 1888, page 1

Another Sad and Sudden Death

Charles Lee

Again death has come into our midst with startling suddenness, striking where least expected, and plunging a happy family into the deepest mourning with scarcely a moment's warning. Monday morning the intelligence spread that Charles Lee was dead. He had been in good health until a few days before his death, when he complained of a slight pain in his side. Nothing was thought of it however, but Sunday evening he was taken with an acute attack of neuralgia, and suddenly at about six o'clock Monday morning it went to his heart, and caused immediate death. Mr. Lee was 62 years old, and had been a resident of Lima for many years. He leaves a wife, two sons and two daughters to mourn the death of one who was as kind and indulgent a husband and father as ever lived. The family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sudden and terrible bereavement.

Contributor: Martha S. Magill, Asst. State Coordinator, NYGenWeb

Transcribed from newspaper clipping with date handwritten on it.

Aug. 30, 1890


Captain Jas. Lemen Expires Suddenly.

When it was reported on the streets Saturday evening, that Capt. Jas. Lemen, the veteran soldier, was dead, people could hardly credit the report, as he had been about that day, apparently as well as usual, and had gone up to Mr. John Grime’s place in the afternoon. In fact the editor of the News doubted the report when it first came to him, as in driving by Capt. Lemen’s house Saturday afternoon, Dr. Kneeland was seen as about driving away, and Mrs. Lemen stood at the gate. Our first thought was that the Captain was ill and that his old regimental surgeon, Dr. Kneeland, had been summoned. But on inquiry, the Dr. said the Captain was not sick, and Mrs. Lemen added she was glad to say that he was not ill, and in fact he was not at home. This gave us reason to think there was some mistake about the report that he was ill that afternoon and had expired suddenly.

But the life of the veteran soldier went out as suddenly as if he had fallen in battle, but it was in his own home, surrounded by his wife and friends. He had gone up to Mr. Grimes on East Hill, in the afternoon, and while there said he felt sick, and that he thought he had better go home. Mr. Grimes hitched up at once and brought him down, arriving about 5 p.m. The Captain walked into the house, and although insisting that he was not much sick, Dr. Lamont was sent for. He declined to go to bed and sat upon the couch, saying there was nothing serious the matter, but suddenly the vital spark had fled while he was sitting upright, and in less than two hours from the time he reached home, Captain Lemen was dead.

Captain Lemen was a veteran soldier of the Union army, and served his country faithfully and well for three years. He raised a company for the 130th regiment, which was lately known as the First New York Dragoons, and was commissioned as Captain. He served in that capacity and was with his regiment during every engagement, receiving only a slight wound from which he drew a pension of $10 per month. All the officers and men of this gallant regiment, which participated in 44 engagements, say that no soldier did his duty more faithfully than Captain Lemen. The re-unions of his regiment he always took great interest in, and the annual meeting of those with whom he served three years in the army was the most important and pleasant event of the year. He was anticipating the re-union held on Thursday last more than usual, as he talked about it frequently, and was glad that it was to be held on the old grounds at Portage.

Captain Lemen was one of the charter members and the first commander of Craig Wadsworth Post, No. 417 G.A.R., of Nunda, and served acceptably for three years. He took great interest in the organization and in the welfare of the old soldiers. It was very proper therefore, and we believe it was his wish, that the Grand Army Post to which he was attached should take charge and conduct the funeral service. Memorial Day was an occasion, which he always desired to be appropriately observed, and he was always prominent and faithful in its observance.

Captain Lemen was 75 years of age last June. Mrs. Calvin Herrick, of Nunda, and Mrs. Sam’l Brayton, of Dansville, are his daughters. One son, Frank, and a step-son, Mr. John Donaldson, reside west. He has lost three wives, and his fourth survives him. He was a brother of ex-Sheriff Wm. Lemen, and Archibald, of Dansville, Lewis of Ossian, and John M. of Jackson, Mich.

Captain Lemen was for many years a member of the Board of Education of the Nunda Union school. He has been engaged in no permanent business since the war, but has held various offices, and was at one time superintendent of this section of the canal, and was Postmaster of Nunda under the Johnson administration. He was a useful, worthy and respected citizen, as he was a good soldier.

Craig Wadsworth Post furnished a handsome floral pillow with the word “comrades” in purple flowers. Mrs. C. Smith whose husband was in the same regiment furnished a very beautiful floral anchor while there were exquisite baskets of flowers from other friends.

The services were largely attended at the Baptist church and there was a long procession of Grand Army men in line as escort. The following soldiers acted as guard of honor, under charge of Officer of the Day, A. J. Frayer, all of them being Commanders or ex-Commanders of Posts: C. S. Lynde, Dalton; C. J. Perry, Mt. Morris; Monahan, Hunts; Fay, Canaseraga; Hinkly, Hunts; Gray, Nunda. The active bearers were H. Peck, D. S. Atkins, C. Hagadorn, H. McMaster, D. S. Robinson, Frank Jones with a large number of old residents as honorary bearers.

There was a delegation from Hunts Post, Van Ostrand Post, Short Tract, Weed Post Canaseraga, with many soldiers from abroad. Col. Geo. Hyland of Dansville, C. J. Perry and Dr. C. H. Mills, of Mt. Morris, Dr. Rae of Portageville; Maj. B. T. Kneeland and others who were in the same regiment with Capt. Lemen.

