Town of Groveland - 1789

Livingston County, New York


You are the 23026 visitor, since 11/03/97.


French's Gazetteer of New York State, 1860

GROVELAND---was formed Jan. 27, 1789. A part of Conesus was taken off in 1819, and a part of Sparta in 1856. It lies near the center of the co. Its surface is moderately hilly. In the W. part are extensive flats, occupying about one-fourth of the area of the town. The principal streams are Canaseraga and Coshaqua Creeks, which empty into the Genesee River near the N.W. corner of the town. The soil upon the upland is clay loam, and upon the flats a rich alluvium. Groveland Corners, (Groveland p.o.,) E. of the N. part, contains 1 church and 14 houses. Hunts Corners,(East Groveland p.o.,) in the N. part, contains 1 church and 9 houses. Groveland Center, is a p.o. in the N.W. part. The first settlement was made by Charles Williamson, agent for the Pulteney Estate, in 1792. In that year he built several houses in the N.W. corner of the town, and there located a small colony of Germans, and called the settlement "Williamsburgh." This colony soon left, and the entire village disappeared. In the S.W. part at the junction of the Dansville Branch with the G.V. Canal, is a Shaker settlement, numbering 120 persons, they own a tract of 2,000 acres. There are 2 churches in town; M.E. and Presb.

Cemeteries

NAME
EST.
LOCATION
SIZE +/-
Craig Colony I
ca 1895
Located in Sonyea State Forest, off Union Corner Rd.
+100
Craig Colony II
ca 1900
Sonyea, adjacent to prison grounds, off Moyer Rd.
+1000
Glenwood 1812 South of Groveland Corners, on Groveland Hill Rd.
+250
Lakeview
- - - -
South end of Conesus Lake, on David Gray Hill Rd.
+1000
Shaker
ca 1837
Southwest corner of town, near Sonyea, off Moyer Rd.
+50
Pioneer 1807 Center of town, on Groveland Station Rd.
+50
Willamsburg 1792 Off Rte 63, south of Geneseo, on Abele Rd.
+100

Resources

TOWN CLERK: Sandra Bean, 4955 Aten Road, Groveland, NY 14462 585-243-1750.
TOWN HISTORIAN: Phyllis Dreywood, 4955 Aten Road, Groveland, NY 14462, eMail Historian@grovelandny.org

BOOKS

  • Boyd, William, History of Conesus, New York, 1887.
  • Doty, Lockwood R., A History of Livingston County, New York, Geneseo,NY, E.E. Doty, 1876.
  • Doty, Lockwood R., History of the Genesee Country, Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Co., 1925.
  • Moose, Lloyd, History of the Story Road and Vicinity(1932, Sparta-Springwater area), Hornell,NY, Alice M. Oakes, 1981.
  • Patchett, Anna E., Historically Speaking,(Shaker Settlement), Geneseo, Livingston County Historical Society, 1978. (63 pages)
  • Smith, James H., History of Livingston County, New York, Syracuse,NY, D.Mason & Co., 1881.
ORGANIZATIONS :
American Legion, Halley Allen Post, Route 36, Sonyea, NY 14556

CHURCHES:

Calvary Chapel of the Genesee Valley, 5696 Groveland Hill Rd (585)243-0640
Groveland Federated Church, Groveland Corners, 6616 Groveland Hill Rd., Groveland, NY 14462, (585) 243-2638
Sparta First Presbyterian Church, Groveland Station, Groveland,NY 14462 (585)243-3324

FOOTNOTES

[in 1792.] Among the early settlers were Wm. Ewens, Wm. Lemon, John Ewart, and W. Harris. The first school was taught at "Williamsburgh," by Samuel Murphy, about 1793. The first mill was built by Charles Scholl, for Chas. Williamson, on Lot 58, in 1797; the first inn was kept in "Williamsburgh," by Wm. Lemon, in 1795; and the first store, in the same place, by Alexander McDonald, in 1795 or '96. (back)



Last modified - Wednesday, 05-Feb-2014 08:37:15 MST
© 2014 Livingston county GenWeb

Return to Livingston County GenWeb Homepage