Town of North Dansville - 1846
Livingston County, New York
You are the 24907 visitor, since 11/03/97.
For more information and history of Dansville, please visit the Dansville Community Home Page.
|Greenmount||=====||South end of village off Gibson St. to Greenmount Ave.||+10000|
|Holy Cross||====||South of village off of Rte 63.||+????|
|Kidd-Fronk||====||Northeast corner of town, on Kidd Road||+????|
TOWN CLERK : Tim Wolfanger, 14 Clara Barton Street, Dansville, NY 14437
TOWN HISTORIAN : Quentin Masolotte, 3 Greenmount Ave., Dansville, NY 14437
LIBRARIES: Dansville Public Library(see for Collections), 200 Main Street, Dansville
FOOTNOTES[Canasaeraga] Can-a-se-ra-ga, an Indian name signifying "among te slippery elms." (back)
[Seminary] This institution was started in the spring of 1858. The building and grounds cost $12,000 to $15,000. It is under the supervision of the M. E. denomination. (back)
[same time] Among the other settlers were Daniel P., Samuel, and James Faulkner, Nathaniel and William Porter, from Penn., in 1796; Jacob Welsh, Jacob Martz, and his son Conrad, George Shirey, and Frederick Barnhart, Penn., 1798. William Phenix, James Logan, David Sholl, and John Vandeventer, were also early settlers. The first marriage was that of William McCartney and Mary McCurdy. Thomas McLain taught the first school, in 1798 of '99; Samuel Faulkner kept the first inn, in 1796; Daniel P. Faulkner, the first store, in 1797 and 1798; David Scholl erected the first sawmill, in 1795, and the first gristmill, in 1796. Mr Scholl was Charles Williamson's millwright, and built the mills for the Pulteney Estate. (back)
[church] There are 9 churches in town; 2 Presb., 2 R.C., Prot. E., M.E., Bap., Evang. Luth., and Germ. Evang. Ref. (back)