LIMA---was formed, as
"Charleston," in Jan. 27, 1789. Its
name was changed April 6, 1808. It is the N.E. corner
of the county. Its surface is undulating and hilly. It is
drained cheifly by Honeoye Creek, which forms the E.
boundry. The soil in the S.E. is clay and clay loam,
and in the N.W. sandy and gravelly loam.
Lima,(p.v.) near the center, was incorp.
---,----. It contains 4 churches, the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, Genesee
College, and about 1,200 inhabitants. South
Lima.(p.v.)--Hamilton Station, on the B.N.Y.
& E.R.R., - in the S.W. corner, contains 13
houses. Settlement was commenced by Paul Davidson and
Jonathan Gould, from Penn., in 1788. The first religious society (Presb.) was
organized Oct. 1, 1795, by Rev. Daniel Thatcher.
|Baptist||South of village, on Rte 15A, near golf course.||+100|
|Cummins Corner||North of village, off Rte 15A, on Corby Rd.|
|New Methodist||In the village, on College Street (west of Rt. 15A).|
|Oak Ridge||West of village, off Rt. 5 & 20, on Livonia Ctr Rd.|
|Old Methodist||Center of village, on Rt. 15A (north of Rt. 5 & 20).|
|St. Rose||In the village, off Buell Ave., end of Evergreen St.||+500|
TOWN CLERK : Town of Lima, 7329 East Main St., Lima, NY 14485
TOWN HISTORIAN: Doug Morgan, 7329 East Main St., Lima, NY 14485
LIBRARY : Lima Public Library, 1872 Genesee Street, Lima
American Legion, Francis M. Dalton Post 282, Box 311, Lima
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Kenneth B. Keating Post No.26, Lima
Elim Gospel Church, 7245 College Street, Lima, NY 14485 (585) 624-5560
Lima Baptist Church, 1575 Rochester Sreet, Lima (585) 624-3610
Lima Presbyterian Church, 7295 West Main Street, Lima (585) 624-3850
St.Rose Catholic Church, 1985 Lake Avenue, Lima (585) 624-1005
[Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, Genesee College,] These institutions are located on a beautiful eminence in the N.W. part of the village. The seminary was founded in 1830 by the Genesee Conference of the M.E. Church. it was opened for pupils in 1822. The first building erected at a cost of $20,000, was destroyed by fire in May, 1842. The present building was immediately erected of brick, at a cost of about $24,000. It has a main S. front of 136 feet, with an E. and W. front, by wings extending back each 96 feet. Between these wings ia a paved court. A farm of 70 acres is attached to the institution. This seminary has sent out more students than any other institution in Western New York. The college was founded in 1849, has ==professorships, and is under the general supervision of the Genesee and East Genesee Conference of M.E. Church. (back)
[in 1788] Abner Miles, from Mass., settled in 1789; John Miner and Asahel Burchard in 1790; Steven Tinker and Solomon Hovey, from Mass., in 1791; and Col. Thomas Lee, Willard and Amasa Humphrey, Reuben and Gideon Thayer, Col. David Morgan, and Zebulon, Moses, Ashel, William, and Daniel H. Warner, from Mass., previous to 1795. The first marriage was that of Simeon Gray and Patty Alger, in 1793; the first death, that of Mrs. Abbott, mother of Mrs Paul Davidson, in 1791. John Sabin taught the first school, in 1792 and '93. Reuben Thayer kept the first inn, in 1793, and Tryon & Adams the first store, in 1794. The first sawmill was built by Reuben Thayer, in 1796; and Zebulon Norton built the first gristmill, in 1794. (back)
[religious society] The census reports 6 churches in town; M.E., Presb., Bap., Univ., Christian, and R.C. (back)
© Copyright Livingston County, New York GenWeb