Livingston County Historian: Amie Alden
Address: 5 Murray Hill Dr, Livingston County Campus, Mount Morris, NY 14510
Hours: Monday-Friday, 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Website: County Historian
Livingston County histories, some indexed by names.
Assorted published genealogies.
CEMETERY MARKERS: 1800 - 1885
A card file index from a cemetery reading of legible cemetery markers in
Livingston County prior to 1885.
On microfilm: Federal census: 1790 - 1920; State census: 1855, 1915, 1925
Indexed, NYS: 1790 - 1860 (latter is western NY only)
CHURCH RECORDS: (See MICROFILM and SCRAPBOOKS)
CLIPPINGS AND PAMPHLET FILE: 1850(approx.) -
Newspaper clippings and pamphlets relating to Genesee Valley history,
transporation, 1976 Bicentennial celebrations and commemorations, villages, hamlets, churches, businesses,
and schools of Livingston County.
Also clippings of articles by Arch Merrill on the history of the Rochester-Genesee
Valley region of Western New York
Correspondence on names that have been researched by the Historian.
MAPS/ATLASES: 1819 - 1974
- Atlases of Allegany, Cattaraugus, Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Steuben,
and Wyoming Counties, 1852-1873.
- Livingston County atlases include those of Smith and Gillette, Philadelphia,
1852; Jonathan E. Gillette, Philiadelphia, 1858;
- F.W. Beers, New York, 1872
- The New Century Atlas with Farm Records, Century Map Co., Phila.,PA, 1902.
- Map of Cuylerville, c.1820
- York Landing, drawn from memory by Arthur B. Donnan, c. 1960
- Maps of early stage roads in the town of Lima, by Mrs. Carl Burton,
and in the town of Conesus, by Mrs. Lola Smith
- Town of York, c.1819
- Points of Interest of the town of York, by Arthur B. Donnan, n.d.
- Map of Murray Hill, by Anna S. Patchett, 1974
- Map of New York State Historical Markers and cemeteries in Livingston County, c. 1932;
- Map of pre-1830 Livingston County cemeteries, n.d.
MICROFILM COLLECTION: 1797 -
10 reels (as of 1981)
- Livingston County newpapers, 1824 - ;
- Federal census: 1790-1920; State census 1855, 1915, 1925
- Miscellaneous town and village records, scrapbooks, diaries, and
church records, including the recorsd of the First Presbyterian Church, East Avon, the United
Presbyterian Church, York, and the First Presbyterian Church, Livonia Center.
MOVIE AND TAPE RECORDINGS COLLECTION: 1951 -
10 reels and 54 tapes
- Films of places and events in Avon and Geneseo including rededication
of the Monolith, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Geneseo, 1957:
- Film of Avon Springs in 1957
- Film of Avon Sesquicentennial Celebration, 1958
- Sound recordings (reels and cassettes) of miscellaneous events and
reminiscences of long-time residents of Livingston County.
NEWPAPERS: c.1824 - present
Newpapers on microfilm, county wide c.1824 -
Some newspapers have been indexed (1824-1900) for birth, marriages, and deaths.
PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION: 1870 (approx.) -
Photographs are grouped by town and sudivided by subjects, including people,
buildings, hamlets, villages, churches, businesses, and schools.
Other catagories include Livingston County, surrounding counties, Genesee Valley,
Also included are photos of New York State historic sites in Livingston
County, daguerreotypes of the Geneseo Normal School, and the Colt, Bacon,
Reed, and Wheelock familes.
SCRAPBOOKS AND RECORDS COLLECTION: 1815 -
77 vols.(as of 1981)
- Miscellaneous records of various school districts
- Record books of the German Lutheran Church of Sparta, 1837
- Bylaws and minute book of the Genesee Salt Company, Piffard, 1907
- Lakeville Post Office records, 1828-1840
- Records book of the Geneseo Club
- Records book of the Liberal Club, Geneseo, 1936-1942
- Records of the Geneseio Visiting Nurse Association, 1914-
- Records of churches and religious organizations, including:
- Lakeville Baptist Church, 1830-1869
- Livingston County Sunday School Teachers Assc.,1857
- First Baptist Society of Mt. Morris, 1827-1848
- Sunday School and Epworth League of Mt.Morris Methodist Episcopal Church
- West Sparta Sunday School Assc., 1864-1875.
- Also miscellaneous scrapbboks and diaries dealing with local events and
miscellaneous town records.
VETERANS' RECORDS: Revolutionary War through Vietnam War
Information on birth, service, and death of Livingston County servicemen
(if veteran entered service from Livingston County), including records of some
Revolutionary War veterans who came to Livingston County.
VITAL STATISTICS FILE: 1824-1900
Births, marriages and deaths of Geneseo from newpapers, 1924-1900
Dansville, Nunda, Mt.Morris also indexed but scattered copies of some
* FEES: Please email the Historian's Office for information on thier fees.
** When writing included a self addressed stamped envelope.
Back to Livingston County GenWeb Home Page