Contributor: Anne Magee Tanner

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.

Died at Nunda.

Virginia Lemen

On the 27th of July, Virginia, youngest daughter of Mr. James Lemen, formerly of Ossian, aged 14 years. She was of an amiable disposition, naturally very conscientious, and there sprung up around her many young friends now left to mourn her loss. During the winter her active mind was busily engaged in study. Then her prospects for life were as bright as any of those with whom she mingled her gentle voice in accents of love. But when the spring time dawned, and the earth began to smile, unlike the birds and flowers that were waking to beauty, her young form began to droop. Sure, though gradual was the work of that fatal destroyer, consumption; it preyed upon her vitals, and her friends feared that she must die. For a long while she felt concern for her eternal welfare; and when kind, pitying friends came near, she wished they might pray with her. But when she felt to consecrate herself to God, sweet peace spread delight throughout her soul, and she was happy. She called to her bedside the members of the family and earnestly entreated each to seek an interest in the Savior she loved, ere it was too late.

Early on the Sabbath morning, her peaceful spirit took its flight, and as we trust was borne on wings of angels to Heaven. On the following morning after religious exercises her remains were taken to the home of her earliest years. In Ossian a sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Darling, the Presbyterian minister of that place, from the words, “I will trust and not be afraid,” after which remarks were offered by the Rev. Mr. Metcalf of Nunda. At the grave a few lines were sung by a band of her young associates of Nunda, written for the occasion. May all to whom she was dear prepare to meet her in Heaven; then the separation here will not be long.

Then weep kind friends for her no more, Be this your constant prayer, Where every tear is wiped away, Where reigneth pure and endless day, That you may meet her there.

- - - - - -


You’ve left us dearest Jennie; Upon the Sabbath day, Just like a morning sunbeam, Your spirit passed away. Another rose has faded Upon its parent tree, For death’s dark wings are shaded, Dear sister, over thee.

We bring the heart’s pure offering, For each one gives a tear, And summer’s brightest flowers We scatter o’er your bier. Like you they’re frail and fading, Each withers as it blows, For your pale form, dear Jennie, Is like a withered rose.

We mourn you left our circle, We weep that you should die, In life’s young golden summer, When fondest hopes are high. But Jesus loved you Jennie, And let kind angels come, They bore you kindly, gently, To their bright heavenly home.

Yes, now your cherub spirit Is chanting heavenly songs, The angels tune your harp strings Amid the seraph throng. Then may we meet in Heaven, When we too come to die, And sing with you in glory, Then Jennie dear, - good bye.

Contributor: Anne Magee Tanner

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


GROVELAND—Mrs. Margaret Linton, 59, widow of H. Seymour Linton of Groveland, died yesterday (May 11, 1963) in Dansville Memorial Hospital, Dansville.

She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Alexander (Mary) Newlands of Groveland; a son, Roger Linton of Pittsford; a grandson; a brother, Atwood Barber of Groveland, and several nieces and nephews.

Friends may call at the W. S. Rector & Sons Funeral Chapel, 111 Main St., Geneseo, from 3 to 5 and from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday. The service will be conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m., in the chapel. Burial will be in Lakeview Cemetery, Groveland.

[Taken from] News clippings found in Magee farmhouse on Groveland Hill. The newspapers are unidentified but appear to be local. These have been posted with the permission of Anne Magee and transcribed [and contributed] by Anne Magee Tanner.

Transcribed from newspaper clipping – newspaper unidentified.


Mr. Morris – James C. Love, 65, Craig Colony employe (sic), died Friday (Feb. 3, 1950) in Peterson Hospital, Sonyea, where he had been a patient for the past several weeks.

He was born in Groveland and spent his entire life in this community. He entered service with the State of New York at Craig Colony in 1920 as a fireman at the power plant and several years ago was promoted to the position of filter plant operator. He retired shortly before his death on Friday after completing 30 years of service.

In addition to his duties at Sonyea he conducted a small farm in the Mt. Morris-Groveland Rd. for many years.

He was a member of the Craig Colony Chapter of the New York State Civil Service Employes (sic) Association and a prominent member of Belwood Lodge, IOOF, Mt. Morris, and of Starlight Rebekah Lodge, Mt. Morris. He was a past grand of the IOOF and served as an officer of several Livingston District IOOF installing staffs. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church.

Besides his wife, Mrs. Beatrice Love, he leaves six children, Mary, Naomi, David, and Jean at home; Robert of Groveland, Donald of the U. S. Marine Corps stationed in California; two sisters, Mrs. Mary McCalicuth of Sonyea, Mrs. David Macaulloy of Groveland; one grand-daughter, one niece and two nephews.

Funeral will be conducted in his home tomorrow at 1 p. m. with the Rev. Valentine Allison of Groveland and the Rev. Joseph Sunter of Bergen officiating. Services at the grave in Mt. Morris Cemetery will be in accordance with the IOOF ritual.

[Taken from] News clippings found in Magee farmhouse on Groveland Hill. The newspapers are unidentified but appear to be local. These have been posted with the permission of Anne Magee and transcribed [and contributed] by Anne Magee Tanner.

Return to Livingston County GenWeb Homepage

Last Edited 04 Dec 2014

© Copyright 2015
Livingston County GenWeb