Town of Ossian - 1808
Livingston County, New York
You are the 13673 visitor, since 11/03/97.
|Ossian Center||----||Ossian Hill Road(Co.9), near Fire Hall and Town Garage.||+500|
|Westview||----||north section of town, on Rte 436, west of Kenney and McNinch Roads.||+200|
|Wood||----||Ossian Hill Road(Co.9), just east of Knapp Road.||+250|
TOWN CLERK : Carmetta Shattuck, Ossian Town Clerk, Dansville, NY 14437
TOWN HISTORIAN : Alice Fenton, 10613 Sugar Creek Rd., Dansville,NY 14437
[in 1804.] Among the other early settlers were Richard N. Porter, Jas. Haynes, and James Croghan, about 1806, Jacob Clendenin, in 1807, Orrison Cleveland, Wm. na dJohn Gould, and Heman Orton, about 1810. Luther Bisbee was an early settler in the N.W. corner of the town. The first child born was Abraham Porter, in 1805; the first marriage was that of John Gelson and Betsey Shay, in 1816; and the first death, that of John Turner, killed by the fall of a tree, in 1807. ---- Weston taught the first school, in 1813 and '14; Oliver Stacy kept the first inn, in 1817; and Daniel Canfield the first store, in 1824. The first sawmill was built by Nathaniel Porter, in 1808 or '09; amd the first gristmill, by John Smith, in 1826 (back)
[formed Sept. 29, 1818] There are 2 churches in town; Presb. and M.E. (back)
Special thanks to Rootsweb for providing this webspace.